PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Clippers for Sale Speculation Thread

Snakeyestx
04-29-2014, 04:18 PM
Imagine if you will... the Board of Governors force the hand of Donald Sterling and the team gets sold. Who buys it? There are currently two theories that I've seen getting tossed around - one which makes quite a bit of sense to me which I'll share a little photoshop with you all further down.

* Sell the team to Magic Johnson and the Guggenheim investment group - this would be one of the fastest acquisitions in NBA history, keep the team in LA, rub off like the ultimate dealing of justice to Johnson, and life would go on. This almost seems too easy.

* Then there's a more interesting option - far more appealing I think for fans of the NBA and the Western Conference : Sell the team to Chris Hansen/Steve Ballmer's group in Seattle and bring back basketball to the city that's been begging and trying for years. We all know the Sonics name is still in their possession but let's just glance over that for a minute. Seattle is a coastal town with a rich Maritime culture. Why change the name at all? Why not bring the team over, and pay homage to the original team by using their colors?

Why not use a little something like... oh I dunno... this?

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l273/Tenki-Kun/Clippers2Seattle_zps63964dd4.jpg

Now you finally put an end to two teams in 1 city - Seattle gets a team and market again - the Clippers can step out and create their own dynasty in their own "new city."

Discuss your ideas, thoughts, theories, and possible owners or cities that chomp at the bit to take the team.

P&GRealist
04-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Magic Johnson or Chris Hansen (Seattle group).

I prefer the Seattle group. They DESERVE an NBA team.

abe_froman
04-29-2014, 04:24 PM
it'll be magic and his group

Method28
04-29-2014, 04:37 PM
If they do move anywhere the name Clippers isn't going with them. That name would be associated with this whole event.

With that said....it would be a horrid move to move this team out of Los Angeles. Does seattle deserve a team, absolutely.

But not at the expense of LA. I would assume a less financially successful franchise would be a better canidate.

P&GRealist
04-29-2014, 04:39 PM
If they do move anywhere the name Clippers isn't going with them. That name would be associated with this whole event.

With that said....it would be a horrid move to move this team out of Los Angeles. Does seattle deserve a team, absolutely.

But not at the expense of LA. I would assume a less financially successful franchise would be a better canidate.

LA already has a team, the greatest sports franchise, the Lakers.

Take the Clippers to Seattle and re-name them the SuperSonics.

Problem solved.

warrior63
04-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Yep. Move and rename them. It'd be great to have the sonics back.

Method28
04-29-2014, 04:43 PM

Take the Clippers to Seattle and re-name them the SuperSonics.

Problem solved.

Lakers are down at the moment. Either way, the Clippers have been one of the most financially successful franchises despite their horrible past.

With them finally becoming relevant, it would be a horrible mistake to remove them from a market like LA.

Plus this general area has always supported two pro teams in every sport. Clippers/Lakers, Kings/Ducks, Dodgers/Angels and when football WAS here the Raiders/Rams.

Yes I know the Angels and Ducks are in Anaheim but cmon. It's a 35 minute drive lol let's be real.

There's a reason why this is setup that way.

Snakeyestx
04-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Lakers are down at the moment. Either way, the Clippers have been one of the most financially successful franchises despite their horrible past.

With them finally becoming relevant, it would be a horrible mistake to remove them from a market like LA.

Plus this general area has always supported two pro teams in every sport. Clippers/Lakers, Kings/Ducks, Dodgers/Angels and when football WAS here the Raiders/Rams.

Yes I know the Angels and Ducks are in Anaheim but cmon. It's a 35 minute drive lol let's be real.

There's a reason why this is setup that way.

It has been a two-team city... and the bigger question is why? It can't be population based because New York City doesn't have it, and they're far larger. Every "two" teams have split off already except for the basketball team. Why bifurcate the city to choose sides of two teams when you can have the entire city back the one?

If the team moved to Seattle - keeping or changing the name would make sense either way (history vs. heritage). You can't write off Seattle as a "small market" either - just look at Portland - their city sizes are roughly the same population wise and look how successful that team is right now (look at the beating they're giving my poor Rockets!) :(

abe_froman
04-29-2014, 04:53 PM
the money to be made in l.a. is much greater than seattle,they wont move.i want seattle to have a team again,but it'd only happen with a small market team thats struggling financially.

numba1CHANGsta
04-29-2014, 04:55 PM
Whoever it is they need to relocate the team, you can't have two teams play in the same arena especially if the other team is the Lakers. I say move the Clippers to either Anaheim, San Diego, or Seattle.

ScottFromCanada
04-29-2014, 04:56 PM
Yep. Move and rename them. It'd be great to have the sonics back.

Vancouver deserves a team more than Seattle. The NBA never even gave Vancouver a chance to succeed, Seattle had their and they failed.

Spartan8585
04-29-2014, 04:57 PM
I'm not gonna lie! The thought of CP3 and Black Griffin in sonics jerseys would make my day!

MTar786
04-29-2014, 04:58 PM
change name and logo and move on. i wish a guy like floyd may weather bought the team. the new name team would have swag from the get go. they can even work hand in hand with the nba to duck certain teams

Method28
04-29-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm not gonna lie! The thought of CP3 and Black Griffin in sonics jerseys would make my day!

Payton to Kemp glory days all over again lol

Spartan8585
04-29-2014, 05:10 PM

Exactly my thoughts! Would be a good way for Seattle fans to forget about the sting that was losing Kevin Durant.

Method28
04-29-2014, 05:14 PM

Exactly my thoughts! Would be a good way for Seattle fans to forget about the sting that was losing Kevin Durant.

They can have the Bucks as a consolation prize.

Leave my Clippers alone! Lol

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-29-2014, 05:41 PM
I don't think the NBA would allow the franchise to move to be honest.

Vinylman
04-29-2014, 05:51 PM
They won't be sold... they will never get the 75% vote... owners aren't dumb...they don't want to subject themselves to the potential of a forced sale if they say something dumb... Cuban is the only one with balls enough to voice this position...

No one will be talking about this episode within a month...

Bookmark this post if you disagree and come back in 6 months

P&GRealist
04-29-2014, 06:02 PM
They won't be sold... they will never get the 75% vote... owners aren't dumb...they don't want to subject themselves to the potential of a forced sale if they say something dumb... Cuban is the only one with balls enough to voice this position...

Alvaro Martin @AlvaroNBAMartin about 1 hour ago
SI.com: 25 teams have issued statements supporting #AdamSilver's decision on Sterling case. #LooksLikeHeHasTheVotes.

abe_froman
04-29-2014, 06:06 PM

he said that he has the votes. there is no reason for any owner to not vote yea,they just want this over with and that means cutting sterling loose.keeping him around ,even in exile, is bad pr and hurts their interests

Kushed
04-29-2014, 06:09 PM
Lmao LA is not going anywhere. I live in Seattle and that would be fantastic but teams don't move to smaller markets.. It doesn't happen. The team will be sold and it will remain in LA.

Another person I saw was P Diddy said he wanted to buy the Clippers lol he posted that on his twitter.

Vinylman
04-29-2014, 06:12 PM
Alvaro Martin @AlvaroNBAMartin about 1 hour ago
SI.com: 25 teams have issued statements supporting #AdamSilver's decision on Sterling case. #LooksLikeHeHasTheVotes.

so what ... it should be 29... that doesn't mean they will vote to force a sale

Vinylman
04-29-2014, 06:13 PM
he said that he has the votes. there is no reason for any owner to not vote yea,they just want this over with and that means cutting sterling loose.keeping him around ,even in exile, is bad pr and hurts their interests

show me where he said he HAS the votes... he didn't say that

verceroth
04-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Lmao LA is not going anywhere. I live in Seattle and that would be fantastic but teams don't move to smaller markets.. It doesn't happen. The team will be sold and it will remain in LA.

This. No way the clippers would move out of LA. Clippers and Lakers have co-existed fine all this time. As a laker fan, I can't wait for the lakers to be relevant again and watch them battle each other. :clap:

NoahH
04-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Clippers are locked into their lease at Staples Center for another 10 years so a move to Seattle is a fantasy at this point. I badly want a team back in Seattle, but I am not getting my hopes up here.

goingfor28
04-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Clips aren't leaving LA.

ccg34
04-29-2014, 06:27 PM
LA got the Lakers. Lakers will always be the big brother/main team in LA. Bring the Clippers to Seattle baby!

abe_froman
04-29-2014, 06:29 PM
show me where he said he HAS the votes... he didn't say that

he said he will force the sale,which means he has the votes .he wouldnt say publicly without the knowledge of what the vote count is.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-29-2014, 06:32 PM
so what ... it should be 29... that doesn't mean they will vote to force a sale

They only need 3/4ths of the vote.

JEDean89
04-29-2014, 06:33 PM
I think the Clipps should move to anaheim, the bucks to seattle and either wait to expand to 32 teams to get one in Vancouver or move another team in the east to Vancouver like Detroit. Then move the Hornets and Grizzlies to the East. The league would be so much better. Vancouver would need a new name though.

Vinylman
04-29-2014, 06:33 PM
he said he will force the sale,which means he has the votes .he wouldnt say publicly without the knowledge of what the vote count is.

really? thats what he said? might want to review that again...

He said that he hadn't even had contact with the majority of teams when asked if he had the votes...

Heediot
04-29-2014, 06:34 PM
LMAO.

One sleazy gold digger changes the course of sports history.

Vinylman
04-29-2014, 06:40 PM
They only need 3/4ths of the vote.

really?

try and keep up with the conversation... i wasn't talking about the vote but the speculators think those supporting the decision is equal to a vote... it isn't

Mr.SmackYoMama
04-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Imagine if you will... the Board of Governors force the hand of Donald Sterling and the team gets sold. Who buys it? There are currently two theories that I've seen getting tossed around - one which makes quite a bit of sense to me which I'll share a little photoshop with you all further down.

* Sell the team to Magic Johnson and the Guggenheim investment group - this would be one of the fastest acquisitions in NBA history, keep the team in LA, rub off like the ultimate dealing of justice to Johnson, and life would go on. This almost seems too easy.

* Then there's a more interesting option - far more appealing I think for fans of the NBA and the Western Conference : Sell the team to Chris Hansen/Steve Ballmer's group in Seattle and bring back basketball to the city that's been begging and trying for years. We all know the Sonics name is still in their possession but let's just glance over that for a minute. Seattle is a coastal town with a rich Maritime culture. Why change the name at all? Why not bring the team over, and pay homage to the original team by using their colors?

Why not use a little something like... oh I dunno... this?

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l273/Tenki-Kun/Clippers2Seattle_zps63964dd4.jpg

Now you finally put an end to two teams in 1 city - Seattle gets a team and market again - the Clippers can step out and create their own dynasty in their own "new city."

Discuss your ideas, thoughts, theories, and possible owners or cities that chomp at the bit to take the team.

Sterling is out bro why would the new team want a slave ship as it's logo??...............To soon?

JEDean89
04-29-2014, 06:44 PM
LMAO.

One sleazy gold digger changes the course of sports history.

yet do you have any idea how big of a favor this chick did the nba and especially clippers fans? donald sterling is not only a racist pos but he is also notoriously known as one of the stingiest owners in the NBA. he rarely doles out money to put competitive rosters on the court and if you look at their record under his ownership, its absolutely pathetic.

Tony_Starks
04-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Lol Clippers will never leave LA. If Sacramento was able to keep its team do you really think LA can't keep one of theirs? Especially if the Magic investment group gets it they'd have two LA teams in two sports, that's pretty great.

The only thing that threatens teams to leave is size of market, poor facilities, or lack of fan support. Clippers have none of these problems....

grandsalami
04-29-2014, 06:51 PM
really?

try and keep up with the conversation... i wasn't talking about the vote but the speculators think those supporting the decision is equal to a vote... it isn't

for the 1thousand time… EVERYONE Knows THEY have the votes , its a done deal, and the team is for sale

ccg34
04-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Best solution: Move Clippers to Seattle. Add an expansion team to LA.

The Clippers whole organization needs a makeover. It brings a competitive team to a city that is dying to have an NBA team. The NBA can still make money with the new team in LA.

Shammyguy3
04-29-2014, 07:08 PM
the last thing the NBA needs right now is expansion.

Vinylman
04-29-2014, 07:10 PM
for the 1thousand time… EVERYONE Knows THEY have the votes , its a done deal, and the team is for sale

really... show me where the team is for sale ... show me the votes...

this is gonna be an awesome thread in about a month

Snakeyestx
04-29-2014, 09:34 PM
You guys on about this vote are pretty funny. Basically Silver manhandled the Board of Governors by pointing out "If you vote against forcing the sale, you're basically saying you condone this douchebag's behavior... do you want that PR s**tstorm on your doorstep?"

slashsnake
04-29-2014, 09:42 PM
really... show me where the team is for sale ... show me the votes...

this is gonna be an awesome thread in about a month

Use some common sense here. First... his quote was "I spoke to several owners, and I have their full support," he said. "I fully expect to get the support I need from the other NBA owners to remove him."

So do you really think an NBA owner is going to want to be the one to break ranks and say Sterling should still be an owner? He may not have the votes, but there is no possible way I see an owner taking his side. Because whether that is what they believe or not, that is what the media will portray it as. That is what their players will see it as.

Clippersfan86
04-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Woj's latest article says the team will easily fetch a billion and that there is a feeding frenzy of potential owners. Outside of Magic, 5 billionaires have come forward saying they want to buy. Clippers will make history. I want Magic to win bid war due to basketball credibility. My second option is David Geffen who tried to buy when we were bad. He's worth almost 7 billion and today said he badly wants to buy.

Clippersfan86
04-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Vinyl still praying g with all of his might for the Clippers to collapse lmao. Keep trying kid, not happening. Maybe if the Pelicans make the playoffs in the next 5 years you can take the maxi pad off.

Cracka2HI!
04-29-2014, 10:08 PM
I think it's too early for this. Sterling will not go down without a fight.

statquo
04-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Donald trump should buy them. Make a great rivalry with the lakers once they become relevant again.

mgsports
04-29-2014, 10:32 PM
He would move them to Buffalo if he buys the Bills. San Jose,St. Louis,Tampa Bay. I would say Kansas City but no Owner.

Clippersfan86
04-29-2014, 10:39 PM

Only way to fight is if 5 owners vote it down. Not happening. Do you realize the PR devastation those teams will draw?

bluefire7002
04-29-2014, 10:45 PM
Only way to fight is if 5 owners vote it down. Not happening. Do you realize the PR devastation those teams will draw?

Im just curious to see what happens with the players if this goes on past the offseason. If some of the players will want to stay? Knowing their checks are coming from Sterling still.

Clippersfan86
04-29-2014, 10:46 PM
Ugh this video tribute making my cry. Well done Clippers!

Snakeyestx
04-29-2014, 10:46 PM

WRONG - the smartest thing he can do is cash out, and laugh his way to the bank, leave LA and go die a quiet and forgotten death somewhere nobody knows him ... Tierra del Fuego perhaps.

bluefire7002
04-29-2014, 10:49 PM
WRONG - the smartest thing he can do is cash out, and laugh his way to the bank, leave LA and go die a quiet and forgotten death somewhere nobody knows him ... Tierra del Fuego perhaps.

Id buy my own Island, and just chill out the rest of my life.

IndyRealist
04-29-2014, 10:52 PM
Seattle is a no brainer. The NBA desparately wants back in, and would put a good publicity spin on a mess of a situation both because of Sterling and because of the Thunder leaving Seattle. And the team would become the Sonics, as the rights to the name and history remain in Seattle.

I do think the NBA wants two teams in LA though, which has plenty of population and disposable income to support both.