PDA

View Full Version : If a player had said the same thing...

JasonJohnHorn
04-29-2014, 02:52 PM
I am NOT a fan of Sterling, and I am of two minds regarding his life-time ban and suspension. A big part of me supports it, but a big part also things it might be excessive, though moving forward it might be unfair to fans to leave this guy in place given that players will be unlikely to sign there in the future.

I think this call was necessary, but I wonder what would happen if a player had said this? If a player had asked his wife or girlfriend to not show up to games friends of colour, would they be handed a lifetime ban? And if so, would it be fair?

My gut tells me that this is the right call for Sterling, but at the same time, if a player did this I'm not sure that I would think it's the right call.

We've seen in the NFL similar situations arise with relatively little consequences.

How should players who do this be handled? And likewise, how should players who use homophobic language be treated?

It seems like a slippery slope here.

Thoughts on what kind of suspensions/fines would be appropriate for player who behave in a similar way?

goingfor28
04-29-2014, 03:02 PM
It's not just what he said tho. It's his history.

Cal827
04-29-2014, 03:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Sterling continued on past that stupid statement.

and yes, they should also face serious suspension/ban for comments like that.

P&GRealist
04-29-2014, 03:14 PM
Kobe got fined 100k for calling a ref an effin ******.

That should be the punishment for any player for any gay or racial slur.

Crackadalic
04-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Players are different. There more like employees in a way. They get fine and/or cut from their team

If push comes to serve they can be ban if the nbpa supports it I would assume

cmellofan15
04-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Can't hold them on the same level unfortunately. A players words hold a lot less weight than the owners. When you've got all of those people working for you, you make the entire organization and the league look bad.

ManRam
04-29-2014, 03:53 PM
I am NOT a fan of Sterling, and I am of two minds regarding his life-time ban and suspension. A big part of me supports it, but a big part also things it might be excessive, though moving forward it might be unfair to fans to leave this guy in place given that players will be unlikely to sign there in the future.

I think this call was necessary, but I wonder what would happen if a player had said this? If a player had asked his wife or girlfriend to not show up to games friends of colour, would they be handed a lifetime ban? And if so, would it be fair?

My gut tells me that this is the right call for Sterling, but at the same time, if a player did this I'm not sure that I would think it's the right call.

We've seen in the NFL similar situations arise with relatively little consequences.

How should players who do this be handled? And likewise, how should players who use homophobic language be treated?

Thoughts on what kind of suspensions/fines would be appropriate for player who behave in a similar way?

Definitely a slippery slope, for sure. There most always is.

A few things to remember, tho. Sterling has a long and extensive history with racism. This is not the first incidence. Stern's complacency let him off the hook quite a bit.

As for the "similar" situations in the NFL...I'm assuming most obviously this is referring to Cooper. I don't think the incidents compare at all. One was the use of a slur. That's bad, but that's all it is. The other is obvious racism, explained in a disgusting way that suggests it's ingrained in him. It's very well possible that Cooper was just being an idiot and used the wrong word.

This strong of punitive action certainly should require stronger future punishments as well, players included. Obviously people will complain about reverse-racism or what not, and I'm sure that will be an issue. I don't think the two are always complete equals, but that's for another day.

It's not gonna be easy. There's no precedence really for this. I like what Silver's done, but it's going to be a continual issue that will certainly rear it's head again.

Goose17
04-29-2014, 03:59 PM
Interesting discussion.

I mean we've had players that were wife beaters, drug addicts, caught waving guns around, arrested for DUIs. And yet most of those guys are still around, I guess it's easier to replace an owner than it is to replace a superstar player.

pebloemer
04-29-2014, 04:06 PM
There is more to it than just comments.

Sponsorship pulling support.
Media pressure.
Player's Association (and players threatening a boycott).

This is an issue of dealing with a person with significant power in this league and a history of bigoted behaviour. I'm not sure a players' comments could ever be as damaging to the entire body of the league.

Interesting conversation. I feel like there are different variables involved though maybe I'm missing something here.

Tony_Starks
04-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Lol that was quick!......Anyways players are the employees. The owners are just that, owners. They have more authority, higher salaries, and therefore are held to a higher standard. They represent the power structure and governing body of the league.

Players get fined or suspended for conduct detrimental to the league all the time. And when a pattern develops, the penalties get steeper. But when a owner is engaging in conduct that is brazenly against the leagues standards and image he has to be made an example of....

TheMightyHumph
04-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Still, scary to think that things you say on the phone to a friend, mate or family member during a conversation can be taped, broadcast and then be used to judge what type of person you are.

KingPosey
04-29-2014, 04:24 PM
I'm not condoning Sterlings mouth at all, but it is an overreaction, and it is a slippery slope, but it HAD to be done or Silver would be TOAST.

In the age of social media and PC world we have, they take something that TRUELY is disgusting like this, and find a way to make it an even bigger deal somehow.

Between that and the fact that the NBA culture is HEAVILY tied into the black community including it's biggest assets, the players, you just can't let direct racism pass. He had no other choice but to drop the hammer.

2-ONE-5
04-29-2014, 04:30 PM

i share the same thoughts pretty much. i said it another thread...its not illegal to be racist or an ******* and people in sports have done much much worse and been punished a lot less

slashsnake
04-29-2014, 09:36 PM
i share the same thoughts pretty much. i said it another thread...its not illegal to be racist or an ******* and people in sports have done much much worse and been punished a lot less

I agree less has happened against more. But I fully believe based on this, past repeated allegations, lawsuits, etc. that Donald Sterling is a racist and am completely ok with him being kicked out of the league. The NBA is a business built on marketing. They market their sport and their people. And here, in the middle of what I think is possibly the most entertaining first round ever, what is dominating their headlines? A racist owner.

Just because people in the past were punished less doesn't have me think Donald should be. And you are right. It isn't illegal to be a racist. I can go to my boss today and say "I hate minorities and will never work with them and talking to them makes me want to puke, and that he's a fat lazy slob of a N***%".

I will not serve a day in jail for that. But I never have been guaranteed complete immunity from others for what I say, and I hope I never will. But I will have repurcussions to deal with from the company I am with, and the public if word got out about that.

Midnightbottle
04-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Ron artest punched a fan in the face and didnt get half of what the old idiot got.

Cracka2HI!
04-29-2014, 10:04 PM
It's not the same. Sterling is a billionaire who owns the contracts of black players and got caught talking about them like an 1860's plantation owner.

IKnowHoops
04-30-2014, 02:13 AM

There greater the power, the greater the responsibility, thus the greater the penalty.