PDA

View Full Version : ELI5: Why do the Knicks want Steve Kerr so bad?

JasonJohnHorn
04-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I think Steve Kerr will make a great coach and I like the guy a lot. He seems like a nice guy and a smart player, and listening to his commentary he is an insightful guy with great observation skills.

But he's never coached?

I realize he knows PJax's triangle, having played in it, and was a point guard, so he is ideal for coaching (though spot-up-shooter-off-the-bench guard would be a better title).

If he had experience as a coach and success, I would see the demand, but as it is now, I just don't understand the big fuss? The Knicks don't have the players to run a triangle, and Kerr has never demonstrated that he can coach?

Why is this a big deal? And why isn't NY looking for a bigger name? Is this just a fall guy for the knicks tanking next year, getting a draft pick and clearing capspace to bring in a free agent? I don't get it?

Crackadalic
04-29-2014, 11:31 PM
For one the knicks always fall flat on big name coaches

Also Phil once to mold a coach in his image the same way pat did with spo

If you ask me I rather another candidate with some experience but I don't see how you can say this isn't a good move

east fb knicks
04-29-2014, 11:40 PM
first off it's not the knicks who want him it's pj 2nd kerr will have the title of hc but he'd be more like pj's assistant I truly think if pj was healthy he'd be out there but since he's not he's just sending his puppet out there

JasonJohnHorn
04-29-2014, 11:42 PM
For one the knicks always fall flat on big name coaches

Also Phil once to mold a coach in his image the same way pat did with spo

If you ask me I rather another candidate with some experience but I don't see how you can say this isn't a good move

I'm not saying it's a bad or a good move. It is like the Jason Kidd signing. No experience, but the potential to be a solid coach.

We'll have to wait and see if it's good or not.

Part of me feels bad for Woodson to be honest. Though I do like Kerr and expect he'll do well.

kingsdelez24
04-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Because he's played for other great coaches like Gregg Popovich, Lute Olson in Arizona, Lenny Wilkens. Hell even Mike Dunleavy Sr was a pretty good coach himself. He's always been able to crack their regular rotations through sticking to his role and knowing how to get by in the league where most of the players are more atheltic and talented than him. Those kind of players have made great coaches, and the fact that he learned from those coaches makes him all the more better as a potential coach

Crackadalic
04-29-2014, 11:47 PM
I'm not saying it's a bad or a good move. It is like the Jason Kidd signing. No experience, but the potential to be a solid coach.

Part of me feels bad for Woodson to be honest. Though I do like Kerr and expect he'll do well.

Woodson lack of offense execution in the final minutes is horrible. Under Karl and Dantoni melo was so decent in the last few minutes especially game winners

Under Woodson he's like 2-17/18

That's lack of offensive play calling

We lost 17 games with 3 points or less

That's coaching

Woodson is still a decent coach but not with a team with personality and no veterans

Jtirado16
04-29-2014, 11:52 PM
If Phil wants him he's good

sep11ie
04-29-2014, 11:57 PM
Cause if the Knicks don't hire him, Sterling will.

IDunknown
04-30-2014, 12:01 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I think Steve Kerr will make a great coach and I like the guy a lot. He seems like a nice guy and a smart player, and listening to his commentary he is an insightful guy with great observation skills.

But he's never coached?

I realize he knows PJax's triangle, having played in it, and was a point guard, so he is ideal for coaching (though spot-up-shooter-off-the-bench guard would be a better title).

If he had experience as a coach and success, I would see the demand, but as it is now, I just don't understand the big fuss? The Knicks don't have the players to run a triangle, and Kerr has never demonstrated that he can coach?

Why is this a big deal? And why isn't NY looking for a bigger name? Is this just a fall guy for the knicks tanking next year, getting a draft pick and clearing capspace to bring in a free agent? I don't get it?

That's not enough reasons for you? They've already started trying to get players that fit the system.

JasonJohnHorn
04-30-2014, 08:14 AM
That's not enough reasons for you? They've already started trying to get players that fit the system.

Well... I could say the same for Reggie Miller, or C-Webb.... Pat Ewing has actually BEEN an assistant coach for years now and he wants a job in NY (not saying he'd be great, but he has strong ties to the organization).

Plus there are a lot of good coaches lookin' for a job right now.

It just seems with the media stories I've been reading that they are in a hurry to get this done and that they think it is a big deal picking him up, but truth be told, no team has expressed an interest in Kerr as a coach.

I think it is a good move, but I'm just not sure what all the media hype is about? It seems like it's being treated as a big deal and I just don't get it?

blastmasta26
04-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Kerr is inexperienced, but it's almost a high-profile move because it's from Phil Jackson in NY. I think it will be interesting to follow the changes Phil makes, and Kerr is the beginning.

Twolves88
04-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Rumor has it GSW also is a potential suitor for Kerr.

The fact is that Kerr would be the perfect restart for the franchise as a coach. Jackson teaches him every in and out of the triangle and helps to hand pick the players. I mean what else could you possibly ask for? I think Melo is gone and the Knicks go into rebuild with Jackson and Kerr at the helm. As much as I dislike the Knicks the future looks bright with those two.

NYKnickFanatic
04-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Well... I could say the same for Reggie Miller, or C-Webb.... Pat Ewing has actually BEEN an assistant coach for years now and he wants a job in NY (not saying he'd be great, but he has strong ties to the organization).

Plus there are a lot of good coaches lookin' for a job right now.

It just seems with the media stories I've been reading that they are in a hurry to get this done and that they think it is a big deal picking him up, but truth be told, no team has expressed an interest in Kerr as a coach.

I think it is a good move, but I'm just not sure what all the media hype is about? It seems like it's being treated as a big deal and I just don't get it?

Ewing is the man, but dude can't speak. He stutters after every other word. There is a reason he is not a head coach.

redhorse
04-30-2014, 09:34 AM

I dont kno what team u follow but u wouldnt feel bad for him if he coached ur team...trust me

KnicksorBust
04-30-2014, 10:51 AM
he knows PJax's triangle, having played in it, and was a point guard, so he is ideal for coaching (though spot-up-shooter-off-the-bench guard would be a better title).

Qualification #1 for any new coach of this team is to be able to run a system offense. What system? Hmmm... well I don't think we brought in Lamar Odom because of his tremendous success in Dallas... so it's a pretty safe bet we are running the triangle. Therefore, that limits the candidate pool significantly. Kerr is an expert in Phil's system and has a close relationship with Jackson. That vaults him to the top of the list. I also agree that this being his first job as a head coach allows Jackson to mentor him and mold him without any previous bias. All pros. His temperament and intelligence clinch it for me.

pebloemer
04-30-2014, 10:59 AM
I'm guessing there are many reasons why PJ sees it as a fit. And with Phil's experience, fit is probably the bigger consideration over experience or coaching resume.

I'm assuming there is respect for his basketball knowledge and communication skills
I'm assuming that there is a shared vision with PJ regarding how a basketball team should be run and what a playbook should look like.

I have no guesses on other criteria PJ is looking at.

DoMeFavors
04-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Lets just say Phil is a good coach thats about it

Brian Shaw and Kurt Rambis were both praised by Phil Jackson and both pretty much cant coach.
Phil also worked with Pistons search for a Head Coach and they ended up with Mo Cheeks who was fired less then a yr in.
Phil is simply a coach nothing more, he will run the Knicks into the ground.

D-Leethal
04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Young first time coaches are becoming the norm, the league is evolving, old school guys are getting left in the dust, forward thinking innovators are ahead of the pack. Knick fans want Phil to be able to mold our coach into his image, Phil clearly wants the same thing and basically said point blank he wants a rookie coach. We like the thought of having a synergistic connection between Zen master and whoever our new coach may be, and we love the thought of having a guy who knows the triangle in and out (not to mentioned won 2 chips with Popovich too). Kerr has been visiting training camps for the last 4 years, from the likes of Lute Olsen, Popovich and even Bill Parcells, he's been preparing for this day since he left PHX.

Experience on the sidelines is so overrated around here, Kerr will have a rat pack of experienced assistants (who have all won chips with Phil) and the best coach of all time in his ear every single day. Rookie coaches are killing it all over the place. Guys like Adelman are out there looking clueless. Its a new day in the NBA and has been for a few years now.

DoMeFavors
04-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Young first time coaches are becoming the norm, the league is evolving, old school guys are getting left in the dust, forward thinking innovators are ahead of the pack. Knick fans want Phil to be able to mold our coach into his image, Phil clearly wants the same thing and basically said point blank he wants a rookie coach. We like the thought of having a synergistic connection between Zen master and whoever our new coach may be, and we love the thought of having a guy who knows the triangle in and out (not to mentioned won 2 chips with Popovich too). Kerr has been visiting training camps for the last 4 years, from the likes of Lute Olsen, Popovich and even Bill Parcells, he's been preparing for this day since he left PHX.

Experience on the sidelines is so overrated around here, Kerr will have a rat pack of experienced assistants (who have all won chips with Phil) and the best coach of all time in his ear every single day. Rookie coaches are killing it all over the place. Guys like Adelman are out there looking clueless. Its a new day in the NBA and has been for a few years now.

Young first year head coaches are becoming the norm and the league might be the weakest its ever been.

abe_froman
04-30-2014, 02:25 PM

But he's never coached?

phil is implementing the triangle and that limits the candidate pool ,also he and phil are close and on the same wavelength when it comes to basketball

Goose17
05-01-2014, 03:58 PM
How about the important question; Who will be commentating in the new 2k game if Kerr gets this job? They can't have you playing as the Knicks with Kerr coaching and commentating simultaneously.

Crackadalic
05-01-2014, 04:08 PM

Brian Shaw and Kurt Rambis were both praised by Phil Jackson and both pretty much cant coach.
Phil also worked with Pistons search for a Head Coach and they ended up with Mo Cheeks who was fired less then a yr in.

They failed because it's hard to teach a team of young players who just want to run and gun and shoot 3's

For a team with a mixture of youth and vets it can work

Shaw young team. Failed
Rambis young team failed

Mo cheeks was fired because smith/Monroe/Drummond don't fit. That's the clumsiest front court in the nba and you have a chucking pg. any coach would have been fired

ohreally
05-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Charlie McKerrthy. Don't know why Kerr wants to do that.

NBA_Starter
05-01-2014, 07:47 PM
I guess it is the Zen Master connection.

blahblahyoutoo
05-01-2014, 11:07 PM

But he's never coached?

the same can be said about phil.
he has no GM/VP experience, yet he's already being hailed as the savior.

Wade n Fade
05-01-2014, 11:13 PM
I for one think Steve Kerr will crash and burn as a coach. He was not a good GM nor is he very good as analyst or commentator. I think he doesn't have the dues either. I don't want Fisher and Kidd to be coaches where the Cliffords and Budenholzers didn't get jobs until after being long time assistants. Gotta pay your dues!

D-Leethal
05-01-2014, 11:21 PM
I for one think Steve Kerr will crash and burn as a coach. He was not a good GM nor is he very good as analyst or commentator. I think he doesn't have the dues either. I don't want Fisher and Kidd to be coaches where the Cliffords and Budenholzers didn't get jobs until after being long time assistants. Gotta pay your dues!

Rookie coaches seem to be doing pretty well for themselves, no?

effen5
05-02-2014, 01:56 AM
As a huge Steve Kerr fan (probably 1 of a small handful who had his jersey growing up) I think he is also going to fail as a Knick's coach. He couldn't handle all the stress in Phoenix as a GM, I don't think he could handle the scrutiny on a daily basis in New York. I honestly think Ron Harper would be a better choice.

FYL_McVeezy
05-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Phil wants somebody who understands the triangle and is a young coach he can mold. He doesn't want a retread and he doesn't want someone who doesn't have triangle experience. That leaves us with Kerr as one of the few people who fit the criteria.....

FYL_McVeezy
05-02-2014, 10:21 AM

Meanwhile, the Nets will do what exactly?

mjqusoldier
05-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Knicks won't be tanking next year they will def be a playoff team and a top 5 seed

Jeffy25
05-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Pj

NYKNYGNYY
05-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Knicks won't be tanking next year they will def be a playoff team and a top 5 seed

U really think that? If melo leaves? We don't have any draft picks... Over the cap... Doubt we do Nything unless we trade Tyson

TheNumber37
05-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Kerr doesn't have experience...

Neither did Kidd, nor Mark Jackson, both are leading teams to the playoffs in game 7s... Recent Nba and Ncaa (Ollie) have proved experience isn't everything...

If Kerr becomes 2/3 or 3/4 the coach that Phil or Pop (Having won titles under both) was, it's huge.

He's played with arguably 2 of the top 10 teams of all time... The players will listen. Kerr is Luke Skywalker in the first star wars movie... Embrace it

jimm120
05-02-2014, 05:59 PM
lol, its not the Knicks and Knicks fans...its mostly Phil Jackson.

Imo, some fans are just hoping that its a "puppet coach" who will be an extension of Phil.

I think most fans are pretty "meh" with Kerr. He's not really wanted nor shunned. People don't see what makes him a good coach such as a Stan Van Gundy, Jeff Van Gundy, or Tom Thibodeau ....but its Phil's show for now.