PDA

View Full Version : Can we give some Love to Big Al now?

JasonJohnHorn
04-19-2014, 08:50 AM
Al Jefferson will be in his second post season this year and looking for his first career post-season win.

He was drafted by a lottery team (Boston) and then when he developed into a 20/10 player, that team traded him to a lottery team (MIN) who then traded him to a team that was in the lottery (UTAH) who he helped get into the playoffs, after which they traded their All-Star point guard and when into re-build mode.

The guy has never got a chance to contribute to a winning team.

This offseason, he signed with the Bobcats, which I thought was just him chasing money, but he has really helped turn this team around in one season.

Kevin Love has been with the T-Wolves for 6 seasons and has been unable to get them into the playoffs. The Jazz proved to be the worst team in the West without Jefferson and Millsap. And the Bobcats, who were the laughing stock of the league for the last two years, are not over .500 and in the playoffs.

The Cavs won 17 games before LBJ showed up. It took three seasons to get to the playoffs (granted, he was an 18-year-old rookie that first year and his game was still developing), but Al Jefferson helped a team that is two seasons removed for the worst record in NBA history, to the post season, A team that won only 21 games last year, has won 43 this year: a 22 game improvement. AMAZING!

What are your thoughts? Is this turnaround because of Al Jefferson? Does he deserve some love and a couple of 5th place MVP votes? Or was the east just a perfect storm for a bad team to do well? Or perhaps was it other players/coaching that made the difference?

Minimal
04-19-2014, 08:59 AM
If think it has to do with the whole Bobcats team, not only Al.
Al was always a great player, a really underrated one. Just a stat: his career PER is 20.8, this year he posted 22.6. Thats incredible.

ManRam
04-19-2014, 10:43 AM
I've gained a whole new appreciation for him. He remains a liability on defense but his offensive game is top notch, and probably the best of any center in the league. He's not always the most efficient, but his offensive impact is tremendous. I've been doing a lot of writing on Vucevic lately, and Jeff is becoming my most frequently-cited example of positive traits for offensive centers. He's become a hallmark of offensive play of sorts to me.

Charlotte's turnaround from the worst defensive team in the league to a top ~5 defense is what blows my mind the most, especially considering they mostly do it from the outside-in. Jeff is not that defensive stopper, but the perimeter guys are just so damn sound and the team is coached so well on that end. I hope Charlotte can be somewhat competitive against the Heat. I think, more or less, they will be.

SeoulBeatz
04-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Happy for Big Al.

He's solidified himself as the best post-scorer in the league IMO. No one has better footwork or go-to moves downlow.

Shame he's matched up against the Heat but he should have a field day against their bigs.

mightybosstone
04-19-2014, 12:01 PM
The guy definitely deserves some credit. I think most NBA fans (myself included) were critical of him for going for the money instead of playing for a playoff caliber team, but then he turns around and is the single most integral piece to a playoff caliber squad in Charlotte. He's not the most efficient big man, but a strong case could be made for him as the most skilled offensive center in the league.

I wouldn't take him seriously as a legitimate MVP candidate, as the Bobcats were still only 43-39 this year, but I definitely think he'll get a few 4th and 5th place votes. And I think that's well deserved. He's certainly in that discussion of the top 20 players in the league in my book.

TheMightyHumph
04-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Always liked Al. Never understood the disrespect he got. Post players are hard to find.

Kyben36
04-19-2014, 01:28 PM
guys allways been under rated IMO, but i dont think that makes him an allstar, or good enough in the playoffs to push them,

IMO, you have to give credit to Walker more so, he is the type of scorer that can take over games at times, could definitively see him a an all-star one day.

hugepatsfan
04-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Kevin Love has been with the T-Wolves for 6 seasons and has been unable to get them into the playoffs. The Jazz proved to be the worst team in the West without Jefferson and Millsap. And the Bobcats, who were the laughing stock of the league for the last two years, are not over .500 and in the playoffs.

The Cavs won 17 games before LBJ showed up. It took three seasons to get to the playoffs (granted, he was an 18-year-old rookie that first year and his game was still developing), but Al Jefferson helped a team that is two seasons removed for the worst record in NBA history, to the post season, A team that won only 21 games last year, has won 43 this year: a 22 game improvement. AMAZING!

The Kevin Love part is absolutely ridiculous of you to bring up. You're too smart a poster to understand the difference between the East and the West.

And on the Lebron part... the East was a little better back then. The Bobcats this year are 43-39 this year, good for the 7th seed. Lebron in his second year had the Cavs at 42-40 but that wasn't good enough for the 8 seed, never mind #7.

P&GRealist
04-19-2014, 01:56 PM
He played just like so with Minnesota and Utah. Nothing different he's doing. Just doing what he's been doing his entire career, but in a weaker conference. Give credit to MJ for signing him.

black1605
04-19-2014, 03:38 PM
It's been awesome watching him this year. He was hampered by injury early on, but he really turned it on late in the season. The Bobcats had never had a player earn Player of the Month honors before, and now Al has won it the last two months.

He's obviously not a top five player in the league, but you'd have a hard time arguing that there are five players who are more important to their team than Big Al.

ManRam
04-19-2014, 03:47 PM
The Kevin Love part is absolutely ridiculous of you to bring up. You're too smart a poster to understand the difference between the East and the West.

And on the Lebron part... the East was a little better back then. The Bobcats this year are 43-39 this year, good for the 7th seed. Lebron in his second year had the Cavs at 42-40 but that wasn't good enough for the 8 seed, never mind #7.

I actually didn't read the OP at first...but yeah, those two remarks were ridiculous.

AddiX
04-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Al has been phenomenal this year.

He's shown the difference between a team who has a real scorer as there best player and the teams that don't. Its no mistake the cats finally got in the playoffs this year. Hes a huge part of that.

NBA_Starter
04-19-2014, 05:01 PM
I've gained a whole new appreciation for him. He remains a liability on defense but his offensive game is top notch, and probably the best of any center in the league. He's not always the most efficient, but his offensive impact is tremendous. I've been doing a lot of writing on Vucevic lately, and Jeff is becoming my most frequently-cited example of positive traits for offensive centers. He's become a hallmark of offensive play of sorts to me.

Charlotte's turnaround from the worst defensive team in the league to a top ~5 defense is what blows my mind the most, especially considering they mostly do it from the outside-in. Jeff is not that defensive stopper, but the perimeter guys are just so damn sound and the team is coached so well on that end. I hope Charlotte can be somewhat competitive against the Heat. I think, more or less, they will be.

Our coaches do a good job of game planning around that and it doesn't really hurt us it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up. It is also refreshing to see one of our guys get shown some love.

JasonJohnHorn
04-20-2014, 07:43 AM
I actually didn't read the OP at first...but yeah, those two remarks were ridiculous.

They were just meant to provide context about how difficult it can be to turn a team around. I clearly negate the LBJ comparison by noting he was only 18.

The reason for the comparisons is because people always say Al Jefferson never led a team to a playoff win and it was supposed to note that while people use that against Jefferson, they don't use it against Kevin Love. Love has also been in a very tough west until this year, but people never said "Oh, Jefferson's in the west, it's tough out there". Instead, they say that he's not that good.

Helping a team to a 22-win improvement is HUGE!

YoungOne
04-20-2014, 09:22 AM
you can love him all day and all night