aman_13
04-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Well deserved :clap:

Goose17
04-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Very well deserved.

goingfor28
04-22-2014, 10:36 AM
No surprise. Would have rather seen a surprise teams coach win (Hornacek, Clifford, Casey) but Pop is the best coach in the nba so it's well deserved.

torocan
04-22-2014, 10:36 AM
100% agree.

Hornacek was really good, but for one of the top 4 head coaches of ALL time, it was a travesty that he had only won 2 COTY titles over 17 years.

That Pops managed to rack up the BEST regular season record in Franchise history, tied the longest win streak in Franchise history, and did it through myriad injuries coming off a heart breaking loss in the Finals all while playing NOBODY on the roster more than 30 minutes per game is not just amazing, it's simply unbelievable.

Now all he has to do is get the Spurs through the brutal Western play offs. Definitely not an easy task.

king4day
04-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Not happy about it but can't argue. No player on the team averaged 30 minutes. He found ways to keep the team playing at a high level no matter who was on the court.
I do think, had Phoenix reached the playoffs, Hornacek would have gotten it.

Crackadalic
04-22-2014, 10:41 AM
More then well deserve.

His system won 60 plus games. Are they the most talented bunch? Probably not but they know how to win with fundamental basketball and he earn it

kdspurman
04-22-2014, 10:43 AM
100% agree.

Hornacek was really good, but for one of the top 4 head coaches of ALL time, it was a travesty that he had only won 2 COTY titles over 17 years.

That Pops managed to rack up the BEST regular season record in Franchise history, tied the longest win streak in Franchise history, and did it through myriad injuries coming off a heart breaking loss in the Finals all while playing
NOBODY on the roster more than 30 minutes per game is not just amazing, it's simply unbelievable.

Now all he has to do is get the Spurs through the brutal Western play offs. Definitely not an easy task.

Which apparently has never been done before since the NBA/ABA merger. It's a testament to him getting the most out of everyone on the team and empowering the players, and putting them in the best position to be successful.

kdspurman
04-22-2014, 10:43 AM

king4day
04-22-2014, 10:45 AM
This has to be one of the closest votings for CoY.

PhillyFaninLA
04-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Very happy with the awards that have been announced

NYKnickFanatic
04-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Well deserved. Should probably win it every year, honestly.

b_russ
04-22-2014, 10:59 AM
I wish the voters would have voted like this back when Sloan coached.

R. Johnson#3
04-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Pop, Thibbs or Hornacek all deserved it in my books. I'm happy with this choice though.

arlubas
04-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Well deserved seems like an understatement for Pops. The guy is a basketball genius, pure & simple.

pebloemer
04-22-2014, 11:00 AM
They should really just give it to him every year. His consistent greatness in coaching that team never ceases to amaze me.

kdspurman
04-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Voting breakdown:

Gregg Popovich, San Antonio Spurs: 380
Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns: 339
Tom Thibodeau, Chicago Bulls: 159
Steve Clifford, Charlotte Bobcats: 127
Dwane Casey, Toronto Raptors: 70
Terry Stotts, Portland Trail Blazers: 25
Doc Rivers, Los Angeles Clippers: 13
Scott Brooks, Oklahoma Ciy Thunder: 1
Mark Jackson, Golden State Warriors: 1
Jason Kidd, Brooklyn Nets: 1

http://www.nba.com/media/042214-2013-14-NBA-Coach-of-Year-Votes.pdf

KnicksorBust
04-22-2014, 11:11 AM
I feel vindicated. http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?855315-Pop-needs-to-be-COY-Look-at-these-names&p=28359562#post28359562

ShockerArt
04-22-2014, 11:20 AM
... every season until he retired.

flea
04-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Well Pop deserves it every season. Nice to see recognition in this particular one.

ManRam
04-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Voting breakdown:

Looks good. I feel COTY is usually the hardest to really discern. But this year it seemed pretty obvious, and it didn't hurt that the game's two best coaches (Pops and Thibs) had some injuries/story lines to boost their cause.

I'd imagine if the Suns made the playoffs Hornacek would have won (not a big fan of benchmarks, tho). I think he had the most impressive coaching year. The level of which they exceeded expectations is just absurd.

But you can't deny that Pops is truly the games best coach. And since the games best coach doesn't always, or often, win this thing, I'm not gonna complain that it happened. It should happen more. He did an amazing job and truly gets the most out of guys. It's remarkable.

SteBO
04-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Obvious choice imo...never ceases to amaze me how great the man coaches. It never matters who's on the floor for them, they're going to get shots they want and their defense isn't going to suffer. That, my friends, is called great coaching.

P&GRealist
04-22-2014, 11:41 AM
After a coaching debacle in the 2013 nba finals, he wins a coy award in the 2014 regular season. :clap:

P&GRealist
04-22-2014, 11:42 AM
They should really just give it to him every year. His consistent greatness in coaching that team never ceases to amaze me.
Doc Rivers got the award in 99-00 leading the Orlando Magic to a 41-41 record and no playoffs in the east in the same yr when Phil Jackson, in his 1st season in LA, went 67-15 with a 19 game winning streak and 16 game winning streak in that same season.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Wanted Woodson to get it, but no shame in losing to Pop.

Thought Casey would get more votes though.

pebloemer
04-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Doc Rivers got the award in 99-00 leading the Orlando Magic to a 41-41 record and no playoffs in the east in the same yr when Phil Jackson, in his 1st season in LA, went 67-15 with a 19 game winning streak and 16 game winning streak in that same season.

Often is seems, the award goes to the coach that had little expected of him (or his team). I'd argue it is harder to do such a consistently fantastic job with the same team and the same players year after year than it is to get players to overachieve in a single year. That's not a knock on Hornacek - he did an unbelievable job this year as well. But I have a hard time fending off indifference being in the same job 6-7 years. It is amazing that over 18 years, Popovich maintains the same investment in his team

P&GRealist
04-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Often is seems, the award goes to the coach that had little expected of him (or his team). I'd argue it is harder to do such a consistently fantastic job with the same team and the same players year after year than it is to get players to overachieve in a single year. That's not a knock on Hornacek - he did an unbelievable job this year as well. But I have a hard time fending off indifference being in the same job 6-7 years. It is amazing that over 18 years, Popovich maintains the same investment in his team

Agree.

I still can't believe Doc got the award that yr.

black1605
04-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Voting breakdown:

Awesome to see Clifford get some love. He led an incredibly impressive turnaround.

D-Leethal
04-22-2014, 12:20 PM
COY is really the award whose criteria seems to change from year to year.

king4day
04-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Voting breakdown:

Isn't it amazing how, midway through the season, you'd think Vogel would have had a real shot at it. He's not even listed after the Pacer freefall.

kdspurman
04-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Awesome to see Clifford get some love. He led an incredibly impressive turnaround.

He's been great for sure. He's got them playing well on both ends.

Isn't it amazing how, midway through the season, you'd think Vogel would have had a real shot at it. He's not even listed after the Pacer freefall.

Yea... I mean who would have thought Jason Kidd would have a vote over him mid-season.

monty77
04-22-2014, 12:33 PM
This guy is amazing, he has been able to keep this team at top position during almost two decades, without exception. Popovic-Duncan tandem is the best coach-player couple in the regular season in the whole NBA story along with P.Jackson-M.Jordan.

Since Duncan came San Antonio they are the best team in the NBA in % winning games thougtout regular seasons. Both Popovic and Duncan (Parker and Ginobili too) know each other perfectly and have transformed the Spurs game fully. They won the first championship thanks to defense, but now the attack better than any team in the league.

The fact that they have played together for about 15 years is an advantage. They both have a deep knowledge of game and think in the same direction. This is a perfect basis to get the rest of "new" players play better. Besides San Antonio plays a smart game and have a good system to choose draft players.

They usually sign european players and there is a good reason: in Europe, most teams play diferent basket. They play like a team so european star players are not as important as americans. They play as a team because they only play one or two times a week, so they train more times and spend more time on tactical plays and situations. When this players come to San Antonio, Popovic take advantage of it. There are many cases: Ginobili, Parker, Splitter, Belinelli, Diaw...

Another thing that Popovic does perfectly is to improve players who Spurs select at the last first round spots in the Draft. Green and Leonard are the last cases, but there a a lot of european players selected in the last position too.

Consequently, this is a nice example of coach able to stablish a perfect system in order to improve as a team year after year. It explain that the team keep the same level, because this system compensates for the fact that Duncan, Ginobili and Parker are getting older and older.

mjt20mik
04-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Glad Pop won it.

pebloemer
04-22-2014, 12:40 PM
This guy is amazing, he has been able to keep this team at top position during almost two decades, without exception. Popovic-Duncan tandem is the best coach-player couple in the regular season in the whole NBA story along with P.Jackson-M.Jordan.

Since Duncan came San Antonio they are the best team in the NBA in % winning games thougtout regular seasons. Both Popovic and Duncan (Parker and Ginobili too) know each other perfectly and have transformed the Spurs game fully. They won the first championship thanks to defense, but now the attack better than any team in the league.

The fact that they have played together for about 15 years is an advantage. They both have a deep knowledge of game and think in the same direction. This is a perfect basis to get the rest of "new" players play better. Besides San Antonio plays a smart game and have a good system to choose draft players.

They usually sign european players and there is a good reason: in Europe, most teams play diferent basket. They play like a team so european star players are not as important as americans. They play as a team because they only play one or two times a week, so they train more times and spend more time on tactical plays and situations. When this players come to San Antonio, Popovic take advantage of it. There are many cases: Ginobili, Parker, Splitter, Belinelli, Diaw...

Another thing that Popovic does perfectly is to improve players who Spurs select at the last first round spots in the Draft. Green and Leonard are the last cases, but there a a lot of european players selected in the last position too.

Consequently, this is a nice example of coach able to stablish a perfect system in order to improve as a team year after year. It explain that the team keep the same level, because this system compensates for the fact that Duncan, Ginobili and Parker are getting older and older.

Leonard was a mid lottery pick I believe. Although they got that pick in trading George Hill, who himself was a late first round pick that they drafted and developed, so your point still is well made ;).

ghettosean
04-22-2014, 12:57 PM
It's funny but coach of the year is a little bit of an understatement to be honest for him... More like coach of the decade...

Either way well deserved!

JasonJohnHorn
04-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Interesting fact: Popovich is the ONLY coach to win the award three times with the same team!

P&GRealist
04-22-2014, 01:02 PM
:yawn:

Stinkyoutsider
04-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Well deserved for one of the greatest coaches...

His ability to motivate and get the most out of every player he coaches is amazing. I would have thought players like Danny Green didn't have much of a future in the NBA but Pop has turned him into a starting caliber wing player.

I hope Pop wants to do what Riley and Jackson did and become a president of basketball operations. I know if I was an owner, I would sleep well knowing Pop was running my team.

bleedprple&gold
04-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Wanted Woodson to get it, but no shame in losing to Pop.

Thought Casey would get more votes though.

Woodson? Lol you mean the guy that just got canned? He belongs at the bottom with Mike DAntoni.

FYL_McVeezy
04-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Well deserved. Excellence at it's finest.....

kdspurman
04-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Still amazed R.C. Buford has never won Exec of the Year

FlashBolt
04-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Pop should have won at least 10 of these. Just an amazing coach. If I was a player, I would rather play for him than anyone else.

torocan
04-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Still amazed R.C. Buford has never won Exec of the Year

R.C Buford is a great Executive, but he's kind of stuck in "no man's" land in terms of the EOY.

-Parker, Duncan and Ginobili were all drafted prior to his becoming the GM
-The Spurs have never had a lottery pick during his tenure
-The Spurs have never made a block buster trade in his tenure
-The Spurs were already great when he started

EOY tends to favor Executives who either turn around bad teams or make huge roster splashes. And unfortunately Buford has never been in the position of being on a bad team or was in the position to make a huge roster splash. This kind of sticks him in the unfortunate position of always being an "also ran" in the EOY voting, fairly or unfairly.

I wouldn't be shocked if he picked up an EOY more as a sympathy vote at some point, but it's hard to see him getting the EOY without some luck.

P&GRealist
04-22-2014, 02:32 PM
EOTY should go to Doc and how he's brought on guys like Reddick, Dudley, Baby, Turkey and Granger. It was thought that by trading Bledsoe away, the Clips would fall. But the Collison signing is very underrated IMO.

kdspurman
04-22-2014, 02:42 PM
R.C Buford is a great Executive, but he's kind of stuck in "no man's" land in terms of the EOY.

-Parker, Duncan and Ginobili were all drafted prior to his becoming the GM
-The Spurs have never had a lottery pick during his tenure
-The Spurs have never made a block buster trade in his tenure
-The Spurs were already great when he started

EOY tends to favor Executives who either turn around bad teams or make huge roster splashes. And unfortunately Buford has never been in the position of being on a bad team or was in the position to make a huge roster splash. This kind of sticks him in the unfortunate position of always being an "also ran" in the EOY voting, fairly or unfairly.

I wouldn't be shocked if he picked up an EOY more as a sympathy vote at some point, but it's hard to see him getting the EOY without some luck.

Yea I get that for sure. I just think he and Pop are kind of in it together, he's just more behind the scenes. Like trading away George Hill for Kawhi Leonard was something that's not considered a huge roster splash, but it was big for this team. And like trading away RJ for Stephen Jackson. So while not huge moves, and other moves dwarf these not necessarily in impact, but rather the names/players involved, they were still significant.

It's tough to reward consistency in this league. Especially when you have teams that are terrible and come back and have a good year, it makes it seem like an easy choice. Or when someone signs the biggest names in the offseason or something. Maybe they should have a come back team of the year or something like that idk... Just seems strange cause he's a big reason for the sustained success.

Then again, there are a lot of guys who should have received awards and haven't. Just the way it goes

Red_Pill
04-22-2014, 02:59 PM

Congrats to Pop. He earned it. Such an amazing coach.

MrfadeawayJB
04-22-2014, 04:52 PM
No argument here. Thought voter fatigue would open it up for hornacek though

Jeffy25
04-22-2014, 04:58 PM
well deserved

Kyben36
04-22-2014, 05:13 PM
One of the best in the NBA, never really paid attention but what coaches were in the running

P&GRealist
04-22-2014, 06:33 PM
On this day, if Gregg Popovich told me to SUCK HIM.

I would. :o

slashsnake
04-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Another clear cut good choice in the awards. Durant should get MVP which he deserves... 6th man is the only real debatable one and that always is.

NBA_Starter
04-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Well deserved :clap:

Raps18-19 Champ
04-22-2014, 10:32 PM
P4P, GOAT coach.

Avenged
04-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Not happy about it but can't argue. No player on the team averaged 30 minutes. He found ways to keep the team playing at a high level no matter who was on the court.
I do think, had Phoenix reached the playoffs, Hornacek would have gotten it.

Why wouldn't you be happy the most deserving and best coach in the league finally won it!

TrueFan420
04-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Why wouldn't you be happy the most deserving and best coach in the league finally won it!

Cause he is a suns fan and want his coach to get it.

TrueFan420
04-23-2014, 11:15 AM
I saw this and was dying...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/ginobili-returns-to-practice-hours-after-son-s-birth-but-pop-s-not-impressed-042214

After manu ducks out for his sons birth then is back at practice 30 minutes later.

"I told him, 'Manu, you didn't do anything," Popovich declared. "Your wife is efficient. You're not efficient. You didn't do anything.'"

MonroeFAN
04-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Pretty ridiculous that Frank Vogel's name isn't even mentioned, collapse or not.

I don't know if I agree with Jeff Hornacek being placed so high. They were definitely impressive, but a lot of teams were.

But this was an easy choice, in POP we trust.