PDA

View Full Version : Should the Clippers boycott Donald Sterling?

mrblisterdundee
04-26-2014, 05:50 PM
To make the clearest statement against a proven racist who doesn't think of most of his own players as equal human beings, should the Clippers boycott their owner until he's forced out?
Basketball players have a short career span. It could mean wasting a trip to the playoffs of giving up part of next season.
But it seems the players refusing to play would be the must effective means to make Sterling go away. I'm sure there are plenty of non-racist rich people who'd be interested in owning a talented team in Los Angeles.

goingfor28
04-26-2014, 05:56 PM
And just quit on the team, players, coaches, fans, their families and everyone who has positively supported them? Just bc of one ignorant *** hole?

No. What a stupid question.

Vinny642
04-26-2014, 05:58 PM
And just quit on the team, players, coaches, fans, their families and everyone who has positively supported them? Just bc of one ignorant *** hole?

this basically, why ruin the teams playoff chances now?

Leftcoast_yg
04-26-2014, 06:34 PM

Because it benefits the racist bastard. They would be standing up for something more important than some playoffs. It would be a humble act as it would hurt them as a player but would bring joy to those who had to put up with racism for years.

Leftcoast_yg
04-26-2014, 06:38 PM
I swear people are so full of themselves

Method28
04-26-2014, 06:40 PM

Because it benefits the racist bastard. They would be standing up for something more important than some playoffs. It would be a humble act as it would hurt them as a player but would bring joy to those who had to put up with racism for years.

Warriors fan? Lol

Vinny642
04-26-2014, 06:42 PM

Omg please..... How much does CP make??? More than someone should, who only plays basketball. CP wants to win, not become MLK.... boycotting wouldn't do anything except let the Warriors advance(which I think they will)

Touchdownboy
04-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Some people don't understand how a contract works.

Tony_Starks
04-26-2014, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't quit in the playoffs because it would be a shame to waste all that hard work over a racist jerk.

I would however let it be known that when the playoffs are over I have no intention of playing as long as he is the owner to put the pressure on him....

BoSox47
04-26-2014, 07:00 PM
I hope the stars force their way out so that the celtics can take advantage of that 2015 unprotected first round draft pick.

ghettosean
04-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Posted this in the other thread...

This is some f***ed up sh**... I would find it hard to suit up if I'm the clips... I'm not saying i wouldn't but it would be damn hard. I'd be completely conflicted but if I'm exceedingly wealthy like CP3 and Blake even moderately wealthy i wouldn't suit up as taking a stand against that sh** until he steps down. I couldn't take money from someone with that mentality... i just couldn't do it. I'd violate the contract and tell him to go **** himself.

I respect the clips decision either way they have fans and all but i just couldn't do it. If i had to protect my family in someway yes but otherwise I'm telling him to go **** himself

Teeboy1487
04-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Finish the playoffs, but demand trades if Sterling remains in ownership.

JordansBulls
04-26-2014, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't quit in the playoffs because it would be a shame to waste all that hard work over a racist jerk.

I would however let it be known that when the playoffs are over I have no intention of playing as long as he is the owner to put the pressure on him....

This.

Vinny642
04-26-2014, 07:06 PM
Posted this in the other thread...

This is some f***ed up sh**... I would find it hard to suit up if I'm the clips... I'm not saying i wouldn't but it would be damn hard. I'd be completely conflicted but if I'm exceedingly wealthy like CP3 and Blake even moderately wealthy i wouldn't suit up as taking a stand against that sh** until he steps down. I couldn't take money from someone with that mentality... i just couldn't do it. I'd violate the contract and tell him to go **** himself.

I respect the clips decision either way they have fans and all but i just couldn't do it. If i had to protect my family in someway yes but otherwise I'm telling him to go **** himself

Smh, I would love taking his money

AIverson
04-26-2014, 07:07 PM
I would just make my millions and call it a day. If I'm cp3 and I got a 100mil wtf I care about what he say for?

Vinny642
04-26-2014, 07:08 PM

Really is that simple

ghettosean
04-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Some people don't understand how a contract works.

You don't even fully have to be in violation everyone can claim injury if they want but they don't have to play if they don't want to.

ghettosean
04-26-2014, 07:09 PM

I like this idea also

Bigbadmoffo
04-26-2014, 07:19 PM
As long as they boycott Kanye West as well I'm cool.

Hawkeye15
04-26-2014, 07:19 PM
They are professionals, and need to act like it. Let the NBA handle its due process regarding Sterling.

mrblisterdundee
04-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Here's a true sports fan, elevating something as trivial as a game above social equality. The Clippers would be way more impressive forcing out a racist owner than winning an NBA championship under one.
And I gave multiple options, in case they want to finish business this postseason and announce the intent to strike the start of next season unless Sterling sells.

mrblisterdundee
04-26-2014, 07:28 PM

Here's a true sports fan, elevating something as trivial as a game above social equality. The Clippers would be way more impressive forcing out a racist owner than winning an NBA championship under one.
And I gave multiple options, in case they want to finish business this postseason and announce the intent to strike the start of next season unless Sterling sells.

They are professionals, and need to act like it. Let the NBA handle its due process regarding Sterling.

This seems reasonable, as long as due process runs its course by the start of next season. If not, maybe they need to strike or demand trades.

Clippersfan86
04-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Stupid thread. The players and coaches need to focus on winning and worry about this once they are out of the playoffs. As already said... Let the NBA handle it. Hopefully Silver forces Sterling out of the league, but doubtful.

Hawkeye15
04-26-2014, 07:30 PM

This seems reasonable, as long as due process runs its course by the start of next season. If not, maybe they need to strike or demand trades.

yeah sure, a bunch of guys who have until the age of 35 to make MILLIONS of dollars to play a kids game are going to go on strike......

mrblisterdundee
04-26-2014, 07:34 PM
yeah sure, a bunch of guys who have until the age of 35 to make MILLIONS of dollars to play a kids game are going to go on strike......

True, they might be too shallow to do something as extreme as strike. Maybe it would have to include players from other teams, to put even more pressure on the league to remove Sterling. That's why I mentioned demanding trades too. Plenty of players have already done it.

Hawkeye15
04-26-2014, 07:37 PM
True, they might be too shallow to do something as extreme as strike. Maybe it would have to include players from other teams, to put even more pressure on the league to remove Sterling. That's why I mentioned demanding trades too. Plenty of players have already done it.

I just don't see it honestly. Paul makes 220k a game. Do you really think he will want to go on strike?

They are professional athletes. It's not like Sterling wasn't a known issue on the race front. They should continue to be professionals, and let the NBA sort this out. You know what, if Sterling is still the owner of the team next year, I don't really think it will be a big deal, he will have done what he needs to in order to remain the owner, and money always talks over anything else.

Sticky situation, but being so overblown right now.

goingfor28
04-26-2014, 07:40 PM
I just don't see it honestly. Paul makes 220k a game. Do you really think he will want to go on strike?

They are professional athletes. It's not like Sterling wasn't a known issue on the race front. They should continue to be professionals, and let the NBA sort this out. You know what, if Sterling is still the owner of the team next year, I don't really think it will be a big deal, he will have done what he needs to in order to remain the owner, and money always talks over anything else.

Well put Hawk

JWO35
04-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Finish the season out and go from there...If you don't want to play for him request a trade or whatever. The funny thing is, that this isn't the first time this guy made comments like this so if it didn't bother CP3(and others) before why should it now?

DallasTrilla23
04-26-2014, 07:51 PM
I think they should wait till after the playoffs before they do anything. By that time the NBA will probably have done something and If they don't like the outcome then they can boycott or whatever they want to do.

Tony_Starks
04-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Stupid thread. The players and coaches need to focus on winning and worry about this once they are out of the playoffs. As already said... Let the NBA handle it. Hopefully Silver forces Sterling out of the league, but doubtful.

Not gonna happen. They've been trying to force him out for a decade but being a incompetent racist isn't enough to force him out. All they can do is fine him and/or give him some sort of suspension, of maybe some "sensitivity training." Basically slap him on the wrist.

The only way Sterling sells that team is if his bottom line is effected and that happens by players not playing and fans not supporting his product.

Tony_Starks
04-26-2014, 08:39 PM

You can be a professional but still put your principles first i.e. Bill Russell. Some athletes put principles over a paycheck and would rather send a message then just get paid.

I don't think you give these guys enough credit especially when you're dealing with blatant racism with this countries history....

JdKing7
04-26-2014, 08:42 PM
I get both point of views, but I wouldn't let one individual ******** take away what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. With all the hardwork, blood, sweat, tears or whatever players put in throughout the season, it would be a shame for one individual's views to ruin the entire season. Anything could happen in professional sports. You could blow out your knee the next season and never be the same. The Clippers are a good team, but no team is guranteed to reach the finals again. An NBA championship is the players ultimate goal. If I have goals insight, I am not letting any individual try to take it away or ruin the opportunity of me reaching my goal. This is not as drastic as the racism he expressed, but if my goal is to graduate college and get my degree to better my future and my teacher hates me and treats me unfairly, I will not let that teacher let me lose sight of my goal and take that away from me. However, I would make it a point to do whatever is necessary when the season is over.

Leftcoast_yg
04-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Not gonna happen. They've been trying to force him out for a decade but being a incompetent racist isn't enough to force him out. All they can do is fine him and/or give him some sort of suspension, of maybe some "sensitivity training." Basically slap him on the wrist.

The only way Sterling sells that team is if his bottom line is effected and that happens by players not playing and fans not supporting his product.

Exactly, well put Tony.

JEDean89
04-26-2014, 08:53 PM
despite the fact that this guy is a world class dumb**** racist *******, the players are still employees and they represent the city of Los Angeles. Not one of these guys are playing for Donald Sterling, my guess is they probably didn't like Sterling much before these comments came out. They are playing for the fans, the city, the coaches and everyone else that is involved in making that team what it is today. That is way bigger than anything Donald Sterling could ever possibly say and it is important that people remember that. A boycott affects peoples jobs, their livelyhood, and everyone who depends on them for financial support. It would be extremely unfair to fans, especially real long term Clippers fans (not the blake griffin fanboys). It is extremely selfish to ask these players to boycott for politically correct reasons. Sterling must be taken care of and punished so that the only person on the planet who is negatively affected is him. We live in the 21st century, we have a black president and are probably gonna have a woman next. There is no place for this when people look up to you and when you have so much power and influence. god only knows what hasn't been recorded.

PhillyFaninLA
04-26-2014, 09:01 PM
A better statement would be zero fans showing up for a playoff home game....imagine 15,000 empty seats on a televised play off game....thought would make a much better statement than guys quitting.

In the offseason publically state you want to be traded or cut, try and get the league to void your contract so you can sign with another team, but you quit in the playoffs.

Riodagoat
04-26-2014, 10:34 PM
You're a moron. And everybody else who is making such a big deal out of this.

Truth of the matter is, racism will always be there. It has and never will go away in my opinion. It's completely disgusting, I agree. However, these players are being paid MILLIONS. These athletes --not doctors, not soldiers, ATHLETES-- are being paid MILLIONS to play a GAME and you are suggesting that they boycott for something that one person said?

Those are guys are professionals. To me it doesn't matter if those comments came from the janitor or the guy who signs their checks. They are being paid to play and that's what they should do. Did I also mention that this team has a chance of making it to the Finals?

This thread was also as dumb as Sterling's racist comments.

JdKing7
04-26-2014, 10:53 PM
You're a moron. And everybody else who is making such a big deal out of this.

Truth of the matter is, racism will always be there. It has and never will go away in my opinion. It's completely disgusting, I agree. However, these players are being paid MILLIONS. These athletes --not doctors, not soldiers, ATHLETES-- are being paid MILLIONS to play a GAME and you are suggesting that they boycott for something that one person said?

Those are guys are professionals. To me it doesn't matter if those comments came from the janitor or the guy who signs their checks. They are being paid to play and that's what they should do. Did I also mention that this team has a chance of making it to the Finals?

This thread was also as dumb as Sterling's racist comments.

As was your post. Athletes, doctors, whatever the hell your job is doesn't mean you have to put up with the racism. Look I agree they shouldn't boycott the playoffs and that racism will always be around. Just because there still is racism in the world doesn't mean people have to put up with it and that there should be no repercussions. This one individual who expressed the racism just so happens to be the owner of the team. Yes they make millions, but that doesn't mean they have to put up with this douchebags ****. There are many other owners who would gladly pay some of these black athletes millions of dollars to play for their team and believe in equality. If my boss was degrading me and I could find another job that pays me a similar salary I would either smack the **** out of him or find somewhere else to work.

John Walls Era
04-26-2014, 10:54 PM
They don't have the leverage. They have too much to lose by boycotting Sterling.

JdKing7
04-26-2014, 11:02 PM
The players shouldn't have to do anything and they shouldn't. This is an issue that the league has to do something about. It doesn't look good for the league especially considering the diversity of basketball fans not only in the US but the world.

mrblisterdundee
04-26-2014, 11:41 PM

It's up to the players whether they want to be remembered as highly paid, cowardly floor mats or as having any sort of dignity for themselves.
And just to be sure: I think they should finish the playoffs. They're the culmination of a lot of hard work by the Clippers players.

More-Than-Most
04-26-2014, 11:41 PM
why do people care about people and their beliefs? This guy can have an opinion and hate whichever race he wants.... Is he mistreating cp3? Is he forcing him to play there? Its a mutual beneficial contract and a business.... I wouldnt give a monkeys nuts if my boss hated me because of my race as long as he treated me with respect at my work enviroment

I have been called a white devil and or cracker by several old black people... Your not going to change the way someone was raised or how they think because of the time line they grew up in. As long as they are respectful who gives a ****

More-Than-Most
04-26-2014, 11:44 PM
The players shouldn't have to do anything and they shouldn't. This is an issue that the league has to do something about. It doesn't look good for the league especially considering the diversity of basketball fans not only in the US but the world.

what rule has be broken? Why should the league do anything? Has he paid his black players less because of their skin color? Does he treat them differently?

FlashBolt
04-26-2014, 11:45 PM
This all depends on whether or not the team values their pride over a champion. Obviously, I don't think they'll boycott. They'll let the fans down, they'll also prove a bad representation of NBA players. Yes, what he did was wrong. However, it's not a criminal act. Clippers should focus on basketball and let the seniors handle him. He's definitely getting some kind of consequence.

IndyRealist
04-26-2014, 11:58 PM
When you're in the same position as them, you can tell me that you are willing to losing your home, your career, and your shot at history over principle.

I do not fault a single one of the players or coaches for not boycotting. None of them asked to be Rosa Parks.

More-Than-Most
04-27-2014, 12:02 AM
When you're in the same position as them, you can tell me that you are willing to losing your home, your career, and your shot at history over principle.

I do not fault a single one of the players or coaches for not boycotting. None of them asked to be Rosa Parks.

This is my point... Lets use Rosa Parks..... She had a right to boycott... Wtf has sterling done for people to boycott? That is his private thoughts... Until he openly degrades people because of said race he has done nothing wrong. His beliefs nomatter how sad are his own.

JdKing7
04-27-2014, 12:02 AM
what rule has be broken? Why should the league do anything? Has he paid his black players less because of their skin color? Does he treat them differently?

Admittedly you would probably know better than I, but I'm fairly certain that racism isn't allowed in the work place. Then again, this was a private conversation that was recorded, so essentially it really has nothing to do with the work place. So, I'm not really sure what could be done if anything. I just know that it doesn't look good for this individual to be an owner of a team and represent the NBA in that aspect. In reality, I could careless what people call me. But while listening to the recording, I kept thinking to myself what the **** is wrong with this guy. I just find it hard to believe that this does not break any rule.

Touchdownboy
04-27-2014, 12:03 AM
why do people care about people and their beliefs? This guy can have an opinion and hate whichever race he wants.... Is he mistreating cp3? Is he forcing him to play there? Its a mutual beneficial contract and a business.... I wouldnt give a monkeys nuts if my boss hated me because of my race as long as he treated me with respect at my work enviroment

I have been called a white devil and or cracker by several old black people... Your not going to change the way someone was raised or how they think because of the time line they grew up in. As long as they are respectful who gives a ****
I've always believed this. A racist wouldn't be able to work or even share the same room as another. Unless someone is verbally or physically mistreating you, or keeping you from moving up in a company.....they are justified to believe whatever they want.

Trwood12
04-27-2014, 12:03 AM
It makes me wonder why he became the owner of a basketball team in the first place. He must know that the majority of the players are black...

Tony_Starks
04-27-2014, 12:05 AM
It's up to the players whether they want to be remembered as highly paid, cowardly floor mats or as having any sort of dignity for themselves.
And just to be sure: I think they should finish the playoffs. They're the culmination of a lot of hard work by the Clippers players.

I agree. I definitely wouldn't let this derail the best playoff chances they've ever had, but after that I'd never suit up for him again.

I think one way or another he's gone regardless. He's definitely going to take a hit in season ticket sales and merchandise. Then when you factor in sponsorship losses? One thing about corporate: they may not have a problem with what he said, some may even agree with it. But they are smart enough to know that it's bad business to be associated with a outed racist.

Not to mention he'll be a piriah in his own city. At the end of the day it's not worth it.

IndyRealist
04-27-2014, 12:07 AM

I'm pretty sure it's in violation of a code of conduct binding owners and ownership groups in the NBA bylaws. If there wasn't one then the league couldn't fine owners for calling out bad officiating, or free agent tampering. The fact is when you buy an NBA team you agree to be subject to discipline by the NBA for anything they deem out of line.

And I believe the owners can vote to force an owner to sell his team, though I suspect it has to be a unanimous vote.

Tony_Starks
04-27-2014, 12:08 AM
It makes me wonder why he became the owner of a basketball team in the first place. He must know that the majority of the players are black...

Because he's smart and knew it would make him wealthier. You don't have to like your product to make money off it.....

Trwood12
04-27-2014, 12:12 AM
Because he's smart and knew it would make him wealthier. You don't have to like your product to make money off it.....

I know but there are plenty of other business endeavors to make tons of money that would appeal more to someone of his calibre. Even if he wanted it to be sports for some reason, baseball seems like more of a rich white guy sport.

More-Than-Most
04-27-2014, 12:18 AM
I'm pretty sure it's in violation of a code of conduct binding owners and ownership groups in the NBA bylaws. If there wasn't one then the league couldn't fine owners for calling out bad officiating, or free agent tampering. The fact is when you buy an NBA team you agree to be subject to discipline by the NBA for anything they deem out of line.

And I believe the owners can vote to force an owner to sell his team, though I suspect it has to be a unanimous vote.

You are missing the part where he said all of this in the privacy of his own home and was recorded and so on. This is not similar to someone calling out someone. He said this in the privacy of him and his gf and was the victim to be brutally honest. Code of contact has no bearings here.

sep11ie
04-27-2014, 12:25 AM
C'mon, for millions of dollars I'd let the ignorant prick hand me my check while wearing a KKK hood and a "Free Zimmerman" T-shirt.

king4day
04-27-2014, 12:29 AM

I think this would be the best course to follow.

For anyone to think it'd be best for them to boycott, that's extremely selfish to the fans and players. Yes some players make a ton of money, but others don't.
Let the league do its justice. By the start of next season, the Clippers will have new ownership.

king4day
04-27-2014, 12:31 AM
It would be funny if the Clips won the title. He would have to sit home while they celebrated.

bluefire7002
04-27-2014, 12:53 AM
It would be funny if the Clips won the title. He would have to sit home while they celebrated.

Hahah that would be the most awkward moment for everyone, him being there holding the trophy.

FlashBolt
04-27-2014, 12:58 AM
This guy is only going to lose money. He should sell his stake of the team and begone. No one is going to support that team as long as he's their captain. However, I must say he's the victim here. That GF is the culprit. Nothing wrong with being racist.

DillyDill
04-27-2014, 01:03 AM
Just googled it and forbes has the Clipps net worth presently at 575 Mill. No way in hell will he listen to the lg and forcefully sell his team it's impossible. Their value will only skyrocket, especially with a finals trip.

IndyRealist
04-27-2014, 01:05 AM
You are missing the part where he said all of this in the privacy of his own home and was recorded and so on. This is not similar to someone calling out someone. He said this in the privacy of him and his gf and was the victim to be brutally honest. Code of contact has no bearings here.

That's your opinion, but that's not how the NBA sees it or they wouldn't be looking into the veracity of the recording. The fact that it has been made public and reinforces a consistent pattern of racism, makes it very likely punishable by the League under the bylaws.

He isn't the victim of anything except possibly the embezzlement. Seriously, how could anyone make such an inane statement? Because his GF recorded a phone call? I record all of my phone calls, you have no idea how useful it's been with customer service. Yes he has a right to be ignorant and stuck in the '50s. But SHE WAS IN THAT CONVERSATION too and has a right to disclose the racist prick for what he is if she chooses to.

And more to the point the NBA, as a business, has the right to say that he does not represent the image and values that they want to be associated with. Like any franchise, the Clippers can be taken away from him if the main office feels it necessary.

jimm120
04-27-2014, 01:15 AM
I understand the viewpoint of the people that seem to be defending this guy...but its still extremely wrong.

This isn't a stereotyping kind of thing. This is just pure blind dislike/hate on people/groups for the color of their skin. That just can't be tolerated...and it especially can't be tolerated when he's in the business in which 80% of his players are black.

The bigger thing is the FANS boycotting. Fans, along with some players, would be great.

FlashBolt
04-27-2014, 01:16 AM
Just googled it and forbes has the Clipps net worth presently at 575 Mill. No way in hell will he listen to the lg and forcefully sell his team it's impossible. Their value will only skyrocket, especially with a finals trip.

How is their value going to skyrocket? Expect horrific sales by fans boycotting. Expect players not willing to play for that team and thus no wow factor. Expect bad publicity as long as he's there. He's going to lose money.

sunsfan88
04-27-2014, 01:23 AM
Who are the people that called Sterling and told him that it's embarrassing for his gf to take pics with blacks?

Touchdownboy
04-27-2014, 01:26 AM
Who are the people that called Sterling and told him that it's embarrassing for his gf to take pics with blacks?
For all we know, it could have been fellow Owners.

DillyDill
04-27-2014, 01:27 AM
How is their value going to skyrocket? Expect horrific sales by fans boycotting. Expect players not willing to play for that team and thus no wow factor. Expect bad publicity as long as he's there. He's going to lose money.

That's just a bunch of BS the media wants to happen. Even the players will be focusing on the playoffs Doc said it. Their will be no boycotting watch fans still show up tomorr and Tuesday to support their team not Sterling.

sep11ie
04-27-2014, 01:29 AM
I thought you had to be aware that you were being recorded on a phone call in order for it to be used as any kind of evidence?

Method28

In my opinion, you're severely overestimating the "movement" that will likely occur because of this. People will still show up and the players will still probably play.

They just need him out before next season.

DillyDill

And their not going to just trade CP and Blake, they won't get fair value back plus their both locked up long term.

Touchdownboy
04-27-2014, 01:33 AM
That's your opinion, but that's not how the NBA sees it or they wouldn't be looking into the veracity of the recording. The fact that it has been made public and reinforces a consistent pattern of racism, makes it very likely punishable by the League under the bylaws.

He isn't the victim of anything except possibly the embezzlement. Seriously, how could anyone make such an inane statement? Because his GF recorded a phone call? I record all of my phone calls, you have no idea how useful it's been with customer service. Yes he has a right to be ignorant and stuck in the '50s. But SHE WAS IN THAT CONVERSATION too and has a right to disclose the racist prick for what he is if she chooses to.

And more to the point the NBA, as a business, has the right to say that he does not represent the image and values that they want to be associated with. Like any franchise, the Clippers can be taken away from him if the main office feels it necessary.
- This so called investigation is to keep the witch hunters off their backs. Silver spoke about 2 other issues before he even mentioned Sterling. That should be quite telling

- Actually he has the "right to be ignorant" in 2014, as long as it's in private

- Of course they can and then they would face a very lengthy and expensive lawsuit that might work.

The next home game will dictate where this goes. If the stadium is noticeably empty, then changes might occur. If it's still full then nothing will occur.

freejimmer
04-27-2014, 01:34 AM
Lol...this is beyond pathetic. Who cares what this old man says or thinks? Get the heck over it. Move on. Non-story. I'm sick of it already. Boycott? LMAO! Paula Dean was railroaded and now this. People should be able to say whatever they want to say during PRIVATE conversations and the woman that leaked this PRIVATE conversation should be CHARGED with a CRIME.

GET OVER IT!

Touchdownboy
04-27-2014, 01:44 AM
Lol...this is beyond pathetic. Who cares what this old man says or thinks? Get the heck over it. Move on. Non-story. I'm sick of it already. Boycott? LMAO! Paula Dean was railroaded and now this. People should be able to say whatever they want to say during PRIVATE conversations and the woman that leaked this PRIVATE conversation should be CHARGED with a CRIME.

GET OVER IT!
"In California, to intentionally record someone else's private conversation without their consent is a crime & civilly wrong."

:clap:

freejimmer
04-27-2014, 01:47 AM
"In California, to intentionally record someone else's private conversation without their consent is a crime & civilly wrong."

:clap:

Charge the money grubbing extortionist!

What's the hold up?!

BRICKCITYPIMP12
04-27-2014, 06:45 AM
ok..so i think they should..BUT after the playoffs...why....bcuz this way they wont give up a chance at the tittle this year. and bcuz if they give up now then they are giving up something they worked hard for just for that racist prick. granted the more they play the more money they make for him.

most of you think its stupid if the boycott..but if they do nothing then its as if they dont care. think bout it if sterling stays then the players will wanna go.they wont resign and will want a trade. im not black and i would b plotting my ecit already..**** him..there are 29 other teams that will want me.

PhillyFaninLA
04-27-2014, 07:32 AM

Most beliefs aren't responsible for lesser wages, lynchings, segregation, and fear based judgement not proper decision making.

Bigotry isn't cool. He does have the right to think and believe what he wants but that doesn't mean its not a big thing.

ldawg
04-27-2014, 08:49 AM
I would just make my millions and call it a day. If I'm cp3 and I got a 100mil wtf I care about what he say for?

Because with a new owner still get the same. He is a racist fool. Dude has zero class but think he has it. Just an rich old wrinkle dick insecure fake hair weirdo who seam afraid of black men. No you don't sweep it under the rug. This is what is wrong with America. Stupid dick like him pass on ignorance, Its the same problem schools are having with bullying. Its just the ignorance of hating because you are not like me. Like I point out this dumb ***** only hate Obama because he is black. What has he done not to like him? It just shows ignorance. This is a pass grown *** prick. Now having said that Black people as a group do need to get their **** together. All those tats, not knowing how to wear pants for 10 years and still cant get it right, old fashion bush man rag hair stiles, thuggish swag of a stone killer and killing each other. Maybe the government need to put a halt to marketing stupidity that ghetto BS for music. Its like you take the dumbest kid from the race with no morals, sense or anything and you listen to his way of life 24/7. What do you think is going to Happen? His mentality come from the Aftermath of racism so being racist do not help. So don't think it only affects Blacks now because that ish goes main stream so its affecting all Americans.

torocan
04-27-2014, 09:29 AM
C'mon, for millions of dollars I'd let the ignorant prick hand me my check while wearing a KKK hood and a "Free Zimmerman" T-shirt.

You only say that because you don't currently have millions of dollars or another option to make millions. When you have little, you'll do a lot of things to improve the financial situation of you and your family.

However, the Star players on the Clippers are NOT in that position. They have their millions. They are in high demand on other teams and could make similar money somewhere else. They can join other teams that have a similarly good chance to win a championship.

One of the many reasons that some people pursue wealth is so that they do NOT have to degrade themselves for money, so that they do NOT have to put a price on their dignity and integrity. Do we really think his GF would have gone with him if she was independently wealthy? Yes, she has a price on her dignity and integrity, but most of us do if the pay is high enough.

We take crap from our bosses, let clients berate us, we let others dictate how we spend our hours of the day, and yes, sometimes we let words slide because we can not afford to stand on principle.

However, when you have enough money you don't have to do that. You can quit your job and tell your boss to F. off and die. You can tell that client that you don't need their stinking money and to get the hell out of your sight. And you can tell that prejudiced SOB that they're scum and prehistoric ignorant ***** and that you don't need to put up with their crap.

Yes, people sell pieces of their soul for the almighty dollar and fame. However, the more you have, the more your price goes up until you reach the point that you have enough and no amount of money on Earth is enough to make you compromise your dignity and integrity.

I understand if the Clippers players want to finish the play offs. Not sure what I would do in their individual positions. I might play, I might walk. However, I know for certain that when the season is done the first thing I would be looking for is a way to play somewhere else.

You don't want blacks and hispanics at your games? No problem. We'll see what kind of basketball team you can field without the NBA stars that don't view the world the same way you do.

FYL_McVeezy
04-27-2014, 09:33 AM
I don't think the players should boycott because they are under contract. I think it's the job of the fans to hurt this POS in his pockets. If you're an African-American fan of the Clippers you should not go to Clippers home games.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Sterlings comments that have been reported are beyond disgusting but the Clippers players deserve to play hard for themselves not for Sterling. They have worked hard all season. They should not be the ones that are punished because of these comments. The thing people need to remember is this is only 1 single man. He is not all white men. He is not all people affiliated with the Clippers. He is not all Clipper fans. If the disgusting comments are accurate the commissioner should do his best to have Sterling sell the team but other people should not be punished for Sterlings comments.

goingfor28
04-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Sterlings comments that have been reported are beyond disgusting but the Clippers players deserve to play hard for themselves not for Sterling. They have worked hard all season. They should not be the ones that are punished because of these comments. The thing people need to remember is this is only 1 single man. He is not all white men. He is not all people affiliated with the Clippers. He is not all Clipper fans. If the disgusting comments are accurate the commissioner should do his best to have Sterling sell the team but other people should not be punished for Sterlings comments.

Perfectly said sly

waveycrockett
04-27-2014, 10:07 AM
The NBA needs to step up and handle this not Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. If the NBA gives Sterling a slap on the wrist then the players should take a stand.

Wade n Fade
04-27-2014, 10:47 AM
I would hope there's a way to force Sterling into selling his team. This isn't the first time this crappy guy involved himself with discriminatory remarks or actions. Elgin Baylor sued him over discrimination. Why the heck is the NAACP giving him an award anyways? Sterling is also a terrible owner and lucked into Blake Griffin and having young people to trade away for CP3. Before the turn of the century, the Clippers were as relevant as Montana's Barber Shops.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Perfectly said sly

Thank you. :)

ldawg
04-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Sterlings comments that have been reported are beyond disgusting but the Clippers players deserve to play hard for themselves not for Sterling. They have worked hard all season. They should not be the ones that are punished because of these comments. The thing people need to remember is this is only 1 single man. He is not all white men. He is not all people affiliated with the Clippers. He is not all Clipper fans. If the disgusting comments are accurate the commissioner should do his best to have Sterling sell the team but other people should not be punished for Sterlings comments.looking at it that way you got a valid point. It should be handled higher up. However if they fail to address the issue players should take matters in their own hands. Racism should not be tolerated on any level. Its a classless shameful coward act.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-27-2014, 11:39 AM
Sterling will still be a rich billionaire.

Does he really care if he doesn't get to be Clippers owner or if his team boycotts him?

torocan
04-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Sterling will still be a rich billionaire.

Does he really care if he doesn't get to be Clippers owner or if his team boycotts him?

Yes, he does. When you're as rich as he is, it's more about status and power than dollars. Being stripped of the team and being outed a racist for the rest of his life would destroy his social standing and negatively impact his influence in business circles.

Being outed as a racist would make him a pariah in most parts of the US, but doing it in LA is a social death knell. Celebrities, politicians, high profile businesses... nobody will want to be associated with him. He will essentially go from being a local celebrity to a social pariah. It's also going to hit him away from business, whether it's on the golf course, the best restaurants, or being invited to social events.

If this recording is verified, Sterling becomes persona non grata in LA.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-27-2014, 11:51 AM
looking at it that way you got a valid point. It should be handled higher up. However if they fail to address the issue players should take matters in their own hands. Racism should not be tolerated on any level. Its a classless shameful coward act.

You are right that racism should not be tolerated BUT the players should not be asked to figuratively cut off their nose to spite their face. Why punish innocent people for the actions of Sterling?

Vinylman
04-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Yes, he does. When you're as rich as he is, it's more about status and power than dollars. Being stripped of the team and being outed a racist for the rest of his life would destroy his social standing and negatively impact his influence in business circles.

Being outed as a racist would make him a pariah in most parts of the US, but doing it in LA is a social death knell. Celebrities, politicians, high profile businesses... nobody will want to be associated with him. He will essentially go from being a local celebrity to a social pariah. It's also going to hit him away from business, whether it's on the golf course, the best restaurants, or being invited to social events.

Really? People in LA have known he is a hateful racist for decades... your a little late to the game my friend...

it hasn't impacted him to this point and short of the league making him sell the team it won't again.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-27-2014, 12:08 PM

You think he'll get outcasted because he said something racist? He's not the first and he won't be the last.

The players will suffer a lot more than Sterling will if they boycott this playoffs.

torocan
04-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Really? People in LA have known he is a hateful racist for decades... your a little late to the game my friend...

it hasn't impacted him to this point and short of the league making him sell the team it won't again.

You're kidding right? In a country where 41% of people don't even know the name of the Vice President, you think that everyone knew who Donald Sterling was? Let alone his history?

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Bidenvice-presidentPewsurvey/2010/09/29/id/371976/

I think you overestimate "general" awareness of Donald Sterling, even among the Clipper fan base. Sure, they might know the name but how many actually look him up? Don't confuse the hardcore team fans with the average fan, or the fans of the rest of the NBA.

And it's not like the Clipper fan base was large until recent years. The Lakers dominated the headlines for decades. And how many families started taking their kids to the game without checking out the Owner? And why would you have paid any attention to Sterling prior to becoming a Clippers fan?

And that's assuming you thought the lawsuits were legit vs being bogus legal cases to squeeze money out of him. They were all settled out of court so it wasn't like Sterling was admitting guilt. After all, isn't it easier to assume that he's being sued by greedy people than to believe the guy who employs a ton of minorities and has hundreds of photo's of him with minorities is NOT a racist versus being a person who views them as inferior and simply assets to make him more money and gain social status?

Keep up with the "You should already know this" stuff.

Vinylman
04-27-2014, 01:20 PM
You're kidding right? In a country where 41% of people don't even know the name of the Vice President, you think that everyone knew who Donald Sterling was? Let alone his history?

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Bidenvice-presidentPewsurvey/2010/09/29/id/371976/

I think you overestimate "general" awareness of Donald Sterling, even among the Clipper fan base. Sure, they might know the name but how many actually look him up? Don't confuse the hardcore team fans with the average fan, or the fans of the rest of the NBA.

And it's not like the Clipper fan base was large until recent years. The Lakers dominated the headlines for decades. And how many families started taking their kids to the game without checking out the Owner? And why would you have paid any attention to Sterling prior to becoming a Clippers fan?

And that's assuming you thought the lawsuits were legit vs being bogus legal cases to squeeze money out of him. They were all settled out of court so it wasn't like Sterling was admitting guilt. After all, isn't it easier to assume that he's being sued by greedy people than to believe the guy who employs a ton of minorities and has hundreds of photo's of him with minorities is NOT a racist versus being a person who views them as inferior and simply assets to make him more money and gain social status?

Keep up with the "You should already know this" stuff.

your ignorance of Donald Sterling's history does not mitigate your ignorant analysis of "what will happen"

torocan
04-27-2014, 01:36 PM
your ignorance of Donald Sterling's history does not mitigate your ignorant analysis of "what will happen"

Of course. That players are backing away from him, he's being castigated in the mainstream media, that he's the highest trending topic in the social media sphere, that Owners are backing away from him and calling out his comments, that the POTUS is getting questions about him in the middle of a news conference in Malaysia, that celebrities in the entertainment world are commenting on the situation... yah, that's all not happening right now.

If you don't think that's going to impact how he does business and his customer base, I don't know what to say at this point other than you should seriously do some research on how public relations crisis impact the bottom line for businesses.

Just ask Mel Gibson how his tirade worked out.

It's one thing to work with a "racist", it's another when it becomes so public and commonly known that you are stained by association.

I have no doubt there are players that knew he was a racist when they signed, but given the nature of endorsement deals and sponsors, do you see ANYONE signing with the Clippers now? Or inviting him to events? Or wanting to be caught dead within 100 feet of him? The Mayor of LA called him out. Do you see any politicians wanting to be seen with him? How about marketing executives of corporations that do work with the Clippers?

The NBA doesn't even want his face at games right now. But no, none of that is real. There are no social consequences... :rolleyes:

Vinylman
04-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Of course. That players are backing away from him, he's being castigated in the mainstream media, that he's the highest trending topic in the social media sphere, that Owners are backing away from him and calling out his comments, that the POTUS is getting questions about him in the middle of a news conference in Malaysia, that celebrities in the entertainment world are commenting on the situation... yah, that's all not happening right now.

If you don't think that's going to impact how he does business and his customer base, I don't know what to say at this point other than you should seriously do some research on how public relations crisis impact the bottom line for businesses.

Just ask Mel Gibson how his tirade worked out.

It's one thing to work with a "racist", it's another when it becomes so public and commonly known that you are stained by association.

I have no doubt there are players that knew he was a racist when they signed, but given the nature of endorsement deals and sponsors, do you see ANYONE signing with the Clippers now? Or inviting him to events? Or wanting to be caught dead within 100 feet of him? The Mayor of LA called him out. Do you see any politicians wanting to be seen with him? How about marketing executives of corporations that do work with the Clippers?

The NBA doesn't even want his face at games right now. But no, none of that is real. There are no social consequences... :rolleyes:

Time will only tell what happens to Donald Sterling... History has proven that there have been minimal consequences for his actions...

The outrage over Donald Sterlings comments will only last until the next great outrage occurs...

your willingness to give the ignorant public credit to pay attention for more than 5 minutes is what is truly outrageous

goingfor28
04-27-2014, 02:12 PM
He should have the balls to show his face in Oakland for today's game, see how the fans and citizens greet him.

RaiderLakersA's
04-27-2014, 02:17 PM
If the comments are Sterling's, I think the players should have some recourse that goes beyond whatever sanctions the NBA imposes.

If a player brought ignominy to the team, the team is allowed to void a contract and fire the player. There's no firing the owner so easily, but I think the players should be allowed to opt out of their contracts when an owner's statements or actions are this reprehensible and contravene a player's basic dignity as a human being.

Unless and until that happens, yes, boycotting ought to be an option.

This isn't about being a professional athlete. First and foremost, these individuals are men. Let nothing supersede that fact; let nothing abrogate that fact. Not money, standing as a professional athlete, not championship banners. Sterling's comments, if his, are an affront to everything that the NBA and these players stand for.

It's the player's choice, but I, personally, would not compromise on my own humanity. Not for all of the championship trophies in the world.

Why continue to play this peculiar American game? Why play for a man that doesn't show this fundamental level of respect at all times? I see no reason why a player's name, fame, and efforts should contribute another cent to the owner's coffers. A player should have the option to choose whether or not they want to remain a part of Sterling's "new millennia slaveholder" fantasies. I mean you have to wonder, for an owner with racist views, when his African American players shoot the ball, does he see them scoring a basket...or picking another bail of cotton? Will we ever really know?

If true, I wouldn't play for a racist owner. As long as he was the owner, I would find a way to leave the Clippers. Boycotting would be a good start.

b@llhog24
04-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Lol I love threads like these. Let's listen to all the hypocrites acting like they'd take a pay cut of thousands upon thousands of dollars just for some scumbag.

torocan
04-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Another recording released today from Deadspin in case anyone missed it.

http://deadspin.com/exclusive-the-extended-donald-sterling-tape-1568291249

... and the Ex-gf is claiming she had permission to record him.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/27/donald-sterling-racist-audio-v-stiviano-recorded-clippers/

Vinylman
04-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Another recording released today from Deadspin in case anyone missed it.

http://deadspin.com/exclusive-the-extended-donald-sterling-tape-1568291249

... and the Ex-gf is claiming she had permission to record him.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/27/donald-sterling-racist-audio-v-stiviano-recorded-clippers/

Thanks scoop... maybe you should post this in a couple of more threads

torocan
04-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Time will only tell what happens to Donald Sterling... History has proven that there have been minimal consequences for his actions...

The outrage over Donald Sterlings comments will only last until the next great outrage occurs...

your willingness to give the ignorant public credit to pay attention for more than 5 minutes is what is truly outrageous

The difference is that this isn't just the public at this point.

Jordan, Kobe and Lebron have all thrown him to the wolves saying that if it is true that he needs to step down. Other owners are calling him out as well. It's also entered the political sphere and mainstream news cycle. Former players are saying they wouldn't put on a jersey if it was them in a play off game and that he needs to sell.

There is no circling of the wagons taking place as in the past.

Vinylman
04-27-2014, 03:11 PM
The difference is that this isn't just the public at this point.

Jordan, Kobe and Lebron have all thrown him to the wolves saying that if it is true that he needs to step down. Other owners are calling him out as well. It's also entered the political sphere and mainstream news cycle. Former players are saying they wouldn't put on a jersey if it was them in a play off game and that he needs to sell.

There is no circling of the wagons taking place as in the past.

your opinion... and like most of these types of incidents the outrage peaks and fades...

Hopefully he will be ousted but your insistence that it is inevitable is naive

Touchdownboy
04-27-2014, 03:28 PM
LOL @ thinking it matters what the players do. Sterling and his fellow Jews in the upstairs seats will decide.

goingfor28
04-27-2014, 03:36 PM
LOL @ thinking it matters what the players do. Sterling and his fellow Jews in the upstairs seats will decide.

DTS aint there

Vinylman
04-27-2014, 03:44 PM
DTS aint there

sterling? the league said he couldn't attend

goingfor28
04-27-2014, 03:44 PM
sterling? the league said he couldn't attend

I know. That's what I said.

Touchdownboy
04-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Clippers getting butt kicked. Cue the excuses

Vinylman
04-27-2014, 03:49 PM
I know. That's what I said.

no... you were implying that somehow the players had something to do with that... they didn't

and if you weren't there was zero point to your post... especially quoting the other guy

goingfor28
04-27-2014, 03:51 PM
no... you were implying that somehow the players had something to do with that... they didn't

and if you weren't there was zero point to your post... especially quoting the other guy

I said DTS isn't there, which he isn't. The guy I quote said sterling and his jew friends are sitting somewhere up high. Learn to read

Vinylman
04-27-2014, 05:04 PM
I said DTS isn't there, which he isn't. The guy I quote said sterling and his jew friends are sitting somewhere up high. Learn to read

that's not what he meant about sterling and his jew friends...

try understanding

PhillySportFan
04-27-2014, 05:28 PM
You get paid by ownership but you play for yourself, your team, and the fans. You don't just stop playing playoffs because of that, now do you take action against the owner in the off season? Of course you do.