PDA

View Full Version : Donald Sterling Recorded Being Racist

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

kylem4711
04-26-2014, 03:37 AM
This is unbelievable. Everyone knows that sterling is racist, but it is still really shocking to hear.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/26/donald-sterling-clippers-owner-black-people-racist-audio-magic-johnson/

nyyfan4life
04-26-2014, 03:50 AM
Lol...

The guy is a nutjob.

*Superman*
04-26-2014, 03:50 AM
So his girlfriend set him up? Lol.

The guy is a tool. Can't even believe there are people that still think like that.

tmacmamba
04-26-2014, 03:53 AM
I wonder how Doc, Chris, Dj feel about this, This is gonna be all over Espn.

tdg823
04-26-2014, 04:03 AM
If I remember correctly he get the biggest fine ever for housing discrimination. Terrible guy as I understand, heard stories about him dating back years. Always wondered how the team felt about it or if the knew how racist, discriminatory he is...

Asik's better
I wonder how Doc, Chris, Dj feel about this, This is gonna be all over Espn.
They kno who donald sterling is. Everyone does. They probably just ignore him and don't interact with him. Let's face it, the league is just counting down the days until he dies and everyone will let out a big sigh of relief once he does.

tdg823
Don't really know if ESPN will care, they didn't care about his past stuff

lamzoka
04-26-2014, 04:07 AM
Might as well put up "no color people allowed" signs all over the gates of staple center during clipper games.

tredigs
04-26-2014, 04:18 AM
I love how he's A-OK with his GF sleeping with black guys all day, "JUST DON'T BROADCAST A PICTURE WITH MAGIC JOHNSON ON THE INSTAGRAM!".

And he's' delusional enough to think the world sees her "as a fine latina or white girl", rather than the half latina/black that she is.

To say he's "set in his ways" is an understatement, he grew up as a privileged white male in a very racist time of our society, and his views are shared by millions of elderly whites (and frankly minorities towards whites) across America, but it does not make it any less sad and pathetic.

To the girlfriend, this is what you get when you're digging for gold and not happiness.

Cracka2HI!
04-26-2014, 04:34 AM
Just when it wasn't embarrassing to be a Clipper fan.

P&GRealist
04-26-2014, 05:00 AM
Bad aura, bad karma = Clippers aint winning this yr.

And I actually thought they had a real chance.

KingstonHawke
04-26-2014, 05:32 AM

I seriously can't respect anyone that still would refer to themselves as a Clippers fan after hearing that. I understand that his employees have families so they should try their best to just ignore it. But the Clippers fans should force him to sale the team.

This is why I'm always so annoyed anytime someone brings up a topic having to do with racial inequality in sports and all the dumbasses come out and say "let's not talk about it". This is why we NEED to talk about it. Because problems don't get changed if they aren't first acknowledged. And there is still BIG time racism going on in this country. This guy not only makes his money of the sweat of blacks, he's dating one, and he had to basically dump his girlfriend to avoid losing all of his white multi-millionaire buddies. That's gross on so many levels.

PurpleLynch
04-26-2014, 05:51 AM
**** this guy,he's a living parody of the classic rich and stupid old man. And he's racist too.

Crackadalic
04-26-2014, 06:35 AM
I don't know how I feel about this. I want to rant but I'm so disgusted by this. Not gonna lie

Goose17
04-26-2014, 06:45 AM
How can players willingly play for him?

ATX
04-26-2014, 07:02 AM
How will Silver respond to Sterling? Sterlings words are not only shameful for himself but also the league.

ldawg
04-26-2014, 07:13 AM
fans should not go to clipper games well minority fans and whites who are beyond stupidity.

ldawg
04-26-2014, 07:16 AM
I hope clippers crash and burn, All the black players including the coaches should just go out and play but really don't make that great of an effort force him to sell the team. this is 2014 no time for ignorance. Aint watching no more clippers games fans should not support.

wiley6
04-26-2014, 07:21 AM
Its not gonna happen but I would love to see both teams and the fans boycott the next game and just protest outside the Staples Center calling for the NBA to force him out. **** this piece of **** and people like him. We need to get *******s like this out of the world so the rest of us can live in a civilized society.

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 07:30 AM
I can't believe what I just heard. That man should not be allowed to own an NBA team or be in charge of any kind of major corporation. I've read allegations of his alleged racism in the past, but to hear him say how he truly feels on tape was just disgusting. I hope this gets him into deep, deep ****.

ldawg
04-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Take his money just don't win for him. We are all racist in or own way we all see color first and we all link color to groups. But to not like someone because of color is super ignorant. Have zero respect for him. People like him and Trump are why America have so much problem. The American culture is ****. They are part of the problem not the solution. These people call the president bad when he is in fact trying to help the country all fouls like them don't give a crap about America just their pockets.

ldawg
04-26-2014, 07:49 AM
Racist people are to be blame for most of the crime, bad school system, the poverty level in America, the bad streets of Chicago, The BS music that plays on the radio, Etc Its all the Aftermath of Racism. People do what it takes to survive humans adopt they don't just role over and die. The next time you be racist just know and remember you and your hate and greed are the main part of the problem. goons of La? what you doing?

MyDRoseLikeDeng
04-26-2014, 08:03 AM
What can be done about this though? I dont know how this can work, but in no way should this guy be in charge of a professional basketball team, much less a team that has a legit shot to win a title. The guy not only deserves to lose the Clippers, he also deserves to rot in hell

GiantsSwaGG
04-26-2014, 08:40 AM
If you're still a Clippers fan, shame on you!

Duncan = Donkey
04-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Wouldnt want to be a black dude on the Clippers, playing for a guy like that.

Auseranami
04-26-2014, 08:55 AM
He can't be that racist if she's half black half latina...

Red_Pill
04-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Watched the whole conversation and these are my thoughts. As a mixed race man. Both white and black, I understand what he's saying about culture. Black culture, whether you want to accept it or not, is generally looked down upon by others.

With that said, yes, it's clear this guy has issues deep down in regard to race. He blames it on culture, but he really does have issues with race. If he didn't, he wouldn't dislike Magic Johnson, who's about as far away from black culture as a black man can get.

Anyway, I really don't think this is much of an issue. If someone wants to be a racist, let them. Couldn't care less.

Red_Pill
04-26-2014, 09:26 AM
To the girlfriend, this is what you get when you're digging for gold and not happiness.

Haha, exactly. Though, she clearly was preparing to leave the relationship as evidenced by recording this. She probably got a nice big payday from TMZ for this.

Red_Pill
04-26-2014, 09:30 AM
I seriously can't respect anyone that still would refer to themselves as a Clippers fan after hearing that. I understand that his employees have families so they should try their best to just ignore it. But the Clippers fans should force him to sale the team.

This is why I'm always so annoyed anytime someone brings up a topic having to do with racial inequality in sports and all the dumbasses come out and say "let's not talk about it". This is why we NEED to talk about it. Because problems don't get changed if they aren't first acknowledged. And there is still BIG time racism going on in this country. This guy not only makes his money of the sweat of blacks, he's dating one, and he had to basically dump his girlfriend to avoid losing all of his white multi-millionaire buddies. That's gross on so many levels.

How is him being racist a problem? Is he signing the checks? Are they clearing? Yes? Okay, there's no problem. If the man wants to be a racist, let him. Perhaps a stunt like this will just prevent valuable players from wanting to play for the Clippers.

Goose17
04-26-2014, 09:30 AM
I just don't understand his mindset, if he's a racist why tell your girlfriend you don't mind her sleeping with black people? I don't get that.

Red_Pill
04-26-2014, 09:34 AM
I just don't understand his mindset, if he's a racist why tell your girlfriend you don't mind her sleeping with black people? I don't get that.

It's about image.

Publicly, he wants her to come across as classy. Generally speaking, black culture is not classy.

A lot of people are like this. Image is everything to them.

b@llhog24
04-26-2014, 09:37 AM
I bet he has penis envy.

hugepatsfan
04-26-2014, 09:44 AM
I bet he has penis envy.

I doubt it if he's telling her she can sleep with black dudes. Plus with how rich he is he could get ***** with a half inch dick.

All jokes aside, he's a horrible person. It's that simple. I hope that once this thread gets going though (and it will) no one lets him off the hook by making this a white America thing. This isn't a white America thing, this is a Donald Sterling thing. Racism is not a quality naturally found in white people. It's a learned behavior/belief a person of any race can exhibit. Anyone who does is an ignorant person and deserves to be ripped to pieces for it. Donald Sterling is a piece of ****.

curtcocaine
04-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Where are all the clipper fans. I wanna year how there felling about this.

whyumadbro!
04-26-2014, 09:54 AM
Not good. He equates black people with that fat girl every guy wants but don't want to be seen with - after last call

Red_Pill
04-26-2014, 09:57 AM
I doubt it if he's telling her she can sleep with black dudes. Plus with how rich he is he could get ***** with a half inch dick.

All jokes aside, he's a horrible person. It's that simple. I hope that once this thread gets going though (and it will) no one lets him off the hook by making this a white America thing. This isn't a white America thing, this is a Donald Sterling thing. Racism is not a quality naturally found in white people. It's a learned behavior/belief a person of any race can exhibit. Anyone who does is an ignorant person and deserves to be ripped to pieces for it. Donald Sterling is a piece of ****.

Racism is not, however, natural preference for people who look similar to yourself is a very real thing. It's why most white people have mostly white friends, asians have mostly asian friends, and blacks have mostly black friends.

Why do you care so much that this one guy is racist? How does it affect you?

KingstonHawke
04-26-2014, 10:02 AM
How is him being racist a problem? Is he signing the checks? Are they clearing? Yes? Okay, there's no problem. If the man wants to be a racist, let him. Perhaps a stunt like this will just prevent valuable players from wanting to play for the Clippers.

Wow! Are you so racist that you really need me to explain to you why racism is dumb? The saddest part about what you just said is that you probably have children which you obviously are not fit to parent.

KingstonHawke
04-26-2014, 10:10 AM
It's about image.

Publicly, he wants her to come across as classy. Generally speaking, black culture is not classy.

A lot of people are like this. Image is everything to them.

This is exactly the problem with racism! Instead of showing off a guy like Magic Johnson who's worked hard as hell to prove that black culture is not only what you think it is. He's reinforcing stereotypes that lead to inequality.

It's no different than refusing to hire a woman because you fear what idiots will perceive of your company.

And I'll add... anyone saying that the players should do anything less then go out their and do their job are idiots as well. How does that help anyone? What would help society is if the fans boycotted the games. Not only would the owners FORCE him to sale his franchise at a loss, but they would also become very conscious of allowing owners who are openly racist in the future.

hugepatsfan
04-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Racism is not, however, natural preference for people who look similar to yourself is a very real thing. It's why most white people have mostly white friends, asians have mostly asian friends, and blacks have mostly black friends.

He's dating a half black/latina women apparently. This isn't about a personal preference for people who look like him. I agree with you on that point. It's not racist for color/race to play a role in physical attraction. This is just about Sterling thinking that African Americans are unprofessional and shouldn't be seen in public as a result. It's disgusting. I don't think it's just insulting to African Americans, it's insulting to human beings in general. I'm white but racism of any kind still legitimately offends me because we are all human beings first.

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 10:16 AM

I just don't get the argument that he doesn't care if she sleeps with black people, but he just doesn't want to see her post photos of her with black people on Instagram. WTF? What kind of man lets his girlfriend sleep with other man and is totally fine with it? And what kind of man puts more emphasis on how his girlfriend manages her social media account than on her fidelity? His priorities are completely insane. I suppose money allows people to become terrible human beings.

flea
04-26-2014, 10:16 AM
I can't believe what I just heard. That man should not be allowed to own an NBA team or be in charge of any kind of major corporation. I've read allegations of his alleged racism in the past, but to hear him say how he truly feels on tape was just disgusting. I hope this gets him into deep, deep ****.

Fortunately you don't have to get checked out by the PC Police in order to conduct business (yet).

torocan
04-26-2014, 10:21 AM
I've felt sympathy for the Clippers fans for years, partly due to the decades of crappy basketball they had to endure but also their POS owner.

That said, if you're a minority player on the Clippers, you gotta do what you gotta do to pay the bills. However, if you're NOT on the Clippers I just can't respect a player if they KNEW who Sterling was and decided to sign with the Clippers anyway.

Long time basketball fans knew that Sterling is a POS. I sometimes think that people conveniently "forget" why Sterling is one of the most hated owners in the NBA. And some of the younger fans and players just don't know.

If I was a Clipper fan I'd still watch the games out of loyalty to the team, but there's no way in heck that I'd buy a single ticket, or a jersey or even a keychain. A man like Sterling doesn't deserve a dime of my money, and I won't be complicit in making a guy like him a dime richer when the Clippers earn the bulk of their profits off the back of minorities.

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Fortunately you don't have to get checked out by the PC Police in order to conduct business (yet).

Fortunately? So you're condoning that a man in charge of a company worth nearly $1 billion that makes its money off the work of predominantly black people be allowed to say incredibly racist comments on a regular basis regarding African Americans? Please explain to me what's "fortunate" about it.

flea
04-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Fortunately? So you're condoning that a man in charge of a company worth nearly $1 billion that makes its money off the work of predominantly black people be allowed to say incredibly racist comments on a regular basis regarding African Americans? Please explain to me what's "fortunate" about it.

Yeah I believe in freedom of expression, even if I don't agree with what's being said. I didn't think that was so novel.

tredigs
04-26-2014, 10:33 AM
On a somewhat side note, I'm honestly surprised that the old-racist-billionaires-club would actually not see an "exception" for a man like Magic Johnson; who owns a fantastic public image and is an ultra successful business man himself (parlayed his 18 mill + endorsements in career salary to half a billion via 'Magic Enterprises').

I understand that for him it's an image thing for her to be even seen publicly sharing a moment with a black person, but even MAGIC? That is very exclusively racist of him from an image perspective I must say, especially considering he doesn't even mind black men openly plowing her with his full knowledge and endorsement while they go out.

Strange ****er.

I feel sorry for Clips fans as well as Clips players + coaches (though less so for them, as many of them came through free agency and Sterling's inherent racism issues were known throughout the NBA... but many players are gold diggers just like his GF, let's be honest. Not that most of us wouldn't be).

flea
04-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Maybe this is all just a confused sex game that we only got to hear part of. What if he has 20 person orgies with only black men and his girlfriend. Is he still racist then? Donald Sterling: the most misunderstood cuckold.

goingfor28
04-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Gotta love DTS

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 10:54 AM

You, sir, have written some of the most disgusting and disturbing comments I have ever read on this board.

Why would an African American employee want to work for a racist boss? No, this is not only about money. Decency and self respect are also involved.

Now Silver, hopefully, will watch the inner workings of the Clips more closely. Are minorities restricted from certain areas of the arena? Is there a cap on the number of African Americans seated court side? How many minority executives work under Sterling? Is there a discrepancy in pay for non-basket ball playing employess? I don't know, but those are things that certainly should be investigated. Sterling has demonstrated true bias in stating that associating with African Americans can be detrimental.

Cliven Bundy is "just one" racist guy, and his recent comments have birthed a firestorm. Yes, even one racist person matters.

tredigs
04-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Maybe this is all just a confused sex game that we only got to hear part of. What if he has 20 person orgies with only black men and his girlfriend. Is he still racist then? Donald Sterling: the most misunderstood cuckold.

Hah, well like a previous poster talked about, he's racist not on a personal level (other than feeling superior to them simply due to the color of his skin without ever mentioning it...), but as it pertains to his image among the old-white-billionaire-douchebag club. He doesn't want to see his arm-piece on a public forum with what he/they consider to be sub elite people.

There are many forms and degrees of racism, and that seems to be his.

Auseranami
04-26-2014, 10:55 AM
You guys are making a big deal about something stupid.

goingfor28
04-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Love me some good old fashion DTS :laugh2:
Idk why anyone is surprised by this. It's who he is. And why the hell should Clipper fans be shameful? It's not the fans fault, and the fans don't root for DTS.

Patriot Pride
04-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Dude is a straight up tool. Someone need to go Django on his ***.

Hurry up and die you old ****.

TDE
04-26-2014, 11:00 AM
I wonder what he really thinks of his players.

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 11:01 AM

Wonder if Clipper players and coaches feel the same way.

It is stupid, but it is also a big deal.

John Walls Era
04-26-2014, 11:03 AM
It has been a quiet year for Sterling.

ThuglifeJ
04-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Well to be semi-fair..this clearly seemed like the girlfriend set him up. She kept antagonizing the situation after he said not to talk about it over and over again.

Doesn't change the fact that he's super racist and straight ridiculous, obviously. Just saying, I'm sure you could string together audio of someone you know saying something bad just by antagonizing it.

not trying to defend Sterling or his racisim...just showing a different side to it.

You know girls have a lot of power with this type of stuff.. they could do something like cheat on you then start an argument with you then decide to record it...at your worst? and they could be saying terrible **** and then once the audio starts start acting innocent/sappy and what not.

STILL, not defending Sterling. Just I doubt this girl is anything innocent either, hell she's a goldigger I dont respect that ever....but he did say something about her changing her race, which is ****ing stupid.

tredigs
04-26-2014, 11:04 AM

The Southerner has spoken. This is a stupid non-issue that should be swept under the rug, amirite?

Crackadalic
04-26-2014, 11:05 AM

This is the most ignorant **** I've seen in a while

As someone of both black and Asian heritage I've had my share of racism etc but I'm able to be friends with all types of races

For you to think it's not a big deal shows you yourself either haven't experience it or your just really oblivious of it.

I'm not going to go any further then this since it's a sports form but I will say one thing.

When people start looking at each other as one race The human race when things will change and sadly that way of thinking will keep that dream from ever happening

Patriot Pride
04-26-2014, 11:07 AM
The Southerner has spoken. This is a stupid non-issue that should be swept under the rug, amirite?

There is no racism in Texas, so its not a big deal to him.

:laugh2:

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 11:07 AM

Some of these posters have hearts as corrupt as Sterlings.

TDE
04-26-2014, 11:12 AM

As soon as I read this comment I looked at his location, it made sense then.

waveycrockett
04-26-2014, 11:15 AM
How the hell did Donald Sterling get an NBA team in LA? Thats crazy.

torocan
04-26-2014, 11:17 AM
How the hell did Donald Sterling get an NBA team in LA? Thats crazy.

He's owned it since 1981. Different era.

flea
04-26-2014, 11:18 AM

Texas isn't the South.

BigCityofDreams
04-26-2014, 11:22 AM
On a somewhat side note, I'm honestly surprised that the old-racist-billionaires-club would actually not see an "exception" for a man like Magic Johnson; who owns a fantastic public image and is an ultra successful business man himself (parlayed his 18 mill + endorsements in career salary to half a billion via 'Magic Enterprises').

I understand that for him it's an image thing for her to be even seen publicly sharing a moment with a black person, but even MAGIC? That is very exclusively racist of him from an image perspective I must say, especially considering he doesn't even mind black men openly plowing her with his full knowledge and endorsement while they go out.

Strange ****er.

I feel sorry for Clips fans as well as Clips players + coaches (though less so for them, as many of them came through free agency and Sterling's inherent racism issues were known throughout the NBA... but many players are gold diggers just like his GF, let's be honest. Not that most of us wouldn't be).

Because to him Magic is no different than the regular black he comes in contact with on a daily basis but at the end of the day Magic is still a black person.

TylerSL
04-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Why is she apologizing to him?? You know, this may seem a little insensitive, but the old people like Donald Sterling that think that way need to just die out before they can teach their grandchildren to think that way.

tredigs
04-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Texas isn't the South.

You're all the same to me.

Clippersfan86
04-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Why are we surprised? Sterling has had multiple lawsuits against him for being a scumbag. That being said, this particular interview is being overblown. Its nowhere near as bad as other **** he's done.

1. Completely staged to frame him by the female. Its obvious to anybody with a brain that this was a set up.

2. When Donald says "don't bring minorities to my games" he's talking about her bringing dates. Sounds like he's got an insecurity of her fu**ing black guys or something. I don't get the vibe that he's saying he dislikes them.

Vampirate
04-26-2014, 11:38 AM
I don't really understand owning a team in a league where the majority of the players are black if you're racist.

Crackadalic
04-26-2014, 11:42 AM
I don't really understand owning a team in a league where the majority of the players are black if you're racist.

He's making money off them.

BigCityofDreams

It happens more than ppl think. I'm sure there are racists in charge of other billion companies that feel the same way. They can tolerate black ppl but not necessarily be friends with them or like them.

TylerSL

maybe the way he sees it is he is owning black people....

FlashBolt
04-26-2014, 11:45 AM
I didn't hear the entire thing but his "GF" is a complete gold digger. She pretends that she's perfectly fine and everything but is setting him up. Donald Sterling is a huge nutcase but c'mon, she set him up and he's OLD. Sometimes OLD people live in a generation in which it was perfectly fine to hate other races. I'm not saying it's normal and right but you can't blame him if he lived during those times and has trouble adjusting. He may be a racist but what she is doing is just as worst. She is literally dragging on the subject trying to make something out of nothing. And what's this deal of him saying "You can sleep with them.."? What kind of relationship is this? Silly golddigger.

Crackadalic
04-26-2014, 11:47 AM
He's A racist turd and it's disgusting but he's a left over from the old generation and can't adjust to the times despite have a mixed gold digging gf

He's a racist who's in denial

Clippersfan86
04-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Sterling famously told his players "look at all of these beautiful black bodies". He's a bigot and old school, segregation minded white guy. Don't think he dislikes blacks or Hispanics. Otherwise he wouldn't be involved in basketball IMO. He just feels he's superior to them probably like another poster said.

Good God.... Now Jesse Jackson who's a massive scumbag in his own right is calling for the Clippers players and coaches to protest/boycott. This is going to be a huge ****ing distraction. The timing of the release is VERY suspect. Maybe Mark Jackson paid this ***** to release it now lol.

Snakeyestx
04-26-2014, 11:48 AM
I'd love to hear what Doc or ... oh I dunno... the majority of the team have to say about this. How hard will they play for that kind of owner now? :confused:

Big Zo
04-26-2014, 11:54 AM
I wonder if he knows that the KKK, and other racist folks aren't too fond of him being a jew, either.

Crackadalic
04-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Sterling famously told his players "look at all of these beautiful black bodies". He's a bigot and old school, segregation minded white guy. Don't think he dislikes blacks or Hispanics. Otherwise he wouldn't be involved in basketball IMO. He just feels he's superior to them probably like another poster said.

Good God.... Now Jesse Jackson who's a massive scumbag in his own right is calling for the Clippers players and coaches to protest/boycott. This is going to be a huge ****ing distraction. The timing of the release is VERY suspect. Maybe Mark Jackson paid this ***** to release it now lol.

Jesse Jackson is the most hypocritical mofo. He's just as racist as this guy

goingfor28
04-26-2014, 11:56 AM
I'd love to hear what Doc or ... oh I dunno... the majority of the team have to say about this. How hard will they play for that kind of owner now? :confused:

Like they didn't know who he was before today? Lol cmon this is who DTS is. It's nothing new

Clippersfan86
04-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Wow. Apparently Clippers held a team meeting and players are rightfully pissed. Pull a Chicago Bulls and use that anger to win.

Teeboy1487
04-26-2014, 11:59 AM
What a horrible person this man is. I was too disgusted to watch the whole audio. The players for the Clippers should boycott. No way I would want to play for a man like this.

Crackadalic
04-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Wow. Apparently Clippers held a team meeting and players are rightfully pissed. Pull a Chicago Bulls and use that anger to win.

I get he's been a known racist for years and he should kick the bucket soon but this will be big news only because the clippers are actually title contenders and the lakers are not playing so I can see this thing blowing up for sure. Especially since the next game is on ABC tomorrow

Clippersfan86
04-26-2014, 12:08 PM
I agree. He's lost racism class action lawsuits before. Not like this is news. Since the Clippers are good now, people want to watch them burn.

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Might as well put up "no color people allowed" signs all over the gates of staple center during clipper games.

i think most of the patrons at the games are not black. the few times I go to games, it's at least 80% white. and it seems that way watching games on tv as well.
i'd be curious to know the exact numbers.

torocan
04-26-2014, 12:14 PM

The fact that the players are angry makes me wonder how many of them actually did their homework on Sterling?

IF you didn't know the story on Sterling and you're a player on the Clippers, how do you react to finding out that your team's Owner is a racist? I can't imagine that will sit well with many of them. Really, really bad timing for the Clipper fans...

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 12:17 PM

is it ok to have my username as n-word2HI!?

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Yeah I believe in freedom of expression, even if I don't agree with what's being said. I didn't think that was so novel.

I'm all about freedom of speech, but when it comes to the workplace, you can very much cross a line that should not be tolerated. If you or I said the things that Sterling said on that tape, we would either be fired from our jobs or receive an extremely stern talking to. And his job is CONSTANTLY in the public's eye. To make matter's worse, he didn't just go out of his way to insult all minorities, he went out of his way to disrespect one of the most beloved athletes in the sport's history and one of the most beloved figures in the city he lives in.

If you think that freedom of speech alone should allow this man to say these things without consequence while he makes millions of dollars a year profiting from the work of the same men he publicly discriminates against, your values are beyond ****ed up.

Sandman
04-26-2014, 12:20 PM
hey check it out, an actual racist for once

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Racist people are to be blame for most of the crime, bad school system, the poverty level in America, the bad streets of Chicago, The BS music that plays on the radio, Etc Its all the Aftermath of Racism. People do what it takes to survive humans adopt they don't just role over and die. The next time you be racist just know and remember you and your hate and greed are the main part of the problem. goons of La? what you doing?
uhhh no.
people are responsible for their own actions.

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 12:24 PM

last I checked, being racist is not against the law.

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 12:29 PM
This is the most ignorant **** I've seen in a while

As someone of both black and Asian heritage I've had my share of racism etc but I'm able to be friends with all types of races

For you to think it's not a big deal shows you yourself either haven't experience it or your just really oblivious of it.

I'm not going to go any further then this since it's a sports form but I will say one thing.

When people start looking at each other as one race The human race when things will change and sadly that way of thinking will keep that dream from ever happening

good for you. it's a good thing we live in a country where we are free to associate with whomever we choose.

what he said was not ignorant, but the truth. as humans, we tend to self segregate, whether it be race, culture, religion, whatever your personal preference is.

flea
04-26-2014, 12:30 PM
I'm all about freedom of speech, but when it comes to the workplace, you can very much cross a line that should not be tolerated. If you or I said the things that Sterling said on that tape, we would either be fired from our jobs or receive an extremely stern talking to. And his job is CONSTANTLY in the public's eye. To make matter's worse, he didn't just go out of his way to insult all minorities, he went out of his way to disrespect one of the most beloved athletes in the sport's history and one of the most beloved figures in the city he lives in.

If you think that freedom of speech alone should allow this man to say these things without consequence while he makes millions of dollars a year profiting from the work of the same men he publicly discriminates against, your values are beyond ****ed up.

If your employer is telling you what to think or say during the time that you're not on the clock then you should tell him to **** off. The guy was recorded in a private conversation with his girlfriend and you want the PC Police to to enact "consequences." What do you think the ethereal "they" should do to him? Give him a stern talking to?

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 12:32 PM

Uh, in the workplace, racism IS against the law.

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Wonder if Clipper players and coaches feel the same way.

It is stupid, but it is also a big deal.

it's really not. if you feel it is, it's only because he's a white person in a position of power saying something about black people, and we live in a PC era.
think the black players feel all rosy about white folk?

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 12:36 PM

What does it being illegal or legal have anything to do with it? That's such an ignorant statement. There's a monumental difference between something that's illegal and something that should disqualify you from ever being in charge of a billion dollar company. It's like politics. If I'm a mayor and I regularly get drunk and post a bunch of insensitive, ignorant crap on social media, I should be asked to step down from my position for being an ignorant buffoon. (Don't ask me how Rob Ford gets away with it)

Donald Sterling is the owner and face of the LA Clippers franchise. He hasn't just publicly discriminated against the very race which makes up a huge percentage of the industry he profits from MULTIPLE times, but now he's discriminating against pretty much all minorities while insulting one of the most well respected figures in the history of the industry.

If he were the CEO of a major company and did that, he'd be resigning by the end of the weekend. But he's the owner of a professional basketball team, so apparently the man can say whatever the **** he wants with no repercussions. It's sickening.

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 12:37 PM

uhhh, nope, it's not.
only if a person is denied employment, compensation, promotion, etc. because of race, then a CIVIL suit could be brought against the employer. not criminal.
axe me how I know.

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 12:38 PM
If your employer is telling you what to think or say during the time that you're not on the clock then you should tell him to **** off. The guy was recorded in a private conversation with his girlfriend and you want the PC Police to to enact "consequences." What do you think the ethereal "they" should do to him? Give him a stern talking to?

So, if your employer tells you off the clock that "you're not as good as my white employees, and will never advance in this company" it's ok because he/I am not on the clock?

This goes way beyond being PC. This is a stain on the NBA, because this man basically just said that Magic Johnson is not a suitable rep for the NBA. Magic Johnson and he is one of the NBA's most loved figures. This also relates to Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Julius Irving. The list goes on....

hugepatsfan
04-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Jesse Jackson is the most hypocritical mofo. He's just as racist as this guy

Totally agreed, but that's an argument for another day.

Enzo
04-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Both him and his gold digging girlfriend are disgusting human beings. I honestly hope that she gets just as much hell for this as he does. The guys a POS racist and she was going for the gold.

torocan

Being a racist isn't against the law. Being a racist in the workplace IS against the law. Discriminating in business on the basis of race is against the law.

And harming the public image of the NBA is 100% against the NBA franchise contract agreement.

For many companies, getting busted for something like this is enough to have your franchise revoked. Try doing that as a McDonald's or Herz owner. The company would yank your franchise so fast your head would spin.

The real question is what is the NBA going to do about it? All the previous stuff against Sterling was allegations tied up in lawsuits. This is different... this is a "smoking gun" tape that pretty much removes any doubt as to what's going through Sterling's mind.

His GF may be a gold-digger, or she might be so in love that she's blind (I lean towards the former), but it doesn't change the fact that a multi-billion dollar industry that is predominantly functional due to minority athletes and has a substantial minority fan base can NOT ignore something like this.

And if you're a minority player or coach and didn't do your homework on Sterling, or wasn't completely sure (rich guys get sued all the time on bogus allegations), it puts you in a very awkward position where you have to make a decision of how much your personal morality and integrity means to you.

I don't envy Paul, Griffin, DJ and co. It's a lot to deal with for guys in their 20's and early 30's when the whole world will be watching your next move under a microscope.

blahblahyoutoo
What does it being illegal or legal have anything to do with it? That's such an ignorant statement. There's a monumental difference between something that's illegal and something that should disqualify you from ever being in charge of a billion dollar company. It's like politics. If I'm a mayor and I regularly get drunk and post a bunch of insensitive, ignorant crap on social media, I should be asked to step down from my position for being an ignorant buffoon. (Don't ask me how Rob Ford gets away with it)

Donald Sterling is the owner and face of the LA Clippers franchise. He hasn't just publicly discriminated against the very race which makes up a huge percentage of the industry he profits from MULTIPLE times, but now he's discriminating against pretty much all minorities while insulting one of the most well respected figures in the history of the industry.

If he were the CEO of a major company and did that, he'd be resigning by the end of the weekend. But he's the owner of a professional basketball team, so apparently the man can say whatever the **** he wants with no repercussions. It's sickening.

no, your attitude towards this whole thing is ignorant. you are letting your personal emotions dictate your opinion on whether or not he should be allowed to operate the clippers.

if there is a federal law that he's broken that clearly states he is not allowed to own/run a corporation in the US because of his sentiments towards a group of people, then he would be arrested and jailed.
the fact that he's still a free man tells me you're wrong.

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 12:44 PM
uhhh, nope, it's not.
only if a person is denied employment, compensation, promotion, etc. because of race, then a CIVIL suit could be brought against the employer. not criminal.
axe me how I know.

Um. The EEOC would beg to differ:

"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was the first federal law designed to protect most U.S. employees from employment discrimination based upon that employee's (or applicant's) race, color, religion, sex, or national origin."

This is the law. If you discriminate against employees, then you are breaking the law.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 12:44 PM
i've already addressed this.
as you said, what employee of his has he discriminated against because of racism? his gf is an employee? is there another incident that I'm not aware of?

Being a racist isn't against the law. Being a racist in the workplace IS against the law. Discriminating in business on the basis of race is against the law.

And harming the public image of the NBA is 100% against the NBA franchise contract agreement.

For many companies, getting busted for something like this is enough to have your franchise revoked. Try doing that as a McDonald's or Herz owner. The company would yank your franchise so fast your head would spin.

The real question is what is the NBA going to do about it? All the previous stuff against Sterling was allegations tied up in lawsuits. This is different... this is a "smoking gun" tape that pretty much removes any doubt as to what's going through Sterling's mind.

His GF may be a gold-digger, or she might be so in love that she's blind (I lean towards the former), but it doesn't change the fact that a multi-billion dollar industry that is predominantly functional due to minority athletes and has a substantial minority fan base can NOT ignore something like this.

And if you're a minority player or coach and didn't do your homework on Sterling, or wasn't completely sure (rich guys get sued all the time on bogus allegations), it puts you in a very awkward position where you have to make a decision of how much your personal morality and integrity means to you.

I don't envy Paul, Griffin, DJ and co. It's a lot to deal with for guys in their 20's and early 30's when the whole world will be watching your next move under a microscope.

Aust
04-26-2014, 12:45 PM
I root for most California teams, but there are a few exceptions. The Clippers are one of those exceptions. I will never root for that organization in any way while that person is their owner.

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 12:46 PM
If your employer is telling you what to think or say during the time that you're not on the clock then you should tell him to **** off. The guy was recorded in a private conversation with his girlfriend and you want the PC Police to to enact "consequences."
I'm a journalist. I'm constantly out in the communities that I cover and am known by public officials and community leaders. If my fiancee took a photo with a black leader who was respected in that community and a tape got out into my coverage area that everyone heard of me discriminating against black people and clearly insulting that leader, you know what would happen to me? I would be fired. No stern discussion. No "but what about free speech" argument. Fired on the spot the second I came into work that day.

What do you think the ethereal "they" should do to him? Give him a stern talking to?
The league has to do something about this. I don't think they can necessarily force him to sell the team, but they at the very least need to fine Sterling an obscene amount and ask him to publicly apologize to Magic and for the racist comments toward all minorities.

But if you're the NBA, you really don't want to make a bigger deal out of this than it already is. You've got the playoffs going on, and you want people to pay attention to all the good things happening in your league, not a public relations nightmare like this. However, I think behind the scenes, they need to be pressuring him to sell the team. I'm not sure what power they have in that regard, but the man has said too many things and he's become too much of a liability to be an NBA owner at this point.

Ownership of an NBA team is a privilege, not a right. And the NBA needs to remind Donald Sterling of that in a very big way.

hugepatsfan
04-26-2014, 12:46 PM
So, if your employer tells you off the clock that "you're not as good as my white employees, and will never advance in this company" it's ok because he/I am not on the clock?

This goes way beyond being PC. This is a stain on the NBA, because this man basically just said that Magic Johnson is not a suitable rep for the NBA. Magic Johnson and he is one of the NBA's most loved figures. This also relates to Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Julius Irving. The list goes on....

The statement you used is absolutely a problem but you're missing the point flea is trying to make. The reason why your statement is illegal is because of the never advance part. As far as actually being racist, there is nothing legally wrong with it. Morally, I think it's a deplorable opinion and I feel more than justified calling that the "good" or "right" side of the argument, but you can't govern the individual thoughts of people. If someone chooses to be racist than there is absolutely no grounds for that person to suffer any penalty or consequence. Consumers can choose to boycott him but that's on a personal level, not professional. Where racism becomes illegal and something someone can be formally punished for is in the scenario you described where you don't hire minorities or refuse to let them advance or treat them differently as a result of their race.

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 12:47 PM

"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was the first federal law designed to protect most U.S. employees from employment discrimination based upon that employee's (or applicant's) race, color, religion, sex, or national origin."

This is the law. If you discriminate against employees, then you are breaking the law.

that's exactly what I said?
you can say "I don't like x group of people" all you want in the workplace. it may get you fired, but won't land you in prison.
If you say "I'm not promoting Tim because he is of x race", then that is illegal".

'naw what i'm sayin dawg?

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 12:47 PM
as you said, what employee of his has he discriminated against because of racism? his gf is an employee? is there another incident that I'm not aware of?

Maybe that is something Silver needs to investigate.

Method28
04-26-2014, 12:50 PM
As others have stated, this comes as no surprise and imo is not nearly as bad as other idiotic comments he has made in the past.

That doesn't mean this should be let go however.

Unfortunately there's really nothing anybody can do. Clippers can't protest and expect anything to occur from it. It's just the way he is. It'll be such a shame if this hurts the teams focus as I feel this is the first time the Clips actually have a legit shot at the title.

grandsalami
04-26-2014, 12:51 PM
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 3m
RT @NBAPR: Bass: "We are in the process of conducting a full investigation into the audio recording obtained by TMZ. (More)

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 2m
RT @NBAPR: More Bass: "The remarks heard on the recording are disturbing and offensive, but at this time we have no further information."

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 12:53 PM

uhhh, nope, it's not.
axe me how I know.

that's exactly what I said?
you can say "I don't like x group of people" all you want in the workplace. it may get you fired, but won't land you in prison.
If you say "I'm not promoting Tim because he is of x race", then that is illegal".

'naw what i'm sayin dawg?

Further evidence of your confusion. Not stoping at a stop sign wont land you in prison, but it is still against the law.

...and No. I don't "'naw what you sayin'"

hugepatsfan
04-26-2014, 12:53 PM
When discussing racism and issues like this there are 2 different perspectives to analyze it from... morality and legality/constitutionality. I think anyone who wants to respond to others in this thread should read carefully the post they're responding to and look at which perspective it's speaking from. It makes for better, more productive discussion IMO.

Rush
04-26-2014, 12:54 PM

Because it's ****ing wrong. Discriminating against a group of people is just wrong. I don't understand how you have no problem with it. Being racist leads to bigger things like the South in the 50s/60s. Standing up to them and criticizing them curbs their behavior, what they can do and eventually new generational people see how its wrong and the numbers start to decline. If we just let them be, the South would still be the same as it was fifty years ago. That's why it affects us. Nobody should be treated that that way.

torocan
04-26-2014, 12:55 PM

This time around, no. Previously, MANY.

You could start with THIS ...

Cultivating his image, Davenport said, meant no blacks, no Mexican-Americans, no children (whom Sterling called "brats") and no government-housing-subsidy recipients as tenants. So according to the testimony of tenants, Sterling employees made life difficult for residents in some of his new buildings. They refused rent checks, then accused renters of nonpayment. They refused to do repairs for black tenants and harassed them with surprise inspections, threatening residents with eviction for alleged violations of building rules.

http://deadspin.com/5263277/the-sordid-life-of-clippers-owner-donald-sterling

Or this...

In court documents obtained by the Los Angeles Times, former Clippers executive Elgin Baylor offered several instances of what he called team owner Donald Sterling’s “plantation mentality” and alleged that Sterling once rejected a coaching candidate because of race.” Oh, that zany Donald Sterling…

According to Baylor, the following happened following a interview with head coaching candidate Jim Brewer.

“And when he finished, Donald said something that was very shocking to me. He said, ‘Personally, I would like to have a white Southern coach coaching poor black players. And I was shocked. And he looked at me and said, ‘Do you think that’s a racist statement?’ I said, ‘Absolutely. That’s plantation mentality.”

During the contract negotiations with #1 pick Danny Manning.

Said Baylor, in the deposition: “Donald T. said, ‘Well that’s a lot of money for a poor black … ‘ – I think he said kid. For a poor black kid I think. For a poor black something, kid or boy or something. Poor black. Poor black.

“Danny was upset. So Danny just stormed out. He just stormed out of the place. Where he went, I don’t know. He never came back to the house.”

http://thebiglead.com/2010/11/10/donald-sterlings-plantation-mentality/

You could just google the guy too... but it might make you want to take a shower.

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 12:56 PM
no, your attitude towards this whole thing is ignorant. you are letting your personal emotions dictate your opinion on whether or not he should be allowed to operate the clippers.

if there is a federal law that he's broken that clearly states he is not allowed to own/run a corporation in the US because of his sentiments towards a group of people, then he would be arrested and jailed.
the fact that he's still a free man tells me you're wrong.
No sir. You're looking at this as a clearly black and white situation (like most of the general NBA forum usually does), while forgetting there's a grey area. The man is not infallible. He may have not broken any law, but there is still a civil code in society that he has crossed more times than any man with his money and privilege should ever be able to cross. If he were an elected official, he would have stepped down. If he were a regular employee, he would have been fired.

But he's an NBA owner, so he gets away with it. But shouldn't there be a line he can't cross anymore? Would it be okay if he dressed in black face and sang old slave songs during a halftime show? Or what about if he just stopped referring to his players' names altogether and just started dropping N bombs during games and interviews to refer all black athletes? None of that is illegal, but it most certainly crosses the line of human decency.

Sterling has crossed that line time and time again, and some point there has to be repercussions for it. If you don't think there should be, then I seriously question your morals as a human being and your judgment of character.

Red_Pill
04-26-2014, 12:57 PM
Wow! Are you so racist that you really need me to explain to you why racism is dumb? The saddest part about what you just said is that you probably have children which you obviously are not fit to parent.

I'm MIXED. Half BLACK. If this doesn't offend me, why should it offend people who aren't even black? He's racist. Who cares? People will think what they want to think. As long as he isn't doing anything illegal, why should he be punished for an OPINION?

Crackadalic
04-26-2014, 12:59 PM
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 3m
RT @NBAPR: Bass: "We are in the process of conducting a full investigation into the audio recording obtained by TMZ. (More)

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 2m
RT @NBAPR: More Bass: "The remarks heard on the recording are disturbing and offensive, but at this time we have no further information."

The nba is trying to be as cleanly as possible about all this with the playoffs going on but they cant just let this be brush under the rug because basketball has become a global sport and this can really hurt the image of the nba if nothing is done

Pistol_Pete
04-26-2014, 01:01 PM
The guy has got to to. That's into. People knew, or let's say for argument's sake, "suspected" he racist. Now he says something like this on tape? There's no walking away from that. He's racist. Sure, you can argue all day that he's allowed to believe what he wants and say what he wants, but he's representing the NBA as an owner. And because of that, there's likely some sort of clause that can get him out of there. He's got to go. The downside of if he gets "punished" by having to sell the team, he'll end up making hundreds of millions of dollars.

Rush
it's really not. if you feel it is, it's only because he's a white person in a position of power saying something about black people, and we live in a PC era.
think the black players feel all rosy about white folk?

Of course it's stupid. Still having a racist mindset is idiotic and shows how ignorant a person is. Sure, they're allowed to say what they want, but they're an ******* for believing it.

Red_Pill
He's dating a half black/latina women apparently. This isn't about a personal preference for people who look like him. I agree with you on that point. It's not racist for color/race to play a role in physical attraction. This is just about Sterling thinking that African Americans are unprofessional and shouldn't be seen in public as a result. It's disgusting. I don't think it's just insulting to African Americans, it's insulting to human beings in general. I'm white but racism of any kind still legitimately offends me because we are all human beings first.

I'm half-black, and racism doesn't bother me. I tend to think it just makes the other person look foolish, and to me, that's enough. There's no reason to get mad over it.

hugepatsfan
04-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Further evidence of your confusion. Not stoping at a stop sign wont land you in prison, but it is still against the law.

It is illegal to deny others equal opportunities/rights on the basis of race. It is not illegal, however, to be a racist. That's the point he's trying to make.

So to apply that to this situation, we can all talk about what an awful person Sterling is and how he's an ignorant *** but that doesn't provide any grounds for the team to be taken away or any of the other stuff people are suggesting. In order for him to face any consequences for his racism, it needs to be proven beyond all reasonable doubt that he denied opportunity or rights to someone because of their race. That can be tricky because how can you prove that he did so for that specific reason. He could argue that they were just less qualified or that they didn't interview as well.

Proving that someone is a racist (the moral side of the argument) is a lot easier than proving they denied opportunity or rights to people on the basis of race (the legal side).

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 01:02 PM

so point out what player was denied advancement as a direct result of the latest comments of his.

Red_Pill
04-26-2014, 01:06 PM
You, sir, have written some of the most disgusting and disturbing comments I have ever read on this board.

Why would an African American employee want to work for a racist boss? No, this is not only about money. Decency and self respect are also involved.

Well, seeing as how I actually am partly black and this doesn't offend me in the slightest, I find it amusing watching a bunch of non-blacks go crazy about this. If what I write disturbs you, so be it. I'm not here to appease you.

With that said, if I had a boss (work for myself), and he were racist, I wouldn't care as long as he keeps signing the checks and treats me the same as every other employee.

Rush
04-26-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm MIXED. Half BLACK. If this doesn't offend me, why should it offend people who aren't even black? He's racist. Who cares? People will think what they want to think. As long as he isn't doing anything illegal, why should he be punished for an OPINION?

I just don't understand how it's no big deal if someone is racist. This type of behavior leads to them denying groups rights. Of course now they're not allowed to, but if we didn't care and just let them be, you would be discriminated against because you're half black. You would forced to use different bathrooms, tables, sit at the back of the bus if nobody cared and didn't say anything.

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 01:11 PM
It is illegal to deny others equal opportunities/rights on the basis of race. It is not illegal, however, to be a racist. That's the point he's trying to make.

So to apply that to this situation, we can all talk about what an awful person Sterling is and how he's an ignorant *** but that doesn't provide any grounds for the team to be taken away or any of the other stuff people are suggesting. In order for him to face any consequences for his racism, it needs to be proven beyond all reasonable doubt that he denied opportunity or rights to someone because of their race. That can be tricky because how can you prove that he did so for that specific reason. He could argue that they were just less qualified or that they didn't interview as well.

Proving that someone is a racist (the moral side of the argument) is a lot easier than proving they denied opportunity or rights to people on the basis of race (the legal side).

...and you have completely wasted a post because you either missed the point or didn't read closely.

Racism at work means that you have ACTIVELY practiced discrimination based on race and have therefore broken the law, or fostered an environment that fosters racist ideology and therefore broken the law. I don't know what correspondence you have been reading, but mine explicitly involves racism at work.

As for the rest of your post, that is for Silver to discover, since I am sure that there will be an investigation.

hugepatsfan
04-26-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm half-black, and racism doesn't bother me. I tend to think it just makes the other person look foolish, and to me, that's enough. There's no reason to get mad over it.

I respect where you're coming from on that. I agree with you in large part too. I don't like when minorities take one racist person's actions and project them across an entire race and treat that group of people with skepticism. I mentioned earlier that we should treat racism as the decision of an individual, not an entire race. It encourages "reactionary" racism from minorities on the majority when you do the latter. I understand that it's easy for me to preach that position as a member of the majority but I truly believe it's best for society. It seems you are able to maintain that perspective even as a minority so I greatly respect that and as a white man I appreciate that you don't look at Sterling's comments as an indictment of my character.

The reason why I feel it's important to still call people out like Sterling and hold them accountable is for the purpose of educating the younger generation. Racism is a learned behavior so I think it's important to emphasize to the youth that it's a negative thing. In order to teach that something is bad, you have to let people know that it's bad.

Crackadalic
04-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Well, seeing as how I actually am partly black and this doesn't offend me in the slightest, I find it amusing watching a bunch of non-blacks go crazy about this. If what I write disturbs you, so be it. I'm not here to appease you.

With that said, if I had a boss (work for myself), and he were racist, I wouldn't care as long as he keeps signing the checks and treats me the same as every other employee.

I'm half black too so what does that mean? Just because it's not a big deal to you doesn't mean it's not a big deal period

I like getting my checks just like everyone else. Doesn't mean im going to allow somehow to degrade me and thinking their better then me base on race.

And also it's not just a the racist comment towards blacks. It's the fact it's raciest period and for a brand that is global in different countries this is a big deal

I'm not going to act like some big advocate on the issue. Maybe because myself dealt with it especially growing up where I came from but to some it's a big deal and just brings up old wounds from people

Red_Pill
04-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Because it's ****ing wrong. Discriminating against a group of people is just wrong. I don't understand how you have no problem with it. Being racist leads to bigger things like the South in the 50s/60s. Standing up to them and criticizing them curbs their behavior, what they can do and eventually new generational people see how its wrong and the numbers start to decline. If we just let them be, the South would still be the same as it was fifty years ago. That's why it affects us. Nobody should be treated that that way.

Standing up and criticizing people over their opinions doesn't change the opinion. It just makes them more quiet about it. Racism has always and will always exist, no matter if people like you try to censor what someone can say.

Exactly who was treated poorly in this instance? He was having (what he thought) a private conversation with his girlfriend. You cannot tell people how to think. "Stopping racism" is a pipe dream. People will believe what they want to believe. Whether out loud or to themselves.

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 01:17 PM

1. I am black.

2. I have worked for a racist boss, as one of the few black bartenders in one of the most racist counties in Georgia. Wouldn't do it again for a million bucks. After a while I figured there were more important things than money, like self respect.

hugepatsfan
04-26-2014, 01:20 PM
...and you have completely wasted a post because you either missed the point or didn't read closely.

Racism at work means that you have ACTIVELY practiced discrimination based on race and have therefore broken the law, or fostered an environment that fosters racist ideology and therefore broken the law. I don't know what correspondence you have been reading, but mine explicitly involves racism at work.

As for the rest of your post, that is for Silver to discover, since I am sure that there will be an investigation.

There's no need to be confrontational. "Racism at work" is a general term. I wasn't aware of the specific definition you attached to it. It doesn't appear that blahblahyoutoo was either based on how he was responding. Based on what I now know you mean by "racism at work" you guys are arguing despite having the same stance. It's just getting lost in translation.

Rush
04-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Standing up and criticizing people over their opinions doesn't change the opinion. It just makes them more quiet about it. Racism has always and will always exist, no matter if people like you try to censor what someone can say.

Exactly who was treated poorly in this instance? He was having (what he thought) a private conversation with his girlfriend. You cannot tell people how to think. "Stopping racism" is a pipe dream. People will believe what they want to believe. Whether out loud or to themselves.

And making them more quiet about it is a win. They're not as vocal, they won't have as much support, and if they do speak about it, they are going to be heavily criticized, making harder for them to gain support.

My point is if you do nothing about it, it will never change. If you let them go on about their life and not say anything, nobody will think it's wrong. If nothing is done then these beliefs then lead to discriminating actions, hence the South. The more people talk about something like this and show how ignorant and stupid that thinking is, it's less likely that people in the future will have that same mindset. As evident as how we think today regarding racism.

Of course racism will always exist, but it's not as prominent as it was fifty years ago is it? Because people stood up for what was wrong.

Red_Pill
04-26-2014, 01:23 PM
I just don't understand how it's no big deal if someone is racist. This type of behavior leads to them denying groups rights. Of course now they're not allowed to, but if we didn't care and just let them be, you would be discriminated against because you're half black. You would forced to use different bathrooms, tables, sit at the back of the bus if nobody cared and didn't say anything.

I already am discriminated against at times because I'm not fully white. It's just a part of life I've learned to deal with.

How will Donald Sterling telling his girlfriend not to be seen in public with black people lead to me being denied rights?

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 01:28 PM
I already am discriminated against at times because I'm not fully white. It's just a part of life I've learned to deal with.

How will Donald Sterling telling his girlfriend not to be seen in public with black people lead to me being denied rights?

That is for Silver to discover. If this is how he truly feels, then the inner workings of the Clips must be investigated, and that goes beyond the players. An investigation is warranted.

Rush
04-26-2014, 01:29 PM

And by standing there and just dealing with it, you're just enabling them.

And by him saying that to his girlfriend obviously doesn't deny you anything, but you don't understand my point. See three posts above.

Clippersfan86
I find the timing incredibly suspicious. Won't be surprised if this tape is from years ago. DeAndre Jordan reacting on Instagram isn't good.

Red_Pill
I respect where you're coming from on that. I agree with you in large part too. I don't like when minorities take one racist person's actions and project them across an entire race and treat that group of people with skepticism. I mentioned earlier that we should treat racism as the decision of an individual, not an entire race. It encourages "reactionary" racism from minorities on the majority when you do the latter. I understand that it's easy for me to preach that position as a member of the majority but I truly believe it's best for society. It seems you are able to maintain that perspective even as a minority so I greatly respect that and as a white man I appreciate that you don't look at Sterling's comments as an indictment of my character.

The reason why I feel it's important to still call people out like Sterling and hold them accountable is for the purpose of educating the younger generation. Racism is a learned behavior so I think it's important to emphasize to the youth that it's a negative thing. In order to teach that something is bad, you have to let people know that it's bad.

Agree with your first paragraph completely. Judging an entire race of an individuals actions is indeed foolish.

With your second paragraph, I'm 50-50 on it. While it's good to teach children to judge an individual on their actions as opposed to their race or gender, it's also a bad thing to teach a child that it's okay to try to censor another's opinion, no matter how misguided it might be. It's a fine line.

Red_Pill
04-26-2014, 01:33 PM
And by standing there and just dealing with it, you're just enabling them.

Donald Sterling is an old man who made up his mind about blacks a long time ago. It's a silly opinion to have, but he's entitled to it. I assume you're a young person. You need to learn that you cannot change people who are like this no matter what you do. As long as he's paying his employees and not doing anything illegal, he is allowed to say as he pleases. His customers are also free to do as they please, and if that means not paying for Clipper tickets or merchandise, then that will be his punishment.

torocan
04-26-2014, 01:35 PM
I find the timing incredibly suspicious. Won't be surprised if this tape is from years ago. DeAndre Jordan reacting on Instagram isn't good.

She hasn't been his GF for years, she's in her early 20's. At MOST it won't be more than a year or two old.

And the tape is in regard to her posting a photo on Instagram with Magic Johnson, so it's doubtful that it's very old depending on when the photo was posted.

AddiX
04-26-2014, 01:35 PM
I would never work for a person like this, or allow them to say something like this to anyone, and I'm not black.

A lot of my friends growing up were scumbags and troublemakers, but one thing I always respected about all of them, is that racist crap didn't fly around any of us. My group of friends was pretty big and was pretty diverse.

No one should accept these kinds of actions or words.

grandsalami
04-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson now
TMZ reported this morning that Clippers owner Donald Sterling doesn't want me or other African-Americans to come to Clippers games

.@cjbycookie and I will never go to a Clippers game again as long as Donald Sterling is the owner.

I feel sorry for my friends Coach Doc Rivers and Chris Paul that they have to work for a man that feels that way about African Americans.

Rush
04-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Donald Sterling is an old man who made up his mind about blacks a long time ago. It's a silly opinion to have, but he's entitled to it. I assume you're a young person. You need to learn that you cannot change people who are like this no matter what you do. As long as he's paying his employees and not doing anything illegal, he is allowed to say as he pleases. His customers are also free to do as they please, and if that means not paying for Clipper tickets or merchandise, then that will be his punishment.

You're not understanding my point.

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 01:40 PM
And I assume because you're infallible, that's why you get to unilaterally determine whether he should own an NBA team. what are you credentials again?

his thoughts and feelings regarding particular groups are his prerogative. what he said and did was in private and affected no one except for him and gf, on a professional level. he did not bar blacks from attending his games, did not ban blacks from playing on his team.

it's a scary time we live in when we're not allowed to have and express our own opinions, because some people get offended.

No sir. You're looking at this as a clearly black and white situation (like most of the general NBA forum usually does), while forgetting there's a grey area. The man is not infallible. He may have not broken any law, but there is still a civil code in society that he has crossed more times than any man with his money and privilege should ever be able to cross. If he were an elected official, he would have stepped down. If he were a regular employee, he would have been fired.

But he's an NBA owner, so he gets away with it. But shouldn't there be a line he can't cross anymore? Would it be okay if he dressed in black face and sang old slave songs during a halftime show? Or what about if he just stopped referring to his players' names altogether and just started dropping N bombs during games and interviews to refer all black athletes? None of that is illegal, but it most certainly crosses the line of human decency.

Sterling has crossed that line time and time again, and some point there has to be repercussions for it. If you don't think there should be, then I seriously question your morals as a human being and your judgment of character.

Knick4Knack
TMZ reported this morning that Clippers owner Donald Sterling doesn't want me or other African-Americans to come to Clippers games

.@cjbycookie and I will never go to a Clippers game again as long as Donald Sterling is the owner.

I feel sorry for my friends Coach Doc Rivers and Chris Paul that they have to work for a man that feels that way about African Americans.

Wow. Powerful stuff. Well said, Magic.

Tragedy
File this under reason 9,765 as to why the NBA is an absolute farce and why I would never sit down and willingly watch a game from this "sport".

abe_froman
04-26-2014, 01:41 PM
i hope this is the the impetus to finally strip him of the team

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Of course it's stupid. Still having a racist mindset is idiotic and shows how ignorant a person is. Sure, they're allowed to say what they want, but they're an ******* for believing it.

ok, that's his business. why let it bother you?

Rush
04-26-2014, 01:44 PM
ok, that's his business. why let it bother you?

Because it's wrong and I don't like people who have that mindset.

Tony_Starks
04-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Countdown to Sterling releasing a statement about his words being taken out of context.....some of his best friends are black people.....and talk about the numerous black organizations he's given money to.

Book it!

chipurmunki
04-26-2014, 01:46 PM
so he's racist... well LA-DEE-FREAKIN-DA. nobody on here will ever meet him, and it's not like all this bit*hing will change him. the amount of media coverage is abhorrent, everyone's acting like he should be sued or thrown in prison. since when is a 'racist' conversation illegal? it isn't. move on, people.

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Because it's wrong and I don't like people who have that mindset.

are you the thought/morality police?
i'm sure a lot of people have differing opinions than you and think you're wrong, not necessarily on this subject.

news flash to all of you. people are allowed to have their own opinions in this country and freedom to express it. yes, some people will get offended. deal with it.

SMH!
04-26-2014, 01:49 PM
File this under reason 9,765 as to why the NBA is an absolute farce and why I would never sit down and willingly watch a game from this "sport".

ok

flea
04-26-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm a journalist. I'm constantly out in the communities that I cover and am known by public officials and community leaders. If my fiancee took a photo with a black leader who was respected in that community and a tape got out into my coverage area that everyone heard of me discriminating against black people and clearly insulting that leader, you know what would happen to me? I would be fired. No stern discussion. No "but what about free speech" argument. Fired on the spot the second I came into work that day.

The league has to do something about this. I don't think they can necessarily force him to sell the team, but they at the very least need to fine Sterling an obscene amount and ask him to publicly apologize to Magic and for the racist comments toward all minorities.

But if you're the NBA, you really don't want to make a bigger deal out of this than it already is. You've got the playoffs going on, and you want people to pay attention to all the good things happening in your league, not a public relations nightmare like this. However, I think behind the scenes, they need to be pressuring him to sell the team. I'm not sure what power they have in that regard, but the man has said too many things and he's become too much of a liability to be an NBA owner at this point.

Ownership of an NBA team is a privilege, not a right. And the NBA needs to remind Donald Sterling of that in a very big way.

What is this obsession with public apologies? Does anyone really give a rat's *** whether he apologizes or not? Because I don't. He's an old ***h*le that has spent his life screwing other people and profiting off of it, what good are his words?

And if you were fired for a conversation you had with your girlfriend, no matter how insidious, you'd have a nice wrongful termination lawsuit. Probably wouldn't have to work for years.

lamzoka
04-26-2014, 01:51 PM
At the end of the convo when the girl said "is there anything i can do to make u fell better?"
I was expecting Sterling to say Yea just give some head lol

The Clippers players held a team meeting last night regarding to Sterling comments, its gon be big distraction for them.
They should all request a trade as soon as the season is over

Lakers + Giants
04-26-2014, 01:53 PM
I hope the clippers implode. I hope It forces CP3 to leave, come to where you were meant to be! :p

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Once again, for all those claiming that anyone offended should move on, that is not gonna happen because it's not that simple.

Sterling has opened the door to a full scale investigation of the clippers, and rightfully so. Measures must be taken to ensure he is not practicing the racism he preaches. This goes well beyond the players on the court, it extends to any execs or customer service reps in his employ.

You really think a guy making these statements wants to see a black face in the executive washroom? Think about that for a moment.

The NBA is big business, and the consensus amongst ownership will be not to let Sterling jeopardize that. If they must feed this one old cook to the wolves, they will, because in their ultimate opinion the only color that matters is green.

Red_Pill
04-26-2014, 01:54 PM
You're not understanding my point.

I understand your point. I just don't think your point is applicable in this situation.

Red_Pill
04-26-2014, 01:57 PM

You work for someone. Donald Sterling does not. There's the difference.

torocan
04-26-2014, 01:57 PM
And I assume because you're infallible, that's why you get to unilaterally determine whether he should own an NBA team. what are you credentials again?

his thoughts and feelings regarding particular groups are his prerogative. what he said and did was in private and affected no one except for him and gf, on a professional level. he did not bar blacks from attending his games, did not ban blacks from playing on his team.

it's a scary time we live in when we're not allowed to have and express our own opinions, because some people get offended.

He's allowed to have his own opinions and thoughts. Fans are also entitled to have their money go to people that don't disgust them as human beings. The NBA is also entitled to decide what kind of individuals are allowed to represent their product On and Off the court.

You think the NBA would allow Sterling to buy a NBA team today? I don't.

Organizations are allowed to choose to tolerate or not tolerate individuals that do not represent their best interests in the public sphere. It's why your boss can fire you for stuff you post on Facebook and Instagram. It's why Teachers can be fired for posting nude pictures of themselves on the Internet. And why companies can fire you for personal rants about their companies on Twitter.

Yes, Donald Sterling is entitled to whatever he believes. Society and the rest of humanity is entitled to respond to those beliefs in the ways we feel is appropriate.

As for me, if I found out James Dolan (I'm a Knicks fan) said something like this, I'd never buy another jersey, another cap, another seat or even a key chain as long as he was earning a dime. If me and my friends aren't welcome, than we can find other ways to spend our time and money.

grandsalami
04-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Timothy Burke ‏@bubbaprog 7m
ESPN went from ignoring story to reporting "Donald Sterling has the mentality of an antebellum slave master" in a matter of five minutes

Timothy Burke ‏@bubbaprog now
That wasn't a paraphrase. "Donald Sterling has the mentality of an antebellum slave master" is directly quoting Broussard.

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 02:01 PM
i agree with this.
if you don't like the guy, don't buy his product. that means not attending games and buying clipper gear.
he'll feel it in his pocketbook eventually.
but that's very different from saying "He shouldn't be allowed to own an NBA team because his opinion differs from mine!" as has been echoed by many here.

He's allowed to have his own opinions and thoughts. Fans are also entitled to have their money go to people that don't disgust them as human beings. The NBA is also entitled to decide what kind of individuals are allowed to represent their product On and Off the court.

You think the NBA would allow Sterling to buy a NBA team today? I don't.

Organizations are allowed to choose to tolerate or not tolerate individuals that do not represent their best interests in the public sphere. It's why your boss can fire you for stuff you post on Facebook and Instagram. It's why Teachers can be fired for posting nude pictures of themselves on the Internet. And why companies can fire you for personal rants about their companies on Twitter.

Yes, Donald Sterling is entitled to whatever he believes. Society and the rest of humanity is entitled to respond to those beliefs in the ways we feel is appropriate.

As for me, if I found out James Dolan (I'm a Knicks fan) said something like this, I'd never buy another jersey, another cap, another seat or even a key chain as long as he was earning a dime. If me and my friends aren't welcome, than we can find other ways to spend our time and money.

FOBolous
04-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Racism never went away. It just hides behind closed doors now.

bucketss
04-26-2014, 02:02 PM
this really upsets me, im actually pretty furious right now

Rush
04-26-2014, 02:03 PM
are you the thought/morality police?
i'm sure a lot of people have differing opinions than you and think you're wrong, not necessarily on this subject.

news flash to all of you. people are allowed to have their own opinions in this country and freedom to express it. yes, some people will get offended. deal with it.

No, I'm not the thought/morality police. But if someone says something hurtful towards someone or a group, I won't like it and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one. And that person is wrong.

And I'm allowed to criticize him because of his ignorant and outdated opinion. Deal with it.

He's allowed to say what he wants, but do you believe he's wrong for his beliefs?

AddiX
04-26-2014, 02:04 PM
The commentators on ESPN looked like they didn't even want to report the story, and at the end if he segment, ESPN finally snuck in the TMZ report.

The way ESPN covers a white billionaire compared to an athlete is so ridiculous.

Even the Irsay mess was swept under the rug by them. Imagine a black athlete getting caught with a duffle bag of $, a bunch of drugs, and drunk nd high while driving, this coming a few weeks after his mistress or whatever was found dead in a house he owned?

richiesaurus310
04-26-2014, 02:08 PM
This could be the best thing to happen to the Clippers. Now Sterling may be forced to sell.

Tragedy
04-26-2014, 02:08 PM
so he's racist... well LA-DEE-FREAKIN-DA. nobody on here will ever meet him, and it's not like all this bit*hing will change him. the amount of media coverage is abhorrent, everyone's acting like he should be sued or thrown in prison. since when is a 'racist' conversation illegal? it isn't. move on, people.
:laugh:

Yes, an owner in a predominately black sport making comments about black people and an all time NBA player, and we should say "pff, no big deal! He's racist so what!"

Yes, good logic. It's a shame all those in Alabama in the 50s and 60s didn't just shut up equality. Why would they want to shut those that were racist up?!

The fact is: this guy is an ******* and he should be made to look like one. He shouldn't be thrown in jail because there's no grounds for that, but I have no issues if anyone wanted to boycott his team, his games, or him being removed as owner (not sure how those rules work in the NBA).

But yes, let's all move on..

blahblahyoutoo
04-26-2014, 02:10 PM
No, I'm not the thought/morality police. But if someone says something hurtful towards someone or a group, I won't like it and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one. And that person is wrong.

And I'm allowed to criticize him because of his ignorant and outdated opinion. Deal with it.

He's allowed to say what he wants, but do you believe he's wrong for his beliefs?

of course you are. but here is the difference.

your stance: people are not allowed to be racist.
my stance: people can think/say whatever the F they want (which includes you disagreeing with him).

you are dictating how he should live his life (at least your beliefs are), hence infringing upon his freedoms.

i don't agree with his sentiments, but I believe he is entitled to his opinions and express them if he feels that way.

P&GRealist
04-26-2014, 02:11 PM
He's gonna end up having to sell the team. When you bring Magic Johnson, one of the most respected sports figures in this entire world, into the discussion, you're gonna get Faaaaaacked!

BigCityofDreams

He can make comments just so that he knows he will be taken to task for it. Ronan Tynan used to work for the Yankees. He made anti semetic remarks and lost his job as a result.

Did you not read what the poster mentioned a while back about how tenants were treated. This is not just him saying some things on a tape. His thoughts are not isolated.

Clippersfan86
Hope Donald steps down to prevent the team blowing up. I'd be so heartbroken if this splinters our best team ever. I've stood by this team for 15 years

P&GRealist
04-26-2014, 02:12 PM

your stance: he's not allowed to be racist.
my stance: he can think/say whatever the F he likes (which includes you btw).

you are dictating how he should live his life, hence infringing upon his freedoms (if enough people gather together to make this a law).

When you bring Magic Johnson into all this, that's a big NO NO.

FOBolous
04-26-2014, 02:17 PM
I hope clippers crash and burn, All the black players including the coaches should just go out and play but really don't make that great of an effort force him to sell the team. this is 2014 no time for ignorance. Aint watching no more clippers games fans should not support.

I mean...putting things to perspective, CP3 and Blake Griffin shouldn't sacrifice their careers over this. This is something they worked their whole lives for. But I think the LAC are going to have a REAL hard time retaining their stars and attracting FAs. I see newly drafted rookies demanding trades too.

Lakers + Giants
04-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Hope Donald steps down to prevent the team blowing up. I'd be so heartbroken if this splinters our best team ever. I've stood by this team for 15 years

That would be a terrible way to break apart your best team ever. I mean when everything is going right, this **** happens? damn.

Clippersfan86
04-26-2014, 02:18 PM
I hope the league tries to force Sterling out, even if they bend the rules. Sure he's been a decent owner, basketball wise but still. How awesome would it be if Magic himself bought the team?

Rush
04-26-2014, 02:18 PM

my stance: people can think/say whatever the F they want (which includes you disagreeing with him).

you are dictating how he should live his life (at least your beliefs are), hence infringing upon his freedoms.

i don't agree with his sentiments, but I believe he is entitled to his opinions and express them if he feels that way.

I never said or believed while posting about this subject that he shouldn't be allowed to be racist. Though that'd be interesting to analyze. However, I just believe he's wrong and others should stand up to these people if they're faced with racism because their beliefs could lead to actions.

Clippersfan86
04-26-2014, 02:21 PM
That would be a terrible way to break apart your best team ever. I mean when everything is going right, this **** happens? damn.

Its depressing. Why the **** now Donald? As for the people saying fans should boycott, fu** you! So now when the players and coaches deserve our support the most, we should turn our backs on them?? For something they had no part in? ****** *** bandwagon fan mentality. Clippers fans support the players, not the owner. Nobody I know thinks well of Sterling.

goingfor28
04-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Its depressing. Why the **** now Donald? As for the people saying fans should boycott, fu** you! So now when the players and coaches deserve our support the most, we should turn our backs on them?? For something they had no part in? ****** *** bandwagon fan mentality. Clippers fans support the players, not the owner. Nobody I know thinks well of Sterling.

Couldn't have said it better myself

abe_froman
04-26-2014, 02:24 PM

how is anyone infringing on his freedoms? his freedoms arent to be able to say/do whatever he wants without criticism or backlash.he can say however he feels,just like we and everyone criticizing him are.his freedoms only extend to not going jail for whats he's saying,nothing more.

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Its depressing. Why the **** now Donald? As for the people saying fans should boycott, **** you! So now when the players and coaches deserve our support the most, we should turn our backs on them?? For something they had no part in? ****** *** bandwagon fan mentality. Clippers fans support the players, not the owner. Nobody I know thinks well of Sterling.

Players are going to get paid, regardless.

Boycotting this ******* might be the only way to force the league's hand and get him removed.

I'm sure that this is weighing heavily on the players minds right now. Some things are more important than championships, like racial equality.

Boycott this wad of human waste, if that what it takes.

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 02:39 PM
You work for someone. Donald Sterling does not. There's the difference.
I've made this point several times. It's the only reason he can get away with it. But he ultimately still has to answer to the league and to the fans. I'm not sure how much power it has, but I would imagine that the league could ultimately push him over time enough as to force him out of the league.

What is this obsession with public apologies? Does anyone really give a rat's *** whether he apologizes or not? Because I don't. He's an old ***h*le that has spent his life screwing other people and profiting off of it, what good are his words?
Not really. But showing a little humility and admitting your mistake is a good start.

And if you were fired for a conversation you had with your girlfriend, no matter how insidious, you'd have a nice wrongful termination lawsuit. Probably wouldn't have to work for years.
False. Most workplaces today have social media policies and behavior policies. If I did the thing I suggested in the previous post, I can assure you I would be fired for it.

Method28
04-26-2014, 02:41 PM

Players are going to get paid, regardless.

Boycotting this ******* might be the only way to force the leagues hand and get him removed.

I'm sure that this is weighing heavily on the players minds right now. Some things are more important than championships, like racial equality.

Boycott this wad of human waste, if that what it takes.

Then I guess they can boycott to start next season. These players shouldn't hurt themselves or the fans for the views and opinions of others

mrblisterdundee
04-26-2014, 02:42 PM
They're competitors, but Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan need to refuse to play until Donald Sterling is no longer the owner – if not in the playoffs, then go on strike next season. There are other wealthy, non-racist people who would buy that team.

Knick4Knack
04-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Then I guess they can boycott to start next season. These players shouldn't hurt themselves or the fans for the views and opinions of others

I don't have a perfect answer, but I do know that this has got to be a jolt to the players, and that it might affect their play.

flea
04-26-2014, 02:45 PM
I've made this point several times. It's the only reason he can get away with it. But he ultimately still has to answer to the league and to the fans. I'm not sure how much power it has, but I would imagine that the league could ultimately push him over time enough as to force him out of the league.

Not really. But showing a little humility and admitting your mistake is a good start.

False. Most workplaces today have social media policies and behavior policies. If I did the thing I suggested in the previous post, I can assure you I would be fired for it.

If it's your company's policy that conversations with your significant other are fireable offenses then you should know that **** won't hold up in court. It's so weird to me that people not only assume that employers can dictate their lives with contract law, but that people think this is a good or desirable thing.

TrueFan420
04-26-2014, 02:48 PM
I hope the league tries to force Sterling out, even if they bend the rules. Sure he's been a decent owner, basketball wise but still. How awesome would it be if Magic himself bought the team?

Um what the hell are you talking about? Up until recently the clippers have been one of the jokes of the league. They made multiple questionable moves and as a clippers fan (referring to you, not me) I'm completely shocked you'd refer to him as a decent owner basketball wise. Even with your recent success that doesn't wipe out his history as a very bad owner.

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry. Do you work for the league office? I didn't know you had the rights to determine whether someone should get to own a team or not, either. It's an Internet sports forum, bro. We all have opinions.

That's ********. When you decide you're going to get involved in professional sports, you should know that everything you do in your life is no longer private. That's what you sign up for. Whether you say or do something in private is irrelevant if you're being recorded or if somebody can find out about it. You're essentially sacrificing a huge piece of your privacy to get involved in the industry, and if you don't like it, don't play the sport, don't be a coach or don't buy an NBA team. Period. It's just that simple.

And when you do or say something that you shouldn't have, there will almost always be consequences for it. I assure you this won't be the last we hear from this story. Whether it's fans picketing, players commenting or the NBA dishing out a hefty fine, there will be consequences for this.

lol, please
04-26-2014, 02:51 PM
I find racism both disgusting and hilarious and a common trait among the ignorant, however in this case I hope this somehow distracts the team in a way that benefits the warriors. Reaching, I know

Method28
04-26-2014, 02:52 PM
What did DeAndre Jordan post about this on Instagram?

Was it that all black image or did he remove the picture. Don't have an instagram so idk how it looks when they take the images down

numba1CHANGsta
Sounds like the devil has taken over his soul. Poor guy, he better make good before he passes away or he will burn for all eternity.

mightybosstone
If it's your company's policy that conversations with your significant other are fireable offenses then you should know that **** won't hold up in court. It's so weird to me that people not only assume that employers can dictate their lives with contract law, but that people think this is a good or desirable thing.

A conversation is no longer private once it's hit social media. I've had to sign a social media policy for every single place I've worked since I graduated college. And, yes, I've seen people get fired for things that have been said on social media websites. And the company was totally justified in doing so.

Method28
04-26-2014, 02:54 PM
I find racism both disgusting and hilarious and a common trait among the ignorant, however in this case I hope this somehow distracts the team in a way that benefits the warriors. Reaching, I know

Reaching? I feel it's very likely to affect the Clippers. This is a big deal and distraction to them sadly. Such a shame.

Us Clippers fans were all waiting for that moment when Sterling was going to **** things up. And here it is.

Jarvo
04-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Good luck getting free agents this summer, I dislike The Clippers even more now.

flea
04-26-2014, 02:57 PM
A conversation is no longer private once it's hit social media. I've had to sign a social media policy for every single place I've worked since I graduated college. And, yes, I've seen people get fired for things that have been said on social media websites. And the company was totally justified in doing so.

Who is talking about social media? He had a conversation with his girlfriend. Someone illegally recorded his voice.

But that's an example of people like you thinking that it's okay to let employers gradually control more and more your life. It is almost always corporate employers that have strict terms for social media, and honestly it should be unacceptable. It's a form of government censorship, considered our nation is run by the major corporate conglomerates. We let them have drug testing, and now that the internet is a thing they're coming for our speech too. People like you are content to hand it over, because your sensibilities will be offended less often (that's the hope at least).

torocan
04-26-2014, 02:57 PM
The more I think about it the more I think the solution shouldn't just be on the Clippers players and staff. It should be on ALL the NBA players and staff.

I think the best solution would be for the Clippers AND the Warriors to not take the floor tonight. This would put a clear message in terms of where they stand and put the ball back in the NBA's court. That way neither team is penalized. And I doubt the NBA has the cojones to fine and suspend 2 entire play off teams over something like this.

Finish the play offs and compete by all means, but at least make a clear statement about how they feel about the situation, that an Owner like Sterling has no place in the NBA.

wizardsfan3
04-26-2014, 02:59 PM
What did DeAndre Jordan post about this on Instagram?

Was it that all black image or did he remove the picture. Don't have an instagram so idk how it looks when they take the images down

Yeah it was a blackout...a lot of people do it when they're standing against an issue

Method28
04-26-2014, 03:00 PM
The more I think about it the more I think the solution shouldn't just be on the Clippers players and staff. It should be on ALL the NBA players and staff.

I think the best solution would be for the Clippers AND the Warriors to not take the floor tonight. This would put a clear message in terms of where they stand and put the ball back in the NBA's court. That way neither team is penalized. And I doubt the NBA has the cojones to fine and suspend 2 entire play off teams over something like this.

Finish the play offs and compete by all means, but at least make a clear statement about how they feel about the situation, that an Owner like Sterling has no place in the NBA.

They have already announced they will not be taking the court tonight!

Clippersfan86
04-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Truefan Donald has been pretty good basketball wise for a decade now. Obviously I'm not talking about too far into the past. I know my history, don't need a Warriors fan trying to educate me.

Method28
04-26-2014, 03:01 PM

But honestly I think this would be a great idea, but highly unlikely. It would truly address the issue and show unity. However I doubt the Warriors would want to involve themselves in this mess.

NoahH
04-26-2014, 03:01 PM
1) NBA force Sterling to sell the Clippers
2) Hansen buys clippers
3) Hansen moves clippers to seattle
4) win-win since all the 'clippers' fans are actually lakers fans and wont really care & seattle gets a team again

Method28
04-26-2014, 03:04 PM
2) Hansen buys clippers
4) win-win since all the 'clippers' fans are actually lakers fans and wont really care & seattle gets a team again

Uhhhhhhh lakers fans are NOT clippers fans and vice versa

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Who is talking about social media? He had a conversation with his girlfriend. Someone illegally recorded his voice.
Who recorded the conversation? Was it the girlfriend? If so, there's nothing illegal about that as far as I'm concerned. I took media law and college and most of the time I've found it's legal to record a conversation. Unless it was illegal wiretap from somebody, I fail to see how the recording was "illegal."

But that's an example of people like you thinking that it's okay to let employers gradually control more and more your life. It is almost always corporate employers that have strict terms for social media, and honestly it should be unacceptable. It's a form of government censorship, considered our nation is run by the major corporate conglomerates. We let them have drug testing, and now that the internet is a thing they're coming for our speech too. People like you are content to hand it over, because your sensibilities will be offended less often (that's the hope at least).
Oh god.... Get over yourself. First off, the two companies I've worked for are not the big corporate monsters you're making them out to be. They are small media companies with less than 200 total employees. And they're the one's writing my paycheck, so they have the right to hire people who don't make complete idiots of themselves in public.

Also, I think it should have a lot to do with the type of industry you're in. As someone who works in media, I know I'm going to be under stricter social media laws than most. I get that. If I had a problem with it, I don't have to work in that industry. I have a lot of friends and family who are teachers who are also under a social media policy. You essentially have three options: don't work there, don't use social media or work there and use social media responsibly.

Donald Sterling has the same option. He doesn't have to own an NBA franchise if he doesn't want to be in the public spotlight for saying ignorant, racist ****. If he wants to be a racist douche, that's his prerogative. But he's never going to be able to get away with crap like this while he owns an NBA team. He either needs to quit being a racist ****, sell the team or be prepared to face consequences every single time a story like this leaks out.

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 03:08 PM
I honestly have no idea how anyone could defend Sterling after hearing that tape or why they would want to. I honestly think those who are defending him are doing so just to play devil's advocate for the argument's sake.

abe_froman
04-26-2014, 03:08 PM
2) Hansen buys clippers
the money to be made in la,especially now that they are winners and the lakers will be down for a few years, is exponentially greater than what moving to seattle would bring.

flea
04-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Who recorded the conversation? Was it the girlfriend? If so, there's nothing illegal about that as far as I'm concerned. I took media law and college and most of the time I've found it's legal to record a conversation. Unless it was illegal wiretap from somebody, I fail to see how the recording was "illegal."

Well, it doesn't matter what you think or were taught because that's not the law. (http://www.aapsonline.org/judicial/telephone.htm) Obviously there is a big corporate push to overturn this, since many social media companies will profit greatly if they're allowed publish this stuff, but until everyone in state legislatures begins to feel as you do, it's the law.

Oh god.... Get over yourself. First off, the two companies I've worked for are not the big corporate monsters you're making them out to be. They are small media companies with less than 200 total employees. And they're the one's writing my paycheck, so they have the right to hire people who don't make complete idiots of themselves in public.

Get over myself? This has nothing to do with me, I'm just trying to raise awareness about issues that concern my country. It wasn't always the case that employers had a defacto censorship regime - I'm just trying to let people know what's changing. I understand how you can see it as not a big deal, but at one point in time it was a big deal. In fact, people sort of fought a war over things like this that gave rise to our nation.

*Superman*
04-26-2014, 03:16 PM
So how do his players feel about this?

kdspurman
04-26-2014, 03:18 PM
A head coach/team got fined significantly for resting his players. I'm very curious to see how the league handles this situation. Granted that was when Stern was in charge, but still.

Hawkeye15
04-26-2014, 03:19 PM
I honestly have no idea how anyone could defend Sterling after hearing that tape or why they would want to. I honestly think those who are defending him are doing so just to play devil's advocate for the argument's sake.

yeah, I mean, if you want to be racist, fine, that is your deal. But when you hold a position of power, and can impact people's jobs and economic situation, you simply can't be involved in this type of behavior. You can't.

Sterling should be suspended and fined, and Silver needs to attempt to force him to sell the team, if he can.

KB24PG16
04-26-2014, 03:19 PM
the clippers will always be a joke with sterling in charge

WITZ
04-26-2014, 03:24 PM
GF "Do u know that im mixed?"
Sterling "You told me you were getting that removed"

****ing idiot :laugh:

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Well, it doesn't matter what you think or were taught because that's not the law. (http://www.aapsonline.org/judicial/telephone.htm) Obviously there is a big corporate push to overturn this, since many social media companies will profit greatly if they're allowed publish this stuff, but until everyone in state legislatures begins to feel as you do, it's the law.
Two things. First off, you're assuming it's a telephone conversation. Why? Listening to that recording, it certainly sounded like it was in person. If that's the case, the link you just posted was totally pointless. Secondly, the law is different for each state. In Texas (where I learned media law), as long as one party consents to the conversation, you can record it. That's the same in a lot of states. As long as one person in the conversation is okay with the recording, it's totally legal. Now that's not the case in California, but you're making the assumption that this is a phone conversation, and I don't think it is based on the tone and how the conversation took place.

Get over myself? This has nothing to do with me, I'm just trying to raise awareness about issues that concern my country. It wasn't always the case that employers had a defacto censorship regime - I'm just trying to let people know what's changing. I understand how you can see it as not a big deal, but at one point in time it was a big deal. In fact, people sort of fought a war over things like this that gave rise to our nation.
Oh jesus. Why don't you just wrap yourself in an American Flag, play the National Anthem, shoot a gun and eat a cheeseburger while you're at it. You're using the nation's freedom of speech as an excuse for someone who's in the public eye to be a complete and utter ****. Why? Are you going to defend his appeal when the NBA suspends him? Are you racist yourself?

Seriously, this is totally ridiculous and you're completely missing the point. It's not that Sterling said some racist comments or even that he's done it before and even been sued for different aspects of discrimination before by the U.S. Department of Justice and Elgin Baylor. It's that he's saying racist comments AND HE'S THE OWNER OF AN NBA BASKETBALL TEAM!!!!!! This is a sport watched by millions of people in which every major figure is constantly under the public's scrutiny. If you say racist ****, someone's going to hear about and it will get into the media. He is not special. If he wants to say racist things to his heart's content, I personally don't care. But he cannot do that while he owns an NBA basketball team and not have to pay the consequences for it.

I don't know how to say it any simpler than that. And if you can't understand it, perhaps you're as dense as Sterling is. :shrug:

Iggz53
04-26-2014, 03:27 PM

You do need to get over yourself. Excuse me if I don't want to hire a professional and have them posting pictures of themselves smoking a bong or making obscene gestures on Facebook that would ultimately embarrass my company or institution. I am not actually an employer so it's a hypothetical but the justification is clear as day. If you don't like their policy, go work somewhere else. Jesus.

AddiX
04-26-2014, 03:30 PM
yeah, I mean, if you want to be racist, fine, that is your deal. But when you hold a position of power, and can impact people's jobs and economic situation, you simply can't be involved in this type of behavior. You can't.

Sterling should be suspended and fined, and Silver needs to attempt to force him to sell the team, if he can.

The other owners will force him from the league. This will be a huge distraction until he's gone, and will financially hurt everyone.

He will sell asap. Guaranteed...

flea
04-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Two things. First off, you're assuming it's a telephone conversation. Why? Listening to that recording, it certainly sounded like it was in person. If that's the case, the link you just posted was totally pointless. Secondly, the law is different for each state. In Texas (where I learned media law), as long as one party consents to the conversation, you can record it. That's the same in a lot of states. As long as one person in the conversation is okay with the recording, it's totally legal. Now that's not the case in California, but you're making the assumption that this is a phone conversation, and I don't think it is based on the tone and how the conversation took place.

You didn't read the link carefully. Here is the appropriate statute on point:

(a) Every person who, intentionally and without the consent of
all parties to a confidential communication, by means of any
electronic amplifying or recording device, eavesdrops upon or records
the confidential communication, whether the communication is carried
on among the parties in the presence of one another or by means of a
telegraph, telephone, or other device, except a radio,
Source. (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/632.html)

Oh jesus. Why don't you just wrap yourself in an American Flag, play the National Anthem, shoot a gun and eat a cheeseburger while you're at it. You're using the nation's freedom of speech as an excuse for someone who's in the public eye to be a complete and utter ****. Why? Are you going to defend his appeal when the NBA suspends him? Are you racist yourself?

Seriously, this is totally ridiculous and you're completely missing the point. It's not that Sterling said some racist comments or even that he's done it before and even been sued for different aspects of discrimination before by the U.S. Department of Justice and Elgin Baylor. It's that he's saying racist comments AND HE'S THE OWNER OF AN NBA BASKETBALL TEAM!!!!!! This is a sport watched by millions of people in which every major figure is constantly under the public's scrutiny. If you say racist ****, someone's going to hear about and it will get into the media. He is not special. If he wants to say racist things to his heart's content, I personally don't care. But he cannot do that while he owns an NBA basketball team and not have to pay the consequences for it.

I don't know how to say it any simpler than that. And if you can't understand it, perhaps you're as dense as Sterling is. :shrug:

Yeah I'm racist because I care about free speech and I don't care about a single word that comes out of that cretin Sterling's mouth. Clearly you logic'd your way into winning this argument.

NoahH
04-26-2014, 03:31 PM
the money to be made in la,especially now that they are winners and the lakers will be down for a few years, is exponentially greater than what moving to seattle would bring.

Way to kill my hopes and dreams

BigCityofDreams
04-26-2014, 03:32 PM
GF "Do u know that im mixed?"
Sterling "You told me you were getting that removed"

****ing idiot :laugh:

yea that was weird to say the least.

Donald she's talking about being mixed not having large obscene sloppy breasts lol.

PowerHouse
04-26-2014, 03:33 PM
This comes in perfect timing to be a distraction to the Clippers hopes of a deep playoff run. smh.

Method28
04-26-2014, 03:35 PM

The other owners will force him from the league. This will be a huge distraction until he's gone, and will financially hurt everyone.

Wish you were right...and maybe I'm being pessimistic but I don't see this happening

cssdmark
04-26-2014, 03:36 PM
I am totally confused. You date a half black/Spanish girl, you do not mind if she is taking the pipe from black and Spanish men but you are a racist. This is the oddest thing I have ever heard. Is it because he did not want the cat (above) out the bag so he did not want her to flaunt it. This story is crazy

TurboDEEZsmoke
04-26-2014, 03:36 PM
I love how he's A-OK with his GF sleeping with black guys all day, "JUST DON'T BROADCAST A PICTURE WITH MAGIC JOHNSON ON THE INSTAGRAM!".

And he's' delusional enough to think the world sees her "as a fine latina or white girl", rather than the half latina/black that she is.

To say he's "set in his ways" is an understatement, he grew up as a privileged white male in a very racist time of our society, and his views are shared by millions of elderly whites (and frankly minorities towards whites) across America, but it does not make it any less sad and pathetic.

Jackpot!

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 03:40 PM
You didn't read the link carefully. Here is the appropriate statute on point:

Source. (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/632.html)
And? That's not the link you first posted. Also, I completely fail to see your point as to the legality of the recording, and you totally sidestepped my point that it's a state by state basis. Whether it's legal or not will not prevent the NBA from taking action. They can still fine or suspend Sterling if they feel justified in doing so for behavior the league deems unacceptable. Who gives a **** if the recording was legal or not? It's completely off point and you're just arguing semantics at this point because you have no legitimate argument to stand on anymore.

Yeah I'm racist because I care about free speech and I don't care about a single word that comes out of that cretin Sterling's mouth. Clearly you logic'd your way into winning this argument.
I never said you were racist. I'm just suggesting that it makes no sense for anyone to defend Sterling who does not have ulterior motives themselves. What he said was totally reprehensible, and the man is an owner in one of the most popular, media driven industries in the entire world. He deserves to be punished for this, and he will be.

Hawkeye15
04-26-2014, 03:43 PM

It will be interesting to see exactly how this is handled by the NBA. Silver, welcome to being the commish. First order of business is to do something unprecedented.

Sadds The Gr8
04-26-2014, 03:43 PM
Lol at the clowns defending Sterling. There's always one small group of idiots that want to "stand out" and be holier than thou in these types of situations

abe_froman
04-26-2014, 03:46 PM
I am totally confused. You date a half black/Spanish girl, you do not mind if she is taking the pipe from black and Spanish men but you are a racist. This is the oddest thing I have ever heard. Is it because he did not want the cat (above) out the bag so he did not want her to flaunt it. This story is crazy
most racists arent the "exterminate all"blah,blah,but more the racial superiority types(like he is).that allows him be ok with dating her,ect. ,because it plays into the jim crow/antebellum fantasy worldview he's created for himself.like how all those old slave masters would have sex with the slave girls,or the segregationists would usually have black/latina/ect. mistresses

Teeboy1487
04-26-2014, 03:51 PM
It will be interesting to see exactly how this is handled by the NBA. Silver, welcome to being the commish. First order of business is to do something unprecedented.

You said it bro.

MrfadeawayJB
04-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Is he more racist or prejudice? When I think of racists I think of kkk and such that actually harm and are violent towards a group of people. I think he's prejudice cause a racist would never have a mixed gf

spreadeagle
04-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Random thoughts, even tho this guy is a known racist this is still crazy to hear. The chick looks smokin cant believe she bangs that old wrinkly man. Even though hes way in the wrong, she seems to be playing it up a bit and im assuming she recorded and sold this to tmz, which is scummy as well.

flea
04-26-2014, 03:56 PM
And? That's not the link you first posted. Also, I completely fail to see your point as to the legality of the recording, and you totally sidestepped my point that it's a state by state basis. Whether it's legal or not will not prevent the NBA from taking action. They can still fine or suspend Sterling if they feel justified in doing so for behavior the league deems unacceptable. Who gives a **** if the recording was legal or not? It's completely off point and you're just arguing semantics at this point because you have no legitimate argument to stand on anymore.

You said you'd be fired from your job for the same thing, and I said you would have a nice fat wrongful termination suit for yourself. That it was illegally recorded is only further evidence for the hypothetical "you," and Sterling in this case.

Now, if we're talking about what's going to happen that's a different thing. Likely, Sterling will issue an apology through a publicist. Then the NBA will slap him with a token fine of some $50,000 or so, big enough so people think they did something but a drop in the bucket compared to the franchise and his wealth. He won't contest the fine because it would be bad publicity for his investment, he'll just be quiet and go away and people will go back to not caring what he says anymore because he's a terrible human being.

My point was that people only care what this ***h*le thinks now that he said something racist. Why? Let him be racist, it's best to just ignore **** like this. Forcing apologies and demanding fines may give you psychic catharsis but it means nothing. If the media really wanted to humiliate this man they would dredge up all his crooked business dealings over the last 40 years and completely destroy his name. But you know what? The media doesn't care as much about that because racial politics sells.

I never said you were racist. I'm just suggesting that it makes no sense for anyone to defend Sterling who does not have ulterior motives themselves. What he said was totally reprehensible, and the man is an owner in one of the most popular, media driven industries in the entire world. He deserves to be punished for this, and he will be.

Hopefully I made myself clear above. If I was confrontational it was not personal to you, just general irritation at the nature and course of stories like this.

Cracka2HI!
04-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Is he more racist or prejudice? When I think of racists I think of kkk and such that actually harm and are violent towards a group of people. I think he's prejudice cause a racist would never have a mixed gf

It's a fair question but kind of moot at this point. I've always known he was a piece of crap but him humiliating his players, coaches and fans like this is too much. He doesn't deserve to own a team anymore. I hope the league forces him to sell. This is not a whole lot different than what happened to Marge Shott only she was actually a decent person by some accounts and this kind of thinking is not tolerated nearly as much as it was in the 90's.

AddiX
04-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Wish you were right...and maybe I'm being pessimistic but I don't see this happening

Silvers main job is to protect the nbas interest, and keeping sterling around is not in there interest. He's gone...

For any organization this A Nightmare scenario, but for the NBA in particular, this is almost as bad as it gets.

Touchdownboy
Sterling to be punished? You have got to be kidding me.

He is entitled to his opinion when speaking in private. He'll probably be forced to apologize.

beyourself
What can you really do though? It's not like he can be punished for free speech by law. And in the end he owns the team. They're ridiculous comments, but the Clippers are his team. It's like you own you car it's yours. The entire damn team is his.

*Superman*
04-26-2014, 04:00 PM
I take it snoop dogg wasn't too happy.

http://instagram.com/p/nQn7sxv9Cr/

ghettosean
04-26-2014, 04:01 PM
This is some f***ed up sh**... I would find it hard to suit up if I'm the clips... I'm not saying i wouldn't but it would be damn hard. I'd be completely conflicted but if I'm exceedingly wealthy like CP3 and Blake even moderately wealthy i wouldn't suit up as taking a stand against that sh** until he steps down. I couldn't take money from someone with that mentality... i just couldn't do it. I'd violate the contract and tell him to go **** himself.

I respect the clips decision either way they have fans and all but i just couldn't do it. If i had to protect my family in someway yes but otherwise I'm telling him to go **** himself

Touchdownboy
04-26-2014, 04:02 PM
This is some f***ed up sh**... I would find it hard to suit up if I'm the clips... I'm not saying i wouldn't but it would be damn hard. I'd be completely conflicted but if I'm exceedingly wealthy like CP3 and Blake even moderately wealthy i wouldn't suit up as taking a stand against that sh** until he steps down. I couldn't take money from someone with that mentality... i just couldn't do it. I'd violate the contract and tell him to go **** himself.

I respect the clips decision either way they have fans and all but i just couldn't do it. If i had to protect my family in someway yes but otherwise I'm telling him to go **** himself
After they return his money?

mightybosstone
04-26-2014, 04:03 PM
You said you'd be fired from your job for the same thing, and I said you would have a nice fat wrongful termination suit for yourself. That it was illegally recorded is only further evidence for the hypothetical "you," and Sterling in this case.
And as I stated previously, Texas law allows recording as long as one party consents to it. I WOULD be fired in that circumstance and my employer would be totally justified. Basically, you're just arguing the semantics for the sake of argument.

Now, if we're talking about what's going to happen that's a different thing. Likely, Sterling will issue an apology through a publicist. Then the NBA will slap him with a token fine of some $50,000 or so, big enough so people think they did something but a drop in the bucket compared to the franchise and his wealth. He won't contest the fine because it would be bad publicity for his investment, he'll just be quiet and go away and people will go back to not caring what he says anymore because he's a terrible human being.

My point was that people only care what this ***h*le thinks now that he said something racist. Why? Let him be racist, it's best to just ignore **** like this. Forcing apologies and demanding fines may give you psychic catharsis but it means nothing.
Hearing that recording, I think it will be more than a public apology and a fine. At least I certainly hope it will be. If I'm another NBA owner, this is bad for business and I'm doing whatever I can right now to try and push this guy out of the league. I don't think it will happen, but I think the league and the rest of the owners will certainly consider their options.

Vinny642
04-26-2014, 04:03 PM
U guys are either idiots or crazy. If my boss was racist, but still paying me millions of dollars, I would give a crap.

abe_froman
04-26-2014, 04:05 PM
What can you really do though? It's not like he can be punished for free speech by law. And in the end he owns the team. They're ridiculous comments, but the Clippers are his team. It's like you own you car it's yours. The entire damn team is his.

there is a lot that can be done.its a franchise,which means its only his team as long as he meets the nba requirements to "own" it,its not his team outright

WVNowitzki
04-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Everyone's for freedom of speech until they hear something they don't like.

Touchdownboy
there is a lot that can be done.its a franchise,which means its only his team as long as he meets the nba requirements to "own" it,its not his team outright
Dreaming. Very little can be done. If owners & players were punished for everything they said in private, there would be no NBA.

beyourself

I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know.

Touchdownboy
04-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Everyone's for freedom of speech until they hear something they don't like.
+1

Cracka2HI!
As for basketball. This probably won't be as hard on the team as some of you are thinking. Donald Sterling is nothing but the man who signs their checks. You think they take any pride in playing for him? Or the Clipper legacy? No. They knew what they were getting into. I think Paul and Doc will take it the hardest because I've heard they had good relations with him. Paul and Doc are too great of competitors to let this have any effect on their play. They play for themselves and each other. This could easily bring them closer together. I highly doubt this is going to split the team apart.

mightybosstone
It was just announced on TNT that Adam Silver will hold a press conference tonight at 8:30 ET on NBA TV to address Sterling's comments. I'm very curious to see what he has to say.

flea
04-26-2014, 04:14 PM
And as I stated previously, Texas law allows recording as long as one party consents to it. I WOULD be fired in that circumstance and my employer would be totally justified. Basically, you're just arguing the semantics for the sake of argument.

Hearing that recording, I think it will be more than a public apology and a fine. At least I certainly hope it will be. If I'm another NBA owner, this is bad for business and I'm doing whatever I can right now to try and push this guy out of the league. I don't think it will happen, but I think the league and the rest of the owners will certainly consider their options.

Well dream on, little dreamer. Most laws don't even apply to rich people, and this guy didn't even break any.

abe_froman
04-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Dreaming. Very little can be done. If owners & players were punished for everything they said in private, there would be no NBA.

i dont know,i dont now what the rules are for owning an nba team are,but he still lives under front office rules ...and yes,players and owners get punished all the time for the things they say(there's fund specially made for cuban for all the fines he's racked up)...but they have never been this detrimental to the league before

Touchdownboy
04-26-2014, 04:18 PM
i dont know,i dont now what the rules are for owning an nba team are,but he still lives under front office rules ...and yes,players and owners get punished all the time for the things they say(there's fund specially made for cuban for all the fines he's racked up)...but they have never been this detrimental to the league before
Those are statements Cuban made in public. This was a recording in private without Sterling's knowledge.

abe_froman
04-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Those are statements Cuban made in public. This was a recording in private without Sterling's knowledge.

they are public,even if its recorded in private.once something is made aware to the public,no matter when/where it was said/done,it automatically makes it public

yaswaggin
04-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Would not want to be a clippers fan

Their owner is a piece of **** racist

Their star PG is also a piece of **** and racist

Touchdownboy
04-26-2014, 04:23 PM
they are public,even if its recorded in private.once something is made aware to the public,no matter when/where it was said/done,it automatically makes it public
Alright, let's start punishing players for every Lin joke made behind closed doors.

abe_froman
04-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Alright, let's start punishing players for every Lin joke made behind closed doors.

if it was caught on tape and made public than they could be subject to it