PDA

View Full Version : OKC media finally giving Durant heat for choking?

RulerSlick
05-01-2014, 10:47 AM
http://i.imgur.com/HGHARMu.jpg

goingfor28
05-01-2014, 10:59 AM
About time

RulerSlick
05-01-2014, 11:08 AM
yes sir lol but he's going to killed harder if they lose tonight

*Superman*
05-01-2014, 11:10 AM
ManRam would be proud.

Im_in_Mia_bish
05-01-2014, 11:45 AM
I have a feeling this won't stick tho.
If they do lose, he better get called out and criticized big time.

Teeboy1487
05-01-2014, 11:52 AM
He deserves it. He has to play better.

unleashthebeast
05-01-2014, 11:56 AM
About time. He's an MVP and wants to be considered the best player in the league. When some people consider you to be the best in the league and you don't contribute enough to your team, the media and the fans should give you hell (see LeBron). About time this guy didn't get a free pass

tredigs
05-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Not sure about this "about time" talk, but this is definitely a warranted time to bash him if he can't will them through the next two games.

LAKobeBryant
05-01-2014, 12:03 PM
i can definitely see a team coming back from down 2-3. There are currently 5 teams in that situation, okc maybe?

Htownballa1622
05-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Mr. Unreliable? Silly. He's just having a bad series and Grizz are playing him great on D. Smh

I guess if they did it to LeBron...

Still don't like it.

nickdymez
05-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Tony Allen gets no credit. Obviously OKC's gameplan is to let Russell go off because of the defense being played on Durant. Westbrook took 30 shots the other night. Put things into context

The_Jamal
05-01-2014, 12:11 PM
You don't get to have a bad series if your an MVP. Doesn't matter who the defense is, who the team is, who the player guarding you is. If OKC loses the series, he deserves a lot of the heat for the loss.

MrfadeawayJB
05-01-2014, 12:11 PM
I think brooks needs the lions share of the blame

tredigs
05-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Tony Allen gets no credit. Obviously OKC's gameplan is to let Russell go off because of the defense being played on Durant. Westbrook took 30 shots the other night. Put things into context

It's much more than Tony Allen - they're team guarding him - plus Westbrook is shooting 34% in the series on those huge volumes. But, Russ isn't the MVP, and that headline won't sell. Bottom line is that their whole team needs to find a way to step it up, starting with KD.

BALLER R
05-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Or maybe the other way to look at it is that the team isn't that great to begin with. Grizzlies defense needs to get credit here. I don't even think I've seen Durant get one open shot.

airforceones25
05-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Wait the media's darling finally getting called out? This should be good if they lose.

meloman1592
05-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Finnnnaaaalllllyyyyyyyy

Avenged
05-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Has to lose the series first.

Bruno
05-01-2014, 12:37 PM
crazy how advanced lines drop off the face of the earth when a players efficiency plummets. Durant is putting up 28-10-4-2-1 but his advanced line is garbage.

Bruno
05-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Has to lose the series first.

x2

ewing
05-01-2014, 12:41 PM
you guys actually rooted for this crap. Hey Durrant hasn't had a great series, i can't wait for some putz to over simplify the game, hold him to absurd standards, and write a bunch of contrarian crap.

Chronz
05-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Finally? Local media should never be bashing their players IMO, its the National media that people expect to hear some kind of critique from, but a small market like OKC should always just be grateful to have a KD. Are they serious with this?

nickdymez
05-01-2014, 12:52 PM
It's much more than Tony Allen - they're team guarding him - plus Westbrook is shooting 34% in the series on those huge volumes. But, Russ isn't the MVP, and that headline won't sell. Bottom line is that their whole team needs to find a way to step it up, starting with KD.

Agreed. I just think we as fans dont give enogh credit to defenses that come together and play great. The Grizzlys are doing that. Brooks needs to find a way to get other players involved and take some pressure off KD and Russ.

P&GRealist
05-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Memphis is closing it out tonight.

Patriot Pride
05-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Finally? Local media should never be bashing their players IMO, its the National media that people expect to hear some kind of critique from, but a small market like OKC should always just be grateful to have a KD. Are they serious with this?

Agreed.

It's like a logging/oil company giving the EPA good press.

P&GRealist
05-01-2014, 12:54 PM

Just the first domino of many falling when KD bolts to LA 2 yrs from now. Players remember this, Shaq still remembers when Orlando Magic fans were polled as to who they would prefer, and they picked coach Brian Hill over him.

jerellh528
05-01-2014, 12:56 PM
I find it funny that the leBoners hate "kobephiles" for doing the exact same thing they're trying to do to durant, although Durant's bashing is less warranted at the moment. It's only the leBoners that are in these threads wishing with all their might that durant continues to fail lol. Psd justice in order haha.

ManRam
05-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Not sure "it's about time". It's certainly not. I think it's silly for the local media to get on him.

I don't like when the world gets on guys every time they're less than perfect. I certainly don't think Durant deserves the mass amounts of heat that others before him have got. I rarely/if ever thought it was ever deserved for those guys either. We just like narratives, overreacting and having strong opinions. When a star player doesn't play his best, people love stirring things up.

But I am certainly not mad that he's starting to see some of the same stuff those before him have. Hell...even if it's not "fair".

Yanks All Day
05-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Kevin Durant did say he was tired of finishing second to LeBron. So maybe he wants to win the MVP and have a first round exit instead of losing in the Finals to the Heat? That way, he can have his award and not have to hear about coming in second! That's gotta be it, right?

And remember, this "heat" isn't even 1/4 of what LeBron got. If the Thunder lose in the 1st round, it'll be forgotten by the time next season starts. If LeBron ever lost a first round matchup, the media would say he'll never be in the top 10 players ever, his wife will leave him, and his image will be dragged through the mud because he'd be an awful person.

ewing
05-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Not sure "it's about time". It's certainly not. I think it's silly for the local media to get on him.

I don't like when the world gets on guys every time they're less than perfect. I certainly don't think Durant deserves the mass amounts of heat that others before him have got. I rarely/if ever thought it was ever deserved for those guys either. We just like narratives, overreacting and having strong opinions. When a star player doesn't play his best, people love stirring things up.

But I am certainly not mad that he's starting to see some of the same stuff those before him have. Hell...even if it's not "fair".

finally a solid post

RateSports
05-01-2014, 01:08 PM
About time. He's an MVP and wants to be considered the best player in the league. When some people consider you to be the best in the league and you don't contribute enough to your team, the media and the fans should give you hell (see LeBron). About time this guy didn't get a free pass

While I am a Lebron fan, the amount of Hell he got, I wouldn't wish on anyone else. Having said that, Durant does need to learn what its like to take some heat.

Red_Pill
05-01-2014, 01:10 PM
If they lose, Brooks gets most of the blame in my opinion. What do good coaches do to combat stifling D? You make adjustments. Instead, he's running the same ISOs.

After Brooks, I think most of the blame goes to Durant. He needs to step up and be a leader and take command. I get it, Tony Allen is fouling him every time, and not getting called out on it, but even if he can't score, he can lead. He needs to yell at Russell and tell him he needs to take SMART shots. Tell his team to move around more. He also needs to do some better off ball movement. And he needs to start posting up. He could beat Allen that way if he had it in his repertoire.

And then, finally, Russell Westbrook. This guy is being even more of an idiot in this series. With how KD is being defended, Westbrook needs to stop settling for bad shots. He needs to force Memphis to play him harder. The way he's playing, he's helping shoot OKC out of the series.

TylerSL
05-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Or maybe the other way to look at it is that the team isn't that great to begin with. Grizzlies defense needs to get credit here. I don't even think I've seen Durant get one open shot.

that OKC team is not bad, it is really really good. Ibaka, Bulter, Jackson, Collison, Sefolosha, Perkins, and Fisher is a really good supporting cast behind Durant and Westbrook, the Thunder are loaded. The reason Durant is not getting open looks is because he is jacking up shots when he gets the ball. Him and Westbrook are shooting 60+ times a game and getting nobody else involved. Late in the game when it is close the Thunder have been playing 2v5, thats why they are losing.

tredigs
05-01-2014, 01:21 PM
It is patently absurd for their local media to be writing this, that is for sure. This is something that should be left for a sensationalist National media paper (or more likely ESPN column). Especially given just how consistently reliable he has been throughout his entire career for them.

I've already seen a post where the paper has officially apologized and completely back-peddled off of the claim (mentioning that they simply meant this series and nothing else...) after they were just leveled for the headline. Whoops, be careful there OKC papers.

beyourself
05-01-2014, 01:23 PM
It is patently absurd for their local media to be writing this, that is for sure. This is something that should be left for a sensationalist National media paper (or more likely ESPN column). Especially given just how consistently reliable he has been throughout his entire career for them.

I've already seen a post where the paper has officially apologized and completely back-peddled off of the claim (mentioning that they simply meant this series and nothing else...) after they were just leveled for the headline. Whoops, be careful there OKC papers.

Agree with this. Local Media is the last place to expect criticism. I mean why, just why?

tredigs
05-01-2014, 01:28 PM
that OKC team is not bad, it is really really good. Ibaka, Bulter, Jackson, Collison, Sefolosha, Perkins, and Fisher is a really good supporting cast behind Durant and Westbrook, the Thunder are loaded. The reason Durant is not getting open looks is because he is jacking up shots when he gets the ball. Him and Westbrook are shooting 60+ times a game and getting nobody else involved. Late in the game when it is close the Thunder have been playing 2v5, thats why they are losing.
Fisher is shooting 30%, Butler 34%, Thabo 33%, Reggie Jackson 38%, Westbrook 34%. Everybody is struggling. Their team offense does suck, yes (and blame their coach for that imo), but they simply have to be able to hit their open looks and figure out to attack the rim with so much pressure on KD. If you've been watching the series, you can see that on many occasions they're trying, but late in games they have simply given up on their teammates and are just gunning it themselves (speaking of KD + Westbrook, and really mostly Westbrook as he's the one bringing it up most of the time and taking the most 4th q shots).

Ibaka is really the only one capitalizing on his open looks and showing solid/normal effort in all facets.

Credit Memphis' great D and a lack of execution from OKC.

P&GRealist
05-01-2014, 01:32 PM
As I was saying:

Arash Markazi @ArashMarkazi about 1 hour ago
When Kevin Durant inevitably leaves OKC, I'll consider "Mr. Unreliable" a turning point in their relationship.

Arash Markazi @ArashMarkazi 1 hour ago
A newspaper headline/poll ("Is Shaq worth $80 million?") was one of the final straws for Shaq before leaving Orlando for L.A.

MrfadeawayJB
05-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Memphis is closing it out tonight.

Hope your right my friend

Ezio
05-01-2014, 01:39 PM
I can't wait for JB's post about how a MVP with HCA shouldn't lose in the first round. But really OKC shouldn't push him off the edge and then they are gonna get mad when he decides to leave OKC.

Red_Pill
05-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Hope your right my friend

As a Thunder fan, I'm almost rooting for Memphis. I truly believe Brooks will be gone if they lose. Which is a win in my books.

But I still think the Thunder will take you guys to 7 :p

mngopher35
05-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Why is it "about time" for the local media? I am very surprised they would write this at all. If this were a general ESPN article or something fine, but this is kind of odd. Yes Durant is having a poor series against a very good defensive team. That should get him a little criticism but certainly not from the hometown media.

I do understand that people expect him to get criticism because the recent stars (Lebron and Kobe specifically) went through the same thing.

The series isn't over yet people, lets just sit back and enjoy the game tonight. Memphis has played great itself and it is a shame people are only blaming okc for choking instead of giving them some credit. I expect Durant to come out and have a great game tonight.

ccg34
05-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Can't wait until he bolts OKC! Clay Bennett doesn't deserve a championship. KD deserves better.

astonmartin10
05-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Memphis is playing really good defense. Give credit to them.

TylerSL
05-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Fisher is shooting 30%, Butler 34%, Thabo 33%, Reggie Jackson 38%, Westbrook 34%. Everybody is struggling. Their team offense does suck, yes (and blame their coach for that imo), but they simply have to be able to hit their open looks and figure out to attack the rim with so much pressure on KD. If you've been watching the series, you can see that on many occasions they're trying, but late in games they have simply given up on their teammates and are just gunning it themselves (speaking of KD + Westbrook, and really mostly Westbrook as he's the one bringing it up most of the time and taking the most 4th q shots).

Ibaka is really the only one capitalizing on his open looks and showing solid/normal effort in all facets.

Credit Memphis' great D and a lack of execution from OKC.

Yea I agree Brooks should get fired if they lose. He has coached terribly IMO as they have not adjusted at all to Memphis. The ball does not move very well on offense and the playcalling at the end of the game has been questionable to say the least (Durant's catch and shoot 3 pointer with 2.9 seconds left).

Chronz
05-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Just the first domino of many falling when KD bolts to LA 2 yrs from now. Players remember this, Shaq still remembers when Orlando Magic fans were polled as to who they would prefer, and they picked coach Brian Hill over him.

I remember feeling this way when Houston papers ran the choke city campaign. Then Dream ran off the most dominant 2-way stretch of basketball ever.

IKnowHoops
05-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Mr. Unreliable? Silly. He's just having a bad series and Grizz are playing him great on D. Smh

I guess if they did it to LeBron...

Still don't like it.

This.

sammyvine
05-01-2014, 02:44 PM
i think its stupid because the series isn't over

IKnowHoops
05-01-2014, 02:49 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Why would you write this about your super duper star. Many players would see that there is just no love no matter how much you do for a team, and as soon as you have one sub par performance they turn on you, so why not leave this place and do me. KD is smart enough to know this is one journalist trying to catch some notice. I don't think it will make him want to leave, but it may open his eyes a little bit and maybe make him change his stance on the myth of Loyalty in sports. May be just enough for him to really way options when he is able to leave.

FlashBolt
05-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Paul George is averaging 22,11,5 this series. Way better than he does in regular season. His team is just in a horrible funk. Roy Hibbert is a joke. David West can't seem to get anything going. Lance Stephenson is the only other productive player and he's been on and off between games. I don't see them winning tonight. Two teams are going home tonight for sure.