PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant "Tony Allen is in my head" lol

RulerSlick
04-29-2014, 05:39 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY -- By his own admission, Kevin Durant has let Tony Allen into his head.

A few days ago, Durant became annoyed when it was suggested that Allen might be affecting him a little. The presumptive MVP defiantly said he was not being shut down. But some of the worst shooting games of his playoff career have brought some reflection and humility.

After that first step of acknowledging it, Durant is now trying to deal with it.

As he collected himself before Tuesday's vital Game 5 in the tied Oklahoma City Thunder-Memphis Grizzlies mini-drama, Durant said he's got to stop worrying about where Allen is -- whether that be on Durant's hip, behind his back or even in his face.

Durant's focus has been getting blurred by Allen, which is not only the highest achievement a defender can hope for against a player trying to manage Durant's talent but also a huge factor in how this series has played out.

"I'm worrying about a guy coming from behind trying to block the shot," Durant said. "I've just got to focus in on the rim and my shot. I can't go out there and think too much, I have to let my instincts take over."

Durant shot just 35 percent in Games 2-4, all of which went to overtime. His offensive slump has significantly reduced the Thunder's margin for error. Rock bottom, he hopes, was his 5-of-21 shooting in Game 4.

Statistics speak for themselves. But even before Durant admitted the Grizzlies' ace defender was harassing him out of his comfort zone, there were some signs. Durant appears to have fallen into a habit of short-arming his release a bit. His high and smooth stroke seemed at times to become shorter and jerky during Game 4. As did his balance, where it seemed he often wasn't able to get into that trademark form on his takeoff.

Allen has fought through so many screens to crowd Durant, kept so close to him when he's just standing off the ball and become such a pest at denying passes headed Durant's way that it has the scoring champ flustered.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/10856733/kevin-durant-trying-get-tony-allen-head

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img843/3254/4nl.gif

P&GRealist
04-29-2014, 05:52 PM
These kids, mentally weak and soft these days. Work out in the offseason with your main competition LeBron, and that too after getting your azzes kicked in the finals by the guy. 60% of works make the guy so great is his ability to get the phantom calls and get a ridiculous copious amount of free throw attempts a game.

He ain't getting those crazy FTA numbers.

RulerSlick
04-29-2014, 06:33 PM
^^up

RulerSlick
04-30-2014, 05:45 AM
No thoughts on this after another awful game from Durant? lol

IKnowHoops
04-30-2014, 05:54 AM
I am pretty shocked that this has gone on for this long.

eugene
04-30-2014, 06:37 AM
all this comparisons to all time greats now seems like a joke :D

slashsnake
04-30-2014, 06:52 AM
its the weekly swing. Hibbert and George are two of the greatest, wait no they both suck. Durant has already passed Lebron... wait a minute. Harden's the best guard in the league.. not this week. Griffin for MVP... hold on a sec. Bulls are the hottest team in the east... until they aren't. Kobe's teams are awful and he can't win without shaq... oh wait a second. Heat form a big 3 a few years after the Celtics do the exact same thing and Celtic fans call that unfair now.

RulerSlick
04-30-2014, 07:07 AM
I'll give the real Durant fans a break but these salty, leeching jockers who are living through Durant because their idols or favorites players are done and not on Lebrons level and feel threatened by Lebron, I laugh at you right now

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img843/3505/3iyx.gif

Nighthawk
04-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Heat form a big 3 a few years after the Celtics do the exact same thing and Celtic fans call that unfair now.

Bron, Wade, and Bosh, all buddies, usa teammates, and drafted in same class, got together, and agreed to take less.

Danny Ainge traded assets he acquired through years of suckery into Allen, and KG

Hows that remotely similar

Oh yeah.... And tony allen is a BEAST.

MrfadeawayJB
04-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Tony Allen should be in every players head he is easily the most unpredictable player in the league and I mean that in a good way.

Red_Pill
04-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Tony Allen has been fouling Durant nearly every possession. Heck, yesterday, he fell down and held Durants ankles when Durant was trying to grab the ball.

He's a good defender, but he's getting a lot of help from the officials. I mean, he only had three fouls. That kind of abusive, up close and personal D, and only three fouls. It's a joke.

Red_Pill
04-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Tony Allen should be in every players head he is easily the most unpredictable player in the league and I mean that in a good way.

Wish we could have got him in Minny.

ManRam
04-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Tony Allen is one of the greatest defenders of this era.

He's still 5-7 inches shorter than KD...so the success he's having (and Courtney to an extent) is mind-blowing. KD has such an amazing ability to rise up over any defender because of his height and length...but 6-4 Tony Allen is shutting him down. It's impressive/confusing.

Red_Pill
04-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Tony Allen is one of the greatest defenders of this era.

He's still 5-7 inches shorter than KD...so the success he's having (and Courtney to an extent) is mind-blowing. KD has such an amazing ability to rise up over any defender because of his height and length...but 6-4 Tony Allen is shutting him down. It's impressive/confusing.

How is it confusing? He's holding and pulling his jersey, hand checking constantly, and he even held his ankles at one point. He's playing dirty and the refs are looking the other way. KD is getting frustrated, and when people get frustrated, they don't perform to their best.

slashsnake
04-30-2014, 12:33 PM
How is it confusing? He's holding and pulling his jersey, hand checking constantly, and he even held his ankles at one point. He's playing dirty and the refs are looking the other way. KD is getting frustrated, and when people get frustrated, they don't perform to their best.

Welcome to the playoffs. Bowen, Fisher, Rondo, Marion, Deng, Foster, Artest, Garnett... He isn't the first to play like that and he surely won't be the last. It isn't like they signed Kendrick Perkins because he is such a gentleman out there on the floor. Man up and win the game, or go home and try again next year.

Red_Pill
04-30-2014, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the playoffs. Bowen, Fisher, Rondo, Marion, Deng, Foster, Artest, Garnett... He isn't the first to play like that and he surely won't be the last. It isn't like they signed Kendrick Perkins because he is such a gentleman out there on the floor. Man up and win the game, or go home and try again next year.

I don't recall Bowen falling to the ground and holding a players ankles lol

Hate the term man up. Anyway, yes, it's the playoffs. D is going to be harder, but when I'm seeing similar plays from both sides, and one is clearly getting away with it and the other is not, I have to question it.

MonroeFAN
04-30-2014, 12:38 PM
lol what is up with the ESPN link.

"Kevin Durant trying to get Tony Allen head". Way to go.

P&GRealist
04-30-2014, 12:50 PM
I'll give the real Durant fans a break but these salty, leeching jockers who are living through Durant because their idols or favorites players are done and not on Lebrons level and feel threatened by Lebron, I laugh at you right now

You Heat (aka LeBron fans) really need to get over yourselves. The thread is about KD and Tony Allen.

slashsnake
04-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Bron, Wade, and Bosh, all buddies, usa teammates, and drafted in same class, got together, and agreed to take less.

Danny Ainge traded assets he acquired through years of suckery into Allen, and KG

Hows that remotely similar

Oh yeah.... And tony allen is a BEAST.

Ainge had a meh team. He couldn't build one around his current franchise great. He brought in two stars that were friends from a previous olympics, 3 guys all within a year of each others age, who wanted to try a new team who were frustrated at not being able to win on their own with their current teams. Traded the picks and contracts to make the deal work, added in role players and became an inmediate contender, did some three amigos commercials and media ran with the big 3 that they formed.

You can nitpick what friends they were, which year they were in the Olympics together, or draft picks sent away vs. Al Jefferson and draft picks, or that the heats salaries were 56,542,380 bucks and the Celtics big 3 cost 56,110,094 bucks. But that is all you are doing. Team pairs two other guys with one home grown star to form a big three and attempt to win a championship immediately rather than rebuild through the draft.

Hangtime
04-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Tony likes to swipe low at Durant when he dribbles the ball and it makes him ultra uncomfortable. And he does a good job of staying in front of him fighting through screens. Its easy for Durant to pull up and just shoot over him like he does everyone else but he's very conscience of where Tony's hands are reaching in down low. It disrupts his concentration.

Bottom line is OKC is a jumpshooting team without a low post presence. Grizz have excellent help defenders and even when they drive Gasol and Zach are there in the lane and Conley is around playing passing lanes. The Grizz are literally kryptonite to the Thunder.

ManRam
04-30-2014, 12:59 PM

I agree that TA is playing some rough defense, for sure. But still, KD is getting shots off and not hitting them. You're not gonna convince me that every shot he's taken has dealt with "holding", "pulling", "hand checking" and so on. Not even close to it. Yeah, the refs are letting him be physical (it's about time refs allow that on KD), but still...it doesn't explain it all and you can't pretend like it does either.

kingsdelez24
04-30-2014, 01:03 PM
its the weekly swing. Hibbert and George are two of the greatest, wait no they both suck. Durant has already passed Lebron... wait a minute. Harden's the best guard in the league.. not this week. Griffin for MVP... hold on a sec. Bulls are the hottest team in the east... until they aren't. Kobe's teams are awful and he can't win without shaq... oh wait a second. Heat form a big 3 a few years after the Celtics do the exact same thing and Celtic fans call that unfair now.

Thats been the nature of the league for years now

slashsnake
04-30-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't recall Bowen falling to the ground and holding a players ankles lol

Hate the term man up. Anyway, yes, it's the playoffs. D is going to be harder, but when I'm seeing similar plays from both sides, and one is clearly getting away with it and the other is not, I have to question it.

No he liked to slide under the jump shooter so the guy would land on his feet and sprain his ankle that way. Ask Vince Carter or AI about that move. Or kicking guys when they were down. lol

The point is, the refs let series in the playoffs get physical. There are guys every year who take advantage of that. Jordan had to get above that. Shaq and Kobe had to get above that. Lebron had to get above that. Durant will too if he wants to win some rings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjR9t5ZXuHI

That's why Perkins is on that team there.

BCpatsox18
04-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Ainge had a meh team. He couldn't build one around his current franchise great. He brought in two stars that were friends from a previous olympics, 3 guys all within a year of each others age, who wanted to try a new team who were frustrated at not being able to win on their own with their current teams. Traded the picks and contracts to make the deal work, added in role players and became an inmediate contender, did some three amigos commercials and media ran with the big 3 that they formed.

You can nitpick what friends they were, which year they were in the Olympics together, or draft picks sent away vs. Al Jefferson and draft picks, or that the heats salaries were 56,542,380 bucks and the Celtics big 3 cost 56,110,094 bucks. But that is all you are doing. Team pairs two other guys with one home grown star to form a big three and attempt to win a championship immediately rather than rebuild through the draft.

Except for the whole part where Garnett wanted no part of the Celtics until Allen got there. The fact remains the Heat gave up late 1sts and 2nd round picks and Michael Beasley and assorted other trash for Chris Bosh and Lebron James because they basically forced their teams to deal them and the C's gave up Al Jefferson who is arguably the best offensive post player in basketball now, Delonte West, Gerald Green, the 5th overall pick and various other players for their stars. Both teams have three stars, you're right there, but to say they got there the same way is flat out wrong.
That being said, this thread is not about Lebron (even though he is mentioned in almost every thread now unfortunately) it is about how Tony Allen is shutting down the best scorer in basketball at only six-four- now that is amazing

slashsnake
04-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Except for the whole part where Garnett wanted no part of the Celtics until Allen got there. The fact remains the Heat gave up late 1sts and 2nd round picks and Michael Beasley and assorted other trash for Chris Bosh and Lebron James because they basically forced their teams to deal them and the C's gave up Al Jefferson who is arguably the best offensive post player in basketball now, Delonte West, Gerald Green, the 5th overall pick and various other players for their stars. Both teams have three stars, you're right there, but to say they got there the same way is flat out wrong.
That being said, this thread is not about Lebron (even though he is mentioned in almost every thread now unfortunately) it is about how Tony Allen is shutting down the best scorer in basketball at only six-four- now that is amazing

Wait... So Garnett only wanted to go to the Celtics and sign that long term deal there because they were nearing contender status now that they had Bosh and Wade... I mean Pierce and Allen. Again... who cares what was traded. A 2nd overall pick or a 17-10 guy that couldn't stay healthy.

I never said they got there the same way, I just said the Celtics formed a big 3. To me, if you form a big 3, good for you. The Celtics have done that a few times in their history a few different ways and had great success with it. I don't care if you buy dinner with cash or your debit card, you are still buying dinner.

But I agree this isn't about this. I didn't make it about this. It was one quick point in a statement completely on topic until someone pulled it out and felt it needed to be discussed, saw "big 3" and felt the need to explain why Lebron's joining (first time I believe I mentioned him was now) was just wrong or not as good or whatever point you need to say here about him.