PDA

View Full Version : Melo wants the 'Dwight Howard treatment'

JasonJohnHorn
04-22-2014, 10:31 PM
http://prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=301656

According to 'source's, Melo expects team to recruit him the way they did Dwight.

Um... lead the league in blocks, rebounding, and win DPOY, and people will do the same for you.

As for recruiting a high volume scoring that dominates the ball, plays iso way too much and turns the ball over as often as he manages to get an assist.... the guy is an All-Star, but I'd be too busy putting together a recruitment video for LBJ to worry about the one for Melo.

Just saying.

Thoughts? Does this sounds like a spoiled diva?

goingfor28
04-22-2014, 10:32 PM
No. It sounds like exactly what will likely happen.

NBA_Starter
04-22-2014, 10:37 PM
He ain't bout that life..

Avenged
04-22-2014, 10:41 PM
I really don't understand? As in with the media circus? Constantly changing your mind? Or just the recruitment in general? Because he's a big name, he's got it before and most likely will again.

Crackadalic
04-22-2014, 11:18 PM

According to 'source's, Melo expects team to recruit him the way they did Dwight.

Um... lead the league in blocks, rebounding, and win DPOY, and people will do the same for you.

As for recruiting a high volume scoring that dominates the ball, plays iso way too much and turns the ball over as often as he manages to get an assist.... the guy is an All-Star, but I'd be too busy putting together a recruitment video for LBJ to worry about the one for Melo.

Just saying.

Lead the league in scoring and he has one of the lower turnover rates for someone having a high usage rate like carmelo so it just sounds like you just don't like the guy

He's still a name star so who cares. I personally would like him to stay but if he sees something he can't refuse props to the guy. Hopefully he gets a second option scorer besides AI where ever he goes like Houston

P&GRealist
04-22-2014, 11:19 PM

Just saying.

LOL those days of Coward being DPOY material, leading the league in rebounds or blocks are LONG GONE.

John Walls Era
04-23-2014, 12:15 AM
Kind of sounds spoiled, but understandable.

Blitzace137
04-23-2014, 12:35 AM
That's probably what will happen. Why would teams bother making recruitment videos for Lebron when they most likely don't have a chance to sign him, opposed to Melo, who you can lure away from the Knicks.

TheMightyHumph
04-23-2014, 12:39 AM
'Melo just cares about winning and rimjobs, it would seem.

sunsfan88
04-23-2014, 04:53 AM
He wants people to bash him 24/7 and the entire city of LA to hate him?

DitchDat
04-23-2014, 06:14 AM
Melodrama Part 2

PhillyFaninLA
04-23-2014, 07:35 AM
I've said if before I wouldn't want him on my team for free, you cannot win an NBA championship with him on your roster

sep11ie
04-23-2014, 08:19 AM
"LOL those days of Coward being DPOY material, leading the league in rebounds or blocks are LONG GONE."
- P-enis&Garglerealist

Unlike your days of sucking on the D.

NYKnickFanatic
04-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Melo > Dwight...

ManningToTyree
04-23-2014, 09:29 AM
He wants the star treatment of being recruited by several organizations and then sit back and make his decision. Nothing different then what Howard lebron or bosh did. Remember Melo hasn't had a opportunity to do this in his career

c.c.
04-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Melo > Dwight...

Ha :laugh:

Pierzynski4Prez
04-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Curious to know what kind of percentage of top name FA's who go through this process end up staying with their current team. Someone that hit the open market as a FA. I don't know how many visits Dirk made in 2010. But there isn't too many.

mRc08
04-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Who cares if he wants the Dwight treatment? Imagine if you had the chance to change jobs/companies, what deciding factors would lead to your decision?

1. Money-- We all know melo can get the most from NY
2. Commute- This is not as aplicable to NBA players, though, Melo likes WHERE he is in NY.
3. People you work with-- current people and who you may work with. This is the next big decision for melo. Does he like his current roster, coach, team president? Or are other places more promising?
4. How much a company wants you-- If you feel wanted at a new company and overall it feels like a good fit you will be more likely to go there.

Teams can only really control the last two factors of his decision. Why wouldn't teams make a "presentation" or well organized pitch to him, and why wouldn't he want that?

rockets-fan
04-23-2014, 10:29 AM
He will get recruited heavily, my bet is he will end up on the

Bulls
Rockets
Clippers
Knicks

In that order. Bulls NEED his scoring, championship if they get him AND Rose healthy next year

Rockets, would be nice but I really wouldn't want to give up parsons for him

Clippers, I don't even know how teams would compete against them

Knicks, meh stay with his favorite team I guess and hope Jackson can rebuild

Crackadalic
04-23-2014, 10:46 AM
He will get recruited heavily, my bet is he will end up on the

Bulls
Rockets
Clippers
Knicks

In that order. Bulls NEED his scoring, championship if they get him AND Rose healthy next year

Rockets, would be nice but I really wouldn't want to give up parsons for him

Clippers, I don't even know how teams would compete against them

Knicks, meh stay with his favorite team I guess and hope Jackson can rebuild

My thing with the bulls is he will be depend upon as the only offense threat and do the same thing he did in NY with carrying a scoring load. Derrick rose played what 10 games in two years. If I'm carmelo that's something to consider

I see him as a rocket because he gets the second option and a big man in the middle. All they really need is a coach that's actually good and to just plug in better defensive players and that's the team to beat out west

Clippers I just don't see it. I think they have enough talent to go to the finals this year so I don't see why they should persuade him etc

Knicks he loves the city and you can't deny that. He force his way here. He just don't know if he wants to stay because the franchise is a mess and needs some cleansing from the inside. If Phil can at least convince him that they can at least be a playoff team and at least be competitive next season and have a chance to get a star or players of his choosing in 2015 he stays

If he's not with that I see him as a rocket next season

TrueFan420
04-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Clippers I just don't see it. I think they have enough talent to go to the finals this year so I don't see why they should persuade him etc

What's there not to see? Idk how'd they make it happen but if they got him they'd be scary as ****. Paul, melo, Blake is a very dangerous 3. As they are now they might have talent to make it but they might not cause the west is so damn deep. With melo (and the spurs another year older) they'd be the odds on favorite to make it.

torocan
04-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Who cares if he wants the Dwight treatment? Imagine if you had the chance to change jobs/companies, what deciding factors would lead to your decision?

1. Money-- We all know melo can get the most from NY
2. Commute- This is not as aplicable to NBA players, though, Melo likes WHERE he is in NY.
3. People you work with-- current people and who you may work with. This is the next big decision for melo. Does he like his current roster, coach, team president? Or are other places more promising?
4. How much a company wants you-- If you feel wanted at a new company and overall it feels like a good fit you will be more likely to go there.

Teams can only really control the last two factors of his decision. Why wouldn't teams make a "presentation" or well organized pitch to him, and why wouldn't he want that?

There's a LOT more reasons than that. According to a survey by Rights Management, here are the top 10 reasons why people change jobs.

1. Downsizing or restructuring (54%)
2. Sought new challenges or opportunities (30%)
3. Due to ineffective leadership (25%)
4. Poor relationship with manager (22%)
5. To improve work/life balance (21%)
6. Contributions were not valued (21%)
7. Better compensation and benefits (18%)
8. Better alignment of personal and organizational values (17%)
9. Personal strengths and capabilities weren’t a good fit (16%)
10. Company was financially unstable (13%)
11. Company or job relocated (12%)

http://business.time.com/2008/05/28/top_reasons_why_we_change_jobs/

When you look at it through this lens, it's far from a sure bet that he stays.

Crackadalic
04-23-2014, 11:25 AM
What's there not to see? Idk how'd they make it happen but if they got him they'd be scary as ****. Paul, melo, Blake is a very dangerous 3. As they are now they might have talent to make it but they might not cause the west is so damn deep. With melo (and the spurs another year older) they'd be the odds on favorite to make it.

They have good chemistry. Why break up a team IMO has the most talent out west from starters to the bench and give up some for melo?

TrueFan420
04-23-2014, 11:30 AM
They have good chemistry. Why break up a team IMO has the most talent out west from starters to the bench and give up some for melo?

Because right now they're not a lock for anything in the west. Thunder and Spurs (tho for how much longer I'm not sure) are the only two team people consider elite in the west. Hell they might not get past the warriors without Bogut. With Bogut those are very even teams and Houston is in that tier as well. If they add melo with Paul and Blake and keep Jordan (they'll need his d) then I'd consider them title favorites out the west. Chemistry is a little overrate at time. If they win they'll get chemistry fast and trust me that team will win.

The Captain
04-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Screw MElo. I hope the Knicks give him max money so I can LOL for years to come.

He already said, "I'm not at a point in my career where I want to rebuild", so it's likely he'll skip town, probably to the Bulls.

The Captain
04-23-2014, 11:57 AM
There's a LOT more reasons than that. According to a survey by Rights Management, here are the top 10 reasons why people change jobs.

1. Downsizing or restructuring (54%)
2. Sought new challenges or opportunities (30%)
3. Due to ineffective leadership (25%)
4. Poor relationship with manager (22%)
5. To improve work/life balance (21%)
6. Contributions were not valued (21%)
7. Better compensation and benefits (18%)
8. Better alignment of personal and organizational values (17%)
9. Personal strengths and capabilities weren’t a good fit (16%)
10. Company was financially unstable (13%)
11. Company or job relocated (12%)

http://business.time.com/2008/05/28/top_reasons_why_we_change_jobs/

When you look at it through this lens, it's far from a sure bet that he stays.

When you look at it through this lens, it's pointless because Carmelo Anthony is a superstar athlete whose reasons and desires can't be correlated to those of the average working slob. Also, that's 11 reasons.

DillyDill
04-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Because right now they're not a lock for anything in the west. Thunder and Spurs (tho for how much longer I'm not sure) are the only two team people consider elite in the west. Hell they might not get past the warriors without Bogut. With Bogut those are very even teams and Houston is in that tier as well. If they add melo with Paul and Blake and keep Jordan (they'll need his d) then I'd consider them title favorites out the west. Chemistry is a little overrate at time. If they win they'll get chemistry fast and trust me that team will win.

I see exactly where your coming from, but realistically what package are the clipps giving up for Melo since their over the cap? At least the rockets have a decent sign and trade package in place for him.

TrueFan420
04-23-2014, 12:14 PM
I see exactly where your coming from, but realistically what package are the clipps giving up for Melo since their over the cap? At least the rockets have a decent sign and trade package in place for him.

That's the big thing idk if they can match salaries and keep Jordan on top of it. Which is why I initially said idk if they cam make it happen. If they bring melo in it would most likely have to be at the expense of Jordan.

Stinkyoutsider
04-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Bulls and Rockets should be preparing their material right as we speak. Especially the Bulls since his scoring is exactly what we need.

DillyDill
04-23-2014, 12:41 PM
That's the big thing idk if they can match salaries and keep Jordan on top of it. Which is why I initially said idk if they cam make it happen. If they bring melo in it would most likely have to be at the expense of Jordan.

Yea your right DJ would have to be the centerpiece of the deal. I know Clipp fans would miss his D and rebounding but it's a small price to pay for a scoring talent like Melo. CP/Melo/Blake= nassssssstttyyyyy!!!

torocan
04-23-2014, 12:53 PM
When you look at it through this lens, it's pointless because Carmelo Anthony is a superstar athlete whose reasons and desires can't be correlated to those of the average working slob. Also, that's 11 reasons.

Actually, 10/11 of those reasons can be correlated to Anthony.

1. Downsizing or restructuring (54%) - The team is rebuilding. Multiple players will be moved including potentially players that he's personally close to.
2. Sought new challenges or opportunities (30%) - Melo wants a championship. If he believes he has a better chance to win a championship somewhere else, that counts for something.
3. Due to ineffective leadership (25%) - Woodson was the coach. He's now gone. If Melo believes that Phil can get them there, that works in the Knicks favor. Dolan however is still the Owner. That will also come into play in Melo's decision process depending on how far Dolan steps back.
4. Poor relationship with manager (22%) - No evidence of Melo conflicting with Dolan. He liked Woodson, but Woodson is now gone. Melo doesn't know the new coach and doesn't really know Phil, so TBD.
5. To improve work/life balance (21%) - His wife wants access to large markets for her personal business ventures and potentially better access to Hollywood for her media career. This works to the Knicks' benefit.
6. Contributions were not valued (21%) - The New York Media is a pressure cooker. The fan base is very passionate. He gets a ton of media attention locally and nationally. This is both good and bad.
7. Better compensation and benefits (18%) - The Knicks can pay more money but nobody knows how much the Knicks are actually willing to pay versus how much Melo wants. Other teams can meet his full salary or come close through Sign and Trade, or in the case of the Lakers through FA.
8. Better alignment of personal and organizational values (17%) - This will depend heavily on the culture of the franchise, the coach and the system. Pat Riley and the Heat is famous for his "family" atmosphere. The Spurs is well known for Pops and how close he is with the players. Time will tell if Melo feels he fits with the "new" culture and staff being assembled by Phil Jackson.
9. Personal strengths and capabilities weren’t a good fit (16%) - Melo is an isolation heavy post up player. Guaranteed he won't be a fan of playing in D'Antoni's system where his post up game is minimized. How he perceives his role within the Triangle will be an important factor.
10. Not applicable.
11. Changing teams is a relocation. You're either moving your wife and your children and disrupting their lives, or you're separating from your wife and children and potentially creating distance. For Carmelo he's leaving family and friends (grew up in NY) and may involve relocating or separating for significant amounts of time from Lala, so this will be a potential factor.

It's not as simple as you think.

AddiX
04-23-2014, 02:06 PM
I didn't even know PSD had articles and people actualy read them.

GiantsSwaGG
04-23-2014, 02:42 PM
As long as he's not a knick anymore treat him like Dwight

Sly Guy
04-23-2014, 03:19 PM
Melo > Dwight...

agreed, but I'm not much of a fan of either at this point.

Really, I think Melo should quiet the **** down and deal with his free agency with class instead of stirring up a media shitstorm again......didn't he get enough bad press the last time he did it?

NYKnickFanatic
04-23-2014, 03:20 PM
agreed, but I'm not much of a fan of either at this point.

Really, I think Melo should quiet the **** down and deal with his free agency with class instead of stirring up a media shitstorm again......didn't he get enough bad press the last time he did it?

He's not even saying anything though lol. All he has really said was that he wants to go through the free agency process and see what his options are.

Sly Guy
04-23-2014, 03:45 PM
He's not even saying anything though lol. All he has really said was that he wants to go through the free agency process and see what his options are.

lol, then why is this a thread? I see 'like dwight howard' with melo in the title and I immediately think unnecessary drama.

NYKnickFanatic
04-23-2014, 04:01 PM
lol, then why is this a thread? I see 'like dwight howard' with melo in the title and I immediately think unnecessary drama.

No clue lol. This is coming from 'sources', not Melo himself.

Free agency opens on July 1, and, the source said, Anthony would like, “the Dwight Howard treatment.” That means he wants to go through the same sort of process that Howard went through last summer, when Howard set up shop in Los Angeles and set up meetings with five teams—Houston, the Lakers, Dallas, Golden State and Atlanta—each of whom came in and made formal presentations.

That's the Dwight Howard treatment.

NYSpirit1
04-23-2014, 11:43 PM
I don't see how Chicago can possibly get Melo. I REALLY don't see how Houston can get him.

Somehow, or at least ESPN (who likes stirring drama), wants everyone to think it'll be a walk in the park trading Lin, Asik and Taj Gibson, for nothing mind you, at AT LEAST $8 million dollar salaries.

Currently the Bulls are at $64 million next year salary wise. The Rockets are at $71 million ($59 million if Asik/Lin count as $8 million, not $14 million).

So the Bulls would have to amnesty Boozer, then trade Taj for nothing just to get the max space to even entertain the idea of signing Melo. Would they give up a key piece in Taj and their starting power forward for just the hope to sign Melo? And that's saying that someone will have the cap to take back Taj for nothing and actually want him.

The Rockets are even more unrealistic. They have to trade Asik and Lin, both for nothing, just to get under the cap to sign Melo. And I'm not so sure they'll even be under the cap at that point with the amount of contracts they have committed.

So these teams (who are quite good right now), have to mix up everything just to get Melo. Unrealistic if you ask me.

NY, LA Lakers and Dallas are the only ones with cap.