PDA

View Full Version : Well, why is this okay?

MelanconMadness
04-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Just looking up past racism in sports, and I came across this.

"In December 2002, NBA star Shaquille O'Neal received media flak for saying "Tell [NBA center] Yao Ming, 'Ching chong yang, wah, ah soh'" during an interview on Fox Sports Net.O'Neal later said it was locker-room humor and he meant no offense. Yao believed that O'Neal was joking, but he said a lot of Asians would not see the humor.Yao joked, "Chinese is hard to learn. I had trouble with it when I was little." O'Neal added, "I mean, if I was the first one to do it, and the only one to do it, I could see what they're talking about. But if I offended anybody, I apologize."

Even if it was said as a "joke", how is this any different?

ManRam
04-29-2014, 08:15 PM
1. It's not OK
2. There's a difference between making a really dumb racial joke and being an obvious, full-fledged, hateful racist. Hell, there's a big difference between uttering a slur once in the heat of the moment (a la Cooper) and what Sterling said. I think it should be pretty obvious
3. There's a difference between words and actions. Sterling was acting upon his racism, demanding his GF do certain things and not do others. He has a sad history of even worse things that have physically impacted people. Again, it doesn't compare to a stupid (in every meaning of the word) joke...or again, even a slur. Neither are right, but they can wrong on different magnitudes.

Touchdownboy
04-29-2014, 08:15 PM
USA is a backwards nation. If you've traveled overseas, this is not knew

If you are White skinned and remain living in the USA, you have no standards of dignity.

Jenceman
04-29-2014, 08:19 PM

If you are White skinned and remain living in the USA, you have no standards of dignity.

Pretty sure you have the most backwards view of anyone on this board, judging off like the 10 posts i've seen of you. Then again, you're just a ****** troll either way.

ManRam
04-29-2014, 08:20 PM

Go away, MacFitz

NBA_Starter
04-29-2014, 08:20 PM
It is not any different, racism should not be tolerated period.

ManRam
04-29-2014, 08:23 PM
It is not any different, racism should not be tolerated period.

Who's your favorite comedian? Odds are, with that logic, whomever it is deserves a $2.5M fine and a lifetime ban from comedy.

There are levels to it. Racism is not OK, but there is indeed a huge difference between a dumb racially-insensitive joke and making flat out racist comments and proving you live a life consumed by racism.

Touchdownboy
04-29-2014, 08:24 PM
NBA = racist league. Wake up White Americans

krazylegz
04-29-2014, 08:26 PM
just heard the audio....just seems like some annoying girl trying to coax and annoy an old man

TheMightyHumph
04-29-2014, 08:29 PM
1. It's not OK
2. There's a difference between making a really dumb racial joke and being an obvious, full-fledged, hateful racist. Hell, there's a big difference between uttering a slur once in the heat of the moment (a la Cooper) and what Sterling said. I think it should be pretty obvious
3. There's a difference between words and actions. Sterling was acting upon his racism, demanding his GF do certain things and not do others. He has a sad history of even worse things that have physically impacted people. Again, it doesn't compare to a stupid (in every meaning of the word) joke...or again, even a slur. Neither are right, but they can wrong on different magnitudes.

What Sterling said was in a private conversation with his ho........er, girlfriend.

And no guy ever tells his girlfriend what to do and what not to do, even if she has embezzled $1.8 mil from her sugar daddy.

NYJ - NYY
04-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Who cares anymore really ... It's ****in words... I hate everyone equally each race has terrible people in it that cause the racist slurs to blanket people but who gives a **** lol seriously it's ****ing words out reactions is what makes it offensive if everyone could just realize in today's world there 827279383738282 more things to worry about and enjoy in life than someone saying words... Everyone live life for themselves **** who doesn't like it and keep liven

P&GRealist
04-29-2014, 08:36 PM
Dammit, ban Shaq from INSIDE THE NBA!

Let him star in his own show OUTSIDE THE NBA!

thomass
04-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Who's your favorite comedian? Odds are, with that logic, whomever it is deserves a $2.5M fine and a lifetime ban from comedy.

There are levels to it. Racism is not OK, but there is indeed a huge difference between a dumb racially-insensitive joke and making flat out racist comments and proving you live a life consumed by racism.

what if it was kyle korver that made the joke?

TheMightyHumph
04-29-2014, 08:45 PM
what if it was kyle korver that made the joke?

Kyle looks like he has some Asian blood, doesn't he?

thomass
04-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Kyle looks like he has some Asian blood, doesn't he?

racist bro

USMCLaker
04-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Okkk

Midnightbottle
04-29-2014, 08:53 PM
meh americas a bunch of babies now a days. If someone isnt *****ing bout something its a bad day.

SwatTeam
04-29-2014, 08:57 PM
I don't understand what's so difficult for people to get. Sterling had this coming. He's like Al Capone, it wasn't the murder or organized crime that he was nailed for - it was tax evasion. This is Sterling's tax evasion.

I also don't know why some people in other threads and posts are arguing its a violation of the 1st amendment. It's not. Sterling is not being prosecuted and sentenced to jail or fined by the U.S. government. He is allowed to state his opinion (in private or public) without persecution of the law. However, the court of public opinion is what will pine and tar him as we are seeing. He's an idiot and a racist. At the end of the day, don't say sheet around people you don't trust if you are in a position of power in public or private. Sterling forgot some important rules to being rich and famous: Don't trust anyone and Don't put yourself in a compromising position. He did exactly that. He should be mad at himself for the position he's in now. He let his guard down and an ugly whore took him down. What a pity.

Likewise, the NBA board of governors, aka the 30 families (29 in this case), ruled he was a threat to their business so they banned him for life and fined him (vote still pending but its all but certain). Basically, we tolerated you for a while now but now you're fuking with our money so you gotta go. All within their rights to do so according to their own NBA constitution - something Sterling at least knew of and believed in I would assume. This has nothing to do with the 1st amendment of the US constitution mind you. I dare any one of you to say something ignorant and racist at work and see how long you keep your job. That's exactly what happened here. The difference is Sterling will be handsomely rewarded with over a billion dollars in compensation. Not bad. The lesson: the rich always get richer, even when they seem not to.

thomass
04-29-2014, 09:05 PM
I don't understand what's so difficult for people to get. Sterling had this coming. He's like Al Capone, it wasn't the murder or organized crime that he was nailed for - it was tax evasion. This is Sterling's tax evasion.

I also don't know why some people in other threads and posts are arguing its a violation of the 1st amendment. It's not. Sterling is not being prosecuted and sentenced to jail or fined by the U.S. government. He is allowed to state his opinion (in private or public) without persecution of the law. However, the court of public opinion is what will pine and tar him as we are seeing. He's an idiot and a racist. At the end of the day, don't say sheet around people you don't trust if you are in a position of power in public or private. Sterling forgot some important rules to being rich and famous: Don't trust anyone and Don't put yourself in a compromising position. He did exactly that. He should be mad at himself for the position he's in now. He let his guard down and an ugly whore took him down. What a pity.

Likewise, the NBA board of governors, aka the 30 families (29 in this case), ruled he was a threat to their business so they banned him for life and fined him (vote still pending but its all but certain). Basically, we tolerated you for a while now but now you're fuking with our money so you gotta go. All within their rights to do so according to their own NBA constitution - something Sterling at least knew of and believed in I would assume. This has nothing to do with the 1st amendment of the US constitution mind you. I dare any one of you to say something ignorant and racist at work and see how long you keep your job. That's exactly what happened here. The difference is Sterling will be handsomely rewarded with over a billion dollars in compensation. Not bad. The lesson: the rich always get richer, even when they seem not to.

just to clarify. he wasn't at work. the conversation was held privately with his gf (and was illegally recorded). but ultimately it's always about the money. the nba is protecting its investment.

MelanconMadness
04-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Then you have Isaiah Thomas' comments on 30 for 30 two weeks ago about Larry bird only considered as one of the greatest because he was white, if he were black he would just be a good player. Silver better understand that you cannot punish one and let others slide in the future.

goingfor28
04-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Pretty sure Shaq at least said it as a joke.

SwatTeam
04-29-2014, 09:16 PM
just to clarify. he wasn't at work. the conversation was held privately with his gf (and was illegally recorded). but ultimately it's always about the money. the nba is protecting its investment.

Doesn't matter if he was at work or not. If I had an audio tape of you saying something racist and played it to your bosses, you will most likely be terminated as well. When you become an employee and sign a contract, you agree to the rules the company establishes. Some of these rules can technically be more strict than the laws established by common law. In essence, you aren't getting fired because you're racist. You're getting fired because you're ultimately hurting the business and bringing in negative attention.

For instance, I work for a large corporation. Before I began work, I signed a contract that among many things said I could not be caught on the grounds smoking a cigarette or using tobacco products which would result in termination. I can also be drug tested randomly for tobacco products, which could result in termination. Even if I use tobacco products in the privacy of my own home, if they decided to drug test me for nicotine and I'm positive, I'm subject to termination. Is smoking tobacco against the law? No its not, but I agreed to the rule by signing the contract. Read the fine print.

MelanconMadness
04-29-2014, 09:17 PM
Pretty sure Shaq at least said it as a joke.

So that's when it's acceptable? If it's a joke?

jimm120
04-29-2014, 09:18 PM
1. It's not OK

This....

and wow, what a dumb thread this is. SOme dumb racial joke compared to real racism...real hate towards others simply by the color of their skin.

smith&wesson
04-29-2014, 09:20 PM
1. It's not OK

that's just it... well said.

BigCityofDreams
04-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Then you have Isaiah Thomas' comments on 30 for 30 two weeks ago about Larry bird only considered as one of the greatest because he was white, if he were black he would just be a good player. Silver better understand that you cannot punish one and let others slide in the future.

Isiah is an ex player and analyst on tv.

LJ is a rep for the knicks with no real power.

Shaq caught heat for it and was taken to task. If they were fining players for inflammatory comments back then he would have been fined.

smith&wesson
04-29-2014, 09:22 PM
This....

and wow, what a dumb thread this is. SOme dumb racial joke compared to real racism...real hate towards others simply by the color of their skin.

The thread to me, looks like someone trying to understand the difference. that's not dumb.

goingfor28
04-29-2014, 09:22 PM

Started typing more but Nvm bc you're fkn impossible
Shaq isn't racist. But u seem to just like to nitpick everything.

MelanconMadness
04-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Racism is racism no matter how you cut it. Just because he says hes joking doesn't make it ethical, or that he is indeed actually joking. This is exactly the problem. It's a joke when non Caucasians make racist comments

thomass
04-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Doesn't matter if he was at work or not. If I had an audio tape of you saying something racist and played it to your bosses, you will most likely be terminated as well. When you become an employee and sign a contract, you agree to the rules the company establishes. Some of these rules can technically be more strict than the laws established by common law. In essence, you aren't getting fired because you're racist. You're getting fired because you're ultimately hurting the business and bringing in negative attention.

For instance, I work for a large corporation. Before I began work, I signed a contract that among many things said I could not be caught on the grounds smoking a cigarette or using tobacco products which would result in termination. I can also be drug tested randomly for tobacco products, which could result in termination. Even if I use tobacco products in the privacy of my own home, if they decided to drug test me for nicotine and I'm positive, I'm subject to termination. Is smoking tobacco against the law? No its not, but I agreed to the rule by signing the contract. Read the fine print.

tobacco testing? is this a joke lol? in most states, employers cannot drug test employees without "reasonable suspicion." Many employees have successfully sued their employers for wrongful termination on this topic.

anyways, i understand the point you are making.

MelanconMadness
04-29-2014, 09:28 PM

How do you know he's not racist? Are you close with him?

Midnightbottle
04-29-2014, 09:28 PM
Racism is racism no matter how you cut it. Just because he says hes joking doesn't make it ethical, or that he is indeed actually joking. This is exactly the problem. It's a joke when non Caucasians make racist comments

I agree that there are double standards but not for Shaq. That dude isnt racist at all.

smith&wesson
04-29-2014, 09:31 PM
Isiah is an ex player and analyst on tv.

LJ is a rep for the knicks with no real power.

Shaq caught heat for it and was taken to task. If they were fining players for inflammatory comments back then he would have been fined.

still, he has a point... those are all great and yet unfortunate examples of ignorance and how it can hurt..

Its important to remember that just because it was addressed before, doesn't mean it shouldn't now. In the past if it has happened perhaps there was a punishment handed out but simply not severe enough to make a statement.

Also when you know someone is for certain "not just joking" it turns in to something else entirely. The jokes aren't okay either and should fade and stop as well. its unethical to make jokes like that, and we all know it hence why you dont see jokes like that being posted.. we know its not right.

thomass
04-29-2014, 09:32 PM

Shaq isn't racist, but there is definitely some inequality in how we react to actions/events that are declared racist by the media. Compare the outrage to nick cannon's whiteface to that white girl who did blackface. It is unfair sometimes.

SwatTeam
04-29-2014, 09:32 PM
tobacco testing? is this a joke lol? in most states, employers cannot drug test employees without "reasonable suspicion." Many employees have successfully sued their employers for wrongful termination on this topic.

anyways, i understand the point you are making.

I agree with you, its a pretty stupid rule. LOL. I had to do a double take when I read that in my contract. But the company I work for is involved with providing healthcare to people. We can't demand our patients to stop smoking cigarettes then go outside and light one up ourselves. I understand the principle behind it but its a little too much. Regardless, I gotta pay the bills. Glad my rambling made sense to you though.

BigCityofDreams
04-29-2014, 09:41 PM
still, he has a point... those are all great and yet unfortunate examples of ignorance and how it can hurt..

Its important to remember that just because it was addressed before, doesn't mean it shouldn't now. In the past if it has happened perhaps there was a punishment handed out but simply not severe enough to make a statement.

Also when you know someone is for certain "not just joking" it turns in to something else entirely. The jokes aren't okay either and should fade and stop as well. its unethical to make jokes like that, and we all know it hence why you dont see jokes like that being posted.. we know its not right.

True and more often than not ppl are held accountable it might not happen all the time but it does. Tim Hardaway made anti gay remarks, lost his job, and was taken to task by the media.

TheMightyHumph
04-29-2014, 09:49 PM
racist bro

Really? Why is that?

TheMightyHumph
04-29-2014, 09:52 PM

Like Capone. So Sterling should be expecting some jail time?

TheMightyHumph
04-29-2014, 09:54 PM

That won't happen

USMCLaker
04-29-2014, 10:00 PM

Wake up white America and be afraid of colors and rainbows and unicorns.

2-ONE-5
04-29-2014, 10:02 PM
it was 12 years ago who gives an F?

IndyRealist
04-29-2014, 10:07 PM

People don't understand their rights, which is why everyone cries "FREEDOM OF SPEECH!" whenever they get their posts deleted here.

TheMightyHumph
04-29-2014, 10:08 PM

Sterling is not an employee, he is an employer.

The 'contractual obligations' clause is pretty vague. Sterling didn't do anything to harm the league. His ho did the harm to the league.

If this goes to court, Sterling's lawyers are gonna want to know what the NBA knew about Sterling and when they knew it.

They will also want to know what the NBA knows about the rest of the owners, and when they knew it. Interoffice memos. E-mails. Phone messages. Could get very ugly for the NBA. Subpoenas. Cuban is already scared.

IndyRealist
04-29-2014, 10:14 PM
1. It's not OK

To add to that, consider that 12 years ago we didn't have the 24/7 tabloid reporting, TMZ, or the massive internet presence we have today. This level of story might not have been picked up by a CNN except in a 20 sec sound bite. So the majority of Americans wouldn't even know about it, and corporate sponsors would not feel pressured into pulling their ad money, and so the NBA would not feel pressured to axe the offender.

Yes, NBA fans knew about it. But what are the odds you could stop someone on the street, today, and they be able to repeat what Shaq said?

Hardaway Here
04-29-2014, 10:14 PM

Too bad Rodman was the one that actually said that all Thomas did was agree.

IndyRealist
04-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Sterling is not an employee, he is an employer.

The 'contractual obligations' clause is pretty vague. Sterling didn't do anything to harm the league. His ho did the harm to the league.

If this goes to court, Sterling's lawyers are gonna want to know what the NBA knew about Sterling and when they knew it.

They will also want to know what the NBA knows about the rest of the owners, and when they knew it. Interoffice memos. E-mails. Phone messages. Could get very ugly for the NBA. Subpoenas. Cuban is already scared.

His words, not his ex's, cost the league millions in advertising revenue and tarnished the reputation of the league.

And this is not going to court. If you've read anything, at all, on the matter, you'd know that the NBA owners cannot sue to overturn a ruling by the NBA. Decisions by the NBA are legally binding arbitration. Sterling waived his right to trial when he bought the team.

Ninjago
04-29-2014, 10:24 PM
No excuses for Donald Sterling...he got what he deserved.

BUT....how is it that Jay-Z gets away with wearing a racist medallion to a Nets game and next to no media coverage? When asked if Jay-z believed in 5-percenter ideology he said he does....a group that is completely racist against white people.

There should be no double standard but yet, we all know there is..

Duncan = Donkey
04-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Its ok because he is not offending a black dude.

Chronz
04-29-2014, 11:14 PM
Jest is jest

Serious is serious

JasonJohnHorn
04-29-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm not cool with the 'ching-chong' $#!T to be honest. There is a difference between that and what Sterling did. Shaq may have said it in a selfdeprecating manner, lampooning his own ignorance of the language but NOT expressing dislike of hatred and NOT excluding anybody. It was NOT cool. It was uncalled for and it was in VERY bad taste.

The tone and intent though is different. Sterling wanted to exclude people of a certain perceived race and wanted his girlfriend to keep her friends secret. That demonstrates some VERY twisted thinking.

cmellofan15
04-29-2014, 11:18 PM

BUT....how is it that Jay-Z gets away with wearing a racist medallion to a Nets game and next to no media coverage? When asked if Jay-z believed in 5-percenter ideology he said he does....a group that is completely racist against white people.

you do realize Jay Z owns about .08% of the Nets right? he means about as much to the Nets as LJ means to NYK

EDIT: I'm not condoning it any way but the only equivalent to this situation in the black community is if Michael Jordan himself was caught saying blatantly racist things and it were released. If MJ said something to the extent of what Sterling said about any race it would be just as bad, if not worse because he's representing 100% of black principal owners in sports.

slashsnake
04-29-2014, 11:36 PM

That is an awesome bit of logic there. Do what you want behind closed doors no matter who it actually affects and you are ok. If only those nosy neighbors left Michael Vick to himself he'd still be beloved by all. It wasn't his fault his secret got out.

Crackadalic
04-29-2014, 11:40 PM
There is a difference between saying something in a joking matter and saying something with so much hate in your heart

Both sides are still insensitive but look at it this way

If someone told me all I eat is chicken because I'm black my reaction would be to say shut the hell up but laugh it off in a joking matter and both me and the individual will still be cool

If someone told me the same thing with eyes that look down on me as if I'm a second class citizen the. My reaction would be much more hateful to the individual

It's backwards thinking but that's how it is.

east fb knicks
04-29-2014, 11:52 PM

bro trust me you don't know shyt about god body just stfu u look stupid the man has the right to believe in any religion he wants you having a problem with it is racist:facepalm:

tmacsc2
04-29-2014, 11:54 PM
Dave Chapelle makes racism hilarious!

slashsnake
04-30-2014, 12:53 AM
bro trust me you don't know shyt about god body just stfu u look stupid the man has the right to believe in any religion he wants you having a problem with it is racist:facepalm:

lol... someone really likes their racist religions.

Christian Identity is basically a white supremist religion bringing the worst parts of the KKK and the Nazi party into a theology that says non-white races were pre-adam and eve called the "beasts of the field" in the bible, and not even human. That blacks are human rodents, unclean and compelled by their satanic ancestry.

So, are you a racist? Or would you be fine if James Dolan started promoting his religion and got Phil Jackson involved? Just cheer them on like normal and be fine knowing Phil Jackson supports a religion that calls the black man an "abomination"?

To me, neither of those "religions" are something I would want to see people associated with. Has nothing to do with being racist. I dislike both of them.

Mr_Jones
04-30-2014, 01:15 AM
i lick carrots

DaBear
04-30-2014, 01:17 AM

Even if his religion preaches hate against white people?

interceptionboy
04-30-2014, 01:59 AM
That is an awesome bit of logic there. Do what you want behind closed doors no matter who it actually affects and you are ok. If only those nosy neighbors left Michael Vick to himself he'd still be beloved by all. It wasn't his fault his secret got out.
Who did Sterling kill?

I missed that ESPN report

IKnowHoops
04-30-2014, 02:00 AM

"In December 2002, NBA star Shaquille O'Neal received media flak for saying "Tell [NBA center] Yao Ming, 'Ching chong yang, wah, ah soh'" during an interview on Fox Sports Net.O'Neal later said it was locker-room humor and he meant no offense. Yao believed that O'Neal was joking, but he said a lot of Asians would not see the humor.Yao joked, "Chinese is hard to learn. I had trouble with it when I was little." O'Neal added, "I mean, if I was the first one to do it, and the only one to do it, I could see what they're talking about. But if I offended anybody, I apologize."

Ignorance and cultural stupidity on Shaq's part. It was some over the line trash talk to new big rival garnering a lot of his attention.

There is a difference between ignorance and racism. Not all racists are ignorant. Not all ignorant people are racist. A lot of the time people are both ignorant and racist. Sterling is not ignorant, he's very smart, but he is racist. Shaq at the time was not racist, but he was ignorant. I used to call Asians Orientals, because I was ignorant. My home girl checked me and said thats not what you say. Since then Ive always said Asians. Sometimes you simply are to stupid to know how bad your messing up. That was Shaq at that time.

numba1CHANGsta
04-30-2014, 02:03 AM
Shaq made it more as a "funny" joke rather to try to offend him, this is nothing compared to what Sterling said. Like Charles Barkley said, if you make a comment like Shaq did you're just an idiot, but if you make comments like Sterling did then it's a racist act.

Max.This
04-30-2014, 02:09 AM
Its ok because he is not offending a black dude.

Yup.

slashsnake
04-30-2014, 02:19 AM
Yup.

No I am pretty sure if Shaq was losing millions in lawsuits for his using his power to oppress asians, had been constantly talking to others poorly of asians, and was caught on tape saying he didn't want asians around him, this would be different. Had Sterling made a fried chicken joke to someone who was african american and who was a friend of his, He wouldn't be suspended for life and on the verge of being forced to sell his team.

While I wouldn't call either of these good behavior its like saying that slapping someone is the same as killing them. Sure, both are an attack on another person, but if you don't see the difference you are pretty blind.

ewing
04-30-2014, 07:55 AM

B/C the guys who make people watch and invest weren't unwilling to take the floor with Shaq b/c of his comments. B/C advertisers were not going to stop using the NBA as a vehicle to hawk their products b/c of what Shaq said. I'm assuming you are a younger guy and it blows my mind how many people in the current generation think all things have to be equal and governed by air tight unilateral rules. Sterling said **** that alienated the guys that make the league valuable and the co. that invest in the league. See ya

flea
04-30-2014, 08:04 AM
There is a difference between saying something in a joking matter and saying something with so much hate in your heart

I'm glad you're able to impute what is in Donald Sterling's heart, this must be a valuable and lucrative talent.

ghettosean
04-30-2014, 08:08 AM

You are really comparing this to what Sterling said... "White Jews are 100% - 150% more important than black jews... etc... etc..." :S

Really???

WadeKobe
04-30-2014, 10:59 AM

You sound like a butt-hurt white male.

Racism is not racism. That is, it is not all equal. Power is a real thing in the world and it has real effects on real people.

White people who are racist, in general, hold far more social, political, and economic power and, therefore, white racism agains minorities is potentially far more toxic and damaging than minority racism against other minorities or minority racism against whites.

The idea that "it's all the same" is simply an attempt by white people to get power back.

Racism is never "okay". But that does not mean (a) a racist joke is as bad as real racism or (b) that all racism is equal or equally as bad.

WadeKobe
04-30-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm glad you're able to impute what is in Donald Sterling's heart, this must be a valuable and lucrative talent.

Oh come off of it. He has made clear through repeated incidents of racism and discrimination what is "in his heart".

NoahH
04-30-2014, 11:13 AM
1. It's not OK

+1

/thread

torocan
04-30-2014, 11:14 AM

Stupidest logic ever. As in everything, there are degrees of severity.

Tell you what, I'll let you slap me, then I'll pull out a baseball bat and beat you within an inch of your life. After all, they're both technically assault, right? So they're both equally wrong and deserve the same punishment by your logic, right?

Racial epithet < racial exclusion < racial discrimination leading to reduced opportunity

Yes, they're all racism, but they are by no means equal.

That you continue in this line of debate indicates either a complete inability to distinguish the difference, or you are trolling.

JWO35
04-30-2014, 11:16 AM
There's only one thing the nba can do...put an asterisk by all of shaq's accomplishments & stats. Forget the fact that Yao Ming himself said he took no offense to shaq and took it as a joke to his hard to learn native language.

blahblahyoutoo
04-30-2014, 10:54 PM

you obviously didn't get the memo. black people cannot be racist.

bucketss
04-30-2014, 11:04 PM
its funny how some people are looking for any racist comment made by blacks so they could compare it what sterling did. are you guys that defensive of that situation?

Lakers Ghost
05-01-2014, 12:26 AM
Shaq made it more as a "funny" joke rather to try to offend him, this is nothing compared to what Sterling said. Like Charles Barkley said, if you make a comment like Shaq did you're just an idiot, but if you make comments like Sterling did then it's a racist act.

During the Olympics Spain national team mocked the Chinese by making their eyes like them. As long as there are many races and people of different color there is going to be racism.

Jenceman
05-01-2014, 01:17 AM
you obviously didn't get the memo. black people cannot be racist.

You have clearly proven yourself more than capable of being racist however.

ImgoodHarbaughU
05-01-2014, 01:34 AM
Every single race on the globe has racism black people are just the only ones who cry and throw hissy fits about it every time it happens.

east fb knicks
05-01-2014, 01:38 AM
lol... someone really likes their racist religions.

Christian Identity is basically a white supremist religion bringing the worst parts of the KKK and the Nazi party into a theology that says non-white races were pre-adam and eve called the "beasts of the field" in the bible, and not even human. That blacks are human rodents, unclean and compelled by their satanic ancestry.

So, are you a racist? Or would you be fine if James Dolan started promoting his religion and got Phil Jackson involved? Just cheer them on like normal and be fine knowing Phil Jackson supports a religion that calls the black man an "abomination"?

To me, neither of those "religions" are something I would want to see people associated with. Has nothing to do with being racist. I dislike both of them.
:laugh: :crazy:

Even if his religion preaches hate against white people?

again if you don't know god body stfu im not god body im actually Christian but I have family in it in no way shape or form does gb promote hate against any race:facepalm: lmao you guys are making it sound like the black kkk:bs:

blastmasta26
05-01-2014, 01:40 AM
Every single race on the globe has racism black people are just the only ones who cry and throw hissy fits about it every time it happens.

How much racism do white people as a whole face? That's a poor generalization to make since it ignores severity. Every minority has faced racism, true, but black people have been systematically oppressed more than other races (in the US). Historical context justifies higher sensitivity.

Fnom11
05-01-2014, 02:00 AM
I 100% guarantee every single person on this board has once made a racist joke at one point in their life. Sometimes you people are ridiculous. Actually a lot of the time you people are ridiculous.

Fnom11
05-01-2014, 02:01 AM
How much racism do white people as a whole face? That's a poor generalization to make since it ignores severity. Every minority has faced racism, true, but black people have been systematically oppressed more than other races (in the US). Historical context justifies higher sensitivity.

College scholarships are actually a HUGE one for white Americans.

Edit- Arguably so too. White Americans are the majority in the US.

Mike Lient
05-01-2014, 02:50 AM

White people crying racism.. How rich :p

Anyways this entire thread is unwarranted. No one called for Riley Cooper to be banned from the NFL when he called a bouncer the N word. People naturally reacted angrily but then Cooper apologized and we all moved on. I don't get how people can't distinguish the difference between the one time use of a slur and repeated offenses of hateful racism (including a recorded racist rant!). Of course, some of you are willingly ignoring that. I do find it ironic how incidents of extreme racism always highlight which people actually harbor racist sentiments :p

BigCityofDreams
05-01-2014, 12:41 PM
:laugh: :crazy:

again if you don't know god body stfu im not god body im actually Christian but I have family in it in no way shape or form does gb promote hate against any race:facepalm: lmao you guys are making it sound like the black kkk:bs:

I heard callers on a NY radio station mention the same thing when the Sterling story was on fire on Monday. This is what happens when ppl read an article in a newspaper and then point to it when a situation like this occurs.

BigCityofDreams
05-01-2014, 02:38 PM
its funny how some people are looking for any racist comment made by blacks so they could compare it what sterling did. are you guys that defensive of that situation?

It's mostly a tit for tat kind of thing but you're right it does happen often.

Racism for some ppl is tough to talk about and even tougher to address. You can tell discussions like this make some members uncomfortable. As I mentioned earlier in this thread or another one when a member said this is a wake up call for black ppl. No it's not we understand that racism is alive and breathing. But for some white people not all repeat not all but for some situations like this are eye opening. Hell on this board you had members say "I had no idea ppl still thought like that" Why so surprised?? It's not a post racial society as many assumed. That doesn't mean it's hell on earth but it damn sure not a utopia that ppl felt we entered on Nov 08.

Qwertys
05-01-2014, 03:03 PM

That's because they always like to play the victims

slaker619
05-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Double Standards, white people have OD history of being racist compared to a black man talking bad of another minority

BigCityofDreams
05-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Can't the same be said about everyone

Snapshot
05-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Troll thread. I honestly can't believe how some people are so ignorant and biased to not see the difference between a flat out unapologetic racist statement, and someone making a racist joke in poor taste.

Had Donald said something along the lines of black people loving watermelon and fried chicken, or not knowing who their father's were etc etc, it wouldve been racist and classless, but would just be more of a stereotype kind of thing that I don't think wouldve warranted as much attention, nor evoked as much anger as his recent statements have. I can take a racially fueled joke, we all make em, doesnt mean we are racists to the core and have a true hatred towards people of a different race.

But u guys keep reaching, keep trying to justify the things he said to feed your deep natural racist nature....the past few threads exposed a lot of you...sad.

FOBolous
05-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Because, for some reason, society thinks it's ok to be racist to Asians. Anytime someone is on record making racial slurs towards Asian, it's brushed off as a joke and we are told shut up and take it....because we are stereotyped as the "model minority" and the "perpetual foreigner." They think we have no right to complain because a specific segment of our demographic is so successful and that we should be greaful of the opportunities America has given us that our supposed homeland our couldn't....doesn't matter if most of us are born here in America and America IS our homeland. Our cultural tendency of adhering to the proverb "the nail that sticks out gets hammered" causes us, as a group, to
keep our head down, blend in, and stay out of trouble makes us easy targets.

BigCityofDreams
05-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Because, for some reason, society thinks it's ok to be racist to Asians. Anytime someone is on record making racial slurs towards Asian, it's brushed off as a joke and we are told shut up and take it....because we are stereotyped as the "model minority" and the "perpetual foreigner." They think we have no right to complain because a specific segment of our demographic is so successful and that we should be greaful of the opportunities America has given us that our supposed homeland our couldn't....doesn't matter if most of us are born here in America and America IS our homeland. Our cultural tendency of adhering to the proverb "the nail that sticks out gets hammered" causes us, as a group, to
keep our head down, blend in, and stay out of trouble makes us easy targets.

That's messed up. Does this get brought up in the Asian community? Is it something that a majority of Asians voice their displeasure with??

Goose17
05-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Troll thread. I honestly can't believe how some people are so ignorant and biased to not see the difference between a flat out unapologetic racist statement, and someone making a racist joke in poor taste.

Had Donald said something along the lines of black people loving watermelon and fried chicken, or not knowing who their father's were etc etc, it wouldve been racist and classless, but would just be more of a stereotype kind of thing that I don't think wouldve warranted as much attention, nor evoked as much anger as his recent statements have. I can take a racially fueled joke, we all make em, doesnt mean we are racists to the core and have a true hatred towards people of a different race.

But u guys keep reaching, keep trying to justify the things he said to feed your deep natural racist nature....the past few threads exposed a lot of you...sad.

This^

Jenceman
05-01-2014, 05:15 PM

Haha you do this every time a race thread pops up. "Blacks need to stop complaining, they all like to play the victim".

Again, these situations happen and we all see who the racists are. It's amazing.