PDA

View Full Version : UCLA rejects Donald Sterling's $3 million gift for kidney research at the school

kozelkid
04-29-2014, 09:27 PM
While many corporations are no longer choosing to sponsor the Los Angeles Clippers, there's also a growing list of Los Angeles-area organizations that refuse to be sponsored by team owner Donald Sterling.

UCLA announced on Tuesday that it is returning an initial donation of $425,000 from Sterling and rejecting the remainder of a $3 million pledge the Clippers owner had made to help kidney research at the school's division of nephrology. The announcement came hours after NBA commissioner Adam Silver announced that Sterling had been banned from the league for life after his racial remarks had been made public.

In a strange twist to UCLA's rejection, the school said that a "thank you" ad in weekend editions of the Los Angeles Times (above) had been placed by Sterling, not UCLA.

The school also told the paper that the ad's claims that a research lab would be named in Donald and Shelly Sterling's honor were false and were never a condition of the original donation.

Here's the UCLA release:

Mr. Sterling’s divisive and hurtful comments demonstrate that he does not share UCLA’s core values as a public university that fosters diversity, inclusion and respect. For those reasons, UCLA has decided to return Mr. Sterling’s initial payment of $425,000 and reject the remainder of a $3 million pledge he recently made to support basic kidney research by the UCLA Division of Nephrology.
UCLA has received numerous inquiries about an advertisement in Sunday’s Los Angeles Times falsely suggesting that it was UCLA publicly thanking him for the gift. The ad was placed by Mr. Sterling, not the university.

UCLA isn't the only place saying thanks but not thanks to Sterling. The Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP announced on Monday that it would no longer honor Sterling with a pre-planned "lifetime achievement" award. The organization's president said it would also be returning an "insignificant" donation that Sterling had made to the group.

The Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles also told the Jewish Journal that it would no longer accept donations from Sterling, who donated $10,000 to the group in 2012.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/ucla-rejects-donald-sterling-s--3-million-gift-for-kidney-research-at-the-school-213615078.html

This is kind of ****ed up. The guy is a scum bag, but money is money and refusing it when it can save lives is ridiculous. Some of these organizations really should get their priorities straight.

NYJ - NYY
04-29-2014, 09:29 PM
They'll make the three million and way more

NBA_Starter
04-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Smart move, **** him

Midnightbottle
04-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Dumb. Take the money.

kozelkid
04-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Smart move, **** him

Ya? You tell it to the dialysis patients that they decided to reject a 3 million dollar donation for social reasons. It's asinine and is nothing more than useless pride that has no bearing on the real victims here. What exactly does this prove? It's not going to change the fact that he's a POS. On the other hand, it takes away money that can be put into saving people's lives.

KobeOwnSU
04-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Ya? You tell it to the dialysis patients that they decided to reject a 3 million dollar donation for social reasons. It's asinine and is nothing more than useless pride that has no bearing on the real victims here. What exactly does this prove? It's not going to change the fact that he's a POS. On the other hand, it takes away money that can be put into saving people's lives.

The positive publicity from this will probably net them more than the 3 million they rejected. There are a lot of rich people out there, especially in LA.

lincecum=future
04-29-2014, 09:37 PM
So they only now reject his money now that he's exposed when he has a well known history of being a bigot? Publicity stunt and a stupid one at that.

FriedTofuz
04-29-2014, 09:41 PM
I would still accept the money, think of what it can do for research..

GiantsSwaGG
04-29-2014, 09:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/ucla-rejects-donald-sterling-s--3-million-gift-for-kidney-research-at-the-school-213615078.html

This is kind of ****ed up. The guy is a scum bag, but money is money and refusing it when it can save lives is ridiculous. Some of these organizations really should get their priorities straight.

So you don't mind accepting money from a racist?

thomass
04-29-2014, 09:45 PM

if the alternative is dying, then NO (oops)

kozelkid
04-29-2014, 09:48 PM

If it means saving lives, no I don't. And UCLA didn't mind either until this weekend.

People really need to get their priorities straight.

slashsnake
04-29-2014, 09:48 PM
So they only now reject his money now that he's exposed when he has a well known history of being a bigot? Publicity stunt and a stupid one at that.

Even worse is the NAACP wanting to give him a 2nd lifetime achievement award for his donations... They aren't looking too good there.

I guess it is up to them. If they vet their donors and feel he no longer meets what they want to be associated with (and they should), then it is their choice.

And this guy loves to make his media name. I remember other homeless shelters I believe rejecting his 50 million dollar home. He was posting news advertisements that it was already done, and then would call them up throw down a pile of regulations that he could pull his money any time, that they could never own the shelter, just borrow it, and when they would ask why he'd quit talking to them. And in the end it looked like he was just using this as a bit of free press (the homeless shelter is still just an abandoned warehouse).

So no, I have no problem with them not wanting to associate themselves with him.

thomass
04-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Even worse is the NAACP wanting to give him a 2nd lifetime achievement award for his donations... They aren't looking too good there.

I guess it is up to them. If they vet their donors and feel he no longer meets what they want to be associated with (and they should), then it is their choice.

And this guy loves to make his media name. I remember other homeless shelters I believe rejecting his 50 million dollar home. He was posting news advertisements that it was already done, and then would call them up throw down a pile of regulations that he could pull his money any time, that they could never own the shelter, just borrow it, and when they would ask why he'd quit talking to them. And in the end it looked like he was just using this as a bit of free press (the homeless shelter is still just an abandoned warehouse).

So no, I have no problem with them not wanting to associate themselves with him.

well your kidney is not ****ed up now is it? (or is it?)

GiantsSwaGG
04-29-2014, 09:51 PM

If it means saving lives, no I don't. And UCLA didn't mind either until this weekend.

So you don't think they can get the money else where? Or the nba will provide the 3 mill?

I'm sorry I wouldn't accept money from the devil

thomass
04-29-2014, 09:53 PM
So you don't think they can get the money else where? Or the nba will provide the 3 mill?

That would imply that others would no longer donate based solely on UCLA's decision to accept donald's money. That's more ****ed up to me than UCLA accepting the money. He's racist, not ****ing Hitler.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-29-2014, 09:54 PM
Stupid.

kozelkid
04-29-2014, 09:56 PM

He's not the devil. I wouldn't make a deal with the devil because you get ****ed in the end. I would take 3mil from Donald Sterling though because I lose nothing by taking 3mil from him while I do gain 3mil that can be put into helping patients.

kozelkid
04-29-2014, 09:57 PM
A charity shouldn't be concerned about pride. I should concerned solely about the people it aims to help.

IndyRealist
04-29-2014, 10:03 PM
He's not the devil. I wouldn't make a deal with the devil because you get ****ed in the end. I would take 3mil from Donald Sterling though because I lose nothing by taking 3mil from him while I do gain 3mil that can be put into helping patients.

If you lose other donors because you took money from Sterling, as well as damage the reputation of the university because Sterling ran his OWN thank you ad in the paper, well I think you'd rather prefer to end up on the right side of history.

kozelkid
04-29-2014, 10:05 PM
If you lose other donors because you took money from Sterling, as well as damage the reputation of the university because Sterling ran his OWN thank you ad in the paper, well I think you'd rather want to end up on the right side of history.

I find it hard to believe that donors are going to be upset that you accept 3 million regardless from whom for the sake of kidney research. On the other hand, what Sterling ran was fake and they could have easily disputed that.

Avenged
04-29-2014, 10:15 PM

What the. Well let's just go from one extreme to another.

GiantsSwaGG
04-29-2014, 10:20 PM

I find it hard to believe that donors are going to be upset that you accept 3 million regardless from whom for the sake of kidney research. On the other hand, what Sterling ran was fake and they could have easily disputed that.

Why wouldn't they be upset? Do you know how many African American are involved in kidney research and other charities? What message are you sending to them?

BALLER R
04-29-2014, 10:25 PM
Some of yall in here need to learn more about business and PR. Them giving the money back will generate a lot more in return.

flea
04-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Lol "what message are you sending." Who gives a ****? Money is green, son. Not everything in this world is about marketing and messages.

GiantsSwaGG
04-29-2014, 10:29 PM
:laugh2: money is money are y'all serious?

zn23
04-29-2014, 10:30 PM
This is getting out of hand... If he's offering them money for research accept the ****ing money.

Too many sheep.

GiantsSwaGG
04-29-2014, 10:34 PM
This is getting out of hand... If he's offering them money for research accept the ****ing money.

Too many sheep.

Or get the money else

IndyRealist
04-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Lol "what message are you sending." Who gives a ****? Money is green, son. Not everything in this world is about marketing and messages.

Marketing and messages ARE money. The world is hyper aware of everything, thanks to the internet. Do you think Chik-Fil-A didn't lose a truckload of money when they were boycotted?

Mozilla fired their CEO, Brendan Eich, TWO WEEKS after making him CEO, because he donated $1000 to Prop 8 SIX YEARS AGO, and the internet was outraged. OKCupid actually posted a frontpage calling him out and asking users to switch from using FireFox.

Image matters.

GiantsSwaGG
04-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Accepting money from Sterling means you're still affiliated with him. You guys are acting like they can't get the 3 mill elsewhere. I'm pretty sure the nba will step in and provide the money, probably more!

IndyRealist
04-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Remember when Kobe used a homophobic slur against a ref, had to pay a $250,000 fine, and the ENTIRE NBA promoted gay rights for a year?

LOL thinking marketing and messages don't matter.

GiantsSwaGG
04-29-2014, 10:42 PM
Remember when Kobe used a homophobic slur against a ref, had to pay a $250,000 fine, and the ENTIRE NBA promoted gay rights for a year?

LOL thinking marketing and messages don't matter.

Money is money apparently

flea
04-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Marketing and messages ARE money. The world is hyper aware of everything, thanks to the internet. Do you think Chik-Fil-A didn't lose a truckload of money when they were boycotted?

Mozilla fired their CEO, Brendan Eich, TWO WEEKS after making him CEO, because he donated $1000 to Prop 8 SIX YEARS AGO, and the internet was outraged. OKCupid actually posted a frontpage calling him out and asking users to switch from using FireFox.

Image matters.

No I don't think Chick-Fil-A did lose money, but people cried about it. That CEO got fired because he was dumb enough to work in Silicon Valley and not believe like he was supposed to. If we made a federal case about scrutinizing the source of all the money that is donated to causes like medical research then we'd have a hard time paying bills.

IndyRealist
04-29-2014, 10:49 PM
No I don't think Chick-Fil-A did lose money, but people cried about it. That CEO got fired because he was dumb enough to work in Silicon Valley and not believe like he was supposed to. If we made a federal case about scrutinizing the source of all the money that is donated to causes like medical research then we'd have a hard time paying bills.
Eich didn't get fired because his views suddenly came to light and Mozilla was shocked and appalled, Mozilla knew about it in 2012. He got fired because the internet protested. He was fired because public perception of your business matters, and affects the bottom line.

championships
04-29-2014, 10:51 PM
So they're letting Sterling keep his Millions and some are even giving him money back??

Oh yeah, they're showing him. (sarcasm)

GiantsSwaGG
04-29-2014, 10:54 PM
So they're letting Sterling keep his Millions and some are even giving him money back??

It's not about showing him, it's about the message you're sending accepting money from a racist.

championships
04-29-2014, 10:58 PM

It's not about showing him, it's about the message you're sending accepting money from a racist.I'm sure they gladly take a ton of donations from old racist rich guys all the time.

championships
04-29-2014, 11:01 PM

It's not about showing him, it's about the message you're sending accepting money from a racist.Plus this isn't new news. People have known Sterling is a racist for years now. They gladly accepted his donations the whole time.

GiantsSwaGG
04-29-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm sure they gladly take a ton of donations from old racist rich guys all the time.

Yeah they all have recorded audio where they were caught with their Thot explaining how they don't like black ppl

GiantsSwaGG
04-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Plus this isn't new news. People have known Sterling is a racist for years now. They gladly accepted his donations the whole time.

And where was the proof? Even the nba said they investigate and he came out clean. I mean he did win a NAACP award

Tony_Starks
04-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Good for them, they don't need Massa Sterlings money.

This is UCLA, do you know how rich their alumni are? They'll get the money.....

1-800-STFU
04-30-2014, 10:01 AM
And where was the proof? Even the nba said they investigate and he came out clean. I mean he did win a NAACP award

This guy has been a discriminatory slumlord for ****ing years, that is how he built his business empire. The ONLY reason he is getting booted out now is that he is threatening the NBA as a business and it's potential cash flow. There is no other reason, it's not about making a social stand it's about the NBA being proactive in NOT losing money as a business and protecting it's interests.

torocan
04-30-2014, 10:26 AM
It's really hard to judge given we don't know the details of UCLA's position.

It's quite possible they were facing the possibility of other donors walking. While $3M is a lot of money, I wouldn't be surprised if significantly larger donors were expressing their disapproval and telling UCLA that if they accepted Sterling's money that they would take their money somewhere else.

It's a similar situation to the NAACP. You can bet that their other donors were calling for the revocation of Sterling's award and threatening to withdraw future financial support.

If UCLA has to choose between keeping Sterling's money or alienating a host of other donors, they'll walk on Sterling every time. They're not going to go to bat for Sterling and risk losing dollars from other donors.

GiantsSwaGG
04-30-2014, 10:31 AM
This guy has been a discriminatory slumlord for ****ing years, that is how he built his business empire. The ONLY reason he is getting booted out now is that he is threatening the NBA as a business and it's potential cash flow. There is no other reason, it's not about making a social stand it's about the NBA being proactive in NOT losing money as a business and protecting it's interests.

Trust me I know Sterling been a racist piece of **** for a long time but without concrete evidence it was hard to label him that. You might be right and with the recording being public the NBA had no choice but to act swiftly!

Kenny Powders
04-30-2014, 11:25 AM

So, if Donald sterling offered you 3M, you would turn it down? I have a hard time believing that.

torocan
04-30-2014, 11:30 AM
So, if Donald sterling offered you 3M, you would turn it down? I have a hard time believing that.

I would if the other guy that wasn't a racist who was about to give me $10M said, "Don't take that racist's money or we're done."

slashsnake
04-30-2014, 11:51 AM

depends what strings are attached for that money. Sure, if I had a charity (remember he isn't making you rich), I'd think about it. But if I have to name my charity after him (or in this case a library or research building, or build a statue of him) no thanks. I don't want to memorialize Sterling for eternity.

Kenny Powders
04-30-2014, 01:10 PM
The guy I quoted said he wouldn't take money off a racist. You guys are overthinking it, my question to him was if Sterling just cut him a cheque, personally, for 3M, he would turn it down. I find that hard to believe.

slashsnake
04-30-2014, 01:24 PM
The guy I quoted said he wouldn't take money off a racist. You guys are overthinking it, my question to him was if Sterling just cut him a cheque, personally, for 3M, he would turn it down. I find that hard to believe.

Good point.. yeah I'd take that. But in this topic here, after reading about Sterlings previous charitable contributions (there was an article about his 50 million dollar homeless shelter that was really shady), I am guessing his check to UCLA comes with some strings attached.

raiders1977
04-30-2014, 01:29 PM
I wonder if they would turn down LJ's donations? Way to much is being made of a man having a private conversation with someone on the phone.

GiantsSwaGG
04-30-2014, 01:31 PM

As a black man, I would say no and I would spit in his face.

IndyRealist
04-30-2014, 01:38 PM

That is a straw man argument, the scenarios aren't remotely the same. No individual person is going to turn down millions of dollars if they don't already have significantly more money than that. That's why the Clippers haven't walked off the court, and I don't blame them.

But we're not talking about an individual, we're talking about a huge organization with thousands of donors and alumni. $3M is a lot to them, but it's not worth have a hundred other donors pull their funding.

Shlumpledink
04-30-2014, 01:44 PM
I'll take the money, and then I will give them one of my kidneys

Patriot Pride
04-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Well since some of you have already established that they would take the money, where do you draw the line?

Ethics + Money is an interesting topic. IMO truly ethical decisions have nothing to do with money although obviously this isn't the case in our society.

College is mostly about promoting diversity and learning about/interacting with other people who have different views and backgrounds than you. If you wrote a hate speech as your college essay you wouldn't be accepted no matter what your power/money standing was.

slashsnake
04-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Well since some of you have already established that they would take the money, where do you draw the line?

I'd take whatever he would be willing to give. Cops and cities use dirty money all the time. Car gets impounded from a drug bust, auctioned, money goes to fund a new afterschool program.

Where I would draw the line is if there was a string attached. His name on something for the next few decades. His picture hanging above the reception desk. Him in photo ops with your school president. Him getting to sit at the main table when former president Clinton comes buy for a speech/dinner.

I guess after thinking about it I would tell him we would love to use your donation to further our research, but we don't stand by your beliefs and can't have you memorialized here. We hope you will continue with the rest of your donation, but if not, thank you and have a nice day.

Patriot Pride
04-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Part of the problem here was that the donation was made before the incident.

If it were made after I would expect they would do it if Sterling anonymously donated it. Thats actually a great idea.

flea
04-30-2014, 03:38 PM
If you have ever bought narcotics, or even been friends with a someone selling weed on the side, then you have likely contributed to the commerce that drives the Mexican drug war. Literally thousands of people have died because you had to create dirty money by buying drugs. You most likely are going to hell solely for this circumstance, and you will deserve it because you are worse than a racist for supporting dead Mexican children.

beyourself
04-30-2014, 03:55 PM
So now were too good to accept this donation because where it's coming from? **** UCLA you excessive prideful piece of **** academics. Seriously go **** yourselves and try and find some humility.

Patriot Pride
04-30-2014, 05:03 PM
If you have ever bought narcotics, or even been friends with a someone selling weed on the side, then you have likely contributed to the commerce that drives the Mexican drug war. Literally thousands of people have died because you had to create dirty money by buying drugs. You most likely are going to hell solely for this circumstance, and you will deserve it because you are worse than a racist for supporting dead Mexican children.

This is so wrong it's not even funny.

I am going to hell because I buy a plant that the government has decided to make a war over? Please.

I do agree that the Mexican Drug war is a huge problem but blaming people who buy Marijuana in the U.S. is how this whole problem started. Reagan decided to tackle the problem by going after dealers in the United States. Less supply from the U.S. makes a giant market for marijuana production in Mexico and Canada fueling these cartels.

It policy that makes these problems not people.

HoodedSB
04-30-2014, 05:42 PM
3 million dollars?!?!?!?!? You've got to be kidding me. This is a symbolic gesture that won't hurt sterling one bit, but it sure as hell doesn't help the people dying of kidney diseases who would benefit from the research. At this point there is no question his legacy won't be looked at positively, so why not take his money when it can help save lives?

Unless he wanted his name on the building or something like that in exchange for the donation.

d00d
04-30-2014, 05:57 PM
this **** is so out of hand now. pander to the Jessee Jackson puppets and reject $3 million for sick people?

wake the **** up America, this is crazy

knicksfan1794
04-30-2014, 07:24 PM
I find it funny how they reject money when the school it self is racist, they allowed only 48 African American freshmen last year.

1-800-STFU
04-30-2014, 08:04 PM
I find it funny how they reject money when the school it self is racist, they allowed only 48 African American freshmen last year.

Perhaps it more has to do with the grades of the applicants than race itself? That's a half-baked statement without any hard evidence.

bigballa321
04-30-2014, 08:18 PM
racism is worse than dying

Trwood12
04-30-2014, 08:22 PM
He might just be trying to make himself look not so bad (too late). In which case I say reject the money.

Max.This
04-30-2014, 08:27 PM
By some of these posters logic I suppose All of the clippers players should be giving all their paychecks signed by Sterling because they shouldnt take a racists money. But i guess the color green doesn't apply here

GiantsSwaGG
04-30-2014, 09:15 PM
By some of these posters logic I suppose All of the clippers players should be giving all their paychecks signed by Sterling because they shouldnt take a racists money. But i guess the color green doesn't apply here

Ahh if I'm correct, the players were going to protest, Doc wasn't going to return, so in a way they were about to do the samething!

Vinny642
05-01-2014, 03:20 AM
The ignorance of people is crazy.

joeyc77
05-01-2014, 08:16 AM
The hypocrisy in this country is amazing.

Donald Sterling did not become a racist over the past week. He has a history of civil rights violations but no one had a problem taking his money then. The NAACP gave him a lifetime achievement award and many other organizations took his money with no issues. The NBA, being fully aware of his history, essentially awarded his team CP3.

This is nothing more than the TMZ effect. People see it, fake their outrage and organizations feel the need to react. The NBA had to make a move, I get that but this issue with UCLA is just political correctness going out of control.

Now, instead of that money going to a good cause it can just go to pay his fine to the NBA, who I'm sure will find a way to do something worthy with it like position the Lakers a top the league again.

Being on dialysis is much worse than anything this idiot has ever said in his life. Whoever made this decision for UCLA is a much worse person than Sterling.

GiantsSwaGG
05-01-2014, 08:56 AM
The hypocrisy in this country is amazing.

Donald Sterling did not become a racist over the past week. He has a history of civil rights violations but no one had a problem taking his money then. The NAACP gave him a lifetime achievement award and many other organizations took his money with no issues. The NBA, being fully aware of his history, essentially awarded his team CP3.

This is nothing more than the TMZ effect. People see it, fake their outrage and organizations feel the need to react. The NBA had to make a move, I get that but this issue with UCLA is just political correctness going out of control.

Now, instead of that money going to a good cause it can just go to pay his fine to the NBA, who I'm sure will find a way to do something worthy with it like position the Lakers a top the league again.

Being on dialysis is much worse than anything this idiot has ever said in his life. Whoever made this decision for UCLA is a much worse person than Sterling.

Do you have proof he was a racist in the past?

dazz
05-01-2014, 09:20 AM
He might just be trying to make himself look not so bad (too late). In which case I say reject the money.

Bingo.

I'm still baffled how people put money & business over principles, if they have any that is

joeyc77
05-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Do you have proof he was a racist in the past?

Yes. It's public record. Feel free to research it.

GiantsSwaGG
05-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Yes. It's public record. Feel free to research it.

So she said he said is proof now?

joeyc77
05-01-2014, 10:32 AM
So she said he said is proof now?

All I'm saying is the guy had a history of racist incidents and some were much more egregious than what he said on those tapes.

If he's a racist for what he said on those tapes, he was a racist for all those other incidents as well after which he was allowed to own the team and donate money to several organizations, one of which gave him a lifetime achievement award when their main focus is promoting black people.

It just shows how shallow our society has become.

GiantsSwaGG
05-01-2014, 10:35 AM
All I'm saying is the guy had a history of racist incidents and some were much more egregious than what he said on those tapes.

If he's a racist for what he said on those tapes, he was a racist for all those other incidents as well after which he was allowed to own the team and donate money to several organizations, one of which gave him a lifetime achievement award when their main focus is promoting black people.

It just shows how shallow our society has become.

It's hard to point out his racist with no proof? What incident do you speak of? The guy won an NAACP award and was about to win another won. They're a lot of people who are surprise and said he never came across them as being racist. He's employment African Americans, (probably more than White Americans). I'm black and I believe he had other racist incidents but without proof you can't prove it.

He can still rot in hell but you gotta keep it 100 at the same time!

And you're right about society, theirs probably 75% of donors who are racist, they're probably other owners in the NBA or any sport that are racist but until we catch them red handed like we did Sterling there's nothing we can do about it!

Patriot Pride
05-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Bingo.

I'm still baffled how people put money & business over principles, if they have any that is

Me too, especially when it is so easy and beneficial to line up business and money with sound ethical principles.

joeyc77
05-01-2014, 12:24 PM
It's hard to point out his racist with no proof? What incident do you speak of? The guy won an NAACP award and was about to win another won. They're a lot of people who are surprise and said he never came across them as being racist. He's employment African Americans, (probably more than White Americans). I'm black and I believe he had other racist incidents but without proof you can't prove it.

He can still rot in hell but you gotta keep it 100 at the same time!

And you're right about society, theirs probably 75% of donors who are racist, they're probably other owners in the NBA or any sport that are racist but until we catch them red handed like we did Sterling there's nothing we can do about it!

The incident in which he settled a law suit in which peoples civil rights were violated, the incident in which his GM accused him of the same, ect. These were both stronger indicators of racism then the stupid taped phone conversation.

And you're missing the point, his money can still go for good causes. The NAACP gave him an award because of his "generosity." Who cares if it was for show or appearances? The end result is his money was put to good use. That doesn't mean he's not racist or it makes up for his behavior. It just means his money is not racist.

Again, shame on UCLA for not taking that money. People who suffer from kidney failure have it worse than anyone who has been affected by this guys comments.

GiantsSwaGG
05-01-2014, 01:09 PM
The incident in which he settled a law suit in which peoples civil rights were violated, the incident in which his GM accused him of the same, ect. These were both stronger indicators of racism then the stupid taped phone conversation.

And you're missing the point, his money can still go for good causes. The NAACP gave him an award because of his "generosity." Who cares if it was for show or appearances? The end result is his money was put to good use. That doesn't mean he's not racist or it makes up for his behavior. It just means his money is not racist.

Again, shame on UCLA for not taking that money. People who suffer from kidney failure have it worse than anyone who has been affected by this guys comments.

But here's the thing, how can you take what Elgin Baylor say serious when he was with the organization for 20 + years? That's one of the reason he lost his lawsuit and the funny part is, Sterling still offered to pay him monthly and Baylor decline. And as far as I know Baylor should of been fired YEARS ago because he was a horrible GM... I'm not to familiar with the other lawsuit that he settle by paying 2.5 mill, but it was hard to label him racist.

And you're missing the point by them not accepting the money, their reputation takes a hit, they send a horrible message to African Americans, they might lose other donors etc.

joeyc77
05-01-2014, 01:23 PM
But here's the thing, how can you take what Elgin Baylor say serious when he was with the organization for 20 + years? That's one of the reason he lost his lawsuit and the funny part is, Sterling still offered to pay him monthly and Baylor decline. And as far as I know Baylor should of been fired YEARS ago because he was a horrible GM... I'm not to familiar with the other lawsuit that he settle by paying 2.5 mill, but it was hard to label him racist.

And you're missing the point by them not accepting the money, their reputation takes a hit, they send a horrible message to African Americans, they might lose other donors etc.

Right because if they hadn't returned money everyday people would have known about the donation.

And if someone wouldn't donate to a very worthy cause if they took money from a racist, then they are worst then the racist .

This country's priorities are all screwed up. Kidney failure trumps racism.

GiantsSwaGG
05-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Right because if they hadn't returned money everyday people would have known about the donation.

And if someone wouldn't donate to a very worthy cause if they took money from a racist, then they are worst then the racist .

This country's priorities are all screwed up. Kidney failure trumps racism.

Brah serious question, do you really think 3 million dollars is enough money to find a cure? Again they get MILLIONS from other donors! They can accept that 3 mill and still wouldn't find a cure

NYKalltheway
05-01-2014, 01:31 PM
If Sterling can't spend his own money, could he pass it over to my accounts? :p

joeyc77
05-01-2014, 01:49 PM
No... Of course not but it can sure help. Why would anyone donate to a cause who didn't believe 3 mill could make a difference?

Did what Sterling said actually hurt anyone? Did he really keep people out of the arena? No. But it's the principle. Same applies here.

VendettaRed07
05-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Brah serious question, do you really think 3 million dollars is enough money to find a cure? Again they get MILLIONS from other donors! They can accept that 3 mill and still wouldn't find a cure

3 million dollars is more money then every single person who has so much as lurked on PSD will have donated in their entire lives collectively. If 3m is an insignificant, useless donation, then we should just tell everyone to never donate to charity ever again because its pointless.

To people who suffer from disease. Money for research is hope. Hope that they may find a cure before their illness takes them. It is absolutely insane for them to turn this down. Every person under the watch of the UCLA who dies of kidney failure or kidney related diseases should have a letter sent to their families saying "We could have done more possibly... But, we didn't feel like it because of a TMZ recording"

And even if they find 3 million from somewhere else.. They could have had 6 million instead of just 3.

GiantsSwaGG
05-01-2014, 02:33 PM
No... Of course not but it can sure help. Why would anyone donate to a cause who didn't believe 3 mill could make a difference?

Did what Sterling said actually hurt anyone? Did he really keep people out of the arena? No. But it's the principle. Same applies here.

Bro you mean to tell me if there was no punishment and he was still active in the NBA, ppl wouldn't protest? Do you know how many sponsers they lost because of Sterlings comments?

GiantsSwaGG
05-01-2014, 02:35 PM
3 million dollars is more money then every single person who has so much as lurked on PSD will have donated in their entire lives collectively. If 3m is an insignificant, useless donation, then we should just tell everyone to never donate to charity ever again because its pointless.

To people who suffer from disease. Money for research is hope. Hope that they may find a cure before their illness takes them. It is absolutely insane for them to turn this down. Every person under the watch of the UCLA who dies of kidney failure or kidney related diseases should have a letter sent to their families saying "We could have done more possibly... But, we didn't feel like it because of a TMZ recording"

And even if they find 3 million from somewhere else.. They could have had 6 million instead of just 3.

Or if they accept that 3 mill, they might recieve less in the future because of other donors being offended and leaving.

joeyc77
05-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Bro you mean to tell me if there was no punishment and he was still active in the NBA, ppl wouldn't protest? Do you know how many sponsers they lost because of Sterlings comments?

I never said the NBA shouldn't react. They had to. UCLA didn't. Again no one would have known a Sterling donated to then without them making it public. Also, politicians except money all the time from people who say and do ignorant ****.

If someone chooses not to donate to a worthy cause out of some misguided sense of morality because they happen to not like another donor, they are worse than a racist.

UCLA not accepting his money, potentially hurt black people a great deal more than what Donald Sterling said or any racist could ever say.

The priorities in this country are *** backwards.

GiantsSwaGG
05-01-2014, 05:38 PM
I never said the NBA shouldn't react. They had to. UCLA didn't. Again no one would have known a Sterling donated to then without them making it public. Also, politicians except money all the time from people who say and do ignorant ****.

If someone chooses not to donate to a worthy cause out of some misguided sense of morality because they happen to not like another donor, they are worse than a racist.

UCLA not accepting his money, potentially hurt black people a great deal more than what Donald Sterling said or any racist could ever say.

The priorities in this country are *** backwards.

But again what message are you sending? You're making seem like they don't have a million other donors. 3 mill doesn't hurt them not one bit. Think about it, the NBA could of loss money because of Sterling, the Clippers lost sponsers because of Sterling, why do you think the NBA did what it did? They were going to lose money of they were still affliated with Sterling. They had to eliminate him. So obviously the charity is doing the samething because by accepting the money you potentially will lose donors. And you're right it's a ****ed up situation but like the NBA, did Adam had anything to do with it? No, did anyone else in the Clippers organization have anything to do with it? No so why did the sponsers leave anyway, or players and fans threaten to protest knowing that they help pay the popcorn guy, security and everyone else that works in the clippers arena/organization... They have a family to feed right, but yet sponsers and players were still going to protest. It's all about the message you're sending.

And look at it this way, by them rejecting the money might generate more money and more donors!

Raidaz4Life
05-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Yeah, once again people take their idealism way too far. UCLA was completely stupid to turn down that money. I had a friend who suffered from lupus and could really use the help of quality research to improve her life.

Racism has absolutely nothing to do helping solve kidney disease.

MagicBucsSox
05-01-2014, 06:33 PM

Lmaoooooo you ppl just cry nowadays, your acting as if 3mil will make or break a major state school lol

Vinny642
05-01-2014, 06:37 PM
The reaction to Sterling's comments are 10x worse than his actual comments... It shows how misguided, weak, and sensitive America is.

Also hypocritical.

MagicBucsSox
05-01-2014, 06:53 PM
The reaction to Sterling's comments are 10x worse than his actual comments... It shows how misguided, weak, and sensitive America is.

Also hypocritical.
Lmaoooooooo OMG

MickeyMgl
05-01-2014, 07:22 PM

I agree. Unless he put a condition on it or something, like putting a plaque with his name on it somewhere, take the friggin' money and do some good with it. It's as if suddenly, part of being PC is shooting yourself in the foot to make sure everybody knows where you stand on an issue. He is rightly a persona non grata, but taking a donation from him - as long as there is no special recognition attached - is not an expression of affinity.

Edit: I had heard this story elsewhere, so I replied before reading the article and seeing that INDEED there would be a plaque and a research lab with his name on it. Well, consistent with my opinion stated above, now I feel glad that UCLA is not accepting his donation.

The Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP announced on Monday that it would no longer honor Sterling with a pre-planned "lifetime achievement" award. The organization's president said it would also be returning an "insignificant" donation that Sterling had made to the group.

It can't have been that insignificant if you're giving him Presidents Awards and MULTIPLE Lifetime Achievement Awards in spite of his horrendous track record of racial discrimination and prejudice. The sudden backtracking is so hypocritical.

Still, again here, I don't care how much money the NAACP took from Sterling in the past. Take as much as he's willing to offer. What's disgusting is that their past actions, and their original plan to honor him again this month, make it so easy to see the connection between his donations and the honors. They sold out, not by taking the money, but by giving something in return. The NAACP should lose a great deal of credibility for this (which is not to say that the causes they espouse should lose credibility).

Again here, I don't care how much money the NAACP took

MickeyMgl
05-01-2014, 07:36 PM
I would still accept the money, think of what it can do for research..

Would you tattoo Donald Sterling's name on your forehead for a $10 million donation? Think of what it can do for research.

Max.This
05-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Would you tattoo Donald Sterling's name on your forehead for a $10 million donation? Think of what it can do for research.

How is that relevant whatsoever. Think about your professors or other staff members in predominant research university that would kill for grants to conduct their research. All it takes is one team of academics/researchers to uncover slightest changes to make that leap forward. There were plenty of brilliant people who have gotten smaller grants and made bigger contributions to medicine. Many people will fail to find a cure, but all it takes is one group/ one team. If your child or family member is suffering from any disease or cancer, you would be mortified that a university put their social reputation over the bigger picture. To the people saying they will get more money by the publicity they get from rejecting sterlings donation. To those people i say where? who is writing that check? Is it you? How is it that it takes for publicity on racial discrimination that would then generate your interest in donating to cancer/disease research. What are their motives for choosing this opportunity to donate as opposed to the plenty of opportunities prior to the publicity. Shame on you people, cancer/diseases don't discriminate. It'll kill every person it can no matter what race, gender or religion you are

GiantsSwaGG
05-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Yeah, once again people take their idealism way too far. UCLA was completely stupid to turn down that money. I had a friend who suffered from lupus and could really use the help of quality research to improve her life.

Racism has absolutely nothing to do helping solve kidney disease.

So you're willing to lose money from other donors, money I'm pretty sure the millions that suffer from the same lupus

flea
05-02-2014, 06:49 AM
So you're willing to lose money from other donors, money I'm pretty sure the millions that suffer from the same lupus

What kind of heartless bastard isn't giving money to medical research just because someone they don't like is doing it? I don't see how this makes any sort of sense to anyone. I understand marketing, but this isn't a sport it's ****ing medical research for a university.

GiantsSwaGG
05-02-2014, 10:11 AM
What kind of heartless bastard isn't giving money to medical research just because someone they don't like is doing it? I don't see how this makes any sort of sense to anyone. I understand marketing, but this isn't a sport it's ****ing medical research for a university.

Trust me a lot it's cruel but that's America

flea
05-02-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't think you know what considerations go into a rich philanthropist giving money for medical research. There is no checklist to make sure racists haven't done the same thing.

MickeyMgl
05-07-2014, 08:15 PM

How is that relevant whatsoever.

You really don't see the relevance?

Think about your professors or other staff members in predominant research university that would kill for grants to conduct their research. All it takes is one team of academics/researchers to uncover slightest changes to make that leap forward. There were plenty of brilliant people who have gotten smaller grants and made bigger contributions to medicine. Many people will fail to find a cure, but all it takes is one group/ one team. If your child or family member is suffering from any disease or cancer, you would be mortified that a university put their social reputation over the bigger picture.

Their social reputation is a significant part of the big picture, and they could count on a big dip in future donations if they accepted a "tattoo" dedicated to Donald Sterling on their campus for this money. And that would be a tragedy.

To the people saying they will get more money by the publicity they get from rejecting sterlings donation. To those people i say where? who is writing that check? Is it you? How is it that it takes for publicity on racial discrimination that would then generate your interest in donating to cancer/disease research. What are their motives for choosing this opportunity to donate as opposed to the plenty of opportunities prior to the publicity.

What is HIS motive? If he wishes to donate the money, he can donate the money and not put a condition on it. Heck, he could still keep putting out the kind of ads he's become famous for, patting himself on the back for making a donation. It's just that the school won't be branded with something that has his name on it.

You really wouldn't have a problem sending your kid to Hitler University? Or would you be getting your wallet out for the Osama Bin Ladin Facility for Kidney Research? Sterling doesn't have to be as bad as those guys to have a negative impact on the school's reputation - which, as I pointed out, IS part of the bigger picture.

MickeyMgl
05-07-2014, 08:18 PM

Not a heartless bastard. Just probably somebody who will give it to some other research facility, or to another cause entirely. There's a limited amount of money, you know.

PhillyFaninLA
05-07-2014, 08:34 PM
I respect it, UCLA not excepting blood money

hugepatsfan
05-07-2014, 08:46 PM
I think they're hoping they get more than $3 million from people who become aware of their research through the press this has gotten.

joeyc77
05-07-2014, 09:28 PM
I respect it, UCLA not excepting blood money

Yup, definitely blood money. Dramatic much