PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think Shaq hates Howard so much?

Riodagoat
04-21-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm not really sure what it is. You can tell whenever he's on TV, radio, whatever the case may be, every time something about Howard comes out of Shaq's mouth, he just can't wait to bag on the guy. Even if he sometimes compliments him, it usually is a back handed compliment.

I hate Howard just as much as the other guy, but I don't get what his real reason is for hating on this guy. I wish at some point he would just shut up. I think people already know he hates Howard.

What do you think his real reason is?

NYJ - NYY
04-21-2014, 03:00 PM
There can only be one superman

ThuglifeJ
04-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Obvious reasons.

ManRam
04-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Because he's Shaq :shrug:

It's ShoTime
04-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Who wouldn't want to bag on Howard?

ThuglifeJ
04-21-2014, 03:09 PM
He doesn't want to be replaced. Which clearly he didnt. But really its annoying when we love Shaq otherwise. But obviously he has ego probs...a bit selfish to hate on a player so much just to slightly increase your impact

SPURSFAN1
04-21-2014, 03:12 PM
I don't think shaq hates on howard. Now chuck hates the spurs and specially tim duncan.

0nekhmer
04-21-2014, 03:17 PM
It's a ego thing

Lakers + Giants
04-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Yea, I really do think it's because Shaq doesn't like that he is "superman" and the fact that people compared D12 to shaq for being drafted by ORL and then being a laker. That's just my guess. He doesn't want anything to do with howard, so he criticizes him to the max to show that he is no comparison to shaq.

NYKnickFanatic
04-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Obvious answer, because he stole his nickname.

ManRam
04-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Who wouldn't want to bag on Howard?

In Dwight's defense, Shaq has been doing this from day one...day one being a time when EVERYONE like Dwight. When he was the fun-loving, christian, happy-go-lucky dude. I don't think it has anything to do with his personality.

NYKnickFanatic
04-21-2014, 03:23 PM
I don't think shaq hates on howard. Now chuck hates the spurs and specially tim duncan.

Chuck hates the Knicks lol.

Hangtime
04-21-2014, 03:24 PM
I don't know if Shaq just "hates" the guy but he's openly critical of him because Dwight is perceived as the league's best big man and he doesn't dominate on a consistent basis against what Shaq see as lesser competition. Shaq believes big men should set a certain standard like those that came before him. Personally I think Shaq is too harsh on him but a lot of BS comes out of Shaq's mouth in regards to a lot players so I don't put much stock in anything he says.

MonroeFAN
04-21-2014, 03:34 PM
Because Shaq is a hater.

Seems pretty obvious.

JeremiahWing
04-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Because Shaq is one of the greatest of all-time and Howard is an above-average pro with a mouth like he's in Shaq's league.

lol, please
04-21-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm not really sure what it is. You can tell whenever he's on TV, radio, whatever the case may be, every time something about Howard comes out of Shaq's mouth, he just can't wait to bag on the guy. Even if he sometimes compliments him, it usually is a back handed compliment.

I hate Howard just as much as the other guy, but I don't get what his real reason is for hating on this guy. I wish at some point he would just shut up. I think people already know he hates Howard.

There can only be one.

And from Shaqs perspective, Howard is near an embarassment to the position, and I don't blame him for looking at Howard like a peasant, Howard couldn't walk a foot in Shaqs Reebok Pumps.

Shlumpledink
04-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Because Shaq sees Dwight getting a lot of praise for his abilities, when they are far lower than Shaq's own abilities. Shaq has always been a very sensitive person, and prone to jealousy. Dwight being heralded as the best bigman has made him a target of Shaq, until there is a new best bigman to challenge Shaq's ego.

Maybe Shaq doesn't like that the best bigman in the game is a faceup bigman, maybe Shaq doesn't think that is what centers are supposed to be, since Shaq has always held great respect for the bigmen of the game, and is more of a traditional center, compared to dwight.

TrueFan420
04-21-2014, 03:51 PM

Chuck hates on the warriors too. I remember the we believe Baron Davis team. Chuck called us a bunch of munchkins cause we played small ball and I'm sitting there thinking... Dude was a 6-4 pf who's he calling munchkins.

mngopher35
04-21-2014, 03:57 PM
following the same path (orlando to LA) and taking the nickname superman?

Doesn't seem like much but it has lead to some comparisons and players tend to have egos...

Pierzynski4Prez
He wants to make it impossible for D12 to ever be mentioned with the word dominant. That's why does this 28/15 every time. He know Dwight will never score that much, so keeps saying that is a like a requirement. Even though shaq never rebounded over 14 a game.

MonroeFAN
Dwight doesn't get any of this praise any of you are talking about.

You gonna judge the guy forever over some comments he made 2 years ago? Jesus, playing for the Lakers is probably the worst decision anyone could ever make.

JeremiahWing
04-21-2014, 04:10 PM
And from Shaqs perspective, Howard is near an embarassment to the position, and I don't blame him for looking at Howard like a peasant, Howard couldn't walk a foot in Shaqs Reebok Pumps.

Yep.

ghettosean
04-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Because of the comparisons of Howard to Shaq... there not even close aside from Howard being the best big man in the league for a few years but never close to the dominance shaq had on the entire league.... not even close!

John Walls Era
04-21-2014, 04:12 PM
Hes just truth telling.

Phenom1
04-21-2014, 04:22 PM
For the guy that said playing for the lakers is one of the worst decision you can make..wth are you thinking haha thats only true if you cant handle expectations.

And as much as i hate him, you can't blame Howard for playing for the lakers cuz he was traded there and its not like he forced his way there. He had other choices.

As for Shaq hating on him cuz hes considered as the best bigman right now, thats not really not true. Shaq never hated Bynum when bynum was dominating and considered one of the best at the time. I think it's just Howard never meeting Shaq's expectations.

SeoulBeatz
04-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Because Shaq knows Dwight is capable of so much more.

Dwight puts up great numbers, I think he's the 2nd best C in the league behind Noah, but he just never fully developed his game. He has the frame/athleticism to be an all-time great but he just doesn't have any touch and disappears from games far too often.

Whereas Shaq was the most dominant big man of his generation and every time he was in the post you'd have to triple team him. He was THAT dominant. Watching old tape of Shaq is unreal, there's no way any defender in the league could handle him one on one.

That's certainly not the case with Howard, I often forget he's on the court when the Rockets play.

ManRam
04-21-2014, 04:25 PM
He wants to make it impossible for D12 to ever be mentioned with the word dominant. That's why does this 28/15 every time. He know Dwight will never score that much, so keeps saying that is a like a requirement. Even though shaq never rebounded over 14 a game.

Among other things said in that silly halftime rant (like, "he's 7-1 and can jump 50 inches off the ground...:laugh:) I think his arbitrary statistical threshold here was silly as well. Dwight did go 27-16 in his last playoffs with Orlando (short ride, however). He's averaged 14 rebounds for his playoff career. So he's been close to those numbers and the rebounds part is certainly silly. 20-14 for his career is pretty darn solid. Should he have scored more with Orlando? Maybe (I always argued that the offense shouldn't run through him), but the notion that he's been a slouch is silly. My issue with the Dwight narratives is that people have seemingly caught amnesia in regards to how great he once was.

I think the biggest issue is that Shaq, and many others, still thinks Dwight can be that same guy. They still demand him to be the obvious-best center in the league. False expectations have led to a lot of sketchy narratives. Dwight isn't what he once was...people need to stop demanding that. Other silly comments that get brought up now are the ones pretending like he never was the great player he was (though, obviously, never Shaq-good, nor what Shaq skewered him for not being).

Dwight never was nor will be the offensive force Shaq was. But what he has been is a better rebounded and a better defender (at least statistically) in his playoff prime. I think that was good enough. He got a very shaky Orlando team to the Finals, which is no small feat. Went through LeBron's Cavs and the C's (yes, without a key player, but Orlando was down an AS that year too). The only reason I "defend" him lately is when I feel like people are becoming forgetful of how great he was...or who skewer him for not being that same player....or insinuate that this is the type of player he always was...and so on.

Dwight made serious improvements later on in his Magic career offensively. The injury has sapped him of many of those. He is what he is at this point, and I don't think it's for a lack of passion, effort or desire. He put in work in Orlando to improve...but not everyone can be hyper-skilled.

RaiderLakersA's
04-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Because of the comparisons of Howard to Shaq... there not even close aside from Howard being the best big man in the league for a few years but never close to the dominance shaq had on the entire league.... not even close!

That's how I see it, too.

I get tired of hearing Shaq dump on Dwight "The Peasant" Howard, but I can certainly see why Shaq does it. Let's not pretend that Shaq didn't get his fair share of criticism, too, back in the day. The only difference is that none of the Mt. Rushmore Big Men had a microphone under their chin 24/7 like Shaq does now. Whatever the fine line between detractor and bully is, I'm pretty sure Shaq aims to tread it.

P&GRealist
04-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Howard was being celebrated before doing ****. He didn't deserve the Superman moniker. Just because you dress up as Superman during a meaningless dunk contest doesn't make you Superman.

THE MTL
04-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Because Howard called himself "Superman". Its the only reason. Shaq can be a little b****tch.

JeremiahWing
04-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Among other things said in that silly halftime rant (like, "he's 7-1 and can jump 50 inches off the ground...:laugh:) I think his arbitrary statistical threshold here was silly as well. Dwight did go 27-16 in his last playoffs with Orlando (short ride, however). He's averaged 14 rebounds for his playoff career. So he's been close to those numbers and the rebounds part is certainly silly. 20-14 for his career is pretty darn solid. Should he have scored more with Orlando? Maybe (I always argued that the offense shouldn't run through him), but the notion that he's been a slouch is silly. My issue with the Dwight narratives is that people have seemingly caught amnesia in regards to how great he once was.

I think the biggest issue is that Shaq, and many others, still thinks Dwight can be that same guy. They still demand him to be the obvious-best center in the league. False expectations have led to a lot of sketchy narratives. Dwight isn't what he once was...people need to stop demanding that. Other silly comments that get brought up now are the ones pretending like he never was the great player he was (though, obviously, never Shaq-good, nor what Shaq skewered him for not being).

Dwight never was nor will be the offensive force Shaq was. But what he has been is a better rebounded and a better defender (at least statistically) in his playoff prime. I think that was good enough. He got a very shaky Orlando team to the Finals, which is no small feat. Went through LeBron's Cavs and the C's (yes, without a key player, but Orlando was down an AS that year too). The only reason I "defend" him lately is when I feel like people are becoming forgetful of how great he was...or who skewer him for not being that same player....or insinuate that this is the type of player he always was...and so on.

Dwight made serious improvements later on in his Magic career offensively. The injury has sapped him of many of those. He is what he is at this point, and I don't think it's for a lack of passion, effort or desire. He put in work in Orlando to improve...but not everyone can be hyper-skilled.

Honest question: Do you think the way Dwight has behaved the last few offseasons has anything to do with the expectations people give him? It's his own damn fault he gets dumped on, IMO.

Trwood12
04-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Just look at the paralles between them. Superman, magic, Lakers. He thinks Howard is trying to be the next Shaq and he doesn't like it. Knowing Shaq though it is probably only half as serious as he lets it on to be. Which isn't much in the first place. Most of it is just for fun.

slashsnake
04-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Just look at the paralles between them. Superman, magic, Lakers. He thinks Howard is trying to be the next Shaq and he doesn't like it. Knowing Shaq though it is probably only half as serious as he lets it on to be. Which isn't much in the first place. Most of it is just for fun.

I have to agree there.. I think it probably was friendly ribbing with a little frustration at too many writers making that comparison without noting also that Shaq was much more dominant that went into more when Dwight responded...

slashsnake
04-21-2014, 10:52 PM
Among other things said in that silly halftime rant (like, "he's 7-1 and can jump 50 inches off the ground...:laugh:) I think his arbitrary statistical threshold here was silly as well. Dwight did go 27-16 in his last playoffs with Orlando (short ride, however). He's averaged 14 rebounds for his playoff career. So he's been close to those numbers and the rebounds part is certainly silly. 20-14 for his career is pretty darn solid.

Dwight never was nor will be the offensive force Shaq was. But what he has been is a better rebounded and a better defender (at least statistically) in his playoff prime. I think that was good enough.

Not sure about the playoff prime bit. The 27-15 was a single first round series. He also had .5 assists and 1.8 blocks.

Shaq in 39 playoff games over back to back playoff series averaged 30.5, 15.5 with 3.2 assists and 2.4 blocks. Early in his career in one series he put up 28-13, with 6.5 assists and 3 blocks... against Hakeem Olajuwon, who no offense to Horford, but was a better defensive center.

In a finals series he had 33 points 16 boards, 5 assists and 3.5 blocks... against Dikembe Motumbo, who also was fairly decent on defense.

I think Shaq had some series where his teams talent allowed him to not have to be a dominant force all the time. But when he needed to turn it on he was amazing. Dwight on the other hand has had to be at his top level every single game.

And you are dead on about people forgetting prime Dwight. I think the same thing happened with prime Shaq. We all remember 350 lb, bad knees, plodding Shaq. Whenever I do that I throw on some classic Shaq running the break in Orlando and outrunning point guards down the floor with the ball in his hands. I really like Dwight too, but Shaq was on another level, especially offensively.

TheMightyHumph
04-21-2014, 10:53 PM

The reason is that Shaq is an idiot

Chrisclover
04-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Because Shaq is a better center and a HOFer and Howard regresses. Simple. Older guys like to criticize the younger ones.

Chrisclover
04-21-2014, 11:45 PM
Yea, I really do think it's because Shaq doesn't like that he is "superman" and the fact that people compared D12 to shaq for being drafted by ORL and then being a laker. That's just my guess. He doesn't want anything to do with howard, so he criticizes him to the max to show that he is no comparison to shaq.

He is sending a message that he is nowhere near being a coward.

Kelly Gruber
04-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Ego and Dwight Howard has no heart or humility. Shaq's still a gentleman, Howard a brat.