PDA

View Full Version : Why is Steve Kerr considered the the best NBA coaching candidate?

COOLbeans
05-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Per reports, Kerr is being offered the head coaching vacancies in New York, LA, and Golden State even though he has no coaching pedigree.

What gives? Why is Steve Kerr being considered for these positions when there are other more accomplished coaches still waiting on the sidelines?

king4day
05-07-2014, 12:23 PM
That's a good question. I liked him as Suns GM. I guess teams believe he's got a very good basketball mind.
Seems like 'no coaching experience' is the way to go these days.

FYL_McVeezy
05-07-2014, 12:28 PM
I understand why he would work here in NY, but I don't understand GS' love affair for him....

D-Leethal
05-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Because the idea that "accomplished" coaches will waltz in to a new scenario and continue to "accomplish" is stupid and outdated. You see coaches thrive in one situation and look clueless in others, there are no coaches who are "one size fits all" so your prior accomplishments mean next to nothing with regards to your next job. Either way - open your eyes - rookie coaches are all over the place and every single one of them is killing it out there.

therealwd27
05-07-2014, 12:58 PM
I understand why he would work here in NY, but I don't understand GS' love affair for him....

He worked with them in PHX and lives in The Bay Area

Tony_Starks
05-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Kerr is well spoken, very respected, a clean cut safe guy to hire. His contemporaries think highly of him.

It doesn't hurt that he has the white, I mean right skin color by the way.....

JasonJohnHorn
05-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Because the idea that "accomplished" coaches will waltz in to a new scenario and continue to "accomplish" is stupid and outdated. You see coaches thrive in one situation and look clueless in others, there are no coaches who are "one size fits all" so your prior accomplishments mean next to nothing with regards to your next job. Either way - open your eyes - rookie coaches are all over the place and every single one of them is killing it out there.

Prior accomplishments DO mean something. They speak to a pattern of behaviour and success and an ability to incorporate certain kinds of players and styles and get wins with them. Saying they mean nothing is flawed.

What is even more flawed is that a rookie coach with NO experience or proven success is just as good a candidate as somebody who has proven they can win.

A rookie coach is fine for a team that is rebuilding. Sometimes they do great (Doc Rivers in Orlando and Kidd really turned it around once Januaray hit), but a hiring a rookie coach is like rolling the dice. There is no reason to believe that a rookie coach with no experience is a better option for a team ready to win than an experienced coach.

I will agree that just because a coach is successful in one situation, like 'Antoni was in Phoenix, doesn't mean he will be successful in all situations, but coaches like Lenny Wilkins, Pat Riley, Larry Brown and Phil Jackson who have all won with varied rosters have proven through past experience that they can win. Obviously none of those coaches are available, but a guy like George Karl is, and he'd be a better pick at this point than Kerr.

Saying that an accomplished coach's previous success isn't an indicator of future success is like saying just because LeBron James played at an MVP level in Cleveland and Miami doesn't mean he's play MVP ball for the 76ers next year and that Wigggins is the better option in terms of adding a player to their roster.

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Simple truest answer: because he's white.

Sam Mitchell, Avery Johnson, Lionel Hollins, Mark Jackson, Mike Woodson, Ty Cornin. All solid coaches or former coaches of the year or they overachieved, can't even sniff an NbA Coaching job.

But a guy like Steve Kerr, zero coaching experience on any level, has the choice of Warriors, Knicks, Jazz and to a certain extent the Lakers.

shinjirod
05-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Yeah, Kevin Ollie is in high demand because he's white too. Oh, wait...

therealwd27
05-07-2014, 01:46 PM

Sam Mitchell, Avery Johnson, Lionel Hollins, Mark Jackson, Mike Woodson, Ty Cornin. All solid coaches or former coaches of the year or they overachieved, can't even sniff an NbA Coaching job.
to a certain extent the Lakers.

Tough bridge to cross, but your def on to something as crazy as some might think, maybe a Rooney rule should be required in the NBA too

therealwd27
05-07-2014, 01:47 PM

High demand? How many teams has contacted him for an interview? Lakers have interest according to reports but who else?

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 01:50 PM

His stock his high, and only 1 team at this point has been 'interested' in him (and they haven't even reached out to him yet), and that's the Lakers.

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 01:50 PM
High demand? How many teams has contacted him for an interview? Lakers have interest according to reports but who else?

Thank you good sir.

shinjirod
05-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Tough bridge to cross, but your def on to something as crazy as some might think, maybe a Rooney rule should be required in the NBA too

Yeah, but right now there are more black coaches in the NBA than in the NFL. The NFL gets a lot of publicity because of the Rooney Rule, but the NBA has made strides in this area as well. I think the race issue is just very fresh thanks to Sterling, but don't really think the NBA head coaching caroussel has much to do with it.

I don't get the Kerr love either, but I think its got a lot more to do with his triangle past than race.

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Yeah, but right now there are more black coaches in the NBA than in the NFL. The NFL gets a lot of publicity because of the Rooney Rule, but the NBA has made strides in this area as well. I think the race issue is just very fresh thanks to Sterling, but don't really think the NBA head coaching caroussel has much to do with it.

I don't get the Kerr love either, but I think its got a lot more to do with his triangle past than race.

The Phil thing is understandable. But not the Warriors think, or the Jazz thing, or even the Lakers thing (since Jimbo wanted to get rid of everything Phil Jackson or triangle related)

Not sure where you're going with this. Unless you're suggesting that warriors FO feels Steph Curry is best suited playing the triangle.

D-Leethal
05-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Prior accomplishments DO mean something. They speak to a pattern of behaviour and success and an ability to incorporate certain kinds of players and styles and get wins with them. Saying they mean nothing is flawed.

What is even more flawed is that a rookie coach with NO experience or proven success is just as good a candidate as somebody who has proven they can win.

A rookie coach is fine for a team that is rebuilding. Sometimes they do great (Doc Rivers in Orlando and Kidd really turned it around once Januaray hit), but a hiring a rookie coach is like rolling the dice. There is no reason to believe that a rookie coach with no experience is a better option for a team ready to win than an experienced coach.

I will agree that just because a coach is successful in one situation, like 'Antoni was in Phoenix, doesn't mean he will be successful in all situations, but coaches like Lenny Wilkins, Pat Riley, Larry Brown and Phil Jackson who have all won with varied rosters have proven through past experience that they can win. Obviously none of those coaches are available, but a guy like George Karl is, and he'd be a better pick at this point than Kerr.

Saying that an accomplished coach's previous success isn't an indicator of future success is like saying just because LeBron James played at an MVP level in Cleveland and Miami doesn't mean he's play MVP ball for the 76ers next year and that Wigggins is the better option in terms of adding a player to their roster.

Coaches are all about being the right fit with your roster and FO. Personality wise, XO wise, philosophically. You just named two guys who happened to win championships with one roster and flopped face first with my Knicks.

What makes George Karl a better pick than Kerr? What if he clashes with the FO like Mark Jackson did and disrupts chemistry of the organization? Coaches are not "one sized fits all". The coach with the most accolades is NOT always the best choice, which is what I was getting at in a nutshell. Rookie coaches CAN be a better choice than a HOF coach based on the parts around them. You gonna tell me you don't think Jeff Hornacek could have done a better job with Minnesota than Rick Adelman?

shinjirod
05-07-2014, 02:09 PM
No, I don't. I think its got to do more with character and success, and teams just going for the guy who's on demand instead of doing a proper search. Many teams hire on reputation alone, not looking for a good fit, sadly. Look at the Knicks. They went out and got Phil to run the office, and they're already having some issues. Look at Kidd in Brooklyn. He got the job because he led them to straight Finals appearences. Hornacek's Suns past certainly helped. The Lakers got D'Antoni because he was the biggest name available. Mike Brown might have been re-hired in Cleveland because Lebron liked him and it might've helped lure him back.

Lots of coaches get hired for reasons that really haven't got much to do with what happens on the court. I just don't think race is an issue right now.

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 02:15 PM
Now I like what Randy Whittman has done with the Wiz this yr, but what had he done prior to Washinton?

Didn't he get fired in Minny. Seems to me it's the same white coaches that are getting jobs when there are better candidates out there. Whitman, Scott Skiles, McHale, Adelman. Get fired one season, get hired by another team that summer or the following summer.

George Karl should easily get a coaching gig this summer.

Big Zo
05-07-2014, 02:17 PM
I just hope someone hires him quick so I don't have to listen to him as an analyst anymore.

Max.This
05-07-2014, 02:18 PM
No, I don't. I think its got to do more with character and success, and teams just going for the guy who's on demand instead of doing a proper search. Many teams hire on reputation alone, not looking for a good fit, sadly. Look at the Knicks. They went out and got Phil to run the office, and they're already having some issues. Look at Kidd in Brooklyn. He got the job because he led them to straight Finals appearences. Hornacek's Suns past certainly helped. The Lakers got D'Antoni because he was the biggest name available. Mike Brown might have been re-hired in Cleveland because Lebron liked him and it might've helped lure him back.

Lots of coaches get hired for reasons that really haven't got much to do with what happens on the court. I just don't think race is an issue right now.

Other than the media hyping things up, I dont see any issues with PHil so far since he's been in office and race is definitely not the issue. Phil is bringing in cartwright and interviewing jerry stackhouse. People need to stop bringing this Dr.Phil crap into basketball discussions.

Red_Pill
05-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Steve Kerr knows what he's doing. Plain and simple. He's a good analyst. Understands the game well, and not to mention, he played for two of the best coaches ever in Phil and Pop. He's probably picked up quite a lot. He's going to be a good coach.

PhillyFaninLA
05-07-2014, 02:24 PM
I don't think he's considered the best, I don't here that often....all I hear is that Phil Jackson wants him for the Knicks

east fb knicks
05-07-2014, 02:29 PM
it has nothing to do with color well maybe in th gsw job but teams want him because of pj it's the phil Jackson effect if the goat of all coaches thinks he's a good coach then other teams must be thinking the same

kingsdelez24
05-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Because Steve Kerr was able to crack the rotations of Lenny Wilkens, Phil Jackson, and Gregg Popovich despite being an unathletic 6'2 white shooting guard. He has a good mind for basketball and made a 14 year career out of it. I see no reason why he wouldn't be a hot commodity as a coach.

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 03:22 PM
Because Steve Kerr was able to crack the rotations of Lenny Wilkens, Phil Jackson, and Gregg Popovich despite being an unathletic 6'2 white shooting guard. He has a good mind for basketball and made a 14 year career out of it. I see no reason why he wouldn't be a hot commodity as a coach.

Lol no

shauneazy
05-07-2014, 04:16 PM

But a guy like Steve Kerr, zero coaching experience on any level, has the choice of Warriors, Knicks, Jazz and to a certain extent the Lakers.

So dumb. It has nothing to do with his skin color. Maybe he's just a personable guy that has a high basketball IQ and organizations believe he has what it takes.

abe_froman
05-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Per reports, Kerr is being offered the head coaching vacancies in New York, LA, and Golden State even though he has no coaching pedigree.

What gives? Why is Steve Kerr being considered for these positions when there are other more accomplished coaches still waiting on the sidelines?

because he's a good interview, maybe? they like his analysis on tv? i have no idea,but its not bad to have some new blood instead of guys like antoni and brown keep getting hired because they won coy before

COOLbeans
05-07-2014, 04:43 PM
So dumb. It has nothing to do with his skin color. Maybe he's just a personable guy that has a high basketball IQ and organizations believe he has what it takes.

Do you know of any white coaches not considered an Xs and Os guy?

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 04:50 PM

I understand Phil going after him because of the triangle.

No one else in the NBA really has any true justification to hire Steve Kerr. It's not like he was a Jason Kidd who in his last few yrs in the league was literally the extension of his head coach while playing out on the floor. Kidd was a career floor general and leader. Kerr was a triangle guy and shooter for Phil and just a shooter for Pop.

On what damn basis does Steve Kerr get the head coaching gig somewhere based on anything outside the elements I just mentioned ?

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 04:56 PM
because he's a good interview, maybe? they like his analysis on tv? i have no idea,but its not bad to have some new blood instead of guys like antoni and brown keep getting hired because they won coy before

I can imagine his interview.

Kerr: I've never coached a day in my life. But I was the gm that traded Marion for Snaq. Oh but then we got to the WCF 2 yrs later, so that was good. But the wheels quickly came off of that. And then I went back to analyst.

Oh, and the fact that iz gotz 5 ringzzzz !!!

LongIslandIcedZ
05-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Maybe because Phil Jackson is a very respected basketball mind, and he's been publicly endorsing Kerr as a coach for like a month.

I would hope race has nothing to do with it.

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Maybe because Phil Jackson is a very respected basketball mind, and he's been publicly endorsing Kerr as a coach for like a month.

I would hope race has nothing to do with it.

Maybe.

blastmasta26
05-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Do you know of any white coaches not considered an Xs and Os guy?

Kevin McHale.

COOLbeans
05-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Kevin McHale.

I've never heard him lambasted as that,

and btw his overall record is far worse than Jackson's.

Crackadalic
05-07-2014, 05:31 PM
I understand Phil going after him because of the triangle.

No one else in the NBA really has any true justification to hire Steve Kerr. It's not like he was a Jason Kidd who in his last few yrs in the league was literally the extension of his head coach while playing out on the floor. Kidd was a career floor general and leader. Kerr was a triangle guy and shooter for Phil and just a shooter for Pop.

On what damn basis does Steve Kerr get the head coaching gig somewhere based on anything outside the elements I just mentioned ?

Idk about any place but the knicks make more sense then gs even with a superior roster

Kerr already achieve success as a nba player. Played under two of the greatest coaches in nba history. Has experience as a general manager so he knows what works together. Years as a analyst so he gets even more in depth on what he sees on the court

Phil is literally walking him through as a triangle coach. If a 11 time coaching champ is giving me hands on training on running a team I'm taking that 10 times out of 10. Why risk being thrown in the fire and is expected to win in gs with no one holding his hand

All this media hype is just that. Hype