PDA

View Full Version : Are big guys taking back the NBA?

beyourself
04-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Remember how everybody said the NBA was transitioning to 7 seconds or less? How it was becoming a completely guard dominated league. That's not true anymore. Almost every playoff team's most important player is a big guy.

Wizards need Gortat and NeNe
Blazers go as far as LMA takes them
Rockets go as far as Howard takes them (probably not very far, lol)
Spurs most important player is still Duncan
Mavs most important player is still Dirk
Thunder's most important player is Durant, but he can play PF and spends some minutes there. Still he's a perimeter player, but the Thunder aren't winning Jack unless Ibaka holds down the defense.
Heat's most important player is a PF named LeBron. He didn't win jack until he moved to PF and started playing more down low.
Bobcats most important player is Jefferson
Bulls most important player is Noah
Clippers go as far as Griffin takes them
Grizz go as far as Randolph and Gasol take them

So the only teams relying on the little guys to carry them are the Warriors, Raptors and Hawks.

chi-townlove1
04-21-2014, 09:55 AM
While you make sense, there's plenty of other ways you could have put this. Your little snide remarks about Howard and Lebron are so subliminal, but it's like we all know what's being said. While I tend to agree that yes big men are beginning to prosper again, I disagree with many of your points. Try wording things differently before you get the rest of the guys tearing your head off. Just a fair warning.

beyourself
04-21-2014, 09:58 AM
While you make sense, there's plenty of other ways you could have put this. Your little snide remarks about Howard and Lebron are so subliminal, but it's like we all know what's being said. While I tend to agree that yes big men are beginning to prosper again, I disagree with many of your points. Try wording things differently before you get the rest of the guys tearing your head off. Just a fair warning.

How did I take a shot at LeBron? Winning titles is hard. I never discredited his titles in this post. I said he needed to move to PF to win a title and he did. What's so insulting about that? That's a compliment if anything to evolve your game for the better.

And Howard I took a shot at him because he's a crybaby. That's all.

chi-townlove1
04-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Lebron still guards most wing players, typically the best player on the court. He still plays the 3 a ton, but yes is capable of moving to the four. And Howard is a crybaby and I hate him, but that team depends on harden the same if not more than Howard.

beyourself
04-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Lebron still guards most wing players, typically the best player on the court. He still plays the 3 a ton, but yes is capable of moving to the four. And Howard is a crybaby and I hate him, but that team depends on harden the same if not more than Howard.

For what it's worth LeBron has spent 82% of his minutes at PF the past 2 seasons and he's a more effective team player at the PF. I mean he just is. The reality is he's a stretch 4 with his most effective sets being in the high post or low post.

MonroeFAN
04-21-2014, 11:45 AM
PF in a small ball line up does not = big guy in my book.

But bigs are becoming more important, definitely.

THE MTL
04-21-2014, 12:12 PM
For what it's worth LeBron has spent 82% of his minutes at PF the past 2 seasons and he's a more effective team player at the PF. I mean he just is. The reality is he's a stretch 4 with his most effective sets being in the high post or low post.

Do u watch James play? Sure his listed position might say PF, but he is running PG half the time he's on the court. Heat pretty much play positionless basketball.

ScottFromCanada
04-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Remember how everybody said the NBA was transitioning to 7 seconds or less? How it was becoming a completely guard dominated league. That's not true anymore. Almost every playoff team's most important player is a big guy.

Wizards need Gortat and NeNe
Blazers go as far as LMA takes them
Rockets go as far as Howard takes them (probably not very far, lol)
Spurs most important player is still Duncan
Mavs most important player is still Dirk
Thunder's most important player is Durant, but he can play PF and spends some minutes there. Still he's a perimeter player, but the Thunder aren't winning Jack unless Ibaka holds down the defense.
Heat's most important player is a PF named LeBron. He didn't win jack until he moved to PF and started playing more down low.
Bobcats most important player is Jefferson
Bulls most important player is Noah
Clippers go as far as Griffin takes them
Grizz go as far as Randolph and Gasol take them

So the only teams relying on the little guys to carry them are the Warriors, Raptors and Hawks.

People mean that the traditional big man is dying not big men in general. Also, you could argue that the Raptors do rely on Valuncunias at least that was the case last game.

Stinkyoutsider
04-21-2014, 12:35 PM
I hope the bigs are coming back. I'd be nice to see consistent low post scoring and ball rotations on passes out of the post.

bucketss
04-21-2014, 12:58 PM
you forgot jonas valanciaunas

beyourself
04-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Do u watch James play? Sure his listed position might say PF, but he is running PG half the time he's on the court. Heat pretty much play positionless basketball.

That's why I said stretch 4. And if you remember Cleveland LeBron where he was listed as a SF and played like a SF you will notice the difference. He is a much less perimeter oriented player now than what he used to be.

PurpleLynch
04-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Your idea is too general for me. There a lot of factors to consider,like big men expanding their range and their passing skill or playoffs more suited to a slow pace game since no one can sustain a NBA po run with the 7 secs or less.
Big men will always be important,just like every other role in a bball team. Simply,the "traditional" big man is disappearing(the last one was Shaq)and the poor offense on the low post of a lot of centers is a proof.

Goose17
04-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Lebron is as much of a PF as Harrison Barnes. Playing the 4 in a small ball lineup does not make you a big man, there's a lot of positionless basketball these days.

I don't think big men are taking it back, at least, not the like the big men we knew, it's mostly a different style with a few exceptions.

I think the reason we're seeing a lot of playoff teams having big men as key players is because they're so rare, if you have an Al Jefferson on offense or a Joakim Noah on defense you're going to have some serious match ups in your favor. They're starting to make a come back that's for sure, guards and wing players still run this league though, for the most part.

Another thing worth mentioning about 3/4 of the guys you mentioned are also excellent passers for their position, when you have a big man that can pass the ball well and create plays it adds a whole other dimension to your game. Look at the way Curry and Lee played against the Clippers, every time they doubled Steph he would pull the defense as far back as he could, fire the ball into Lee and then Lee would either create a shot for himself or pass it off to someone else for an easy bucket. Look at the way Blake played while CP3 was out, he had a total of 95 assists in November and December, then when CP3 went out, he had 111 over two months. Big men who can pass just make a team so much more dangerous.

P.S you forgot Millsap and Bogut.

R. Johnson#3
04-21-2014, 02:14 PM
DeMar and Lowry are the first two options for the Raps but as game 1 dictated they could look to JV first if the matchups are right.

beyourself
04-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Lebron is as much of a PF as Harrison Barnes. Playing the 4 in a small ball lineup does not make you a big man, there's a lot of positionless basketball these days.

I don't think big men are taking it back, at least, not the like the big men we knew, it's mostly a different style with a few exceptions.

I think the reason we're seeing a lot of playoff teams having big men as key players is because they're so rare, if you have an Al Jefferson on offense or a Joakim Noah on defense you're going to have some serious match ups in your favor. They're starting to make a come back that's for sure, guards and wing players still run this league though, for the most part.

Another thing worth mentioning about 3/4 of the guys you mentioned are also excellent passers for their position, when you have a big man that can pass the ball well and create plays it adds a whole other dimension to your game. Look at the way Curry and Lee played against the Clippers, every time they doubled Steph he would pull the defense as far back as he could, fire the ball into Lee and then Lee would either create a shot for himself or pass it off to someone else for an easy bucket. Look at the way Blake played while CP3 was out, he had a total of 95 assists in November and December, then when CP3 went out, he had 111 over two months. Big men who can pass just make a team so much more dangerous.

P.S you forgot Millsap and Bogut.

My entire premise though was let's ignore what the nonplayoff teams are doing. Since they aren't "running" anything in this league. Just about every playoff team in the league is heavily reliant on their big men.

Goose17
04-21-2014, 02:29 PM
My entire premise though was let's ignore what the nonplayoff teams are doing. Since they aren't "running" anything in this league. Just about every playoff team in the league is heavily reliant on their big men.

I don't know. Blake without CP3, Bogut without Curry, Duncan without Parker, Howard without Harden, LMA without Lillard, Gortat without Wall.

The teams are much better with those big men and they are a key component. But they wouldn't be in the playoffs without their guards, or at the very least would drop a few seeds.

I would say every playoff team is reliant on everyone doing their job more than anything else, they need their two way wing man as much as they need their big man defending in the paint, they need their point guard running the offense as much as they need their big man posting up.