PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Pelicans - The future is... ?

KnicksorBust
04-17-2014, 10:53 AM
The New Orleans Pelicans finished this season with a record of 34 wins and 48 losses. While not an impressive win total, they did improve 7 wins from the previous season while simultaneously dealing with a myriad of injuries to its most important players. One of the key players that the Pelicans lost to injury this season was Jrue Holiday. Holiday was a 2013 All-Star who averaged 18ppg/8apg/4rpg/2spg shooting 43%/37%/75% for the Sixers last season. He is also known to be an above average defensive player. To acquire Holiday, the Pelicans sacrificed Nerlens Noel (the 6th pick of the 2013 NBA Draft) and a 2014 1st round pick. Although a highly questionable trade, especially now, the Pelicans believed they were creating a young core around the following players:

G - Jrue Holiday (23)
G - Eric Gordon (25)
G/F - Tyreke Evans (24)
F - Ryan Anderson (25)
F/C - Anthony Davis (20)

Evans was the only player who even cracked 70 games. The problem is with Holiday-Gordon-Evans all making 8 figure salaries, and Ryan Anderson not too far behind, they will be near capped out for the foreseeable future.

The question this thread poses is:

How do you see the future for the Pelicans? Are they a team that just needs time to grow together (Grizzlies-Pacers-Blazers) or are they a misconstructed roster that needs to be broken up before they lose their young star?

mightybosstone
04-17-2014, 11:50 AM
I voted "foggy." I think there are just too many variables to predict with this team right now. Davis is unquestionably one of the bright young stars in this league and as long as he continues to develop, they'll be an interesting squad to watch and will at least be competitive. But if Kevin Love has taught us anything, it doesn't matter how good your star player is in the West. It's how you build that team around him and whether or not he can stay healthy.

The fact that Davis is only 21 and hasn't played 70 games in either of his first two seasons is a tad concerning. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but his health is a huge variable we can't really know at this point. I could see him staying healthy and topping 1,000+ games in his career or I could see him dealing with injuries and struggling to reach 800. Plus, they've got to keep, which is easier said than done in a smaller market like New Orleans.

As for the rest of the squad, it's not great. The fact that they're paying $26 million in each of the next two years to Eric Gordon and Tyreke Evans makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit. I don't trust either of those guys at this point and both were bad contracts. I did actually like the Holiday contract, though, and if he can stay healthy, I could see him being a weak No. 2 for a playoff team in the West. And Ryan Anderson would obviously be an ideal offensive front court companion to Davis if he could stay healthy. His contract was also a good move from the franchise.

I actually really like that core of Davis, Holiday and Anderson on paper if they can stay healthy. But Gordon and Evans are such wild cards and their contracts have the potential to be killers over the next two years. IF they can stay healthy (a big if), I think this team as currently constructed has the potential to crack the playoffs as a 6-8 seed the next two years. But I can't see them doing substantially better than that unless Davis turns into the second coming of Tim Duncan.

Sadds The Gr8
04-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Bright only because Reke has been awesome after the ASB and I'm falling into the Reke trap again. I think if they do a 2 guard thing with Reke/Holiday (bring Gordon off the bench instead or trade him if they can) and do a Dallas type 2 PG thing, they can be dangerous. I'd let Reke do more handling since he's a worse spot up shooter, but isn't the turnover machine Holiday is. Just really need a C and to trade Gordon

KnicksorBust
04-17-2014, 12:58 PM
I voted "foggy." I think there are just too many variables to predict with this team right now. Davis is unquestionably one of the bright young stars in this league and as long as he continues to develop, they'll be an interesting squad to watch and will at least be competitive. But if Kevin Love has taught us anything, it doesn't matter how good your star player is in the West. It's how you build that team around him and whether or not he can stay healthy.

The fact that Davis is only 21 and hasn't played 70 games in either of his first two seasons is a tad concerning. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but his health is a huge variable we can't really know at this point. I could see him staying healthy and topping 1,000+ games in his career or I could see him dealing with injuries and struggling to reach 800. Plus, they've got to keep, which is easier said than done in a smaller market like New Orleans.

As for the rest of the squad, it's not great. The fact that they're paying $26 million in each of the next two years to Eric Gordon and Tyreke Evans makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit. I don't trust either of those guys at this point and both were bad contracts. I did actually like the Holiday contract, though, and if he can stay healthy, I could see him being a weak No. 2 for a playoff team in the West. And Ryan Anderson would obviously be an ideal offensive front court companion to Davis if he could stay healthy. His contract was also a good move from the franchise.

I actually really like that core of Davis, Holiday and Anderson on paper if they can stay healthy. But Gordon and Evans are such wild cards and their contracts have the potential to be killers over the next two years. IF they can stay healthy (a big if), I think this team as currently constructed has the potential to crack the playoffs as a 6-8 seed the next two years. But I can't see them doing substantially better than that unless Davis turns into the second coming of Tim Duncan.

Would you try and trade Gordon or Evans?

KnicksorBust
04-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Bright only because Reke has been awesome after the ASB and I'm falling into the Reke trap again. I think if they do a 2 guard thing with Reke/Holiday (bring Gordon off the bench instead or trade him if they can) and do a Dallas type 2 PG thing, they can be dangerous. I'd let Reke do more handling since he's a worse spot up shooter, but isn't the turnover machine Holiday is. Just really need a C and to trade Gordon

Wouldnt Reke be better as the super sub? He loves playing with Morrow and can really hog the rock with scrubs around him.

ChiSox219
04-17-2014, 01:28 PM
They are set up as well as anyone for the modern game, if they stay healthy and grow a bit they can be title contenders for several years.

smith&wesson
04-17-2014, 01:43 PM
if jrue comes back healthy and evans and davis continue to play awesome basketball they have a chance to be really good for a while.. in the east they would be a playoff team..

KnicksorBust
04-17-2014, 01:44 PM
if jrue comes back healthy and evans and davis continue to play awesome basketball they have a chance to be really good for a while.. in the east they would be a playoff team..

But they arent in the East. Can they breakthrough in the loaded West?

KnicksorBust
04-17-2014, 01:45 PM
They are set up as well as anyone for the modern game, if they stay healthy and grow a bit they can be title contenders for several years.

You think Jrue-Gordon-Evans can play together?

Chronz
04-17-2014, 01:53 PM
They went all in on an odd core, I absolutely loathed the decisions they have made to build around AD. Much like Cleveland with LeBron, the cornerstone might be so good that they will become contenders anyway, but its a flawed construction. Not as bad as Cleveland but I feel like they should have welcomed 1 more losing season or at the very least, save some cap space to absorb deals that become available mid season or next off season.

mightybosstone
04-17-2014, 01:53 PM

Without question. I would try everything in my power to deal both of them if possible. Gordon may not be that difficult to move after next season, as he becomes a huge expiring contract, but there's another three years left of Evans, so they're likely stuck with him. If you're New Orleans, you need a Shane Battier type of guy. You need a veteran glue guy at SF who can defend and knock down threes. The Pelicans were second to last in threes attempted this year, and it's because that roster lacks shooters. Getting Holiday and Anderson back will certainly help spread the floor, but Aminu and Evans on the floor at the same time is pretty detrimental to your floor spacing.

mightybosstone
04-17-2014, 02:00 PM
I think the key to New Orleans' success is going to be Jrue Holiday. He does a lot of things well, but still suffers from terrible scoring inefficiency. The guy's a solid finisher around the rim and a great perimeter shooter, but he needs to take more threes, take fewer mid range shots, get to the rim more and create far more free throw attempts. I still think he has the potential to be a perennial All-Star caliber guy, but if he can't stay healthy and he doesn't make those improvements in his game, he'll never be the No. 2 New Orleans needs him to become.

KnicksorBust
04-17-2014, 02:03 PM
They went all in on an odd core, I absolutely loathed the decisions they have made to build around AD. Much like Cleveland with LeBron, the cornerstone might be so good that they will become contenders anyway, but its a flawed construction. Not as bad as Cleveland but I feel like they should have welcomed 1 more losing season or at the very least, save some cap space to absorb deals that become available mid season or next off season.

They did give him a ton of shooters... that doesnt seem to hurt...what specifically didnt you like?

KnicksorBust
04-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Without question. I would try everything in my power to deal both of them if possible. Gordon may not be that difficult to move after next season, as he becomes a huge expiring contract, but there's another three years left of Evans, so they're likely stuck with him. If you're New Orleans, you need a Shane Battier type of guy. You need a veteran glue guy at SF who can defend and knock down threes. The Pelicans were second to last in threes attempted this year, and it's because that roster lacks shooters. Getting Holiday and Anderson back will certainly help spread the floor, but Aminu and Evans on the floor at the same time is pretty detrimental to your floor spacing.

Holiday, Gordon, Morrow, Ryan Anderson... isnt that enough shooting?

mightybosstone
04-17-2014, 02:11 PM

It sort of depends on the lineup. If you've got Evans playing SG and not SF, who's your shooter at SF to counter Evans' poor perimeter shooting? They really don't have anybody. I suppose Morrow can play SF in a pinch, but I wouldn't want him getting substantial minutes there. And when you consider that Evans is the guy they're going to have to keep long term and he's far more productive at SG than SF, I think you have to build that roster around him playing that position.

But that's kind of the problem this team created when they went out and spent all that money on Holiday, Gordon and Evans. They essentially spent all this money on three combo guards without thinking about how they were going to fit together or who would play SF.

KnicksorBust
04-17-2014, 02:20 PM

It sort of depends on the lineup. If you've got Evans playing SG and not SF, who's your shooter at SF to counter Evans' poor perimeter shooting? They really don't have anybody. I suppose Morrow can play SF in a pinch, but I wouldn't want him getting substantial minutes there. And when you consider that Evans is the guy they're going to have to keep long term and he's far more productive at SG than SF, I think you have to build that roster around him playing that position.

But that's kind of the problem this team created when they went out and spent all that money on Holiday, Gordon and Evans. They essentially spent all this money on three combo guards without thinking about how they were going to fit together or who would play SF.

If you overlap the subs then Evans coming off the bench solves that. He can play backup PG and run the show with Morrow and Ryno spacing the floor.

ChiSox219
04-17-2014, 02:48 PM
You think Jrue-Gordon-Evans can play together?

Yeah they can and do, people seem to think they are all pretty similar but they arent. Gordon operates mainly on the perimeter, Tyreke inside, and Jrue more an all around scorer with a faciliator mentality. I think they compliment each other and are perfect guys to put out with Davis/Anderson.

The concern is whether or not they can play D at an above average level.

JEDean89
04-17-2014, 02:53 PM
the tyreke evans anthony davis duo can be a top 5 one two punch in the nba next year. Reke needs to be the starting 2 and they need to try and trade for a better SF.

Stunner
04-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Need to dump Gordon at the draft . Revisit that Bucks trade for Mayo .

Guppyfighter
04-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Mediocre. They locked themselves into a ****** overpaid backcourt while relinquishing two high lotto picks to do so.

Kaner
04-17-2014, 03:07 PM
If you overlap the subs then Evans coming off the bench solves that. He can play backup PG and run the show with Morrow and Ryno spacing the floor.

Evans was absolutely TERRIBLE off the bench like D-league bad. I think its mental mostly but its still a factor and when he was put in the starting lineup he started playing like an all-star.

I think they should trade Gordon for whatever they can get back and build around Evans, Holiday, and Davis.

Chronz
04-17-2014, 03:13 PM
They did give him a ton of shooters... that doesnt seem to hurt...what specifically didnt you like?

They were 2nd to last in rate of 3pt attempts, as their best shooters are either often injured or simply too one dimensional. Ryan Anderson is the ideal compliment offensively but he plays the same position as AD, unless they plan to develop him as a Center (which Im all for) they need to make some moves for better shooters.

You cant have Jrue and Tyreke in the same lineup IMO, Gordon would be great if he was healthy so I understand them holding onto some hope but those 2 ball dominant guards aren't my type of players for him. The fact that EJ and Reke play the same position makes the trio very awkward. I know most of the time the 2 and the 3 are interchangeable but Reke has had trouble defending the 3 in the past, so why have all 3 of them?

Chronz
04-17-2014, 03:15 PM
Agreed, but shouldn't they focus on fixing the starting unit before their bench?

Chronz
04-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Yeah they can and do, people seem to think they are all pretty similar but they arent. Gordon operates mainly on the perimeter, Tyreke inside, and Jrue more an all around scorer with a faciliator mentality. I think they compliment each other and are perfect guys to put out with Davis/Anderson.

The concern is whether or not they can play D at an above average level.

We're limited to small samples, the trio never really got to play together. Either due to injury or the coach not trusting the lineup, but based on the numbers, you're right, the trio is productive when combined with AD+Anderson though not demonstrably so.

Almost all of their primary lineups get outbombed from deep though.

mightybosstone
04-17-2014, 04:11 PM
So you're going to pay $33 million over the next three years for a guy to be your backup PG? I don't buy it. If you're going to spend that kind of money on those three guys, they either need to see the court more or someone needs to get traded.

ChiSox219
04-17-2014, 05:03 PM
So you're going to pay $33 million over the next three years for a guy to be your backup PG? I don't buy it. If you're going to spend that kind of money on those three guys, they either need to see the court more or someone needs to get traded.

Tyreke can play all 3 perimeter positions and he'll play close to starters minutes even if he's coming off the bench. I dont think a lot of people are familiar with his game and many that are fail to recognize his value.

TimeForAHoliday
04-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Bring Gordon off the bench, Jrue and Reke compliment each other perfectly. That's really the key. Jrue plays medicore with Gordon but he is great with Reke.

TimeForAHoliday
04-17-2014, 07:00 PM
They were 2nd to last in rate of 3pt attempts, as their best shooters are either often injured or simply too one dimensional. Ryan Anderson is the ideal compliment offensively but he plays the same position as AD, unless they plan to develop him as a Center (which Im all for) they need to make some moves for better shooters.

You cant have Jrue and Tyreke in the same lineup IMO, Gordon would be great if he was healthy so I understand them holding onto some hope but those 2 ball dominant guards aren't my type of players for him. The fact that EJ and Reke play the same position makes the trio very awkward. I know most of the time the 2 and the 3 are interchangeable but Reke has had trouble defending the 3 in the past, so why have all 3 of them?
The plan was to move Gordon all along. Unfortunely his contract is untradeable.

TimeForAHoliday
04-17-2014, 07:02 PM
Evans was absolutely TERRIBLE off the bench like D-league bad. I think its mental mostly but its still a factor and when he was put in the starting lineup he started playing like an all-star.

I think they should trade Gordon for whatever they can get back and build around Evans, Holiday, and Davis.
Not true. Reke actually played good off the bench when Ryno was healthy. After Ryno got injured Reke got more minutes with the Steamer and everything went to hell.

Vinny642
04-17-2014, 08:22 PM
I wouldnt trade Evans

I do want to trade Gordon though, not sure what to expect back from him.
I liked how Rivers improved towards the end of the season, he actually looks worthy of playing time.
But we do need another C, Withey is good off the bench, as is Ajinca.
Ryno back would help.. but would force AD to play the C spot, which he suffers in a little.

We dont have much options in the draft unless we get lucky in the lottery.... but lets be real now... that wont happen again.

I think Jrue-Evans-AD-Ryno is a solid core, with Roberts and Rivers backing them up, need more wing depth, and a real C

NBA_Starter
04-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Definitely foggy, they need to start doing something to make sure they can please The brow so he will stay.

KnicksorBust
04-17-2014, 09:06 PM
The plan was to move Gordon all along. Unfortunely his contract is untradeable.

I wouldnt trade Evans

I do want to trade Gordon though, not sure what to expect back from him.
I liked how Rivers improved towards the end of the season, he actually looks worthy of playing time.
But we do need another C, Withey is good off the bench, as is Ajinca.
Ryno back would help.. but would force AD to play the C spot, which he suffers in a little.

We dont have much options in the draft unless we get lucky in the lottery.... but lets be real now... that wont happen again.

I think Jrue-Evans-AD-Ryno is a solid core, with Roberts and Rivers backing them up, need more wing depth, and a real C

Eric Gordon + Smith/Roberts/Miller/Ajinca
for
Tyson Chandler + JR Smith + Raymond Felton

Who says no?

All-In
04-17-2014, 09:27 PM
They lost the trade to the Sixers……I think Tom Benson forced a culture onto Dell Demps and in return mortgaged their future….Signing Evans…trading Noel and another lotto pick for Jrue Holiday…You can’t force a culture and expect results…contenders build cultures, drafting and signing pieces to fit an offensive/defensive identity…not just “this guy is an all-star PG and this other guy is a 20ppg scorer, pare that with AD and Eric Gordon and we have our hit band!”…that’s not how it works………they might…might be a playoff team next year because they have AD but so what…their goal should’ve been to rebuild through the draft/free agency, develop their young core and have a 3 year plan for success….but now contending for championships is out of the question...I don’t see this core working....and plus how good of a coach is Monty?

NYKNYGNYY
04-17-2014, 09:48 PM
they have one of the best starting 5 all around...could find a player that would start for every team

NBA_Starter
04-17-2014, 09:53 PM
they have one of the best starting 5 all around...could find a player that would start for every team

So is it injuries, coaching or what?

Asik's better
04-17-2014, 10:15 PM
If they can, trade holiday and gordon. Evans in has shown towards the end of the season that when he starts and has the ball in his hand he is a very dangerous player. They have a nice core of Evans, anderson and Davis. If they can get picks for gordon and holiday they could build a strong team.

Crackadalic
04-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Yeah their 3 guards can't play together nor do they compliment one another

Of course holiday stays as he's your pg

It's Gordon and tyreke that's the problem

Gordon can't play a lick of defense. I feel like he's career will go to the Ben Gordon route

Reke I'm still not sure what he's best position is but it's sure not the three. If you slide him over to the two then you need a 3 that can shoot and defend. Ariza type player

Reke can at least show he has the talent to take pressure off AD and holiday when he's on. I was watching the kings okc game the other night and nobody could guard him

I'd trade Eric Gordon if it were up to me

Sadds The Gr8
04-18-2014, 12:27 AM
Wouldnt Reke be better as the super sub? He loves playing with Morrow and can really hog the rock with scrubs around him.

hasn't he sucked in that role everytime he's put in it? I don't recall him playing well as a 6th man ever. He's best as a starter with shooters and a good PnR big around him. If they can get a sharpshooting SF along with a C, they can be real dangerous if Reke plays like he did in the 2nd half

Sadds The Gr8
04-18-2014, 12:31 AM
for

Who says no?

if i were a knick fan i wouldnt like that

Vinny642
04-18-2014, 10:19 PM
Anyone saying trade Holiday is crazy and/or ignorant. There is no need to trade him.

The only NEED to trade would be Gordon. He is a waste of cap space. He is a slightly above average player, but takes up a lot of space, physically and financially. Would rather have Jrue and Tyfreak balling together, with Ryno stretching it out at the 3, with Davis and whoever setting picks and running the post.

NBA_Starter
04-18-2014, 10:22 PM
I could see them trading Gordon.

CousinsEvansDUO
04-18-2014, 11:01 PM
when tyreke is a starter, and the couch tells him you are the man play your game..he is unstoppable. It's only when he gets disrespected and put in a bench role and given 15mins or 25 mins that he fails to focus. Whenever he gets to play 35mins+ per game he always dominates, and there's no better overall SG than tyreke evans(james harden is worse than tyreke and always has been)

KnicksorBust
04-18-2014, 11:30 PM
for

Who says no?

if i were a knick fan i wouldnt like that

We only add like $6 mil to our 2015 cap space but its by upgrading from felton-jr to gordon. Its not bad.

Asik's better
04-18-2014, 11:42 PM
when tyreke is a starter, and the couch tells him you are the man play your game..he is unstoppable. It's only when he gets disrespected and put in a bench role and given 15mins or 25 mins that he fails to focus. Whenever he gets to play 35mins+ per game he always dominates, and there's no better overall SG than tyreke evans(james harden is worse than tyreke and always has been)

Are you a fisherman?

DillyDill
04-18-2014, 11:47 PM
Why did you guys let Ty-freaky go?

Vinny642
04-19-2014, 12:26 AM
Thankfully Gordon played decent enough and healthy enough to become actually tradable.

shep33
04-19-2014, 02:44 AM
Very shaky. Too much money was spent on role players. Plus, Gordon's contract is a killer. I don't see any team wanting him for 15 mill/per

KnicksorBust
06-26-2014, 08:19 AM
I wonder how different the poll results would be if this poll had just gone up today...

king4day
06-26-2014, 09:16 AM
I wonder how different the poll results would be if this poll had just gone up today...

This is the first time I saw it and I put Bright. It's still a really deep West. Davis/Asik, defensively, could become a poor mans Duncan/Robinson. They'll go as far as Davis' growth goes.

KnicksorBust
06-26-2014, 01:51 PM

This is the first time I saw it and I put Bright. It's still a really deep West. Davis/Asik, defensively, could become a poor mans Duncan/Robinson. They'll go as far as Davis' growth goes.

I think more people would agree with that now that Asik is there to anchor the defense and AD can play the 4.

flea
06-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Strange to see the hate. Gordon, well, that's a no-brainer. But I hated Tyreke until I watched him come on. The best thing about this team, and any team built for the future, is that they're young have an opportunity to gel. If Gordon and Rivers weren't on the team it would look a lot nicer - and I think that's what the GM is trying to do this offseason.

flea
06-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Davis is still going to play the 5 for large portions of the games, especially with all the small-ball teams out there now.