PDA

View Full Version : Is D'Antoni the ideal guy for GSW?

JasonJohnHorn
05-07-2014, 07:29 PM
I am not a huge fan of 'Antoni, but if there is a roster that is a perfect fit for his system, it seems like it might be the Warriors.

Great passing/shooting point guard, solid shooters around him, forwards and centers that have a little range and can step out to pop out on the P&R or roll in.

I'd frankly like to see somebody who could run the kind of offense the Spurs run and play their style of defense, but in terms of the offensive set, 'Antoni might be able make the Warriors better in that department.

Don't expect him to get a job again after the NY and LA debacles, and there are a few guys I would take over 'Antoni, but it would make for an interesting pairing.

Thoughts?

mdm692
05-07-2014, 07:31 PM
God no lol. :laugh: This shouldn't even be a question. And his name should be Mike Antoni since he doesn't believe in D.

mdm692
05-07-2014, 07:34 PM
They should talk to Alvin Gentry. He would be a great fit and has plenty of experience as well as success.

Chronz
05-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Are the bigs really his kind tho?

Kashmir13579
05-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Curry would dominate in his system.

Kashmir13579
05-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Plus they have enough solid defenders which is a must because D'antoni can't teach it.

smith&wesson
05-07-2014, 07:43 PM

lee sure, Bogut they would have to trade.

I dont think its a good idea anyways. Dantoni's system cuoldnt get to the finals with a prime Nash,Marion, Stat, Joe Johnson, Diaw, Barbosa, Bell etc. its just not a good system.

Crackadalic
05-07-2014, 07:51 PM

I dont think its a good idea anyways. Dantoni's system cuoldnt get to the finals with a prime Nash,Marion, Stat, Joe Johnson, Diaw, Barbosa, Bell etc. its just not a good system.

I hate dantoni so much but If it wasn't for that suspension and that crook ref fixing game 3 then though would have beaten the spurs or at least a legitimate shot.

Dantoni will make curry top 5 MVP. Book it

NBA_Starter
05-07-2014, 08:04 PM
If they care nothing about defense then sure.

rhino17
05-07-2014, 08:06 PM
He is a terrible coach, any team he coaches is gonna be bad at defense

LAKobeBryant
05-07-2014, 08:17 PM

green and lee are definitely fits

Dade County
05-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Curry would win the Mvp for the next 2yrs, then D'antoni would get fired.

mudvayne387
05-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Sure if you want to win 55-60 regular season games and then get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs because teams ramp up their play ....

JEDean89
05-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Dantoni is never the ideal guy

jerellh528
05-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Dantoni may work for that spread team. One thing is for sure, curry would be even more beastly under him.

Triple_Ocho
05-08-2014, 03:45 AM
I am not a huge fan of 'Antoni, but if there is a roster that is a perfect fit for his system, it seems like it might be the Warriors.

Great passing/shooting point guard, solid shooters around him, forwards and centers that have a little range and can step out to pop out on the P&R or roll in.

I'd frankly like to see somebody who could run the kind of offense the Spurs run and play their style of defense, but in terms of the offensive set, 'Antoni might be able make the Warriors better in that department.

Don't expect him to get a job again after the NY and LA debacles, and there are a few guys I would take over 'Antoni, but it would make for an interesting pairing.

Thoughts?

God no lol. :laugh: This shouldn't even be a question. And his name should be Mike Antoni since he doesn't believe in D.

These 'Antoni jokes are still so funny 5 years later.....................

Goose17
05-08-2014, 05:16 AM
I don't want D'Antoni anywhere near this team.

Kaner
05-08-2014, 05:32 AM
That team would sure be fun but I'd go with no. He already has had the ideal team in Phoenix and they never did anything.

chipurmunki
05-08-2014, 06:53 AM
i sure as hell hope he goes there and completes the crash-and-burn of that sorry-as franchise just as he's done elsewhere.

JasonJohnHorn
05-08-2014, 08:32 AM

Lee can hit a 15-20 footer, no? So he'd be great for the pick-and-pop. Nash ran that with Amare a lot. And I think either Lee or Bogut could cut to the basket sufficiently, though obviously not as well as say Howard or Amare used to.

I think the fact they can pass would help too.

I think the dream candidate for this roster is Pop. But that is not going to happen.

JasonJohnHorn
05-08-2014, 08:33 AM
That team would sure be fun but I'd go with no. He already has had the ideal team in Phoenix and they never did anything.

We all know that had Amare not been suspended for that Horry/Nash play, the Suns would have won it all that year.

KnickFanSince91
05-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Mike D'Antoni is the best fit for the Oregon State job. There's no reason for another NBA team to waste time on him again.

D-Leethal
05-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Lee can hit a 15-20 footer, no? So he'd be great for the pick-and-pop. Nash ran that with Amare a lot. And I think either Lee or Bogut could cut to the basket sufficiently, though obviously not as well as say Howard or Amare used to.

I think the dream candidate for this roster is Pop. But that is not going to happen.

Lee was a 20-12 all star under Mike D and Mike D wanted to keep him in 2010 instead of going FA chasing for 2 max.

I hope he gets this job and has a chance to shut the haters up with a roster that is tailor made for his system. They would need to flip Bogut, maybe make a move for Tyson Chandler, but GSW would be a top 3 seed under Mike D.

D-Leethal
05-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Mike D'Antoni is the best fit for the Oregon State job. There's no reason for another NBA team to waste time on him again.

Do you honestly think theres a coach in this league that would have won with those Knicks rosters or these broken down, hobbled D-League Laker teams he has been coaching these past two years?

KnickFanSince91
05-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Do you honestly think theres a coach in this league that would have won with those Knicks rosters or these broken down, hobbled D-League Laker teams he has been coaching these past two years?

Woodson took the same roster and looked like Red Auerbach for 40 games compared to Mike D. :laugh:

This guy has a million apologists even though he has a really bad record before the Nash-led Suns run and has a really bad record since. It's always the same excuse about the pg and certain guys for his "system" as if any other coach wouldn't look fantastic with an MVP running the point with 3 All-Stars and the 6MOY.

kingsdelez24
05-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Bogut is the kind of Center that could fit with MDA. I actually think the Warriors should jump on this immediately. They have the defensive players to cover for for whatever shortcomings his system has on the defensive end. It would make for an interesting move

Chronz
05-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Lee can hit a 15-20 footer, no?
Well he used to, dude has that rep but his midrange game has been in free fall for awhile now, he still takes plenty from out there but hes not really good at it. Was about 4 years ago, he was one of the best from out there. So the potential is there, hes a classic D'Antoni guy but him+Bogut sound awkward in his system if either of them fail to regain their touch. Sounds like Pau-Dwight all over again, only with inferior athletes.

So he'd be great for the pick-and-pop. Nash ran that with Amare a lot. And I think either Lee or Bogut could cut to the basket sufficiently, though obviously not as well as say Howard or Amare used to.

Not trying to say it wouldn't work, just that if they're running with Mike-D, you may as well let him make some trades. This is a team that has been at its best when its played small ball, so I can see why Mike would be a natural candidate, but there are some awkward fits here. In the past 2 playoffs, they've been able to thrive offensively with either Lee or Bogut at the 5. One of them should honestly come off the bench. My choice would be Lee.

When Amare was doing all that, it was with Marion as his primary 4-man, when Lee had his breakout season under D'Antoni, it was when he got to play Center as well. Thats not to say it wouldn't work with guys playing at their traditional spots, but I feel like they should go a different route....

... they have 4 brilliant passers in the starting lineup and 3 accurate long range shooters to go with a mobile bigman. I feel like a motion based offense would be of more benefit than Mikes spread SSOL, tho I have to admit, everyone copies abit from everyone now adays so whatever difference we bring up, I have no doubt it will be an offensive improvement on what Mark Jackson was allowing them to run. Simply because I feel like he went out of his way not to experiment. He had to have his own players tell him to take them out of the starting lineup.

blastmasta26
05-08-2014, 11:51 AM
The perimeter players fit perfectly, but the bigs not so much. As Chronz pointed out, Lee and Amare played well under D'Antoni as centers, not power forwards. And those guys are huge defensive liabilities at the 5. Draymond Green is a perfect 4 though. Lee would either have to get traded or come off the bench since Bogut would be preferable at center.

D'Antoni brand small ball obviously worked well in Phoenix when he actually had a talented PG, and GS would provide him that as well. But his defensive deficiencies are well documented, so hiring a defensive assistant like NY did with Mike Woodson is advisable. I think D'Antoni gets a little more criticism than he deserves, but I wouldn't take the risk in GS.

thephoenixson28
05-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Yeah Alvin Gentry would be a way better fit.

Kushed
05-08-2014, 12:23 PM
If they fired Jackson and then hired D'Antoni I would proceed to laugh at the Warriors decision making for the rest of my entire life hahahahahahahahaha that's ****ing embarrassing.

Lakers2000
05-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Haaahaaahaaaahaaaa! I just spit coffee on my keyboard.

king4day
05-08-2014, 12:42 PM

He didn't get to the finals but he did get to the WCF twice. That's more than many coaches could ever say.
Don't think he should coach an NBA team again though. Better suited for college or an NBA assistant.

Tony_Starks
05-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Not a fan of DAntoni either but I hope he gets the GSW job because its a perfect fit. This is finally the first team since Phoenix that's tailor made for him.

He will take Steph and Clay and run people out of the gym, putting up 120+ points a night.

Super.
05-08-2014, 12:45 PM

Lee I feel like would thrive, Bogut not so much

Tony_Starks
05-08-2014, 12:49 PM
I don't want D'Antoni anywhere near this team.

If he coaches your squad Steph could very well get MVP. Seriously.

majmarcus
05-09-2014, 01:03 AM
NO!!! Dantoni sux and should not be coaching beyond high school basketball. For the love of God if Dantoni had the Dream Team, they'll be battling for that 8th spot

TheNumber37
05-09-2014, 01:18 AM
They got away from Don Nelson to Mark Jackson because they wanted to be good defensively.
Iggy would be in D'antoni's Doghouse and Lee, Klay and Curry would be averaging careers highs in point and minutes. Barnes could be a 6th man of the year candidate.

The warriors would win 46 games and lose in the first round of the playoffs to the Thunder or Spurs.

Hawkeye15
05-09-2014, 01:26 AM

exactly

Iron24th
05-09-2014, 03:52 AM
They got away from Don Nelson to Mark Jackson because they wanted to be good defensively.
Iggy would be in D'antoni's Doghouse and Lee, Klay and Curry would be averaging careers highs in point and minutes. Barnes could be a 6th man of the year candidate.

The warriors would win 46 games and lose in the first round of the playoffs to the Thunder or Spurs.

Not really different than this year.

dantoni isn't the ideal guy for no team.

Rush
05-09-2014, 03:57 AM
i sure as hell hope he goes there and completes the crash-and-burn of that sorry-as franchise just as he's done elsewhere.

What did the Warriors ever do to you! :pity:

jerellh528
05-09-2014, 04:43 AM
I think gs would be good for him, get h back on track

kingsdelez24
05-09-2014, 05:12 AM
Yeah Alvin Gentry would be a way better fit.

This