PDA

View Full Version : Should the Clippers players quit on the season?

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 08:30 AM
Do you think the players should give it there all, sacrifice their body etc to try to win a championship knowing their owner is a racists, do you simply quit?

goingfor28
04-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Pretty sure we already have this thread

effen5
04-28-2014, 09:00 AM
And pretty sure the is no

C-ross12
04-28-2014, 09:01 AM
They should quit, but they won't. Some things are more important then a basketball game. I'd put racial equality up there. It's one of the most important aspects of American culture IMHO. It would be a wonderful statement if these players just didn't play. Turning your jerseys inside out does very little for me personally. I actually would be willing to bet Sterling is laughing somewhere, thinking "I can say I hate black people, and all they do is turn Jerseys inside out?". Sports figures have the chance to push issues like these in positive ways. Some have. Some haven't. Ali did, Paul didn't.

bmanjones
04-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Should they quit the season? So because some lady used a tape recorder in a private conversation to exploit someone else for her own personal gain, they should quit the season? Sterling is ignorant and racist, but why the hell would they quit. Players and coaches are what matter from game to game , and GM's put the pieces in play. They worked their *** off all year to get to the playoffs, why would they ever quit because of the comments of an idiot who some of them probably didn't even know his name before this incident? Players play for themselves, their teammates and coaches, not the owner.

sunsfan88
04-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Not entirely. But I would have liked to see them boycott game 4 and go back to playing after that.

Angels4Ever
04-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Playing for a Championship is the reason you play the game period. I would play out the season. If the Clippers win the Championship, which is a longshot, boycott any event that the owner attends also. After the season, demand a trade and coaches should resign if he still owns the teams. This is the best team Donald Sterling has ever owned and he dug his own grave.

nycericanguy
04-28-2014, 10:25 AM
rotfl! Yes, they should give up on everything they've worked so hard this season for, just because an old, rich, white guy said something racist in his house...lol.

By that logic I'd say there are about 25 other teams that should quit too...

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 10:31 AM
rotfl! Yes, they should give up on everything they've worked so hard this season for, just because an old, rich, white guy said something racist in his house...lol.

By that logic I'd say there are about 25 other teams that should quit too...

So you don't mind winning a championship for a racist, especially if you're black?

Sportfan
04-28-2014, 10:31 AM
No, they would be disgracing the game. It's disrespectful for the fans of the Clippers who paid hundreds of dollars for tickets to see their beloved team mail it in.

If I'm the clippers, i wear generic all black jersey shorts sneakers and play my heart out for a chip.

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 10:34 AM
No, they would be disgracing the game. It's disrespectful for the fans of the Clippers who paid hundreds of dollars for tickets to see their beloved team mail it in.

If I'm the clippers, i wear generic all black jersey shorts sneakers and play my heart out for a chip.

I totally agree, I'm torn because you play to win, but after finding out your boss is a racist piece of ****, do you really want to win a chip knowing he'll be apart of it even if you don't want him too?

Sportfan
04-28-2014, 10:34 AM
So you don't mind winning a championship for a racist, especially if you're black?

I'm pretty sure a title is more valuable to the players, coaches, the front office, and especially the fans than to Sterling, otherwise he would have made a much greater effort to win

mRc08
04-28-2014, 10:35 AM
I heard some sports radio personalities saying they should have not played yesterday, even as far as to say that all of the other teams should have not played yesterday. It would have sent a strong message and been remembered forever in NBA history.

With that said, I don't think they should have not played. The clips are trying to win a championship for themselves and the fans. Sure the owner would benefit from the publicity and financial gains of a championship, but I'm sure the commissioners office would be able to fine him any additional revenue generated through post season success.

Sportfan
04-28-2014, 10:36 AM
I totally agree, I'm torn because you play to win, but after finding out your boss is a racist piece of ****, do you really want to win a chip knowing he'll be apart of it even if you don't want him too?

What does quitting on the season do to help anyone other than the Warriors? Sure it may help get Sterling out, but next week does any Clipper employee or fan feel any better about the situation after throwing their playoff chances?

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 10:36 AM
I'm pretty sure a title is more valuable to the players, coaches, the front office, and especially the fans than to Sterling, otherwise he would have made a much greater effort to win

It's more valuable to him as well, I'm pretty sure he didn't sign CP3 and Doc for no reason

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 10:39 AM
What does quitting on the season do to help anyone other than the Warriors? Sure it may help get Sterling out, but next week does any Clipper employee or fan feel any better about the situation after throwing their playoff chances?

But again would you feel better knowing I've put more money in Sterling pockets, made a place for him in NBA history, are you willing to risk your health for an owner who doesn't like/respect your race?

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 10:41 AM
I heard some sports radio personalities saying they should have not played yesterday, even as far as to say that all of the other teams should have not played yesterday. It would have sent a strong message and been remembered forever in NBA history.

With that said, I don't think they should have not played. The clips are trying to win a championship for themselves and the fans. Sure the owner would benefit from the publicity and financial gains of a championship, but I'm sure the commissioners office would be able to fine him any additional revenue generated through post season success.

Hes a billionaire, he probably won't even feel the fine, plus it doesn't change the fact he would be part of NBA Championship history if the Clips were to win it all

ewing
04-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Why do some people demand pointless self rightousness? DS will be punished by the league, the players will be unwilling to work for him after this year, and no one will sponsor his team. He is done. It will be impossible for him to remain as a figure in the NBA. Why would the Clippers players give up on there season?

Crackadalic
04-28-2014, 10:52 AM
If he is still in position of power after the finals then yes

goingfor28
04-28-2014, 10:55 AM

It would be for themselves, not DTS

goingfor28
04-28-2014, 10:56 AM

They didn't just find this out a few days ago. He has a history of well documented racist stuff to his name.

Crackadalic
04-28-2014, 11:00 AM
They didn't just find this out a few days ago. He has a history of well documented racist stuff to his name.

I question how many players actually know his dark history

Probably a ignorant bigot but still.

nycericanguy
04-28-2014, 11:08 AM

millions of people go to work everyday for racist CEO's to help them make more money... that's part of life.

You play and win for yourself... because it's what you love to do... you would ruin your legacy just to spite a racist is the better question?

bmanjones
04-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Hes a billionaire, he probably won't even feel the fine, plus it doesn't change the fact he would be part of NBA Championship history if the Clips were to win it all

Who cares who owns the team. How many NBA players can you name who won a championship? Coaches? How about owners? No one cares who owns the team for championships, the guy is scum, the players should use this as motivation to win in spite of the owner, play for themselves, their teamates and coach. I'm sure he will probably sell after this year from the backlash.

ewing
04-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Did Willie Mays Hayes quit? What about Jake Taylor? Ricky Vaughn?

Chronz
04-28-2014, 12:07 PM
All I know is that I cant go to a game and support the players without paying DTS. Wish there was some way to let the players know that the majority of fans dont care about management, just the core group of guys we cheer for. This is why I've always been a fan of the NBA and its players more than a single team/corporation. Makes ignoring incompetence/ignorance so much easier than die hard team fans. Just hope the players can get over this.

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 01:10 PM
All I know is that I cant go to a game and support the players without paying DTS. Wish there was some way to let the players know that the majority of fans dont care about management, just the core group of guys we cheer for. This is why I've always been a fan of the NBA and its players more than a single team/corporation. Makes ignoring incompetence/ignorance so much easier than die hard team fans. Just hope the players can get over this.

I think the fans should boycott, they deserve better!

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 01:11 PM
millions of people go to work everyday for racist CEO's to help them make more money... that's part of life.

You play and win for yourself... because it's what you love to do... you would ruin your legacy just to spite a racist is the better question?

Brah don't compare the NBA to and everyday job, is there a potential to tear your ACL, or any injury that May affected your career and life forever for an racist?

ewing
04-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Brah don't compare the NBA to and everyday job, is there a potential to tear your ACL, or any injury that May affected your career and life forever for an racist?

you cant tear and ACL on a construction site? hmmmm... anyway you are right they are not comparable b/c NBA players can run this guy out of the league and they are already doing that. Your self righteous grandstanding would only punish players and other employees who have done nothing wrong.

ewing
04-28-2014, 01:17 PM

as a long time knick fan i think clipper fans were given an excellent product to root for this year.

torocan
04-28-2014, 01:18 PM
I think this is an impossible question to answer.

On the one hand you have Sterling, on the other hand you have money, your fans and your team mates.

And it's a LOT easier to put your money on the line when you're a star than when you're a role player fighting for a spot in the NBA.

Would I blame a player for taking off the jersey and saying, "Thanks but no thanks?" No. And I'd probably admire them for it.
Would I call a player dirt for deciding that they wanted to play for their team mates and fans? No.

These guys are in an impossible situation, and I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer at this point. That said, if you're a FA in the off season and Sterling is still the owner, I'd lose a LOT of respect for anyone except a drafted player or role player desperate to break into the NBA, unless they were forcing Sterling to pay a massive premium.

Like if they offered a Max Contract when you're only worth $3M/year or something, I could see that as okay. Sure, you're playing for a racist POS, but if he's paying a 5x price premium, then you're the one doing the exploiting. ;)

Chronz
04-28-2014, 01:26 PM

Thats the thing , we got better. We got a team capable of contention. It was just at the behest of a bigot. We can boycott the bigot but it would still hurt our team.

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 01:39 PM
as a long time knick fan i think clipper fans were given an excellent product to root for this year.

Too bad the owner doesn't want certain race to attend, they deserve better!

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Thats the thing , we got better. We got a team capable of contention. It was just at the behest of a bigot. We can boycott the bigot but it would still hurt our team.

Yeah I see your point, idk if you're African American but seriously how can you attend games after hearing that? And know you made this guy millions by attending game it has to be hard

ewing
04-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Too bad the owner doesn't want certain race to attend, they deserve better!

you watch games to gain insight into the owner's worldview?

raiderfaninTX
04-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Every win puts more money in the hand of the man that only has them there to dance.

Also it reinforces his mind set of it's not racist because he puts food on their table. He is probably laughing about how he said this and they continue to go out into the field and work.

I just don't know how people can put this into some type of grey area. It's simple for me , stand up for yourself as a human being and a minority. Show that you won't add money to the pockets or support the man who thinks less of you

Big Zo
04-28-2014, 01:54 PM
No. I doubt he'll be an owner much longer, and the fine he receives for this will likely be more than what the Clippers make from their playoff revenue, anyway. He'd also be wise to move out of LA, since I don't think he'll be safe there.

koreancabbage
04-28-2014, 01:56 PM
and what? prove to all the racist pricks out there that they are going to lie down and just quit because someone was racist to them (or about them). By quitting, it would give all the racist pricks that African Americans, or whoever is discriminated against, more fire.

ewing
04-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Clipper fans should be happy. They have a good team and there incompetent douche of an owner is about to get run out of the league, why the hell would you turn off the TV now? Do you know how happy i would be if James Dolan said something stupid enough to get himself run out of the league?

goingfor28
04-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Yeah I see your point, idk if you're African American but seriously how can you attend games after hearing that? And know you made this guy millions by attending game it has to be hard

Yes you are paying DTS by attending games. But you're also paying guys like Blake and Chris, down to Willie green, Ryan hollins, the popcorn guy, the janitors, ticket salespeople, the beer man etc. Those people all deserve to be paid when we as fans attend games.

goingfor28
04-28-2014, 02:04 PM
No. I doubt he'll be an owner much longer, and the fine he receives for this will likely be more than what the Clippers make from their playoff revenue, anyway. He'd also be wise to move out of LA, since I don't think he'll be safe there.

He should move to Compton

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 02:35 PM
you watch games to gain insight into the owner's worldview?

No but why put money in an owners pockets who clearly doesn't want you there?

ewing
04-28-2014, 02:38 PM
No but why put money in an owners pockets who clearly doesn't want you there?

b/c you are the buying ticket b/c you find the game entertaining and the owner has generational wealth regardless of weather you or other fan goes to the game. Your bluster is pointless

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 02:44 PM
b/c you are the buying ticket b/c you find the game entertaining and the owner has generational wealth regardless of weather you or other fan goes to the game. Your bluster is pointless

As an African American you're not getting it, the guy said doesn't want blacks to attend, there's other ways to support your team... I rather watch the game then go to it knowing I'm putting money in a racist pocket!

goingfor28
04-28-2014, 03:00 PM
As an African American you're not getting it, the guy said doesn't want blacks to attend, there's other ways to support your team... I rather watch the game then go to it knowing I'm putting money in a racist pocket!

But you're also putting money into the picket of everyone who works at Staples. From CP to the popcorn guy.

torocan
04-28-2014, 03:03 PM
But you're also putting money into the picket of everyone who works at Staples. From CP to the popcorn guy.

While true, that also can't be a justification for inaction. Unfortunately there will always be collateral damage when dealing with individuals like Sterling.

As for the players, they still get paid regardless. They have a contract.

And don't forget you always have the option of buying extra popcorn once there's a new owner to make up for your lack of caloric contributions.

smith&wesson
04-28-2014, 03:07 PM
If I was doc rivers I would not have my players suite up for home games..

plain and simple the clippers have two players whom arent from an afrincan american decent. this means that Donald hates 90% of its players and god knows how many other employees.

its a time to stand up to this sort of behaviour and show that it no longer has any place in our society.

Method28
04-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Clipper fans should be happy. They have a good team and there incompetent douche of an owner is about to get run out of the league, why the hell would you turn off the TV now? Do you know how happy i would be if James Dolan said something stupid enough to get himself run out of the league?

Well because it feels like this is ruining our playoff run AND like it could possibly lead to the dismantling of the team we have grown to love so much.

Goose17
04-28-2014, 05:08 PM
plain and simple the clippers have two players whom arent from an afrincan american decent. this means that Donald hates 90% of its players and god knows how many other employees.

Technically, 85.8%

goingfor28
04-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Well because it feels like this is ruining our playoff run AND like it could possibly lead to the dismantling of the team we have grown to love so much.

Exactly. It sucks.

NBA_Starter
04-28-2014, 07:23 PM
No, you play for yourself and your family and to get your name in the rafters not for some ignorant owner.

Cracka2HI!
04-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Exactly. It sucks.

There's never been a worse time to be a Clipper fan. I'd rather have Olwakandi and Brunson back than this.

Method28
04-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Exactly. It sucks.

There's never been a worse time to be a Clipper fan. I'd rather have Olwakandi and Brunson back than this.

Idk about that one for myself lol

I think this is a great opportunity to really do something. They have a opportunity to show true grit and bravery imo.

I really feel both teams should boycott the game. I feel that would be ideal and they both could go down in the history books.

This is also a chance for the team to TRULY move forward and leave Sterling and the bad times behind. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Cracka2HI!
04-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Idk about that one for myself lol

I think this is a great opportunity to really do something. They have a opportunity to show true grit and bravery imo.

I really feel both teams should boycott the game. I feel that would be ideal and they both could go down in the history books.

This is also a chance for the team to TRULY move forward and leave Sterling and the bad times behind. Could be a blessing in disguise.
I agree that this story could have a happy ending. I'm not certain it will. I can't really see the league forcing Sterling to give up the team. I can see them suspending forever. I'm not sure if that will be good enough for Doc and the players. My hope is that Sterling will see that his team is worth more than it every will be and the value will plummet if he keeps the team. He is a good business man so maybe he will sell high.

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 10:23 PM

What about Maggette and Brand?

goingfor28
04-28-2014, 10:38 PM
What about Maggette and Brand?

Went to the playoffs

freejimmer
04-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Should this thread be deleted? Yes.

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Should I be deleted? Yes.

Fixed