PDA

View Full Version : Should the Free Agency period start before the NBA Draft ?

Stunner
05-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Do you think it will benefit teams in drafting the right player by filling their team needs with more established players first or is it ok the way it is now ?

abe_froman
05-05-2014, 06:56 PM
i dont think it matters either way

Stunner
05-05-2014, 07:00 PM
i dont think it matters either way

I think it could really , just like the NFL draft some signings can allow the franchise to look toward another need on their team and I think the chances of bigger draft day deals could be increased.

Hellcrooner
05-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Yes.
It should start as soon as the last game is played.

And there should be no moratory stop **** just deal during the whole summer.

Stunner
05-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Yes.
It should start as soon as the last game is played.

And there should be no moratory stop **** just deal during the whole summer.

I'll give it a week or two after the last game of the finals to start and then move the draft to the first Thursday of July .

abe_froman
05-05-2014, 07:10 PM
I think it could really , just like the NFL draft some signings can allow the franchise to look toward another need on their team and I think the chances of bigger draft day deals could be increased.
most teams dont draft need,they just take bpa,not really much strategy involved nor would switching it effect the draft much...besides you can still make trades up til the end of draft night.there are already tons of draft day(or pre draft) deals that happen.

Stunner
05-05-2014, 07:19 PM
most teams dont draft need,they just take bpa,not really much strategy involved nor would switching it effect the draft much...besides you can still make trades up til the end of draft night.there are already tons of draft day(or pre draft) deals that happen.

Disagree with the effect the draft much , picking up more established players for your roster at a position is better than taking a chance on a rookie . Yes you can also take BPA but their are teams that take on need . Yes a lot of deals happen now in the draft but I think " bigger " deals can happen if they switched. Just my opinion

JasonJohnHorn
05-06-2014, 01:01 AM
I think teams want to see what they get in the draft before they sign free agents and the free agents likewise want to see who a team drafts before they decide where to sign.

Draft first seems to work best.

dhopisthename
05-06-2014, 01:09 AM
I like the way it is. you draft based on best available and use free agency to fill in holes.