PDA

View Full Version : Mark Jackson asked Jerry West not to attend most Warriors practices and team events

P&GRealist
05-01-2014, 11:04 PM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-silver-hammer-the-banning-of-donald-sterling-and-unrest-in-these-playoffs/

Jackson made a show of firing Scalabrine in front of players and other coaches, but he had no real grounds, and the front office made Jackson find a compromise, per a source familiar with the matter: demoting Scalabrine to the D-League. In addition, Jackson has asked that Jerry West, a high-level adviser in Golden State, not attend most practices and team activities, sources say.

I think Jackson denied it, but if true, that's pretty disrespectful to the Logo.

Don't think the Logo is really wanted much in GSW. He should think about going back to his roots.

Stunner
05-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Jackson getting fired

cmellofan15
05-01-2014, 11:21 PM
aside from the players, I don't think people really like Mark Jackson too much...

Stunner
05-01-2014, 11:26 PM
Right reports are that Scal was isolating himself from the team is the reason he got fired . I don't believe it , he's a well liked person in the league and that sounds out of his character . Mark just seems like a douche now ever since he gotten that coaching job .

Tony_Starks
05-02-2014, 02:47 AM
Lies.

USMCLaker
05-02-2014, 02:56 AM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-silver-hammer-the-banning-of-donald-sterling-and-unrest-in-these-playoffs/

I think Jackson denied it, but if true, that's pretty disrespectful to the Logo.

Don't think the Logo is really wanted much in GSW. He should think about going back to his roots.

Yes come on home Mr West.

mngopher35
05-02-2014, 03:26 AM
Not really sure what to believe on the GS situation anymore. It seems like the owner and Jackson don't like each other, is that correct? That will make it hard to tell what is truthful as these stories might be "leaked" to fuel a firing of Jackson or something.

numba1CHANGsta
05-02-2014, 03:33 AM
Magic's gonna buy the Lakers
West is going to become the GM
Phil Jackson is going to come back and become the HC

You're Welcome ;)

TrueFan420
05-02-2014, 04:14 AM

You're Welcome ;)
Yea that's not happening but you can dream

TrueFan420
05-02-2014, 04:18 AM

He is extremely wanted. Jackson strikes me as the type of person that wants all the credit and his name in the bright lights. Having west around takes from that but the owner wont dump west. He's not stupid. Jackson is most likely the one on the way out.

KnicksorBust
05-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Sounds ridiculous but we also don't know the whole story or even what the facts are at this point. The idea of firing him sounds even more ridiculous to me considering the success he is having with the team.

asandhu23
05-02-2014, 09:47 AM
This is just a rumor.

BoSox47
05-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Marc Jacksons Racist.

FYL_McVeezy
05-02-2014, 09:57 AM

You're Welcome ;)

How did u feel when you finally woke up this morning?

JasonJohnHorn
05-02-2014, 01:02 PM
I don't think there is enough context here to make a judgement.

I know coaches have asked for execs not to be present during practice because they can undermine the coaches authority and that makes their job tougher. If the players are listening the the coach, and then an exec comes down and suggests something else instead of a certain play or contradicts the coach, then there can be some issues. Players don't know who to listen to: the coach or the exec. If the exec can fire the coach, or if the coach goes back on what he says and does what the exec says, he looks weak.

Mixing execs and coaches at practice is a BAD idea unless the exec can keep his mouth shut.

West is a stand up guy, but I don't know what he's like in such situations. I know from reading his book, he didn't like to watch games much because there was nothing he could do in a game. He'd already gotten the pieces together.

As for the Scalibrine thing, I'm not sure what went down. When you are playing sports, things can get very emotional. Dramatic confrontations are common. If Scal was hired by the team and not brought in by Jackson, and he's openly challenging Jackson, then it makes sense to remove him because it can dilute the head coach's ability to do his job. This is why Frank got bumped in Brooklyn. Nobody took issue with that.

There is also a question as to how Jackson made the requests. Did Jackson speak to West personally and ask him politely not to attend most practices? Was there an issue and Jackson pulled him aside and spoke about it privately?

Need more details to make a call.

Bottom line right now is that Jackson is winning with this team. The Warriors have not won this many games over the span of two seasons in DECADES! Last time was 91/92 when they won 44 and 55 games respectively. And they haven't gotten further than Jackson took them last year since 1976 when they lost in the conference finals.

COOLbeans
05-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Jackson vehemently denied this report and it's obvious Jackson's tenure as coach is under attack by inside 'unnamed' sources.

Don't believe this crap, Jackson's been great for the Warriors organization

COOLbeans
05-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Marc Jacksons Racist.

and he also has cooties

Chronz
05-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Funny how this keeps happening to West. First with the Lakers now here with GS

Nick O
05-02-2014, 01:25 PM
mark jackson comes off to me as someone who googles themselves on a regular basis

P&GRealist
05-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Funny how this keeps happening to West. First with the Lakers now here with GS

Phil and West both had ego issues.

Now that Phil is no longer in La, would love to see the Logo back with us.

lol, please
05-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Jackson vehemently denied this report and it's obvious Jackson's tenure as coach is under attack by inside 'unnamed' sources.

Don't believe this crap, Jackson's been great for the Warriors organization

Well said. Non story imo, though fans of other teams will eat it up. :yawn:

Goose17
05-02-2014, 02:04 PM
People believe everything that they read these days.

mekedubs
05-02-2014, 02:11 PM
I agree 100%USMCLaker... He should have never left in the first place...

Bruno
05-02-2014, 02:16 PM
i read this a few weeks back. lets just say Jackson is drama prone and that West has a history of not getting along with his head coaches. they're probably both to blame but Jackson is a diva.

JasonJohnHorn
05-02-2014, 02:35 PM
mark jackson comes off to me as someone who googles themselves on a regular basis

I just googled myself after reading that :-)

PatsSoxKnicks
05-02-2014, 03:05 PM
Sounds ridiculous but we also don't know the whole story or even what the facts are at this point. The idea of firing him sounds even more ridiculous to me considering the success he is having with the team.

All good/successful teams don't necessarily have good coaches. Likewise, you can be a bad coach coaching a good team. Just look at the talent Golden State has. Not sure that Jackson has had any success that shouldn't be expected considering the talent level in Golden State. It's the same thing with Scott Brooks and Kevin McHale- both are fortunate enough to coach talented teams but it doesn't mean they are good coaches.

If Golden State had an actual good coach in mind, then I think they should upgrade. A great coach isn't worth that much in the league unless you're a Popovich or Thibs (maybe even Carslile- sp?) but it's certainly worth upgrading if you can add a few wins.

Goose17
05-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Interesting...

"I know there are people that want to speed up the (growth) process," Jackson said, his words certainly appearing to be aimed at the team's ownership and management. "(But) this is who we are. Part of the process is going through things, learning how to be consistent. I'm proud of my guys. It's been an incredible, incredible ride.

"Now against a three‑seed with two of the top 10 players in the world and a future Hall of Fame coach (in Doc Rivers), we are going to Game 7 in spite of all the sideline music. And I like my chances, because I've got a group of guys that want to do whatever it takes to win."

"The way that this team conducts itself, in spite of everything that we've gone through, all the lies, all the adversity, all the sources, I could not be prouder, because what we are doing collectively speaks against it," Jackson said. "Somebody's lying."

"You get the feel that no matter what happens, our coach won't be our coach next year," Warriors center Jermaine O'Neal said after the win. "You just get that feel. But we are willing to give all we've got for this group, for that coach, and hopefully whatever that will and whatever we've given is good enough to take us as far as we should go."

"Winning is hard, and hopefully everybody that supports this organization, that runs this organization, understands just how hard it is to win," he continued. "And if you get a group that's a good group that loves each other, that fights for each other, and can get a head coach (where) you see Jarrett Jack speaking about now from another situation, don't take that for granted because 51 wins can go to 31.

"You know, chemistry is everything, and we'll just keep fighting and find a way."

Goose17
05-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Warriors don't need this, hope the players/Jackson aren't distracted by this crap in game 7.

numba1CHANGsta
05-02-2014, 03:42 PM
How did u feel when you finally woke up this morning?

With a boner :)

J4KOP99
05-02-2014, 05:09 PM
I love when Mark Jackson is mic'd up during games. Talk about someone who talks out of their ***. He only speaks in metaphors.

NJrockPD
05-02-2014, 05:26 PM

You're Welcome ;)

Maybe the Clippers.

COOLbeans
05-02-2014, 05:39 PM
I love when Mark Jackson is mic'd up during games. Talk about someone who talks out of their ***. He only speaks in metaphors.

The way Jackson communicates with his players is effective. Many ex players have said they would've loved to play for a coach like Jackson. He coaches them like a wise peer who's been through the things they're going through and he relates to them (during game time) with honing in on mental strategy and toughness, rather than On X's and O's. It's presumed the players should already understand that element of the game.

COOLbeans
05-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Right reports are that Scal was isolating himself from the team is the reason he got fired . I don't believe it , he's a well liked person in the league and that sounds out of his character . Mark just seems like a douche now ever since he gotten that coaching job .

I always saw Scal as a nice guy but as a joke and a cult (end of the bench) favorite in Boston. Nothing more, nothing less. Mark Jackson is a highly respected and a truly well-liked pro in the NBA. If you want to judge off NBA merit, then Scalabrine is the one you should be judging, not Mark Jackson.