PDA

View Full Version : Pacers fans should be embarassed / Rockets fans reppin strong

KnicksorBust
05-02-2014, 09:11 AM
So every time I go on the following website:

http://espn.go.com/nba/schedule

I get frustrated. Usually it is because if I want to go see a Knicks game I have to drop $120 per ticket to see them play another terrible team meanwhile a good team will typically have tickets as low as $6-$7 dollars. Sometimes even lower. Just looking over the page this morning I couldn't believe to see that a GAME 7 @ Indiana had the following tagline:

2,522 available from $33

I'm sorry but I shelled out a ton of a cash a few years ago to get nose bleeds seats in Boston to watch game 7 of Boston-Chicago (1st round series) and I hate both those teams. People who live in Indiana won't play 35 bucks to sell out the arena?

Houston Rockets meanwhile:

78 available from $320

Now that's a fan base.

2-ONE-5
05-02-2014, 09:55 AM
probably stub hub tix.

IndyRealist
05-02-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm from Indiana and work in Houston. Houston has oil, shipping, medical, and aerospace money. Indiana has corn. Houston is the 3rd largest US city metro area, passing Chicago during the recession. Indiana is around 13th and still in the recession. Given limited disposable income, Hoosiers tend to choose to go to one or two Colts games a year rather than a half dozen Pacers games. Many of the "fans" going to Rockets games couldn't name more than 4 players on the team (me being the guy who corrects people constantly). They are going to games because it's the place to be, and they have the disposable income to see the Rockets, Texans, and Astros multiple times every year.

And given the epic collapse the Pacers have been going through in the last 3 months, a lot of Hoosiers would rather save their money than buy playoff tickets for what they likely think will be a loss. If the Pacers were rolling, they arena would be sold out easily. But they've looked like they were going to get bounced in the first round, so people didn't buy tickets.

ombada
05-02-2014, 01:31 PM
It will still be sold out, the game isnt til tomorrow and theres only 2,000+ seats left.

ManRam
05-02-2014, 01:44 PM
probably stub hub tix.

They are. But it's still a GREAT sign of demand.

lol, please
05-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Dubs fans are more passionate than both.

KnicksorBust
05-03-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm from Indiana and work in Houston. Houston has oil, shipping, medical, and aerospace money. Indiana has corn. Houston is the 3rd largest US city metro area, passing Chicago during the recession. Indiana is around 13th and still in the recession. Given limited disposable income, Hoosiers tend to choose to go to one or two Colts games a year rather than a half dozen Pacers games. Many of the "fans" going to Rockets games couldn't name more than 4 players on the team (me being the guy who corrects people constantly). They are going to games because it's the place to be, and they have the disposable income to see the Rockets, Texans, and Astros multiple times every year.

And given the epic collapse the Pacers have been going through in the last 3 months, a lot of Hoosiers would rather save their money than buy playoff tickets for what they likely think will be a loss. If the Pacers were rolling, they arena would be sold out easily. But they've looked like they were going to get bounced in the first round, so people didn't buy tickets.

"If they were rolling..." :laugh: They were the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference. That's not enough for you? And they are moving on to the 2nd round.

IndyRealist
05-03-2014, 08:16 PM
"If they were rolling..." :laugh: They were the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference. That's not enough for you? And they are moving on to the 2nd round.

Did you not watch the 2nd half of the season? The Pacers limped into the playoffs, and I read somewhere that they had the worst record in the league from March. You may have the kind of money to go to games even when you hate both teams, but Hoosiers don't have the disposable income to gobble up inflated ticket prices when they can watch the game at home. It doesn't make them less of fans, it means their economic reality is vastly different than yours.

KnicksorBust
05-03-2014, 10:21 PM

Did you not watch the 2nd half of the season? The Pacers limped into the playoffs, and I read somewhere that they had the worst record in the league from March. You may have the kind of money to go to games even when you hate both teams, but Hoosiers don't have the disposable income to gobble up inflated ticket prices when they can watch the game at home. It doesn't make them less of fans, it means their economic reality is vastly different than yours.

You are not really claiming financial hardship for a $30 ticket to a Game 7 are you?

slashsnake
05-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Pacers have had issues with selling tickets for a while. This year they were 12th in % of sold out seats, last year 20th. It's better but they aren't a huge draw in their town for whatever reason

lincecum=future
05-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Warriors and Raptors by far had the highest ticket prices on the secondary markets. But yeah don't understand why they can't fill the house on a game 7

jerellh528
05-03-2014, 10:53 PM
I think it has to do with Houston's owner lol
http://i.imgur.com/rhu6iBi.jpg

NBA_Starter
05-03-2014, 10:55 PM
I'd do anything for the Hornets to have a Game 7 in any round.:confused:

JC_
05-03-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't think anyone wanted to watch the Pacers first round series.

houstonfan
05-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Um I love the Rockets and the city of Houston but our fan base is awful. Arena is always half empty until the second quarter. Then it fills up.

cardinals1226
05-04-2014, 05:32 AM
You are not really claiming financial hardship for a $30 ticket to a Game 7 are you?

And how many people go to games by themselves? Most are families so that's another $60-$120. A drink is about $8. Popcorn or a hotdog is about $5. So for four people that's another $52 plus tax for a hotdog and drinks, plus $120 for tickets.

Are you trying to tell me that $200 bucks is not financial hardship for families that don't have the money to drop for a basketball game they may not have very much interest in? As stated above, you may have the ability to spend that kind of money, but not everyone does. Besides, the game sold out anyway so your point is moot.

Miltstar
05-04-2014, 10:57 AM
You gotta also remember that Houston/Portland match up is epic for a first round series, where as if you're looking for a team with a worse fan base than the Pacers, you probably found it in Atlanta, honestly if you asked other teams fans who Indiana was playing I'd say a good 50% of em wouldn't have a clue

IndyRealist
05-04-2014, 04:35 PM

Indiana is still struggling. Industries closed and left the state. Unemployment is still high. Wages are down, cost of living is up. Most people I know in Indiana are working 2 or more jobs and live paycheck to paycheck.

And it's not single ticket sales that fill up arenas, it's couples and families of 4. You can't even buy single tickets on most aftermarket sites. $120 for tickets is a LOT for one night out in Indiana. Your financial reality is not the same as everyone's reality.

hoosiercubsfan
05-04-2014, 07:42 PM

It goes so much deeper than simply the cost of the ticket. There was great disgust in this city for much of the final half of the season for the Pacers. For many of the games they gave very little effort. This town was rocking in the first half of the season but lost interest when the team lost interest in playing well. That had a direct result on playoff ticket sales as a whole. With many choosing to not spend the money thinking that they would just get bounced in the first round. Even now you still have no idea which team is going to take the floor. Indiana is a basketball state top to bottom and you simply cannot give a half *** performance and expect to be supported. That is why they booed the team a few times in the first round but turned around and cheered their ***** off when the team started actually playing.

Ill21
05-04-2014, 08:06 PM
You gotta also remember that Houston/Portland match up is epic for a first round series, where as if you're looking for a team with a worse fan base than the Pacers, you probably found it in Atlanta, honestly if you asked other teams fans who Indiana was playing I'd say a good 50% of em wouldn't have a clue

its the playoffs.

Thats a terrible excuse

PacersForLife
05-05-2014, 12:30 AM
From what I could tell we had a pretty good crowd in every game of the first round, especially game 7...

conway429
05-05-2014, 01:33 AM
Indiana is still struggling. Industries closed and left the state. Unemployment is still high. Wages are down, cost of living is up. Most people I know in Indiana are working 2 or more jobs and live paycheck to paycheck.

And it's not single ticket sales that fill up arenas, it's couples and families of 4. You can't even buy single tickets on most aftermarket sites. $120 for tickets is a LOT for one night out in Indiana. Your financial reality is not the same as everyone's reality.

You make it sound like they've been struggling to have anyone show up for games all season, which as far as I know isn't the case. So I don't think it's about the 'financial reality'.
I think the point he's trying to make is that Indianaonians aren't as hyped for their team in the playoffs as they should be. Whether that be because of the boring match-up or the poor late season performance of the team, or both, who knows. But I don't think its because of a sudden economic crisis in Indiana.

hoosiercubsfan
05-05-2014, 07:46 AM
You make it sound like they've been struggling to have anyone show up for games all season, which as far as I know isn't the case. So I don't think it's about the 'financial reality'.
I think the point he's trying to make is that Indianaonians aren't as hyped for their team in the playoffs as they should be. Whether that be because of the boring match-up or the poor late season performance of the team, or both, who knows. But I don't think its because of a sudden economic crisis in Indiana.

I think it is much more this than anything. Why would anyone be hyped upto watch a team that was absolutely terrible in the second half? Sure they are the number one seed though that is almost by default due to Miami being almost as equally bad during that same time frame. Difference is Miami had proven that they could flip the switch come playoff time while who knew what Pacers team was going to show up. Hell even now you still don't know which Pacer team is going to take the floor vs the Wizards. Indiana is a basketball state and you can't go out and give half *** performances and expect them to still want to come watch the games.

IndyRealist
05-05-2014, 08:45 AM

TV viewership is setting record highs, so people care. Games did sell out, but just barely (a few hours before tip) and almost exclusively on weekends when the majority of people are off work. You would be hard pressed to sell out a weeknight game, playoffs or not. Indy doesn't have that kind of money or population.