PDA

View Full Version : The Big O on free agency: RUN MELO RUN!

P&GRealist
04-24-2014, 04:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10833312/oscar-robertson-says-carmelo-anthony-bolt-new-york-knicks

ManRam
04-24-2014, 04:19 PM
Glad he FINALLY weighed in on this. I've been waiting

NYJ - NYY
04-24-2014, 04:29 PM

hahahah

Cal827
04-24-2014, 04:52 PM
:laugh:

TheMightyHumph
04-24-2014, 08:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10833312/oscar-robertson-says-carmelo-anthony-bolt-new-york-knicks

A) Does Oscar realize that Rockets have Harden on their team? If so, he must believe the Rockets need is offense. Of course, I'm sure Dwight is willing to take less touches, because Howard doesn't feel he is important to the Rockets offense.

B) Oscar CANNOT possibly conceive of the amount of money 'Melo will be giving up to sign with the Rockets.

But he is the 'Big O', at least until Playgirl got a hold of that moniker.

lol, please
04-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Melo will be a warrior, he will drink Jacksons Kool-Aid. Heard it here first folks.

east fb knicks
04-24-2014, 09:15 PM
Melo will be a warrior, he will drink Jacksons Kool-Aid. Heard it here first folks.

Jackson is probably going to get fired in the offseason:facepalm:

slaker619
04-24-2014, 09:21 PM
He does need to leave #Knicks tho

slashsnake
04-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Jackson is probably going to get fired in the offseason:facepalm:

I think he'd step down out of frustration, cite a health concern, and head back to Cali first.

east fb knicks
04-24-2014, 09:30 PM
I think he'd step down out of frustration, cite a health concern, and head back to Cali first.

I meant marc not phil:facepalm:

east fb knicks
04-24-2014, 09:32 PM
He does need to leave #Knicks tho

yeah cuz the bulls or rockets are instant contenders if he goes there :facepalm:

Kaner
04-24-2014, 09:49 PM
yeah cuz the bulls or rockets are instant contenders if he goes there :facepalm:

yeah good point they will be instant contenders if he goes there.

east fb knicks
04-24-2014, 09:51 PM
yeah good point they will be instant contenders if he goes there.

:facepalm:no

Kaner
04-24-2014, 09:53 PM
:facepalm:no

no what?

I was agreeing with you :cheers:

east fb knicks
04-24-2014, 09:56 PM
no what?

what do you think :punish:

mudvayne387
04-24-2014, 10:08 PM
Do people honestly think Knick fans get offended by this sort of thing ? I've said it before and I'll say if again, the Knicks are 10x better off if Melo leaves. You don't give a long term max contract to a 31 year old ball hog. He will not win a ring in Chicago, Houston, or Golden State. He will go down as one of the best players of all time never to win a ring. Truth Hurts ...

P&GRealist
04-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Do people honestly think Knick fans get offended by this sort of thing ? I've said it before and I'll say if again, the Knicks are 10x better off if Melo leaves. You don't give a long term max contract to a 31 year old ball hog. He will not win a ring in Chicago, Houston, or Golden State. He will go down as one of the best players of all time never to win a ring. Truth Hurts ...
You're right, he'll win a ring as a Laker, and then get his #15 retired next to the Laker all time greats.

mudvayne387
04-24-2014, 10:17 PM
You're right, he'll win a ring as a Laker, and then get his #15 retired next to the Laker all time greats.

lol I almost spit out my chamomile tea with honey ....

east fb knicks
04-24-2014, 10:30 PM
no what?

I was agreeing with you :cheers:

my bad well then that makes me the dumass now doesn't it :hide:

east fb knicks
04-24-2014, 10:35 PM

as much as i love melo i agree we are actually better if he leaves but tbh his easiest chance to win a title if and its a big if he wants one is to resign in ny take a drastic pay cut and we form our own big three in ny the problem with that would be our window would be like 3 years maybe 4 years if he walks we'd have a shyt load of cap and a couple draft picks

TheMightyHumph
04-24-2014, 10:36 PM

If you are correct, what do you win?

If you are incorrect, will you post that you were incorrect?

OaklandsFinest
04-25-2014, 02:29 AM
A) Does Oscar realize that Rockets have Harden on their team? If so, he must believe the Rockets need is offense. Of course, I'm sure Dwight is willing to take less touches, because Howard doesn't feel he is important to the Rockets offense.

B) Oscar CANNOT possibly conceive of the amount of money 'Melo will be giving up to sign with the Rockets.

But he is the 'Big O', at least until Playgirl got a hold of that moniker.

You're right with A, but you're dead *** wrong on B. New York is a state with one of the highest income tax rates, texas has no state income tax. Plus Melo is going to get ANOTHER extension, after his 4th year is up. You don't really understand the NBA salary or state tax rates do you?

uprightciti
04-25-2014, 02:40 AM
wow this is a really ****** thread I feel as though it should be closed based on these idiotic comments alone!

the "big o" at age 75 weighs in on what he thinks Melo should do is comical!!!

This is coming from a guy who didnt get a ring until his 11th season in the league in the 70's!!!

LOL PEOPLE! LOL

monty77
04-25-2014, 06:12 AM
As a Bulls fan, I have some doubts Melo improve our team thoughtout regular season, but I am sure that we need a player like Melo in playoffs. Somebody tells that Knicks will be better team without Anthony, and maybe they are right. Knicks need Chandler more than Anthony during regular season. Carmelo is not a system player, he is valuable in specific moments, such as playoffs.

If Melo leaves NY and they sign a player like Gay, the record will be similar. If they sign a player like Deng, they will improve markedly its record during RS. But Championship is won in playoffs, and neither of these players match Melo in hot games.

I'm afraid Melo destroy Bulls defensive system if we sign him. With Mirotic on the court it is likely we had two weak point in this sense. Noah/Gibson, Butler and maybe Rose could balance it, but I am sure that Bulls must change its mind, and Thibodeau had to make a transition into a offensive team, as Popovic did with Spurs in the last years.

If I were Melo, I would choose Rockets. They already have two solid cornerstone in the roster, and they would form a great big three: Howard-Melo-Harden. It would be wonderful. The only bad thing is that, unlikely Chicago, Houston doesn't have a top 10 coach. Neither have Lakers so far and they maybe sign a good SF in the draft taking into account this draft is loaded at this spot and Lakers have one of the worst records in the league.

It will be funny to follow Melo story this summer. There are a lot of good options, but there isn't a perfect one. CHI is a big city, great coach but is not a contender team if Rose isn't healthy. HOU great star players but regular coach. LAL big city, and Kobe won't allow another transition year, but they maybe get Javari Parker or Wiggins. NY is no worse choise at this point, they have Phill Jackson now but they have Stoudamire's two years contract. So, as I said, there is no perfect choice so far.

KnicksorBust
04-25-2014, 09:17 AM

Until he hears from Tiny Archibald, I think he should hold off on his decision.

Sly Guy
04-25-2014, 09:42 AM
No disrespect to 'melo, but if he goes to houston, I don't see them as any more of a threat to win a championship. In fact, I see that move as a supreme disappointment. Howard isn't the same dominant player he once was and probably never will be. Having him at $20mil/yr for the next 3 decades or so will make him more of a liability than anything else down the road, and if you sign an aging 'melo to a max deal alongside him, you are really handicapping financial flexibility for a long time.

I can recognize melo's talent, but to me, he's still a volume shooter. You put him on a team with all that star power, and other capable players like parsons, who should be getting their share of shots as well, and I'm not sure there's enough ball to be shared.

Another issue is that I don't see McHale as a great coach. I don't think his resume will command the respect of all the players in the locker room if things start to go south, nor do I believe that much of the team's success to this point has been due to his ability to coach.

All that being said, 'Melo is a very talented player and can still help out teams in this league. I just see him being a far better fit in Chicago, a team in desperate need of scoring, a team with good chemistry, a more than capable coach, a system that can cover up his deficiencies. Amnesty Boozer, replace him with a 'Melo signing, play him at the 4 [where he's been really successful recently], or the 3 to replace Deng, and you've got a Bulls' team just as dangerous as they were with Derrick Rose healthy. Even more if Rose can come back and be anywhere near the player he was before he burned his knees out.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-25-2014, 10:06 AM

How are they not? When the season started, people said the Bull's would be back in contention with Rose. Now you add Carmelo to that team...

The Rockets, although under-performing, people also said that they could contend with their current roster... Now add Carmelo... lol you're high if you don't think they're contenders.

torocan
04-25-2014, 10:41 AM
Another issue is that I don't see McHale as a great coach. I don't think his resume will command the respect of all the players in the locker room if things start to go south, nor do I believe that much of the team's success to this point has been due to his ability to coach.

Personally I don't think McHale makes it through the off-season.

His contract comes up for a team option at the end of the season, and if the Rockets go out in the first round I doubt they'll bring him back.

This raises the question of who is the next Head Coach... however, there are some promising candidates floating around that would be upgrades over McHale.

mudvayne387
04-25-2014, 11:19 AM
How are they not? When the season started, people said the Bull's would be back in contention with Rose. Now you add Carmelo to that team...

The Rockets, although under-performing, people also said that they could contend with their current roster... Now add Carmelo... lol you're high if you don't think they're contenders.

You are severely overrating what Carmelo brings to a team. Stop looking at his numbers and start watching how his style of play cripples everyone around him. Unless he drastically alters his game plan, he will never sniff a championship.

redhorse
04-25-2014, 11:58 AM
i think Oscar is an all time great but what he said about ny media taking shots at melo is so untrue....Listen to sports talk radio here or even the newspapers nobody rips melo... They all have been fair and ripping the rest of the knicks....And as for the fans I mean sure fans rip melo but its not the majority of the fans ... If he goes to houston or Chi and doesnt win who do u think will get all the blame?? So yea its not just NY fans sorry oscar stfu....

redhorse
04-25-2014, 12:02 PM
You are severely overrating what Carmelo brings to a team. Stop looking at his numbers and start watching how his style of play cripples everyone around him. Unless he drastically alters his game plan, he will never sniff a championship.

MAn I couldnt agree with u more about that....but what can u do ppl love to look at stats and thats the end all be all... Dont get me wrong I would want melo to come back here just cause I feel phil or the new coach can direct him but if he wants to go so be it....

Dade County
04-25-2014, 01:18 PM
As a Bulls fan, I have some doubts Melo improve our team thoughtout regular season, but I am sure that we need a player like Melo in playoffs. Somebody tells that Knicks will be better team without Anthony, and maybe they are right. Knicks need Chandler more than Anthony during regular season. Carmelo is not a system player, he is valuable in specific moments, such as playoffs.

If Melo leaves NY and they sign a player like Gay, the record will be similar. If they sign a player like Deng, they will improve markedly its record during RS. But Championship is won in playoffs, and neither of these players match Melo in hot games.

I'm afraid Melo destroy Bulls defensive system if we sign him. With Mirotic on the court it is likely we had two weak point in this sense. Noah/Gibson, Butler and maybe Rose could balance it, but I am sure that Bulls must change its mind, and Thibodeau had to make a transition into a offensive team, as Popovic did with Spurs in the last years.

If I were Melo, I would choose Rockets. They already have two solid cornerstone in the roster, and they would form a great big three: Howard-Melo-Harden. It would be wonderful. The only bad thing is that, unlikely Chicago, Houston doesn't have a top 10 coach. Neither have Lakers so far and they maybe sign a good SF in the draft taking into account this draft is loaded at this spot and Lakers have one of the worst records in the league.

Harden would be traded for Cp3... Then the dream can finally be realized Cp3, Melo, Howard :)

Kyben36
04-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Rockets would need to move both Asik and Lyn, and as i have heard nobody will help out the rockets because everyone hates their Front office.

DillyDill
04-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Rockets would need to move both Asik and Lyn, and as i have heard nobody will help out the rockets because everyone hates their Front office.

It's very possible they can. Just looked it up and their both on expiring deals in 15, some teams would take them.

DamnGoat
04-25-2014, 01:55 PM
A lot of teams would like to have Asik...not sure about Lin though.

Tony_Starks
04-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Why would he want to go to Houston? Howard still thinks the offense should run through him and Harden is being completely exposed in the playoffs as a one dimentional defensive liability.

If anything his best bets are Bulls with a huge question mark over Rose or LA with huge question marks over Kobe, supporting cast, and who's the new coach.....

DillyDill
04-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Why would he want to go to Houston? Howard still thinks the offense should run through him and Harden is being completely exposed in the playoffs as a one dimentional defensive liability.

If anything his best bets are Bulls with a huge question mark over Rose or LA with huge question marks over Kobe, supporting cast, and who's the new coach.....

Because Houston Big 3 would be waaaayyy better than Chicago. If Dwight is back to his Orlando days he's waaaayyyy better than Noah and James and Rose is a toss up because of health reasons.

TheIlladelph16
04-25-2014, 02:27 PM

Yeah Howard sure proved he can't carry a team offensively this week. He should probably just give up amirite?

Why on Earth would LA be even considered one of his best bets? The Bulls without their best player (who is in his early twenties) were a top seed in their conference, now add Rose and Melo to that and you have a team that can likely beat the Heat. The Lakers without their best player were borderline garbage, and he's not getting younger or healthier any time soon.

Method28
04-25-2014, 02:38 PM
I honestly thought Robertson was dead

Tony_Starks
04-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Because Houston Big 3 would be waaaayyy better than Chicago. If Dwight is back to his Orlando days he's waaaayyyy better than Noah and James and Rose is a toss up because of health reasons.

The pieces have to fit though. Noah is content to pass, crash and play D. Plus Rose is a willing passer when given weapons. Not to mention Chicagos defense is superior to Houston's.

With the Rockets he'd basically be playing the same role as Harden, yet taking more shots away from Dwight and we all know how that works out....

jason6692
04-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Melo should go to the mavs they have the money and Mark Cuban will always be willing to pay to improve the team. How can melo trust d rose knees or the rockets incontinence Rick carlisle can completely change melos mindset similar to what he did with monta

DillyDill
04-25-2014, 03:06 PM
The pieces have to fit though. Noah is content to pass, crash and play D. Plus Rose is a willing passer when given weapons. Not to mention Chicagos defense is superior to Houston's.

With the Rockets he'd basically be playing the same role as Harden, yet taking more shots away from Dwight and we all know how that works out....

I see what your saying from a system standpoint Bulls are better. But I know from a TALENT standpoint Houston would be waaaaaayyyyy better, they would have 3 superstars (when James in on his game). As great as Noah is playing D, hustling and dominating the glass, he can't dominate and impact a gm offensively like Howard can.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-25-2014, 04:26 PM

I've watched every game he's played in since his freshman year @ Syracuse. How am I overrating what he brings? This is the first year he hasn't made the playoffs... Adding Carmelo to the squad isn't like adding Kevin Martin. Your defintly underrating him he's one of the best players in the NBA for a reason.

mjm07
04-25-2014, 05:12 PM
as much as i love melo i agree we are actually better if he leaves but tbh his easiest chance to win a title if and its a big if he wants one is to resign in ny take a drastic pay cut and we form our own big three in ny the problem with that would be Melo will never take a pay cut

Fixed it.

John Walls Era
04-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Melo should stay in the East. Its kind of a joke how relaxed it is for the top team.

richiesaurus310
04-26-2014, 12:40 PM
What about the Blazers entering the Melo sweepstakes. Trade Wes Mathews and Nicolas Batum for Melo in a sign and trade with the Knicks.

Lillard-Anthony-Aldridge :drunk: