PDA

View Full Version : Who would help Houston More: Rondo or Melo?

JasonJohnHorn
05-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Harden had a rough series in terms of shooting, Dwight held up his end of the deal in term of rebounding and scoring, though LMA really abused the Rockets the first part of the series, and perhaps McHale could have done a better job down the stretch. The Rockets need help.

Two biggest issues is how Portland was abel to focus defensively on Harden and also exploit the point guard position.

A second scoring wing player (Melo) or a strong defensive point guard (Rondo) might have been the difference between a game-6 elimination and a four-game sweep.

Who do you think would be better? The Rockets have some trade pieces (Parsons + Asik and a pick may serve as adequate bait for a Melo sign-and-trade and Beverly or Jones, plus Lin and a pick be sufficient in securing Rondo), but which played should Houston target?

I think if they are creative they could pull off both, but I doubt that the Knicks or the Celtics would be interesting in helping the Rockets build a super team. If the Rockets could get one of the two, who do you think would help more?

JasonJohnHorn
05-03-2014, 09:15 AM
I'll go with Rondo. I think the Rockets could use more efficient passing and strong defense at the point guard position. With Beverly and Parsons and Jones all developing into solid scorers, they should be able to relieve the defensive pressure on Harden, it's just a matter of the coach shifting who the plays are being run for when teams clamp down on Harden.

waveycrockett
05-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Melo for sure. The Rockets have nothing at the PF position and that is Melo's best position. If LMA had to guard Melo for 40 minutes he would not have put up the kind of crazy numbers he did on the offensive end. I think if Beverly had been 100% this would have been a completely different series. Rondo doesn't look anywhere near the guy he was pre-injury.

DallasTrilla23
05-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Neither. Harden is at his best when he's got the ball in his hands an both of those guys would take the ball away from him.

They just need some more time to grow and a better bench, they were the youngest team in the playoffs.

archdevil84
05-03-2014, 09:33 AM
harden just sucks ***

blastmasta26
05-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Beverly is their defensive PG, Melo is the better fit since he would be a great stretch 4 and prevent defenses from being able to double anyone. But chemistry issues would be likely since Melo would want a lot of shots which would conflict with Dwight's desire to get a lot of touches.

Houston was trying to get Deron Williams from the Nets at one point too, and he'd be a better fit than either Rondo or Melo.

cssdmark
05-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Rondo. Houston can score they do not need another scorer. They need a defensive guard who distributes the ball.

IndyRealist
05-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Paul George, Roy Hibbert, and Luis Scola for Lin, Asik, T. Jones and sign n' trade Parsons. :hide:

DemarDerozan
05-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Rondo hands down. He has everything Houston lacks. Melo/Harden would be entertaining some nights but never get past round one. See the AI/Melo Nuggets.

ManRam
05-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Neither. Rondo if you had to pick one. Melo would be pointless.

They're only gonna get better. Morey won't and shouldn't panic.

tr3ymill3r
05-03-2014, 10:21 AM
I will say neither, because I think there will be a couple guys this off season that make things difficult for their GM to keep them, by requesting that they want out.

YoungOne
05-03-2014, 11:03 AM
they are very young, they just need to develop together and get some key bench players and that asik/howard lineup wont do it.

JasonJohnHorn
05-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Neither. Harden is at his best when he's got the ball in his hands an both of those guys would take the ball away from him.

They just need some more time to grow and a better bench, they were the youngest team in the playoffs.

Rondo had no problems sharing the ball with Pierce when they were playing together, and that allow others to move without the ball and spread defenders.
If Rondo was on the roster, that would mean that he gets to bring the ball up instead of Lin, and he and Harden can not only share ball handling duties when they are on the court at the same time, but each can handle the ball-handling duties exclusively when the other is on the bench.

And just because Harden is at his best when he has the ball in his hands doesn't mean the Rockets as a team can't improve with the ball in somebody else's hands. Harden is NOT an efficient playmaker. He turns the ball over a lot.

JasonJohnHorn
05-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Melo for sure. The Rockets have nothing at the PF position and that is Melo's best position. If LMA had to guard Melo for 40 minutes he would not have put up the kind of crazy numbers he did on the offensive end. I think if Beverly had been 100% this would have been a completely different series. Rondo doesn't look anywhere near the guy he was pre-injury.

I think Jones is developing nicely. And Melo is better at small forward. No doubt, Melo is better than Jones, but I think for the Rockets, they could use a guard like Rondo with Jones at PF and Parsons at SF, rather than replacing Jones with Melo and leaving Lin in the rotation.

It's be nice to keep a guy who could average double-digit rebounds with starting minutes and a high FG%, and Jones can do that, though I'm going more off stats for Jones as I haven't gotten to see him play much.

Dade County
05-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Lin & Aisk gone
Harden to the Clippers
Cp3 & Melo to Houston

Chrisclover
05-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Rondo. Houston can score they do not need another scorer. They need a defensive guard who distributes the ball.

This.
Also, Rondo is a tougher leader than both Harden and Howard. He shall cheer the team up easily.

Greg.
05-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Both are awful fits

Chrisclover
05-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Paul George, Roy Hibbert, and Luis Scola for Lin, Asik, T. Jones and sign n' trade Parsons. :hide:

If Bird sells George, he needs heavy medication.

Chrisclover
05-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Rondo hands down. He has everything Houston lacks. Melo/Harden would be entertaining some nights but never get past round one. See the AI/Melo Nuggets.

defend-less ballhogs.
Only a pair of them doesnt suffice to get the championship.Howard is regressing to the point where his once-transcendent but now-diminishing defensive contribution is not enough to fill the massive void Melo and Harden creates.

P&GRealist
05-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Neither. Harden Isos and chuck up 3s, parsons chuck up 3s and Dwight 2 move post ups is their offense and will remain their offense.

Rondo and Melo NEED the ball.

Chrisclover
05-03-2014, 11:54 AM
It is high time that Morey got a more complementary piece to the team by sending Asik away.

P&GRealist
05-03-2014, 12:12 PM
It is high time that Morey got a more complementary piece to the team by sending Asik away.

What does his analytical computer have to say ?

Chrisclover
05-03-2014, 12:18 PM

what ?
I know Morey had a hard time trying to sell Asik but it was mainly because he was too greedy,asking for much. Whatever reason it might be, this first-round-exit shall serve as the final catalyst to trigger a trade involving Asik.

east fb knicks
05-03-2014, 02:00 PM
neither one but both of them lmao
first off luol deng would be perfect on the rockets but if they want melo they should trade harden for melo and go after rondo rondo and melo both don't fit with harden kevin love or lma would fit perfect in between harden and d12 not another guard or another volume scorer

east fb knicks
05-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Neither. Harden Isos and chuck up 3s, parsons chuck up 3s and Dwight 2 move post ups is their offense and will remain their offense.

Rondo and Melo NEED the ball.

melo is actually a better player off the ball

Asik's better
05-03-2014, 02:30 PM

You have had a weird obsession with DM lately, is there anything you want to tell us?

mngopher35
05-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Neither are a great fit, but if I had to choose then Melo because he is the better player.

numba1CHANGsta
05-03-2014, 02:56 PM
The need a PG NOT another scorer. If they acquire Melo then expect issues in the locker room between who gets more shots Melo or Harden, heck even Dwight.

Hawkeye15
05-03-2014, 03:11 PM
if forced to pick between the two, Melo, he gives them a stretch 4. And everyone knows how down I am on Rondo.

shep33
05-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Neither. Rondo if you had to pick one. Melo would be pointless.

They're only gonna get better. Morey won't and shouldn't panic.

Yeah. Just keep Parsons and go from there. I'd keep Lin and Beverely too.

Rondo + Harden seems like a horrible combination

Goose17
05-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Neither. Give them Monroe.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Out of the two? Carmelo. Rondo would absolutely kill the offense of that team.

houstonfan
05-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Pretty much anybody but Rondo.

mdm692
05-03-2014, 04:04 PM
All I hear is offense, offense, offense. This is why teams like my SSOL Suns never won a ship. Too much focus on offense and not enough on defense.

IndyRealist
05-03-2014, 05:24 PM
All I hear is offense, offense, offense. This is why teams like my SSOL Suns never won a ship. Too much focus on offense and not enough on defense.

Most fans only pay lip service to defense, which is why all these speculation threads end up suggesting teams load up big name scorers and ignore defense and role players, let alone having a system and shot distribution.

SeoulBeatz
05-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Easily Rondo.

He would be incredible in Houston. When Rondo feels like it, he's a top 5 PG and arguably the best passer in the league. Surround him with athletic players who can run the break and spread the floor and that's a winning combination.

Don't know what they'd have to give up to get him though.

Oh yeah, Melo would be an awful fit in Houston. He should got to Chicago. Melo and Harden is redundant.

More-Than-Most
05-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Rondo... HE PLAYS DEFENSE

JasonJohnHorn
05-03-2014, 07:05 PM

I agree. This is why I think Rondo would work out so well because he can play defense.

Mike Conley might be the better option, but it doesn't look like he's on the market.

Chrisclover
05-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Yeah. Just keep Parsons and go from there. I'd keep Lin and Beverely too.

Rondo + Harden seems like a horrible combination

Parsons wants a much bigger contract which shall fit his current stellar performance,whereas Lin is enjoying a big contract which does not fit his on-court contribution. Wish they can swap their contracts.

JordansBulls
05-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Rondo so that Melo can go to Chicago and get the East a little better.

Chrisclover
05-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Rondo has ruined his reputation by being bossy and fickle. He seems tough and intimidating for his opponent, but he is also a head case in the locker room. Dude is still too immature to be a genuine and well-respected leader of the Celtics. That being said, he is improving, especially since he has been named the captain.
And as is known to us all, his shots are *****. I hope he can hone his shooting. See?some veterans have developed themselves to terrific shooters from mere passers or dunkers. Kidd did so and Carter,too. If Rondo is determined to be an elite PG like CP3,he had better add more weapons besides his layups sooner rather than later.
I think he is overrated when people are giving way too much credit for his passing ability. Admittedly, he is a solid passer but he has so many shooters around to rack up his assists, especially when Pierce and KG were still around.

Chrisclover
05-03-2014, 10:05 PM

McHale is not elite when it comes to the D,which is why some people say that a championship may not come when he is coaching.

KnicksorBust
05-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Melo would help more than Rondo but another year together and trading asik would help the most.

DillyDill
05-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Wow just looked it up both Lin and Asik getting 15mill next year, Wtf were y'all thinking. If Morey can flip those 2 for anything than he's a Genius.

slashsnake
05-03-2014, 10:28 PM
That is tough. I like Rondo more, and would love a perimeter defender there. But on the flip side, with guys like Dwight in the post getting doubled, or Harden driving the lane, sucking in the D and kicking it out, I am not sure I want Rondo as the guy taking the easy open jumper.

There is the immaturity or locker room demeanor as Chris brought up there.. But maybe with Dwight and Harden, he will take that secondary role instead of team leader a bit more.

Munkeysuit
05-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Good lord NO! Houston does NOT need Melo to win...that is the type of player they DONT need actually. Houston just needs a better system, and to get a pass first PG.