PDA

View Full Version : Do you see the Pacers trading Roy Hibbert at seasons end?

GiantsSwaGG
05-02-2014, 10:25 AM
The guy clearly has quit on this team, so do you see the Pacers trading him at the end of the season?

NYJ - NYY
05-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Trade bargs for him and their 1st rounder... Get it done Phil!!! ;)

IndyRealist
05-02-2014, 10:33 AM
I don't see how, his contract is simply too large to move. I realize there are some sucke.....er...aggressive GMs out there who might make a play for him, but not only would they have to think Hibbert will rebound (pun intended), they have to have enough cap space or contracts to send back. I think Indiana believes Hibbert will bounce back, and that him bulking up to 290 was a mistake. He was slow to begin with, now he's glacial.

Taimla
05-02-2014, 10:33 AM
I bet he will bounce back in these play-offs! He just has no place on the floor against this Hawks team but he will be huge against Wizards if pacers can advance.

ManRam
05-02-2014, 10:34 AM
No. Why trade him when his value is the lowest it ever has been or ever will be?

If I'm Pritchard/Bird, I try and just start fresh with him next year and see how it goes. If it's a disaster again, then yeah...explore a trade. If it's not, well, then you have a top-5 defensive center all over again.

koreancabbage
05-02-2014, 12:29 PM
I like hibbert but he's becoming a liability.

Either that he is in a funk because we've seen him dominate last year in the playoffs. So his skills are there.

He looks like Olawakandi out there at times

2-ONE-5
05-02-2014, 12:36 PM
isnt he on a max deal? he was never worth it when he got it and is maybe worth about half now

koreancabbage
05-02-2014, 12:42 PM
isnt he on a max deal? he was never worth it when he got it and is maybe worth about half now

YA lol. He's gonna become a financial burden if they want to move on to become a better team. I think he should give some of his salary to Lance Stephenson cuz they'll need him more than Hibbert moving forward

Player 2013/14 2014/15 2015/16
Roy Hibbert $14,283,844 $14,898,938 $15,514,031

ghettosean
05-02-2014, 12:44 PM
He gets 14.5 Million a year on average and he has a player option in 2015/2016... If he's playing then like he is now I bet he opts in... LOL

koreancabbage
05-02-2014, 12:47 PM
He gets 14.5 Million a year on average and he has a player option in 2015/2016... If he's playing then like he is now I bet he opts in... LOL

ditto.

THE MTL
05-02-2014, 12:50 PM
I'm not fond of a 7'2" who fails to grab a single rebound in 15 minutes. Makes bargs rebounding look acceptable

muelly
05-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Larry Sanders/Roy Hibbert makes a lot of sense. Both good rim protectors, early in big deals, could use a change of scenery.

GiantsSwaGG
05-02-2014, 01:03 PM
No. Why trade him when his value is the lowest it ever has been or ever will be?

If I'm Pritchard/Bird, I try and just start fresh with him next year and see how it goes. If it's a disaster again, then yeah...explore a trade. If it's not, well, then you have a top-5 defensive center all over again.

But he's quit on the team. Dude looks like he seriously doesn't want to be there

Chrisclover
05-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Injecting some steroid to him would be a much easier and feasible choice.
This dude is too tentative around the rim and too timid when guarding his opponent.

COOLbeans
05-02-2014, 01:21 PM
No.

He's overpaid but can still get better

Chrisclover

probably not a Max. Just around 10m per year.

ombada
His contract cant be moved, and as a Pacer fan i dont want it to be. Ide like to see what he can do against a team the plays a style of ball hes more capable of handling. Pulling him out to the perimeter is the kiss of death for a center like Hibbert.

I think he turns it around to at least pre playoff numbers (about 6pts/8reb) if we can make it out of this series.
But really against a team like Washington or the Nets, he would be much more effective.

Yanks All Day
05-02-2014, 01:29 PM
If he were traded last year, Indy would have gotten a king's ransom. This year, his value is incredibly low relative to what he was. I'd keep him for one more year and see if he could regain that form he had last season. There's something going on with the Pacers in general, and I don't think Roy Hibbert is fully to blame. If you can get your 7'2 center playing back up to his potential, you're in a great spot whether you trade him or not. Now isn't the time to let him go.

rpgmaster86
05-02-2014, 01:37 PM
If he were traded last year, Indy would have gotten a king's ransom. This year, his value is incredibly low relative to what he was. I'd keep him for one more year and see if he could regain that form he had last season. There's something going on with the Pacers in general, and I don't think Roy Hibbert is fully to blame. If you can get your 7'2 center playing back up to his potential, you're in a great spot whether you trade him or not. Now isn't the time to let him go.

I'd give up Tyson Chandler (has one year left) for Hibbert....Hibbert and melo could be a poor man's kobe and shaq. I think Phil could probably get more out of hibbert offensively.

MrfadeawayJB
05-02-2014, 01:45 PM

Exactly. Trade high, not when his value is the lowest it's ever been. They'd get trade raped if he came back and enjoyed relative success

P&GRealist
05-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Nobody wants Hibbert's contract.

Sadds The Gr8
05-02-2014, 02:01 PM
no. still convinced he's injured. a player doesn't just regress to D-league level like this for no reason

koreancabbage
05-02-2014, 02:08 PM
no. still convinced he's injured. a player doesn't just regress to D-league level like this for no reason

injured mentally. he's got no mojo at all.

GiantsSwaGG
05-02-2014, 02:30 PM
injured mentally. he's got no mojo at all.

Something tells me Lance Stephenson probably ****ed him up in practice too but it's not being reported!

TheNumber37
05-02-2014, 02:39 PM
This is an Overreact.

The Hawks are playing small and spreading the floor with great shooters who are hot... (whose having the playoffs of his life) Not every team in the NBA can play like that.
Hibbert can still prove his value in other series... if they make it that far and he does NOT then there is something to be said.

FOBolous
05-02-2014, 03:15 PM
He's in untradable. Along with Amare, he's the most overpaid player in the nba

cmellofan15
05-02-2014, 03:31 PM

hahaha tell that people who hate Dwight for his play in Los Angeles

ManRam
05-02-2014, 03:32 PM
I need a bigger sample size to start lobbing things around like "most overpaid player" and laughing about his contract. He's probably been worth it for the majority of the deal. I think a lot of people are indeed overreacting. The dude has been a very valuable players in recent years. They don't reach consecutive EC Finals without him...let alone one of them. You don't go from being one of the 3-5 most impacting defenders and a competent offensive player to utter garbage for no reason. And if you do, it's a fluke. Don't forget, Hibbert was GREAT in the playoffs last year.

Start fresh. There's nothing to lose...even if it is something merely as simple, and bad, as him "quitting" on the team (something I don't buy, BTW). If it doesn't look better to start next year, well, look to move him then. His stock isn't gonna get any worse. I think giving up on him that quickly would be foolish :shrug:

Indy won't be the same going forward without his defense. I'd gamble on hoping that returns to form over just giving up on him 10 times out of 10. They won't reach the heights they've reached without him, so you might as well see if you can recoup the Hibbert of old.

cmellofan15
05-02-2014, 03:39 PM
I need a bigger sample size to start lobbing things around like "most overpaid player" and laughing about his contract. He's probably been worth it for the majority of the deal. I think a lot of people are indeed overreacting. The dude has been a very valuable players in recent years. They don't reach consecutive EC Finals without him...let alone one of them. You don't go from being one of the 3-5 most impacting defenders and a competent offensive player to utter garbage for no reason. And if you do, it's a fluke. Don't forget, Hibbert was GREAT in the playoffs last year.

Start fresh. There's nothing to lose...even if it is something merely as simple, and bad, as him "quitting" on the team (something I don't buy, BTW). If it doesn't look better to start next year, well, look to move him then. His stock isn't gonna get any worse. I think giving up on him that quickly would be foolish :shrug:

Indy won't be the same going forward without his defense. I'd gamble on hoping that returns to form over just giving up on him 10 times out of 10. They won't reach the heights they've reached without him, so you might as well see if you can recoup the Hibbert of old.

I agree with you, but I also think Indy jumped the gun in the same sense by paying him that much. Hibbert's career has been all about stretches and he's impossible to read because of the peaks and valleys that he goes through. But in hindsight, Indy had to pay him that much, so that's no knock on them for retaining him...but it's a hard thing to evaluate because I don't believe he's actually this bad, but nor did I believe that he'd actually stay as good as he was earlier this season and last playoffs. I guess I'm just gonna sit the fence on this one :laugh2:

cmellofan15
05-02-2014, 03:40 PM
and I love the sig Manram!

tr3ymill3r
05-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Who's trading for that? Seriously? Unless the Pacers advance to the next round and he consistently averages 18 and 10 nobody is trading anything other than a bag of basketballs for him, and even then that might be too high of an asking price.

hoosiercubsfan
05-02-2014, 04:09 PM
The guy clearly has quit on this team, so do you see the Pacers trading him at the end of the season?

If you have seen him on the bench being the biggest cheer leader he clearly has not quit on the team. Just more to the fact that the Hawks are a horrible match-up for him. I am not concerned as a Pacer fan in the least in his playoffs performance. But rather want to know what happened to the first half of the season Hibbert versus 2nd half. He was dominate in the first half of the season and it went down hill fast after the ASG.

As far as trading him? Not a chance in hell. They will rise or fall with what Hibbert can provide for them especially on the defensive end.

FOBolous
05-02-2014, 04:22 PM
This is an Overreact.

The Hawks are playing small and spreading the floor with great shooters who are hot... (whose having the playoffs of his life) Not every team in the NBA can play like that.
Hibbert can still prove his value in other series... if they make it that far and he does NOT then there is something to be said.

So you think it's ok to pay a player max money only for him to literally disappears and is completely ineffective against certain teams?

hoosiercubsfan
05-03-2014, 12:10 AM
So you think it's ok to pay a player max money only for him to literally disappears and is completely ineffective against certain teams?

In how the team is currently constructed yes. They are constructed with only one goal in mind and that is to take down the Miami Heat. In that scenario Hibbert's job is to play rim protector. Now if you want to talk about the validity of this goal then it is less on Hibbert and more on the Pacers FO.

Though with that said I would not be surprised at seasons end that you don't hear that something was wrong with Roy made up or not. He was playing at a very high level in the first half of the season and completely fell off a cliff the rest of the way. I am not sure what caused this but you don't forget how to play basketball after half of a season. Pure speculation might have to do with him calling the team out having a bunch of selfish dude's to the media. It has been reported that caused a huge rift in the locker room after it came out. Being that it was handled through the media not man to man inside the locker room.

Kyben36
05-03-2014, 12:53 AM
the guy is a good player, but very over rated, i think you explore it but its my belief that you always explore trades to value your trade options and players value around the league..

slashsnake
05-03-2014, 02:06 AM
If you have seen him on the bench being the biggest cheer leader he clearly has not quit on the team. Just more to the fact that the Hawks are a horrible match-up for him. I am not concerned as a Pacer fan in the least in his playoffs performance. But rather want to know what happened to the first half of the season Hibbert versus 2nd half. He was dominate in the first half of the season and it went down hill fast after the ASG.

As far as trading him? Not a chance in hell. They will rise or fall with what Hibbert can provide for them especially on the defensive end.

No way a team will give up that for him right now, he wouldn't get that as a free agent, much less for a team to give up parts to get that contract. And I've seen bad matchups, but nothing like his disappearance there.. A bottom 10-12 NBA team without their best big man doesn't scream out awful matchup. Kyle Korver nearly doubling his rebounding total...

I agree with hoosiercubsfan. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he had untreated diabetes, sickle cell, something wrong with him that they find out in the off-season, because otherwise this is just way out there as something we've never really seen.

Vinny642
05-03-2014, 02:11 AM
Hibbert for Gordon

MrfadeawayJB
05-03-2014, 08:32 AM
I remember last season people were saying he's a top 5 center better than cousins and Gasol lol

HouRealCoach
05-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Trade bargs for him and their 1st rounder... Get it done Phil!!! ;)

& I will never like Phil Jackson again... I don't want this piece of trash in NY

NYJ - NYY
05-03-2014, 09:47 AM
& I will never like Phil Jackson again... I don't want this piece of trash in NY

As a back up to chandler... Let him battle it out with Aldrich and Tyler and we get a first rounder lol