PDA

View Full Version : A way for clippers players to become Free Agents?

lamzoka
04-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Is there a way for clippers players to manipulate the CBA, and become free agents?

For example. Can Chris Paul retire at the end of this season, forgo the remaining money on his contract and come back next year with another team?

goingfor28
04-28-2014, 12:26 PM
No

bucketss
04-28-2014, 12:36 PM
No

Chronz
04-28-2014, 12:44 PM
no broh

Whats going to happen is that the players force trades , you know, the good ol fashion way to leave town. Then the league will be forced to act in ways that have never been showcased.

lamzoka
04-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Can you guys elaborate. No.... because?

Clippersfan86
04-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Because they are contracts bound by the CBA. Easier to find a loophole in banishing Sterling than it would be in this. I think the entire team just demands a trade more likely. I know all of you mofo fans of other teams wish you could have BG/DJ/CP3 though lol.

Greg.
04-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Hasn't Derek Fisher "retired" 2-3 times already, just to come back a couple of month later and sign with a top contender?

2-ONE-5
04-28-2014, 01:05 PM
dont act like they didnt know Sterling was a POS and a racist before signing there. they are still getting their millions

nickdymez
04-28-2014, 01:10 PM
dont act like they didnt know Sterling was a POS and a racist before signing there. they are still getting their millions

How would they know that? Also, Why would they sign there when they could sign with any other team in the league. No one is being overpaid to badly on the Clippers.

Chronz
04-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Can you guys elaborate. No.... because?

Because its a guaranteed contract for BOTH sides. The only thing you can control is your effort level, make yourself expendable. Its shady but in this situation, no one would blame you for it.

P&GRealist
04-28-2014, 01:13 PM
Hasn't Derek Fisher "retired" 2-3 times already, just to come back a couple of month later and sign with a top contender?

No

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it would be easier to force a trade

archdevil84
04-28-2014, 01:18 PM
so the entire clippers team is gonna be spread out over the league next year? awesome! i hope the heat get deandre jordan!!!

mike_noodles
04-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Well there are morals clauses in the players contracts. I doubt it extends to the organizational side of things.

Chronz
04-28-2014, 01:23 PM
How would they know that? Also, Why would they sign there when they could sign with any other team in the league. No one is being overpaid to badly on the Clippers.

Are you saying you never had any inkling of racism on DTS part?

Goose17
04-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Technically couldn't they reach some sort of buy out agreement? It's more likely they get traded but whatever, there's probably another option.

nickdymez
04-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Are you saying you never had any inkling of racism on DTS part?

I have an "Inkling" of racsim on everyones part, not to this extent.

2-ONE-5
04-28-2014, 01:30 PM

bcuz he is paying them millions thats why they signed there. do you really think an 80 year old billionaire ******* like Sterling doesnt have a reputation? they might not have known much or encountered it directly but they defintely had to hear a little somthing before. its just much much worse now that it has all gone public

nickdymez
04-28-2014, 01:37 PM
bcuz he is paying them millions thats why they signed there. do you really think an 80 year old billionaire ******* like Sterling doesnt have a reputation? they might not have known much or encountered it directly but they defintely had to hear a little somthing before. its just much much worse now that it has all gone public

There are 29 or so other teams where they could have signed. Donald Sterling isnt the only racist owner paying these guys millions.

torocan
04-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Because its a guaranteed contract for BOTH sides. The only thing you can control is your effort level, make yourself expendable. Its shady but in this situation, no one would blame you for it.

I remember reading that virtually every player in the NBA suffers from some sort of chronic ailment, whether it's plantar fasciatis, back issues, knee issues, etc. Many of them can't really be diagnosed and determined except on the basis of how much pain a player feels.

If Sterling is still the owner next year, I could easily see a lot of sustained injuries on the roster next year if they don't let them walk and try to force them to play.

DNP - Owner is a douc.... er, plantar fasciatis.

2-ONE-5
04-28-2014, 01:54 PM
There are 29 or so other teams where they could have signed. Donald Sterling isnt the only racist owner paying these guys millions.

i dont disgaree that he isnt the only racist owner but it doesnt change that they had to know a little about him.

blastmasta26
04-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Sterling has always had the reputation of being a racist, nothing at all was surprising about his latest faux pas.

JasonJohnHorn
04-28-2014, 02:20 PM

Fisher always got teams to release him from his contract. Like with the Jazz. They were paying him BIG bucks and he wasn't performing. He wanted to go to LAL to be close where his daughter was getting medical treatments. The Jazz did the classy thing and released him. It saved them money, and let him go where he wanted.

With the Mavs, they weren't playing Fisher, he got injured. The released him from his contract because he thought he'd be out the season, then he recovered quicker than expected and signed with the Thunder.

PhillyFaninLA
04-28-2014, 02:31 PM
If your a draft pick do you threaten to go to Europe rather than sign with the Clippers if they take you.

2-ONE-5
04-28-2014, 03:02 PM
maybe Minny and LAC can just swap teams

Trueblue2
04-28-2014, 03:24 PM
I have an "Inkling" of racsim on everyones part, not to this extent.

This is like the fifth time sterling has done something incredibly racist and it's gone public...

rhd420
04-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Technically couldn't they reach some sort of buy out agreement? It's more likely they get traded but whatever, there's probably another option.

why would you trade assets? Sterling's opinions have nothing to do with hiring practices within the organization. If you don't play, OK sit out and lose millions of dollars because for a lack of a better term - the Clippers own the players rights which include CP3 and Blake.

Don't think for a second this is a "surprise" to all players, coaches and staff ... it's just gone public now and this is damage control. PR move will be coming as Sterling is going to be stepping down from operations BUT he will still get revenue from the Clippers, the "silent" owner and as bad as this sound, fans will forget by next season. Apology will probably come in a few days - and he'll still make a ton of money on this team like he's done for years no matter how much you hate "believing" something can be done it won't - learn to like it.

Vinylman
04-28-2014, 04:20 PM
players association and the league will force the players to play...

people are so dumb to think there is gonna be a big deal to come out of this...

no one will be talking about this in 3 months...

that POS sterling has been a racist forever... this latest "revelation" is only that in name

rhd420
04-28-2014, 04:35 PM
players association and the league will force the players to play...

people are so dumb to think there is gonna be a big deal to come out of this...

no one will be talking about this in 3 months...

that POS sterling has been a racist forever... this latest "revelation" is only that in name

AGREED
Part of this is fans want their "opinion" and want the happy ending ... sadly they will be disappointed because there is a structure in place that favors Sterling. As I said, this is more a sounding board than anything else for people to feel, say and defend the "morally" right but in the end unless you truly boycott the team, their advertisers and sponsors LONG term, meaning years, the Clippers will be Sterling's, like it or not.

Vinylman
04-28-2014, 04:42 PM
AGREED
Part of this is fans want their "opinion" and want the happy ending ... sadly they will be disappointed because there is a structure in place that favors Sterling. As I said, this is more a sounding board than anything else for people to feel, say and defend the "morally" right but in the end unless you truly boycott the team, their advertisers and sponsors LONG term, meaning years, the Clippers will be Sterling's, like it or not.

If Sterling doesn't want to sell what will probably happen is he will be banned from the league (ie attending games, formal events, etc...) for a long period of time while one of his family members takes over the day to day running of the team...

all the bluster on here about the league having the "LEGAL" ability to force a sale is laughable... reminds me alot of the garbage posters who said AROID was gonna clean the leagues clock in court... still waiting to see that LOL

rhd420
04-28-2014, 04:49 PM
If Sterling doesn't want to sell what will probably happen is he will be banned from the league (ie attending games, formal events, etc...) for a long period of time while one of his family members takes over the day to day running of the team...

all the bluster on here about the league having the "LEGAL" ability to force a sale is laughable... reminds me alot of the garbage posters who said AROID was gonna clean the leagues clock in court... still waiting to see that LOL

He hasn't really attended that many games anyways, he's a business man and it seems like turning a profit has always come first as opposed to winning, he's not the face of the franchise and half the fans didn't know who he was until this.

The process is pretty clear as well as the results, it's just not the results the public or the fans want to hear.

Vinylman
04-28-2014, 05:06 PM
He hasn't really attended that many games anyways, he's a business man and it seems like turning a profit has always come first as opposed to winning, he's not the face of the franchise and half the fans didn't know who he was until this.

The process is pretty clear as well as the results, it's just not the results the public or the fans want to hear.

oh i know... i am sure they just don't want him sitting courtside with his whore...

and yes... unfortunately the talk will always be bigger than the discipline handed out

Pierzynski4Prez
04-28-2014, 05:24 PM
In before CP3 to the Knicks is proclaimed by half the state of NY as a done deal.

goingfor28
04-28-2014, 05:42 PM

Aroid. Clever. He's the only guy to ever juice.

Vinylman
04-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Aroid. Clever. He's the only guy to ever juice.

I could care less that he juiced... personally i don't see anything wrong with PED's

The reference was about his attorneys and it is spot on

NYKNYGNYY
04-28-2014, 06:22 PM
wat is this 3 pages of saying no lol

Kyben36
04-28-2014, 06:32 PM
I say you move the clipper team in total, sell them off back to seatle or something, because of two things, 1, the clippers organization will never get over this in terms of fans and players. and two, LA already has a team anyway, not like its that big of a loss. i know it would suck, but i think that this is the nba's best move, make Sterling sell the team to seatle. at least then the coach, players can stick together and still compete. it would be sad to see that team broken up after all that work to put them together.

Kyben36
04-28-2014, 06:36 PM

the league can not force him to sell you are correct, but there are ways that this could get done, if the whole clipper team threatens a walkout on him, that could hurt profits, Fans will never get over this as long as he is in charge. and it seems like it might be his best option to sell.

Trust me though, im on the other side of the fence, i see nothing wrong with this guy having a point of view. i dont think there is anything that should/could legally force him about because he has an opinion and it was recorded and sent public. this had nothing to do with basketball opererations if you ask me, this was a personal matter in which his GF, AKA da B. recoded him and threw him under the bus to TMZ.

Avenged
04-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Because they are contracts bound by the CBA. Easier to find a loophole in banishing Sterling than it would be in this. I think the entire team just demands a trade more likely. I know all of you mofo fans of other teams wish you could have BG/DJ/CP3 though lol.

Griffin hell yeah. Chris Paul, sure. DJ? Naaaaah. I'll pass. Don't know why he just irks me.

Gibby23
04-28-2014, 06:41 PM
the league can not force him to sell you are correct, but there are ways that this could get done, if the whole clipper team threatens a walkout on him, that could hurt profits, Fans will never get over this as long as he is in charge. and it seems like it might be his best option to sell.

Trust me though, im on the other side of the fence, i see nothing wrong with this guy having a point of view. i dont think there is anything that should/could legally force him about because he has an opinion and it was recorded and sent public. this had nothing to do with basketball opererations if you ask me, this was a personal matter in which his GF, AKA da B. recoded him and threw him under the bus to TMZ.

I would like to see the team stop playing and walk out. Im sure most of them can not go without a paycheck for long and there would be a bunch of guys that would play there for money. There is only a certain number of Max contracts or high dollar contracts that can be given out by the other teams, if the Clippers have money to spend, players will come play there.

Phenomenonsense
04-28-2014, 06:42 PM
If willing to forego all their money, they could just go for a buyout where they get 0$.

torocan
04-28-2014, 08:18 PM
I was thinking on this, and after reading this article these comments from Rockets owner Les Alexander leaped out at me.

“I thought that there’s got to be a way to disrupt him from owning the team,” said Alexander, who after 20 years owning the Rockets is one of the longest tenured owners in the NBA. “I gave him the sword to deal with this. I said, ‘Let the players become free agents.’”...

Alexander said the goal of his suggestion was not to break up the Clippers, considered among the league’s top teams, or even to punish Sterling. He said the objective was solely to back Sterling into a corner from which he will choose to sell the Clippers....

“I mentioned that to Adam,” Alexander said. “I told Adam ... if he loses his players, nobody is going to want to go there. He’ll only be able to get a player that is worth $2 million and will play for $12 (million.) And who is going to want to coach there?

“If you’re a player in the NBA you don’t want to play for somebody like that. If you worked for a company, you would walk away and say, ‘I’m gone.” I think the players should have that right.”...

“He listened to it,” Alexander said. “He said he hadn’t heard that before. He said to me, ‘You always give me a novel idea that I haven’t heard before.’ He told me he would look at it and see what the professionals around him think.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2014/04/calling-sterling-comments-disgusting-leslie-alexander-seeks-to-drive-him-from-nba/

I was thinking about how it would be possible, then it occurred to me that the CBA is a contractual agreement between the NBA and the NBAPA. It can't be contravened because it is a contract between mutual parties.

However, like any contract it can be amended upon agreement between both the NBA Owners and the Players Association.

So, IF the NBA Ownership AND the NBAPA are willing to ratify either an amendment or an exception for the Clippers players, then in theory they could grant a one-time exception for EVERY player on the Clippers team to enter Free Agency at the end of the season.

Not quite a nuclear option, but pretty darn close. Of course, this runs the risk of Sterling holding his ground and watching Griffin, Paul, DJ and everyone else walk out the door. However, it would essentially destroy the value of the Clippers franchise and leave Sterling without a viable NBA team.

So it may just be possible, assuming enough Owners and the NBAPA are BOTH on board with it.

Of course, this would be scary as heck if you're a Clippers fan.... however at least it's not contraction.