PDA

View Full Version : What is an appropriate fine for Donald Sterling?

beasted86
04-27-2014, 06:34 PM
Assuming the NBA's investigation holds Sterling accountable for the reported recording, what is an appropriate fine for his actions?

For record keeping, the highest fine that has been given by the NBA was Micky Arison for $525,000 due to twitter posts during the lockout (ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7175679/nba-lockout-miami-heat-owner-micky-arison-fined-500000-twitter-comments-labor-talks-sources-say)).

So with that in mind, this should most likely be higher, but I wonder how far the NBA is willing to go to set an example?

goingfor28
04-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Shot in both knees

Crackadalic
04-27-2014, 06:47 PM
1 year suspension
It happen in baseball with that chick in the 90's for similar racist remarks

I don't see how it's anything different now

PhillyFaninLA
04-27-2014, 06:48 PM
No money, it won't impact him.....he loses team control, the team cannot get a 1st round draft pick as long as he owns the team, he is forced to sell....anything along those lines

I would defiantly say he at the very least he loses team control, now this won't happen but its where I would start.

beasted86
04-27-2014, 06:50 PM
1 year suspension
It happen in baseball with that chick in the 90's for similar racist remarks

I don't see how it's anything different now

So basically all potential profits from the next full season? But at the same time hold Sterling accountable to pay their salaries? NBA would have to take control just like they did for New Orleans then. Also how do you keep the GM from running up the salary cap if nobody is there to say "this isn't a good financial decision"? Minority owners take over decision making (if there are any)?

More-Than-Most
04-27-2014, 06:53 PM
nothing. He did nothing wrong.

king4day
04-27-2014, 06:54 PM
This isn't fine worthy. Banishment or bust. Nothing else.

I just heard the audio. Sounds like the woman was reading from a script. I'd send her somewhere far too. While what Sterling said is despicable, that woman has caused more problems than there needed to be.

Crackadalic
04-27-2014, 06:54 PM
So basically all potential profits from the next full season? But at the same time hold Sterling accountable to pay their salaries? NBA would have to take control just like they did for New Orleans then.

It's all legally possible.

Nba will have to oversee the franchise during the 14-15 season while encouraging sterling to sell the team. A fine will not be big enough and if not there will be a huge backlash.

Nba will not have another black eye like they did with the palace at auburn

This will be situated fast

Vinylman
04-27-2014, 06:57 PM
force him to live in one of his section 8 apartments...

Crackadalic
04-27-2014, 07:02 PM

Yes from his point of view he did not because it's his right to express his views

What isn't is the views have been out in the open and has reach national attention where non basketball people and people who don't even like sports know know he's a racist

It's one thing for the nba and its circles to know he's a racist

It's another thing when you have crack head jimmy down the block and every town know he's a racist. That's bad

You have to look at this in a business standpoint. If anything ruins the image your promoting, regardless if the party is right or wrong on his freedom of speech, they will take immediate action of removal

If the general manager of a McDonalds thoughts on his views of blacks were uneducated people no question the owner would fire him on the spot. Even if he said it in a private matter the fact it go out in the open hurt the image of McDonald and will do w/e it takes to clean it up

Goose17
04-27-2014, 07:04 PM
No money. If anything he'll make money. NBA will take control of the franchise, force him to sell and he'll make a profit considering they weren't worth a whole lot when he bought them (in comparison).

Everyone wins.

Tony_Starks
04-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Nothing. How can you be mad at a guy that doesn't want blacks at his game? Unless they're playing, serving you food, or cleaning up why would you want them there anyway?

They really need to do something about this rebel rousing woman. I think it is totally unfair how she forced that poor man to say things from his heart that some trouble making hypersensitive people would misinterpret as "racist."

kozelkid
04-27-2014, 07:08 PM
I don't know enough about the NBA legal system for owner conduct to pull a random number out of my ***.

Minimal
04-27-2014, 07:09 PM
5 million fine for 81 year old billionaire?
Sorry, but money won't cut it. NBA should force him to sell the team some way, unfortunately I don't know the way for that.
Its hard, because you can't really punish him in any way, even if he sells the team he is gonna profit.

NBA_Starter
04-27-2014, 07:09 PM
He should not be allowed to be an owner in the league anymore, Period!

PhillyFaninLA
04-27-2014, 07:10 PM

Crackadalic
04-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Nothing. How can you be mad at a guy that doesn't want blacks at his game? Unless they're playing, serving you food, or cleaning up why would you want them there anyway?

They really need to do something about this rebel rousing woman. I think it is totally unfair how she forced that poor man to say things from his heart that some trouble making hypersensitive people would misinterpret as "racist."

Because it goes against the image on what the nba is trying to promote

Every sport, business etc have some secret on what shouldn't be blown out of proportion. This has

Like I said if a suspension isn't done their will be money lost and anything that affects money being lost especially a team base in Los angles will be handle immediately

ricky recon
04-27-2014, 07:20 PM
He said something on the phone that he didn't like minorities to his girlfriend. He might be a scumbag, but banning him from the league seems like a violation of private opinion.

The whole "shoot him in the head" thing is worse than what he said. He doesn't torture or murder minorities, he actually employs them with fat paychecks to play basketball.

I definitely think he should fined and maybe have other repercussions seriously evaluated, but all these intolerant comments about him dying and whatnot are plain radical.

No doubt he was completely out of line, and from a business standpoint the NBA needs to carefully evaluate how they can deal with this, but forcing him to sell the team doesn't seem like just punishment.

Crackadalic
04-27-2014, 07:22 PM
He said something on the phone that he didn't like minorities to his girlfriend. He might be a scumbag, but banning him from the league seems like a violation of private opinion.

The whole "shoot him in the head" thing is worse than what he said. He doesn't torture or murder minorities, he actually employs them with fat paychecks to play basketball.

I definitely think he should fined and maybe have other repercussions seriously evaluated, but all these intolerant comments about him dying and whatnot are plain radical.

No doubt he was completely out of line, and from a business standpoint the NBA needs to carefully evaluate how they can deal with this, but forcing him to sell the team doesn't seem like just punishment.

Suspension seems like a more fitting punshiment. Banning is impossible

Tony_Starks
04-27-2014, 07:23 PM
Because it goes against the image on what the nba is trying to promote

Every sport, business etc have some secret on what shouldn't be blown out of proportion. This has

Like I said if a suspension isn't done their will be money lost and anything that affects money being lost especially a team base in Los angles will be handle immediately

And that's what's wrong with society today. When the owner of a corporation with ultimate power to hire and fire countless employees has to be penalized just because he makes a few off color remarks then something is seriously wrong.

All this political correctness really burns my biscuit!

PhillyFaninLA
04-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Suspension seems like a more fitting punishment. Banning is impossible

He owns a franchise not a private company. Corporation have clauses in franchise agreements that franchise owners must follow. He is doing something detrimental to the league image, that may or may not be enough legally speaking.

beasted86
04-27-2014, 07:27 PM

I don't care what your stance on the issue is... but he clearly did something wrong or the commissioner wouldn't hold an immediate press conference in the middle of the playoffs.

Its perfectly okay for you to think what he said isn't fine worthy. We all are free to post our opinion elsewhere, but this thread is about what you think the NBA will fine him assuming they find him accountable for these allegations.

ricky recon
04-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Suspension seems like a more fitting punshiment. Banning is impossible

A suspension has to have very specific guidelines, and the guidelines is what I am referring to.

Nonetheless the whole "kill him" thing is really just ignorant is what I was getting at. It seemed like a lot of people were saying he should be expunged from the league permanently as well (which is why I addressed that).

Crackadalic
04-27-2014, 07:31 PM
He owns a franchise not a private company. Corporation have clauses in franchise agreements that franchise owners must follow. He is doing something detrimental to the league image, that may or may not be enough legally speaking.

This is all base on if the league fines that the audio is indeed him in which he will be question as to why he made those remarks and it's up to the league on what to do from their

Everyone wants him to sell. I doubt it. A fine isn't justly enough neither which is why I brought up the suspension. It happen in mlb. It can happen here too

John Walls Era
04-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Fines are equivalent to a wrist slap, maybe even less than that. Maybe equivalent to a 10 minute timeout.

Method28
04-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Only thing that I feel would be appropriate and would solve the issue is an immediate indefinite suspension and a force sell.

abe_froman
04-27-2014, 07:36 PM
strip him of the franchise or suspend him til tbd

its too much of a pr nightmare to keep him around,and it'll keep coming up every few years if they dont(has it already does,even though it didnt get the national publicity that this time is getting)...i mean hell,you already see that its affecting players.to move on,get back to nba business as usual,you need to be rid of him.

torocan
04-27-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm thinking something more like $10M, 10 year suspension, and threaten to strip the team of 10 years of draft picks if he doesn't agree to selling.

That might be enough to get his attention.

JEDean89
04-27-2014, 07:39 PM
he needs to be done with the nba, done.

hugepatsfan
04-27-2014, 07:52 PM
I really don't know. They could fine him $5 million and it won't really affect him. As appalling as I find his views/comment, I don't think they provide any grounds to force him out as owner. I don't think it would hold up legally. I know emotions are running high and people want him out, but consider the ramifications of if the NBA tries to throw him out and he wins a court battle. If he won in court it would be because of his 1st amendment right to express his beliefs so long as he doesn't deny opportunity/rights to others, but it would be totally misconstrued by the media as the government supporting racism. Much like the Zimmerman case was about the stand-your-ground law but because of media sensationalism it became a black vs. white matter. The same thing would happen with this and it would divide our country on this topic again. Ultimately, that sets us back in the war on racism which I don't want.

This is a really tough situation to take care of. I'm certainly now envious of the spot Silver is in.

warrior63
04-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Ownership of the Clippers.

beasted86
04-27-2014, 08:00 PM
I really don't know. They could fine him $5 million and it won't really affect him. As appalling as I find his views/comment, I don't think they provide any grounds to force him out as owner. I don't think it would hold up legally. I know emotions are running high and people want him out, but consider the ramifications of if the NBA tries to throw him out and he wins a court battle. If he won in court it would be because of his 1st amendment right to express his beliefs so long as he doesn't deny opportunity/rights to others, but it would be totally misconstrued by the media as the government supporting racism. Much like the Zimmerman case was about the stand-your-ground law but because of media sensationalism it became a black vs. white matter. The same thing would happen with this and it would divide our country on this topic again. Ultimately, that sets us back in the war on racism which I don't want.

This is a really tough situation to take care of. I'm certainly now envious of the spot Silver is in.
This is not about the first amendment. The league has a moral and ethical code written into the league rules. This is what allows them to fine JR Smith for a tweet with a woman in her underwear.

So as long as Sterling is violating one of those codes the league can impose any fine that also follows those same codes. If there is an agreement that says they can fine him $1 billion, then so be it. If there is conversely a code that says the maximum they can fine an owner or suspend them is "x" amount of dollars or days, then they also have to follow that agreement.

The main reason I felt this specific issue of this story was thread worthy was because this is Silver's first test as commissioner and to make his authority felt.

ThunderousDemon
04-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Will the clippers fans still support the team if Sterling is still the owner?

If not he'll eventually be forced to sell if the players protest along with the fans.

goingfor28
04-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Any fine won't do anything to him. The guys net worth is just shy of $2B

hugepatsfan
04-27-2014, 08:25 PM
This is not about the first amendment. The league has a moral and ethical code written into the league rules. This is what allows them to fine JR Smith for a tweet with a woman in her underwear.

So as long as Sterling is violating one of those codes the league can impose any fine that also follows those same codes. If there is an agreement that says they can fine him $1 billion, then so be it. If there is conversely a code that says the maximum they can fine an owner or suspend them is "x" amount of dollars or days, then they also have to follow that agreement.

The main reason I felt this specific issue of this story was thread worthy was because this is Silver's first test as commissioner and to make his authority felt.

I'm not talking about fining him. I'm talking about kicking him out of ownership. If they did so and cite their moral code as the reason I think Sterling would be able to take them to court and win. Telling someone they can't be racist is unconstitutional. The NBA and any business may have a code of ethics but if it's decided by the supreme court that they are unconstitutional then they are not enforceable. If the NBA wants to kick him out proving that he is racist isn't enough. They have to prove that he denied opportunity to someone on the basis of race. While people have the right to be racist, however backwards that line of thinking may be, they have no right to deny others their rights or opportunity on the basis of race. Unfortunately, it's a lot harder to prove this than it is to just show that someone is racist. We know that Sterling is a racist but to find solid proof that he has denied others opportunity based on race is hard. Does he even have a say in who gets hired for the more trivial positions in the organization where his racism could have been a factor? Even if you do find a minority who was denied employment or promotion how do you prove that race was the reason? It's tough.

I'm not a legal expert so I don't pretend to be preaching the gospel. I'm just trying to point out that forcing him out is a lot more complicated in a real court room than in the court of public opinion.

John Walls Era
04-27-2014, 08:29 PM
This guy is wealthy... if he paid every member on PSD a million dollars, it still won't mean anything to him. The NBA won't just fine him, if they do there will be an outrage.

*Superman*
04-27-2014, 08:39 PM
If the guy had half a brain he would realize it's time to step down. His reputation is shot, no player is going to want to play for that team and his current players aren't going to stand for it either. It really is unfortunate this came out for the players and staff right during the playoffs. They even asked Doc what he was going to do about coaching next year and he said he doesn't know yet.

*Superman*
04-27-2014, 08:42 PM

I don't care what your stance on the issue is... but he clearly did something wrong or the commissioner wouldn't hold an immediate press conference in the middle of the playoffs.

Its perfectly okay for you to think what he said isn't fine worthy. We all are free to post our opinion elsewhere, but this thread is about what you think the NBA will fine him assuming they find him accountable for these allegations.

Forgot the commissioner, the president even discussed it.

HansumJay
04-27-2014, 08:48 PM

Not like he said something bad about dogs...

benzni
04-27-2014, 08:52 PM
ownership of the Knicks

Enzo
04-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Give him a choice to either give up ownership or attend every hip hop concert for the next 5 years with a white hood on.

:around-the-world:

Trueblue2
04-27-2014, 08:55 PM
So basically all potential profits from the next full season? But at the same time hold Sterling accountable to pay their salaries? NBA would have to take control just like they did for New Orleans then. Also how do you keep the GM from running up the salary cap if nobody is there to say "this isn't a good financial decision"? Minority owners take over decision making (if there are any)?

I think it would be pretty ironic if his punishment was to have minority owners run his team....

*Superman*
04-27-2014, 08:58 PM

Except his mindset for employment isn't, these are my regular day employees, if you listen to the longer verison that was released, he actually sounds like a slave owner by saying "I give them food, clothes, houses and cars". He's not "giving" them anything, they earn it with their salary.

It probably isn't just punishment to kick him out, but frankly just about everyone is not okay with his thinking, unless you're a racist. The NBA and the Clippers team will probably be affected greatly if all Silver does is give him a slap on the wrist, which I highly doubt, he knows this is more severe than that.

Tony_Starks
04-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Two words: moral turpitude

freejimmer
04-27-2014, 09:53 PM
1 penny.

Grow some balls.

xnick5757
04-27-2014, 10:14 PM

that's not really what the 1st amendment is about...

mdm692
04-27-2014, 10:40 PM
that's not really what the 1st amendment is about...

It actually is. Freedom of speech.

xnick5757
04-27-2014, 10:50 PM
It actually is. Freedom of speech.

1st amendment protects against the government regulating speech, not a private institution like the NBA.

there are other legal issues surrounding it, like that fact that california is a two party consent state (which means that this recording is an illegal wiretap), but the 1st amendment doesn't come into it.

Jeffy25
04-27-2014, 11:04 PM
force him to live in one of his section 8 apartments...

haha, yes