PDA

View Full Version : Spurs GM R.C. Buford wins Exec of the Year!

mjt20mik
05-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m
Finally. Spurs GM R.C. Buford voted NBA Executive of the Year.

Well Deserved!

kdspurman
05-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Did not see that coming... Finally!

mjt20mik
05-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Did not see that coming... Finally!

I mean you could argue about this year. But it makes up for all the years he didn't win it.

kdspurman
05-07-2014, 10:37 AM
I mean you could argue about this year. But it makes up for all the years he didn't win it.

Yea that's sort of my thinking as well. The ability to keep a team this stable for this long though is often overlooked and probably under-appreciated. Especially while not making any big time FA signings or trades. It's tough for him to win it when these other teams are in the spotlight making some of the moves that are made.

torocan
05-07-2014, 10:42 AM

This. Long overdue.

It's awful hard to get recognized when you're doing a great job year after year. I'm thinking of this as more of a lifetime achievement award than whether he did the absolute best moves in the NBA this year.

FriedTofuz
05-07-2014, 10:45 AM
what transactions has he actually done this year? I'd say he's the best GM in the NBA for the past 10 years considering how competitive the spurs have been

KnicksorBust
05-07-2014, 11:13 AM
That Marco Belinelli move really paid off.

mightybosstone
05-07-2014, 11:26 AM
This award makes no ****ing sense. Morey and Ujiri clearly did more work for their teams this season, and they give it to a guy who did absolutely ****ing nothing in the offseason or at the trade deadline. If you want to reward a guy for something he did 5-10 years ago, do it another way. Don't give him an annual award he clearly didn't deserve the year he won it.

arlubas
05-07-2014, 11:42 AM
This award makes no ****ing sense. Morey and Ujiri clearly did more work for their teams this season, and they give it to a guy who did absolutely ****ing nothing in the offseason or at the trade deadline. If you want to reward a guy for something he did 5-10 years ago, do it another way. Don't give him an annual award he clearly didn't deserve the year he won it.
What happened most probably was that there weren't any big favorites in that field this season so they decided to give it to a guy who has been doing it year in and year out and hasn't won it as much as he should.

kdspurman
05-07-2014, 11:55 AM

Marco Belinelli isn't absolutely nothing. Just cause he didn't go out and sign a big player or trade for a big time player doesn't mean he did nothing. I'm pretty sure there's more to this award than just trying to bring in marquis players. Especially seeing as when doing that, it doesn't always translate to winning.

dalton749
05-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Masai ujiri should have won again no contest
The bargnani trade was great with the value he got back, the Rudy trade that turned a 6-12 team into a 42-22 team, and from out of the playoffs to 3rd seed

king4day
05-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Blazers GM acquires Robin Lopez & Mo Williams who fills absolute needs for them and turns them from playoff 'maybes' to real contenders.

Raptors GM trades Bargnani for 'something' and deals Gay away which allows the team to better mesh (something he knew could happen)

Rockets GM acquires ummm Dwight Howard!! Turns them from contenders to elite (despite how the season ended) and they get HCA in round 1.

Suns GM deals away veterans for young players and picks and it pays off, drastically improving the team into a playoff contender.

Spurs GM acquires Belinelli and I don't know what else. Pops I was OK with getting CoY. This award however, is a joke. It seems like he's getting rewarded for the teams 'best record' success as opposed to other things that makes a team improve.

Anyone who said they saw this coming is a liar.

kdspurman
05-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Also, I don't think RC gets enough credit for training a lot of FO guys in the league who have turned out to be successful GMs after a stint with the Spurs. They may add their own wrinkles to the Spurs system of management, but they're usually pretty successful.

Edit: Also, not letting Splitter get lured away by more $ is proving to be valuable and again overlooked by those who think he did "nothing"

ghettosean
05-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Masai ujiri should have won again no contest
The bargnani trade was great with the value he got back, the Rudy trade that turned a 6-12 team into a 42-22 team, and from out of the playoffs to 3rd seed

The Spurs are the most underrated team ever from players to management but I agree with the above post there is no way that Buford should have won it over Masai Ujiri. He just accomplished waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more in such a short time.

SPURSFAN1
05-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Lot of salty fans in here.

mdm692
05-07-2014, 01:05 PM
McDonough from the Suns should get it. He turned the entire franchise around from looking like it was going into the dark ages to one of the brightest futures in the west In less than 1 year.
-Hired Hornacek
-Drafted Goodwin and Len
-Traded Dudley for Butler and Bledsoe
-Traded Butler for Ish Smith(huuge role off the bench) and Slav Kravstov
-Traded Scola for Green, Plumlee and a 1st
-Traded Gortat for the Was 1st and the insured contract of Emeka Okafor

Spurs just signed Belinelli and thats it lol.

kdspurman
05-07-2014, 01:17 PM
McDonough from the Suns should get it. He turned the entire franchise around from looking like it was going into the dark ages to one of the brightest futures in the west In less than 1 year.
-Hired Hornacek
-Drafted Goodwin and Len
-Traded Dudley for Butler and Bledsoe
-Traded Butler for Ish Smith(huuge role off the bench) and Slav Kravstov
-Traded Scola for Green, Plumlee and a 1st
-Traded Gortat for the Was 1st and the insured contract of Emeka Okafor

Spurs just signed Belinelli and thats it lol.

And that's the common belief, which is just wrong. Like I mentioned resigning Splitter who could have gotten more from someone else, getting Manu back for cheaper despite how he looked in the finals. I'm not saying McDonough isn't deserving, but let's not disregard what Buford has done. Stability is something that can be overlooked because of all the big names out there, but this franchise has been stable for a long time and he's a big reason why.

Of course, executives around the league vote for this, not the media. Some of them are in the position they are because of what RC and Pop did for them. (see the Spurs family tree (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/6/5/4397482/gregg-popovich-rc-buford-spurs-coaching-tree-general-managers))

It's possible they felt it was long overdue for him as well, but I wouldn't downplay what he did. He has a real eye for talent and bringing in the right pieces that fit what the Spurs want to do. Not only on the court, but off it.

Clippersfan86
05-07-2014, 01:19 PM
He didn't deserve it THIS YEAR and it's not even close. He'd probably be 10th at best if you just look at this year. As others have said this is basically a lifetime achievement award, or a guilty award for him being passed up years ago. Suns, Raptors, Wizards GM's should be top 3. All three teams that went from bottom last year to playoff teams this year (in Suns case barely missed.. but McDonough was BRILLIANT putting together a random, but extremely good small name cast). Spurs did what exactly?

SPURSFAN1
05-07-2014, 01:22 PM
It goes beyond trading and drafting players. Buford also deals with the day to day operations of SA. It goes to managing the salaries of players. That he has done a great job throughout the years is just a bonus. People are very short sighted.

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Lot of salty fans in here.
It's nothin about being salty lol.

Ujri should have won this hands down for ridding of Gay and Bargnani and still making the playoffs despite everyone thinking they were going to tank.

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 01:27 PM
That being said.

If the Spurs don't win the title this yr with Pop getting COY and Buford getting exec of yr, and with the big 3 healthiest they've been in a long time in the postseason, this will be a CATASTROPHIC MELTDOWN for the San Antonio Spurs.

kdspurman
05-07-2014, 01:33 PM
That being said.

If the Spurs don't win the title this yr with Pop getting COY and Buford getting exec of yr, and with the big 3 healthiest they've been in a long time in the postseason, this will be a CATASTROPHIC MELTDOWN for the San Antonio Spurs.

:eyebrow:

kdspurman
05-07-2014, 01:35 PM
He didn't deserve it THIS YEAR and it's not even close. He'd probably be 10th at best if you just look at this year. As others have said this is basically a lifetime achievement award, or a guilty award for him being passed up years ago. Suns, Raptors, Wizards GM's should be top 3. All three teams that went from bottom last year to playoff teams this year (in Suns case barely missed.. but McDonough was BRILLIANT putting together a random, but extremely good small name cast). Spurs did what exactly?

Stop it lol....

And just cause you don't see all these headlines for what the Spurs did, doesn't mean they did nothing.

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 01:47 PM
:eyebrow:
They better win this yr. Enough with the teasing. The annual regular season these last 4-5 yrs bully needs to seal the deal in the finals and win the whole thing.

mdm692
05-07-2014, 01:52 PM
And that's the common belief, which is just wrong. Like I mentioned resigning Splitter who could have gotten more from someone else, getting Manu back for cheaper despite how he looked in the finals. I'm not saying McDonough isn't deserving, but let's not disregard what Buford has done. Stability is something that can be overlooked because of all the big names out there, but this franchise has been stable for a long time and he's a big reason why.

Of course, executives around the league vote for this, not the media. Some of them are in the position they are because of what RC and Pop did for them. (see the Spurs family tree (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/6/5/4397482/gregg-popovich-rc-buford-spurs-coaching-tree-general-managers))

It's possible they felt it was long overdue for him as well, but I wouldn't downplay what he did. He has a real eye for talent and bringing in the right pieces that fit what the Spurs want to do. Not only on the court, but off it.

There were other years where he was more deserving than this. I hate when NBA ****s up awards and decides to make up for them a year or 2 later. Kinda like a make up call. Not saying Buford isn't good because he is part of the greatets FO of our generation, maybe all time, but the nba has to be consistent with how they decide who wins the award.

mightybosstone
05-07-2014, 02:07 PM

You can try to justify it however you want. But can you honestly tell me you think he did the best job of any NBA GM over the last year and he was more deserving of this award based on his performance over that time? There's no way whatsoever you can justify this based solely on this season.

kdspurman
05-07-2014, 02:12 PM
There were other years where he was more deserving than this. I hate when NBA ****s up awards and decides to make up for them a year or 2 later. Kinda like a make up call. Not saying Buford isn't good because he is part of the greatets FO of our generation, maybe all time, but the nba has to be consistent with how they decide who wins the award.

I agree 100% on "make up calls", it seems to happen often. I was just implying that what he has done should not be overlooked or downplayed.

kdspurman
05-07-2014, 02:17 PM
You can try to justify it however you want. But can you honestly tell me you think he did the best job of any NBA GM over the last year and he was more deserving of this award based on his performance over that time? There's no way whatsoever you can justify this based solely on this season.

I don't know what the criteria is, the other NBA execs make that call. Is it how many people big named names are brought in/traded for? drafting well? Salary management? Scouting? Results based? Keeping a stable work environment/locker room?

I understand the argument for other guys of course. My point was, not to downplay what he has done this season.

kobe4thewinbang
05-07-2014, 02:22 PM
He's a solid GM, gave the Spurs some good possible sparks that didn't pan out (RJ). Looking forward, he has his work cut out for him once Parker, Duncan & Ginobili can't get it done anymore. They need some new blood. The teamwork system is great, but they need some guys that can 'take you home.' Two stars or so. A new big...

king4day
05-07-2014, 03:59 PM
It goes beyond trading and drafting players. Buford also deals with the day to day operations of SA. It goes to managing the salaries of players. That he has done a great job throughout the years is just a bonus. People are very short sighted.

This isn't a knock on him, but it's the players decision to take less to stay somewhere. If Manu wanted more, he could have gotten it. Same with Duncan. He's a max player anywhere else but loves the San Antonio. That's all well and good. I just wouldn't give a GM credit for signing a player for cheaper than they're worth.

king4day
05-07-2014, 04:03 PM
I don't know what the criteria is, the other NBA execs make that call. Is it how many people big named names are brought in/traded for? drafting well? Salary management? Scouting? Results based? Keeping a stable work environment/locker room?

I understand the argument for other guys of course. My point was, not to downplay what he has done this season.

This is what I'd like to hear more about. It'd be cool if there was a breakdown of how voting is distinguished by the other front offices.

SPURSFAN1
05-07-2014, 04:13 PM
This isn't a knock on him, but it's the players decision to take less to stay somewhere. If Manu wanted more, he could have gotten it. Same with Duncan. He's a max player anywhere else but loves the San Antonio. That's all well and good. I just wouldn't give a GM credit for signing a player for cheaper than they're worth.

Spurs organization so great players want to take less money to stay and play. That's spurs culture. He signed Tiago for 4 years at 36 mil and people said it was a bad contact. Bill Simmons called it one of the worst contracts in the NBA. He was the 2nd best player in the first round. He is playing LA as best as anyone can. Buford signed Manu for 2 years even though everyone hated that move. Manu was the best player in he first round. He signed marco for peanuts, and even though he played like chit in the first round, he blew out the blazers in the first game round 2. He signed all the pattys and greens of this world. He signed baynes. He works with one of the most modest team salaries in the nba. He surrounds the spurs big three with great role players. The spurs have cap flexibility for the next couple of years. Need I say more?

jerellh528
05-09-2014, 05:17 AM
Congrats. Well deserved

Shammyguy3
05-09-2014, 01:14 PM

Blazers GM acquires Robin Lopez & Mo Williams who fills absolute needs for them and turns them from playoff 'maybes' to real contenders.

Raptors GM trades Bargnani for 'something' and deals Gay away which allows the team to better mesh (something he knew could happen)

Rockets GM acquires ummm Dwight Howard!! Turns them from contenders to elite (despite how the season ended) and they get HCA in round 1.

Suns GM deals away veterans for young players and picks and it pays off, drastically improving the team into a playoff contender.

Spurs GM acquires Belinelli and I don't know what else. Pops I was OK with getting CoY. This award however, is a joke. It seems like he's getting rewarded for the teams 'best record' success as opposed to other things that makes a team improve.

Anyone who said they saw this coming is a liar.

These two posts. I ranted about this in the Bulls' forum, it's ****ing stupid how some of these awards (not saying this one in general, but all awards seem to do this at some point or another) award life-time achievement awards. Buford this year is a great example of that, and i hate it.

amak316
05-09-2014, 01:39 PM

not sure if serious... I mean Ujiri made some steals and turned water into wine a couple times, but really you want to argue for Morey? Morey for 2013-2014 gm of the year? I mean hes a super smart guy but every maneuver he made blew up in his face this year. His Asik auction was an epic fail and he lost credibility with every GM in the league when he welshed on his own auction model.

Salary's #3 and #4 on his roster combined for maybe 30mpg when the full roster was healthy and both have a useless skill set on this roster. Flipping them was priority #1 for the season and he was unable to accomplish this. Every free agent signing was a fail (cassipi, Brewer, Camby) other than Dwight and every GM would have signed Dwight if he had fallen to them, it was more right place right time for Morey. The team underachieved preseason predictions, and he had a trade deadline fail (AB who had been productive for Jordan Hamilton who got 0 mins in the playoffs.) Morey was a responsible enough care-taker GM this season who didn't make any moves to jeopardize the teams future, but this definitely won't be a year he likely looks back on fondly.

It's also a travesty that Buford doesn't have a whole closet of these trophy's.'

NYKnickFanatic
05-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Lol. Rockets fans. The moves you made couldn't even get you out of the first round, stop crying.

amak316
05-09-2014, 01:56 PM
I think this year no one really deserved it, so I'm totally cool giving this award to a guy that has been snubbed many times and has continued excellence for dozens of years. He also has fielded the #1 record in the NBA for the umpteenth time this year.

His best competition was Masa, who undoubtedly made some great moves. That being said his team still is in merky shape at best going forward, and he'll need another couple seasons of magic to make them into a competitor. He also won this award last year which makes voters want to "share the wealth" a bit more.

The Suns certainly made some good moves, but the bottom line is that management was 100% trying to tank and failed miserably by adding some very nice players. In my eyes there GM is akin to the village idiot who hit the lottery until proven otherwise. They also still missed the playoffs and are not in great position going forward.

The Blazers GM got third, but he pretty much was like Buford in that he didn't do much tinkering, and his team had nowhere near the record the spurs compiled. I think the right man won, and I'm not even a spurs fan.

Tony_Starks
05-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Just because he didn't make any big sexy moves doesn't mean he doesn't deserve it. The teams that made those splashy moves are sitting at home now. He made quiet moves and found and cultivated players that fit the Spurs system. Not to mention keeping glue guys like Splitter, Leonard, and Green.

Well deserved!

PurpleLynch
05-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Just one name:MARCO BELINELLI!

HeatAttack
05-09-2014, 06:53 PM
He almost had to win it, seriously. With all the success they've had, another 60 win season, never making any big splashes in free agency, preferring to go with under the radar guys and his draft picks. I know it's been said a million times, but it's incredible how he hasn't won it yet, until this year of course.

NBA_Starter
05-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Well deserved, they never seem to make a big splash in FA etc but they are a consistent bunch.

king4day
05-09-2014, 08:11 PM
I think this year no one really deserved it, so I'm totally cool giving this award to a guy that has been snubbed many times and has continued excellence for dozens of years. He also has fielded the #1 record in the NBA for the umpteenth time this year.

His best competition was Masa, who undoubtedly made some great moves. That being said his team still is in merky shape at best going forward, and he'll need another couple seasons of magic to make them into a competitor. He also won this award last year which makes voters want to "share the wealth" a bit more.

The Suns certainly made some good moves, but the bottom line is that management was 100% trying to tank and failed miserably by adding some very nice players. In my eyes there GM is akin to the village idiot who hit the lottery until proven otherwise. They also still missed the playoffs and are not in great position going forward.

The Blazers GM got third, but he pretty much was like Buford in that he didn't do much tinkering, and his team had nowhere near the record the spurs compiled. I think the right man won, and I'm not even a spurs fan.

A few things on this:

1. I don't doubt McDonough wasn't expecting a 48 win season but he didn't just make trades to make them. He targeted each player in his return. Indy didn't want to deal Miles Plumlee in the Scola deal and McDonough wouldn't budge until he was included. Green wasn't a toss in either. They probably didn't expect him to have a career year but he fit the Suns fast pace style.
Also, you don't trade for Bledsoe and expect the team to be a 15 win team.

2. McDonough was a big part of how Boston constructed their title team as Rondo isn't a Celtic if it wasn't for him. So comparing him to a village idiot who got lucky is silly. The dude knows what he's doing. In a couple of years, more people will see this when Len and Goodwin turnout to be, at the very least, good role players in what every said was a very weak draft.

3. Not in a great position going forward? 3 #1 picks this year. Possibly 3 more next season. Control of Eric Bledsoe. Dragic hitting his prime. Plenty of young pieces to make a move and a ton of cap space. Sure, we didn't tank and won't wind up with a potential game changer in this draft but the franchise isn't in a holding pattern anymore.