PDA

View Full Version : Which coach has the most pressure to win a round 1 series?

John Walls Era
04-18-2014, 11:53 PM
Which coach do you think is under the most most pressure to win a series?

Mark Jackson? Since hes having a fallout with the organization --- though the players still love him.

Kevin Mchale? Always looks like a deer in headlight. Will he have to get the talented Rockets further than they did a year ago?

Jason Kidd? The Russian Cuban promised a championship in 3 years, and they have forked out a lot of money to old vets.

Frank Vogel? The late season collapse really put him on the hotseat. Which is unfortunate since they still ended up 1st.

I excluded some others, like Pop and Spolestra since its unlikely they lose and they would be given a pass since they have had success before. Anyone else?

mightybosstone
04-19-2014, 12:13 AM
Kidd and McHale will likely be safe considering Kidd is in his first season as a coach and McHale is in the first season with this young core of players in a ridiculously tough conference. If Vogel loses in the first round, he could very well get the axe, but you could make the same case for Spoelstra and Brooks (also top 2 seeds who are heavily favored in their series). The Spurs could get swept and Pop still wouldn't be in danger of losing his job.

Mark Jackson is a good answer, but I think he's in hot water right now anyway. He shouldn't be, considering the Warriors are without Bogut and would be underdogs in this series even with him healthy. But considering all the tension between he and the front office, he may need the Warriors to make a second round appearance just to save his job.

I'd actually go with a different guy, though. Doc Rivers. I don't think he's in danger of losing his job, but he kind of forced his way out of Boston to come play for this insanely talented Clippers team. Considering how much better they've been in the regular season and the huge improvements we've seen this year with Griffin and Jordan, they should most definitely make a deep playoff run. If he doesn't get the Clippers past the banged up Warriors, he could and probably should get crucified by the media.

torocan
04-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Pressure in terms of losing their job?

1. Vogel. Larry Bird is already not a huge fan of Vogel. And this team's mid-season collapse has been truly epic. If they go out in the first round it may be the tipping point despite his extension.

2. Jackson. The guy is on the ropes already. He has the support of the team, however the FO isn't exactly in love with the guy. If there was an epic first round loss (like a sweep with some blow outs) and the team wavers on its support of Jackson, I could see the FO moving to remove him fairly quickly.

3. Kidd. Given the turn around in the last half of the season and the numerous injuries to the Nets, I just don't see Prokhorov canning him in his first year as a head coach. On the flip side Prokhorov has been shown to have a quick trigger finger, so there is that. I would put it as possible, but unlikely.

4. McHale. Yes, it's their first year together but they got a favorable match up and the team is healthy. However, McHale's contract enters it's last year next year. If the team did exceptionally poorly, it's possible he could lose his job. However, I consider it very unlikely. Alexander rarely cans a coach mid-contract.

Minimal
04-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Pressure?
Doc Rivers and Scott Brooks, but you can even add to them coaches like Pop and Spo who are definetely expected to win.

Goose17
04-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Rivers imho.

I don't think Jackson, he got us out of the first round last year, so he's safe imo.

P&GRealist
04-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Clippers with Paul and Doc

John Walls Era
04-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Vogel is put in an bad spot. He doesn't deserve to get fired even if the lose to the Hawks. He made the Pacers overachieve.

Ebbs
04-19-2014, 02:03 PM
If Frank lost to the Hawks he'd get canned so fast. Scape goat his *** so hard.

John Walls Era
04-19-2014, 02:27 PM
He will find a job quick though.

slaker619
04-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Vogel .

NYKNYGNYY
04-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Mark Jackson then Vogel

Minimal
04-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Why you name Vogel? Its not his fault his players became selfish morons, is it? I think the pressure is on the players not the coach in the team, Vogel showed us he is a great coach already, they almost made the finals last year.

John Walls Era
04-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Is it time to can Mchale? The way he is gameplanning is terrible.