PDA

View Full Version : Where do you think Damian's game winner ranks all time?

ThaDubs
05-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Series at 3-2. Down 2 points with .9 left. A miss means game 7 at Houston and a probable lost series for the Blazers. Instead, Damian rises up from deep left wing fading away and splashes the 3 to take the Blazers to the second round. Where does this shot rank all time for you? Top 5? Top 10? Top 100?

Pakman
05-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Series at 3-2. Down 2 points with .9 left. A miss means game 7 at Houston and a probable lost series for the Blazers. Instead, Damian rises up from deep left wing fading away and splashes the 3 to take the Blazers to the second round. Where does this shot rank all time for you? Top 5? Top 10? Top 100?

I'd say top 5. Definitely behind Jordan vs Utah and kobe vs Phx. Definitely ahead of LeBron vs Indiana and vs Orlando.

RateSports
05-03-2014, 01:17 PM
I think you guys are kind of jumping the gun on this

tredigs
05-03-2014, 01:29 PM
As a true buzzer beating game winner, it's tough to top, especially given it was a series winner against a higher seed. Lebron's against the Magic in the Finals is up there too.

The playoffs normally have that one guy who becomes a true star in them, and this year it looks like that will be Lillard. He was incredible and topped it off with a bang that will be in every "top ten greatest shots ever" list going forward.

tredigs
05-03-2014, 01:34 PM
I'd say top 5. Definitely behind Jordan vs Utah and kobe vs Phx. Definitely ahead of LeBron vs Indiana and vs Orlando.

Kobe's V Phoenix was a great one, and obviously MJ's on Utah as a late shot is among the best, but that lacked a little punch being that there was still 8 or 9 seconds left in the game.

I don't see why it's "definitely above Lebron's V Olrando" and not these. Lebron's V Orlando was a highly contested 3 to win a Finals game at the buzzer. Nice little feather in the resume that I'm not sure who else has.

FYL_McVeezy
05-03-2014, 01:36 PM
I think I can put it in my top 10 Playoff shots.....

Pakman
05-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Kobe's V Phoenix was a great one, and obviously MJ's on Utah as a late shot is among the best, but that lacked a little punch being that there was still 8 or 9 seconds left in the game.

I don't see why it's "definitely above Lebron's V Olrando" and not these. Lebron's V Orlando was a highly contested 3 to win a Finals game at the buzzer.

LeBron's GW against Orlando I consider more a lucky shot especially considering his reaction. If LeBrons was considered an all time great then derek fishers 0.4 shot which was extremely lucky should be up there with his. LeBron's shot was East finals not finals btw.

JasonJohnHorn
05-03-2014, 01:47 PM
It's hard to rank it without first knowing how far the Blazers go. If he hits more in the future and he plays for championship teams, or if this team wins it all, then people will go back to this game and say: they only reason they were in a position to win was because of this shot. If that happens, then that shot ranks pretty high.

If they go onto the second round and get swept, and Lillard and the Blazer face a series of first-round knock out and/or lottery appearances, then people won't even remember this next year.

Iggz53
05-03-2014, 01:51 PM

I don't see why it's "definitely above Lebron's V Olrando" and not these. Lebron's V Orlando was a highly contested 3 to win a Finals game at the buzzer. Nice little feather in the resume that I'm not sure who else has.

*ECF. I think I would give this one the edge because this shot clinched the series. Both were fantastic though.

Obviously we have Ralph Sampson's shot vs Lakers in 86, Jerry West's half-court shot to tie against NY in 70, Jordan vs Jazz in 98, Jordan vs Cavs in 89, Robert Horry vs Blazers in 02, Kobe vs Suns in 06, Lebron vs Magic in 09, and Ray Allen last year against the Spurs. Those just off the top of my head.

But Lillard's was pretty, I'd put it in my Top 15 for sure.

tredigs
05-03-2014, 01:55 PM
LeBron's GW against Orlando I consider more a lucky shot especially considering his reaction. If LeBrons was considered an all time great then derek fishers 0.4 shot which was extremely lucky should be up there with his. LeBron's shot was East finals not finals btw.

Lucky? I don't see why. He sqaured up and nailed it, that was as legit as it gets. And yeah I keep saying finals, but EC Finals*.

tredigs
05-03-2014, 02:01 PM
*ECF. I think I would give this one the edge because this shot clinched the series. Both were fantastic though.

Obviously we have Ralph Sampson's shot vs Lakers in 86, Jerry West's half-court shot to tie against NY in 70, Jordan vs Jazz in 98, Jordan vs Cavs in 89, Robert Horry vs Blazers in 02, Kobe vs Suns in 06, Lebron vs Magic in 09, and Ray Allen last year against the Spurs. Those just off the top of my head.

But Lillard's was pretty, I'd put it in my Top 15 for sure.

Some of those weren't to take the lead or still left time for the other team to run plays, which is why I'd have Lillard's and Lebron's so high. All amazing shots though, good call.

Jamiecballer
05-03-2014, 02:09 PM
I'd rank it higher but he got way too open. I'll remember it more for how poorly Houston defended it.

Hawkeye15
05-03-2014, 02:19 PM
tough to rank them, but it was a great shot. He got way too open though, Houston should have been keeping direct tabs on Lillard the way he has shot.

tredigs
05-03-2014, 02:22 PM
tough to rank them, but it was a great shot. He got way too open though, Houston should have been keeping direct tabs on Lillard the way he has shot.
Harden should have switched off Wes when the screen happened. He had a direct line to stay in his face while Wes was caught in the mess of bodies 35 feet away. But, that would be considered defense, so...

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-03-2014, 02:24 PM
If we're only going by the first round, I think only MJ over the Cavs beats this one.

mdm692
05-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Next to Brandon Roys vs the Rox. :p.

Ezio
05-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Next to Brandon Roys vs the Rox. :p.

It's the exact same play.

tredigs
05-03-2014, 02:40 PM
It's the exact same play.

It's ridiculous how identical they are, down to the exact same score. Entirely different stakes, though.

ThuglifeJ
05-03-2014, 02:53 PM
What about Vince's? Did ppl not witness that? It was amazing. Lillards won the series but Vince's was vs a 1 seed and was a redemption to his miss in 2001, same shot.

I'd put both of them in my top 10. Kobes vs Suns and MJs top it for me tho

Hawkeye15
05-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Harden should have switched off Wes when the screen happened. He had a direct line to stay in his face while Wes was caught in the mess of bodies 35 feet away. But, that would be considered defense, so...

Harden has literally zero defensive awareness, so I never expected him to pick that up. Parsons can't let himself get jammed that hard on the screen.

Vinylman
05-03-2014, 03:12 PM

agreed... but why are people surprised... Houston is horrible defensively...

and as far as game winners... DFish says hello (.3)

cmellofan15
05-03-2014, 03:13 PM

Yeah, there were two lazy screens set on the play. Parsons or Harden could have contested that a lot better.

curtcocaine
05-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Ahead of Horry vs the kings.

Goose17
05-03-2014, 03:19 PM
It's in my top 10 favourites personally but you could put it anywhere. This is such a subjective thing there's no right or wrong, it depends on how long you've been following the league, how many you've seen, all sorts of bias, whether or not you're including ALL basketball plays you've seen or just NBA etc etc.

Anyway, I love this;

valade16
05-03-2014, 04:02 PM
I'd rank it higher but he got way too open. I'll remember it more for how poorly Houston defended it.

I'm curious, what would it actually take for you to give the Blazers some credit :rolleyes:

Jamiecballer
05-03-2014, 04:10 PM
What do you mean. It was a great shot. Regardless of the really poor defense I still give credit for making the shot. But I've been watching for like 20 years and that is not one of the amazing ones for the simple fact that it was pretty well straight up and wide open.

Goose17
05-03-2014, 04:13 PM
What do you mean. It was a great shot. Regardless of the really poor defense I still give credit for making the shot. But I've been watching for like 20 years and that is not one of the amazing ones for the simple fact that it was pretty well straight up and wide open.

He barely got his feet set and it was easily the biggest pressure moment of his career. I can't think of many other 23 year olds that could have pulled it off.

Like I said, it's too subjective for right or wrong, but credit where it's due, I've seen guys miss much easier shots than that.

Hawkeye15
05-03-2014, 04:32 PM
agreed... but why are people surprised... Houston is horrible defensively...

and as far as game winners... DFish says hello (.3)

that one was amazing. So was Horry against the Kings I remember. What about MJ's versus Cleveland.

There are just too many to even rank.

Vinylman
05-03-2014, 04:34 PM
that one was amazing. So was Horry against the Kings I remember.

There are just too many to even rank.

kareem in game 6 of the finals on the bucks... paxson against phoenix in the finals...

yeah... just to many to remember

tredigs
05-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Has there ever been a true buzzer beater to win a playoff series, though?

Asik's better
05-03-2014, 04:38 PM
If harden left wes would be all open near the basket with Dwight tangled with Aldridge. Jones was the one in the wrong position to begin with. He should of been blocking the pass to the three rather than Aldridge.

tredigs
05-03-2014, 04:53 PM
If harden left wes would be all open near the basket with Dwight tangled with Aldridge. Jones was the one in the wrong position to begin with. He should of been blocking the pass to the three rather than Aldridge.

It was just bad team D all around, really. If they're smart, once they see that Lillard (primary target) is running away free through a pick, Harden slides up on him and Beverly shifts to Wes so Parsons can pick up Mo. You don't just let the #1 option get a free look at the hoop there if you're Harden.

Asik's better
05-03-2014, 05:17 PM
It was just bad team D all around, really. If they're smart, once they see that Lillard (primary target) is running away free through a pick, Harden slides up on him and Beverly shifts to Wes so Parsons can pick up Mo. You don't just let the #1 option get a free look at the hoop there if you're Harden.
Harden was basket side of Mathews to prevent the run on. If he switched to Llilard he would of been just as late as parsons was. As I said, if jones steps 30 cm to his left that pass becomes near impossible. Howard had Aldridge completely blanketed. There no need to stop that pass to him. Also bevs was in a better position to switch. He just fell for Mo's decoy.

tredigs
05-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Harden was basket side of Mathews to prevent the run on. If he switched to Llilard he would of been just as late as parsons was. As I said, if jones steps 30 cm to his left that pass becomes near impossible. Howard had Aldridge completely blanketed. There no need to stop that pass to him. Also bevs was in a better position to switch. He just fell for Mo's decoy.

No, Harden had a direct line to meet Lillard. He's the clear switch. Matthews was playing the far side and it would've been a block had he tried to get in Harden's way. You're right on Jones though, he should've done a better job guarding the inbound. Oh well, on to the next one.

PurpleLynch
05-03-2014, 06:18 PM
I just think you can't rank a buzzer beater like these. Obviously one of the greatest,but the story is that there are ton of great buzzer beaters. It was amazing anyway,that was a 2k14 kinda shot.

valade16
05-03-2014, 09:26 PM

the hate for the Blazers in you is so strong you are literally unaware of its presence.

Jamiecballer
05-03-2014, 09:30 PM
the hate for the Blazers in you is so strong you are literally unaware of its presence.

I have zero reason to hate the blazers. In fact I'm a big fan of quite a few of them - batum Matthews Lopez and lillard. I'm only telling you what I saw in the one replay I saw. Could I be wrong? Sure but there have been others in this thread already make the same observation so...

JordansBulls
05-03-2014, 09:47 PM
MJ's buzzer beater vs Utah, Stockton's 3 vs Houston, MJ's game winner vs Cleveland in the due or die game 5 of the 1st round.

Vampirate
05-03-2014, 09:51 PM
Brandon Roy's was more impressive to me as he hit a higher difficult shot when I looked at it.

valade16
05-03-2014, 10:00 PM
I have zero reason to hate the blazers. In fact I'm a big fan of quite a few of them - batum Matthews Lopez and lillard. I'm only telling you what I saw in the one replay I saw. Could I be wrong? Sure but there have been others in this thread already make the same observation so...

First it was not straight up, it was off balance falling away from at least a step behind the line. Go to the Blazers FB page and watch the replay from all angles.

It was a tough shot no matter the circumstances, let alone to win a game (and series) at the buzzer to avoid a game 7 on the road.

But to then say you won't even remember the shot or Lillard, that you'll remember the bad D is textbook hate. Getting you to compliment the Blazers this season has been like pulling teeth and even when you attempt to give a compliment when pressed it's always back handed.

It's alright though, you're just the centrally embodiment of the lack of respect we've gotten all season. Keep on hating, it's what fuels us.

RIP City.

NBA_Starter
05-03-2014, 10:17 PM
#1 in Portland :D

Trwood12
05-04-2014, 02:26 AM
I don't know. Top 20 maybe. Its hard to say.

Arch Stanton
05-04-2014, 02:31 AM
I think it has to be up there for Portland fans. Love Lillards game!

Jamiecballer
05-04-2014, 08:49 AM
I think it has to be up there for Portland fans. Love Lillards game!

Exactly

tr3ymill3r
05-04-2014, 09:28 AM
I spoke with Rich Patterson, radio producer in Portland, via email and he let me know that the shot was the biggest in Portland Trailblazer history. Therefore, it goes to the top of the list for the Blazers but possibly top 15-20 for the entire league. MJ has quite a few big shots, Fisher's .4, Robert Horry on multiple occasions and a slew of other players as well. Amazing shot, and as a Rockets fan, I am still baffled as to why Chandler Parsons and Patrick Beverly chose to switch the defense at the last second before the play started. Parsons guarded Lillard for .9 seconds all series long.

PhillyFaninLA
05-04-2014, 09:55 AM
The final 2 - 3 seconds of that game are as good as any ever.

Miltstar
05-04-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't think you really need to rank em man, it's as good as any buzzer beater ever, it's about the most exciting play you can hope to make in the NBA. There have been a lot of good ones, Christian Laettner's shot to win the NCAA title is right up there too, but it's really hard to say one is better than the other, your question seems more to be which game had the most at stake

Sly Guy
05-04-2014, 11:50 AM
it's a great shot, but I still reserve my highest ranks for such things for shots made deeper in the playoffs. Perfectly executed, perfectly shot though....wow.

Lakerfan8032
05-04-2014, 11:55 AM
It was a great shot and maybe their greatest for Portland's franchise. As far as series winning true buzzer beaters, Jordan's vs. Cleveland will always be up there and Stockton's against Houston was huge also. Alonzo Mourning's against the Celtics to win that series.

Of course my favorite buzzer beater of all time is Horry's against the Kings in 2002. If he doesn't make that the Lakers are down 3-1 and almost certainly would have lost that series. And no three-peat. Definitely my favorite. Fisher's was great too but ultimately getting trounced by the Pistons in the Finals sours that one for me.

To me if an important buzzer beater in the playoffs ultimately leads to a championship then it holds more importance overall. LeBron's against Orlando was great but I think that was the only game they won in that series. Kobe's against Phoenix was great but they also lost that series. And whoever mentioned Laettner's shot against Kentucky being for the championship, maybe regional championship. It was in the Elite Eight. But a great buzzer beater that ultimately led to a second consecutive championship for Duke. But that's the NCAA.

Lillard's was a great shot but it's to soon to rank it, especially top five all time. Huge shot though for sure.

Bruno
05-04-2014, 12:35 PM
i don't see why its not one of the top three or five game winners ever. a three pointer fading away with .9 seconds to close out the series, while avoiding a game seven in houston that they probably would have lost?

its better than Kobes game winner by default because Phoenix ended up winning that series. .9 three pointer fading away to win the series. doesn't get much better than that.

although i also like what the post above says- does it lead to a championship?

Jamiecballer
05-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Maybe I'm using different criteria but I consider the question to be more about degree of difficulty perhaps that's why I am viewing it differently than most of you.

mngopher35
05-04-2014, 03:01 PM
I think the last 3 posts bring up good points. It depends on what criteria is being used (difficulty, leading to a championship, winning a series etc).

For me I am going to look at it in the here and now of when the shot was made. The series was headed to game 7 at Houston. Portland hadn't won a playoff series in what like over a decade? There was .9 seconds on the clock. All of this leads me to think it is one of the best shots ever (without knowing the future). I was rooting for a game 7 to see more great basketball and even I thought it was awesome/was pumped up when it went in. I don't need to put a number rank on it but it was a very incredible shot and I feel like it could possibly be the best ever shot in their franchise history (with factors I listed above).