PDA

View Full Version : Are Thabo and Perkins preventing OKC from going all the way?

mdm692
05-06-2014, 03:11 PM
I know that defense plays a great part in winning it all, about 60% I'd say, but these guys are just horrible on offense and for what OKC does. Why hasn't the FO replaced them and why does Scott Brooks continue to play them? The Grizz series showed how much of a liability they are which IMO led to Westbrook trying to take everything into his own hands. If you look back you have the option of passing the ball to a double teamed KD, a tough pass to Ibaka, a pass to Perkins or Thabo or taking the shot himself. KD and Ibaka passes will probably be TO because of the attention played to those players and Thabo and Perkins passes lead to horrible shots due to their ineptness on the offensive end so IMO Westbrick, how we like to call him, was forced into those situations by horrible coaching and a FO that we praised so much but after drafting Harden has been on a downward spiral of bad moves. Thoughts? Is it time for OKC to get rid of these 2 guys?

Max.This
05-06-2014, 03:25 PM
If they had tyson chandler instead of Perkins they'd be a lot better off.

MrfadeawayJB
05-06-2014, 03:26 PM
No not really I pin point it more towards Scott brooks and Westbrook not establishing other players as a pg

mdm692
05-06-2014, 03:39 PM
No not really I pin point it more towards Scott brooks and Westbrook not establishing other players as a pg

How can you when KD is doubled teamed, Ibakas passing lane is pretty tight and your only options are take the shot or give 2 offensively inept players the ball? Like literally 0 offense. PJ Tucker and Tyson Chandler would be much better options for this team.

D-Leethal
05-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Tyson and Shumpert would fit in so seamlessly in that starting lineup.

MrfadeawayJB
05-06-2014, 03:41 PM

How can you when KD is doubled teamed, Ibakas passing lane is pretty tight and your only options are take the shot or give 2 offensively inept players the ball? Like literally 0 offense. PJ Tucker and Tyson Chandler would be much better options for this team.

True but it's unfair to put the blame on two guys who barely even have the ball in their hands. Let's not forget these guys at least play defense. Westbrook needs 15-20 shots on this team, but he can have better shot selection and quit turning it over so much

Yanks All Day
05-06-2014, 03:48 PM
I pin it on everyone. Even Kevin Durant.

Brooks doesn't seem to have an offensive plan. He's very much like Mike Brown in Cleveland. Give it to the star and let him make a play.

Westbrook doesn't seem to get that he's not the best player, but he's really good. Sometimes he takes too many shots, but he's immensely talented. Heck, he was the only reason OKC had the chance to come back in some of those Memphis games. Inconsistency is his issue.

Durant has become a better playmaker, but as the star he still needs to do more. Yeah, his assist numbers are up, but if you watch the game, he's not controlling the game like the 2nd best player in the world should. He can be too passive.

The role players are just streaky. Period. But that's why they are role players. Most of the league's role players are streaky. At the end of the day, OKC only has 2 players who can consistently create their own shots, and that hurts against really good teams. Reggie Jackson has shown flashes of that ability as well.

Of the remaining teams, OKC has the fewest players who can create their own offense, besides maybe the Pacers.
Miami has LeBron, Wade, and Bosh. Allen, Chalmers, and Cole work really well off the ball to create offense.
The Nets have Pierce, Johnson, and Williams. Livingston, Thornton, and Anderson can also create offense.
The Wizards have Beal and Wall to go with Ariza, Miller, etc.
The Spurs have Leonard, Parker, Ginobili, Duncan, and the best ball movement in the league. Everyone scores.
The Clippers have Paul, Carwford, Griffin, and Collison. JJ Redick is becoming one of the best off-ball players in the league.

When everything is clicking, the Thunder are nearly unstoppable. But against really good teams, it is hard to get everyone clicking. OKC wants to play an up-and-down the court game. They want to get out and run, but if one star is off, it is really hard for the other to carry the entire load against good competition. They might just not be built to win. They need a 3rd consistent playmaker.

jerellh528
05-09-2014, 05:12 AM
Ehh, that team just isn't constructed that well IMO. Luckily they have the best player this season in kd, and one of the top guards in the league in westy. They go as far as those two take them, sure ibaka is a great defender, but there's not much else to speak of. They can still go all the way though.

Hotone1401
05-09-2014, 05:33 AM
I think the biggest key is getting a coach who can get KD & Westbrook to play together as opposed to simply taking turns on offense. If they could do that, then sky's the limit for those two.