PDA

View Full Version : Former NBA player who spent 12 seasons in league: "I'm Homeless"

MetroMan
04-22-2014, 02:06 AM
What an idiot. He blew $40 million dollars and now is crying hes broke. what a dick

Former NBA player Eric Williams -- who spent 12 seasons in league -- says he is homeless and broke this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ Sports.
Williams -- who also appeared on "Basketball Wives" -- made the shocking statements in a letter he wrote to a Colorado court recently explaining why he could not attend a child support hearing in CO earlier this month.

Among the reasons, Williams says a "court-ordered citation for me to appear was not delivered to my home address as I have no home."

Williams -- who's on the hook for more than $24k in unpaid support to the mother of his 13-year-old son -- also says his financial situation is so dire, he can't afford airfare and has no money to pay a lawyer.

In his letter, Williams says he is currently a volunteer at an unnamed non-profit organization -- and says, "I'm in the rebuilding stages of my life."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/21/ex-nba-player-eric-williams-im-homeless/#ixzz2zangyGwJ

Crackadalic
04-22-2014, 02:09 AM
It's not your pocket but your mindset that makes you broke

A lot of these guys are not taught on managing money.

Nothing wrong with spending money but doing it recklessly is fatal

Slug3
04-22-2014, 02:12 AM
NBA/NFL/MLB and others need to make rookies take some sort of financial/Money management class their rookie years or something. This is crazy. 40 million? AI over 150 million is broke, A. Walker over 100 million is broke. I mean idiots they are. But still, doesn't he get a monthly veteran pay or something?

OaklandsFinest
04-22-2014, 02:31 AM
NBA/NFL/MLB and others need to make rookies take some sort of financial/Money management class their rookie years or something. This is crazy. 40 million? AI over 150 million is broke, A. Walker over 100 million is broke. I mean idiots they are. But still, doesn't he get a monthly veteran pay or something?

The league shouldn't MAKE these guys do anything. I swear as somebody who grew up in a community that sent more players to the NBA than most others in the 90's (Oakland, Ca) these guys have to want to never be broke again. I think half of em just keep spending because they feel more comfortable broke because their used to it. This lack of self responsibility has run rampant in American culture and its ruining our society. Good I'm glad Eric Williams is broke, because he was over paid in the first place jk. But seriously, I see how it happens, but damn take some responsibility and stop blaming ignorance. Thats not an excuse.

*Superman*
04-22-2014, 02:49 AM
Ridiculous. It's hard to feel sorry for someone who's seen that much cash in their life.

Jeffy25
04-22-2014, 03:06 AM

A lot of it is trusting the wrong people with your money too.

Everybody wants a piece of these guys when they become rich.

Women, friends, old coaches, family, etc.

Anyone they have ever known basically wants some of it for 'helping them' along the way.

And nobody really protects them or is looking out for their best interests

Duncan = Donkey
04-22-2014, 03:15 AM
lol, thats hilarious.

slashsnake
04-22-2014, 03:42 AM

The vet pay kicks in at 62. Then he gets a minimum right now of $62k a year, max of $195k a year. And what's really nice... 401k Matches 140%!

I think there is a symposium thing for rookies and I am sure there are LOTS of available financial management classes out there. But you can't force them to go. And I remember hearing with Antoine, he wanted to live like Jordan. Unfortunately, while he was getting a very nice salary, he didn't have a deal with Nike/Gatoraide/Hanes that would last through his retirement like Jordan. That's why Jordan is now able to pay an NBA teams salaries and Walker is broke.

amos1er
04-22-2014, 06:44 AM
Why can't these guys just give me like $50,000. I mean, they are just gonna blow it anyways. Might as well give it to someone who knows what to do with it and will appreciate it... Me

MetroMan
04-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Why can't these guys just give me like $50,000. I mean, they are just gonna blow it anyways. Might as well give it to someone who knows what to do with it and will appreciate it... Me

do you take cash or check?

:p

PhillyFaninLA
04-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Why the heck do you some of you get joy out of this...pathetic

effen5
Sometimes I feel like every NBA player will go broke since most of them won't have a future after the NBA. I work across the street from Derrick, and seriously, I think he has 4 Rolls Royce's. 3 For sure....I mean what the ****.

Vinylman
Paul Pierce will be the next big name to go belly up...

Give it 5-6 years

ScottFromCanada
04-22-2014, 08:17 AM
He didn't enter the NBA until he was 23 and he went to college for 2 + years so much for the NBA stupid new rule.

D-Leethal
04-22-2014, 09:29 AM

The NBA offers free courses for anyone who wants to take them about how to use the millions you make in the short shelf-life of the NBA to last the rest of your life. I remember an article posted on here that quoted Andrew Bogut who was lambasted "The Americans" in the NBA because none of them take it.

Kelly Gruber
04-22-2014, 11:03 AM
The NBA offers free courses for anyone who wants to take them about how to use the millions you make in the short shelf-life of the NBA to last the rest of your life. I remember an article posted on here that quoted Andrew Bogut who was lambasted "The Americans" in the NBA because none of them take it.

There's a 30 for 30 called "Broke" that delves into this topic. Yes, there are courses that are at their disposal and some NFL teams make it mandatory.

Basically it comes down to wanting to be a big shot (bling, cars, houses you can't pay for), bad investments (your cousin wants $10,000 to open up a yogurt shop), and supporting a lot of people (family shows up for handouts).

It's hard to feel sorry for them, but that documentary helped me understand it a bit better.

SportsFanatic10
04-22-2014, 12:03 PM

lol i think about scenarios like that from time to time to. i think this is a first, finally something we can agree on!

John Walls Era
04-22-2014, 01:18 PM
They could always hire someone to look after their money.

TheMightyHumph
04-22-2014, 06:06 PM
They could always hire someone to look after their money.

Sometimes that doesn't work out well either.

NBA_Starter
04-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Sometimes that doesn't work out well either.

Exactly sometimes its the worst idea.

todu82
04-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Sad to hear this but really with all the money these guys make they can easily put away a couple million to keep them going for their retirement.

Shlumpledink
04-22-2014, 10:02 PM
There is no excuse

Kushed
04-22-2014, 10:11 PM
All in all, we've never been in these guys shoes. We've never had that much money. We don't know what we'd do with it. We don't know the struggles he had. Is it bad to blow through that much money? Absolutely but these stories are just sad and it's idiotic for you guys to question him when you don't know anything about the circumstances

freejimmer
04-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Eric Williams was taken to the cleaners by that money grubber on Basketball Wives.

She was sick.

I feel bad for him.

king4day
04-22-2014, 10:20 PM

A reason why players should be forced to stay a couple of years in college. The second year should be about learning these life lessons.

Kushed
04-22-2014, 10:26 PM
A reason why players should be forced to stay a couple of years in college. The second year should be about learning these life lessons.

These guys make their own decisions. It's stupid that people think we should make players go to school. If they don't value an education then it is what it is.

goingfor28
04-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Ridiculous. It's hard to feel sorry for someone who's seen that much cash in their life.

Yup

goingfor28
04-22-2014, 10:31 PM

Or just don't be stupid

Kyben36
04-22-2014, 10:37 PM
NO SYMPATHY. 40 MIL is the equivalant of the average salary of the american household (51,000) x 784, that means if he lived off of 8 average household salaries a year, he could live off of 408,000 a year, for 98 years of his life.

sep11ie
04-22-2014, 10:43 PM
Lol, a man old enough to enlist in our military but uses a god given talent to make multi millions of dollars should be forced to take money management classes? There is Obama's America.

Jenceman
04-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Lol, a man old enough to enlist in our military but uses a god given talent to make multi millions of dollars should be forced to take money management classes? There is Obama's America.

I always wondered how crazy people made connections like this.

ScottFromCanada
04-22-2014, 11:45 PM

He did stay in college for a couple of years if anything this shows that the NBA age restriction rule is dumb.

JayW_1023
04-23-2014, 04:32 PM
If I made 40 million I wouldn't even move. I would just put the whole shebang on a savings account and live out a modest life without ever working again.

imagesrdecievin
04-23-2014, 06:21 PM
It isn't just pro athletes. Why is reading Shakespeare and knowing the Pythagorean theorem mandatory in HS but balancing a check book not?

It's not that I am discrediting the need for a well rounded education but it seems to me like there should be a priority on rate-shopping, credit scores and the effect of compounding interest.

JC_
04-23-2014, 07:51 PM

I think "force" is a strong word but I'm not sure why you'd consider that a bad thing. Lots of jobs require special training. Guys should be happy to have that kind of knowledge.