PDA

View Full Version : The Dwight Howard We Once Knew Is Gone Forever

P&GRealist
04-20-2014, 11:10 PM
The aura of Dwight Howard, the larger than life athlete, that presence you used to feel about him on the court, that beastliness, that man-child presence, is gone.

This has nothing to do with how he left Orlando or Los Angeles. As a Laker fan, I'm over it.

But when I'm watching the games, I can't even tell that he's on the court sometimes. He used to be huge, he had large size, his body mass would cover up the width of the majority of the paint. But now, physically he's gotten so small that sometimes I mistake him for Terrence Jones. Those 2 guys look alike (only Dwight has a few inches on him).

I no longer see that superman type of blocks, him being able to push guys out of the paint, that decisiveness on the offensive end, the ability to finish around the rim like he once used to.

Once upon a time from I would say 2008-2010/2011, I would call him a top 3 or 4 player along the likes of LeBron, Chris Paul and Kobe. He was probably the 2nd most impactful player of the new generation era behind LeBron. If franchises were starting their team, Dwight would be a top 2 or 3 pick. Some yrs ago, even Phil said that out of everyone in the league no named Kobe, he would start his team with Dwight Howard.

That time is gone, and he looks like a shell of his former self, and he has now hit basically the end of his 10th yr.

I would say that the back surgery and shoulder injury last yr did him damage, but I never knew it would affect him so much explosively on both ends of the floor. I also feel he has become much mentally weaker. HE used to be the guy pushing guys around, and now I see him in stretches of a game where he gets pushed around.

I don't know, I miss seeing that dominant, exciting, superhuman man-child Dwight Howard that we once used to know.

Mr_Jones
04-20-2014, 11:17 PM
He did look bigger in the past. I'm not sure why. I know he lost like an inch after having that surgery but he doesn't look anywhere near as big. Maybe it's just in my head.

Avenged
04-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Gone but never forgotten.

Supreme LA
04-20-2014, 11:22 PM
He's no where near the force he used to be but even then he was really only dominant for about 2-3 years. The guy just hasn't developed his game.

lol, please
04-20-2014, 11:23 PM
The aura of Dwight Howard, the larger than life athlete, that presence you used to feel about him on the court, that beastliness, that man-child presence, is gone.

This has nothing to do with how he left Orlando or Los Angeles. As a Laker fan, I'm over it.

But when I'm watching the games, I can't even tell that he's on the court sometimes. He used to be huge, he had large size, his body mass would cover up the width of the majority of the paint. But now, physically he's gotten so small that sometimes I mistake him for Terrence Jones. Those 2 guys look alike (only Dwight has a few inches on him).

I no longer see that superman type of blocks, him being able to push guys out of the paint, that decisiveness on the offensive end, the ability to finish around the rim like he once used to.

Once upon a time from I would say 2008-2010/2011, I would call him a top 3 or 4 player along the likes of LeBron, Chris Paul and Kobe. He was probably the 2nd most impactful player of the new generation era behind LeBron. If franchises were starting their team, Dwight would be a top 2 or 3 pick. Some yrs ago, even Phil said that out of everyone in the league no named Kobe, he would start his team with Dwight Howard.

That time is gone, and he looks like a shell of his former self, and he has now hit basically the end of his 10th yr.

I would say that the back surgery and shoulder injury last yr did him damage, but I never knew it would affect him so much explosively on both ends of the floor. I also feel he has become much mentally weaker. HE used to be the guy pushing guys around, and now I see him in stretches of a game where he gets pushed around.

I don't know, I miss seeing that dominant, exciting, superhuman man-child Dwight Howard that we once used to know.

Welcome to 3 years ago, glad you caught up.

jerellh528
04-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Welcome to 3 years ago, glad you caught up.

Lol

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-20-2014, 11:41 PM
While I agree that he is not what he once was, I wish someone besides a Laker fan would have made the thread. Now it's going to turn into a pissing match.

jerellh528
04-20-2014, 11:44 PM
While I agree that he is not what he once was, I wish someone besides a Laker fan would have made the thread. Now it's going to turn into a pissing match.

Truuuuu

Chronz
04-20-2014, 11:51 PM
:horse:

Avenged
04-20-2014, 11:53 PM

He's not a laker fan, he's the realest.

It's ShoTime
04-21-2014, 12:02 AM
He just needs to get over it.

P&GRealist
04-21-2014, 12:10 AM
He's not a laker fan, he's the realest.

Thank you.

freejimmer
04-21-2014, 12:11 AM
Looks like the best C in the league to me.

P&GRealist
04-21-2014, 12:12 AM

Marc Gasol and Joakim Noah say hola.

still1ballin
04-21-2014, 12:14 AM
Get over it, Shakeel.

still1ballin
04-21-2014, 12:16 AM

Demarcus cuzinz

freejimmer
04-21-2014, 12:42 AM

Stop.

THE MTL
04-21-2014, 01:18 AM

NOPE.

18ppg 12rpg 2bpg on the season with the better record and moved his team's defense up 5 spots from last year. When 18 and 12 is considered a mediorce season; then u know you're the best center.

Noah and Gasol arent even capable of those numbers.

P&GRealist
04-21-2014, 01:22 AM
NOPE.

18ppg 12rpg 2bpg on the season with the better record and moved his team's defense up 5 spots from last year. When 18 and 12 is considered a mediorce season; then u know you're the best center.

Noah and Gasol are passing big men. They look for others before they look to stagnate the offense and post up and look for their own.

See Dwight, who is the complete opposite.

Also, the 2 aforementioned guys are much more reliable at the stripe than Howard.

bathroom_man
04-21-2014, 01:26 AM
Dwight howard is a great "role" player now

Crackadalic
04-21-2014, 01:26 AM
Dwight is not that Chris Paul lebron James status on impacting the game anymore

However he is still a great player that is anchoring the defense in Houston and whiteout him is so much worse

bathroom_man
04-21-2014, 01:32 AM

Pissing match? How does that work? Who piss who first?

tmacsc2
04-21-2014, 01:32 AM
Dwight was playing like a ***** tonight. Throwing cheap shots at rolo all night.

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-21-2014, 01:43 AM
Pissing match? How does that work? Who piss who first?

You're the bathroom man, you tell me.

FOBolous
04-21-2014, 01:57 AM
Howard use to be a lot better because Orlando ran the PnR with him and the Turk a lot and Howard is amazing on the PnR. But, for some reason, he doesn't like to run it and prefers to post up...and he's not good at posting up. He's a 6'9" guy trying to post up 7" players. It doesn't make sense. But w/e

DillyDill
04-21-2014, 02:00 AM

Lol good 1

bathroom_man
04-21-2014, 02:03 AM
Lol good 1

Ok, you suck me first?

bathroom_man
04-21-2014, 02:04 AM

U suck me then

bathroom_man
04-21-2014, 02:06 AM
Howard use to be a lot better because Orlando ran the PnR with him and the Turk a lot and Howard is amazing on the PnR. But, for some reason, he doesn't like to run it and prefers to post up...and he's not good at posting up. He's a 6'9" guy trying to post up 7" players. It doesn't make sense. But w/e

Maybe back surgery wants to say hello to dwight howard

ThuglifeJ
04-21-2014, 02:13 AM
Maybe he used to be on PEDs and got scared of getting caught once Lewis did..

Serious. He's significantly weaker than 2010

bathroom_man
04-21-2014, 02:17 AM
Maybe big back surgery have something to do with it. In 2/3 yrs dwight howard is done.

goku
04-21-2014, 02:26 AM
atleast wait until the series is over before u make this thread .....

Cracka2HI!
04-21-2014, 02:57 AM

That's really funny!

In the off-season I thought the Lakers should have reached out to Howard and the Clippers about a trade. My proposal was Jordan, Bledsoe and Butler(expiring) for Howard. Everyone obviously thought I was an idiot. Doesn't seem like such a bad deal now...does it?

It's ShoTime
04-21-2014, 03:09 AM
That's really funny!

In the off-season I thought the Lakers should have reached out to Howard and the Clippers about a trade. My proposal was Jordan, Bledsoe and Butler(expiring) for Howard. Everyone obviously thought I was an idiot. Doesn't seem like such a bad deal now...does it?

Wouldn't take then, won't take now.

DillyDill
04-21-2014, 03:11 AM
That's really funny!

That would of been hell of nassssttyyy. Lob city on steroids!! He might not be Orlando Superman but he's still better than DJ.

Cracka2HI!
04-21-2014, 03:25 AM
Wouldn't take then, won't take now.I know Laker fans think they will clean up in FA and maybe they will. There aren't many FA's coming out like DJ and Bledsoe. I can maybe see not taking it then, but I disagree not taking it now.

That would of been hell of nassssttyyy. Lob city on steroids!! He might not be Orlando Superman but he's still better than DJ.He's definitely better but I don't know if he's a better fit. DJ never has a play run for him and Howard gets really pouty when he doesn't get the ball. Would have been interesting for sure.

Bostonjorge
04-21-2014, 03:32 AM
Old Howard is gone maybe forever. He's still they top C maybe over all this year but he use to be the top big man C of PF. Now there is about 5 PF that are better then Howard.

Griffin
Love
Duncan
Aldridge
Dirk
Davis

Also C's like cousins, Noah and gasol have closed the gap that was there maybe to the point were they over take him next year.

John Walls Era
04-21-2014, 03:35 AM
Said this last year. He looks way less explosive.

KingPosey
04-21-2014, 03:46 AM
He did look bigger in the past. I'm not sure why. I know he lost like an inch after having that surgery but he doesn't look anywhere near as big. Maybe it's just in my head.

no its his shoulders. As muscular as he still is he had absurd deltoids, especially his medials.

KingPosey
04-21-2014, 03:52 AM

lol the just guess about how PEDs work logic destroys threads, look at any MLB one where 10 misinformed posters act like experts while not knowing anything about them or the individuals.

Im not saying youre one of them, youre just opening the door with stuff like that

5ass
04-21-2014, 04:19 AM
Old Howard wouldn't have made those late game fts.

The_Jamal
04-21-2014, 04:31 AM
It happens. Guy has 29,000 minutes between the playoffs and regular season and he past 750 games played this season. He's also spent his whole career taking beatings in the post, because he's always been so much bigger than everyone else and the hack-a-Howard strategy. Add in his back injuries/surgery and it's not really a surprise he's lost a lot of his explosiveness. He's a guy who always has relied on his athleticism and that is the first thing to go for a player as their body starts to wear down.

ghettosean
04-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Made a thread about this 2-3 months ago... Dwight should be embarrassed for where he's progressed or hasn't progressed at this point in his career. He's pretty much as good on offense now as he was near the start of his career.

D-Leethal
04-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Old Howard wouldn't have made those late game fts.

I wouldn't look at Howards FT shooting as a plus last night. He missed 4 straight to allow Portland to erase a 10 point deficit in the first place, and one of the late game FTs he is getting lauded for was a terrible, terrible bank that had no business going in.

Howard needs to stop thinking he is a scoring option and focus on his dunks and putbacks. He is not a guy you run offense through in the post. Set hard screens, roll hard, and get garbage points. Focus on defense and rebounding.

bathroom_man
04-21-2014, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't look at Howards FT shooting as a plus last night. He missed 4 straight to allow Portland to erase a 10 point deficit in the first place, and one of the late game FTs he is getting lauded for was a terrible, terrible bank that had no business going in.

Howard needs to stop thinking he is a scoring option and focus on his dunks and putbacks. He is not a guy you run offense through in the post. Set hard screens, roll hard, and get garbage points. Focus on defense and rebounding.

sounds like a good role player to me.llooll

D-Leethal
04-21-2014, 10:45 AM
sounds like a good role player to me.llooll

He can still be a monster defensively and on the boards. Definitely more than a role player, and in this league of watered down Cs he's still elite at the position and an all star, but he's not a scoring option. He's not Shaq, he is not a guy you run offense through. He will pick his spots and get his 15-20 points but he's gotta stop calling for the ball in the post completely.

ThuglifeJ
04-21-2014, 10:49 AM

lol the just guess about how PEDs work logic destroys threads, look at any MLB one where 10 misinformed posters act like experts while not knowing anything about them or the individuals.

Im not saying youre one of them, youre just opening the door with stuff like that

Ok so you're one of those guys who knows everything about supplements , works at gnc, and spends all his time lifting at the gym. All to just get off to himself because hes 10 pounds heavier than the guy next to him. Congrats you're going to turn 40 and realize how much time you wasted.
Nothing wrong with working out but there's definitely 'those' guys.

I don't know whether Howard was on PEDs, nor do I know their exact science, nor did I say I did. But he is significantly weaker than just a few years ago. Something changed, maybe he just doesn't put the effort in at the gym anymore and used to.

bathroom_man
04-21-2014, 11:09 AM
He can still be a monster defensively and on the boards. Definitely more than a role player, and in this league of watered down Cs he's still elite at the position and an all star, but he's not a scoring option. He's not Shaq, he is not a guy you run offense through. He will pick his spots and get his 15-20 points but he's gotta stop calling for the ball in the post completely.

true dat, i know, just being a little harsh

rockets-fan
04-21-2014, 11:10 AM
The man stepped up in the fourth last night tho

bathroom_man
04-21-2014, 11:25 AM
The man stepped up in the fourth last night tho

not really, brick a couple of fts to let the blazer crept in

rockets-fan
04-21-2014, 11:31 AM

I'm talking about the 4-6 straight free throws he made late in the game in overtime. And the offensive rebounding in overtime to give the rockets a chance.

His last foul was a bogus call, if everyone can not agree on that, we have a problem because even the commentators thought it was a foul on the blazers.

bathroom_man
04-21-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm talking about the 4-6 straight free throws he made late in the game in overtime. And the offensive rebounding in overtime to give the rockets a chance.

His last foul was a bogus call, if everyone can not agree on that, we have a problem because even the commentators thought it was a foul on the blazers.

yeah, he redemp himself. dwight howard has a history of getting bogus fouls calls against him. he should be aware of that already

Bruno
04-21-2014, 12:15 PM

hahah.

Stinkyoutsider
04-21-2014, 12:21 PM
I think Dwight isn't over his back injury. He's still not 100% and will probably be another year before he really feels like himself?

It's a shame that he didn't develop the technique he needed to be an offensive force because he's always been a top athlete. He could of at least improved his ball control skills so he wouldn't turn the ball over quite as much.

I think he missed a great opportunity to develop some form to his shot. I keep thinking about what Amare Stoudemire did when he was with the Suns and had to sit out with serious knee problems. He took his time and developed a shooting touch and when he finally became healthy, he became a great 2 way player. Howard could have taken the same path and sat out a little longer after back surgery to do this.

*Superman*
04-21-2014, 12:54 PM
He's finally playing in the shadows of players better than him. That was never the case in Orlando. His surgeries also probably have a good deal to do with his explosiveness. I wonder how he feels about being in Houston. He always wanted to be the man, Mr. 4th quarter in Orlando, but clearly Harden runs the show. I get being on a winning team is nice, but sometimes you want your own spotlight too. Maybe he's accepted that he isn't that kind of player. :shrug:

THE MTL
04-21-2014, 12:54 PM
NOPE.

Noah and Gasol are passing big men. They look for others before they look to stagnate the offense and post up and look for their own.

See Dwight, who is the complete opposite.

Also, the 2 aforementioned guys are much more reliable at the stripe than Howard.

Passing and free throws are about the only thing they do better but Dwight Howard is still the best overall as a true big man. Everyone knows this.

The only big who might be better than Howard is Cousins but he's far too immature at the moment

ManRam
04-21-2014, 12:57 PM
This is news?

Still a very good player, just not quite as great as he once was. For sure.

FlashBolt
04-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Idc what anyone says. James Harden is the reason why HOU lost.

Hangtime
04-21-2014, 01:19 PM
This is evidence of what happens when an agile and explosive athlete begins to lose a bit of his athleticism and doesn't have the skills required to fall back on. Thats what makes Duncan still elite in todays game against more athletic guys at his position. Howard lacks any fundamental progression in his offensive game because he wasn't committed to developing into a better overall player 6 or 7 years ago. He will never be Hakeem. I still think he can beast on any given night especially on the defensive end. He still commits idiotic fouls and doesn't think in certain situations. Howard will decline fast into his early 30's.

JeremiahWing
04-21-2014, 01:24 PM
He was never what you thought he was. If he'd developed his game instead of doing whatever the hell he was doing, his career could have had a Second Act. So many great ballers before him knew that the physical dominance goes away and that one must adapt. Dwight was too busy with other things (complaining, mostly) to do this. It's sad, really.

SouthSideRookie
04-21-2014, 01:32 PM

lol

+1

Season averages vs Portland
25.5 ppg, 13.5 rebounds and 1.8 blocks.

Yesterday 27 and 15, with 4 blocks.

Sometimes I wonder if people actually watch the game.

valade16
04-21-2014, 01:37 PM

As a Blazer fan Dwight was not the reason you guys lost at all. He played pretty well actually. He still has a wicked quick first move and he got around Robin Lopez countless times. He wasn't super aggressive in going towards the basket on his post moves but that was because he wasn't getting very many calls (I saw at least 2 times he missed a close shot that should have been foul calls) and the foul at the end was definitely not on Dwight.

The 4 FT thing is not Dwight's fault, that is McHale's. The Blazers were down and out at that point of the game. Without hack-a-Howard we likely lose. McHale has to know as soon as we tried it once to adjust.

ThuglifeJ
04-21-2014, 01:40 PM

Who cares Blazers woulda got the rebound anyway..dude only went 1-2 at line.

Wasn't as bad as Howard going to the line for a travel/no foul or the blazers losing possession to a weak screen call.
all at end of game

You guys lost.

Chronz
04-21-2014, 01:42 PM
He still has a wicked quick first move and he got around Robin Lopez countless times. He wasn't super aggressive in going towards the basket on his post moves but that was because ...

Im glad you noticed that too, but I think its because Dwight isn't instinctive enough to know when hes beat his man. Its happened alot all season. If you notice his best post possessions tend to come after time outs, when his coach has time to explain all the details that are about to occur on the possession, Dwight can get the ball exactly where he wants it and get to his pet post moves. But when he gets it on the fly, he will do quick moves, but then lag for a second or 2 to realize what should come next.

Chronz
04-21-2014, 01:47 PM
What are you arguing, that Dwight didn't play well when it counted? Dude played great, you do realize in games so close, lots of players can be playing great to get their team in this position.

Wasn't as bad as Howard going to the line for a travel/no foul or the blazers losing possession to a weak screen call.
Umm Dwight WAS fouled on that travel, they just got the wrong guy for the foul. So why you whining for? The refs showed plenty of love to Portland, make up calls went Houstons way too.

rockets-fan
04-21-2014, 01:53 PM

all at end of game

You guys lost.

Howard got fouled not freeland, but instead of Howard taking two free throws down 1, freeland took them. And Howard has made 4 free throws in a row prior to that

He was fouled,lillard ran into him from behind watch it again if you'd like

And yes we did, I kinda realized that when we had less points than th at the end of the game

goku
04-21-2014, 01:57 PM

all at end of game

You guys lost.

yes we lost game one this isn't the nfl u know still got game 2 each game is different in a series

nickdymez
04-21-2014, 02:36 PM
D12 = Ben Wallace

Kevj77
04-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Howard lost a step after surgery. He isn't the same guy. A few years ago he was the best big period a guy you could build a franchise around and considered a top 3-4 overall player right behind the likes of Lebron, CP3, and Kobe.

Now he may or may not be the best C in the NBA during a time when the position is as weak as I've ever seen it.

ghettosean
04-21-2014, 04:38 PM

I don't disagree with you but if they win I'll be surprised if he is the reason for the win (referring to D12)

Iron24th
04-21-2014, 05:20 PM
dwight has lost a step, it's obvious.

bathroom_man
04-21-2014, 07:08 PM
D12 = Ben Wallace

Lots of laugh

Redskins10
04-21-2014, 07:30 PM
I honestly think I can beat Howard one-on-one and I'm 5ft1 and 85 pounds.

SluggeR
04-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Dwight has to get that DOG back in him. I thought McHale being a former NBA big man would help take Dwight's game to the next level, but it seems it the opposite. I noticed that during the year that the rockets are not coached to make Dwight in the paint a priority. They play from the outside in, rather than the inside out. Dwight needs to "rock the boat" and demand the ball. The guy is a night-in & night-out mismatch, but yet it seems as if he's the third option and sometimes forgotten SMH. There are too many times when Dwight has his man pinned under the goal and his teammates just look him off. Besides throwing alley-oops, the rockets are terrible when it comes to feeding the post. I'm not sure McHale is the guy to get them where they want to go.

smith&wesson
04-21-2014, 07:33 PM
problem with howard is that he is in fact a man-child. He isnt serious enough about winning, he doesnt have that drive to will his team to victorys. he doesnt have the mental toughness to perform day in and day out..

howards problem isnt physical. its mental... he needs a different aproach but good luck convincing him of that.

smith&wesson
04-21-2014, 07:35 PM
I honestly think I can beat Howard one-on-one and I'm 5ft1 and 85 pounds.

how do you plan on scoring on him ? he can block you with his knees :laugh2:

Laker Legend42
04-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Steroids are what's missing from D12. I think most pro athletes are/have been on steroids at some point. Kobe Bryant,tiger woods and Serena Williams included. I also have no problem with it. Last year Howard was ordinary. Guards were able to slap the ball out of his hands and it wasn't hard to move him.

NBA_Starter
04-21-2014, 10:28 PM
RIP Dwight

JasonJohnHorn
04-21-2014, 10:30 PM
A back injury can fawk you up but good. Look at Larry Johnson. You need you back to work the block on offense. When you got your back to the basket, and the defender's forearm in on your upper back, you need that lowerback strength to work for position. When you are boxing out for a rebound, you NEED that lower back strength to hold the guy behind you at bay.

That said, Dwight is still rebounding like a champ, so he hasn't seen the kind of decline Larry Johnson saw. But the offensive game, with your back-to-the-basket, is even more important to have lower back strength. Johnson reinvented his game and had a great long jumper, but Dwight is NOT going to be able to do that.

I think he's still got it in him. He is rebounding as well as ever, so it clearly hasn't impacted that part of his game. I think he just needs to get into the system and get his confidence back.

Bruno
04-22-2014, 01:11 PM
...dwight actually had a good game. he's a liability because of his ft's but if you look at his advanced line he had a single game per of 28.8. ts% was garbage though.

kobe4thewinbang
04-22-2014, 05:25 PM
LaMarcus Aldridge embarrassed D12 last night. Should press charges on him for rape.

DitchDat
04-23-2014, 06:23 AM
It's sad, really. He was such a force and now he just disappears for large stretches.

EvanTurner
04-23-2014, 06:57 AM
Dwight howard does disappear on offense alot and doesnt play great defense. He does rebound though but idk if you pay a guy 20 million a year to rebound.

P&GRealist
04-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Dwight is zee gratest no ?'s asked