PDA

View Full Version : New salary cap of $63.2M and luxury tax of $77M

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-19-2014, 07:29 AM
The NBA issued new projections for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 salary cap and luxury tax thresholds. The 2014-15 salary cap is now projected to be $63.2 million and the tax level is projected to be $77.0 million. The numbers for 2015-16 are now projected to be $66.5 million and $81.0 million, respectively.

http://cbafaq.com/blog/?p=304

mightybosstone
04-19-2014, 11:34 AM
People may not make that big of a deal of this, but this is actually a pretty huge deal. If I'm not mistaken, the current salary cap is around $58.7 million. This would give teams under the cap nearly an extra $5 million to work with over the offseason. I don't have the time to go through the list of every team in the league to see their salary situation, but there will inevitably be a few really good teams that could make some serious use out of that much extra cash. The tax level would also be a pretty big increase, I think, which is a big deal for those high payroll contenders looking to add an extra piece or use Bird rights to give pay days to players already on their rosters.

chi-townlove1
04-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Even more incentive for melo to come to Chicago

Cal827
04-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Lol yay, we can now barely afford a Max player :dance:

But on the serious note, as bosstone said, this is a very big deal. Possibly more teams in contention for the max players (outright).

Lebron/Melo/Bosh/Wade have more choices to make, although they all will probably stay in Miami/NY lol

Dade County
04-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Lebron/Melo/Bosh/Wade have more choices to make, although they all will stay/play in Miami lol

Fixed

Cal827
04-19-2014, 04:00 PM
^ Lol, I forgot that know how the NBA is, that's quite possible. Heat Line-up next season

Lebron
Wade
Melo
Bosh
Gasol

and they'll still somehow be under the cap :laugh2:

P&GRealist
04-19-2014, 04:03 PM
I don't think the Heat get Melo, but I do think the Heat get 1 of 3 big key free agents from Pau Gasol, Kyle Lowry and Luol Deng.

Big 4 possibilities:

PG - Lowry
SG - Wade
SF - Bron
PF - Bosh
C- filler

OR

PG - filler
SG - Wade
SF - Deng
PF - Bron
C - Bosh

OR

PG - filler
SG - Wade
SF - LeBron
PF - Bosh
C - Pau

Shlumpledink
04-19-2014, 05:00 PM
More gaudy contracts for fringe players? Sweet. Luol Deng max contract here we come.

THE MTL
04-20-2014, 07:13 PM
That 66.5 mil after 2015 is significant

Lakers + Giants
04-20-2014, 07:29 PM
People may not make that big of a deal of this, but this is actually a pretty huge deal. If I'm not mistaken, the current salary cap is around $58.7 million. This would give teams under the cap nearly an extra $5 million to work with over the offseason. I don't have the time to go through the list of every team in the league to see their salary situation, but there will inevitably be a few really good teams that could make some serious use out of that much extra cash. The tax level would also be a pretty big increase, I think, which is a big deal for those high payroll contenders looking to add an extra piece or use Bird rights to give pay days to players already on their rosters.

Yup, I heard that thanks to this, the rockets can make a run at Melo without having to make any roster changes. If true, then damn, the league better watch out.

Slug3
04-20-2014, 07:32 PM
I don't think the Heat get Melo, but I do think the Heat get 1 of 3 big key free agents from Pau Gasol, Kyle Lowry and Luol Deng.

Big 4 possibilities:

PG - Lowry
SG - Wade
SF - Bron
PF - Bosh
C- filler

OR

PG - filler
SG - Wade
SF - Deng
PF - Bron
C - Bosh

OR

PG - filler
SG - Wade
SF - LeBron
PF - Bosh
C - Pau

I don't see Gasol getting more than 8 million a year, but I guess someone could throw double that at him. He's not really a max or near max player anymore. But the owners will be mad players like him make that when they offer it to him.

FlashBolt
04-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Horrible for small market teams. Might be great news for rebuilding big market teams. LAL and Boston are going to be big players.

NBA_Starter
04-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Even more wiggle room for the Bulls.