PDA

View Full Version : How To Get Rid of Donald Sterling Thread

rhymeratic
04-29-2014, 10:00 AM
This is the easiest way to force him out that nobody has brought up from what I can see.....

Clippers are the only franchise in the NBA that shares an arena. Simply have the owners vote that no team is allowed to share a venue without 75% approval from the league and going forward all franchises must be in compliance with this rule by no later than 2016-2017 season.

This rule is in no way unreasonable and it forces Sterling to buyout his lease from the Staples Center and also pay to relocate the team to a location that must be approved by the NBA or find a way to make a deal with one of the current arenas in California which still requires NBA approval or he will be forced to sell the team.

There is so many ways that this works that I cannot even begin to run through all the scenarios. I'm shocked nobody has said this publicly in any way shape or form. Maybe I'm stupid and missing something...

goingfor28
04-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Or someone shoots him

2-ONE-5
04-29-2014, 10:48 AM
and how do you make the case for the Lakers to stay?

Snakeyestx
04-29-2014, 11:44 AM
The solutions are *really* simple -

Basically it starts out with one simple action - the NBA takes over ownership of the Clippers due to Civil rights and OSHA issues. That alone is grounds for removing the team ownership from Sterling. Basically the league annexes the team, and compensates the owner the team's net worth (you can't just take it without buying him out corporate takeover style). This guy has violated the most basic of laws regarding creating a hostile work environment and a plethora of other civil rights infractions.

Once the team is taken over, one of two scenarios are easily feasible -

* The league sells the team to Magic Johnson and his Guggenheim investment group - and life goes on (or)

* The league contacts Steve Ballmer and the buyer group from Seattle and sells and relocates the team to Seattle - thus finally ending this "two teams in one city" nonsense. The question then is do they change the name back to the Supersonics or do they keep the Clippers name since Seattle has a rich maritime culture anyway. IF the Clippers name remains, Seattle can simply redesign the logo and use the old Supersonics colors as an homage to their original team.

Either way, it all starts with the league taking control of the team to prevent a roster and upper management and coaching meltdown - without that, nothing else can happen because the league will have to understandably accept the requests of anyone on that team requesting a break from their contracts to go elsewhere if Sterling is allowed to remain.

rhymeratic
04-29-2014, 11:47 AM
and how do you make the case for the Lakers to stay?

I could have sworn Lakers built that stadium. It was not a joint venture. Clippers were brought in after the fact. Similar to Giants/Jets relationship in the NFL.

2-ONE-5
04-29-2014, 11:54 AM
i have no idea that was a serious question. regardless Sterling was illegally recorded in the privacy of his own home i dont see much action being taken without him coming back twice as hard and creating a bigger mess for the league.

Crackadalic
04-29-2014, 12:03 PM
i have no idea that was a serious question. regardless Sterling was illegally recorded in the privacy of his own home i dont see much action being taken without him coming back twice as hard and creating a bigger mess for the league.

The nba board of governors can vote to dissolve the la clippers franchise and if that happens sterling has no choice but to sell

Snakeyestx
04-29-2014, 12:03 PM

What could he possibly sue for? The recording wasn't sent to the NBA, it was leaked to TMZ - meaning the NBA is simply reacting to something that was released publically and became a legal and civil rights issue - this isn't JUST a Basketball ownership issue - this became so much worse due to the content of the recording. Furthermore, it was recorded by an obviously verbally abused gold-digger tired of his s**t and wanted to expose the douchebag for what he really is - an outdated, fossilized bigot from a bygone era.

nastynice
04-29-2014, 12:08 PM
I haven't been following this story too much, but honestly, I think its blown out of control. The guy's a racist. Who cares, there's millions of racists in america. He unknowingly was recorded in a private conversation. I get that he's a douche, but I mean all this solidarity crap, I don't know man, its like a ****in joke to me. We got all these politicians and corporations in bed together absolutely raping the continent of africa, we got all these other politicians in bed with prison/justice system execs and absolutely raping communities in the u.s., I mean REAL people facing REAL issues. Yet all these players feel THIS is something to stand up for? I'm wondering, what the **** did I miss? Seems like some media fueled pc bs to me.

but that's just me

flea
04-29-2014, 12:13 PM
I haven't been following this story too much, but honestly, I think its blown out of control. The guy's a racist. Who cares, there's millions of racists in america. He unknowingly was recorded in a private conversation. I get that he's a douche, but I mean all this solidarity crap, I don't know man, its like a ****in joke to me. We got all these politicians and corporations in bed together absolutely raping the continent of africa, we got all these other politicians in bed with prison/justice system execs and absolutely raping communities in the u.s., I mean REAL people facing REAL issues. Yet all these players feel THIS is something to stand up for? I'm wondering, what the **** did I miss? Seems like some media fueled pc bs to me.

but that's just me

Probably the best post on the issue I've seen.

JoeDirt05
04-29-2014, 12:17 PM
The thing that comes up about forcing him to sell is the team is on the up and he could never be paid enough money to compensate for future revenue which is what it would take. If the clips win a ship in lets say two years the money he would make through marketing, memorabilia and so on is far greater possibility then what fair value is most often you have to calculate in future revenue when it comes to purchasing a business.

Ps nothing will happen to sterling because of how the tapes were recorded illegally he has ever right to be racist under the constitution as long as he doesn't harm anyone yes everyone is pissed at him but he has not harmed someone so legally he is still under his freedom of speech. And the fact that the lady who recorded the tapes was extorting him for millions of dollars would more then likely get that tape thrown out in a court of law. If the nba tries to force him out he could easy sue the nba and more then likely win.

I am in no way condoning racism i am simply stating the fact that under the first amendment he has the right to say and think what he wants and trying to take the team from him based on those comments would violate his rights

2-ONE-5
04-29-2014, 12:21 PM
its not like he dropped the N word either. its still legal to be an ******* in america and what he said was wrong on many levels but i also dont think in warrants trying to force him out when the majority of people around the league knew this about him already.

JoeDirt05
04-29-2014, 12:25 PM
its not like he dropped the N word either. its still legal to be an ******* in america and what he said was wrong on many levels but i also dont think in warrants trying to force him out when the majority of people around the league knew this about him already.

Ya he was known to be this way for a few years now

Ebbs
04-29-2014, 12:26 PM
What an idiotic solution

LAKobeBryant
04-29-2014, 12:28 PM
JVG said to allow all players to be FA on clippers so no one would play for that franchise which forces him to sell it

JoeDirt05
04-29-2014, 12:30 PM
JVG said to allow all players to be FA on clippers so no one would play for that franchise which forces him to sell it

Can't do that it would be a violation of legally signed contracts he could sue the league for trying to ruin his business

Snakeyestx
04-29-2014, 12:34 PM

I understand exactly what you're pointing out here, however - and this should have been painfully obvious to you, and anyone else reading this thread - he's a representative of the league and the "company" the league represents first, and an owner of the team second.

He's basically an employee to the league, just as everyone underneath his position is an employee to him. Simply put, the league can drop his *** just as easily as your boss could drop yours for someone recording you saying "My boss can eat a box of di**s" just because he doesn't want you representing his company, name, or brand ever again.

It's so elementary how easily they can rid sports of this guy.

LAKobeBryant
04-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Can't do that it would be a violation of legally signed contracts he could sue the league for trying to ruin his business

whatever the decision is it's going be something not heard of or done before. don't act surprised because nba governs all the teams

Snakeyestx
04-29-2014, 12:36 PM

And the players could just as easily sue the owner and the league for "creating a hostile work environment" and any other civil rights violations they want to conjure up with a team of lawyers to get out of their contracts.

Grab your umbrellas because the s**tstorm is coming.

JoeDirt05
04-29-2014, 12:37 PM

I understand exactly what you're pointing out here, however - and this should have been painfully obvious to you, and anyone else reading this thread - he's a representative of the league and the "company" the league represents first, and an owner of the team second.

He's basically an employee to the league, just as everyone underneath his position is an employee to him. Simply put, the league can drop his *** just as easily as your boss could drop yours for someone recording you saying "My boss can eat a box of fish *******s" just because he doesn't want you representing his company, name, or brand ever again.

It's so elementary how easily they can rid sports of this guy.

This is completely wrong yes he is a part of the league but he is an OWNER!!! If the league just kicked his *** to the curb as you mention that would technically be stealing his property he owns the clippers that means the team belongs to him not the league

JoeDirt05
04-29-2014, 12:40 PM

And the players could just as easily sue the owner and the league for "creating a hostile work environment" and any other civil rights violations they want to conjure up with a team of lawyers to get out of their contracts.

Grab your umbrellas because the s**tstorm is coming.

How is it a hostile work environment he never acted this way towards his employees. He did this in his private residence if it happened at a game then yes you could make the argument for hostile work place but at his privately owned home you can not make that claim. Legally in the United States he is allowed to be a racist

Greet
04-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 2m
What I'm expecting today, Part 1: Silver announces lifetime suspension for DS and that he's starting franchise termination process ASAP.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 36s
What I'm expecting today, Part 2: NBA Players Assoc. demands July free agency for all Clipper players unless NBA sells Clippers ASAP.

Interesting thought from the GOAT Bill Simmons

rhymeratic
04-29-2014, 12:56 PM
What an idiotic solution

And what an empty comment. If you have nothing of substance to contribute to this discussion, say nothing. I'm not saying I have the answer, I'm just proposing an idea that does it in such a way based upon all the issues/ramifications:

1. It gives those that work in the organization/arena time to look for future employment or relocate with the team etc.
2. It removes Sterling and hurts him where it matters, in the wallet.

utl768
04-29-2014, 12:59 PM
it doesnt matter what the nba does to donald sterling because he will be forced to sell regardless

after this playoff run doc rivers is quitting and every player on that team is holding out/refusing to report until traded or released and with the nbapa involved no one is signing with the clippers so unless he sells he will have 0 players at training camp and at games

as far as adam silver goes he will suspend him indefinitely and fine him the maximum amount

nastynice
04-29-2014, 01:12 PM
it doesnt matter what the nba does to donald sterling because he will be forced to sell regardless

after this playoff run doc rivers is quitting and every player on that team is holding out/refusing to report until traded or released and with the nbapa involved no one is signing with the clippers so unless he sells he will have 0 players at training camp and at games

as far as adam silver goes he will suspend him indefinitely and fine him the maximum amount

pretty much. Strictly from a business perspective, the best thing he can do at this point is say what everyone wants to hear, let everyone know he will detach himself from the team and sell over the offseason, tell the team to focus on basketball, and still have a very intact and dangerous franchise to sell which will get him the most money out of it. If he tries to keep the team, the value will plummet.

rhd420
04-29-2014, 01:15 PM
This is completely wrong yes he is a part of the league but he is an OWNER!!! If the league just kicked his *** to the curb as you mention that would technically be stealing his property he owns the clippers that means the team belongs to him not the league

very logical post ...
Part ways how you get rid of Sterling is simple, don't support the Clippers period, make it where the franchise LOSES money, boycott advertisers, don't attend games, don't buy merchandise, in short make the franchise toxic - you think any of your opinions hurt the man, the pocket book is what he cares about

The contracts of players are protected by the CBA, he as a owner still has rights and the Clippers are HIS property - sorry fans, get off the high horse, the team isn't yours - much like every other sports team out there.

Part ways, I do want to see the legal war with the league and Sterling - where you think about it, he's got a valid case in terms of the work place not being subjected to his opinion for over 30 years in terms of staff hired, sorry Chic-fillet hires gay and lesbians even though they are against it on religious belief of the owner.

Seriously, just settle now before it really goes nuclear in public and the NBA will probably have more at risk than Sterling and there is a scenario where Sterling can make more money on lawsuits than he can ever make selling the franchise, rewarding him as opposed to punishing which would be funny because he'd have the last laugh.

Snakeyestx
04-29-2014, 01:27 PM

He's an owner of a team in a LEAGUE that he represents. Look... it's simple, it's just like a corporate takeover - the league takes the team by buying out the value of the team - I didn't say take the team for free. The league will distance itself from Sterling because it ruins the image of the NBA, which is a predominantly black league. I don't care if you own the team, you still represent the league, and the league will want to provide a product free of racism and bigotry - meaning he's got to go. Consider a buyout like a hostile takeover. He can either sell the team back to the league, or the league can simply dissolve the team from THEIR league and he can own a team that has no one to play - what do you honestly think Sterling would do then? He'd be an absolute fool to retain ownership of a leagueless team and lose his *** financially - he'll sell.

How is it a hostile work environment he never acted this way towards his employees. He did this in his private residence if it happened at a game then yes you could make the argument for hostile work place but at his privately owned home you can not make that claim. Legally in the United States he is allowed to be a racist

Being a racist prick on a team that only has a couple of non-black players IS the hostile work environment. Can you HONESTLY say the way the Clippers played on Sunday looked even remotely similar to the way all their other games have been played so far in this series? Take off the blindfold bro.

Doc Rivers - head coach and president of operations - cannot and will not work for this guy - he's clearly uncomfortable working for such a prick. The workplace is hostile because the employees are clearly uncomfortable with their surroundings amidst this fiasco.

PhillyFaninLA
04-29-2014, 01:28 PM

You have no idea how franchises work....this isn't his private company, its his franchise....completely different things

ManRam
04-29-2014, 01:33 PM

What he said was far worse than a casual droppage of the n-word.

Heatcheck
04-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Yeah there is a lot of speculation here, and while many are using logical arguments that make sense, they have no legal merit or base. theres a reason why lawyers are so important in business.

P&GRealist
04-29-2014, 01:42 PM
What an idiotic solution

But the flea of psd agrees, so it must be legit. :rolleyes:

Heatcheck
04-29-2014, 01:42 PM
What he said was far worse than a casual droppage of the n-word.

you know whats far worse than that? the fact that its common knowledge this guy is racist. that he engages is illegal housing practices and discrimination which have profound real world consequances, and nobody gives a ****. all they care about is that he doesn't want some gold digger taking pictures or be seen at the games with black people.

Snakeyestx
04-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Just in case some of you don't know, the press conference regarding this will air in 15 minutes on NBATv - or you can simply stream it. (not sure if links for streams are allowed so I didn't post it)

kdspurman
04-29-2014, 01:47 PM
TMZ is reporting they won't force Sterling to sell, but he's suspended indefinitely. Woj is saying there will be "severe" sanctions according to his sources.

kdspurman
04-29-2014, 01:49 PM

P&GRealist
04-29-2014, 01:53 PM
TMZ is reporting they won't force Sterling to sell, but he's suspended indefinitely. Woj is saying there will be "severe" sanctions according to his sources.

Probably the whole take away draft picks, no input on personnel decisions, no contact with any players, coaches or clipper employees, can't come to the games along with maybe a 2.5M fine and indefinite suspension.

I really don't see anything else happening beyond that tbh. Don't think too many will be happy as it just won't seem enough.

rhymeratic
04-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Probably the whole take away draft picks, no input on personnel decisions, no contact with any players, coaches or clipper employees, can't come to the games along with maybe a 2.5M fine and indefinite suspension.

I really don't see anything else happening beyond that tbh. Don't think too many will be happy as it just won't seem enough.

Draft picks don't mean nothing when you got a good record. Might as well take away 5 years worth of picks and give them to the Knicks. :)

SiteWolf
04-29-2014, 01:59 PM
the guy's an ignoramus, a bigot, etc etc...of that there is no doubt
a problem I'm having here is....this is not news, the only thing that IS news is this new recording...which many people are reacting to yet haven't even listened to

I don't agree with what he said, but I'll defend to the death his right to say it....isn't that the view that should be taken constitutionally?

Now, that's not to say he doesn't deserve punishment. The problem is, too many are looking at punishments that do not fit the 'crime' and/or punishments that negatively effect far more people than just him.

If I'm a business owner and you don't like my politics, you don't have the right to force me to sell my business. You do, however, have the right to not do business with me. A franchise is a bit different given there are rules in place that franchise owners have to follow. With a pro sports franchise, there are rules in place that govern conduct of franchise owners....and that's the ONLY rules in play here.

Treat him like baseball treated Marge Schott

Snakeyestx
04-29-2014, 02:18 PM
HELL YEAH - Lifetime BAN!

Board of Governors are urged to FORCE sale of the team...

Where is your legal team now? :p

5ass
04-29-2014, 02:22 PM
I like Adam silver, he's straight forward when answering questions.

Snakeyestx
04-29-2014, 02:23 PM
I have a newfound respect for Adam Silver...

...but now.

#CallMagic
#CallBallmer
#Clips4Sale

:clap:

sunnydayin'zona
04-29-2014, 02:29 PM
The thing that comes up about forcing him to sell is the team is on the up and he could never be paid enough money to compensate for future revenue which is what it would take. If the clips win a ship in lets say two years the money he would make through marketing, memorabilia and so on is far greater possibility then what fair value is most often you have to calculate in future revenue when it comes to purchasing a business.

Ps nothing will happen to sterling because of how the tapes were recorded illegally he has ever right to be racist under the constitution as long as he doesn't harm anyone yes everyone is pissed at him but he has not harmed someone so legally he is still under his freedom of speech. And the fact that the lady who recorded the tapes was extorting him for millions of dollars would more then likely get that tape thrown out in a court of law. If the nba tries to force him out he could easy sue the nba and more then likely win.

I am in no way condoning racism i am simply stating the fact that under the first amendment he has the right to say and think what he wants and trying to take the team from him based on those comments would violate his rights

His rights only apply in regards to the government and the rule of law. Those two bodies would not be acting here.

The NBA has every right to react to public comments made by Sterling and respond to the backlash by forcing him out of the league. The NBA has no obligation to honor Sterling's "freedom of speech"

EAGLES3658
04-29-2014, 03:28 PM
His rights only apply in regards to the government and the rule of law. Those two bodies would not be acting here.

The NBA has every right to react to public comments made by Sterling and respond to the backlash by forcing him out of the league. The NBA has no obligation to honor Sterling's "freedom of speech"
They weren't public comments though.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Gonna close this now with the news that just came out a couple hours ago.