PDA

View Full Version : Raptors GM sparks pregame rally saying "*bleep* Brooklyn!"

KniCks4LiFe
04-19-2014, 04:11 PM
https://t.co/GWDlWqwIRQ

DoMeFavors
04-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Why would a gm say something like that? there is no rivalry between the two teams so why say something like that?

KniCks4LiFe
04-19-2014, 04:17 PM
will clearly be the top discussion this week in sports.

ManRam
04-19-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm mad he's apologizing.

DoMeFavors
04-19-2014, 04:21 PM
raptors are going about this the wrong way

bucketss
04-19-2014, 04:23 PM
**** brooklyn hes damn right

cmellofan15
04-19-2014, 04:31 PM
I miss him.....

smith&wesson
04-19-2014, 04:35 PM
hes the man. what other gm has the balls to do this lol. :clap: i love it.

Sofnr
04-19-2014, 04:41 PM
I love it. Just a rallying cry to get the fans pumped up. And the fans clearly appreciated it. It's hilarious that ESPN made their headline "Raptors GM Ujiri shouts expletive at Nets". Anything to get people reading I guess.

Legendary33
04-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Why would a gm say something like that? there is no rivalry between the two teams so why say something like that?
In recent years there has been a bit of a rivalry, same division plus the team VC fled to. Not a long enough history but there definitely is something brewing between the two teams. Surprising move by Masai considering his reputation but I honestly love the move, not a fan of the apology.

DoMeFavors
04-19-2014, 04:51 PM
In recent years there has been a bit of a rivalry, same division plus the team VC fled to. Not a long enough history but there definitely is something brewing between the two teams. Surprising move by Masai considering his reputation but I honestly love the move, not a fan of the apology.

It doesnt offend me , Its just not a norm for a GM to do that

Avenged
04-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Well, he's right.. :shrug:

ScottFromCanada
04-19-2014, 04:54 PM
It doesnt offend me , Its just not a norm for a GM to do that

He said in an interview about a month before this that he hates New York too.

KniCks4LiFe
04-19-2014, 04:57 PM

say what?

He can go w/ that **** BK thing.

Don't tell me he said **** NY. Then he ****ing wit the wrong city.

DoMeFavors
04-19-2014, 04:58 PM

its typical for maybe a player maybe, but a GM doesnt do that. I dont understand doing that when you are one of the people that reps the team and there are kids and woman around. I never use foul words infront of the opposite sex or children.

cmellofan15
04-19-2014, 05:01 PM
its typical for maybe a player maybe, but a GM doesnt do that. I dont understand doing that when you are one of the people that reps the team and there are kids and woman around. I never use foul words infront of the opposite sex or children.

hahahahaha :laugh2:

JC_
04-19-2014, 05:03 PM
If he really wanted to say something he should have said "**** the Nets". Either way, he probably made the suits **** their pants when they heard it lol. I wonder how big the fine will be.

ScottFromCanada
04-19-2014, 05:05 PM
say what?

I think he said the knicks but the fact he said **** Brooklyn too makes you think he hates the city or state.

smith&wesson
04-19-2014, 05:07 PM

do you live in jersey or brooklyn ? how do you get girls ? the woman from there dont like softies :p im jk. i actually agree with you on that last point. there was plenty of children around..

ztilzer31
04-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Why is this even a story? Who cares?

smith&wesson
04-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Why is this even a story? Who cares?

because its kinda suprising and un expected from a gm.

sens#11fan
04-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Man, people these days complain the league is getting to soft. It's not very sportsmanlike but atleast hes trying to make it competitive and aggressive like the 90s.

DoMeFavors
04-19-2014, 05:16 PM
do you live in jersey or brooklyn ? how do you get girls ? the woman from there dont like softies :p im jk. i actually agree with you on that last point. there was plenty of children around..

new jersey, i have a woman so its not a problem for me.

Legendary33
04-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Would he get fined for this? I have no clue what the rules are for NBA fines but the incident happened outside of the arena where I dont believe many media members were watching, there were cameras present but he didn't make the comment to national TV it was just for the couple hundred fans watching the game outside.

DallasTrilla23
04-19-2014, 05:19 PM

No wonder he's raped the Knicks so many times

ThuglifeJ
04-19-2014, 05:19 PM
I mean it's not classy, and it makes the Raptors look like they've never been there before..so slightly embarassing.

BUT. I'm all for it..I mean it ups the intensity that much more and it kinda gave me a hockey playoff feel...I'm not against it. Like the intensity

ThuglifeJ
04-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Man, people these days complain the league is getting to soft. It's not very sportsmanlike but atleast hes trying to make it competitive and aggressive like the 90s.

this

Legendary33
04-19-2014, 05:24 PM
I mean it's not classy, and it makes the Raptors look like they've never been there before..so slightly embarassing.

BUT. I'm all for it..I mean it ups the intensity that much more and it kinda gave me a hockey playoff feel...I'm not against it. Like the intensity
I think it was all preplanned move by Masai, I know he apologized but I get the feeling he knew what he was doing when he said it. The franchise goal is to get more of Canada to back the raptors and this will definitely get the attention of the hockey fans.

NBA_Starter
04-19-2014, 05:35 PM
You have to love Masai!

TheMightyHumph
04-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Not a big fan of Brooklyn, but I'm a long time Net fan, and today the Nets ****** Masai

mike_noodles
04-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Well aren't you a saint. **** Brooklyn.

PhillyFaninLA
04-19-2014, 07:02 PM
A coach (maybe), player, or marketing person sure but a front office erson needs to present them better.

torocan
04-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Meh. It's not really news.

I suspect it falls in line with the Raptors re-branding image. And if it fires up the fans, more power to him. I'm sure he'll get the customary slap on the wrist and stuff.

It's nice to see a GM willing to get out in front and talk up a series. Much better than many of the MIA GM's in the NBA.

Crackadalic
04-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Lmao that's some funny ****

mjt20mik
04-19-2014, 07:47 PM
I found it funny that J.Kidd doesn't know who the reining Executive of the Year is. So full of **** lol

Kinglorious
04-19-2014, 07:55 PM
say what?

Brooklyn is New York lol.

FriedTofuz
04-19-2014, 10:48 PM
**** brooklyn

TheMightyHumph
04-19-2014, 10:56 PM
I found it funny that J.Kidd doesn't know who the reining Executive of the Year is. So full of **** lol

Should Kidd care? Why is that something Kidd would he to know?

sunsfan88
04-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Clearly he hates NY considering he rips them off in every trade he makes.

NYJ - NYY
04-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Who cares?!? Bleep Brooklyn all day... Nyk little brother

colinskik
04-21-2014, 10:02 AM

No GM was doing this in the 90s. This is not a GM's role -- they should stay in the shadows.

mjt20mik
04-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Should Kidd care? Why is that something Kidd would he to know?

He shouldn't care, but he was full of **** when he said he didn't know who it was.

MonroeFAN
04-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Canadians are goofy as heck.

colinskik
04-21-2014, 10:50 AM
He shouldn't care, but he was full of **** when he said he didn't know who it was.

Of course he was. He was saying, I don't know or care who he is because it doesn't make a difference -- he's a GM and has no bearing on the outcome of the game.

If it were true then you'd have to question Kidd ... if we know who he is, Kidd knows.

Necrosis
04-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Clearly he hates NY considering he rips them off in every trade he makes.

He has publicly stated he hates the knicks, I think he hates new York teams. On the George strombolopolus show he legit said " I don't know about you, but I hate the knicks man and always have".

He is trying to rape them, he indicated he was with the Lowry trade. He is the best GM hands down imo. His trade record is a win every time and it's not even close.

He also is intensely passionate, he thinks that he has to win because he is carrying Africa on his back. He tears up when he talks about winning, he is intense.

LanceUpperCut
04-21-2014, 11:50 AM
I think it pretty damn funny, I'm sure he got caught up in the moment and kind of regrets it now. Defiantly not the normal mild mannered Masai were use to seeing. And please don't give me the "What about the children" in todays world a kid who watches a pre-game rally and hears a swear word is tame compared to leaving him alone with a computer for 10 minutes or watching MTV.

Kelly Gruber
04-21-2014, 11:51 AM

He's from Nigeria... Do people think Canadian sports teams only hire Canadians or something?

Stinkyoutsider
04-21-2014, 12:13 PM
The playoffs need this imo. For the past 5 or 6 seasons, there's been a ton of sportsmanship so it's about time that things start become a little more balanced lol.

I don't even think it's totally about hate? Ujiri wants to run the Nets over in the series...

BHF
04-21-2014, 01:33 PM
He's from Nigeria... Do people think Canadian sports teams only hire Canadians or something?

Sadly lots of them do LOL some of them think the players are Canadian too :facepalm:

TheMightyHumph
04-21-2014, 01:36 PM
The playoffs need this imo. For the past 5 or 6 seasons, there's been a ton of sportsmanship so it's about time that things start become a little more balanced lol.

I don't even think it's totally about hate? Ujiri wants to run the Nets over in the series...

Giving the opposition additional inspiration is not a good plan if you want to run them over.

IgglesFanInCO
04-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Letting Masai walk will go down as one of the biggest mistakes in nuggets history

I miss him so much :sigh:

ghettosean
04-21-2014, 04:32 PM

They do sadly :facepalm:

ghettosean
04-21-2014, 04:35 PM
I loved it!!! Made me feel like he was one of us!

Love that man!!!

**** Brooklyn yo!!!

FriedTofuz
04-21-2014, 05:14 PM
https://soundcloud.com/brooklynnets/nets-vs-raptors-the-game-1-win-and-game-2-preview

DoMeFavors
04-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Raptors are already in panic mode, talking about "if they lose the series" and now talking about changing up their rotation and adding Fields who hasnt played. Its looking like inexperience and panic coming full circle.

FriedTofuz
04-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Raptors are already in panic mode, talking about "if they lose the series" and now talking about changing up their rotation and adding Fields who hasnt played. Its looking like inexperience and panic coming full circle.

making adjustments means panic mode? I guess everyone in the NBA must be in panic mode even after their wins.

FriedTofuz
04-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Honestly.they're trying fields because they had GREAT success with Fields defense, but his offensive game hasnt really return to form since his respiratory infection and has been rusty. Fields had been playing good D on Melo when Melo was playing the 4, and they feel lke they can reciprocate the same against pierce. I dont get how that is panic mode. Honestly, does anyone have a single positive thing to say about the raptors? Like I see a lot of bias where people just praise the nets and put down the raptors. you make your points less valid when you act biased

FriedTofuz
04-21-2014, 05:42 PM
please stop with this whole experience thing, tbh the only thing which was relative to experience was the fact that a few of the raptors were nervous and it affected their game, the shot clock didnt help either. But I hope you recall, it was a tie ball game with 3 min left in the 4th, and then experience from clutch plays from pierce showed. That's about it, experience didnt drastically impair the raptors from compeating otherwise they wouldnt even have been in the game by the 4th.

DoMeFavors
04-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Honestly.they're trying fields because they had GREAT success with Fields defense, but his offensive game hasnt really return to form since his respiratory infection and has been rusty. Fields had been playing good D on Melo when Melo was playing the 4, and they feel lke they can reciprocate the same against pierce. I dont get how that is panic mode. Honestly, does anyone have a single positive thing to say about the raptors? Like I see a lot of bias where people just praise the nets and put down the raptors. you make your points less valid when you act biased

Its not about putting down the raptors, nobody says they suck. Its a learning experience and people are just saying the truth. Experience does mean a lot, surprised if you have watched playoff series in the past you havent picked up on that. And it is just one game and they are already changing the rotation what made the raptors good, it will effect them knowing that. They have a lot of pressure on them now and they may crumble under pressure to win game 2.

TheMightyHumph
04-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Let us address the experience thing head on.

2007 playoffs. An experienced playoff team faces an inexperienced playoff team.

Nets REALLY sucked that season, but made the playoffs because the entire Eastern Conference REALLY sucked that season.

Nets beat Raptors game one in Toronto. Fans are all dressed in Red. Nets are wearing their red road uniforms. Richard Jefferson says it is nice that the fans came out to support the Nets. Vince, true to form, rolls over like a dog in the playoffs, yet Nets and their experienced playoff roster beat the 3rd seed Raptors.

I'm just hoping the results are the same as 2007, only Nets have a much better team and much better coach than they had in 2007.

John Walls Era
04-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Sadly lots of them do LOL some of them think the players are Canadian too :facepalm:

the morons do. which is almost all of them. hows that for generalizing.

DoMeFavors
04-21-2014, 06:40 PM
the morons do. which is almost all of them. hows that for generalizing.

they always have a lot of international players just for the hell of it on the team, that holds raptors back from their potential.

koreancabbage
04-21-2014, 06:47 PM

Nets REALLY sucked that season, but made the playoffs because the entire Eastern Conference REALLY sucked that season.

Nets beat Raptors game one in Toronto. Fans are all dressed in Red. Nets are wearing their red road uniforms. Richard Jefferson says it is nice that the fans came out to support the Nets. Vince, true to form, rolls over like a dog in the playoffs, yet Nets and their experienced playoff roster beat the 3rd seed Raptors.

I'm just hoping the results are the same as 2007, only Nets have a much better team and much better coach than they had in 2007.

The raps also have a better team and a better coach.

DoMeFavors

experience doesnt always win its just the fact that Nets have so much experience and raptors have none.

koreancabbage
experience doesnt always win its just the fact that Nets have so much experience and raptors have none.

what would you say if the Raps won the series then? hypothetically.

DoMeFavors
The raps also have a better team and a better coach.

Ill give you the coach part but raptors in 07 roster wise were better.

DoMeFavors
04-21-2014, 06:54 PM
what would you say if the Raps won the series then? hypothetically.

I would say they surprised me very much and were better team. Unless ofcourse Nets suffer an important injury or something along those lines. Now Nets have homecourt, so the raptors will have to overcome that aswell that isnt easy in the first place but especially a young team.

ScottFromCanada
04-21-2014, 06:54 PM
who the hell decided that the home team has to wear white? A sea of red is way more intimating than white.

FriedTofuz
04-21-2014, 06:57 PM
who the hell decided that the home team has to wear white? A sea of red is way more intimating than white.

Bad marketing, and I agree.