PDA

View Full Version : Something Has to be Done About Joey Crawford

P&GRealist
04-30-2014, 02:37 PM
His constant horrible calls, wanting to take control of games and outshines the stars of stars of this sports, picking fights with players (Duncan), extra histrionics (dancing while making a charge call), interrupting players free throws (Durant).

The guy just LOVES CONTROL, the guy wants to feel important. he has this old played out military sergeant attitude.

He got suspended for an entire playoffs for what he did to Timmy one yr.

I don't think the guy has learned his lesson. He just loves the attention.

Where's Dick Bavetta when you need em?

SteBO
04-30-2014, 02:41 PM
The fact that you went of your way to create a thread about Joey Crawford is exactly why NOTHING will be done about Joey Crawford (not being a jerk-off here OP, I just couldn't find another way to express this)

TheChandlerFlu
04-30-2014, 02:47 PM
the fact that he made the thread and we all know exactly who the ref is is exactly why something needs to be done.

Goose17
04-30-2014, 02:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIsuoZlStw4

tredigs
04-30-2014, 02:52 PM
The fact that you went of your way to create a thread about Joey Crawford is exactly why NOTHING will be done about Joey Crawford (not being a jerk-off here OP, I just couldn't find another way to express this)

By explaining what you're trying to say would be a start.

SteBO
04-30-2014, 02:53 PM
the fact that he made the thread and we all know exactly who the ref is is exactly why something needs to be done.
Me stating that something "won't" be done about it, doesn't mean I disagree with OP's assertion that something "should" be done.

Rain City
04-30-2014, 02:54 PM
His constant horrible calls, wanting to take control of games and outshines the stars of stars of this sports, picking fights with players (Duncan), extra histrionics (dancing while making a charge call), interrupting players free throws (Durant).

The guy just LOVES CONTROL, the guy wants to feel important. he has this old played out military sergeant attitude.

He got suspended for an entire playoffs for what he did to Timmy one yr.

I don't think the guy has learned his lesson. He just loves the attention.

Where's Dick Bavetta when you need em?

thank you, agree 100%.

the fact that we know a referee's name is usually a bad thing.

he almost makes me not want to be a fan of the sport. he needed to be removed years ago.

SteBO
04-30-2014, 02:56 PM
By explaining what you're trying to say would be a start.
No explanation needed. I was pretty clear, but I was also letting the OP know that I wasn't trying to be saracastic. I 100% agree with the OP; Joey Crawford's been an awful referee for years, but he's also created another avenue of some form of NBA discussion nationwide. That's why I don't think anything will be done about him.

slaker619
04-30-2014, 02:56 PM
He really needs to go

Patriot Pride
04-30-2014, 03:01 PM
He ****ing sucks I completely agree.

kdspurman
As a Spurs fan, I've felt like this for a while now....

But I don't know I necessarily blame him for what happened in the OKC/MEM game cause Durant was already struggling at the line (by his standards) before that. However, I don't see anything happening to him at this point, though maybe with Silver running the show it's possible if he has another incident.

tredigs
No explanation needed. I was pretty clear, but I was also letting the OP know that I wasn't trying to be saracastic. I 100% agree with the OP.

It makes it seem like you think he's still in the NBA because he's a distraction, which... makes no sense. Or maybe you're not? Which is where explaining would come in?

tredigs
04-30-2014, 03:06 PM
With your edit Stebo I see that this is in fact what you're trying to say. And it's dumb. Having an "avenue for discussion" is not what you want when 99.9% of that avenue is fans complaining about the officiating of a ref and whether or not he is compromising games. He generates no money for the league. Nobody is going to game or buying a jersey because of Joey Crawford (hell you don't even know who's reffing until the day of).

He's still a ref because he is among the longest tenured and plays by the NBA rules enough not to get fired. It's as simple as that.

JasonJohnHorn
He is one of the worst officials in the game. Easily.

SteBO
It makes it seem like you think he's still in the NBA because he's a distraction, which... makes no sense. Or maybe you're not? Which is where explaining would come in?
For the fans, knowing Joey Crawford's name is indeed not a good thing, since all we really care about is player performance, but for the NBA it's great; just another NBA topic for people to discuss which generates interest unfortunately.

P&GRealist
04-30-2014, 03:07 PM
No explanation needed. I was pretty clear, but I was also letting the OP know that I wasn't trying to be saracastic. I 100% agree with the OP; Joey Crawford's been an awful referee for years, but he's also created another avenue of some form of NBA discussion nationwide. That's why I don't think anything will be done about him.

no offense taken.

I have nothing against jerking off. :)

SteBO
04-30-2014, 03:08 PM
With your edit Stebo I see that this is in fact what you're trying to say. And it's dumb. Having an "avenue for discussion" is not what you want when 99.9% of that avenue is fans complaining about the officiating of a ref and whether or not he is compromising games. He generates no money for the league. Nobody is going to game or buying a jersey because of Joey Crawford (hell you don't even know who's reffing until the day of).

He's still a ref because he is among the longest tenured and plays by the NBA rules enough not to get fired. It's as simple as that.
And yet, millions of people still watch and the NBA "knows" it. You may think it's dumb (in a way it kinda is), but that's exactly how it's been and will continue to be.

P&GRealist
04-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Steve Javie, although he was very quick in handing out Techs, is sorely missed.

And for Dicky baby, ever since Chuck kissed him on the lips during all-star weekend, his career went downhill from there.

tredigs
04-30-2014, 03:13 PM
And yet, millions of people still watch. You may think it's dumb, but that's exactly how it is.

You're either a finely tuned troll or on some meds.

You do realize that nobody tunes in to watch Joey Crawford and most don't realize he's there until he makes his first ridiculous call of the game, right? Do you actually believe he is a cash cow for the league and that is why he is still on? Hahah. My man, he's just an anomaly who has managed to stick around by playing by the rules despite actions that annoy virtually everyone.

Hawkeye15
04-30-2014, 03:27 PM
never going to happen. The NBA loves him. Otherwise they wouldn't have him working the biggest games of the playoffs every year. He apparently grades very high as a ref, regardless of his showtunes style.

SteBO
04-30-2014, 03:31 PM
You're either a finely tuned troll or on some meds.

You do realize that nobody tunes in to watch Joey Crawford and most don't realize he's there until he makes his first ridiculous call of the game, right? Do you actually believe he is a cash cow for the league and that is why he is still on? Hahah. My man, he's just an anomaly who has managed to stick around by playing by the rules despite actions that annoy virtually everyone.
I'll ignore the futile insult attempt and answer your three questions. Maybe then we can have a discussion....

1) I do realize that NOBODY tunes in to watch Joey Crawford. In fact, I never stated otherwise. All I'm saying is that the NBA will do nothing about it because the games are still going attract its viewers regardless of who officiates the games, and that includes the annoying knat of an official that is Joey Crawford. Show me something that suggests otherwise and I'll back off this stance like an objective fan....

2) Cash cow for the league? Don't put words in my mouth tre. The fact that we're sitting here behind laptop/computer monitor/iPhone app arguing about this only furthers the point I'm trying to make. We both have the same dislike for this guy, but don't underestimate the small # of cynical people that find some sort of additional interest in games Joey Crawford officiates in. You may not have come across them, but unfortunately I have. Consider yourself lucky.

3) I completely agree. I can't stand the guy, but like most other NBA fans I'm not watching to see him make **** calls and prance around; I'm watching to see the best basketball players in the world perform. That's exactly why, again, NOTHING is going to be done about him unless there's a reverse in the viewership.

P&GRealist
04-30-2014, 03:33 PM
never going to happen. The NBA loves him. Otherwise they wouldn't have him working the biggest games of the playoffs every year. He apparently grades very high as a ref, regardless of his showtunes style.

More likey looney tunes.

See Elmer Fudd

GiantsSwaGG
04-30-2014, 03:39 PM
The heat need him

flea
04-30-2014, 03:44 PM

If you're a gambling man, never bet on his games unless you know who is supposed to win. ;)

tredigs
04-30-2014, 03:46 PM
I'll ignore the futile insult attempt and answer your three questions. Maybe then we can have a discussion....

1) I do realize that NOBODY tunes in to watch Joey Crawford. In fact, I never stated otherwise. All I'm saying is that the NBA will do nothing about it because the games are still going attract its viewers regardless of who officiates the games, and that includes the annoying knat of an official that is Joey Crawford. Show me something that suggests otherwise and I'll back off this stance like an objective fan....

2) Cash cow for the league? Don't put words in my mouth tre. The fact that we're sitting here behind laptop/computer monitor/iPhone app arguing about this only furthers the point I'm trying to make. We both have the same dislike for this guy, but don't underestimate the small # of cynical people that find some sort of additional interest in games Joey Crawford officiates in. You may not have come across them, but unfortunately I have. Consider yourself lucky.

3) I completely agree. I can't stand the guy, but like most other NBA fans I'm not watching to see him make **** calls and prance around; I'm watching to see the best basketball players in the world perform. That's exactly why, again, NOTHING is going to be done about him unless there's a reverse in the viewership.

You backed off a bit from your original post, or maybe you just actually explained what you're trying to say to a point that I could gather what you were going after.

I would say that the same # of cynical fans that tune in to watch him are countered by a similar if not larger contingent that turn a game off that he is officiating, so I don't think that point holds water.

I stand by my contention that Crawford is nothing but an ultra-long tenured referee whose good outweighs the bad as far as the NBA is concerned.

He has a known anger-management issue that has nearly cost him his job (and he's admitted that he has thrown out players and coaches simply for looking at him or laughing on the sidelines, including challenging Duncan to a fight...), but by and large - like Hawkeye mentioned - he rates highly as a ref and they're just not going to oust him unless he goes way overboard. I just hope all those visits to the psychiatrist help him keep his cool this post-season. Less is more, Joey...

colinskik
04-30-2014, 03:49 PM
For the fans, knowing Joey Crawford's name is indeed not a good thing, since all we really care about is player performance, but for the NBA it's great; just another NBA topic for people to discuss which generates interest unfortunately.

Just stop. You've dug yourself too deep already.

Hawkize31
04-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Durant missed the FT, making him 3 for 6 on the night. Get over it.

mike_noodles
04-30-2014, 04:05 PM
I don't mind the theatrics of the refs. They get caught up in the moment, the crowd, etc. But if he's not impartial, he should not be a referee in the world's #1 basketball league.

archdevil84
04-30-2014, 04:21 PM
i hate joey crawford but i actually wonder: there are so many bad refs in the league. But which one is a good ref? who actually makes the right calls and doesnt side with a team anytime?

ManRam
04-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Never been a fan, but I'm still not quite grasping the outrage over that play. He had to fix a scoreboard issue :shrug: KD wasn't shooting. He was just dribbling the ball. Whatever. That's no excuse, at all. Make the damn FT.

Game he officiate average less foul calls than the average and his games are right at the league average for points per game. What does that mean? IDK.

Refs have an impossibly difficult job. Is there a ref that officiates as many big games as Crawford that people actually like? I don't it. They're never going to be favorably viewed by the public. I mean, just view any GT here...like 80% of the conversation is criticizing like every single call made. That's all people seem to focus on...and considering how passionate people are they're going to remember the 50/50 calls, or even the flat out bad ones, that go against them and forget the ones that don't. No ref is ever going to please the majority of NBA fans. I'm not so sure the refs are all awful (I do think they need to be more accountable and the league can do a better job rating them and using that info to actually reward good ones), rather, I just think it's an impossible job, nearly every play has contact, and fans love deflecting their anger towards them

bluefire7002
04-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Joey Crawford calling a block...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLwMl0dfEXo

mjt20mik
04-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Joey Crawford calling a travel...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLwMl0dfEXo

It was a block actually.

gatkins11
04-30-2014, 04:33 PM
He is one of the worst officials in the game. Easily.

He grades pretty high which is why he keeps getting big games as the lead official. Both Crawford's can go as far as I'm concerned.

P&GRealist
04-30-2014, 04:35 PM
I don't mind the theatrics of the refs. They get caught up in the moment, the crowd, etc. But if he's not impartial, he should not be a referee in the world's #1 basketball league.

So then refs should not be giving out techs to guys who get emotional in the moment when they react to a foul they don't agree with.

Why the double standard? :confused:

P&GRealist
04-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Never been a fan, but I'm still not quite grasping the outrage over that play. He had to fix a scoreboard issue :shrug: KD wasn't shooting. He was just dribbling the ball. Whatever. That's no excuse, at all. Make the damn FT.

Nope, incorrect.

Had nothing to do with the score. It was the team foul situation for one of the teams, which they said would not have mattered in the big frame of things.

BALLER R
04-30-2014, 04:45 PM
The fact we know referees names is a problem. We shouldn't even notice them that much.

Wade n Fade
04-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Joey Crawford was called "one of the best refs in the game" by an ESPN analyst earlier today. I find that hilarious.

JEDean89
04-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Joey clearly is an attention whore who loves to be the one the camera focuses in on. The league needs to take action against him because he has been rewarded by them not doing anything by becoming one of the best known refs in the league. If a big enough deal is made about it by the press and the fans then Silver will do something, we now have a take action commisioner who is turning this into a much a better league.

Ill21
04-30-2014, 06:50 PM
yeah, joey crawford tries to make it all about him. No room for refs with ego's

Bruno
04-30-2014, 07:02 PM
I think Joey Crawford is unprofessional. he draws attention away from the game and onto himself. it is astounding to me as to why the league has made zero effort to curb this inflammatory behavior. He should be order to reel it in or be removed. professional referees in the NBA should never create as much drama as he does on a consistent basis.

i think the NBAs officiating ranks would be better without Crawford. I had all these opinions before his dramatic and unnecessary behavior last night. i think we all have, last night is just another example on a long list.

Kevj77
04-30-2014, 07:03 PM
When you actually know the name of a ref it usually isn't good. Off the top of my head I can name three refs Joey Crawford Dick Bavetta and Tim Donaghy. Bavetta is the only one I remember positively.