PDA

View Full Version : Should Paul George be suspended for game 7?

Big Zo
05-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Thoughts?

goingfor28
05-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Yes. Amare got suspended for a playoff game vs the Spurs before for the same thing if I'm not mistaken

DillyDill
05-01-2014, 11:06 PM
I'm lost what he do?

Big Zo
05-01-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm lost what he do?
Stepped onto the court during an altercation.

Duncan = Donkey
05-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Yes, Diaw and Amare were suspended so George should be as well.

Wade n Fade
05-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Yes, the rules are very clear. Anything less is an aberration. Have to be impartial too.

GiantsSwaGG
05-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Definitely should be suspended

DillyDill
05-01-2014, 11:11 PM

During what altercation I didn't see the whole gm. Is their a vid up?

Stunner
05-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Yup

Cracka2HI!
05-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Definitely should be suspended

That woman's face needs a bra.

flea
05-01-2014, 11:15 PM
He won't be, that series was rigged against the Suns (and I was rooting for the Spurs).

mdm692
05-01-2014, 11:18 PM
He won't be, that series was rigged against the Suns (and I was rooting for the Spurs).

That entire half a decade was rigged against the Suns thanks to Sarver :(.

Big Zo
05-01-2014, 11:20 PM
During what altercation I didn't see the whole gm. Is their a vid up?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0kDiiPRXA5A

cmellofan15
05-01-2014, 11:25 PM
after watching the video I'd say yes. If I remember correctly, didn't Bruce Bowen bust Steve Nash's nose on that play?

DillyDill
05-01-2014, 11:27 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0kDiiPRXA5A
Oh thanks this is going to be tricky, it could possibly cost Indy the series

Ezio
05-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Did any team call a time out? I know during the Nene/Butler incident, apparently the Bulls called a timeout and so Gortat was allowed to leave the bench

ModernDaySavage
05-01-2014, 11:41 PM
I doubt they suspend him.

NYKNYGNYY
05-01-2014, 11:43 PM
I doubt he will be it's game 7.... I don't think he should but the rule book says yes so technically he should be

CubbieColts
05-01-2014, 11:44 PM
I don't see them suspending him actually, the wording of the rule is "vicinity" of their respective bench. You have to look at the whole play and with it happening right in front of the Pacers bench, the team had just secured a rebound to push up the floor for the final 19 seconds of the half so players were already standing up there anyway. Although NOTHING will surprise me in what the NBA does, I would say they don't suspend him. If you are for a suspension for something like this, you are a complete moron too by the way.....

SlimKid
05-02-2014, 12:21 AM
I don't see them suspending him actually, the wording of the rule is "vicinity" of their respective bench. You have to look at the whole play and with it happening right in front of the Pacers bench, the team had just secured a rebound to push up the floor for the final 19 seconds of the half so players were already standing up there anyway. Although NOTHING will surprise me in what the NBA does, I would say they don't suspend him. If you are for a suspension for something like this, you are a complete moron too by the way.....

No one is saying he should be suspended. The way suspensions have been doled out in the past, he should be if there is to be any sense of consistency.

CubbieColts
05-02-2014, 12:25 AM
wasn't referring to anyone here, but allover social media there are armchair referees that are saying he should absolutely be suspended for it... that is absolute garbage! I can't recall another instance like this one that happened in the manner that it did right there in front of the bench like it did. The Amare situation was different than this too.

JC_
05-02-2014, 12:29 AM
I hope he doesn't get suspended. That was ******** when Amare got suspended back in the day and it would be ******** if PG gets suspended.

Kushed
05-02-2014, 12:37 AM
He definitely should if there is any consistency to the rule. It's game 7 though and the league stands to make more money with a Pacers win. It isn't rigged but if they suspend George they hurt their chances. I'd love to see Silver show he means business with whatever player and whatever situation it is.

tmacsc2
05-02-2014, 12:41 AM
Hell no, what did he put 1 or 2 feet in before being backed down? non issue here

JordansBulls
05-02-2014, 12:43 AM
He won't get suspended for that. He took two steps on the court. Had he stepped on with a clear indication of doing something he would get suspended for that for sure.

This was a bit different, Amare clearly hopped off the bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3LjDlMd12g

lajoie
05-02-2014, 12:50 AM
"During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $50,000."

I dont think this is anywhere close to the same as the Amare situation. George was still in the bench area. Amare and Diaw left the bench by a good 25 ft.

Chi StateOfMind
05-02-2014, 01:00 AM
Omg what two steps c'mon seriously. This is a non issue and probably won't even be talked about. I could see if he was looking to retaliate or something. Next.....

*Superman*
05-02-2014, 01:26 AM
That would be hilarious.

Also, Mike Scott is my new favorite player.

Kyben36
05-02-2014, 01:59 AM
Im going to be honest here, Probably Not.

there is a difference IMO between that 1 step on the floor (PG) and what Stat and Hill did, which is run over to the actual altercation. according to the rules should he be, sure, however, i have seen many times during celebration where players have technically entered the court while jumping and woowing on the sideline. I think the difference is He does not have any effect on the altercation and is stopped.

Also, i think that the last time the nba did this they really hurt themselves, doubt we see it again. would anyone watch that game 7 if they pull George

could it happen, sure, should it happen, probably not. the rule is stupid and the only way it should be put into effect is if the player actually has some sort of action in the play, by taking 2 steps forward i do not think that anything should happen.

Kyben36
05-02-2014, 02:00 AM
"During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $50,000."

I dont think this is anywhere close to the same as the Amare situation. George was still in the bench area. Amare and Diaw left the bench by a good 25 ft.

amare and Hill also entered into the altercation or tried to. just my opinion. i still think the rule is stupid.

*Superman*
05-02-2014, 02:04 AM
Im going to be honest here, Probably Not.

there is a difference IMO between that 1 step on the floor (PG) and what Stat and Hill did, which is run over to the actual altercation. according to the rules should he be, sure, however, i have seen many times during celebration where players have technically entered the court while jumping and woowing on the sideline. I think the difference is He does not have any effect on the altercation and is stopped.

Also, i think that the last time the nba did this they really hurt themselves, doubt we see it again. would anyone watch that game 7 if they pull George

could it happen, sure, should it happen, probably not. the rule is stupid and the only way it should be put into effect is if the player actually has some sort of action in the play, by taking 2 steps forward i do not think that anything should happen.

Yup. Also they're lucky the coaches held him back from getting any closer. Should be a non-issue.

Gibby
05-02-2014, 02:33 AM
I would love to see the hawks wins but you can't suspend him for that. He was like 1 feet from the line.

Gibby
05-02-2014, 02:35 AM
can't they suspend hibbert for lols. It might help the pacers.

mngopher35
05-02-2014, 03:21 AM
I get what people are saying about the suns series and staying consistent etc.

I however thought it was a horrible idea then and still would be now. No he should not be suspended for this.

mngopher35
05-02-2014, 03:22 AM
can't they suspend hibbert for lols. It might help the pacers.

No way the Hawks would let that happen haha

ombada
05-02-2014, 03:35 AM
by the rule he was still in the vicinity of the bench, so no.

ManRam
05-02-2014, 09:25 AM
I vote "no". Not necessarily because of the importance of keeping it consistent. Also, as per that Amare/Diaw thing...those two CHARGED onto the court and were restrained seconds later. Like, he had to be YANKED back. He made it much further off the bench too. No same thing for PG. This doesn't compare to that. This looks like PG stepped out, quickly gathered himself, and just stayed there. The rules also don't say "onto the court"...it says:

"During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $50,000. The suspension will commence prior to the start of their next game."

That gives them some wiggle room. I think it would be silly to suspend him in Game 7 for taking one step or two onto the court.

king4day
05-02-2014, 09:40 AM
One step on the floor is all it takes. Doesn't matter how far away from the action he was or his intent. He'll be suspended

2-ONE-5
05-02-2014, 09:50 AM
no he shouldnt. this is something Stern took way too serious and hopefully Silver is different when it comes to things like this bcuz there is no need to get technical about a foot barely stepping over the line.

lajoie
05-02-2014, 10:09 AM
One step on the floor is all it takes. Doesn't matter how far away from the action he was or his intent. He'll be suspended

The rule is not whether you step on the court. The rule is whether you leave the "bench area".

therealwd27
05-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Damn that's tricky. Same thing Amare did and Diaw so idk

I always always under the impression when you leave the bench it's a suspension

king4day
05-02-2014, 10:19 AM
The rule is not whether you step on the court. The rule is whether you leave the "bench area".

He did. He two an aggressive step towards the altercation and it took a coach holding him back to keep him from going further.
From what I recall, Diaw was the same thing. He took a couple steps and was suspended.
Jalen Rose, years ago, was on the opposite end of the court and did the same thing but was suspended.

George's only hope is that Silver handles this differently than Stern.

ManRam
05-02-2014, 10:37 AM
I don't see how people think it's the same exact thing as Amare did. Similar? Sure. But it was far less distance away from the bench, far fewer steps and he took far less restraint. It was an instantaneous reflex, and the second he could he snapped out of it. It's not like he needed 5 guys to hold him back...not even close.

Says who?

George's only hope is that Silver handles this differently than Stern.

The classic misconception. Silver/Stern don't handle these suspensions. Stu Jackson was the guy then...it's Rod Thorn now. So there is still a change in guard, however.

lamzoka
05-02-2014, 11:02 AM

The suns was gon win it all that year. if it wasn't for that semi fight. But if I remembered correctly Amare started running toward the altercation then he caught himself back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LT_C7o5ZGM

Here is that altercation 00:52

NYKnickFanatic
05-02-2014, 11:13 AM
By league rules, he definitely should be suspended. It doesn't matter if only your pinky toe stepped onto the court, rules are rules.

A stupid rule, but a rule nonetheless.

Will he be suspended? Of course not.

NYKnickFanatic
05-02-2014, 11:15 AM
NBA is way to hypocritical to suspend Paul George for leaving the bench..

NYKnickFanatic
05-02-2014, 11:18 AM
How much you want to bet that they suspend Butler and not George? :laugh2:

According to NBA rules: “During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $50,000.”

George could definitely be described as being in the “immediate vicinity” of the Pacers’ bench, but we’ve seen the NBA follow the letter of the law before.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2871615

NYKnickFanatic
05-02-2014, 11:20 AM

Here we go.

hoosiercubsfan
05-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Here we go.

If either are suspended look for several Hawks to be also. 3 or 4 of them left their bench also during the play not just Pacer players. And I think that point has been completely missed in all of this.

NYKnickFanatic
05-02-2014, 11:40 AM
If either are suspended look for several Hawks to be also. 3 or 4 of them left their bench also during the play not just Pacer players. And I think that point has been completely missed in all of this.

Well, the only replay I have seen is the one showing the Pacers bench. If Hawks players stepped onto the court, they should be suspended as well. But I bet Paul George won't be suspended, even though he did step onto the court.

hoosiercubsfan
05-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Well, the only replay I have seen is the one showing the Pacers bench. If Hawks players stepped onto the court, they should be suspended as well. But I bet Paul George won't be suspended, even though he did step onto the court.

Personally I don't think any of them will be. If it was still being run by Stern they all would have been already. Though now we are under a new commish and he may simply just interpret the rule differently.

As far as the replays I have to imagine that they will have all of the different angles not just what was shown on TV. Also trying to find what the lineup on the floor was for the Hawks at the time of the incident to see who was supposed to be there.

ManRam
05-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Stu isn't in charge any more, but he's the guy who handed out the Amare situation, so his word obviously carries a lot of weight.

I really don't think George will be suspended, and it would be a shame if he were (for a variety of reasons...one being a dumb rule, another being circumstances, and so on).

And again, it's not a "step onto the court" rule. It's a "leave the vicinity of the bench" rule. So it's both more vague and less restrictive. He stepped onto the court, but it certainly could be argued, easily, that he didn't "leave the vicinity of the bench". Lot's of misunderstanding in this thread.

Bklyn24
05-02-2014, 12:10 PM
stupid rule but I don't think he will get suspended mainly because its game 7. If it were game 2 or 3 I think he would be suspended.

MassoDio
05-02-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't think he should be.

I am from Phoenix and I remember the Amar'e/Diaw incident. They shouldn't have been suspended either.

The rule was put in place because of a Phoenix Suns/New York Knicks fight in the 90's where Greg Anthony came off the bench and punched Kevin Johnson in the face. The intention of the rule is to keep that from happening.

Suspending guys for putting a foot on the court is going against the spirit of the rule. So no, I don't believe he should be suspended, based on what the rule is meant for.

And I think there is a chance that he is not suspended. Adam Silver is now the commissioner, not David Stern, who I think suspended Amar'e and Diaw out of pure stubbornness. Most people in the media, owners, fans, etc. didn't think that those two should be suspended because of the spirit of the rule, but he had to prove he was in charge...once again.

So hopefully, Silver doesn't have the same need to display his nuts for everyone.

Bob_at_york
05-02-2014, 12:16 PM
When I saw the replay this morning, I thought YES but now that I see that the rule says "vicinity". I can see no one getting suspended.

koreancabbage
05-02-2014, 12:18 PM
imo, thats a dumb rule if you're not involved in the fight. but it does keep things in order and getting out of hand because a motion towards the altercation can instigate many other perceptions in taking action towards a move, like PG.

and he clearly did make a way towards the action and stepped onto the court before being stopped by coaches. There is no doubt about it.

koreancabbage
05-02-2014, 12:19 PM
When I saw the replay this morning, I thought YES but now that I see that the rule says "vicinity". I can see no one getting suspended.

LOL as much as I want the Hawks to win, can't have game 7 without star players that weren't involved in any altercation. If he was, then too bad.

More-Than-Most
05-02-2014, 12:37 PM

Stepping on the court is leaving the bench area.

He left the bench area with intent to go towards the play. Should they suspend him for this? Yes... Its silly but rules are rules... That being said this isnt under stern anymore so I dont expect the same over abuse of rules to be followed. I am fine if they choose not to suspend him.

smood999
05-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Patrick Ewing was also a victim of this rule...Alan Houston, Patrick Ewing, Larry Johnson and John Starks during the playoffs. It's a dumb rule, but it is what it is...

Chrisclover
05-02-2014, 01:30 PM

I think it is hard for players to keep their composure when their teammates are arguing for their rights. The league's brass wants NBA to be a more civil place, where players wear suits, sit down, keep calm when on court, and be nice guys off the court,which are to promote the NBA to a higher level. I understand these moves are for the sake of the business but sometimes players are just human like us, the ordinary people, who can not hide emotions sometimes. It would be a pity to see Paul George get suspended in a crucial G7.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Yes.

P&GRealist
05-02-2014, 01:39 PM
No.

And Stu Jackson already tweeted that although George got off the bench, he stayed in his own vicinity.

You can close this thread now.

ManRam
05-02-2014, 01:42 PM

Says...?

Not saying you're wrong, I just truly don't know if that's true or not.

Stu Jackson seems to think it's not.

Sadds The Gr8
05-02-2014, 01:53 PM
they better not. dont ruin the ****in series

smood999
05-02-2014, 02:14 PM
No.

And Stu Jackson already tweeted that although George got off the bench, he stayed in his own vicinity.

You can close this thread now.

Says...?

Not saying you're wrong, I just truly don't know if that's true or not.

Stu Jackson seems to think it's not.

The thing that might work against him is how close the altercation was to the bench and the fact that he did step onto the court.

Goose17
05-02-2014, 02:18 PM
The rules are the rules. If you break them, you have to live with the consequences.

cmellofan15
05-02-2014, 02:29 PM
link (http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/10871164/indiana-pacers-coach-frank-vogel-expect-discipline-scuffle-game-6)

the league's gonna review and again I think he should get suspended. he didn't have to leave the vicinity of the bench to be 6 feet away from Scott.

D-Leethal
05-02-2014, 02:37 PM
There is a new commish in town so the interpretation of the rules might change. Do they go with the spirit of the law or the letter of the law? Stern always went by the letter of the law. Silver might not.

kobe4thewinbang
05-02-2014, 02:44 PM
By the rule, yes he should be suspended. But it does not make the rule any less ridiculous. Players get suspended for fighting (Nene, DeJuan Blair) but for this in such a crucial game? Give me a break. How is it any different than the players on the court jumping in whenever a shoving match starts?

Big Zo
05-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Patrick Ewing was also a victim of this rule...Alan Houston, Patrick Ewing, Larry Johnson and John Starks during the playoffs. It's a dumb rule, but it is what it is...

I personally loved it back then. Lol

lajoie
05-02-2014, 03:08 PM

He left the bench area with intent to go towards the play. Should they suspend him for this? Yes... Its silly but rules are rules... That being said this isnt under stern anymore so I dont expect the same over abuse of rules to be followed. I am fine if they choose not to suspend him.

As someone mentioned, where does it ever say stepping on the court is leaving the bench area?

Bruno
05-02-2014, 03:20 PM
no. he didn't even walk past the three point line players can routinely been seen stepping onto the court and nobody cares.

this rule shouldn't impact playoff series, what happened in 2007 was disgraceful. in the playoffs teams should have the option to exchange the suspension for a $150,000 fine depending on the player in question.

Bruno
05-02-2014, 03:21 PM
i think the rule is major overkill. and i don't think george walked far enough onto the court, or was there long enough to merit the suspension. it should be reserved for a player who gets off the bench and engages in a fight. not for guys who stand up quickly in the head of the moment, only to be quickly restrained by their assistant coaches. this is a no brainer.

koreancabbage
05-02-2014, 03:25 PM
no. he didn't even walk past the three point line players can routinely been seen stepping onto the court and nobody cares.

this rule shouldn't impact playoff series, what happened in 2007 was disgraceful. in the playoffs teams should have the option to exchange the suspension for a $150,000 fine depending on the player in question.

its based on altercations. not just anything. you can come off the bench and cheer and even given high fives to teammates on the court after a great shot as you often saw yesterday during the Hawks game.

and motioning towards the vicinity of the altercation as well.

but then again i agree with Stu and Butler should be suspended- who cares - and PG will not - thank goodness

cmellofan15
05-02-2014, 03:25 PM
As someone mentioned, where does it ever say stepping on the court is leaving the bench area?

well I think the bench "area" should be specified, but until then I would assume it would be on the sideline away from the court. that would justify the reason of having a bench in general, to keep players off of the court.

rocky4104
05-02-2014, 03:26 PM
how do you define IMMEDIATE vicinity?

Stu Jackson's personal take on it: "During George Hill @mikescott altercation @Paul_George24 @RasualButler45 leave bench. George still in vicinity, Butler is not=1 gm susp
10:14 PM - 1 May 2014"

mjt20mik
05-02-2014, 03:30 PM
i didn't think PG deserved a suspension.. Butler clearly was a few feet infront of PG.