PDA

View Full Version : Is Andrew Bynum's career over?

GiantsSwaGG
05-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Andrew Bynum no longer with Indiana Pacers

Candace Buckner, USA TODAY Sports
35 minutes ago
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
more

Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
Indiana Pacers center Andrew Bynum is no longer with the team.
Andrew Bynum will miss the remainder of the season and no longer be with the Indiana Pacers, the team announced Wednesday morning before Game 2 of the Eastern Conference semifinals matchup against the Washington Wizards.

Bynum, who was signed on Feb. 1, only played in two games with Indiana and averaged 11.5 points and 9.5 rebounds. On March 21, Bynum went on the inactive list due to knee soreness and the team ruled him out indefinitely. Now, the Bynum era as brief as it was has ended. The Pacers reportedly Bynum signed for $1 million.
HIBBERT: 'I need to figure it out'
"We want to thank Andrew and our medical staff for trying to get the issues with his knee resolved," said Larry Bird, the Pacers President of Basketball Operations. "We wish him the best in the future."
After the Pacers' Game 4 first-round playoff win in Atlanta, The Star asked Bynum if he was soon to return and he responded, "I don't know." Though Bynum has attended practices and sat on the end of the bench during games, since at least Game 7 against Atlanta, Bynum has not been with the team.
The Pacers, who did not administer a physical to Bynum until after he signed the contract, had initially entered this relationship with high hopes. Though at times, players and coaches tempered their excitement due to Bynum's long history of health issues.
"This is what we signed up for," Vogel said during the days leading up to Bynum going on the inactive list indefinitely. "We knew he was a great player with some problem-area knees, (who was) going to be in some times and out some times. We're fully aware of that and we'll be excited whenever we have him in uniform."
MORE: Durant's moving speech grounded in OKC
Since the start of the 2012 season, Bynum has only played in 26 games. Last summer, Bynum signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers but was dismissed from the team for disciplinary reasons in December. According to Bynum, he was kicked out of practice when he launched a shot from midcourt, clearly out of the rhythm of the offensive play. Another day during a scrimmage, he did not like a call from assistant coach Phil Handy and mocked him as "a horrible referee."
"Those are the two things I did," Bynum told The Star in February. "I did them on purpose because it was over there for me."
On Wednesday, Bynum's agent, David Lee, did not return a phone message left by The Star. Before the team released a statement about Bynum, his older brother, Corey Thomas, said that he did not have "insight" into why Bynum was no longer around the team.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2014/05/07/nba-andrew-bynum-no-longer-pacers/8805407/

It's safe to say his career is over!

MonroeFAN
05-07-2014, 02:54 PM
I thought this said Bogut at first.

Yes to both questions.

kobe4thewinbang
05-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Yeah, this was probably his last chance.

ManRam
05-07-2014, 03:03 PM
His career is only over if he wants it to be. Worst comes to worst, he takes a year off to get healthy and signs with someone in 2015-16. He's a clown. He's immature. He may or may not care about basketball. But I'm sure there's a team out there down the road that will roll the dice. He'll be 27 next season and he's still a big body with enough skill.

Indy made a VERY hasty move in signing him. That was a bad move all around. But still, if he wants it (and can pass a physical) he'll play in this league again. For sure. I'm sure there exists a team that's willing to roll the dice (probably with less at stake than Indy had) and offer him a non-guaranteed or partially-guaranteed contract and see if they can figure it out together.

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 03:08 PM
His career is over.

On the plus side, the good aura may be back with the Pacers finally!

Iron24th
05-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Except if he meets suns medical staff ala grant hill, yes his career is pretty over.

PacersForLife
05-07-2014, 03:27 PM
His career is only over if he wants it to be. Worst comes to worst, he takes a year off to get healthy and signs with someone in 2015-16. He's a clown. He's immature. He may or may not care about basketball. But I'm sure there's a team out there down the road that will roll the dice. He'll be 27 next season and he's still a big body with enough skill.

Indy made a VERY hasty move in signing him. That was a bad move all around. But still, if he wants it (and can pass a physical) he'll play in this league again. For sure. I'm sure there exists a team that's willing to roll the dice (probably with less at stake than Indy had) and offer him a non-guaranteed or partially-guaranteed contract and see if they can figure it out together.

I don't see how it was a bad move at all. He looked very good in his two games he played and was never a problem. The front office knew it was a risky move to begin with.

sjbirds
05-07-2014, 03:30 PM

I don't see how it was a bad move at all. He looked very good in his two games he played and was never a problem. The front office knew it was a risky move to begin with.
Getting a haircut in locker room during game isn't a distraction?

kidfury
05-07-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm sure Evan Turner was extremely happy to get to team up with his old mate from Philly... oh wait bynum NEVER played a game with him in Philly. I think his nba career is done, maybe get one more basketball pay check in europe/asia before everyone see's his physical/mental toughness are poor

PacersForLife
05-07-2014, 04:03 PM

That was the only thing we heard about and I sure hope a haircut isn't the thing that caused this team's downfall.

archdevil84
05-07-2014, 04:18 PM
his career was over as soon as he left los angeles

king4day
05-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Here's how I see this playing out.

We don't hear from him for a couple of years.
He runs out of money.
The Bynum comeback begins.
Some team offers vet min, he gets insulted and declines it. Goes overseas to China where he plays a couple of months before being released for conduct detrimental to the team.

GiantsSwaGG
05-07-2014, 05:53 PM

He runs out of money.
Some team offers vet min, he gets insulted and declines it. Goes overseas to China where he plays a couple of months before being released for conduct detrimental to the team.

I can actually see that happening

numba1CHANGsta
05-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Bynum, Oden, Hibbert all fails

Teeboy1487
05-07-2014, 05:56 PM
He has arthritic knees and a bad attitude. He's done.

GiantsSwaGG
05-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Bynum, Oden, Hibbert all fails

Giving up on Hibbert that fast?

LAKobeBryant
05-07-2014, 06:26 PM
1mill for two games?

Slug3
05-07-2014, 06:57 PM
He doesn't even want to play. He has said that himself that he's only playing for money. With an answer like that why would anyone give him another chance after all these screw ups.

JEDean89
05-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Dude has one of the worst work ethics/personalities in the entire league, it will be good for the league that he is gone.

JEDean89
05-07-2014, 07:14 PM

The Hibbert hate, while understandable, isn't entirely justified. he is healthy, he had a pretty good year and honestly just needs to focus on protecting the rim and boxing out. His potential was never that of an Oden or Bynum had they stayed healthy but he is extremely useful. IMO the Pacers need either a number 1 scoring option or a #1B, 20+ ppg dude. George just can't be the only one going all out on both ends.

NBA_Starter
05-07-2014, 07:19 PM
He is pretty much done!

beasted86
05-07-2014, 07:23 PM

He runs out of money.

Clairvoyance at its finest. This is definitely happening.

numba1CHANGsta
05-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Yup he's the next Andrew Bynum

MickeyMgl
05-07-2014, 07:44 PM
I thought this said Bogut at first.

Yes to both questions.

Bogut's not done.

MickeyMgl
05-07-2014, 07:48 PM

It was a low-risk move. Worse move was the Lakers trading him when he had value and winding up with nothing to show for it a year later - minus draft picks as well.

GiantsSwaGG
05-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Bogut's not done.

Bogut isn't done but it's pretty much a bet he will be hurt every season!

GiantsSwaGG
05-07-2014, 09:17 PM
The Hibbert hate, while understandable, isn't entirely justified. he is healthy, he had a pretty good year and honestly just needs to focus on protecting the rim and boxing out. His potential was never that of an Oden or Bynum had they stayed healthy but he is extremely useful. IMO the Pacers need either a number 1 scoring option or a #1B, 20+ ppg dude. George just can't be the only one going all out on both ends.

He's needs to be a better rebounder, be more aggressive offensively

bringbackfredex
05-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Lol @ all of PSD (besides me) who said that he was a great signing and would put the Pacers over the top.

sjbirds
05-07-2014, 09:46 PM

That was the only thing we heard about and I sure hope a haircut isn't the thing that caused this team's downfall.
Yeah I'm sure that's the only thing..and seriously tho that's kind of a distraction.trying to win a game and have a dude in the locker room not giving a ****

Hellcrooner
05-07-2014, 11:11 PM
3 and a half years too late.

thanks for destroying the lakers drew....
:puke:

Cal827
05-07-2014, 11:14 PM
Lol, I think some team will try and follow the Cleveland route if they don't grab anyone else. Sign him to an incentive laden contract which they can terminate midway through the season. Then trade him away for a good player on a team looking to cut cap space or tank for a pick.

Soon leading to an "Andrew Bynum" Rule, after the Heat sign him to such a contract, then end up trading the contract away and a first to the Rebuilding Celtics for Rondo... making it an incredibly unfair big 4 lol

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 11:25 PM

Lakers got rid of him in the Nick of time. Trading damaged goods for damaged goods 2 yrs ago.

soundjunkies2
05-07-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm sure someone will give him a deal.

Chrisclover
05-07-2014, 11:47 PM
Never say never. He will be back when he runs out of money, whatever role he takes

bathroom_man
05-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Was never the same player after pau gasol took over LA

Iron24th
05-08-2014, 01:31 AM

lol how did he destroy them???

Have you ever heard of jim buss?

xxcubs22xx
05-08-2014, 04:59 AM
If he can rehab those knees and if the Bulls are eligible I'd like to see us give him a workout in the future. I would take a healthy Bynum over Lou Amundson/Nazr/Boozer any day lol

DitchDat
05-08-2014, 06:34 AM
His knees have given out. He's done. I don't think he really cares, though, it never seemed like he enjoyed playing basketball all that much. A shame really, because he had all the tools.

ManningToTyree
05-08-2014, 06:39 AM
Given that he has no desire to play basketball it's possible. I'd still bet in him looking to steal some more money From someone. Not too sure who would give this guy a chance at this point.

chipurmunki
05-08-2014, 06:47 AM
geeze louise i sure hope so. irritating bonehead. doesn't really matter, though, the media will still find some knucklehead reason to keep 'reporting' on him.

GiantsSwaGG
05-08-2014, 08:36 AM
It's sad so much talent and he was more passionate about bowling!

MrfadeawayJB
05-08-2014, 09:54 AM
I'd say so. At this point his attitude and laziness outweighs his talent. Teams won't want to pay him, he's a risk

MickeyMgl
05-08-2014, 08:37 PM

3 and a half years ago, he was a trade asset. What's sad is the Lakers giving him up (and picks) for somebody who didn't want to play for them. Notice all those other teams at the time passing on making a bid because it was too risky to give up so much for one season of play? Yeah, the Lakers were counting on a magic touch they no longer have.

But after Andrew's traded, I couldn't care less how soon he flushes his career down the toilet. Then again, I suppose if he had run himself out of the league while with the Lakers, then they wouldn't have given up all those picks in the Howard trade. *shrug*

bleedprple&gold
05-08-2014, 09:24 PM
So if the Pacers win it all does Bynum get a ring?

NBA_Starter
05-08-2014, 09:48 PM
I feel so bad for this guy.

DaLakerz Rulz
05-08-2014, 10:11 PM

He runs out of money.

He just doesn't strike me as the kind of person who will burn through all his money. He does act like a clown, but from what has been written about him before he is a pretty smart guy.

jerellh528
05-09-2014, 04:52 AM
He's dunzo. I dunno if another team should give him another shot, I wouldn't