PDA

View Full Version : Street Hoops: Do you play within yourself? What's your role?

Chronz
04-17-2014, 06:46 PM
When you run 5's, do you all have a role you guys try to respect and stay within, or are you a loose cannon constantly experimenting? With my friends, we've all been playing for so long that we pretty much stay in line with each other (You wont see guys wanting to take the ball up if they belong in the post), I imagine its the same with most of you.

But theres always that one guy who overextends himself. In my case it was our tallest friend who we gladly concede the jumper to, he was more than willing to chuck. The funny thing is, hes actually gotten better at the perimeter game now, I mean, we still fear him more in the paint but we're not all shocked when he takes it to the rack off a pump fake.

My role is always a secondary one, I try to compliment who ever Im playing with, which is limited to spot ball handling duties and mid range shooting, not bad IMO. In my younger days I used to play great man defense, Im still great at stopping 1 on 2 breaks and team defense.

So anyways, I have a few questions

Whats your role when you play. Do your teammates play within their roles?

AND

Is there anyone you hate playing with? What about their game do you dislike.

dtmagnet
04-17-2014, 06:52 PM
I usually just play 2 on 2, and we just do pick and roll since most of my friends don't know how to play.

P&GRealist
04-17-2014, 06:54 PM
I usually end up just playing with myself.

Chronz
04-17-2014, 06:55 PM
I will cry for you both tonight...

chi-townlove1
04-17-2014, 06:55 PM
When I run 5's which is basically on a daily basis, I pick up that 2 guard role. I am a lockdown defender and I pride myself on that. I also shoot a consistent three. I'm not good at putting the ball on the floor so I have to rely on others to create while I run off the screens and hit my open shots. So yeah that's me in a nut shell

KnicksorBust
04-17-2014, 06:56 PM
When you run 5's, do you all have a role you guys try to respect and stay within, or are you a loose cannon constantly experimenting? With my friends, we've all been playing for so long that we pretty much stay in line with each other (You wont see guys wanting to take the ball up if they belong in the post), I imagine its the same with most of you.

But theres always that one guy who overextends himself. In my case it was our tallest friend who we gladly concede the jumper to, he was more than willing to chuck. The funny thing is, hes actually gotten better at the perimeter game now, I mean, we still fear him more in the paint but we're not all shocked when he takes it to the rack.

My role is always a secondary one, I try to compliment who ever Im playing with, which is limited to spot PG duties and mid range shooting, not bad IMO.

AND

Funny you should say this because I just competed in a student vs. faculty game at the high school. We played the seniors who weren't on the basketball team. So basically the stud football/wrestlers and a few throw-ins. There was also this kid who couldn't play varsity this year because of grades. He hit 8 threes on us and almost cost us the game. It's typically a close game.

Anyway, I'm a 3-4 tweener and I dropped a filthy 4pt/6rebound/2assist line. :laugh: Had a nice head-fake/jump-hook in the post that got some "oohs" from the crowd. I'm the guy though who tries too hard and is typically doing annoying stuff like this:

http://topicstock.pantip.com/supachalasai/topicstock/2010/01/S8748216/S8748216-82.jpg

I'm also always setting illegal screens on offense bc I know they will never get called and I want my team to get easy baskets.

Avenged
04-17-2014, 06:58 PM

:drool:

Tanakid777
04-17-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm essentially KnicksorBust with a catch and shoot game. Lurl

Chronz
04-17-2014, 07:20 PM
When I run 5's which is basically on a daily basis, I pick up that 2 guard role. I am a lockdown defender and I pride myself on that. I also shoot a consistent three. I'm not good at putting the ball on the floor so I have to rely on others to create while I run off the screens and hit my open shots. So yeah that's me in a nut shell

I've always wanted to emulate that sort of game, for awhile my favorite play was a simple pin down that got me open on the right elbow, with my momentum coming off the screen, catching and shooting felt so natural. That part of my game has degraded because Im not a natural shooter, I really have to work on it to be consistent with it. I do have a quick first step compared to most my friends tho. Still, its a great feeling knowing your teammates are looking for you to get open as opposed to dumping it off to you as a last resort in the drive and kick.

L8kers4life
04-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Funny you should say this because I just competed in a student vs. faculty game at the high school. We played the seniors who weren't on the basketball team. So basically the stud football/wrestlers and a few throw-ins. There was also this kid who couldn't play varsity this year because of grades. He hit 8 threes on us and almost cost us the game. It's typically a close game.

Anyway, I'm a 3-4 tweener and I dropped a filthy 4pt/6rebound/2assist line. :laugh: Had a nice head-fake/jump-hook in the post that got some "oohs" from the crowd. I'm the guy though who tries too hard and is typically doing annoying stuff like this:

http://topicstock.pantip.com/supachalasai/topicstock/2010/01/S8748216/S8748216-82.jpg

I'm also always setting illegal screens on offense bc I know they will never get called and I want my team to get easy baskets.

I was a football player on scholarship in college and walked on the Basketball team there as well. I'm in a really good rec league in Westchester CA, Game, Leon Powe, Smush Parker, Keith Van Horn, Snoop, are also in the league, and I'm averaging 24 and 13, I'm 6 foot 4 and 285lbs, definitly out of shape by my standards, but I dominate the glass and have a good inside game and a good jumper, because I play 4 or 5 but was a reciever/SF in college, most guys dont realize how quick I am for my size, so I usually hit the 3 from the top of the key 3 or 4 times a game because people think I'm too big to shoot, it's pretty funny, but inside I'm nasty and usually just bully people for offensive boards and put backs.

hugepatsfan
04-17-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm 5'6" so on offense I pretty much get my shot blocked. If not, I just miss on my own. Rebounding... 5'6". I think that's all I need to say on that one. I'm a pretty decent on ball defender though. I have quick feet and long arms so I can play respectable on that end.

Hawkeye15
04-17-2014, 07:33 PM
I haven't played in a few years, it just hurts my back now (I had a back injury my sophomore year that has just lingered and effed with me, and by age 34-35, it just wasn't worth it anymore to play, and then be in pain for 3 days).

But, when I played all the time, I am basically a small SG who was always in really good shape, and could shoot from pretty much anywhere. But, I also get tunnel vision, and have never been much of a distributor, though I know my limits and wouldn't call myself a ball hog at all, just that I know my role, and that is to get open, and score, and run as fast as possible in transition.

Defensively, I was about average, I never invested the natural effort really, but I wasn't a liability. If I had to compare myself to an NBA player, it would probably be Rip Hamilton is my role.

The players I have playing WITH are dominant ball handlers who dribble forever, meaning, I am running around screens and making hard cuts for virtually no reason. When I play with them, I tend to have zero impact, because I stop moving and doing what makes me best.

The players I hate playing AGAINST are really big SG's that are able to use their size and pin me low. I never go for steals, so I end up eventually giving up a good look to a player like that.

FOBolous
04-17-2014, 07:43 PM
i don't know what my "role" is but i do what i do best. i guard the other team's best perimeter scorer on defense. on offense, i play in the post...boxing out, rebounding, put backs, cleaning up around the rim, and post up if i have a favorable matchup. i don't really know what my "role" is per say or what NBA player i am similar to.

Tony_Starks
04-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Depends on who I'm playing with. If its just a pick up game at the gym I can kindof freestyle a bit. My game is probably most similar to Odom where I don't do one thing great but I'm pretty solid all the way around for a big guy and I have a nice crossover and step back.

If I'm in a adult league I pretty much play the high post because the guards I play with are quick and really good and I for damn sure ain't trying to chase the opposing young guards all over the court...

Shammyguy3
04-17-2014, 08:03 PM
I'm your average 5'11" white dude in every sense of the word. Used to be a really good shooter, but I don't play that much anymore so I genuinely suck shooting nowadays. I'm a good rebounder for my size, and a good shot blocker. Can defend the bigger perimeter guys pretty well, but smaller quicker guards (especially lefties for some reason) usually get past me. Guys I play with, well... I guess they all know their roles pretty well, but our strengths don't particularly compliment each other.

And I hate playing with guys that never pass the ball (Ben Gordon type of guys). Like dude, I'm not gonna shoot it unless I'm open because that's not my forte anymore. Give it up and you'll get it right back.

MrfadeawayJB
04-17-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm a combo guard with great shooting ability. I can catch and shoot, or shoot off the dribble effectively. I can't always create space all the time so it's important my shot sets up my drive. I can hit midrange, floaters, etc. I have trouble slashing through contact though. Good handles, good passer. I always make the smart play but can add a little flash to it. Always move around on offense without the ball. Defensively, I communicate well and play smart, but I'm a below average defender.

I've been told I play like tmac mainly because of my "slow motion" "smooth" style of play.

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-17-2014, 08:56 PM

But theres always that one guy who overextends himself. In my case it was our tallest friend who we gladly concede the jumper to, he was more than willing to chuck. The funny thing is, hes actually gotten better at the perimeter game now, I mean, we still fear him more in the paint but we're not all shocked when he takes it to the rack off a pump fake.

My role is always a secondary one, I try to compliment who ever Im playing with, which is limited to spot ball handling duties and mid range shooting, not bad IMO. In my younger days I used to play great man defense, Im still great at stopping 1 on 2 breaks and team defense.

AND

Lol, Chronz you've never played a real game in your whole life. I picture you as a 5'10 140 pound college student who surfs the web all day. Let's not lie bro( even though this is the place to do so).

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-17-2014, 08:57 PM
In before DMF comes in and tells us about his d-1 college days and how he almost went pro.

mngopher35
04-17-2014, 09:07 PM
I am a sf/pf depending on the game and generally defend the opposing teams best player (unless that player is a quick pg/sg or C size). I prefer defending pf though because I can make it extremely difficult to get the ball into the post. If I don't get 2+ steals on entry passes it is disappointing to me. I make up for lack of size with effort and timing on rebounding.

Offensively I am not great but I play good team ball. I only shoot 3's wide open and still only hit like 30%. I am a good facilitator though and good cutter as well. Most of my baskets probably come off cutting to the hoop and some offensive rebounds (sloppy handling skills).

KnicksorBust
04-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Writing your own little historic blurb of your highlights is 100x more fun than reading other peoples.

bathroom_man
04-17-2014, 09:10 PM
i play like lebron james and kobe bryant

NBA_Starter
04-17-2014, 09:13 PM
I have a nice fadeaway jumper but I can't lie my defense needs some work.

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Anyways, when I used to play in high school and after, I was always the Kyle korver type of player. I was never the best at ball handling so I would just pick my spots and splash, I have insane range. Occasionally I would take my defender one on one and create my own shot, but I never was the best at getting away from double teams. My defense has always been above average, but I guess my downfall was falling for fakes and going for the steal too much. I miss playing, but I'm too old for it now, I would get eaten up by these young bucks.

tm95835
04-17-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm the tallest of my friends and we regularly play 3v3, but I just settle for threes because I'm so lazy and don't have the competitiveness to drive each time. I'm not good enough at threes to validate my shots, so occasionally will get in the post and try and do a dream shake or shimmy fadeaway which rims out

Lazy will summarise my game perfectly, finger rolls and all upper body shots which require minimal energy

goingfor28
04-17-2014, 09:26 PM

I knew this answer wouldn't take long haha

Guppyfighter
04-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Elite defense and a spot of up mid ranger shooter. I am working on my three, but it's bad.

And I know what you are all thinking, but don't worry. Midrange is more defensible as a practice when there are no free throws. Still, I really should be able to hit threes. No excuse.

I checked my percentage (It was a sample of 35 shots) and hit 54 percent of my shots. There is a margin of error of 4 percent though.

Allphakenny1
04-17-2014, 09:43 PM
5'11 center because all of my friends are short. Amazing defender, rebounder, and passer for a big man. On offense if I do anything other than a put back then I am playing outside of my role. I should never put the ball on the floor or shoot outside of the 2-3 foot range. My friends and I usually stay within our roles. We play up to 11, I tend to average 1pt a game.

Allphakenny1
04-17-2014, 09:45 PM

I'm a teacher too, but at the middle school level. We dominate those 8th graders; would be fun to play better competition.

Deception
04-18-2014, 01:13 AM
In 5's I'm one of the shorter players on the court but I don't play like it, I time my rebounds well. I've got pretty decent vision for passing lanes but I'm a horrible ball handler, dominate with my right mostly. I shoot the hell of the 3 and am decent finishing around the rim.

sens#11fan
04-18-2014, 01:59 AM
I play pg, i'm not the most athletic guard, but i have a high IQ for the game. I'm not the best player when it comes to runs, but i am a team player. I literally play lock down defense and i am deadly in the midrange if you give me some space. I am also a great playmaker, i can make fancy passes and i play for the team. I am constantly moving on offense, even without the ball and i go for offensive rebounds. I guess you can say i am hyper like westbrook, as i bust my *** on both ends of the floor.

dtmagnet
04-18-2014, 02:30 AM
Writing your own little historic blurb of your highlights is 100x more fun than reading other peoples.

Thats why I love this kind of thread, you get to read the BS that people write about themselves.

Supreme LA
04-18-2014, 04:30 AM
I wish we could set a PSD pick up game or tourney. I would whipe the floor with all of you clowns.

6'3" PG

Played against/with and held my own against guys like Chuck Hayes, Adrian Oliver, Bobby Jackson (post-career), Mitch Richmond (post-career), Damian Lillard, and more.

shep33
04-18-2014, 04:55 AM
I probably average 5 points, 4 rebounds, 2 dimes, 4 fouls and shoot 23% from the field. I'm basically Roy Hibbert

PurpleLynch
04-18-2014, 07:28 AM
On offense I rely on my penetration skills(that are good anyway),because there are better shooters than me when I play.On defense I'm a good on ball defender.But every now and then I shoot from mid and from the three point line(with,sadly,poor results :D).I'm also a great rebounder and that's my primary strenght(on offense and on defense).

I play as an undersized small forward,but my hustling style of play can compensate my glaring weaknesses.

PurpleLynch
04-18-2014, 07:36 AM
I wish we could set a PSD pick up game or tourney. I would whipe the floor with all of you clowns.

6'3" PG

Played against/with and held my own against guys like Chuck Hayes, Adrian Oliver, Bobby Jackson (post-career), Mitch Richmond (post-career), Damian Lillard, and more.

I think that I'm talking for all of us when I say thanks for your compliments.

And dude,how old Lillard was when you "held your own" against him?Hell,it's a bold statement saying that "you held your own" against all the players you have mentioned.

D-Leethal
04-18-2014, 10:32 AM
When I played organized ball I was always a sharpshooter Steve Novak type but I was always a great pick and roll passer because I am tall and can hit the roller over the top and have a sweet thread-the-needle pass. Once I stopped practicing every day, started playing pickup for fun every now and then, my shot went away so I focus more on running pick and rolls on offense and playing smart team D and boxing out. I was always a good shooter but couldn't score off the bounce so I look to pass more than anything now and try to play smart - because most of the kids I play with are gunners.

adidas2307
04-18-2014, 10:44 AM
My friends and I get 5's on a nearly everyday basis. Since we play together so much we all know our roles and where we fit in. I'm one of the tallest but I can handle the ball and like to find the open man so I play the point quite a bit. I've always tried to model my game after John Stockton, with just a little more unnecessary flash. :P Good help defender, but kind of slow man-defense when I'm up against short, quick guys.

We also like to record our games on video, just because we're a bunch of white guys that find it cool to have footage of our pretty mediocre to average basketball games. Here's actually a video of the top ten crossovers of the "2012 season" (summer of 2012). I'm at #9, #8, #5, #3, and #2 is where my friend makes me look absolutely silly on D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2AJydF5pP4

If you do happen to watch the video, I don't need to hear about how bad we look. Only two people in that entire video played high school basketball and one of those two is the older guy at 2:10. Everyone else, with the exception of one or two people, did not play a sport in high school. Just a group of somewhat nerdy guys that like to play basketball for basketball's sake.

KingPosey
04-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Oh I love these threads and reading these posts

Sadds The Gr8
04-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Haven't played on a daily basis in like 4-5 Years but game tape on me

-usually the pg when I play with my friends
-ambidextrous, naturally feel more comfortable handling and dribbling with/to my left, but shoot with my right
- not a high leaper at all but am fast end to end
- streaky shooter...either really hot or cold as hell
-crappy midrange pullup game but love fading to my right on shots.
-no flashy handles at all for a pg, so I can struggle against those energetic mother****ers that wanna full court press the whole Damn game
-good passer, especially on pnr
- defense comes and goes. When I'm on fire or playing well offensively, my defense will follow

My friends are great to play with but I hateeeeeeeeee playing with random people that are pgs that wanna dribble the ball for 95 seconds at the top of the key and seek fancy passes...like move the ball you ****ing dick head

MrfadeawayJB
04-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Played today with a bunch of guys that play juco and two guys that play at Kentucky. We had some size in the gym today, 6'8, 6'8, 6'6, and 6'4

kdspurman
04-18-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm only like 5'7, but I'm usually the guy getting a lot of rebounds and defending other guys team players. Being
sort of a pest. (watched a lot of Bowen, and no I don't undercut jump shooters :) ) I mean picking guys up full court at times, and giving very little breathing room.

Don't have a great jump shot but I'm good at getting by guys and into the paint and finishing with a tear drop and hitting a bank shot from either block. Used to have good handle years ago, but it's not as strong anymore. I don't usually look for my offense unless I feel I have an obvious match up advantage. I pride myself more on annoying whoever I'm guarding, getting steals, boards, etc...

WOwolfOL
04-19-2014, 01:22 AM
I'm 6'5 but I never really learned post moves. I do the Dream Shake or some variation sometimes, but for the most part I would rather spot-up from just outside the key, or set screens for the slashers. I really suck at scoring from the post, especially when I get doubled. When that happens I can usually toss an alley oop over just about anybody or just hit someone on the perimeter. I am a decent shooter from 8-14 feet.

On defense I don't like to camp; I'd rather play passing lanes and play help defense. I always get my blocks and boards but I just like getting my hands on the ball in any way I can. I'm a Noah type player.

John Walls Era
04-19-2014, 01:27 AM
A homeless mans Iverson without the handles.

But I think I'm Steph Curry that can post up (keyword: I think... I'm not).

Minimal
04-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Playing as PG most of the time, but go for rebounds if someone shoots as I'm quite tall compared to others and can get some points under basket. Love to dribble and crossover players and drive to the basket for a layup or a floater (can't jumpshot from close, really bad at that). Love isolation plays, if I have a weak defender on me.

Em who I don't like playing with is some small guy ala Nate Robinson who dribbles the ball for mazzilion seconds and ends up jacking up a bad jumpshot from far away all the time. He just can't shoot, but acts as he is a baller. He probably makes only 10% of his jumpshots.

Meaze_Gibson
04-19-2014, 09:34 AM
im 6'3 225 so in street ball i am a center lol. my role i pride myself on is locking down the best player no matter the height, rebounding, tip ins, and winning. where i play in houston if you dont win it is a long wait. if a player is a scorer even if they are not better than me at scoring i will concede that role so long as we are winning. if i am needed to score i use post moves and triple threats at foul line.

Duncan = Donkey
04-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Oh I love these threads and reading these posts

Same, you can smell the BS on every single one of them - like holding your own against an NBA all star:laugh2:

True Sports Fan
04-19-2014, 10:29 AM
I'm 6'0 C but mostly because most of my friends are short lol. I'm that average white dude that has no post game, no shot lol. I can drive as well but have trouble finishing with my left. Only shot I can really make Is a baseline jumper but I have to have a solid look. I'm a solid post defender meaning I can guard whoever is posting up, but whenever you have guards driving or w/e I'm average on rotations. I'm basically that guy who will have 6 and10 for a couple games than have a random 20 Point game.

Chronz
04-19-2014, 12:43 PM
My friends and I get 5's on a nearly everyday basis. Since we play together so much we all know our roles and where we fit in. I'm one of the tallest but I can handle the ball and like to find the open man so I play the point quite a bit. I've always tried to model my game after John Stockton, with just a little more unnecessary flash. :P Good help defender, but kind of slow man-defense when I'm up against short, quick guys.

We also like to record our games on video, just because we're a bunch of white guys that find it cool to have footage of our pretty mediocre to average basketball games. Here's actually a video of the top ten crossovers of the "2012 season" (summer of 2012). I'm at #9, #8, #5, #3, and #2 is where my friend makes me look absolutely silly on D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2AJydF5pP4

If you do happen to watch the video, I don't need to hear about how bad we look. Only two people in that entire video played high school basketball and one of those two is the older guy at 2:10. Everyone else, with the exception of one or two people, did not play a sport in high school. Just a group of somewhat nerdy guys that like to play basketball for basketball's sake.

Props for the footage, do you guys ever play on really short rims and just skywalk?

adidas2307
04-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Props for the footage, do you guys ever play on really short rims and just skywalk?

Thanks! It definitely adds a little more fun to it. And whenever we only get about four or so guys and we're up to it, we go to the elementary school and play there. "Midge-hoop" is what we call it haha.

MTar786
04-20-2014, 02:25 AM
i used to play in the nba but i got bored and pursued other interests. i would probably beat all of you easily.. with my eyes closed. I've held my own with the greatest of players. i even whooped supreme la's *** when no one wanted to play with him because he was a ****** ball player.

slashsnake
04-20-2014, 02:33 AM
I used to play one on one with Michael Jordan. I killed him with my post up fadeaway. He kept telling me "man I need to learn that move". He kept begging me to come join his team... that they'd ship Pippen off and he could be my sidekick, but I told him that basketball was my gift to the world and I could never make money off it, that would be a sin.

Actually honest truth. In high school, I had a friend who lived in a pretty nice area of town in Florida. We'd go play hoops down the street from his house from time to time. One day we showed up and Bill Murray was playing there, so got to play him at 21 for a few hours.

lol, please
04-20-2014, 02:35 AM
im a cross between KD, Curry, and Lee, but im smaller than muggsy so I come off the bench as a role player.

Shlumpledink
04-20-2014, 03:07 AM
I play defense and box out for rebounds. On offense I don't dominate the ball, I hit the offensive boards and get a lot of points that way. Most pick up ballers don't box out too well, so its easy to weasel your way inside to get a quick couple of baskets.

Crackadalic
04-20-2014, 03:28 AM
Football was my first sport even though I love basketball back then but because I was smaller then most kids I played in small football leagues up until high school when I sprain my mcl

And since there wasn't football in my high school I started playing basketball more and more

Pretty much what I'm saying is because I played football I was really good with my lateral movement and I take pride on defending but because I couldn't score jack **** all I did was hustle defend and move the ball with the cut to the basket from time to time

Wasn't till after high school my jump shot was automatic but I still pretty much play the pg role that defends and hustles though I wasn't good at actually running an offense

jerellh528
04-20-2014, 04:02 AM
I play really slow but calculated, especially my footwork. So I usually am working in the post on offense, I'm generally short to be posting people up but my footwork, creativity and strength make up for it. I lack "quick twitch" muscles so my weakest point of my game is easily handles and slashing. I can back up anyone though. And when I get too gassed from a couple games and playing all out on defense, which I kind of emulate fisher as far as my defense goes, then usually I move about the 3 point line and settle for long jumpers. I make about 35% on average I'd say. I don't look to be creative passing because I've realized people at a lower skill level aren't always anticipating a pass so it sometimes leads to turnovers. Also for being my main strength on offense is in the post I absolutely suck at rebounding. I'm also proud of myself for having down a few difficult moves including sky hook and tear drop floater. Weak with my left and usually if I drive, it's going to the right. Good defender when I go all out but at 220 it's kinda hard and I get gassed pretty quick because I think my natural body weight should be around 180 but I've put on a lot of muscle mass the past few years. I don't play near as much as I used to now though. My girlfriend also used to play college and coach. And no, she's not ugly or a dike.

Guppyfighter
04-20-2014, 04:39 AM
We are all big fish in small ponds.

0nekhmer
04-20-2014, 12:13 PM
5'9" PG. I usually just play pickup with guys at my college, skill wise, average. Usually just play within myself, relying on my quickness and handles over strength. Occasionally like to post up when I get a weaker opponent. Pass first player, usually like to evaluate how guys like to score, and when they can't score is when I start "looking for mine"