PDA

View Full Version : What do they need to do to be successful next season?

BALLER R
05-04-2014, 10:34 PM
This is about individual players, what do you think they need to do to improve?

Defense won't be easy for him to improve, but I would love if Demar got stronger and play more physical like Joe Johnson.

Ross- mid-range, strength and ball handling.

Jonas- Hands, Strength, Post moves/foot work.

Patterson- Post moves, footwork.

I'll add casey just for the sake of it - rotation, game ending plays.

R. Johnson#3
05-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Break Joey Crawford's legs.

smith&wesson
05-05-2014, 11:23 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/toronto-raptors-to-pursue-signing-vince-carter-in-free-agency-303357.html this guy off the bench instead of salmons

ink
05-05-2014, 11:28 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/toronto-raptors-to-pursue-signing-vince-carter-in-free-agency-303357.html this guy off the bench instead of salmons

Could be one way to groom our wing players.

Jamiecballer
05-05-2014, 11:34 AM
anybody see Vince last night run across the court to get in Blairs face after that technical? now that's leadership. of course the fact that it turned out to be a foul on San Antonio was sort of funny but if you think Vince is the same guy he used to be i suggest you look for that clip.

killersweet
05-05-2014, 11:37 AM

That would be an awesome move.

killersweet
05-05-2014, 11:39 AM
anybody see Vince last night run across the court to get in Blairs face after that technical? now that's leadership. of course the fact that it turned out to be a foul on San Antonio was sort of funny but if you think Vince is the same guy he used to be i suggest you look for that clip.
Yup, saw that. Blair was out of control with his emotions through out the series. That's what veterans do. That's what Oakley did to Vince 13 years ago.

Eagles4Lyfe
05-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Man if we freaken had Carter over Salmons this year holy hell we would've cruised by the damn Nets.

First step boot Casey the eff out. I want a Hoiberg, Sloan, Stan Van Gundy, heck even Mark Jackson if he gets booted. Dude did awesome job with a young team and would thrive with our guys.

Second replace Salmons with VC.
Huge for our brnch.

Third resign Lowry, Patterson and Vasquez. Boot Hayes. Maybe use Hansbrough as a big trade bait or keep him for insurance.

Fourth draft a lengthy and really solid wing defender, we need a true SF still.

Fifth I believe we have two expirings next yr we can use as trade bait.

Masai has tons of options and ability to be creative lets see how he does.

Does anyone know what salary cap is supposed to b next yr?

Jamiecballer
05-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Yup, saw that. Blair was out of control with his emotions through out the series. That's what veterans do. That's what Oakley did to Vince 13 years ago.

what i found most impressive was that he literally sprinted from the other end of the court. it's easy to be a leader when no one is particularly paying attention but it's hard to be discreet when you have to sprint down the court lol

killersweet
05-05-2014, 11:55 AM
what i found most impressive was that he literally sprinted from the other end of the court. it's easy to be a leader when no one is particularly paying attention but it's hard to be discreet when you have to sprint down the court lol

yea, Vince really got on Blair's face. That was funny to watch. Ross and Val would learn a lot. only thing is, I hear he likes Dallas a lot and they like him a lot too :(

Jamiecballer
05-05-2014, 11:59 AM
yea, Vince really got on Blair's face. That was funny to watch. Ross and Val would learn a lot. only thing is, I hear he likes Dallas a lot and they like him a lot too :(
if he's the man i think he's become he will want that happy ending.

that came out wrong.

ink
05-05-2014, 12:05 PM
This thread is veering off topic. The Op is asking what our current players need to do to improve.

Jamiecballer
05-05-2014, 12:15 PM
yeah i realized that. my bad. just keep working hard :shrug:

pebloemer
05-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Ross: Add strength, continue to work on handles, work on pull up jumper, keep shooting 3's (especially in the corners)

DeRozan: Add strength, continue to work on handles, keep watching tape (could look at some of Joe Johnson's foot work when posting up which shows how he creates space for himself going to the basket rather than fading away), find more consistency with the 3.

Patterson: Develop a go to move with his back to the basket, watch tape, work on defensive rotations

Valanciunas: Learn to go baseline on the post up, tighten up handles, work on defensive rotations, watch tape.

Amir: Get healthy, stay in shape, except your role, you are good at it.

Vasquez: Keep working on that shot and those floaters. Work on defending the dribble (just go to the gym with Lowry daily and try to stay in front of him ;)).

Lowry: Stay in shape, resign with team, push teammates to keep improving throughout the off-season.

ink
05-05-2014, 12:42 PM
yeah i realized that. my bad. just keep working hard :shrug:

No worries. But the VC discussion is totally relevant in the free agent thread because it's probably one of the biggest off season goals.

killersweet
05-05-2014, 01:40 PM
This thread is veering off topic. The Op is asking what our current players need to do to improve.

sorry, didn't mean to derail the topic at hand.
DD-Improve the court vision. League knows him know. He is going to get double teams a lot. He needs to get better getting off double teams, especially in the playoffs.
Ross: Needs to get stronger and attack the rim with authority. he was very passive in the playoff series.
Val: Needs to improve his defensive presence. Can't let guys get by him by force. Also work on the post moves.
Lowry-Keep working hard at improving the decision making skills and stay fit.
Amir-Needs to get healthy.

albertajaysfan
05-05-2014, 02:51 PM
sorry, didn't mean to derail the topic at hand.
DD-Improve the court vision. League knows him know. He is going to get double teams a lot. He needs to get better getting off double teams, especially in the playoffs.
Ross: Needs to get stronger and attack the rim with authority. he was very passive in the playoff series.
Val: Needs to improve his defensive presence. Can't let guys get by him by force. Also work on the post moves.
Lowry-Keep working hard at improving the decision making skills and stay fit.
Amir-Needs to get healthy.

+1

Also want to add that Val could improve his passing skills. If both Demar and Val can improve their passing awareness this team could be really hard to stop on offence.

killersweet
05-05-2014, 02:56 PM
+1

Also want to add that Val could improve his passing skills. If both Demar and Val can improve their passing awareness this team could be really hard to stop on offence.

Does Val work with any big guys coach? If not, they should really get someone to help him with the post moves. The guy has potential. Hopefully he utilizes and becomes a great player instead of another decent big man.

albertajaysfan
05-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Does Val work with any big guys coach? If not, they should really get someone to help him with the post moves. The guy has potential. Hopefully he utilizes and becomes a great player instead of another decent big man.

Good question.

Hopefully he works with Sabonis in Lithuania over the summer. That would be awesome. Because our big man coach isn't going to cut it,:facepalm: Jamaal Magliore.

railduck
05-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Haha well I've been following these forums for over five years now, and I finally decided that it was time to get an account. I truly appreciate all the Raptors insight from everybody, and I thought that I'd try to share mine with you too. I spent an hour writing up my thoughts on "my pipe dream to become a contender in two years", but I didn't realize that, as a rookie, I couldn't start my own thread. I'll just post it on here.

railduck
05-05-2014, 05:05 PM
How the Raptors can become a Contender in Two Years (My Pipe Dream)

2014-2015 Season

-Sign Lowry to 4 yr. 48M contract
-Decline Team Option on Salmons (stuck paying 1M this year)
-Pick-up Team Option on Johnson
-Sign Vazquez to 3 yr. 15M contract
-Sign Patterson to 3 yr. 15M contract
-Sign Carter to 2 yr. 5M contract
-Sign De Colo to 2 yr. 3M contract
-Trade Novak, Hansbrough, and our two 2nd rounders for Brandon Wright(expiring in 2015)
-Draft Jerami Grant (Sign to a rookie contract, comparable to Tony Snell (20th overall in 2013))
-Sign Hilton Armstrong to a 1 yr. 0.8M contract
-Sign Shannon Brown to a 1 yr. 0.8M contract

PG - Lowry (12M), Vazquez (5M) De Colo(1.5M)
SG - Derozan (9.5M), Fields (8.5M), Brown (0.8M)
SF - Ross (2.8M), Carter (2.5M), Grant (1.4M)
PF - Patterson (5M), Johnson (7M), Wright (5M)
C - Valanciunas (3.7M), Hayes (6M), Armstrong (0.8M)
Bought Out - Salmons (1M), Camby (4.2M)

Total Salary - 76.7M
Cap = 77M

2015-2016 Season

-Sign Johnson to 3 yr. 15M contract
-Sign Durant to a 5 yr. Max Contract 115.5M contract
-Sign Dalembert to a 2 yr. 5M contract
-Draft SG (Hield) in first round, sign to an affordable rookie contract
-Draft PF (Mickelson) in second round, sign to a comparable 2nd round rookie contract

PG - Lowry (12M), Vazquez (5M) De Colo (1.5M)
SG - Derozan (9.5M), Ross (3.5M), Hield (0.8M)
SF - Durant (23.1M), Carter (2.5M), Grant (1.5M)
PF- Patterson (5M), Johnson (5M), Mickelson (0.5M)
C - Valanciunas (4.6M), Dalembert (2.5M)

Total Salary = 77M
Cap = 77M

Lingering Questions with this make-up:

-Will Lowry Re-sign
(Optimism says that we will pay him reasonably, and that he truly believes that this is "just the start for [him] and the Raptors organization".)

-Will Vazquez and Patterson accept only 5M/per season
(Optimism says that Vazquez and Patterson both finally feel like they are an important part of a team that has the potential to grow into a contender)

-How will you afford to re-sign Derozan, Ross, and Valanciunas
(Optimism says that the cap will continue to rise, and that with Carter's and De Colo's contracts coming off the books, things will work themselves out. However, we likely may be forced into trading Derozan or Ross before it gets to this point.)

-Will Johnson accept only 5M/season, or do we let him walk?
(Optimism says that Amir loves Toronto, and would be willing to accept a hometown discount to continue living in Toronto, and playing for the Raptors.)

-Will Carter sign here?
(Optimism says that he wants to make amends with the organization, and finish his career where it all began, with the potential of having his jersey hung from the Raptors' rafters)

-And the big one: Will Durant sign here
(Optimism says that many factors will contribute into Durant signing with the Raptors. One, would be the opportunity to play for the team that he grew up following, and even play alongside Carter, a player that Durant idolized as a child. Another factor, would be the chance to play with his former High School teammate, and good friend, in Vazquez. Also, in just a short time as the MLSE CEO, Tim Leiweke has done an incredible job recruiting players, and one could only imagine how hard he would try to convince Durant that Toronto is where he should sign.

Additional Considerations:
-Toronto is hosting the 2016 NBA All-Star Game
-We still will have two 1st round picks in 2016 to work with
Somehow, before this season started out, I was very, very pessimistic about the Raptors players, their management, and the way the organization was being run. In the span of one year, I have become very optimistic about the future of this organization.
-Drake :)

Let me know what your thoughts are! Great to be a part of this forum!

Bramaca
05-05-2014, 05:16 PM

I don't think the Raps will have the cap room to sign Durant to a max contract in this situation. The luxury tax is $77 million, not the cap. You can't just sign players for whatever you want all the way up to the luxury tax.

BALLER R
05-05-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm worried about Amir. His ankles been a problem all seaon and he played through it. Hopefully he doesn't have any serious damage to it now.

bucketss
05-05-2014, 05:21 PM
lowry -lose weight

derozan - improve handles, basketball iq as well because he takes some momentum killing long two's

jv - his defensive awareness needs to improve, aslo he looks clumsy at times in the post

BALLER R
05-05-2014, 05:23 PM
lowry -lose weight

derozan - improve handles, basketball iq as well because he takes some momentum killing long two's

jv - his defensive awareness needs to improve, aslo he looks clumsy at times in the post

He doesn't need to lose wieght.

BALLER R
05-05-2014, 05:28 PM
I think Demar should work with Olajuwon too. Look what JJ did to you and that should be your mindset to do to everyone else.

Raptor
05-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Ross and Valanciunas' development is key in the success of this team next year and going forward. I once heard this somewhere, (not sure where but it does have some weight), your third year could define what type of player you'll be in this league.

bucketss
05-05-2014, 09:40 PM
[B]

he looks pretty pudgy

ink
05-05-2014, 09:54 PM
[B]

he looks pretty pudgy

Funny because weight was what patman said too in his press conference. Lol actually it's what he said was the biggest change for Lowry.

BALLER R
05-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Funny because weight was what patman said too in his press conference. Lol actually it's what he said was the biggest change for Lowry.

Yeah his houston days he was really big compared to now. Even last season to now.

North Yorker
05-05-2014, 10:07 PM

Welcome. I too am thinking that Masai and TL need to be planning for when Durant becomes a FA. Unfortunately though, he doesn't become a FA until the 2016/17 season, not 15/16. I think Masai should continue to stockpile draft picks for the '16 draft, in the event he needs to package them with some of our contracts to create cap space to sign a max FA. And ya as Bramaca said, the Lux tax is different from the salary cap. You can only go over the cap to re-sign your own players (for the most part).

killersweet
05-05-2014, 10:12 PM
Now that Casey is signed, he should learn to step up for his players next season against refs. For a team that gets shafted a lot from the officials, Casey ranks in the bottom in terms of technical fouls for coaches. Even in game 7, DD shouldn't be getting the tech, it should have been Casey. It is amazing how coaches like pop, thibs and Carlyle protect their players.

killersweet
05-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Good question.

Hopefully he works with Sabonis in Lithuania over the summer. That would be awesome. Because our big man coach isn't going to cut it,:facepalm: Jamaal Magliore.
Sportsnet says Val will work with Hakeem over the summer about post moves. That's good news.

ink
05-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Good question.

Sportsnet says Val will work with Hakeem over the summer about post moves. That's good news.

I heard that at the press conference too.

smith&wesson
05-05-2014, 10:32 PM

here it is .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISM9MCj619U

smith&wesson
05-05-2014, 10:37 PM

amazing news... imagine jval with the dream shake :speechless:

LAKobeBryant
05-05-2014, 10:58 PM
jack armstrong needs to stop blaming the ref on every single possesion

killersweet
05-05-2014, 11:00 PM
jack armstrong needs to stop blaming the ref on every single possesion

Jack was over the top with his complaints in the 1st round. I was a bit surprised by that. He is usually not like that. but he was *****ing like the fans.

killersweet
05-05-2014, 11:01 PM
amazing news... imagine jval with the dream shake :speechless:

haha, that would be something else. But Val does have the potential and if he can learn some post moves from the dream, he will be a star.

BALLER R
05-05-2014, 11:02 PM
Now that Casey is signed, he should learn to step up for his players next season against refs. For a team that gets shafted a lot from the officials, Casey ranks in the bottom in terms of technical fouls for coaches. Even in game 7, DD shouldn't be getting the tech, it should have been Casey. It is amazing how coaches like pop, thibs and Carlyle protect their players.

One thing I've been saying all year. Even the greatest coaches get T'd up. Jason Kidd did the same thing before game 6 and look what happened. Sometimes that fine is worth it.

You can not be passive when it comes to the refs. Sometimes you just have to take that tech to stick up for your players.