PDA

View Full Version : If the Heat face a weaker team in the ECF, would the NBA fix it?

j-bay
04-29-2014, 06:27 PM
You know there is something that I have been thinking for the last couple of days. Lets say the Heat do make it to the ECF and the Wizards do win the next two rounds. My ? is would tbe NBA fix it so the bigger market Heat get in vs the smaller market Wizards. The NBA loves to make money and have great ratings, and i'm sure they see the Heat in the finals vs having an unknown Wizards team come in.

FriedTofuz
04-29-2014, 06:47 PM
It's not like the wizard nor raptors nor nets could beat the heat anyways. :laugh2:

ManRam
04-29-2014, 07:12 PM
It's weird how the league is always fixing things in favor of the better teams. Funny how that works!

bleedprple&gold
04-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Why would they need to fix it to help the Heat? The Heat are the better team and will win anyway. Dumb thread.

bucketss
04-29-2014, 07:24 PM
why would the league fix against such a trash team - now if it were the Raptors than , yes, the fix would be on.

jason17
04-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Actully wizards played the heat tough . Heat would win but if vs wiz the series be 4-2 heat wall and beal would have to be elite to beat the heat but there not there yet

jason17
04-29-2014, 07:33 PM
This conference will be bettwr next year .

2-ONE-5
04-29-2014, 07:42 PM
is miami even a bigger market than DC? doesnt really matter the raps or wiz arent ready to make that leap and compete with the heat on that level

BALLER R
04-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Who cares, It's gonna be a Raptors vs Wizards ECF anyways.

ManRam
04-29-2014, 07:52 PM
is miami even a bigger market than DC? doesnt really matter the raps or wiz arent ready to make that leap and compete with the heat on that level

There's multiple ways to answer that. The Washington TV market as a whole is much bigger, as is its population and so on. But Miami certainly has more pull and is a bigger NBA TV market right now...arguably the league's best (Forbes said it was #1 last season).

I don't think the league is in the business of rigging series like this (or at all). I mean, why jeopardize the sanctity of the league by rigging Miami vs. Washington? Seems like the reward -- especially given the probability that Miami just handles it naturally -- doesn't at all even come close to outweighing the risk.

Avenged
04-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Having Washington in the final would be HUGE. The whole nation would be rooting for them. There is no bigger underdog and cinderella story than that happening.

j-bay
04-29-2014, 07:56 PM
There's multiple ways to answer that. The Washington TV market as a whole is much bigger, as is its population and so on. But Miami certainly has more pull and is a bigger NBA TV market right now...arguably the league's best (Forbes said it was #1 last season).

I don't think the league is in the business of rigging series like this (or at all). I mean, why jeopardize the sanctity of the league by rigging Miami vs. Washington? Seems like the reward -- especially given the probability that Miami just handles it naturally -- doesn't at all even come close to outweighing the risk.

This is the ? i'm asking. Thanks for the answer.

ManRam
04-29-2014, 07:57 PM
This is the ? i'm asking. The NBA loves money and ratings.

But do you think the increase they'd get by getting Miami to the Finals as opposed to Washington outweighs the risk of actually having to fix it? I mean, if word got out...especially PROOF...that would do sooooo much damage it's not even funny. If they fix games as regularly as fans think, you'd think word and proof would get out eventually.

The answer is: it's not worth it.

j-bay
04-29-2014, 08:12 PM
But do you think the increase they'd get by getting Miami to the Finals as opposed to Washington outweighs the risk of actually having to fix it? I mean, if word got out...especially PROOF...that would do sooooo much damage it's not even funny. If they fix games as regularly as fans think, you'd think word and proof would get out eventually.

The answer is: it's not worth it.

The risk is there, but the heat are one of most recognized teams in the states and the world. And lets not forget about James. My ? is how interested would the fans worldwide be about the Wizards. People don't know John Wall vs James or Wade. I'm hoping that if the Wizards do make the ECF, that they become a more likable team. Also lets not forget the Wizards were not on ESPN, TNT, or ABC alot like the Heat, Knicks, Nets, or Bulls. We only appered i believe 2-3 times.

ManRam
04-29-2014, 08:18 PM
The risk is there, but the heat are one of most recognized teams in the states and the world. And lets not forget about James. My ? is how interested would the fans worldwide be about the Wizards. People don't know John Wall vs James or Wade. I'm hoping that if the Wizards do make the ECF, that they become a more likable team. Also lets not forget the Wizards were not on ESPN, TNT, or ABC alot like the Heat, Knicks, Nets, or Bulls. We only appered i believe 2-3 times.

Few will deny that the Heat are a bigger draw. That's pretty obvious. I think the Wiz would be a strong draw, certainly not as big.

It doesn't mean the league is going to fix EVERY series in which a bigger market/more popular team is facing a smaller market/less popular team. And again, why get involved when that more popular team also happens to be the superior team? It's just dumb to think they'd risk it.

Dade County
04-29-2014, 09:14 PM
You know there is something that I have been thinking for the last couple of days. Lets say the Heat do make it to the ECF and the Wizards do win the next two rounds. My ? is would tbe NBA fix it so the bigger market Heat get in vs the smaller market Wizards. The NBA loves to make money and have great ratings, and i'm sure they see the Heat in the finals vs having an unknown Wizards team come in.

If the HEAT and the Wz (if HEAT lol) make it to the ECF, then the league should be happy to have two small market teams do so well in the same season.

If the HEAT didn't have Wade or Lbj on the team, would you still consider the HEAT franchise a big market... NO! you wouldn't.

When Tim Hardaway and Zo played for the HEAT did you consider the Miami HEAT, a big market team?... NO! you didn't.

slashsnake
04-29-2014, 09:30 PM
That is a good question. Is it just a coincidence that the NBA's top two favorite franchises, Celtics and Lakers have made up about half of the finals partipants? I don't think so.

I think if the heat were a weaker team, without Lebron, looking more like the expansion heat, the NBA wouldn't fix their games. Lets face it, they are popular because they are good.

FriedTofuz
04-29-2014, 09:42 PM
washington will sweept the pacers/ hawks, gortat and nene will be problems for the Heat's post D.

USMCLaker
04-29-2014, 10:06 PM
I agree I think the fix is in, if it's not fixed than someone explain to me why is it that the best teams in the league always win?

2-ONE-5
04-29-2014, 10:11 PM

if a team like the Wiz (more so than the raps) beat Miami to get tot he finals they would draw big i think for the finals. Wall is known enough and people would be interested in seeing the team who slayed the giant that most hate

therealwd27
04-29-2014, 10:25 PM
It's weird how the league is always fixing things in favor of the better teams. Funny how that works!

This.

numba1CHANGsta
04-29-2014, 10:28 PM
I love how 3 of the top 4 seeds are all going to lose, lmao the Heat are a joke of a franchise. Either the Heat get the first seed or the first seed loses in the first round

Nick O
04-30-2014, 01:13 AM
lol no? i dont believe all this fix crap. besides. they wouldnt have to fix it. there is NO team in the east who can beat the Heat in a 7 game series.

JordansBulls
04-30-2014, 01:14 AM
The only fix would probably be allowing Indiana to get to the ECF.

Nick O
04-30-2014, 01:16 AM
i barely even consider Miami a big market. its an absolutely horrible sports market. just terrible. before the big 3 theyre fan base was awful. baseball football, hockey their fans are brutal . theyre just a really good team in tourist heavy big city. if those 3 went anywhere in the league together the results would be the same

mjm07
04-30-2014, 11:04 AM
I love how 3 of the top 4 seeds are all going to lose, lmao the Heat are a joke of a franchise. Either the Heat get the first seed or the first seed loses in the first round

How are they a joke?

KnicksorBust
04-30-2014, 11:09 AM

What is the most recent series that you believe was fixed?

NoahH
04-30-2014, 11:11 AM
Why would they need to fix it when Miami is the better team and would win the series anyways

Goose17
04-30-2014, 11:12 AM
No. Because they don't fix games. Ever. Despite what some conspiracy theorists like to believe.

Next thread please.

TylerSL
04-30-2014, 12:37 PM

yea because other teams suck Miami is a joke :rolleyes:

Nick O
04-30-2014, 01:10 PM

the raptors are headed home tied 2-2.. youre just calling theyre gonna lose because?

justinnum1
04-30-2014, 02:45 PM

:dance:

SteBO
04-30-2014, 02:49 PM
How are they a joke?

the raptors are headed home tied 2-2.. youre just calling theyre gonna lose because?

:dance:

yea because other teams suck Miami is a joke :rolleyes:
Any team of your choosing can be a "joke" in your alternate universe. In reality though, those discussions are way more subjective. Don't even bother...

Fnom11
04-30-2014, 03:02 PM

Yeah, he mad. Don't worry you'll be a Clipper fan soon.

P&GRealist
04-30-2014, 03:49 PM
This conference will be bettwr next year .

Maybe by 1 notch, while the west will get even better by like 3 or 4 notches.

See how it works?

The East is STILL the LEASTERN CONFERENCE

t_money25
04-30-2014, 04:20 PM
i barely even consider Miami a big market. its an absolutely horrible sports market. just terrible. before the big 3 theyre fan base was awful. baseball football, hockey their fans are brutal . theyre just a really good team in tourist heavy big city. if those 3 went anywhere in the league together the results would be the same

What exactly are you basing this opinion off of if you don't mind me asking?

koreancabbage
04-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Who cares, It's gonna be a Raptors vs Wizards ECF anyways.

YES! lol

koreancabbage
04-30-2014, 04:33 PM

Heat are a small market team but thats because noone actually lives in Miami.

They had the 4th highest attendance this year - and they are a small market for basketball.
Marlins near the bottom, but thats because of the fire sale and their owner/gm is a dick.
Miami Dolphins is in the top half of league attendance - and they sucked last year

Miami doesn't even have a hockey team - they are in Fort Lauderdale now - but when it was in Miami, massive amount of sellout games compared to the team now.

I would say they are doing pretty well as a market for all sports. If the Marlins were better (and a better owner) and if they actually had a hockey team in Miami

L8kers4life
04-30-2014, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=t_money25;28408158]What exactly are you basing this opinion off of if you don't mind me asking?[/QU

Come on Tmoney, are you really asking what he is basing this on? Miami fans left the building with a minute left in last years finals because they thought their team had lost the game and the championship, only to realize the Heat came back and they were about to win. Also Miami Marlins have a new stadium and can not get anyone to show up, the Dolphins have attendence issues. In general, Miami is a Sh**ty sports town.

Cal827
04-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Just a heads up to y'all. If the Raptors take out the Nets and play Miami in the next week or so, you're gonna see about 50,000 Raptor threads complaining about the fixed brackets lol

j-bay
04-30-2014, 05:39 PM
They wouldn't fix a Heat-Raptors series. The ECF to me would be the most likely to fix. Whoever wins repersents the East in the finals.

t_money25
04-30-2014, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=t_money25;28408158]What exactly are you basing this opinion off of if you don't mind me asking?[/QU

Come on Tmoney, are you really asking what he is basing this on? Miami fans left the building with a minute left in last years finals because they thought their team had lost the game and the championship, only to realize the Heat came back and they were about to win. Also Miami Marlins have a new stadium and can not get anyone to show up, the Dolphins have attendence issues. In general, Miami is a Sh**ty sports town.

Do you have any facts to back up what you're saying about Miami? Just because fans that are trying to beat traffic in a game that looks like it's over means Miami is a ********y sports town? I think you should do your homework before you call out an entire city about something you don't seem to know much about. I've lived in Miami for over 25 years and I completely disagree with your opinion.

knicksfan1794
04-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Arnt't the wizards playing the heat in the 2nd round?

nm they don't :D

Nick O
04-30-2014, 07:23 PM
What exactly are you basing this opinion off of if you don't mind me asking?

nobody went to their games?

Nick O
04-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Heat are a small market team but thats because noone actually lives in Miami.

They had the 4th highest attendance this year - and they are a small market for basketball.
Marlins near the bottom, but thats because of the fire sale and their owner/gm is a dick.
Miami Dolphins is in the top half of league attendance - and they sucked last year

Miami doesn't even have a hockey team - they are in Fort Lauderdale now - but when it was in Miami, massive amount of sellout games compared to the team now.

I would say they are doing pretty well as a market for all sports. If the Marlins were better (and a better owner) and if they actually had a hockey team in Miami

30 minutes outside of miami still counts. Ever been to a bills game? its a solid 20-30 minutes outside of buffalo.... although i feel dirty compairing the two cities.. buffalo is kinda awful

Nick O
04-30-2014, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=L8kers4life;28408300]

Do you have any facts to back up what you're saying about Miami? Just because fans that are trying to beat traffic in a game that looks like it's over means Miami is a ********y sports town? I think you should do your homework before you call out an entire city about something you don't seem to know much about. I've lived in Miami for over 25 years and I completely disagree with your opinion.

not a Dolphins fan tho?

NBA_Starter
04-30-2014, 07:36 PM
This is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard on here.

naps
04-30-2014, 07:39 PM

LOL. Are you so sure that Wizards are going to beat Hawks/Pacers before making to the ECF?

Why on earth does the league need to fix a series against such an inferior team anyways? Heat will win barring any unexpected debacle. If the league was so concerned about keeping big market teams in contention why have the Knicks been sucking so bad for decades or why have the small market Spurs been the best team in past 15 years? Shut up with ridiculous conspiracy theories.

D-Leethal
04-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen: The NBA Forum

j-bay
04-30-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm not saying we are beating the Heat.

rex.reyesiii
04-30-2014, 08:54 PM
LOL I had WSH as the bigger threat to the Bulls than BKN.

This thread -1 for not seeing WSH is a good team and not weak. :P

t_money25
04-30-2014, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE=t_money25;28408717]

not a Dolphins fan tho?

No I'm not necessarily a Dolphins fan although they are the local team I love when they are playing well. The football community is much more pleasant when the Fins are contending.

Fnom11
05-01-2014, 02:07 AM
This is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard on here.

Yeah but is it really...?

FriedTofuz
05-01-2014, 02:36 AM
The NBA forum is going to be swamped with Raptor Thread against the heat next week; PSD is dominantly Torontonians

j-bay
05-01-2014, 04:37 PM
LOL I had WSH as the bigger threat to the Bulls than BKN.

This thread -1 for not seeing WSH is a good team and not weak. :P

I am a Wizards fan. I know how good we are.

tredigs
05-01-2014, 04:50 PM
I am a Wizards fan. I know how good we are.

Then you also know that you will get pummeled in an easy series win for Miami - even if the refs were looking to fix it for Washington - should your two teams meet up.

j-bay
05-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Then you also know that you will get pummeled in an easy series win for Miami - even if the refs were looking to fix it for Washington - should your two teams meet up.

read the my ?. I didn't say the refs were going to fix it Washington.

j-bay
05-01-2014, 04:56 PM
I mean I don't know if we will beat Miami. But I think it will be closer then what people are thinking.

USMCLaker
05-01-2014, 05:25 PM

I don't think so. I can only count 17 titles that the NBA has fixed outside of that the others were legit.