PDA

View Full Version : Report: Raptors eying Vince Carter in free agency

spreadeagle
05-05-2014, 11:20 AM
He actually would be a nice fit at this point, Raps need some solid vets
Pending free agent Vince Carter wants to stay with the Mavericks, but a couple years ago, he said this about signing with the Raptors:

“If (Toronto) gave me the opportunity, I don’t even think I’d let them finish the question. Yes. I’m in,” Carter said, speaking on Cybulski and Company.

“Could I see it? Absolutely,” Carter continued. “I’d leave that up to the franchise. It all started in Toronto, I’d be a fool to ever forget that.”

Well, “the franchise” might want him.

Marc Stein of ESPN:

Word is that the Raptors have been kicking around the idea of making a free-agent play this summer to try to bring Vince Carter “home” by trying to sign the former face of the franchise away from the Mavericks.

Be advised that Carter has been very happy in Dallas these past three seasons. Veryhappy. He’s emerged as the emotional leader of Dirk Nowitzki‘s team

A free agent this summer, Carter will have plenty of options.

He followed a strong regular season with an even better postseason, highlighted by scoring 28 points in 27 minutes in a Game 5 loss to the Spurs. Carter has become a dependable reserve still capable of occasional star-level contributions.

At 37, Carter could get another decent-sized contract – he made $9.27 million during the last three years with Dallas – or accept less on a contender.

The Raptors could certainly use him. He’d be an upgrade over John Salmons and Landry Fields, or he could maybe even start over Terrence Ross. Ross had plenty of good moments, but at times, he was playing over his head, and a reserve role might ease his development. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/05/report-raptors-eying-vince-carter-in-free-agency/

KnicksorBust
05-05-2014, 11:22 AM
I actually don't like this for the Raptors but he is still talented enough to help them so I get it. Love to know if any fans would boo him.

smith&wesson
05-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I would love this for my raptors. we need that bench depth, he can easily fill a 6th man role on the raps

albertajaysfan
05-05-2014, 11:57 AM
I actually don't like this for the Raptors but he is still talented enough to help them so I get it. Love to know if any fans would boo him.

Curious as to why you think that?

North Yorker
05-05-2014, 11:58 AM
If we get him and draft a defensive/athletic SF at pick 20 then I feel I a lot better about our wing rotation.

WVNowitzki
05-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Would be nostalgic for the Raptors, but I really hope the Mavs bring him back, he has been terrific for Dallas.

GrumpyOldMan
05-05-2014, 12:00 PM
I'd rather get a stronger defensive player at the 3. Joe Johnson and Brooklyn exposed a problem for us that we need to remedy. I wouldn't mind Vince coming back but I dont see him as what we need.

North Yorker
05-05-2014, 12:08 PM
I'd rather get a stronger defensive player at the 3. Joe Johnson and Brooklyn exposed a problem for us that we need to remedy. I wouldn't mind Vince coming back but I dont see him as what we need.

We really didn't have a backup SG as we were forced to play Vasquez and Lowry together with Lowry at the 2. Getting Carter would give us a lot more options. And there are a bunch of athletic/defensive SFs that we could draft at pick 20 (Jerami Grant/KJ McDaniels/Rodney Hood/TJ Warren/etc).

bucketss
05-05-2014, 12:11 PM
rudy gay would have been awesome if he wasn't such a ball hog.

LAKobeBryant
05-05-2014, 12:11 PM
VC can still play and give a lift off the bench scoring wise, he's proven this in the playoff

P&GRealist
05-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Vince Carter's career coming full circle.

Nice! :clap:

blastmasta26
05-05-2014, 12:43 PM

Even more so for Memphis.

Cal827
05-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Based on how he played in Sacremento... if we had waited maybe another year to develop JV, then went after him, we could be :drool:

His game is at its best when there's an elite scorer/scorers in the paint.

Cal827
05-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Maybe to this idea.

Derozan/Carter
Ross/Carter

I would rather take a run at a more stable, defensive player (Deng!) but if we can get Carter for our bench too, then it would help the swing positions for sure.

I'm wondering at this point, if the Raptors will dangle Ross in order to try and acquire a starting 4 as well

E.G Ross, Fields and the less favorable of their firsts in 2016 for Faried

Or will they maybe look at Z-Bo or Gaslol

BALLER R
05-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Simple question would the Raptors rather have Vince or Salmons. It's not even a question.

BALLER R
05-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Maybe to this idea.

Derozan/Carter
Ross/Carter

I would rather take a run at a more stable, defensive player (Deng!) but if we can get Carter for our bench too, then it would help the swing positions for sure.

I'm wondering at this point, if the Raptors will dangle Ross in order to try and acquire a starting 4 as well

E.G Ross, Fields and the less favorable of their firsts in 2016 for Faried

Or will they maybe look at Z-Bo or Gaslol

Ross isn't going anywhere.

jimm120
05-05-2014, 01:31 PM
first Nash and now Vince?

mayber they should work out a trade for Nash (cheap stuff only) and sign Vince for a final season. That'll put them as a "tough" team, but also have a canadian legend in Carter and a Canadian citizen in nash back there for a competitive team/

BALLER R
05-05-2014, 01:37 PM
first Nash and now Vince?

mayber they should work out a trade for Nash (cheap stuff only) and sign Vince for a final season. That'll put them as a "tough" team, but also have a canadian legend in Carter and a Canadian citizen in nash back there for a competitive team/

Unless Nash is going to be an assistant coach I don't want him.

albertajaysfan
05-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Unless Nash is going to be an assistant coach I don't want him.

Unless LA will do a Nash for Fields and Hayes swap with Nash retiring right after....lol

Stunner
05-05-2014, 03:45 PM
No come to Chicago

MonroeFAN
05-05-2014, 03:54 PM
This is not topic worthy.

Stunner
05-05-2014, 03:58 PM
This is not topic worthy.

Thanks thread police

ghettosean
05-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Simple question would the Raptors rather have Vince or Salmons. It's not even a question.

Salmons... I don't want Vince coming back for the rest of his career even if he is a better option at SF.

dtmagnet
05-05-2014, 04:13 PM
A definite upgrade over Salmons, he'd be great off the bench or even starting.

BALLER R
05-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Salmons... I don't want Vince coming back for the rest of his career even if he is a better option at SF.

Take your emotions out of it.

JEDean89
05-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Raps should go hard for Luol Deng and hope the JV amir johnson pairing can work out.

R. Johnson#3
05-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Raps should go hard for Luol Deng and hope the JV amir johnson pairing can work out.

This. Deng would be a much better fit for this team. We also need a backup C really badly.

Gibby
05-05-2014, 04:42 PM
I will take him because he is better than Salmons but we need a strong defensive SF too. We also need a backup center (an actual center not chuck hayes) and maybe a starting PF. Terrance can be moved for the right piece, he is far from off limits.

Gibby
05-05-2014, 04:47 PM

i dont think we would be willing to pay what Luol Deng wants.

smith&wesson
05-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks thread police

lol some people just have nothing better to do.

smith&wesson
05-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Vince Carter has been terrific for the MAVS and he makes a about 3 million on his contract. Bargain to say the least.

Im pretty sure Mark Cuban will match any reasonable offers that VC may get. the only way to pry him is to over pay for him. in that scenerio I say no thanks.

But watching VC all year and in the post season, he is such a steal for the contract the mavs had him on. just unreal.

dalton749
05-05-2014, 07:24 PM
if he comes to toronto, it better be for cheap

JEDean89
05-05-2014, 07:50 PM
i dont think we would be willing to pay what Luol Deng wants.

i dunno masai paid javale and nene both overpaid contracts, i could see him dishing out 10+ a year for Deng.

still1ballin
05-05-2014, 08:00 PM
It would be a solid pickup. He still has some left in the tank and will provide experience to a young team.

FriedTofuz
05-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Vince in, Salmons out, seems like a no brainer.

Deadpool
05-05-2014, 08:55 PM
I'd love to see VC back in a Raptors jersey.

FriedTofuz
05-05-2014, 08:58 PM
To add to my previous post, I'll be honest, I did not ever want to see Carter back after what he's done to the fans. As a child, it probably distraught me quite a bit to see it happened the way it did, it's not everyday that your Hero becomes the devil.

Putting emotions aside as an adult (I'm 20), I would think it' fair to reconsider Carter's talent in terms of how it would make this basketball team better. Yes what he done isnt forgivable, but can he redeem himself? I dont know if I'm gettting too ahead of the game, but if the Raptors are ever an elite contender and Carter is apart of that team that can win a championship or at least get past the 2nd round it would be huge. I'd definitely forgive him if vince was still able to make shots, or at least be an integral part for the raptors to advance and contend. I think if he does come to Toronto, he should sacrifice a tad just because of what the raptors have been through, it's the least he can do. I dont think he has any problem with money anymore.

Although, I think there are bigger holes to fix for this raptor team. THe raptors had no answer for Joe Johnson, we need a physical guard/ foward like Deng/ ariza/

cg_la00
05-05-2014, 09:07 PM
If we get him and draft a defensive/athletic SF at pick 20 then I feel I a lot better about our wing rotation.

jordan adams perhaps?

MonroeFAN
05-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks thread police

lol some people just have nothing better to do.

What do you mean? I didn't make the rules. He's an 12 ppg scorer on 40% and he's a dinosaur. It's not general forum material. Post it in the raptors forum.

bucketss
05-05-2014, 09:17 PM
he wants to come back when hes old nah **** that -

smith&wesson
05-05-2014, 09:57 PM
What do you mean? I didn't make the rules. He's an 12 ppg scorer on 40% and he's a dinosaur. It's not general forum material. Post it in the raptors forum.

VC has been pretty solid considering his age. Also if he does return to the raptos, it makes for a good enough story to be in the nba forum. The nba forum is a joke anyways.

WadeCounty
05-06-2014, 12:01 AM
I would really like to see VC and Nash possibly going to Toronto, real cheap ofcourse so they can afford other players. VC and Nash being on the bench on limited minutes a game ofcourse and to guide the team in tough moments like what they didn't have this game 7. Give me VC taking a half court shot over lowry trying to charge through police in riot shields any day

smith&wesson
05-06-2014, 12:33 AM
I would really like to see VC and Nash possibly going to Toronto, real cheap ofcourse so they can afford other players. VC and Nash being on the bench on limited minutes a game ofcourse and to guide the team in tough moments like what they didn't have this game 7. Give me VC taking a half court shot over lowry trying to charge through police in riot shields any day

VC yes, Nash no, he doesn't have much left.

SPURSFAN1
05-06-2014, 12:35 AM
VC already used to the warm weather down here. He stays in dallas.

kobe4thewinbang
05-06-2014, 01:49 AM
Vinsanity might be getting nostalgic after hitting that buzzer beater, but I think he's happy with Dallas. He resurrected his career there the past few years.

FriedTofuz
05-06-2014, 12:04 PM
If the raptors offer him a contract he'll go back, he wants his jersey retired and if he's able to make peace there's no doubt in my mind that his jersey will be retired. Regardless of how happy he is in Dallas, this is a prime opportunity to not only make peace but to secure his legacy, no one can forget how dominant Vince was in his time.

Sly Guy
05-06-2014, 03:45 PM
If Carter wants the money, then he doesn't come.

If Carter is interested in repairing his image with Toronto fans, and is concerned with his legacy here, he might come at a discount.

I'm not saying he HAS to come at a discount, or that he SHOULD come at all, but I think that's what it'll boil down to. If he does come back, I don't have a problem with it, and it would make for another one of those 'warm and fuzzy' NBA moments next year.

I Rock Shaqs
05-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Based on how he played in Sacremento... if we had waited maybe another year to develop JV, then went after him, we could be :drool:

His game is at its best when there's an elite scorer/scorers in the paint.

You're obviously forgetting how lazy and terrible he is on defense, as weell as his super mega deal.

todu82
05-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I doubt very much Toronto would do this not after Carter being a pri madonna when he was there before.

NBA_Starter
05-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I think he may sign a one day contract with the Raps and retire when the time is right.

kobe4thewinbang
05-06-2014, 09:15 PM
I mean, if he does leave Dallas, he could help the Raptors. He's basically the X factor. Might go off for 20+pts. Great off the bench. Raptors didn't score very well against the Nets.

jerellh528
05-09-2014, 05:15 AM
He should retire there