PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bryan Colangelo Ďa leading candidate to run the Detroit Pistonsí

spreadeagle
04-30-2014, 11:09 PM
After a year on hiatus multiple NBA sources have told Sportsnet that heís close to joining the fray again and is a leading candidate to run the Detroit Pistons.

As for Colangelo himself, ehhh.

He has strong front-office experience, but heís also already had a chance as a general manager and Ė even if hindsight treats his record kindly Ė didnít exactly excel. Colangelo acquired all five Raptorsí starters, but he also traded for Rudy Gay and drafted and extended Andrea Bargnani. If Masai Ujiri hadnít cleaned up those mistakes, the Raptors wouldnít be where they are now.

How much credit does Colangelo get for acquiring Terrence Ross, a Toronto starter, when Colangelo could have drafted Andre Drummond instead? How much credit does Colangelo get for signing DeMar DeRozan to if DeRozan never would have been an All-Star with Gay around?

Colangelo made some good moves, because he made a lot of moves. His record on the whole is not great.

He probably warrants a look by the Pistons in their wide search, but the onus would be heavy on Colangelo to persuade them heís not the uninspiring choice he appears to be http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/30/report-bryan-colangelo-a-leading-candidate-to-run-the-detroit-pistons/

zn23
05-01-2014, 02:02 AM
Whoever wrote that article was bang on with his assessment of Colangelo. His career can be described as average at best.

FriedTofuz
05-01-2014, 02:40 AM
I think Colangelo is a good GM. He's good at drafting, but he's shown history of trying to find quick fixes. I dont kow if ithat's always his fault, it's due to the ownership pressuring.

Other than signing bad Free agents, and overpaying people, he's a good GM.

He overpaid Turkoglu cus there was no better FA on the market to help convince bosh to stay, you can see the desperateness in his move.

he didnt draft Drummond over Ross cus Ross was a better fit of the short-term with Steve Nash potentially signing with the raptors and since they had Valancuinas.

He signed fields to foil the knicks plans, that's cus the knicks like to meddle.

But he's a damn good drafter, he finds talent everywhere, I personally think he's better than Masai at scouting talent.

His man crush on Bargnani and refusal to put his ego aside and get Bargs out of here way slowly why this franchise couldn't be competitive.

Rudy Gay trade was a desperate attempt to save his job.

FriedTofuz
05-01-2014, 02:42 AM
He won NBA executive 2X for a reason, he made the phoneix suns what they were back in his prime.

spreadeagle
05-01-2014, 02:44 AM
If I were Det id be intrigued, he makes splashy moves and Det may be in need of some of those

FriedTofuz
05-01-2014, 02:50 AM
Colangelo can probably get a decent haul for Smith, get Monroe to stay, help develop drummond more, and find some stability with the coaching as well. He'd be better than Grant Hill simply because of experience.

FriedTofuz
05-01-2014, 02:52 AM
Honestly If I was colangelo while waching the raptors..

all 5 guys in the starting lineup were players who he acquired, extended and/or drafted, and Masai just traded Bargnani for Gay, and got lucky with the Gay trade. He hasnt felt the heat of us Raptor Fans, that's the one thing that I feel bad for Colangelo haha. But I think Masai got some sweet value for the Bargnani trade, and although he got lucky, He got some pieces who can be quality bench players for this team going forward.

Gibby
05-01-2014, 03:21 AM
He is good at talent evaluation but he is stubborn on his pet projects and tried quick fixes in his time in Toronto. I think his overall resume is good enough so he deserve another chance.

I think he was a bit unlucky in Toronto. He got the no 1 pick in weak draft with no clear first overall choice. There was a lot of busts in that draft. His drafting was ok but not great.

FriedTofuz
05-01-2014, 03:29 AM
He was down to choosing between Bargnani and Roy as he said at the time, and taking roy wouldve led to more short-term success, but yeah his bad knees is why he's no longer in the NBA.

But then he lately contradicted himself and said he wanted Rudy Gay Lmfao..
I guess Gay is the best out of the 3, Rondo doesnt count because he was a sleeper from the start.
Rudy Gay + Bosh would've been decent?

Raps_93
05-01-2014, 04:23 AM
I think Colangelo is a good GM. He's good at drafting, but he's shown history of trying to find quick fixes. I dont kow if ithat's always his fault, it's due to the ownership pressuring.

Other than signing bad Free agents, and overpaying people, he's a good GM.

He overpaid Turkoglu cus there was no better FA on the market to help convince bosh to stay, you can see the desperateness in his move.

he didnt draft Drummond over Ross cus Ross was a better fit of the short-term with Steve Nash potentially signing with the raptors and since they had Valancuinas.

He signed fields to foil the knicks plans, that's cus the knicks like to meddle.

But he's a damn good drafter, he finds talent everywhere, I personally think he's better than Masai at scouting talent.

His man crush on Bargnani and refusal to put his ego aside and get Bargs out of here way slowly why this franchise couldn't be competitive.

Rudy Gay trade was a desperate attempt to save his job.

This^. Bargnani was picked in a very weak draft and at #1,which was also his first pick as the Raptors GM. Therefore you can see why he stuck with him through thick and thin. He drafts quite well, and most of the moves he made, were good moves at the time.

Turkoglu was coming off a great playoffs and i don't think many expected him to take it easy once he got that contract.I was hyped when he signed cause he could have been the #2 beside bosh. The fields move was genius, and I was excited we prevented the Knicks from getting Nash.

As for Drummond,We had just drafted Valanciunas the year before. That draft he wanted Damien Lillard.And he was taken before our pick.And everyone had concerns over Drummond at the time.

The Gay move was desperation. He needed something to keep his Job. If management let him know he was going to be let go in advance,(like Geoff Petrie )instead of staying silent, he possibly would not have done the trade.

Overall he was a solid GM. Had bad luck with his biggest moves. and that was what brought him down.

mike_noodles
05-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Yes! I'm glad he'll be back. Masai can abuse him.

MonroeFAN
05-01-2014, 09:26 AM
I was very anti-Colagelo and became very upset after reading about the rumors.

But reading some of the responses here is changing my opinion.

Sly Guy
05-01-2014, 10:49 AM
he's not bad. But under pressure for his job, he's a bit of a loose cannon. His evaluation of young talent is second to none, on draft day regardless of your draft position he'll get you the best talent available. His judgement of free agents is definitely sub-par. It's a stark contrast to his drafting. The signing of Hedu Turkoglu, for example. He goes out on an offseason, evaluates the Raptors' biggest need is at the 3. Finds the highest profile 3 he can get his hands on and throws money at him instead of looking at his tendencies as a player (ball dominant, facilitator with a solid outside shot), and see why he isn't a great fit (team already has two ball dominant facilitating point guards). To me, it seems like he's the kind of guy who knows talent when he sees it, but may not have the best picture of how to put all that talent together to make a great team.

If Detroit has it in their minds that they are gonna tear down the team and rebuild through the draft, BC is an outstanding choice. If they are going to take their core and add pieces around them in the hopes they'll be successful, then I can see problems.

Bob_at_york
05-01-2014, 11:00 AM
If I were Det id be intrigued, he makes splashy moves and Det may be in need of some of those
The pistons made the splashy moves last summer. This summer they need to make a move to fix what they did. I think BC could be good there.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-01-2014, 11:13 AM
He's solid.

Good at drafting but likes to do quick fixes when his contract is about to go up/when there's pressure. That's why he makes deals like JO and Gay deals.

canzano55
05-01-2014, 01:51 PM
He has tremendous faults but there are worse GM's in the league by far.

Jamiecballer
05-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Bahahaha suckers!! I wouldn't wish this fool on anybody. He should be
a scout but should never be a GM anywhere again.

spreadeagle
05-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Bahahaha suckers!! I wouldn't wish this fool on anybody. He should be
a scout but should never be a GM anywhere again.

If I were a bad team id give him a 3 yr run to see what he could do

kobe4thewinbang
05-01-2014, 08:28 PM
LOL, the Pistons just need to do something. They should be near the top of the east with Drummond/Munroe. I would like to see them go back to their defensive accolades in their championship year and consecutive Finals appearance.

NBA_Starter
05-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Well this would be an interesting development..

lukass
05-01-2014, 09:19 PM
LOL, the Pistons just need to do something. They should be near the top of the east with Drummond/Munroe. I would like to see them go back to their defensive accolades in their championship year and consecutive Finals appearance.

exactly!

I hope whoever we get as GM has a master plan to get rid of JSmoove

Cal827
05-01-2014, 09:21 PM
:laugh:

KniCks4LiFe
05-01-2014, 09:23 PM
they can't be serious.

JasonJohnHorn
05-01-2014, 10:55 PM
As a Raptor and Piston fan, I am NOT looking forward to seeing Coangelo fawk up the Raptors for several year and then go over to fawk up my other favorite franchise.

Not a good day in the Horn household if Coangelo signs with Detroit.

RipCity32
05-02-2014, 02:33 AM
I highly doubt it

RipCity32
05-02-2014, 02:38 AM

Monroe and Drummond= 2 steps forward
Smith and Jennings= 3 steps backwards

Cant win games with these two clowns chucking away low percentage shots all game long. And Jennings is the worst defensive player ive ever seen on a basketball court. You might survive with only one of them on your team but with both of them its suicide.

0nekhmer
05-02-2014, 03:02 AM
Yup, he pretty much drafted/signed our entire(raptors) starting 5, and they're all doing really well.

Jamiecballer
05-02-2014, 12:46 PM
If I were a bad team id give him a 3 yr run to see what he could do

i sure as hell would not. he's good at identifying talent but he's dreadful at putting it together. if you are that desperate at least give him a long term to save him from himself.

JasonJohnHorn
05-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Anybody who thinks he put this Raptors team together needs to consider two things. One, the fact that the Raptors have a decent record has more to do with the fact that they East is so good. Second, the Raptors are WORSE than they would have be because of Coangelo.

Coangelo just spent the last five years with lottery picks. The Raptors should be BETTER than they are.

This is the guy who traded Roy Hibbert for Jermain O'Neal .

He passed up on LMA. He traded Hibbert. Passed up on Granger. And he picked Terrance Ross over Andre Drummond when he already had a shooting guard.

The Raptors could have had Granger Hibbert and Bosh in the front court, and with that team likely could have retained Bosh.

In his defense, a lot of times when he was picking, there wasn't much to choose from, but at the same time, when you get lottery picks for 5 straight seasons, you'd better be able to put together a decent starting line-up.

North Yorker
05-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Anybody who thinks he put this Raptors team together needs to consider two things. One, the fact that the Raptors have a decent record has more to do with the fact that they East is so good. Second, the Raptors are WORSE than they would have be because of Coangelo.

Coangelo just spent the last five years with lottery picks. The Raptors should be BETTER than they are.

This is the guy who traded Roy Hibbert for Jermain O'Neal .

He passed up on LMA. He traded Hibbert. Passed up on Granger. And he picked Terrance Ross over Andre Drummond when he already had a shooting guard.

The Raptors could have had Granger Hibbert and Bosh in the front court, and with that team likely could have retained Bosh.

In his defense, a lot of times when he was picking, there wasn't much to choose from, but at the same time, when you get lottery picks for 5 straight seasons, you'd better be able to put together a decent starting line-up.

Babcock passed on Granger, not BC. And there is no telling if we would have drafted Hibbert if we didn't do the JO trade. We made that pick on behalf of the Pacers.

The guy's a good drafter. He really only does stupid moves when he's fighting for his job. I thought he was doing a fine job with the rebuild in TO until he was entering his contract year. Then he felt pressured to get Nash, which lead to the Fields debacle, and the drafting of Ross, which lead to the Gay trade,etc.

If Detroit wants to start over, build through the draft, and give BC a longterm deal, then he will add some solid talent to that core. Would I trust him to build a championship contender, probably not. But he can identify and draft young talent whatever draft choice he gets.