PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel lack of exposure is a reason for misconceptions about players?

FriedTofuz
05-01-2014, 02:57 AM
I've noticed a lot of the hate some players get or how undervalued they get because people simply do not follow the player or team.
For example

1. Kyle Lowry

People would think that LOwry was an average pg, and that Trading Shumpert was too much. I've listened to Radio Broadcast and there were actually people saying this was too much back when Lowry's name was in trade talks. I personally thought it was ideally what the knicks needed and they refused to make the righ move because of Dolans ego.

People have been following lowry a lot more while he was on NBA team in the US, but didnt see his brilliance in Toronto.

Although this be may be biased because I'm simply talking about raptor players, Demar Derozan, and the entire Raptor team is being overlooked and people simply state generic reasons for things like experience.

I'll admit I'm also guilty of having opinions which were the result of lack of exposure and knowledge to a team or player. Honestly, I see James Harden's stats, and how his D was solid back in his first Two years in OKC, and I assume he's a max player, but in reality, he isnt.

But I'm just wondering, how often would you say misconceptions about players who you do not follow well, occur?

Kaner
05-01-2014, 04:34 AM
Definitely happens but hard to point out

I think Demarcus Cousins is still looked at as a locker room problem even though its been years since there has been an issue and he seems to have melo'd out.

Tyreke Evans had a great last 2 months of the season I thought but most will probably still think he's on a bad contract and regressing

Kyrie Irving still being looked at as the next big thing? He's been getting worse every season.

Mike Conley has improved alot and is the 2nd best player on Memphis now.

Method28
05-01-2014, 04:50 AM
Definitely happens but hard to point out

I think Demarcus Cousins is still looked at as a locker room problem even though its been years since there has been an issue and he seems to have melo'd out.

Tyreke Evans had a great last 2 months of the season I thought but most will probably still think he's on a bad contract and regressing

Kyrie Irving still being looked at as the next big thing? He's been getting worse every season.

Mike Conley has improved alot and is the 2nd best player on Memphis now.

Love and hate Conley. Love his game and hate to play against him.

MrfadeawayJB
05-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Absolutely. In years passed, people viewed ZBO as a goon but since in Memphis he has been a first class citizen. As mentioned Conley is a very steady player with hardly any holes in his game, Marc and ZBO offensively make very tough shots on a consistent basis and some psd'ers say in game threads that they get lucky on them

MrfadeawayJB
05-01-2014, 10:09 AM
I've noticed a lot of the hate some players get or how undervalued they get because people simply do not follow the player or team.
For example

1. Kyle Lowry

People would think that LOwry was an average pg, and that Trading Shumpert was too much. I've listened to Radio Broadcast and there were actually people saying this was too much back when Lowry's name was in trade talks. I personally thought it was ideally what the knicks needed and they refused to make the righ move because of Dolans ego.

People have been following lowry a lot more while he was on NBA team in the US, but didnt see his brilliance in Toronto.

Although this be may be biased because I'm simply talking about raptor players, Demar Derozan, and the entire Raptor team is being overlooked and people simply state generic reasons for things like experience.

I'll admit I'm also guilty of having opinions which were the result of lack of exposure and knowledge to a team or player. Honestly, I see James Harden's stats, and how his D was solid back in his first Two years in OKC, and I assume he's a max player, but in reality, he isnt.

But I'm just wondering, how often would you say misconceptions about players who you do not follow well, occur?

I love the way the raptors play. Never got to see much of them but I hope they advance far in the east. I actually started a 2K association with them and derozan and Ross are cold

Sly Guy
05-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Yeah, but it's also the source of homerism too. You see a player on your team play 80 games a season, you see him at his 'best', and you make claims he's better than he actually is. It's one of the values I see in a forum like this, cuz I listen to the posters who are fans of other teams and their reasoning as to why they favor certain players over others. I'll be the first to admit that I can't always come up with 'top 10 lists' at every position, and it's simply that I'm not a basketball insider paid to watch every game. I don't have the time to watch every Suns' or Grizz game to evaluate players who might slip under the radar like Dragic or Conley. But whatever is said here, you gotta take it with a grain of salt, cuz homerism still abounds.

And yeah, it's totally why the raptors slip under the radar themselves. I don't think many Americans get TSN, or SportsNet to catch our telecasts, nor go out of their way to catch an online stream of our games, especially since we've been a terrible team for so long. I mean, look at the TNT analysts talking about the raptors during the regular season....It's pretty evident they were completely clueless as to what was going on up here, and I really can't blame them for that.

goingfor28
05-01-2014, 11:02 AM
All Blake griffin does is dunk