PDA

View Full Version : Is instant replay ruining the playoffs?

ewing
04-30-2014, 07:59 AM
I think the first round has been great with the exception of the endless delays. As a life long basketball fan it is hard for me to watch i can't imagine if i was just tuning in b/c its the playoff and i'm bored. What do you think?

Goose17
04-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Not really. Instant replays are fun imo and they've been around for a long time now.

I think the officiating has been an issue though and there's been a lot of video reviews, I agree with the reviews to an extent, they're necessary, especially in the playoffs but I would like to see some changes to the way it's approached, make it like tennis or something where you have X amount of challenges per quarter (or half) and make it so anything can be reviewed but once you've used all of your challenges, you're done (like time outs).

The officiating in general has been pretty good but there's been two or three series (mostly out West actually) that have had some very questionable calls.

This might be the most competitive first round I've ever seen, I can't think of another off the top of my head anyway, would take a lot to "ruin" this, NBA doesn't get much better. Even the poor officiating can be forgiven to an extent but not completely.

ewing
04-30-2014, 09:12 AM
i think they should go to only buzzer beaters. Reviewing every non hand check foul, every 3, and every out of bounces play under 2 mins is ridiculous.

BALLER R
04-30-2014, 09:14 AM
I don't understand how you can review out of bounds plays but you can't review a foul or overturn it.

ewing
04-30-2014, 09:30 AM
I don't understand how you can review out of bounds plays but you can't review a foul or overturn it.

it is a flaw. Often the refs will think the ball is off a guy that didn't touch the ball but actually committed a foul and are forced to overturn a call that was better off. The out of bounce plays take for ever too and is often just guess work based on the trajectory of the ball vs position of the players. I think they are the worst.

Twolves88
04-30-2014, 09:34 AM
I think the refing in the first round has been questionable. Even with the use of instant replay the right calls are still not being made. For example look at the foul green comitted on griffin last night. It was a hard play on the ball but nothing more. It was not a flagrant one foul at all. In fact I think the refs have been too whistle and reveiw happy. Let the players determine the game not the refs.

colinskik
04-30-2014, 09:50 AM
I think the refing in the first round has been questionable. Even with the use of instant replay the right calls are still not being made. For example look at the foul green comitted on griffin last night. It was a hard play on the ball but nothing more. It was not a flagrant one foul at all. In fact I think the refs have been too whistle and reveiw happy. Let the players determine the game not the refs.

I agree with you here somewhat. That call was bogus on Green but I think it was upheld because of who Griffin is and because they don't want this series to get even more physical. It was sort of a statement call. I don't agree with it at all because that was the only way he could've prevented Griffin from scoring that bucket, but I understand why it was upheld.

Overall, I think the instant replays are pretty good although there are some flaws that need to be ironed out. Much better than the replays in baseball, which are just stupid. They should not be able to review fouls though -- never. Those need to be called in the flow of the game. If you start calling fouls based off of instant replays, you'll find a ton on each indiivdual play.

MrfadeawayJB
04-30-2014, 09:59 AM
They need to have a ref in a studio watching all replay footage and then buzz in the correct call to refs on the floor. That way it's not biased and caught up in the game

KnicksorBust
04-30-2014, 10:56 AM

Fouls are subjective. There is contact on every play but not a foul called on every player. If every time a defensive player made contact with an offensive player there was a foul called then they would be reviewing plays every possession and it would be absurd.

KnicksorBust
04-30-2014, 10:58 AM
They need to have a ref in a studio watching all replay footage and then buzz in the correct call to refs on the floor. That way it's not biased and caught up in the game

Yeah I really don't know why this isn't happening already in all sports. I can't count how many obvious calls a home viewer can make almost instantly on the first replay but has to wait 2 minutes for a football ref to walk to his little review booth and huddle over the screen.

KnicksorBust
04-30-2014, 10:59 AM
I think the first round has been great with the exception of the endless delays. As a life long basketball fan it is hard for me to watch i can't imagine if i was just tuning in b/c its the playoff and i'm bored. What do you think?

The games have been so good that it hasn't been bothering me that much but I agree I didn't realize there would be this many stoppages. Overall, it's more important to get the call right. But the flow of the games is so disjointed.

ManRam
04-30-2014, 11:01 AM
"Ruining" is quite harsh. I'd rather the call get right than not...but the ends of games are already so god damn slow and often tedious that it certainly does get a little annoying. But it's worth it in the end, and this first round has been one of the best in recent memories.