PDA

View Full Version : Silver: Making NBA age limit 20 top priority.

xnick5757
04-18-2014, 08:38 PM
NEW YORK -- Armed with majority support from owners and saying "we're ready to go," NBA commissioner Adam Silver made it clear that pushing back the league's age minimum to 20 is at the top of his priority list.

The league's owners hosted NCAA president Mark Emmert to discuss the issue as part of their annual two-day spring meeting this week. Any changes wouldn't be in place by next season because the league is waiting for the players' association to name an executive director before formally starting negotiations. But it's clear there's a growing momentum to force this occasionally divisive issue through soon, possibly in time for the 2016 draft.

Silver, who was presiding over his first board of governors meeting since taking over from former commissioner David Stern in February, said the league and the NCAA have discussed creating some programs and provisions to help players stay in college longer as part of a way to get the union to accept the changes.

When the league and the players' union signed the collective bargaining agreement in 2011, it was agreed that the current one-and-done college rule could be revised at any time. The players' union recently named Sacramento mayor and former NBA player Kevin Johnson to head a committee to name a new leader by the start of the 2014-15 season.

"If we're going to be successful in raising the age from 19 to 20, part and parcel in those negotiations goes to the treatment of players on those college campuses and closing the gap between what their scholarships cover and their expenses," Silver said. "We haven't looked specifically at creating a financial incentive for them to stay in college. That's been an option that has been raised over the years, but that's not something that is on the table right now."

In addition, Silver said Emmert and the team owners talked about other ways to potentially ease a player's transition from college to the NBA. This could include changes in officiating and game play, such as reducing the NCAA's shot clock, which is 35 seconds compared to the NBA's 24.

Some have suggested that players who must wait two years to enter the draft would be better off playing in other professional leagues such as the NBA Development League, which doesn't have an age limit, or going overseas.

"I'm reading and listening to college players and the other side saying development may be better outside the NBA or the environment isn't ideal in college," Silver said. "I think those are all things we have to look at."

source (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10803355/adam-silver-says-pushing-back-nba-age-limit-top-priority)

ManRam
04-18-2014, 08:40 PM
I get it from his perspective: less risk for his franchises.

Doesn't mean I have to like it. And I don't, even as a pretty strong CBB fan.

xnick5757
04-18-2014, 08:42 PM
I get it from his perspective: less risk for his franchises.

Doesn't mean I have to like it. And I don't, even as a pretty strong CBB fan.

It's a extremely good deal for 2/3 of the participants in it.

The Owners: Less risk/unknowns when it comes to drafting; players are older and more developed.
The NCAA: Extra year of free labor from the athletes.
The Players: Screwed over.

AddiX
04-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Thank god, there's To many roster spots filled up with young retards more worried about skinny jeans and swag than learning to play NBA basketball. You cant consistently watch NBA basketball regular season games and not come to the conclusion the young players are a big problem with the NBA today.

ManRam
04-18-2014, 08:52 PM
It's a extremely good deal for 2/3 of the participants in it.

The Owners: Less risk/unknowns when it comes to drafting; players are older and more developed.
The NCAA: Extra year of free labor from the athletes.
The Players: Screwed over.

For sure. It's that simple. I do think it would help out the NCAA a good deal...though, some of the chaos due to a little more leveled playing field has made the tourney more fun in recent years. But I'd like to see more great teams, for sure.

It's just, if there's anyone to side with between A) NBA owners B) The NCAA and C) anyone else...I'm taking C every damn time.

Shammyguy3
04-18-2014, 08:58 PM
I've always leaned towards an increase in the age limit. I understand the "censoring kids opportunities to earn a paycheck" but they can still do so in leagues outside of the country like Jennings did. I would absolutely love to see the NCAA change that awful shot clock to something like 28 seconds though. Heck, even women's basketball in the NCAA has a 30sec shot clock.

goingfor28
04-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Stupid

If I'm 18 and out of high school I should have the right to try my hand at the nba.

Shammyguy3
04-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Stupid

If I'm 18 and out of high school I should have the right to try my hand at the nba.

Disagree. A ton of jobs in society require some form of for lack of a better word "maturity." Whether that be another year of development in basketball, getting a degree in finance, getting a degree in education, and so forth.

goingfor28
04-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Disagree. A ton of jobs in society require some form of for lack of a better word "maturity." Whether that be another year of development in basketball, getting a degree in finance, getting a degree in education, and so forth.

But if I think I'm good enough I should be able to at least try. I can understand college definitely helps mature as a person and a player, but I just think they should be able to choose.

ChiSox219
04-18-2014, 09:12 PM
If a NBA team wants to draft you they should be able to, regardless of age or any other characteristic people aribitrarily discriminate against.

xnick5757
04-18-2014, 09:13 PM
I've always leaned towards an increase in the age limit. I understand the "censoring kids opportunities to earn a paycheck" but they can still do so in leagues outside of the country like Jennings did. I would absolutely love to see the NCAA change that awful shot clock to something like 28 seconds though. Heck, even women's basketball in the NCAA has a 30sec shot clock.

absolutely. watching the players dribble aimlessly for a bajillion seconds is annoying

also, they should change the rule that says if you enter the draft you can't come back (or at least push back the deadline for committing to the draft, that way the players have more time to figure out if their going to get drafted or not)

Shammyguy3
04-18-2014, 09:21 PM
But if I think I'm good enough I should be able to at least try. I can understand college definitely helps mature as a person and a player, but I just think they should be able to choose.

You can try in the D-league or overseas. A lot of people that are good enough to do a job still need to get a bachelor's, or a master's, or a doctorate in order to go into the field they want to. I don't see why the NBA is any different as an employer

Slug3
04-18-2014, 09:42 PM
This age limit crap is stupid. I get they want to have more mature players. But even 2/3/4 year college players going in the lottery don't pan out as well.

kdspurman
04-18-2014, 09:48 PM
I like it. It at least gives these guys some time to mature and polish their games before making the jump to the NBA. Especially if it results in higher quality brand of basketball when these guys are drafted. Obviously this isnt the case for all young players and there are exceptions, but I think it's a safer strategy.

NBA_Starter
04-18-2014, 09:49 PM
I love it, let's see him make it happen!

sunsfan88
04-18-2014, 09:56 PM
I like it. Kids who make millions at 18 & 19 are the ones that ******* up the most and end up without a job.

sens#11fan
04-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Good idea, now make sure you don't put ads on the jerseys!

goingfor28
04-18-2014, 10:20 PM
You can try in the D-league or overseas. A lot of people that are good enough to do a job still need to get a bachelor's, or a master's, or a doctorate in order to go into the field they want to. I don't see why the NBA is any different as an employer

Bc you don't need a college degree to play sports.

goingfor28
04-18-2014, 10:21 PM
This is like saying lebron or kobe should have had to play 2 years of college ball. That's absolutely ********, and when the next lebron or kobe comes along and has to go to school that isn't fair

jerellh528
04-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Good thing it's not up to me because I would require the athletes to obtain their bachelors as a prerequisite to entering the draft.

NBA_Starter
04-18-2014, 10:27 PM
This is like saying lebron or kobe should have had to play 2 years of college ball. That's absolutely ********, and when the next lebron or kobe comes along and has to go to school that isn't fair

Kentucky would benefit for sure.

ScottFromCanada
04-18-2014, 10:30 PM
This is a really stupid idea. Who is the NBA to force a guy like Lebron to stay in college when he's better at 18 than 98% of the league. The league should actually lower the age to 18 if anything.

goingfor28
04-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Kentucky would benefit for sure.

Absolutely would. They are the one and sone kings

Although are players going to be allowed to choose between college or D league for 2 years? I thought I remember hearing something about D league raising their pay. So it's not as bad to me if there are options

jerellh528
04-18-2014, 10:31 PM
This is a really stupid idea. Who is the NBA to force a guy like Lebron to stay in college when he's better at 18 than 98% of the league.

The nba is a business just like any other employer who requires education/ experience from you. It's a privilege to play in the nba, not a right.

ScottFromCanada
04-18-2014, 10:40 PM
The nba is a business just like any other employer who requires education/ experience from you. It's a privilege to play in the nba, not a right.

You don't need an education to play basketball and you get better experience for the NBA by actually playing in the NBA as opposed to college. I'm betting the NBA gets sued by some high school star for this.

slashsnake
04-18-2014, 10:47 PM
I don't see anywhere where the NBA is forcing people to go to college for two years. They just are not opening their doors if you are right out of high school. If they say we want you to have more experience before entering our business oh well. It isn't like this is ruining the sport. I could care less about what's "fair" to multimillionaires. They aren't there to cry public rights for me but to play basketball. And if them putting in this rule makes the NBA and college ball better, I am all for it.

NBA_Starter
04-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Absolutely would. They are the one and sone kings

Although are players going to be allowed to choose between college or D league for 2 years? I thought I remember hearing something about D league raising their pay. So it's not as bad to me if there are options

Yeah I could live with other options too.

ScottFromCanada
04-18-2014, 10:52 PM
What about all the records in the past? If this happens all the total pts/rebs/stl/blk records will be cemented and never broken.

Shammyguy3
04-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Bc you don't need a college degree to play sports.

so? see the post below. You have to be 20 years old to be a policeman in most states. The NBA might not require a degree to play sports, but they have a right to require an age limit, maturity level, a proof of self worth, and so forth before investing time and money into you.

goingfor28
04-18-2014, 10:55 PM
It's a sport. The rule to me is dumb. Ask lebron, ask kobe, I'm sure they'd both agree wholeheartedly

Shammyguy3
04-18-2014, 10:55 PM
What about all the records in the past? If this happens all the total pts/rebs/stl/blk records will be cemented and never broken.

So? Since when does the NBA become a records league as opposed to a championship league? Remember when the 3 point line was added, that changed the record books. Same for when people started counting assists as a stat. Implementing the shot clock way back when. Countless examples.

NBA_Starter
04-18-2014, 10:59 PM
What is Scott talking about?

Shammyguy3
04-18-2014, 11:00 PM
It's a sport. The rule to me is dumb. Ask lebron, ask kobe, I'm sure they'd both agree wholeheartedly

What about players like Eddy Curry, Darrius Miles, Kwame Brown, DeSagana Diop, Robert Swift, Sebastian Telfair, and so forth.

For every Lebron-story, you have 10 guys on the other spectrum which teams would have said "If we had the chance to scout them, for them to mature, things would have turned out differently - maybe to the point of us reducing the overall risk on him"

ScottFromCanada
04-18-2014, 11:02 PM
So? Since when does the NBA become a records league as opposed to a championship league? Remember when the 3 point line was added, that changed the record books. Same for when people started counting assists as a stat. Implementing the shot clock way back when. Countless examples.

I'm talking modern era records, most people don't even pay attention to stuff that happened in the old era. If we cared about the original records then Wilt Chamberlain would be considered the GOAT but we know that's not the case.

goingfor28
04-18-2014, 11:02 PM
What about players like Eddy Curry, Darrius Miles, Kwame Brown, DeSagana Diop, Robert Swift, Sebastian Telfair, and so forth.

For every Lebron-story, you have 10 guys on the other spectrum which teams would have said "If we had the chance to scout them, for them to mature, things would have turned out differently - maybe to the point of us reducing the overall risk on him"

That's their own fault. Those guys should have gone to school. They didn't. They had the choice though.
And to this day dmiles is still my favorite player to ever lace em up

ScottFromCanada
04-18-2014, 11:03 PM
What is Scott talking about?

protecting players legacy in the modern era. With the age increase records in this era of basketball are going to be cemented.

hoggin88
04-18-2014, 11:05 PM

Do you think there should be a 20 year age limit for actors/actresses?

Shammyguy3
04-18-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm talking modern era records, most people don't even pay attention to stuff that happened in the old era. If we cared about the original records then Wilt Chamberlain would be considered the GOAT but we know that's not the case.

okay, once again... since when does the NBA care about records? I certainly don't care about them. And we're talking about adding 1 year to the age limit. Not a huge difference at all records wise.

That's their own fault. Those guys should have gone to school. They didn't. They had the choice though.
And to this day dmiles is still my favorite player to ever lace em up

And high school players/freshman basketball player has a choice to do three things still if they raise the age limit to 20:
a) go to college/stay in college
b) go overseas immediately/go overseas for one season
c) go to the D-League

The league has a choice, and to me a right, to change the age limit if they so choose to. Like jerell said, it's a privelege to play in the NBA

goingfor28
04-18-2014, 11:11 PM
okay, once again... since when does the NBA care about records? I certainly don't care about them. And we're talking about adding 1 year to the age limit. Not a huge difference at all records wise.

And high school players/freshman basketball player has a choice to do three things still if they raise the age limit to 20:
a) go to college/stay in college
b) go overseas immediately/go overseas for one season
c) go to the D-League

The league has a choice, and to me a right, to change the age limit if they so choose to. Like jerell said, it's a privelege to play in the NBA

I'm not trying to argue lol I just don't personally agree with it

Shammyguy3
04-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Actors/Actresses could have an age limit, but that's entirely different because in nearly every tv show or movie, there is a role to play for a younger person. But even if we pick a movie with no such role involved, sure. Why not let a production company have an age minimum requirement when choosing who they pay to make a movie?

The NBA isn't the only league in the world, just like the production company isn't the only company in the world. Just like each university has different requirements for admission the NBA has an equal right to have a distinct set of standards.

ScottFromCanada
04-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Do you think there should be a 20 year age limit for actors/actresses?

It's worse than that for these players because they risk their careers playing for free in the NCAA. It would be like telling an 18 year old model that she had to box for 2 years before being hired.

ScottFromCanada
04-18-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm not trying to argue lol I just don't personally agree with it

aren't you free to work without restrictions in the US at like 16?

Shammyguy3
04-18-2014, 11:20 PM
It's worse than that for these players because they risk their careers playing for free in the NCAA. It would be like telling an 18 year old model that she had to box for 2 years before being hired.

Those players can play overseas and get paid, they've always had that choice

Shammyguy3
04-18-2014, 11:21 PM
aren't you free to work without restrictions in the US at like 16?

You can't work as a cop, can't work as a lawyer (unless in extreme circumstances where you're the next Einstein) nor as a doctor, can't work as a bartender, and so forth.

KnicksorBust
04-18-2014, 11:22 PM
This rule benefits rich colleges who exploit teens but has no benefit for the actual players. I hate it.

ScottFromCanada
04-18-2014, 11:25 PM
You can't work as a cop, can't work as a lawyer (unless in extreme circumstances where you're the next Einstein) nor as a doctor, can't work as a bartender, and so forth.

A lawyer/cop/doctor/bartender all hold a responsibility to "protect" others an NBA player does not. I don't follow this sport much but a skateboarder named Ryan Sheckler went pro at 13 years old in the US.

Hellcrooner
04-18-2014, 11:26 PM
Euroleague says thanks.
More 18 year old players that want to start making money will come here.

Arch Stanton
04-18-2014, 11:27 PM
I like it. Makes college bball more exciting and takes some risk away for the bottom feeders who should have the best opportunity to draft the best players.

Shammyguy3
04-18-2014, 11:27 PM
This rule benefits rich colleges who exploit teens but has no benefit for the actual players. I hate it.

If you hate that it exploits teens, then why do teens consistently overlook the opportunity to get paid overseas? Teens themselves aren't helping their own case in this regard. I do agree, they need more compensation than just a free tuition and room/board (although they DO get that) ... but that's not reason enough to not raise the age limit imo

Shammyguy3
04-18-2014, 11:29 PM
A lawyer/cop/doctor/bartender all hold a responsibility to "protect" others an NBA player does not.

The NBA owners have a responsibility to protect their own product and their own business. They can do so by decreasing the risk taken on young players.

slashsnake
04-18-2014, 11:30 PM
I think NBA players and elite athletes get plenty of chances that the normal person doesn't so I won't sit here and argue about what is "fair" or not. Have to wait a couple years to earn 10 million, so be it.

What I do think is that if this makes the NBA and NCAA basketball better, go for it. I'm not in here fighting for college and pro rights like they are some 3rd world tribe being decimated by rebels, selling off their kids, dying of cholera, while earning a dollar a year.

I want them to entertain me. Just my opinion but to me, the loss of that year isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things when it comes to me. If it makes the game better at both levels, I am for it.

ScottFromCanada
04-18-2014, 11:34 PM
I think NBA players and elite athletes get plenty of chances that the normal person doesn't so I won't sit here and argue about what is "fair" or not. Have to wait a couple years to earn 10 million, so be it.

What I do think is that if this makes the NBA and NCAA basketball better, go for it. I'm not in here fighting for college and pro rights like they are some 3rd world tribe being decimated by rebels, selling off their kids, dying of cholera, while earning a dollar a year.

I want them to entertain me. Just my opinion but to me, the loss of that year isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things when it comes to me. If it makes the game better at both levels, I am for it.

We shouldn't be compare these people to the average joe's because they aren't we should be comparing them to other athletes of other sports. I don't think this rule is going to benefit the NCAA anyways I think this is the start of the D-league taking over.

slashsnake
04-19-2014, 12:17 AM
We shouldn't be compare these people to the average joe's because they aren't we should be comparing them to other athletes of other sports. I don't think this rule is going to benefit the NCAA anyways I think this is the start of the D-league taking over.

So like the NFL where it is three years and you run a much higher risk of injury and don't get guaranteed contracts?

My point is not who I am comparing them to, but just that I don't care that they miss out a year on pro ball if it makes the game better. If you are good enough to go pro straight out of college, get your insurance for injury so you know you will be a millionaire no matter what and suck it up.

And it will be tough for the D league to take over. They pay crap. 25k a year at best average is 19k a year. Say you wanted to take that up to what euro leagues could pay. You are looking at paying out another mil a team. For some teams that puts them in the red.

Hmmm, national attention, thousands of fans, prime time media attention, building your brand into something Nike might want to invest in, some of the best coaches at building talent for an upcoming NBA career...

or playing the D league playoffs for 500 bucks in front of 400 fans for a coach who's biggest success was being the head coach of Tufts University in the 80's and the Globetrotters, and maybe getting carried on AM radio rebroadcast at 2AM....

Why should the NBA pay out that kind of money to try and draw in college athletes. Should they pay out millions as well for elite coaches to get those highschool kids out there? I like Eddie Najera a LOT. He was one of my favorite players. But if I am choosing where I want to prep for my NBA career and my choices are Calipari, Donovan, Izzo, Pitino, Boeheim, and Najera... guess who I am picking. So do you pay Roy Williams 3 mil a year to get your guys out there?

And training facilities. We are talking about NCAA programs that have spent tens of millions in their facilities.. Or the civic center in Ohio that is 60+ years old, or the Portland Exposition building... which according to their website was built to "put portland Maine on the map with their agricultural show in 1915"...

This http://www.nba.com/dleague/losangeles/121107_TrainingCampRoster.html

or this

http://www.funscrape.com/Image/43657/Duke+Basketball+Stadium.html

Supamauhn
04-19-2014, 12:47 AM
What is not fair is that they are restricting the players from USA. These rules won't apply to international players which is the only reason I don't see this making sense? If they want to do it... Make it 20 years old no matter what.

goingfor28
04-19-2014, 12:58 AM
The NBA owners have a responsibility to protect their own product and their own business. They can do so by decreasing the risk taken on young players.

They aren't forced to draft them. They could pass on an 18 or 19 yr old and take someone 20 or older

NYMetros
04-19-2014, 01:03 AM
The year after this rule gets implemented the draft is gunna be super weak :laugh2:

nobody's gonna be tanking that year

slashsnake
04-19-2014, 01:29 AM
What is not fair is that they are restricting the players from USA. These rules won't apply to international players which is the only reason I don't see this making sense? If they want to do it... Make it 20 years old no matter what.

Isn't he saying that though. I know he said he wanted a better relationship with the NCAA, but I don't remember him saying anything other than 2 years removed from high school or 20 years old.

I don't think he said anything that would prohibit a Brandon Jennings type situation. And that there is why the D league will be tough to draw top high school talent if they want to make money. $25,000 in the D league, or Jennings way, where he made 3.65 million through his contract and under armour deal.

And I thought it applied the same way to international players. Rudy Gobert I thought had to play pro in france for a year first. Same with Abrines and Jean-Charles.

slashsnake
04-19-2014, 01:32 AM
The year after this rule gets implemented the draft is gunna be super weak :laugh2:

nobody's gonna be tanking that year

That will be a crappy year to be in the top 5. Aldridge and Roy are the only all-stars taken in the top 20 picks of the 2006 draft when it went to one and done. So I guess Portland can tank

Hellcrooner
04-19-2014, 01:36 AM
International players have to abide to the rules too.

torocan
04-19-2014, 08:52 AM
I think the important part is what the NBA will do in terms of "subsidizing" these college players.

There has been talk of bridging the scholarship/expense gap (for player expenses in the off season and helping cover in-season expenses) as well as medical insurance. If the players get medical insurance and some financial assistance (remember, the VAST majority of D1 players don't make it to the NBA and are NOT allowed to work), then I'm actually okay with it. Especially since the NBA will be footing more of that part of the bill instead of the other students at the school.

More mature players is a good thing. Better developed skill sets is a good thing. Better NCAA basketball is a good thing. That some kids might say, "I've already done 2 years, might as well get my degree" isn't a bad thing either.

And players that are determined to go pro can STILL get paid overseas or join the D-league.

As long as the NBA is putting up their dough as well and most college players benefit, then I'm okay with it.

BoSox47
04-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Terrible idea. A good portion of these kids are looking to provide for their families. If they can get a job paying hundreds of thousands of dollars at any age even millions they should be able to do that if a team feels that are capable. Just makes it more likely for a player to injure them self and lose a chance at that contract, while allowing NCAA to further exploit its players athletes and make millions of dollars off of them.

As well as now take another year out of a players career, hindering their stats and further cementing stats in nba history and making them more underachieve.

todu82
04-19-2014, 10:03 AM
It's a good idea, enough of these 1 and done college players.

mightybosstone
04-19-2014, 10:15 AM
I actually really like the idea. Most guys who come out after one season need more seasoning and end up spending time in the D-League anyway. It's very rare nowadays that we get a guy come out after one season an have a substantial impact for an NBA team. There's usually 1-2 guys like that per draft. This will hurt those players, but it will help the vast majority of the incoming NBA guys to mature and be more well-rounded players and men before getting to the league. Obviously this also helps the college game, as well.

I'd also be supporting of a rule that would allow those elite 18 year olds to enter the draft, but force everyone else to play college for at least two years. We'd probably see more 18 year olds enter the draft than probably should, but most guys will want to improve their draft stock by playing two years at the collegiate level.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Terrible idea. A good portion of these kids are looking to provide for their families. If they can get a job paying hundreds of thousands of dollars at any age even millions they should be able to do that if a team feels that are capable. Just makes it more likely for a player to injure them self and lose a chance at that contract, while allowing NCAA to further exploit its players athletes and make millions of dollars off of them.

As well as now take another year out of a players career, hindering their stats and further cementing stats in nba history and making them more underachieve.

Play in the D-League or internationally.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Would prefer if it was no limit at all. But I like this better than the 1 year limit. Make it straight from high school or 2 years minimum.

Gormans Mic
04-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Stupid

and the nba as a private organization has the right to limit player ages if they want. Its that simple.

Shammyguy3
04-19-2014, 10:35 AM
They aren't forced to draft them. They could pass on an 18 or 19 yr old and take someone 20 or older

That's true. But the kids aren't forced to play for free. They have a choice too, of going overseas to a professional league ya know.

I actually really like the idea. Most guys who come out after one season need more seasoning and end up spending time in the D-League anyway. It's very rare nowadays that we get a guy come out after one season an have a substantial impact for an NBA team. There's usually 1-2 guys like that per draft. This will hurt those players, but it will help the vast majority of the incoming NBA guys to mature and be more well-rounded players and men before getting to the league. Obviously this also helps the college game, as well.

I'd also be supporting of a rule that would allow those elite 18 year olds to enter the draft, but force everyone else to play college for at least two years. We'd probably see more 18 year olds enter the draft than probably should, but most guys will want to improve their draft stock by playing two years at the collegiate level.

Yup. And I'd totally be okay with that rule too, of which both you and Raps below like.

Would prefer if it was no limit at all. But I like this better than the 1 year limit. Make it straight from high school or 2 years minimum.

This would give players another choice, an option to get paid not restricted to the d-league or playing in a professional league overseas. But, the chances that these kids get drafted straight from the gate at the position they'd like to be drafted at aren't likely. Which means, a team with a top-10 draft pick won't take the risk on setting their franchise back a few years by picking said player. Dropping out of the lottery, or heck even the first round, would be an incentive for the high school graduate to go overseas or take the 2 year college route.

slashsnake
04-19-2014, 10:50 PM
I think the important part is what the NBA will do in terms of "subsidizing" these college players.

As long as the NBA is putting up their dough as well and most college players benefit, then I'm okay with it.

I think that should be up to the NCAA. The NBA can subsidize them by playing in their subsidized D league. If the players wants the free education, being able to play on a bigger stage, make more of a name for himself and better coaching... then let the NCAA do it with the billions they make.

Like you said... 99% of these guys don't make it to the NBA. I don't see a single reason the NBA should give them a handout. If they want to be close to home they can choose the NCAA. If they want to play pro in the US, they can go to the D league. If they want to make millions at 18, they can go overseas. Sure there is no "perfect" choice put on a platter for them, but they have a LOT of good options there.

Supamauhn
04-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Okay I thought the International players could come in whenever (Which is why you had situations like Jeremy Tyler, etc..)

You can drop out of high school and start working at 16/17
You can join the Military at age 17
You can get married at 16 in certain states (and some states any age..)

Why make the NBA 20 years old to join? It is not as physically demanding as football which is why they have their age requirement. They should just do it like they do in High School when you want to move up a level and you are not of age. You must to a psyche test and have a physical to make sure you are prepared to play in the league.

Could you imagine Lebron James playing 2 years of college basketball? That would be nuts! What a waste of time! Not to mention that if players decide to go overseas and start playing, the NBA might lose out to some international markets (The Chinese love their basketball players... Hell, Starburry has a statue over there for Pete's sake!)

torocan
04-20-2014, 07:43 AM
I think that should be up to the NCAA. The NBA can subsidize them by playing in their subsidized D league. If the players wants the free education, being able to play on a bigger stage, make more of a name for himself and better coaching... then let the NCAA do it with the billions they make.

Like you said... 99% of these guys don't make it to the NBA. I don't see a single reason the NBA should give them a handout. If they want to be close to home they can choose the NCAA. If they want to play pro in the US, they can go to the D league. If they want to make millions at 18, they can go overseas. Sure there is no "perfect" choice put on a platter for them, but they have a LOT of good options there.

Personally I think both should bear the cost. The NCAA is a factory for producing basketball players. The NCAA benefits for the 1-2 years that the player is there. The NBA benefits for the entire life of the career of the players that make it to the NBA.

I kind of view it the same way that companies provide scholarships and funding for schools that produce students specific to their industry. They benefit by getting higher quality students, so it makes sense for them to bear some of the cost if they want a say in the construction and quality of the curriculum.

In this case if the NBA wants a say in the NCAA rules (making it closer to NBA rules) and the quality of life for the students (medical insurance, nutrition plans, etc), then I don't see a problem with them being committed financially to make sure that the NCAA produces higher quality players.

ChiSox219
04-20-2014, 09:33 AM

Yup, it's really pathetic and I don't know why any fan would support this.

Raidaz4Life
04-20-2014, 09:44 AM
Its a pretty disgusting rule, if a player wants to play in the NBA as a consenting adult and a team is willing to sign them then I see absolutely no issue here. There is virtually no logic to it at all.

Alayla
04-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Honestly it should be lowered

BoSox47
04-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Play in the D-League or internationally.

Why play d league or internationally if teams in the nba are willing to pay you to be on their team. All this is doing is limiting the ability for people to provide for their families and increasing the chance they get injured before their career begins.

HoodedSB
04-20-2014, 03:28 PM
I hate this, players should be able to play as early as teams are willing to take risks on them. I highly doubt we would see many guys getting drafted out of HS, but if they can hang they shouldn't be forced to wait 2 years.

Jamiecballer
04-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Its great for once to see a huge moneymaking corporation doing what is best for the quality of its game even if it rubs some people the wrong way or keeps the next big thing from getting there a year or two earlier.

I like it.

COOLbeans
04-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Great idea and will make for a better league

Shammyguy3
04-20-2014, 09:30 PM
Okay I thought the International players could come in whenever (Which is why you had situations like Jeremy Tyler, etc..)

You can drop out of high school and start working at 16/17
You can join the Military at age 17
You can get married at 16 in certain states (and some states any age..)

Why make the NBA 20 years old to join? It is not as physically demanding as football which is why they have their age requirement. They should just do it like they do in High School when you want to move up a level and you are not of age. You must to a psyche test and have a physical to make sure you are prepared to play in the league.

Could you imagine Lebron James playing 2 years of college basketball? That would be nuts! What a waste of time! Not to mention that if players decide to go overseas and start playing, the NBA might lose out to some international markets (The Chinese love their basketball players... Hell, Starburry has a statue over there for Pete's sake!)

The NBA is a private corporation, and as an employer they have the ability to set standards for people that work for them.

Supamauhn
04-21-2014, 03:44 AM
The NBA is a private corporation, and as an employer they have the ability to set standards for people that work for them.

Then why have a forum to discuss opinions. You solve it.