PDA

View Full Version : TNT Kenny Smith: DeRozan a superstar in the making

FriedTofuz
04-28-2014, 05:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gPHtGCCqPXk

I think if Derozan can be a consistent playmaker, play better defense/ rebound, and get his 3pt shot up, there's no reason why he cant be a 20/5/5 player.

Twolves88
04-28-2014, 06:27 AM

I think if Derozan can be a consistent playmaker, play better defense/ rebound, and get his 3pt shot up, there's no reason why he cant be a 20/5/5 player.

So basically do everything that he was suppose to have worked on since being drafted?

I think this is all just hype to get people pumped about he EC playoffs nothing more.

DemarDerozan
04-28-2014, 07:23 AM
So basically do everything that he was suppose to have worked on since being drafted?
I think this is all just hype to get people pumped about he EC playoffs nothing more.

DeRozan is better than any SG in the league not named Harden or Dragic. And has the coaching, demeanor and organizational support to surpass everyone next season.

2-ONE-5
04-28-2014, 10:18 AM

lol that is the case for half the league. but no hes not on the way to becoming a super star

2-ONE-5
04-28-2014, 10:22 AM
DeRozan is better than any SG in the league not named Harden or Dragic. And has the coaching, demeanor and organizational support to surpass everyone next season.

hes in the same boat as guys like Matthews, Thompson, Beal, Martin, Ellis, Ginobli

ScottFromCanada
04-28-2014, 10:26 AM

Superstar is a stretch. He doesn't have the Defense, Ball-Handling or Shot Selection to be a superstar.

lajoie
04-28-2014, 10:28 AM

He's already a 20/5/5 player basically. Doesn't necessarily make him a superstar.

Crackadalic
04-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Gives him another year or two before claiming superstar status

LanceUpperCut
04-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Maybe you haven't looked at his stats this year, he took a big jump in assist, turnovers and a big jump in defense also a jump in FTA which he's among the league best. The 3pt shot will never be elite but it can be better. Perennial all-star sure, superstar probably not but then again if guys like Harden and PG are considered superstars then yes he can get to that level.

flea
04-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Kenny Smith is dumb. I remember having a conversation in the NBA forum and someone tried to tell me that Kenny Smith was a star player on the '94 Rockets, and that because of that Hakeem did not win a ring as the sole star. I still laugh when I think of peanut-head being called an NBA star.

kozelkid
04-28-2014, 12:28 PM
So I take it that he'll be the new faux-superstar shoved down our throats after PG inevitably showed that he wasn't one.

Sadds The Gr8
04-28-2014, 12:40 PM
So I take it that he'll be the new faux-superstar shoved down our throats after PG inevitably showed that he wasn't one.

only if we win this series and not get swept by Miami. I love him but he's not even the best player on our team. As great as he was in the 1st half last night, he was horrible in the 2nd half

gwrighter
04-28-2014, 12:52 PM
hes in the same boat as guys like Matthews, Thompson, Beal, Martin, Ellis, Ginobli

I only see one all-star there so it's safe to say that he's in the cut above all of those guys. Derozan is the linchpin of our offence meanwhile none of those guys mentioned are as important to their teams offensively.

only if we win this series and not get swept by Miami. I love him but he's not even the best player on our team. As great as he was in the 1st half last night, he was horrible in the 2nd half

They were sending double and sometimes had even triple coverage. He wasn't horrible he was mostly a decoy in the second half spacing the floor for his teammates to create. I don't really see a problem with Kenny's statement. I don't think he'll be good enough to ascend next season but I don't see why he's not a superstar in the making.

kozelkid
04-28-2014, 12:52 PM

It kills me how many talented perimeter players have recently came into the league (Wall, Derozan, Beal) who can't seem to be efficient enough offensively.

phantasyyy
04-28-2014, 01:13 PM
It kills me how many talented perimeter players have recently came into the league (Wall, Derozan, Beal) who can't seem to be efficient enough offensively.

This is Derozan's first year as the first option, obviously theres going to be growing pains from him adjusting from the second option(w/ Rudy Gay) and now being the teams offensive catalyst. That being said, the team struggles immensely when hes not on the floor, and the Terrence ross has done nothing to help space the floor for him.

Sadds The Gr8
04-28-2014, 01:13 PM
I only see one all-star there so it's safe to say that he's in the cut above all of those guys. Derozan is the linchpin of our offence meanwhile none of those guys mentioned are as important to their teams offensively.

They were sending double and sometimes had even triple coverage. He wasn't horrible he was mostly a decoy in the second half spacing the floor for his teammates to create. I don't really see a problem with Kenny's statement. I don't think he'll be good enough to ascend next season but I don't see why he's not a superstar in the making.

in the beginning of he 3rd Q he was forcing terrible shots. brooklyn made their run and took the lead at that point. in the 4th he forced a couple nice TO's from Joe Johnson, but overall in the 2nd half he struggled regardless of the coverage. he was like 0-7 or something

MrfadeawayJB
04-28-2014, 01:44 PM
All star but not superstar

Kushed
04-28-2014, 01:54 PM
it seems like he's been in the league for a long time already lol but he's only 24... he's shown he can be better but definitely not superstar worthy

Sly Guy
04-28-2014, 02:06 PM
he improves every year, which is what I like about him, but as a few other raptor-posters have pointed out, he's taken a step or two towards 'rudy gay' in his style and that troubles me. The 3rd quarter last night was an example of that. He took a lot of off-balance contested shots which reminded me of how he looked in game 1.

I won't project his ceiling, but like a lot of things about my raptors this year, he could surprise a lot of people with his continued growth.

ScottFromCanada
04-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Who does Kenny Smith define as the worst NBA superstar that's what i'd like to know.

FriedTofuz
04-28-2014, 02:46 PM
It's okay, ya'll dont see him enough so you wont think he'll be a superstar. I personally think he has the potential to get there, but is far from it. As soon as he can add a 3PT to his arsenal, he'll be a lot better, and will become stronger wit the ball to set up team mates when he gets double teamed

kozelkid
04-28-2014, 02:55 PM
It's okay, ya'll dont see him enough so you wont think he'll be a superstar. I personally think he has the potential to get there, but is far from it. As soon as he can add a 3PT to his arsenal, he'll be a lot better, and will become stronger wit the ball to set up team mates when he gets double teamed

Oh give me a break. In order to be a superstar perimeter player, you typically need to have great ball-handling skills (Derozan doesn't) and capable of being an elite scorer which means scoring at a very efficient level. Derozan does neither. Part of that stems from taking too many long 2's, and part of that stems from not being a good 3pt shooter.

Maybe that'll change, but I have my doubts. He has to at least get his TS% to 55 before we can even be entertaining this conversation. As such, he is currently in the same conversation as the Josh Howard's, Latrell Sprewell's and Jerry Stackhouse's; wings who took a high volume of shots, but were inefficient because of their high reliance on the long 2.

Ebbs
04-28-2014, 02:55 PM
I don't see a superstar.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=derozde01&y1=2014&p2=bryanko01&y2=2001&p3=drexlcl01&y3=1988&p4=cartevi01&y4=2003&p5=iversal01&y5=2001&p6=piercpa01&y6=2003

Comparatively to some former superstar wings in their fifth year.

He doesn't have the volume or efficiency of most of them.

NYKnickFanatic
04-28-2014, 03:03 PM
See Paul George.

koreancabbage
04-28-2014, 03:03 PM
he improves every year, which is what I like about him, but as a few other raptor-posters have pointed out, he's taken a step or two towards 'rudy gay' in his style and that troubles me. The 3rd quarter last night was an example of that. He took a lot of off-balance contested shots which reminded me of how he looked in game 1.

I won't project his ceiling, but like a lot of things about my raptors this year, he could surprise a lot of people with his continued growth.

exactly. him and lowry facilitate this offense, and thats what is troubling. Casey is becoming to dependant on these two players that if derozan fails to score 20 plus points on any night, we're toast. But look at his FG% for these playoffs.

He is essentially shooting Raptors in the foot with his poor shot selection and isolation plays. I mean the whole team is doing poorly but we need to find another source of offense who will get better shots for the shots that Derozan should not be taking. Offense has been stagnant. Not surprisingly, with playoff basketball, possessions mean everything. It seems that all possessions start and end at either Derozan or Lowry nowadays. Casey is so one-dimensional on offense, he won't run plays that can free Ross

BALLER R
04-28-2014, 03:06 PM
This is Derozan's first year as the first option, obviously theres going to be growing pains from him adjusting from the second option(w/ Rudy Gay) and now being the teams offensive catalyst. That being said, the team struggles immensely when hes not on the floor, and the Terrence ross has done nothing to help space the floor for him.

That's not true.

BALLER R
04-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Demar is good not great. Superstars are great.

smith&wesson
04-28-2014, 03:22 PM
no way he is a super star... all star, sure.. but no super star

TrueFan420
04-28-2014, 04:02 PM

Hahaha and you wouldn't be bias to think that would you?

Minimal
04-28-2014, 04:10 PM
For me he is in Monta Ellis level, not all star, not super star for sure.

Goose17
04-28-2014, 04:14 PM
He is in no way a super star and I doubt he ever will be. He's a high caliber player with the potential to be an all star a few times, that's all I see.

FriedTofuz
04-28-2014, 05:12 PM
I didnt say he was a superstar, I said he's a superstar in the making. There's a difference..

Goose17
04-28-2014, 05:20 PM
I didnt say he was a superstar, I said he's a superstar in the making. There's a difference..

I disagree. I don't see the potential for him to become a superstar.

When you say superstar I'm assuming you're talking Lebron, Durant, Griffin, CP3, Curry etc

I don't see it.

FriedTofuz
04-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Of course you dont see it. who watches canada? other than canadians, the rest of the audience is missing out.

FriedTofuz
04-28-2014, 05:28 PM
I think he has potential to be better than Harden.

LanceUpperCut
04-28-2014, 05:32 PM
If I made a thread last year at this time saying DeMar will be an All-star I'd see a hundred post on how unlikely it would be, not saying he will be a superstar but I truly only see maybe a handful of superstars in the league right now so I guess it depends on the definition.

One thing I know about Demar is he will work his *** off at areas he needs to improve on and he came in the league extremely raw so it may seem like he's been around for a while he is still young and learning.

Goose17
04-28-2014, 05:43 PM

Yeah, sure, so an all star but not a superstar. Unless you consider Harden a superstar?

smith&wesson
04-28-2014, 05:46 PM
For me he is in Monta Ellis level, not all star, not super star for sure.

hes already an all star

FriedTofuz
04-28-2014, 05:49 PM
I consider Harden an super star since he's the best SG in the game despite his struggles. Kobe's injured

Bookey
04-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Derozan > Harden

Hawkeye15
04-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Kenny Smith is dumb. I remember having a conversation in the NBA forum and someone tried to tell me that Kenny Smith was a star player on the '94 Rockets, and that because of that Hakeem did not win a ring as the sole star. I still laugh when I think of peanut-head being called an NBA star.

Kenny was an average starting PG who could hit the 3 of rotation basically by those years. Hell, the Rox started to close with Cassell after a while over Smith.

To the thread, DeRozan has improved as a player this year, for sure. But he doesn't have superstar level upside, otherwise by his tenure in the NBA, he would already be an all star and being talked about for an All NBA team nod.

Now, do I think he can turn into a Joe Johnson type impact player (yes, we all know JJ makes insane money to be a borderline all star during his career)? Yes. But superstar? Nah

Hawkeye15
04-28-2014, 06:16 PM
I consider Harden an super star since he's the best SG in the game despite his struggles. Kobe's injured

Harden is a star to me, but his utter lack of defense inhibits him being a superstar. Obviously every year is different, but there are really never more than a few real superstars in the league any given year.

Hawkeye15
04-28-2014, 06:17 PM

but they are the same age, and Harden is already a better player. Don't see how he catches Harden quite frankly.

zn23
04-28-2014, 06:21 PM
I disagree with Smith. I've watched almost every Raptors game this season. He can't play defense. His play making is not that good. His only offensive move is a pump fake. Average ball handling skills. Dribbled the ball off of his foot in late game situations. Lives off the free throw line.

FriedTofuz
04-28-2014, 06:50 PM
I think demar was a late bloomer, he's played with a ton of different teamates during his time compared to most other drafted players from the 2009 draft. Also Harden came out of college with better playmaking and shooting than Derozan. I think Derozan is a player who constantly works on his game and improves his weaknesses. He's got to get a better 3PT shot though. I dont know how much his defense will change, but if he solidifies a 3Pt, it will space the floor better and he'll be able to create more oppertunities for people.

Miltstar
04-28-2014, 06:52 PM
I think he's a star for sure but superstar to me is reserved for the top 5ish players in the league, I don't think he's gonna get there... He needs to hustle his *** back on defense if he wants all of my respect, I was screaming at him through my TV last night haha.

Him and Valanciunas certainly look like the core of a contending team in the East for years to come. Only problem is with him and T-Ross, one of them has to play out of position, I know it's not a big issue right now as Derozan is clearly "the guy" but in a year or two I expect T-Ross to be a very similar player

J4KOP99
04-28-2014, 06:53 PM
He moves like a young Kobe Bryant.

ThaDubs
04-28-2014, 06:56 PM
20/5/5? He's a 23/4/4 player, I don't see why he can't be more like 25/6/6?

FriedTofuz
04-28-2014, 07:14 PM
I said 20/5/5 cus people be like" but he plays in the east, so it sucks and is easy to score, if he was in the west he'd be like chandler parsons that's it" lol

R. Johnson#3
04-28-2014, 07:30 PM

I love it when people who know nothing about the Raptors start talking.

R. Johnson#3
04-28-2014, 07:33 PM
I think he's going to be a superstar in this league. The guy has gotten better every single year and has an insane work ethic. The dude is constantly working to better himself and it's showing.

GodsSon
04-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Kenny was an average starting PG who could hit the 3 of rotation basically by those years. Hell, the Rox started to close with Cassell after a while over Smith.

To the thread, DeRozan has improved as a player this year, for sure. But he doesn't have superstar level upside, otherwise by his tenure in the NBA, he would already be an all star and being talked about for an All NBA team nod.

Now, do I think he can turn into a Joe Johnson type impact player (yes, we all know JJ makes insane money to be a borderline all star during his career)? Yes. But superstar? Nah

Pretty much this.

I love DeMar and think he's going to be a top 3 SG for the foreseeable future, but he's not a superstar. He might average 25/5/5 next year though which would put him close to that "elite" level.

Jamiecballer
04-28-2014, 08:28 PM

I think you are about right.

kozelkid
04-28-2014, 08:37 PM

Doesn't make his statement wrong.

Hawkeye15
04-28-2014, 08:53 PM
Pretty much this.

I love DeMar and think he's going to be a top 3 SG for the foreseeable future, but he's not a superstar. He might average 25/5/5 next year though which would put him close to that "elite" level.

yeah, I mean, nothing wrong with being one of the top 5 SG's in the league, which he can be. Does it mean he is Durant or LeBron? Of course not, but you can do a whole lot worse than DeRozan at your SG position.

beasted86
04-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Not a superstar, but a good athletic scorer. Think Latrell Spreewell without all the crazy.

BHF
04-28-2014, 09:28 PM

I know everything about the raps have not missed a game in two seasons and i agree with him. Derozan has been way overrated by our fans.

ScottFromCanada
04-28-2014, 09:36 PM
I know everything about the raps have not missed a game in two seasons and i agree with him. Derozan has been way overrated by our fans.

Yup, I hope he is viewed as a superstar though because that way Ujiri will be able to screw another future team in a trade for him.

Miltstar
04-29-2014, 08:21 AM

How has he been overrated by our fans? Maybe a couple, but most are pretty logical... It's been the combination of Lowry and Derozan that have led this team to where they are, one is no more important than the other, what we lack in size and talent we make up for in chemistry and hustle. I'm hoping we can get through Brooklyn and at least make Miami sweat a little, that will be a great season IMO and one we can build on, but it would be absolutely epic if we somehow shocked the world and took down CB4 and his BFFs!!

FlakeyFool
04-29-2014, 09:49 AM
They should trade him at the draft

canzano55
04-29-2014, 11:01 AM
yeah, I mean, nothing wrong with being one of the top 5 SG's in the league, which he can be. Does it mean he is Durant or LeBron? Of course not, but you can do a whole lot worse than DeRozan at your SG position.That's the key thing fans have to remember.

Every club-supporter is hellbent on wanting to know if their guy is in the "elite" category when in reality so few are but that doesn't mean they can't be serviceable.

Derozan is a very good (not great) athletic player who can get to the line - that's good enough for me quite frankly.

mjt20mik
04-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Demar is a hard working kid, and that's paying off for him. He does not have the talent that the elite guards have in this league, and that's why I don't think he'll ever be in the "elite" discussion, but he'll grow (or has grown so far) into a very good 20-5-5 player.

Vampirate
04-29-2014, 12:58 PM
I see Perennial All Star level as Derozan's ceiling with the potential to have superstar like stretches in the regular season. But he just won't be able to sustain a superstar level for a whole season.

This is his potential imo.

dalton749
04-29-2014, 02:03 PM
As a raps fan I'm saying there is 0 chance of him being a superstar.
Potentially a perennial allstar would be impressive for him though

But if anyone uses the east vs west argument they're stupid

We're talking about a guy who thrives in an up tempo style of play but is playing in a grind it out half court style in the east

The pace alone in the west would probably put him around 25/5/5 for this year

ghettosean
04-29-2014, 02:36 PM
As a raps fan I'm saying there is 0 chance of him being a superstar.
Potentially a perennial allstar would be impressive for him though

But if anyone uses the east vs west argument they're stupid

We're talking about a guy who thrives in an up tempo style of play but is playing in a grind it out half court style in the east

The pace alone in the west would probably put him around 25/5/5 for this year

This

Except one exception and I'm also a raps fan... When Derozan was drafted we all know he had superstar potential but was extremely raw when he was drafted all we knew for sure that his athleticism was off the charts. I don't see DD becoming a superstar but the guy has improved every season he's been in the league... He's a hard worker and takes the game super serious which is what I love about him. I'm not going to be the guy to say he's going to stop improving now.

Necrosis
04-29-2014, 03:02 PM
I disagree with Smith. I've watched almost every Raptors game this season. He can't play defense. His play making is not that good. His only offensive move is a pump fake. Average ball handling skills. Dribbled the ball off of his foot in late game situations. Lives off the free throw line.

His only move is a pump fake? the pull up? the fade away, the fact that he drives constantly and gets to the line at the fourth best clip. His defense is very good in fact he can be a lock down defender at times. Opponents score poorly in iso's against him because he is a gigantic shooting guard with athleticism. His defense was suspect, he rarely bites on pump fakes if ever. He is a good defender and his ball handling is light years better then where it was, he can get his shot whenever he wants. Show me a defensive stat that derozan isn't near the top of his position at, advanced stats.

His playmaking is above average for his position. But you are right, he did dribble the ball off his foot a couple times, terrible player.