PDA

View Full Version : If the Thunder lose in the first round...

Red_Pill
04-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Who is shown the door first, Brooks or Westbrook?

It's clear Brooks is an ineffective coach who relies heavily on his top two players talents. With that said, are there any coaches who are available and would be a good fit for the Thunder?

or do you see the Thunder sticking with Brooks and trading Russell Westbrook for some better quality pieces?

Or do you see them going another season with same cast?

If you were Sam Presti, what would you do?

Sadds The Gr8
04-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Obviously Brooks

Red_Pill
04-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Obviously Brooks

Even if they could get star talent in exchange for Westbrook?

Sadds The Gr8
04-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Even if they could get star talent in exchange for Westbrook?

Coaches always fall 1st

ManRam
04-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Brooks has to go if they lose. If for no other reason than principle and the fact that it's by far the easiest change to make.

They won't have any money to do anything in FA. Trade Westbrook? I don't know. It's gonna be hard I'd imagine to find a package that actually makes you better in the short term. I hope he gets traded just so he can thrive as a clear #1 option without the scrutiny, but I doubt it happens.

You could probably get an upgrade at the 2 by packaging Lamb and some other young asset for a guy like Afflalo. But all of those moves obviously are purely short-term moves. They're kinda stuck in limbo unless they move Russell or really just swap all their youth (Lamb, Jones, Adams, Roberson...hell, even Jackson) for more ready-to-win now vets.

It will be an interesting offseason for them regardless. I just doubt we'll see a huge splash.

Tony_Starks
04-30-2014, 12:04 PM
Brooks is out. He can join Vogel, Jackson, and McHale.

slashsnake
04-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Who is shown the door first, Brooks or Westbrook?

It's clear Brooks is an ineffective coach who relies heavily on his top two players talents. With that said, are there any coaches who are available and would be a good fit for the Thunder?

or do you see the Thunder sticking with Brooks and trading Russell Westbrook for some better quality pieces?

Or do you seem them going another season with same cast?

If you were Sam Presti, what would you do?

I think Brooks is like Vogel. He can win with a good team, but isn't anything special. We aren't talking about replacing a guy like Pop or Thibs here.

But looking at the roster he has, I don't see who else he can rely on outside of Westbrook and Durant offensively. I guess Jackson but he has given him a lot of opportunity this year. Ibaka isn't scoring on his own, more of a play off the stars, get open when his man doubles kind of scorer there.

I can't say that I would fire Brooks, because I don't think he is a bad coach. He's had a bad week.. ok. He's had some very good moments too. But if I saw someone who I liked more (no idea who that would be), then sure I'd make a change. As for Westbrook, I'd listen, but I wouldn't make a trade just to trade. He's having a rough shooting time, but I don't think that's a fatal flaw. Even if they lose, 25-10-7 isn't bad production and he is only 25. Unless Durant says I am gone if you don't move him and get me something better, I'd pass unless the trade was a great looking one rather than get caught up in the heat of the moment over some bad shooting and turnovers by a young guard.

NoahH
04-30-2014, 12:05 PM
IMO people put way to much blame on Westbrook. Yes he shoots too much and is a bit too ball dominant, but he actually OUTPLAYED Durant in game 5. Westbrook has outplayed Durant in the past and still been blamed.

In game 5...
Westbrook 10-31
Durant 10-24

Yes, Westbrook shot a terrible percentage and much worse than Durant, but Durant also shot a very poor percentage and is shooting 40% on the series.

Other than shooting %, Westbrook completely outplayed Durant.

I'm sick of the Westbrook hate. I agree he is quite the ball-hog, takes some bad shots and doesn't mesh well with Durant, but his numbers show he's a star and simply trading Westbrook wont fix OKCS problem.

Red_Pill
04-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Brooks has to go if they lose. If for no other reason than principle and the fact that it's by far the easiest change to make.

They won't have any money to do anything in FA. Trade Westbrook? I don't know. It's gonna be hard I'd imagine to find a package that actually makes you better in the short term. I hope he gets traded just so he can thrive as a clear #1 option without the scrutiny, but I doubt it happens.

I agree. I think it's been Brooks inability to make adjustments. I also do not understand how hard it is to tell Westbrook to drive to the basket. That's what he's good at. He should stick with it.

Someone in the Timberwolves forum put a package around getting Westbrook which included sending the Thunder Pekovic and Rubio, which would give them a low post scorer and facilitator, and would also benefit the wolves in giving Love another star to pair with. Can't remember the extent of the whole package, but it was certainly an interesting proposal that got me thinking.

diu9leilomo
04-30-2014, 12:12 PM
durant is signing with the raps. theres a reason why toronto hosting the 2016 all star game

Red_Pill
04-30-2014, 12:12 PM
IMO people put way to much blame on Westbrook. Yes he shoots too much and is a bit too ball dominant, but he actually OUTPLAYED Durant in game 5. Westbrook has outplayed Durant in the past and still been blamed.

In game 5...
Westbrook 10-31
Durant 10-24

Yes, Westbrook shot a terrible percentage and much worse than Durant, but Durant also shot a very poor percentage and is shooting 40% on the series.

Other than shooting %, Westbrook completely outplayed Durant.

I'm sick of the Westbrook hate. I agree he is quite the ball-hog, takes some bad shots and doesn't mesh well with Durant, but his numbers show he's a star and simply trading Westbrook wont fix OKCS problem.

Believe me, I love Westbrook. I just wish he would make smarter decisions. Less jumpshots, more driving to the hole.

MrfadeawayJB
04-30-2014, 12:14 PM
If they are smart they get rid of brooks and then get a coach who can maximize okc's talent OR Get rid of both and trade Westbrook for a true pg and better bench players

Panthers4life
04-30-2014, 12:19 PM
jeff teague, korver and a 1st for westbrook? Teague gives them a viable pg who won't take as many shots from durant. He can get to the rim, korver helps spread the floor and gives okc the best shooter in the league and a young piece... Atl gets a superstar they've been looking for to go with horford and millsap. IMO makes sense for both sides.

nickdymez
04-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Gotta get Westbrook out of there. He's a crybaby

slashsnake
04-30-2014, 12:25 PM
I agree. I think it's been Brooks inability to make adjustments. I also do not understand how hard it is to tell Westbrook to drive to the basket. That's what he's good at. He should stick with it.

Someone in the Timberwolves forum put a package around getting Westbrook which included sending the Thunder Pekovic and Rubio, which would give them a low post scorer and facilitator, and would also benefit the wolves in giving Love another star to pair with. Can't remember the extent of the whole package, but it was certainly an interesting proposal that got me thinking.

Interesting... Of course you are replacing a guy who isn't shooting well for a guy who is an awful shot. Westbrook is shooting awful this playoff run, but that's Rubio every night. And I think putting yourself back a year or two in development needs there, especially on D.

And forcing yourself to give minutes to a big man with the foot speed of Gheorge Muresan on D. Those two might be the worst pick and roll D combo in the league there. Not to mention his health worries.

Could work for the reasons you say, but that would be a risky move.

Red_Pill
04-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Interesting... Of course you are replacing a guy who isn't shooting well for a guy who is an awful shot. Westbrook is shooting awful this playoff run, but that's Rubio every night. And I think putting yourself back a year or two in development needs there, especially on D.

And forcing yourself to give minutes to a big man with the foot speed of Gheorge Muresan on D. Those two might be the worst pick and roll D combo in the league there. Not to mention his health worries.

Could work for the reasons you say, but that would be a risky move.

But with Durant and Pekovic, you wouldn't need Rubio to score more than 10 a game, which he's capable of. But yeah, Pek tends to miss at least twenty games a year, and he's older. But he is a very good low post scorer. One of the best in the league in that regard. He could give the Thunder a reliable 20-10. And his presence in the paint would free up shots for others. Would be interesting if it happened, but it is indeed a long shot.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k4336bt

beyourself
04-30-2014, 03:15 PM
They need a new offensive system and more discipline on defense. That's about as damning as it gets for an NBA coach.

In an ideal world they both leave town, but Brooks MUST BE FIRED.

P&GRealist
04-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Someone should change the world IF to WHEN in the title.

P&GRealist
04-30-2014, 03:17 PM
Thunder FO really ****ed up things getting rid of Jeff Green and James Harden for basically Kendrick Perkins and Jeremy Lamb (who plays like 1 every 5 games).

beyourself
04-30-2014, 03:20 PM
Thunder FO really ****ed up things getting rid of Jeff Green and James Harden for basically Kendrick Perkins and Jeremy Lamb (who plays like 1 every 5 games).

The Thunder already have no defensive discipline. Except for Collison, Durant, Perkins and Sefo. Everybody is a block whore, steal whore or lazy on Defense. They didn't need Harden's defense.

Hawkeye15
04-30-2014, 03:22 PM

Rubio/Pekovic/Shved/1st for Westbrook/Perkins was the deal.

Why OKC does it: They get a low post scoring machine whose defense can be covered up by Ibaka. They also get a pass first (best passer in the game), defensive PG who will make everyone's life easier with his ability to create offense off the dribble. Shved is a throw in for depth, and a protected 1st. Westbrook's points are easily replaced, and their offense becomes more versatile because its not based on perimeter players having to do everything to put points on the board.

Why Minny does it: Love gets another star player, who happens to be his best friend, all but guaranteeing he re-signs. The Wolves now get a guy who can get to the rim and score off the bounce, something they need so badly in tight games. Now Dieng moves into the starting lineup, a much better fit next to Love (rim protection). As a toss in, the Wolves take Perkins stupid contract off their hands.

sammyvine
04-30-2014, 05:02 PM
Westbrook doesnt fit with Durant full stop. Doesn't make him a bad player but it is what it is. Durant needs a true PG or a PG like Tony Parker who makes smart plays, not one that takes 30 shots and just chucks.

We have been having these westbrook/durant conversations for like four years now and nothing seems to have improved. They are still not much better as a pair than when people were saying the two don't mesh and they are both getting older and the league is getting better (the stacked western conference)

Westbrook needs to be traded where he can be the number 1 guy and take 50 shots a game. I guarantee if these two stick together and they do not get an amazing coach like pop, phil or even rick carlisle, they won't ever win a ring together.

lkingratedr
04-30-2014, 05:23 PM
The thunders main 2 problema are a guy who is 6'11 and lazy as **** by the name of kendrick perkins had the thunder had a semi decent center that could rebound and get at least 10 points we wouldnt be havin this convo another reason is there front office gambles by givig away young promising players for basically peanuts

Im_in_Mia_bish
04-30-2014, 05:25 PM
I hope it's Westbrook so the thunder won't be a contender anymore! Well depends on who they get for westy of course.

king james
04-30-2014, 05:41 PM
To be honest I would get rid of both. I have felt for years that Kd and Westbrook aren't good together. B4 Westbrook got his money and harden left, I was for sure that they would trade Westbrook and pay harden. I think they made a big mistake bcuz if u trade Westbrook u may regress as a team, but with him u all would be a top team but never able to get over the top in my opinion. As far as coaching wise I think George Karl would fit u all perfectly.