PDA

View Full Version : KD's and Westy's 4th qtr performances against Memphis - why they WON'T win title

P&GRealist
04-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Last night, in the 4th qtr of game 2 against the Grizz:

Kevin Durant attempted 4 field goals and made all 4 of them.

He entered the 4th qtr at the 9:52 mark. He attempted 3 free throws at the 7:22 mark.

He didn't have his first official field goal attempt of the qtr until the 3:34 mark.

Westbrook played the entire 4th qtr. He attempted 12 shots, and made just 4 of them.

4th qtr performances:

Russell Westbrook: 4/12 FGs

Kevin Durant: 4/4 FGs

What the hell? If they do this against a Clippers, San Antonio or Miami in a 7 game series who are not just good defensively, but unlike Memphis, are power house offenses, it'll be the DEATH OF OKC!

Westbrook CANNOT keep jacking up that many shots when you have the reigning 4x scoring champ in the last 5 yrs and the soon to be named LEAGUE MVP and 2nd best player in the world on your team.

I also think that Scott Brooks needs to put a better tactical offense out there when KD is resting on the bench. Don't just make it WESTY BALL, which is just play reckless in the half court and full court and jack up shots.

72 Wins
04-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Westbrook still hasn't figured out he's not the man. OKC would be more successful trading Westbrook for a true pg and another excellent jump shooter.

curtcocaine
04-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Lol u mad.....are nahh

curtcocaine
04-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Westbrook for kobe. Lakers get a star from L.A and cap relief. Lol.

BALLER R
04-22-2014, 04:06 PM
I've been saying this Westbrook will be the death of Durant.

Iron24th
04-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Westy is an idiot, he can't learn

P&GRealist
04-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Westbrook for kobe. Lakers get a star from L.A and cap relief. Lol.

I think Westbrook and Perkins to Golden State for Curry and Bogut would be awesome.

ColtsSpursTerps
Agreed. OKC relies way too heavily on Iso plays in general too.

DillyDill
Exactly well said. That's what I admire about Dwade when Heat acquired Bron, he knew he wasn't the Man anymore and took a back seat to the Best player in the game.

49ersLALSFGiant
04-22-2014, 04:11 PM
I think we've all beaten the Westbrook thing to death. At this point he is what he is and okc needs to move on from that if they wanna win a ring with Durant. Look at it from this perspective, if u trade westy for Conley and Allen, okc sweeps. Time to trade westy for pieces that fit better.

sens#11fan
04-22-2014, 04:14 PM
I've streamed almost all the okc games this year and i've seen that westbrook can in fact be a facilitator and a scorer. Yes, at times he make dumb decisions and takes dumb shots. However, i know that he is every bit capable of changing it around. I think he is just playing to hard and doing too much against the grizzlies so far. I think part of the reason is because he was away last season in the playoffs and is out to prove something. He always plays with a chip on his shoulder and receives all the scrutiny. In fairness of last night, KD was contained like saran wrap by tony allen and allen took kds flow. Kd could barely move last night in the closing minutes because of allen.

TrueFan420
04-22-2014, 04:18 PM
I think Westbrook and Perkins to Golden State for Curry and Bogut would be awesome.

Hahahah the warriors would tell them to piss off

beyourself
04-22-2014, 04:26 PM
For years in my own brain and sometimes saying it to others I crucified Westbrook for his play. As talented as he is he plays like buffoon way too much.

But now I'm on the Scott Brooks criticism train. He must grow a pair of balls and if he has to do it publicly then so be it. Call this man out! And for God sakes develop an offensive system.

Scott Brooks is the head coach of the team. He is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd leader on this team. If that doesn't work fire Brooks or trade Westbrook. Or perhaps both. Although I'm of the opinion Brooks must go first and he should have been gone heading into this season.

ghettosean
04-22-2014, 04:27 PM
I think we've all beaten the Westbrook thing to death. At this point he is what he is and okc needs to move on from that if they wanna win a ring with Durant. Look at it from this perspective, if u trade westy for Conley and Allen, okc sweeps. Time to trade westy for pieces that fit better.

Perfect post and this is exactly what I'm saying and if they want to have a chance at keeping Durant and they don't win this season they better make a move for better fitting pieces or he's gone.

Sly Guy
04-22-2014, 04:30 PM
westy's stats in the 4th aside, memphis was denying durant the ball for a good portion of the final quarter. It's tough to put up shots if your team can't get you open.

MrfadeawayJB
04-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Keep shooting Westbrook you are the best player haha

sens#11fan
04-22-2014, 04:38 PM
westy's stats in the 4th aside, memphis was denying durant the ball for a good portion of the final quarter. It's tough to put up shots if your team can't get you open.

Exactly, people don't watch the game from all aspects. The thunder need to find away to free KD from allen and as much as i love KD (my favourite player) he needs to make more of an effort to move around. It seems liked he would stay at the same spot the entire time and using his length to get open, instead of his feet.

ColtsSpursTerps
04-22-2014, 04:40 PM
I've streamed almost all the okc games this year and i've seen that westbrook can in fact be a facilitator and a scorer. Yes, at times he make dumb decisions and takes dumb shots. However, i know that he is every bit capable of changing it around. I think he is just playing to hard and doing too much against the grizzlies so far. I think part of the reason is because he was away last season in the playoffs and is out to prove something. He always plays with a chip on his shoulder and receives all the scrutiny. In fairness of last night, KD was contained like saran wrap by tony allen and allen took kds flow. Kd could barely move last night in the closing minutes because of allen.

When you're that athletic of course you'll have flashes of great facilitation. In no way does that indicate that he can do it consistently. It seems that when he does pass it's because he's CHOOSING to rather than FEELING that it's the right decision. He's just not a good decision maker. He's an athletic freak who hustles and has a decent jumper, but a low-bball IQ, non-instinctual player. He's proven that over his career. Can it improve? Of course, but that's damn hard, that's instincts. And at this point in his career, it's that much harder.

49ersLALSFGiant
04-22-2014, 04:41 PM
For years in my own brain and sometimes saying it to others I crucified Westbrook for his play. As talented as he is he plays like buffoon way too much.

But now I'm on the Scott Brooks criticism train. He must grow a pair of balls and if he has to do it publicly then so be it. Call this man out! And for God sakes develop an offensive system.

Scott Brooks is the head coach of the team. He is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd leader on this team. If that doesn't work fire Brooks or trade Westbrook. Or perhaps both. Although I'm of the opinion Brooks must go first and he should have been gone heading into this season.

I agree, a lot of this has to fall on Brooks as well. I still don't get why we don't see a hell of a lot more 1-3 pick n roll with Durant and westy

beyourself
04-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Exactly, people don't watch the game from all aspects. The thunder need to find away to free KD from allen and as much as i love KD (my favourite player) he needs to make more of an effort to move around. It seems liked he would stay at the same spot the entire time and using his length to get open, instead of his feet.

Don't know what you are talking about, but Durant moves damn near the whole game. He probably works harder than anybody in the NBA to get open because he doesn't ram himself hard down low. He flies off screens constantly.

Of course when Westbrook goes ISO off course he will stand around because that's the nature of ISO plays.

nickdymez
04-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Should have kept Harden and dealt Westbrook

beyourself
04-22-2014, 04:46 PM
I agree, a lot of this has to fall on Brooks as well. I still don't get why we don't see a hell of a lot more 1-3 pick n roll with Durant and westy

I noticed that the 1-3 pick and roll with them has worked pretty well too. Brooks seems to prefer the 1-4 pick and roll a lot more.

49ersLALSFGiant
04-22-2014, 04:49 PM

I noticed that the 1-3 pick and roll with them has worked pretty well too. Brooks seems to prefer the 1-4 pick and roll a lot more.

Ya but with this match up they need to slow down the half court and have Durant set the pick on westy so it makes Allen make a decision. He can't hug up on Durant on every pick cuz westy will burn them around the corner and set up easy dunks for ibaka.

colinskik
04-22-2014, 04:55 PM

While this is true, I'm starting to notice it in a different light.

When WB is on the floor and dominating the ball, KD is just not the same player in terms of his presence. We all watch OKC for the majority of the season when WB was out and it proved that KD is capable of being the true star of the team. WHen he doesn't have someone else stealing his shots, his confidence is much higher, which makes him a more dangerous player.

I think alongside ANY other player WB is a great fit. But when you put him next to KD who can facilitate and score, WB is not only redundant, he's counter effective.

KD + Ibaka should be their core. Trade WB for pieces that fit around them.

kdspurman
04-22-2014, 04:56 PM
I feel what he does too often is dribble around and shoot ill advised 3's/long 2's. But it's also something Brooks and KD should address. It's obviously not the biggest issue cause they still win a lot, but in crucial moments it can be a major issue. Like last night, Allen did a great job preventing Durant from getting the ball, but there were several times late in that game when Westbrook wasn't running anything. Just sort of freestyling it out there.

If KD can't get the ball, run a P&R with him and try and switch defenders, or something. It doesn't seem too complex, but WB probably gets caught up in the moment and the crowd noise, and goes for the homerun plays. That's just the kind of player WB is I think though, so at times you live with it. But in the post season where every possession, especially in a close game matters, there should be something in place to get the ball to your best player, or to get a high % shot.

dalton749
04-22-2014, 04:59 PM
lowry n derozan for westbrook and some picks

49ersLALSFGiant
04-22-2014, 05:01 PM
lowry n derozan for westbrook and some picks

George Hill and Hibbert for westy and picks lol

ThuglifeJ
04-22-2014, 05:05 PM
I effin hate Memphis for beating Dallas with that ref bail out Conley fall over **** to win the game...I think Memphis or Dallas take OKC to 6-7 games and win. OKC has no system at all..no plays whatsoever, Brooks is pathetic. Now Mavs have to play freaking San Antonio.. sucks.

kobe4thewinbang
04-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Westbrook is a moron. He can blitz up the court in 2 seconds and dunk like Mini LeBron, yet he would rather shoot 3's and crap.

:rolleyes:

kobe4thewinbang
04-22-2014, 05:15 PM
I think Westbrook and Perkins to Golden State for Curry and Bogut would be awesome.Same problem. Curry shoots like a madman, too. He makes much more than Westbrook, but the ball still won't be in KD's hands. OKC needs a true point guard like Rondo or Parker. They need a couple of good shooters too. They'll light people up that way, because Rondo can pass your eyes out of your head. Like Westbrook, Rondo can't shoot a lick and has a firmer trigger finger.

Lim
04-22-2014, 06:43 PM
OKC as a whole makes me soo angry... You let harden go and resign Perkins and Ibaka for a combined 80 million?? Are you ****ing drunk?? The GM should've been fired on the spot right there. Fire Sam presti, fire Scott brooks , and trade that cancer they call Westbrook. Easiest decision ever.

ThaDubs
04-22-2014, 06:46 PM

Lol. As if Westbrook and Perkins is enough for them?
Curry >>> Westbrook
Bogut >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Perkins

sammyvine
04-22-2014, 06:58 PM
there is no way a pg should be taking 28 shouts ESPECIALLY with Kevin Durant on the team....

Ibaka should also be taking more shots than the 12 he took. Basically Westbrook can't run a team.

D-Leethal
04-22-2014, 06:59 PM
I have always been against the "Westbrook cancer" stuff, but damn he needs to get KD the ****ing ball. KD is picking up his scraps and drilling everything in sight. They basically just take turns out there. There was one play late they actually plays some two man basketball together and did it well but it ended with a shotclocking ending fadeaway 3 from Russ that wasn't even close.

Westbrook is too much of an alpha to have next to a calm demeanored guy like Durant. Durant doesn't have the cojones to put his foot down and let him know its his team and that really needs to be done. They might win on talent alone but Durant really needs a #2, not a #1 who refuses to play #2.

D-Leethal
04-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Its a shame they let so much talent just walk away in recent years because now you HAVE to move Westbrook for a qualified #2 instead of some nice pieces to add great player depth. Like the trade that gets mentioned with Pek, Rubio - thats enough if Harden is still there but he needs a better sidekick than Pek to win chips.

Hardaway Here
04-22-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm not saying Westbrook doesn't do stupid **** but Durant was 8/24 before going into the 4th qtr while westbrook was 7/16. Yeah Westbrook shot to much but its not like Durant was balling all game. He was bothered by the Grizzlies defense(Allen) quite a bit

beyourself
04-22-2014, 07:49 PM
Remember when everybody said Westbrook would calm down as he matured? He's actually done the opposite, and thinks he's more superhero every year.

Westbrooks USG% is 34.4
That is the most mindblowing stat in the NBA by any individual player in the NBA. It's just incredible.

Dade County
04-22-2014, 08:06 PM

He entered the 4th qtr at the 9:52 mark. He attempted 3 free throws at the 7:22 mark.

He didn't have his first official field goal attempt of the qtr until the 3:34 mark.

Westbrook played the entire 4th qtr. He attempted 12 shots, and made just 4 of them.

4th qtr performances:

What the hell? If they do this against a Clippers, San Antonio or Miami in a 7 game series who are not just good defensively, but unlike Memphis, are power house offenses, it'll be the DEATH OF OKC!

Westbrook CANNOT keep jacking up that many shots when you have the reigning 4x scoring champ in the last 5 yrs and the soon to be named LEAGUE MVP and 2nd best player in the world on your team.

I also think that Scott Brooks needs to put a better tactical offense out there when KD is resting on the bench. Don't just make it WESTY BALL, which is just play reckless in the half court and full court and jack up shots.

Did you create this same break down, when Lbj averaged like 2.1 pts in the 4th quarter, for four straight Final's games?

3RDASYSTEM
04-22-2014, 08:08 PM

4th qtr performances:

basically me and you agree that KD should most def. shoot more and be attacking early and often all game and even more 4th qtr/crunchtime

basically he needs to channel his inner G HILL/BRON and bring the ball up entire 4th and pass when warranted, hell I even recall A MASON bringing up the ball more For NYC than KD does For OKC and he doesn't have near the attack game as KD has, maybe KD needs to channel his inner A MASON and see how that works out because i'd rather have KD take 3/4 o the teams entire 4th qtr shots, or at least have 12-15 attempts but with RUSS having the ball and with his game+confidence it will ruin the chances of a deep finals run because he is streaky at best while KD is just naturally pure at it

3RDASYSTEM
04-22-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm not saying Westbrook doesn't do stupid **** but Durant was 8/24 before going into the 4th qtr while westbrook was 7/16. Yeah Westbrook shot to much but its not like Durant was balling all game. He was bothered by the Grizzlies defense(Allen) quite a bit

But that will usually happen to any scorer who plays a 7game series against top notch individual defenders plus team D, but you always go with the guy who has won scoring titles like BRON has won mvps and now is about to add a nba mvp to his scoring resume

keep feeding that franchise player until the wheels fall of, I saw IVERSON shoot 6-27 and 5-20 from the field with mckie/snow/whatever else d league style player so I cant trip on seeing KD struggle with RUSS its just the nature of the game when playing a tough d(mental and physically) for game after game you will bound to struggle but he will be fine like game 1 more times than not as long as RUSS is on the court, hes a 4x scoring champ for a reason, no matter if he is 15-22 or 8-24 from the ield

3RDASYSTEM
04-22-2014, 08:22 PM
there is no way a pg should be taking 28 shouts ESPECIALLY with Kevin Durant on the team....

Ibaka should also be taking more shots than the 12 he took. Basically Westbrook can't run a team.

CP3 for RUSS this summer if both teams fail?

beyourself
04-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Kevin Durant cannot just dribble up the court and attack from the full court set like LeBron can.

That's because defenses will double him immediately and force him to pass. LeBron doesn't receive nearly as many immediate double teams on the perimeter like Durant does. That's because they don't fear his mid range jumper to the same extent. So they let him run the offense, pass and if he shoots well they'll let LeBron live and die by the jumper.

If you go 1-on-1 vs Durant he will win and win by the jumper. He doesn't really have the chance to bring the ball up the court so freely like LeBron. But this is irrelevant anyways since Westbrook does the ball handling.

STAT1
04-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Westbrook was taking too many 3's in clutch time when he should have been finding a way to get durant the ball.

Blitzbolt
04-22-2014, 10:23 PM
KD is 6'10 or 6'11and Tony allen is 6'5 how in the Fff is allen slowing him down??I think its amazing doing that vs the best offense player in the game.
The Spurs beat you as a team Okc and the clippers beat you with one on ones big reason why the spurs sweep us last year who is tony allen gonna guard when the whole team is beating you.

FYL_McVeezy
04-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Russ will always be KD's and OKC's downfall. Always has, always will be....

You can tell when he's about to chuck too...he gets that look in his eye....

Great talent, can't make the proper play when it counts....

AIverson
04-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Instead of trading him, why not just move him to SG and bring in a PG? That's a lot more logical than trading away a star for lesser talent. That or a coaching change. If you're OKC, you have to find a way to make that duo work. You can't afford to lose another star if you're OKC.

P&GRealist
04-22-2014, 11:27 PM
Did you create this same break down, when Lbj averaged like 2.1 pts in the 4th quarter, for four straight Final's games?

Wow, insecure Heat fans bringing in LeBron into a discussion that involves Kevin Durant.

SHOCKING! :speechless:

Red_Pill
04-23-2014, 02:38 AM
Westbrooks problem is that he settles for jumpshots when he should be more like Tony Parker and get into the paint. Also, if he and Durant would play more pick and roll together, it would benefit Durant in that he can get away from Allen a bit more.

With that said, I think they'll need to trade him. I believe the team can win with Westbrook, but it's going to be harder than necessary.

I still think they'll beat Memphis three straight games and finish up the series.

DillyDill
04-23-2014, 02:46 AM
Instead of trading him, why not just move him to SG and bring in a PG? That's a lot more logical than trading away a star for lesser talent. That or a coaching change. If you're OKC, you have to find a way to make that duo work. You can't afford to lose another star if you're OKC.
Exactly well said. They can't trade Russ even if they wanted to because they won't get equal value back and like Ai said they already trade James. Their forced to make this duo work until KD last contract year.

JJ_JKidd
04-23-2014, 04:10 AM

4th qtr performances:

Wait!!!!!!!! And I thought people are saying that Clippers and Thunders are the favorites????? Well its the playoffs, and these kids have been exposed.. Time to put on those flip flops!

JJ_JKidd
04-23-2014, 04:27 AM
Haha this is what I love the NBA right now the flip flopping. All about the JOKElahoma Blunder, Flop City, Indiana, Rockets during the regular season and tend to forget the proven ones like the Spurs. But when winning time comes these teams eventually fold and so-called experts flip flop like the Spurs still got it ablah blah blah.

archdevil84
04-23-2014, 05:47 AM
i dont understand. Before the playoffs last year everyone from OKC was saying that they needed to trade WB for a petter passing PG. then came the playoffs and WB went down and durant got owned in a series against the grizz everyone was screaming how valueable westbrook was to the thunder team. Now they all say trade him again? So what is it? Do you want him or not?

PurpleLynch
04-23-2014, 08:55 AM
Trade Westbrook+Perkins+anyone from the bench you can think of to the Kings and bring in Cousins+Thomas

Thomas
Lamb
KD
Ibaka
Cousins loooooooooooooooooool

Anyway,Westbrook needs to reshape is game in a more smart way.He can be a facilitator,but he plays like a douche when playoffs start.

Dade County
04-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Wow, insecure Heat fans bringing in LeBron into a discussion that involves Kevin Durant.

SHOCKING! :speechless:

LMAO...

Trust me it has noting to do with insecurity... I honestly want to know did people try to objectively look at what Lbj was doing in those 4 games.

Instead of them saying, he was scared or he froze up. It's really obvious what Lbj did, but people for some reason, don't break it down, like the OP did for KD and West.

Chrisclover
04-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Westbrook is a ballhog.

sunsfan88
04-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Lee: More Westbrook Shots Means Fewer For Durant

Russell Westbrook went 11-for-28 in a 105-111 Oklahoma City loss to the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 2.

The Grizzlies apparently prefer a high usage rate from Westbrook because it limits the number of opportunities Kevin Durant receives.

"We're fine with Westbrook taking shots, I mean, that's kinda what you want - the more shots he takes, the less Durant takes," said Courtney Lee.

https://twitter.com/peteredmiston/status/459033103923945472

P&GRealist
04-23-2014, 03:49 PM
LMAO...

Trust me it has noting to do with insecurity... I honestly want to know did people try to objectively look at what Lbj was doing in those 4 games.

Instead of them saying, he was scared or he froze up. It's really obvious what Lbj did, but people for some reason, don't break it down, like the OP did for KD and West.
Nobody gives a **** about LeBron in this thread.

Please GTFO!

sunsfan88
04-23-2014, 03:52 PM

Probably because Westbrook is such a terrible 3pt shooter and in order to be a shooting guard, you ought to be able to shoot the ball well...

kdspurman
04-23-2014, 04:44 PM
https://twitter.com/peteredmiston/status/459033103923945472

Yep.. Anytime we've played them I say the same as Lee.

BALLER R
04-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Give Durant a big man and it's over.

DillyDill
04-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Probably because Westbrook is such a terrible 3pt shooter and in order to be a shooting guard, you ought to be able to shoot the ball well...

Not true Wade was more than able to succeed at the position despite 3 point range. So why can't Russ he's only 6"3 an inch shorter than Wade and just as explosive and fast.

mdalex24
04-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Russ can run the 2, but I think that would make the problem even worse. At the 2 Russ would have no reason to pass the ball ever again. At least at the 1 he is forced to playmake which he has greatly improved at since day 1. KD just needs to smack him up a bit like Lance Stephenson would. At the end of the day OKC needs another scorer/ playmaker similar to Harden.

Also if anyone is interested in free NBA playoff contests, theStlyesUnltd.com is hosting one until tomorrow at 6pm. Winner gets 300 dollars.

sunsfan88
04-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Not true Wade was more than able to succeed at the position despite 3 point range. So why can't Russ he's only 6"3 an inch shorter than Wade and just as explosive and fast.

Because Wade is more unselfish & understands his limitations.

DillyDill
04-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Because Wade is more unselfish & understands his limitations.

True Wade is very unselfish. But I think Russ can learn to be, he's toooooo talented to trade so he just has to change his mindset.

tht_one_guy
04-24-2014, 01:46 AM
Ok lets trade Westbrook, Perkins, and Lamb to Detroit for Jennings and Drummond and a first round draft pick

FlashBolt
04-24-2014, 02:05 AM
We need WB and he's more of an asset than a liability. I'd rather have him jacking up shots than leaving Durant alone. OKC without WB goes nowhere. When the defense is targeted towards KD the entire game, there's no way he'll have a chance. Refer to last year when KD looked helpless.