PDA

View Full Version : 76ers guard MCW to be named rookie of the year

spreadeagle
05-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Michael Carter-Williams is an overwhelming favorite to take home Rookie of the Year honors this season, and according to one report, itís a decision that has already been made, and will be announced next week.

From Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com:

Michael Carter-Williams, the Sixers rookie point guard, will be named the NBA Rookie of the Year, a league source with knowledge of the voting has confirmed to NJ.com.

The award is expected to be announced next week.

In what is widely considered to be a down rookie class in terms of immediately impactful individual contributions, Carter-Williams is likely to win in a landslide once the official voting is announced.

The Sixers rookie averaged 16.7 points, 6.2 rebounds, 6.3 assists and 1.9 steals in 34.5 minutes per contest, while starting in all 70 of his appearances.

On our unofficial ballots, Carter-Williams was first on all three, followed by Victor Oladipo, Trey Burke, and Mason Plumlee.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/03/report-michael-carter-williams-to-be-named-rookie-of-the-year/

HouRealCoach
05-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Expected

Lakers + Giants
05-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Not because he's anything special. . . All other rookies just aren't as good.

spreadeagle
05-03-2014, 11:41 PM
I like Plumlee too

slashsnake
05-03-2014, 11:49 PM
He had a very nice all around year. You can argue a lot came in blowouts, but he was great in their close games and wins too, and didn't have the greatest help around him. Deserving and will be fun to see if and how well he grows in future years.

king4day
05-04-2014, 02:03 AM
This should have been the first award announced since it was obvious he'd win it.

0nekhmer
05-04-2014, 02:07 AM
He's got a lot of potential to be a two way star

Trwood12
05-04-2014, 02:23 AM
No ****..

koreancabbage
05-04-2014, 02:33 AM

he's got a great around game to his. look at his stat lines throughout the season. phenomenal....until you get to his FG% - putrid. lol but thats something he can work on - he's got the talent to be a great cornerstone of a franchise

slashsnake
05-04-2014, 02:39 AM
he's got a great around game to his. look at his stat lines throughout the season. phenomenal....until you get to his FG% - putrid. lol but thats something he can work on - he's got the talent to be a great cornerstone of a franchise

Agreed... 16-6-6 as a rookie has been done twice before. Oscar and Magic (both did it MUCH better though).

His shot is his weakest link, and I wonder how much of that is not having any good options to draw the defense off him. I didn't see enough of his games to say that was an issue or not. But if you are shooting 20% from downtown after the all star break and still shooting 2.5 of those a game, your offense has issues.

SeoulBeatz
05-04-2014, 02:54 AM

Nailed it.

I doubt he'll ever be a very good to elite shooter, but his 6'6" frame and crafty two-way game will make him a cornerstone of the franchise for years to come. 16, 6, and 6 is nothing to scoff at as a rookie and you can bet he'd have more assists if he weren't surrounded by the likes of B.J Mullens, Tony Wroten and James Anderson.

With added talent around him, I can see his scoring average dipping from here on out but his assists and rebounds rising. He has great work-ethic and hustles every minute he's on the court so I trust him to consistently improve in the future.

Also, you can't discredit the whole class. While it was weak, I also LOVE what Oladipo did this season. He deserves credit for how hard he plays and he's got just as bright a future as MCW.

Trey Burke could also be special IMO.

Knowledge
05-04-2014, 03:15 AM
Well deserved.

Not the most spectacular rookie class, but he definitely had the worse hand dealt to him as far as roster talent goes. He played all year with developmental talent that struggled to shoot, which hurt his game since it is predicated on slashing/attacking/finding the open man.

The fact that Evan Turner, the same man who sat the bench all night in a crucial game 7, played such a large roll for us, shows what MCW was working with. If MCW ever develops a shot, it would be scary.

PurpleLynch
05-04-2014, 07:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8zQYfWKhfk

Anyway,this draft was weak,but I'm really eager to see what he can do in the Nba. He has to improve his shot(the form is good imo),but we'll see,he has the tools to become elite. Under 25 there's a crazy potential for Pg role:Lillard,Wall,Westbrook,Thomas,Mcw,Bledsoe,Wal ker etc...

2-ONE-5
05-04-2014, 10:40 AM

only 2 other players in history had the same stat line as MCW but yea he was nothing special....

2-ONE-5
05-04-2014, 10:43 AM
his shot just needs to become respectable and as we add more tlaent around him he will get better looks but he just needs to get stronger and learn how to finish better at the him bcuz he was damn near unarguable this year 1v1 but struggled to finish for a variety of reasons.

PhillyFaninLA
05-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Hopefully we get lucky in the lottery and the Pelicans don't.....if you can pair Wiggins or Parker and a Gary Harris, Nik Stauskas, or James Young we can see a ton of pressure taken off of MCW and we what he can do, I trust his shot will slowly develop over the next few years.

Imagine going into next year:

MCW
Gary Harris, Nik Stauskas, or James Young
Wiggins or Parker
Young (I believe he will be traded for a in the mid 1st round and that will be the guy here)
Noel

That in a few years can turn into something really nice.

Lakers + Giants
05-04-2014, 12:45 PM
only 2 other players in history had the same stat line as MCW but yea he was nothing special....

He honestly wasn't, those were empty stats. He was only able to put up those stats because he got a lot of playing time on a historically bad team. He was in the perfect situation. Do I think he's got the potential to be a great player? possibly. But he won the award because he was in a weak draft class.

JEDean89
05-04-2014, 04:13 PM
this draft class won't go down as badly as people think. bennett, len, noel, porter, mcallum all had major injuries that prevented them from doing anything this year, that's a nice chunk of the lottery. MCW, Dipo, the Greek Freak, Burke, Dieng and Plumlee all look really solid to me too. Probably not multiple superstar HOF draft class, but had some interesting talent for sure. Nothing like this years though.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2014, 04:21 PM
he was a bright spot in a weak *** draft.

Stunner
05-04-2014, 04:38 PM
He's what everything Livingston was suppose to become

5ass
05-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Deserved it, but I'd still take orlandipo

zn23
05-04-2014, 04:43 PM
He's average....

PhillyFaninLA
05-04-2014, 06:02 PM
He's average....

Because average players have multiple triple doubles from the point guard position...I'm not saying he is the next Jason Kidd but to call him average or for him to be given some of the dislike (including the weak draft stuff) if a bit naive.

He played well, not great, not epic, but he showed he is a solid player as a rookie and if he develops correctly he could be very good, but to say he's average is not understand the game.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Because average players have multiple triple doubles from the point guard position...I'm not saying he is the next Jason Kidd but to call him average or for him to be given some of the dislike (including the weak draft stuff) if a bit naive.

He played well, not great, not epic, but he showed he is a solid player as a rookie and if he develops correctly he could be very good, but to say he's average is not understand the game.

this draft class was pathetic. But as I stated above, he was a bright spot. He at least appears to be a good starting guard for his career, at the very least. Possibly all star potential, we will have to see how he, and his team develops.

More-Than-Most
05-04-2014, 06:49 PM
I still masturbate to the Jrue holiday trade

PhillyFaninLA
05-04-2014, 07:03 PM
this draft class was pathetic. But as I stated above, he was a bright spot. He at least appears to be a good starting guard for his career, at the very least. Possibly all star potential, we will have to see how he, and his team develops.

I think you said it very nicely before and here.....my whole point was that he did play above average. For a first year he had a really nice start, do I think he'll be a top 5 point guard, not next year but who knows.

edit:

meant do not think in the last sentence

MagicBucsSox
05-04-2014, 07:13 PM
He had a decent rookie season. Deserves the ROY. Stats definitely went in his favor dude to playing with D-league players. Oladipo should finish 2nd. Not far off with the #'s but played with other players unlike MCW. Well deserved . Ppl saying this draft stunk, let it play out first. Hell from the Lebron draft only 5 players are relevant

tredigs
05-04-2014, 07:14 PM

On more nights than not I saw a turnover prone player with a broken shot but high usage raking up stats on an abysmal team. He is active and does posses the building blocks for an all around game (the rebounds and high volume scoring definitely help his box-score followers), but I just don't see a very bright future for MCW. He's not that young, either. Same age group as Wall/Rubio/Irving.

96 Orating, 48% TS, 0.026 WS/48. 62 among point guards in RPM.

All bad signs despite cool looking box-score #'s.

tredigs
05-04-2014, 07:22 PM
He had a decent rookie season. Deserves the ROY. Stats definitely went in his favor dude to playing with D-league players. Oladipo should finish 2nd. Not far off with the #'s but played with other players unlike MCW. Well deserved . Ppl saying this draft stunk, let it play out first. Hell from the Lebron draft only 5 players are relevant

Lol. 5 are AllStar or Superstar level, and many others have been or are in relevant rotations nearly a decade later: Hinrich/Ridnour/Kaman/Diaw/Perkins/Bonner/Korver. And multiple others like Barbosa/Delfino/Blake/Josh Howard had respectable stints. It was an absolutely dominant draft.

MagicBucsSox
05-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Lol. 5 are AllStar or Superstar level, and many others have been or are in relevant rotations nearly a decade later: Hinrich/Ridnour/Kaman/Diaw/Perkins/Bonner/Korver. And multiple others like Barbosa/Delfino/Blake/Josh Howard had respectable stints. It was an absolutely dominant draft.

And your 1year into last years draft. And outside the obvious Miami big3, Melo and David West. The draft is average. Now the 96 draft is the best ever . Don't talk to me about rotation player bro.

SMH!
05-04-2014, 07:45 PM
He honestly wasn't, those were empty stats. He was only able to put up those stats because he got a lot of playing time on a historically bad team. He was in the perfect situation. Do I think he's got the potential to be a great player? possibly. But he won the award because he was in a weak draft class.
so shouldnt every rookie playing on horrible teams put up numbers like him? Most sixer fans arent overrating him, just happy we got a good player at 11, he needs to work on his shot and would love to see him surrounded by good teammates.

SMH!
05-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Isnt that a disadvantage? the game would/should be easier for him if his teammates werent d-league bad. Also, I actually love Dipo, probably has the higher ceiling but MCW played great for a rookie this season, especially since his teammates werent anything special.

cmellofan15
05-04-2014, 07:48 PM
a lot of criticism for a first year player....

KingOf215
05-04-2014, 07:51 PM

This.

tredigs
05-04-2014, 07:57 PM
And your 1year into last years draft. And outside the obvious Miami big3, Melo and David West. The draft is average. Now the 96 draft is the best ever . Don't talk to me about rotation player bro.

lmao at "dont talk to me about rotation players BrO". Those are the belts and gears of the league buddy, and for them to still make rotations a decade later is very impressive. In this draft we will be lucky to have 8 rotation players 5 years from now and even 1 All-Star. It was a crap draft, period.

tredigs
05-04-2014, 08:03 PM

A first year player with very distinct and tough to fix holes in his game, specifically that shot. And not an 18 year old, a guy who is going on 23.

He was the ROY, obviously he has talent, but I think it's fair to point out his weaknesses.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2014, 08:10 PM
I think you said it very nicely before and here.....my whole point was that he did play above average. For a first year he had a really nice start, do I think he'll be a top 5 point guard, not next year but who knows.

honestly, his efficiency was not average really. But you have to take into account his team gave him almost zero help, outside Young here and there. He is tough to project honestly. Like I said, at the very least, he will be a good starting guard. At the very best, he can be an all star player.

His development will be interesting to watch. I would really like to see him with even a little talent haha, compared to what he had this year.

cmellofan15
05-04-2014, 08:15 PM
A first year player with very distinct and tough to fix holes in his game, specifically that shot. And not an 18 year old, a guy who is going on 23.

He was the ROY, obviously he has talent, but I think it's fair to point out his weaknesses.

well in all fairness, it isn't unseen for guys to fix their jump shot, especially while they're still young. LeBron, Blake, Igoudala, Matthews, Tony Allen, Derozan, Belinelli etc. have done it pretty well. Not saying he will be like one of those guys but it's achievable and he's off to a pretty damn good start.

PhillyFaninLA
05-04-2014, 08:30 PM
honestly, his efficiency was not average really. But you have to take into account his team gave him almost zero help, outside Young here and there. He is tough to project honestly. Like I said, at the very least, he will be a good starting guard. At the very best, he can be an all star player.

His development will be interesting to watch. I would really like to see him with even a little talent haha, compared to what he had this year.

I agree with you, and in my last sentence mean do not think

MagicBucsSox
05-04-2014, 08:52 PM
lmao at "dont talk to me about rotation players bro". Those are the belts and gears of the league buddy, and for them to still make rotations a decade later is very impressive. In this draft we will be lucky to have 8 rotation players 5 years from now and even 1 all-star. It was a crap draft, period.

and your comparing them to guys technically still in season 1

MagicBucsSox
05-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Isnt that a disadvantage? the game would/should be easier for him if his teammates werent d-league bad. Also, I actually love Dipo, probably has the higher ceiling but MCW played great for a rookie this season, especially since his teammates werent anything special.

If he was a Center it's be a disadvantage. But as a pg he always has the ball. He's clearly the winner of the award. I hope he develops a shot. I worry of him defensively as he gets older guarding small fast guards . Sixers GMis kicking butt. Well outside them Bynum deal

Knowledge
05-04-2014, 09:18 PM
^I think he has shown plus defensive potential already.

Most times guys come into the league and improve on their raw skills without ever fixing their weaknesses. I would argue that it is close to impossible to fix any other skill, but shooting is fixable.

Obviously, he has a lot of improving to do, but he has already shown plus potential in every other area of the game imo.

Add to it the fact that he was surrounded by other very flawed players this year, and very little consistent floor spacing, and I think MCW did more than enough to deserve praise for his year.

NBA_Starter
05-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Congrats, well deserved.

todu82
05-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Good for him, on a poor Philly team this year MCW had a great season.

Lakers + Giants
05-04-2014, 10:11 PM
so shouldnt every rookie playing on horrible teams put up numbers like him? Most sixer fans arent overrating him, just happy we got a good player at 11, he needs to work on his shot and would love to see him surrounded by good teammates.

Oh, trust me, I think you guys got 2 of the top 3 players in the draft (the other being Noel). But not every rookie has the opportunity to start, even on bad teams. MCW had the luxury of starting and being the best player on not just a bad team, but a historically bad team. He won the award for a reason, but like I said, it's because his draft class sucks, if this were any other year I don't even think he'd be top 3 in ROY personally.

slashsnake
05-04-2014, 10:42 PM
It's always a fun debate of playing with good players or bad ones.

Does having poor scorers around you help or hurt your assist totals?

Does having no other good ball handlers help or hurt your turnover totals?

Does having teammates who don't draw double teams or become a focus of the defense help or hurt your scoring?

Does having teammates who don't board well and don't box out well help or hurt your rebounding?

Stats can show one bit of that. They were a much better team when he played. They shot better, defended better, passed and rebounded better when he was out there.

And throw in that the games they won and close games he did well. When his team was playing well, he wasn't fading away.

But I do have that same worry. Very good year with not much to work with, but I keep getting this little memory of Joe Smith. Guy who I loved his rookie year, but then never a step forward after that.

bringbackfredex
05-04-2014, 11:06 PM

Yeah he's only a 6'6 point guard who put up one of the best stat lines ever at his position for a rookie. This on top of the fact that he played with D-Leaguers all season. Say this again in two years when he has one of Wiggins/Parker/Embiid/Randle, Noel, and whoever the Sixers' other high first round pick is this year as a supporting cast.

Oh and don't even try citing his poor shooting as any kind of argument either. LeBron shot 41% from the field his rookie year with no team around him and MCW shot 40%, he was by far the best rookie in this class and would have contended for the award in many classes.

2-ONE-5
05-05-2014, 10:16 AM
cant wait til hes running floor throwing oops to Noel and Wiggins left and right. people just love to hate and fuels it more when most hate that we chose to rebuild and hate how well it has worked out to this point.

EvanTurner
05-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Lol the mcw got haters already so you know he blowing up! ROY award was obvious and hell just keep gettimg better and better exspecilly when we kill this draft with 8 picks and got plenty cap to sign some cheap veteran role players flto show the pups the way. The sixers will be in the playoffs next year.

joeyc77
05-06-2014, 08:32 AM
MCW definitely deserved the award. His points may have been am little inflated because of the team being bad but that's about it. His shot needs to improve but it's fixable. He'll be a good starter and on a good team his points will drop a couple with his assists going up.